Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Kindergarten Teacher: is this Maggie Gyllenhaal's finest performance to date?

In Netflix’s troubling psychodrama, the award-winning actor shows off her uncanny ability to play a fascinating anti-heroine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2019 6:07 PM

She annoys the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2018 4:46 PM

Maggie is getting career best reviews for her performance in this film can she be nominated for Oscar or Golden Globe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2018 4:46 PM

Gyllenhaal always looks like she needs a bath.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2018 4:47 PM

‘The Kindergarten Teacher’: Maggie Gyllenhaal Peaks in Poetry Prodigy Drama

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2018 4:48 PM

She's so fug I actually find her difficult go watch.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2018 4:50 PM

For 41, she looks more like 61.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2018 4:53 PM

She seems so pleased with herself, eternally grateful and satisfied for deigning to share her unending talents with the masses.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2018 5:06 PM

I tried watching this but lasted about 15 mins.

The little boy and his stupid 'poetry' is so bad I wanted something horrible to happen to him.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2018 5:10 PM

[quote]She seems so pleased with herself, eternally grateful and satisfied for deigning to share her unending talents with the masses.

She's very kind in person when not on set. She does seem to come off as pretentious otherwise but that isn't reflective of her actual personality face to face.

I've always appreciated the fact that, unlike her brother, she went to and finished school at Columbia. She actually bothered to study her craft even after that. She took the long way 'round and it shows. Her work in The Honourable Woman was amazing and she always gives a solid performance.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2018 5:19 PM

Katie Holmes wasn’t available?

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2018 5:32 PM

Thought it was brilliant. Don’t read the Rolling Stone review at R2, too many spoilers. Maggie G. is fantastic in it. She’s always so fearless. Have loved her since Secretary.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2018 5:38 PM

Not all of it works, but Maggie Gyllenhaal is stunning and continues to be one of the most underrated actresses working today (The Deuce is great). She carries this intriguing premise through some bumps all the way to its intensely uncomfortable yet utterly perfect ending. It doesn't have all the answers for you and is better for it. Gyllenhaal won't be recognized for the role, but she and Toni Collette mop the floor with the current frontrunners.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2018 5:43 PM

R10 Tammy's ex beard is an awful actress

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2018 5:43 PM

Can you elaborate more on "she studied her craft" after college?

I'm curious about her background in terms of studying acting and developing her craft, which is a total lost art for actors these days.

People diss Cooper but he's a properly trained actor who has worked relentlessly to be a very good actor. I didn't know Maggie did the same figured because of her family she got in on a whim.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2018 5:51 PM

It's garbage. Watch the original Israeli film that it is based on from 2014 - now there is a work of art and a lead performance of perfection to go with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2018 5:51 PM

In 1995, she graduated from Harvard–Westlake and moved to New York to attend Columbia University, where she studied literature and Eastern religions. She also studied acting for a summer term at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London, England.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2018 6:02 PM

I am watching this movie on Netflix. I had to stop. I find the subject matter difficult. I have always liked Maggie G’s performances and she is great in Kindergarten Teacher. It reminds me alot of her performance and her character in Secretary.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2018 6:11 PM

The Secretary was garbage

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2018 6:21 PM

Why is the subject matter difficult? This sounds like a sweet story?

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2018 6:25 PM

Cooper is trained but always falls short of delivering in emotional scenes. Couldn’t do it in Silver Linings, doesn’t deliver it in ASIB. Sometimes his performances seem more like he’s in acting class.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2018 6:30 PM

[quote]Why is the subject matter difficult? This sounds like a sweet story?

I haven’t read any reviews so I don’t know how spoilery to get but......it’s not a sweet story. The main character is an anti-hero.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2018 11:37 PM

Has anyone worked with Maggie or know her? She seems unbearably smug in interviews and I've read that the crews on her films always hate her

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2018 7:32 PM

Maggie is a cunt because all famous people are -- especially those who are entitled Hollywood DNA types .....

But also because she feels she should be a MUCH bigger star and it never materialized for her. It's hard to remember but she was IT for about 15 minutes when she first came out. She saw herself as a Gooper Paltrow-Amy Adams level of movie star with critical success. But A+ list.

