Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best NYC Dog

Which dog is best for an apartment in NYC? Best breeds? Male or Female? I'm leaning towards a Brussels Griffon or a Rat Terrier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2018 7:53 PM

A quiet dog.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2018 7:35 PM

Horrid face, OP. Stuff of nightmares.

[quote] or a Rat Terrier

I could never live with a dog of that name.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2018 7:48 PM

Rat terriers are cute, very smart, but super hyper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Op, my friend has a Brussels Griffon/Affen Pinscher mix and he is the sweetest dog. Very friendly, doesn’t require a lot of exercise, and rarely barks. They’re a funny looking breed but so lovable.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Great Danes are great apartment dogs. They don't want or need much exercise; they are mellow couch potatoes. They aren't yappers and they are a good deterrent from mugging and break ins. Our adult Danes only ate 2 - 3 cups of food a day.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2018 8:04 PM

[quote]Great Danes are great apartment dogs.

Apart from the fact that they are vast. Stupid advice.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2018 8:06 PM

Maltese dogs are nice companion dogs. They don't need a lot of exercise. They have hair, not fur. They do require grooming. I also like bichon frise dogs.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2018 8:11 PM

Maltese are fantastic companion dogs! I will have one again some day. She had the sweetest personality and she adored me. We lived in the country at the time so I don't know if she would have yapped a lot with more stimulus.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2018 8:34 PM

Most terrier breeds are pretty noisy (although I'm very partial to westies and cairns). Also fairly energetic. Some are extremely energetic (Jack Russells for instance).

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2018 8:42 PM

Cavalier King Charles are a tremendous pet. ALL they want to do is snuggle with you. BUT if you are never going to be home don't get one, they will be horribly miserable if you are not around to snuggle with the 24/7. They attach themselves to their one leader, and you become the focus of their universe, for life.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2018 8:43 PM

Dogs with smushed-in faces always have breathing problems and bad gas. Factor bad breath and dog farts into your equation OP.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2018 9:01 PM

Retired Racing Greyhounds are great apartment dogs!

They need very little exercise and enjoy laying around and rarely bark. Sweet, gentle personalities too.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2018 9:21 PM

Chihuahua-pit bull mix. It's the blatino husbear of dog breeds.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2018 9:31 PM

[quote]Maltese are fantastic companion dogs!

They'll start dressing like you in no time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2018 9:53 PM

God that thing looks like Lon Chaney Jr as you-know-what.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2018 9:59 PM

We are in a high rise in Chelsea. Our rat terrier rescue (we got him about 1.5 months ago) is very affectionate and has a lot of energy for a 7 year old dog. Unfortunately about two weeks after we got him he started barking whenever we left the apartment without him. I can't throw trash down the chute which is 7 feet from our front door without him barking. We tried a vibrating collar but he totally ignored and it took him about 2 minutes to figure out how to get the muzzle off so that was a bust too. I work from home so he is rarely alone for more than 2-3 hours but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I am hoping that as he spends more time with us he will stop barking, but I'm not confident this will change. I am not sure if this barking behavior is due to the breed or due to him having been in a shelter for a long time before we adopted him, but you might want to research the breed before you go with a rat terrier if barking is a concern you might have.

On the other hand, my friend who lives on the UES has a very sweet and friendly female shih tzu who doesn't make a peep and is a great dog. That dog was from a breeder in south Jersey not a shelter so that probably makes some difference.

Our neighbors have two obnoxious Yorkies that make way more noise than I would have expected. I used to think they were cute but now I'm not a fan of that breed.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck!

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2018 10:13 PM

I got a 6 month old 56lb mutt from the ASPCA. When I lived in NYC he was great, very aloof. He is well adjusted to just about anything having spent a good deal of his life in Manhattan/Brooklyn. We moved to Dallas 7 years ago, Hes going to be 13 in January. While he was a good city boy, I am glad to be able to give him a nice big yard in his retirement years.

My advice is temperament trumps breed. No size is the right size, but a mellow dog is best.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2018 10:27 PM

Rat terriers like most working breeds need lots of structured exercise every day or they will be very hyper including barking all day.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2018 11:03 PM

Sabrett®

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2018 12:31 AM

Terriers take a long time to mature. I don't think I would get one unless it was older.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2018 12:33 AM

The ideal dog for apartment dwellers is a well taxidermied one.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2018 3:36 AM

My late friend Scott always had a pair of beagles. The last two before he passed were George and Agnes. They, like all his beagles, were sweet, quiet and loving. He lived in a large building on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2018 10:42 AM

Adult terrier is not a bad choice, the advantage being you can adopt a mellow one.

R16 try a water pistol when he barks. I trained my adult Jack Russell mix by standing outside the door and squirting when I caught him barking. Now if I show him the water pistol he shuts up. Also distract them so they don't see you leave - small bone or dental chew.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2018 12:08 PM

Anyone who lives in an apartment and owns a dog is selfish.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2018 1:05 PM

what r12 said. Retired (3 or 4 years old) greyhound rescues are perfect. No barking and they seriously have very little desire to run but are happy to go out on a leash.

r24 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2018 1:40 PM

Any dog that can hunt down and kill the rats in your apartment. Must be fearless.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2018 1:43 PM

Get a Newfoundland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2018 1:54 PM

I'm also thinking of getting a dog and am concerned about getting a dog that barks excessively. Leaning toward a shih tzu. Researched little and read that Malteses can bark too much, so that kind of puts me off them, as cute as they are. Greyhounds are great but they can be very spooked. It really depends on the dog itself. True they don't bark really very much at all.

Oh, and it's also true r24 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2018 2:07 PM

Shiba Inu. Hearty intelligent dogs. Nice sized. Good temper. And handsome dogs too

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2018 2:57 PM

A house cat.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2018 4:05 PM

R22 I actually owned a beagle. I had a yard at the time. I really would not recommend a beagle for an apartment unless you are willing to walk the dog regularly for exercise (dog's exercise). They also like to chew and destroy stuff. That being said, they are very cute, adorable, loving, and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2018 6:59 PM

If you care anything at all about me, OP, you won't get a dog.

R24 is right: [quote]Anyone who lives in an apartment and owns a dog is selfish.]

And it's r25 who's the idiot. Terriers are very social dogs and extremely energetic; they like company and love and need a lot of exercise and activity. It's cruel to keep a dog cooped up in a NYC apartment.

Since you're probably going to do it anyway, I believe Neapolitan mastiffs are big couch potatoes; they don't require much in the way of exercise and just want to lie around. But, then, of course, you're going to have to pick up dog shit the size of a horse's dump.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2018 7:31 PM

Someone mentioned Great Danes above. I had a friend that had one in a small apartment. They are great apartment dogs strangely enough and don't need a lot of exercise (I'd guess they eat a lot though, being so large.)

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2018 7:51 PM

Millions and millions of apartment dwellers all over the world have dogs. It is not cruel for a dog to live in an apartment. It is far more cruel to leave a dog ignored in a back yard which is what many suburbanites do. Don't be such judgmental pricks r24 and r32.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2018 7:56 PM

A beagle is not a good NYC dog.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2018 8:02 PM

I have some sympathy with R24's POV, but I think it's fine as long as apartment dog owners are going to be home a lot, and take their dogs out for walks regularly (yes, even small dogs need walks). As long as you provide food, love, companionship and exercise, the dog will be fine. If you're not going to provide those things, don't get a dog.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2018 8:09 PM

My city apartment dog gets multiple walks every day, interacts with all sorts of other dogs and people, goes to the park at least a few times a week, sometimes comes into work with me, and gets way more exercise and stimulation than my suburban family dog ever got.