As it stands, nobody knows her, her looks are lampooned -- her IMDB page was the most horrific, mean-spirited message board of the entire site -- and she won't be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2018 6:09 PM

Watched it last night. Agree with R12 that not everything works script-wise, but Gyllenhaal is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2018 6:16 PM

Maggie Gyllenhaal's performance carries 'Kindergarten Teacher'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2018 10:14 PM

R22 she's very kind

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2018 10:15 PM

I liked the movie. I was more impressed with the kid prodigy.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2018 10:20 PM

That reminds me, I gotta buy some syrup

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2018 10:28 PM

If you loved "Notes on a Scandal," you might like this. It's an ambiguous and creepy psychodrama. Best not to read any of the reviews before seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2018 3:30 AM

I know that on one occasion when she was offered a supporting role in an ensemble cast type of film (where every actor was more famous than her) she asked for additional scenes to be written for her character - she didn't consider the part to be worth playing as written. It would have made no sense for the story of the film to do such a thing, so she was replaced. I believe the impression among those who were there for this exchange was: "thinks VERY highly of herself."

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2018 4:13 AM

Her characters always give that air--- "thinks highly of herself." Even on The Deuce, her character acts too good for the pimps.

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2018 4:52 AM

She has no sexual heat with any co-star.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2018 6:45 AM

Maggie and Gael

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2018 1:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2018 1:42 PM

She is weird looking. Gael is super hot, but also really tiny. I never noticed it until this movie.

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2018 1:50 PM

Gael is 168 cm

Maggie is 175 cm

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2018 8:15 PM

Just finished watching this. It’s really great. Uncomfortable and awkward, but not horrifying.

My boyfriend has worked with both Gyllenhaals and said they’re both cunts. Regardless I think Maggie is fantastic in this. And it should go without saying that there’s a difference between being a cunt and being a bad actor. She’s pretty great. And no more full of herself than Meryl Streep. Come on.

Highly recommend this movie. Wish there were more like it—slowly paced, thoughtful, ambiguous, unsettling. Fuck the comic book hero movies.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2018 6:31 AM

This version confused me so I watched the original which was better and put it more in context.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2018 7:16 AM

Much of Maggie's cunty behavior is because she feels like she should be a MUCH bigger star compared her lesser contepmperoraies and peers (in terms of acting ability) and has openly admitted in the past she would love to get parts other actresses like Gwyneth Paltrow and Amy Adams got. This was a few years ago. And she's right to feel that way. I think it's clear she's the best actress of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2018 6:19 PM

Men don't want to fuck Maggie like they do other actresses who are deemed more attractive. Sad but that's the way it goes. And always has.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2018 6:20 PM

Maggie Gyllenhaal On ‘The Sexiness, Opera & Punk’ In Netflix’s ‘The Kindergarten Teacher’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2018 9:34 AM

R40 She's very popular in celebrity nude sites

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2018 9:35 AM

R23 you must not have ever seen the George Clooney message board! It was surreal, all of this vicious stuff about him being married to a terrorist. The same thread, endlessly. I wanted to discuss Solaris but it was all hostility there.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2018 10:15 AM

Yes, I think it is. She is brilliant in this film. So is Parker Sevak, the child actor who plays Jimmy. The only weak link is Gael Garcia Bernal, who is terribly miscast as the poetry professor.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2018 10:21 AM

She's a good actress but she and Franco are about the worst things about The Deuce. I just lose interest as soon as their characters are on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2018 11:37 AM

The kid in this was so annoying and the poetry was shit.

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2018 11:39 AM

R38 I'm glad someone has watched the original Israeli film which is far superior in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2018 12:01 PM

I don't think Maggie is a great actress... more like, passable. Also, from interviews she either seems extremely pompous or on the spectrum or something. No wonder her career is going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2019 1:07 AM

Robbed that she wasn't nominated for a Golden Globe. She's a terrible human (mainly because she's so unhappy about her life and career) but she's a damned fine actress.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2019 5:49 PM

She doesn't really interest me as an actress but I think she looks better in the picture at R33 than I have ever seen her look.

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote]If you loved "Notes on a Scandal," you might like this.

And with that recommendation, I will be watching "The Kindergarten Teacher" tonight. I loved Notes on a Scandal; anything that shows how deliciously awful people can be, I am there in the front row.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2019 6:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!