He’s a Corgi which is a good size for an apartment but they have lots of energy and are rather loud. Plus they shed like nobody’s business . He’s great for me but probably not for everyone. But city dogs can lead very exciting and fulfilling lives provided the owner is committed to it.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2018 8:09 PM

Pugs. They're not yappy, kind of lazy, don't need a lot of exercise and they're not too big. Ours doesn't make a peep when we go out and leave him at home. He does complain if we leave him alone in a strange place, like a hotel room though. Yes, they do shed a lot. Three walks a day and he's good.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2018 8:12 PM

Dog in OP is fucking hideous.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2018 8:12 PM

I have a cousin with a Shit Zu that has never once stepped foot on grass. It pees on a pad in her apartment. Which is terrible.

My mother has a pair of small rescue poodles. They're great dogs for indoors. They don't shed and they amuse each other when she's away.

I have a doxle, but I wouldn't recommend those if you don't have a yard. Penny constantly runs in and out the doggy door when I'm away and seems to have a shitload of energy during the day when I'm not at home.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2018 8:13 PM

I have my third Italian Greyhound. They are small, so good for an apartment, and very owner-centric so you'll get lots of love.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2018 8:22 PM

Aren't they odd and shivery?

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2018 8:32 PM

R24 is the idiot. There are plenty of dogs who fare very well in an apartment. Many of those dogs would even be in real danger in rural areas with wide open spaces because of predators--for example, very small toy breeds that are easy prey for predatory birds. A chihuahua is way better off in a NYC apartment than on some large farm upstate where it faces all kinds of threats.

What's selfish is forcing a dog (or any animal) into ANY environment it's not suited for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2018 8:45 PM

Dogs are fine for apartments if you don’t leave them alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2018 9:20 PM

But they can be left alone for more than 4 hours in a house? That makes no sense r44.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2018 9:22 PM

No, they can’t.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2018 9:28 PM

Somehow my post at R43 got truncated. I meant to add that the article has some ideas for good dogs for small apartments, but really you need to look at individual dogs. All the more reason to go to a shelter or rescue, where they will likely have a better assessment of an individual dog's temperament/experience and can recommend one suitable for your type of home.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2018 9:31 PM

What about Border Terriers? They're really cute.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2018 9:34 PM

Pugs are really sweet dogs in my experience with them. Top of my list.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2018 9:35 PM

Fox Terrier like Asta from The Thin Man. The are so cute that all the boys and old ladies will talk to you.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2018 9:38 PM

miniature poodle.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2018 10:02 PM

These are popular in my neighborhood and seem perfect for nyc apartments, they are especially good for breeding and are often content to just play with a bone for hours. downside is high maintenance and some need to be caged for bad behaviour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2018 10:22 PM

French bulldogs have replaced pugs as the go-to everybody has one pet in my apartment dense neighborhood (in Santa Monica). According to an article on the AKC website, they don't bark a lot. They're awfully cute and come in different colors.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2018 10:43 PM

Rat terriers are not necessarily hyper, mine tended to be a couch potato. They are sweet dogs with a high prey drive for small animals. They are intense and when they are focused they don't care if you don't like what they're doing.

Mine was not hyper but he suffered from serious separation anxiety. I had to get another dog and then the ratter was fine. I don't know if I would have another one or any other terrier, that intensity can be a real pain.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2018 11:11 PM

A cat.

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2018 11:17 PM

My Boo Baby is a Yorkie. Small, doesn’t shed but needs regular grooming and is pad trained. Is happy with one daily walk. Not a big barker but hates the UPS guy. Nips ankles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2018 12:25 AM

Get yourself a smooth-haired miniature dachshund. Contrary to the linked site above, they need exercise via twice or more daily walks just like every breed. Loyal, stubborn and mischievous, nothing beats a doxie as a best friend.

OP whatever breed of dog you select, please provide a nutritionally sound diet and find the best support team (vet, dog walker/boarding facility and independent pet shop).

Warm wags and wishing you many healthy, happy years together.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2018 12:44 AM

NIO dog, OP! You know what happened to that little Buddy dog you begged for when you were a kid.

Just get something like a hedgehog and forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2018 12:52 AM

I have a rat terrier/chihuahua mix and he rarely barks and doesn’t have separation anxiety. He came from the pound and is fine in my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2018 12:58 AM

Go to the pound and rescue a dog. I assume you have a decent income. Find a dog walker to take your dog out 2 times a day while you are busy at work. Plan to spend at least $30 - 40 a day on your dog. If you can't afford this, get a cat.

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2018 12:59 AM

R60 here I sometimes had my (rescue) dog spend the day at Happy Paws on Lafayette St. She really loved this place. They have a doggie cam so you can watch your pooch running around. So Op check this place out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2018 1:01 AM

Stuffed.

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2018 1:03 AM

Actually, Great Danes are EXCELLENT apartment dogs, after puppyhood. They sleep ALL the time and are very gentle. Unfortunately, they only live about seven years.

by Anonymousreply 63October 19, 2018 2:16 AM

Day Afternoon

by Anonymousreply 64October 19, 2018 2:20 AM

R61 we have similar places in metro Atlanta. This is a booming business idea.

by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2018 10:47 AM

I wouldn't want to pick up a Great Dane turd. As for French Bulldogs, no. Nasty creatures and I can't help but roll my eyes when a fellow gay walks by with one.

by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2018 11:02 AM

Pugs. Once they reach about 3 years old they become slugs which is a good thing. They can bark at times but not excessively. Tip:black pugs shed far less than fawn ones.

by Anonymousreply 67October 19, 2018 11:11 AM

I think the best option is to have none. It’s better for you and even for the dog. You’ll both benefit from that. Personal experience.

by Anonymousreply 68October 19, 2018 11:16 AM

That's your own personal experience, r68, based on what is your situation. Why are you laying your experience on everyone else? I know plenty of people who have dogs.

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2018 3:12 PM

R69 Well, good luck with that in NYC. If it were somewhere else, sure.

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2018 4:42 PM

Get a rescue!

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2018 4:57 PM

r68/r70, what the fuck are you even saying? You'r adding t the conversation and nothing about your experience, which you leave out.

And in case you've never been to NYC, there are a lot of residents with dogs. They seem fairly content.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2018 6:27 PM

*You're adding nothing to

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2018 6:27 PM

R73 Oh boy. Do you want to know my experience with the dog? Fine, I didn’t know I had to describe in detail that as well. Chill.

So my dog was and still is a Mioritic Sheperd dog. I wanted to try and bring her with me when I moved to the city and not leave her with my parents. Big mistake. I lost 5 pounds between taking care of her needs ( which are very understandable) and handling my first job there. I lived in a 1bed apartment and she wasn’t ( and this I should have known better) suited for that. Where my parents live she has all the commodities, big spaces to run and not just a small apartment. But at first I thought I could handle that bc I wanted her with me.

I’m not an anti animal lover, I love my dog. But, in my case, she was better off with my parents.

by Anonymousreply 74October 22, 2018 7:43 AM

The OP has told us nothing about his situation so we can’t advise him not to get a dog just because he’s in NYC. There are certain breeds that do better in the country, sure. R74, your posts aren’t helpful. Sorry.

[quote]French bulldogs have replaced pugs as the go-to everybody has one pet in my apartment dense neighborhood (in Santa Monica). According to an article on the AKC website, they don't bark a lot. They're awfully cute and come in different colors.

French bulldogs and pugs are NOT cute. I have no idea why anyone thinks they are. I walk one. She is an asshole. Refuses to walk down the damn sidewalk, stubborn for no reason. Their legs are little and spindly and can’t support the heft of their muscular, thick bodies. Their flat faces cause breathing problems and they are often sick and require surgery. Their legs became very weak and worn out from struggling to walk.

They’re basically abominations of breeding. Basic bitches (men and women) seem to love them, especially Asians. I see zero appeal.

by Anonymousreply 75October 22, 2018 8:23 AM

Oh, and rat and Jack Russel terriers are also assholes who will snap at other dogs constantly. They are barkers, very hyperactive, and mischievous (not in a fun way). Not recommended.

by Anonymousreply 76October 22, 2018 8:26 AM

My rat terrier was sweet and he loved other dogs and also children.

by Anonymousreply 77October 22, 2018 11:13 AM

If you have a busy work or social life as many NYers do, please don’t get a dog. They want and need your company.

And don’t even think about “crates”. Somehow “crates” slipped into acceptable practice, but dogs don’t belong in cages.

by Anonymousreply 78October 22, 2018 12:29 PM

Dogs crave crates. It’s part of their evolution.

by Anonymousreply 79October 22, 2018 1:10 PM

The Best Dog in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 22, 2018 3:43 PM

r74, why don't you chill? You were the one advising all and sundry a dog is a bad idea in NYC. I was right, your situation is unique to you and doesn't have anything to do with others who might be considering the leap to dog ownership in the city.

by Anonymousreply 81October 22, 2018 4:41 PM

[R24] We just moved from the suburbs back to the city. Most people with backyards never walk their dogs. The dogs are destined to life within a yard. We did notice suburban dogs receive less exercise and are more neurotic.

by Anonymousreply 82October 22, 2018 4:52 PM

R81 Gurl, I made 2 posts in here and then moved on. It’s up to you. If my 2 replies triggered you so badly then put me on ignore. I shared my experience and expressed my opinion. If I told you that we’re all better dead than alive would you still keep this back and forth?

by Anonymousreply 83October 22, 2018 5:23 PM

Gurl, r83, you had to be asked multiple times what was your experience to warrant your belief people shouldn't have dogs in their apartments. Get. Over. It.

by Anonymousreply 84October 22, 2018 5:38 PM

I know this is a cliche since a lot of gay men have them but a French Bulldog is a good dog for an apartment and the city. They are not too big, need moderate exercise and are very friendly. Also very cute and you usually meet a lot of new people through them. But they're expensive and you hardly find one at a shelter.

by Anonymousreply 85October 22, 2018 5:43 PM

Any thoughts on a Shih Tzu, anyone? They seem pretty low-key and not overly into barking.

by Anonymousreply 86October 22, 2018 5:55 PM

Not sure I’ve ever seen a French bull bark. But any time I see one, either it’s pulling the owner or the owner is pulling the dog. Stubborn but freaking adorable.

There are a few in my NYC building.

by Anonymousreply 87October 22, 2018 5:58 PM

I posted above about seeing lots of French bulldogs in the last few years here in Santa Monica. I think they're cute so I sometimes used to talk to the owners (when they were a novelty a couple of years ago) and people say their breathing is much better than pugs. (I wonder if all the people with pugs moved away or had their dogs offed; maybe they don't live that long? Funny how I hardly see any of them anymore and they used to be everywhere.)

By the way, The American Kennel Club has a website (a much better source of info than DL I would think) where you can put in your requirements (i.e., apartment, less barking, etc.) Frenchies and pugs came out as not very noisy. I personally don't have a dog these days (or a cat--my last cat was difficult) because I live in a rent-controlled apartment and I would have to go through all that fakery to get a "therapy dog" or whatever they're called, and then have to deal with my hateful landlords.

OP: Go adopt a dog. I'm sure you can find one and you will have done something good for yourself and the planet.

by Anonymousreply 88October 22, 2018 6:00 PM

[quote]A quiet dog.

Would that be the dead kind r1?

by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2018 6:00 PM

one that fetches the perfect martini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 22, 2018 6:06 PM

I'm a HUGE fan of the Cavalier King Charles. We have two--Eli and Betty--and they are the sweetest and most loving dogs known to man. Perfect apartment dogs, easy to train nd perfectly happy to be inside, with you. (Oh, and the adorable-ness factor can't be beat.)

by Anonymousreply 91October 22, 2018 6:37 PM

R85, please see my post at R75.

You can also read a lot about everything wrong with the breed if you google it. There’s even a book about the perils of breeding, which focuses on “Frenchies”, called A Matter Of Breeding.

They’re not adorable. And you have to pay a breeder for them, which you shouldn’t be doing when there are plenty of excellent dogs in kill shelters who need to be adopted.

Don’t adopt a pit bull. That breed needs to go extinct. Sorry.

I can vouch for the King Charles Cavalier. Gorgeous dogs and very sweet, definitely “great for an apartment”.

by Anonymousreply 92October 23, 2018 7:11 AM

[quote]Don’t adopt a pit bull. That breed needs to go extinct. Sorry.

Don't be sorry. It should go without saying.

[quote]I can vouch for the King Charles Cavalier. Gorgeous dogs and very sweet, definitely “great for an apartment”.

I've never known one personally, but the ones I've met in passing have all seemed very sweet. Very "licky." I wish there were a shorthaired version.

by Anonymousreply 93October 23, 2018 10:45 AM

I agree with the gay boy puppy. Or an older very faithful slave who has handyman and housekeeping skills. Get a very long chain. The apartment is cleaned while you are at work.

by Anonymousreply 94October 23, 2018 11:47 AM

Best NYC dog - Nathan's.

by Anonymousreply 95October 23, 2018 12:05 PM

[quote]I'm a HUGE fan of the Cavalier King Charles. We have two--Eli and Betty--and they are the sweetest and most loving dogs known to man. Perfect apartment dogs, easy to train nd perfectly happy to be inside, with you. (Oh, and the adorable-ness factor can't be beat.)

They're the real go-to dog when people inquire about easy maintenance BUT I'm told they're stupid, which I could not deal with. I have enough of that with people, especially family members.

Has anyone mentioned cockapoos? They seem very easy and happy in the city.

Try to get one that's more poo than cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 23, 2018 12:48 PM

Someone in my family had a pit bull. It was the sweetest dog ever. I'd rather have a pit bull than know an asshole like r93 and his ilk any day.

by Anonymousreply 97October 23, 2018 12:53 PM

[quote]I'd rather have a pit bull than know an asshole like [R93] and his ilk any day.

Until you wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 98October 23, 2018 1:07 PM

No, I'd much rather. Pit bulls over most Dataloungers including you, r98.

by Anonymousreply 99October 23, 2018 1:16 PM

Every dog has a different personality. My terrier, adopted when he was 7, was a total couch potato.

I'd suggest having a look at the adult dogs at your shelters: find one that suits your personality.

by Anonymousreply 100October 23, 2018 1:19 PM

I love miniature schnauzers. They're very intelligent, easy to train, don't shed and adapt well to apartment living. They do require a lot of brushing to keep them looking good, but I think they look just as cute when you let 'em go a bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2018 2:18 PM

Are they shorthaired dogs, r101, or do they need constant grooming?

by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2018 5:18 PM

Terriers only need once-in-a-while grooming.

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2018 5:44 PM

A schnauzer is a terrier, then?

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2018 5:46 PM

OMG!

I always thought schnauzers were of the terrier family. I just read this on wikipedia--

"The miniature schnauzer is classified as a utility (UK, Australia, New Zealand) or terrier group (USA, Canada),[2] however, they are not related to the terrier group as do not have the typical terrier temperament, coat, shape of head and body.[3][20]"

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2018 5:51 PM

My grandmother had a miniature schnauzer named Pepe. He was a real cuddle bug and lived until he was about 12. No health issues, and my nan cut his hair herself. He was very patient with children but really just liked to hang out with my nan. He used to eat bread & butter pickles and cooked carrots as snacks.

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2018 5:55 PM

When someone says a dog doesn't shed that means it will need regular grooming. And not at -home grooming by your grandma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2018 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!