Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Sprightly, Sparkly Theme from 'Family Affair'

Was anyone else hypnotized by the sheer glamour and sophistication of rhinestones being filmed through a kaleidoscope?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2019 9:41 PM

Yes! And that apartment!

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2018 1:06 AM

Yeah, I liked it the FIRST time I saw it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2018 1:11 AM

In the 1970s when I was sometimes home sick from school my mom would bring the small portable (B&W) TV set to my bedroom so I can have something to watch in bed. It was all reruns, from Batman to Bewitched to Family Affair. I enjoyed Family Affair because I was about the same age as the twin kids, but I didn't take into account that the shows were older and that the actors who played the kids were practically adults by then.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2018 1:15 AM

It was so glamorous and enchanting. I loved the cursive written credits, too.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2018 1:17 AM

And the whole family ended up a train-wreck which is sort of satisfying in it's own way.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2018 1:29 AM

It gave me illusions of living a glamorous life in New York. Of course, that wasn't manageable. There were lots of us who wanted that life.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2018 1:31 AM

Uncle Bill and Mr. French were on the downlow lovers; whoever couldn't see that was blind! It's how it was done back then.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2018 1:37 AM

The opening was the best part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2018 2:18 AM

In retrospect, it was a weird opening sequence for a somber-ish low-key family comedy. Certainly had nothing to do with the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2018 2:30 AM

I loved it! It was mesmerizing, thank you for starting this thread. I liked every character, but fantasized about having Mr. French, or an adult like that in my life. But I ADORED the dad....I used to practice saying Uncle Bill, Uncle Bill!! Like the kids. I thought all grown men were like that, loved his gravelly voice, blond hair, always dressed so nicely and I just KNEW he smelled divine. And his shoulders in those suits, I can’t even, I want to snuggle into his big fatherly chest right now. If only...

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2018 2:32 AM

I was a baby when its original run finished so I didn't see it until it started airing every day after school at 4:30 when i was six or seven, but unfortunately it took the time spot of my favorite show -- Petticoat Junction. I vividly remember being furious that PJ wasn't on anymore and throwing a fit. I was mostly a well-behaved kid, but this just destroyed my world. My mom tried to tell me that I'd love Family Affair -- it had been a favorite of hers -- but I refused to watch and stomped down the hall of our trailer to my room.

Luckily right around the same time, I discovered three women to take the place of the Bradley sisters on Wednesday nights, and they were even more glamorous. Goodbye Betty Jo, Bobbie Jo and Billie Jo, and hello Sabrina, Jill and Kelly!

I did end up watching some episodes of Family Affair later and found it dull.

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2018 2:32 AM

R11, You're cute.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2018 2:38 AM

Mr. French was always carrying around that damp towel. Was it a cumrag?

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2018 2:40 AM

I still get chills thinking of Buffy and Jody, in Spain, terrified and in hysterics as the the bus rolled away with Mr. French left behind.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2018 2:43 AM

Kaleidoscope?

Copycats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2018 2:45 AM

I thought the theme song was a copy of the opening riff of "Something" by the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2018 2:46 AM

The credits weren't quite as sparkly in black and white and with constant rabbit ears static, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2018 2:47 AM

I don't know why these pixy sticks fascinated me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2018 2:51 AM

Fuckin' Screen Gems. Let's see -- what can we animate that will be the cheapest. How about a couple dots and some lines? Done!

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2018 2:59 AM

Later they came up with the infamous "S From Hell" logo. There's even a documentary film about people who are afraid of this logo:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2018 3:02 AM

music by DeVol

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2018 3:02 AM

As was mentioned in a previous thread, that BIG CENTER DOORKNOB!

Gla-MOOR!!!

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2018 3:04 AM

R20, the music sounds like it's sayin SHIT

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2018 3:05 AM

That Screen Gems music has something terribly wrong with its frequency. Very unnerving!

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2018 3:24 AM

A friend told me of a childhood nightmare he had that was due to the kaleidoscope effect iin "The Lucy Show" opening.

In the dream he was helping his mother weed a flower bed. All the marigold blossoms turned into Lucy's face and started to swirl in the kaleidoscope effect. He woke up screaming.

by Anonymousreply 25October 10, 2018 3:40 AM

The depressing show didn’t fulfill the promise of the music and the sparkling jewels. I’d rather watch the opening over and over for a half-hour than watch an episode.

by Anonymousreply 26October 10, 2018 3:40 AM

Kaleidoscope theme songs were apparently big in the '60s, because there was also this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 10, 2018 3:46 AM

That creepy Lucy puppet from Here's Lucy was the stuf of nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 28October 10, 2018 3:49 AM

Great thread. I loved that opening and had forgotten about the center doorknob! It was a 5 bedroom apartment (or did buffy and jody share?) R14, that Spain episode also freaked me out. As a young kid, I was always thinking about getting left alone or being kidnapped. One too many episodes pretending to not be watching Edge of Night, I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2018 3:55 AM

R28, the "Here's Lucy" puppet looks a bit like the doll in those "Chucky" movies from the 80s, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2018 3:56 AM

The one that freaked me out was about Buffy's friend Eve (DL fave Eve Plumb) who was dying, so the Davises had an early Christmas party for her.

What a morbid premise for a 1960s sitcom about kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2018 4:36 AM

The FA bus episode also did a number on me when I was little (and I didn’t even know about human trafficking then or I would have died from fright).

Was I alone in loving the Lucy puppet? I wanted to have her live in my Barbie townhouse and drive the groovy Country Camper.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2018 4:42 AM

Imagine that old ciggies and whiskey voice, "wanna play?"

by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2018 4:45 AM

A very wise DL poster suggested in one of the numerous FA threads that the opening was actually an homage to Auntie Mame. Both deal with orphaned children who come from far away to live in the big city with an aunt/uncle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2018 4:54 AM

I had watched soaps enough to know what the word 'affair' meant, thanks to Bernice Robinson having an AFFAIR with John Randolph.

So Family and Affair and that theme and the twirling lights really messed me up.

by Anonymousreply 35October 10, 2018 4:57 AM

Also this 3-D way of printing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 10, 2018 4:58 AM

Yes r35. I saw those same spinning lights when I shot Tom Baxter. And then Greg Barnard. And then, all the time when I drank.

by Anonymousreply 37October 10, 2018 5:00 AM

I thought it was so elegant that they had a live-in servant.

And Unca Bill was cute.

by Anonymousreply 38October 10, 2018 5:03 AM

[quote]I thought it was so elegant that they had a live-in servant.

BFD.

by Anonymousreply 39October 10, 2018 5:14 AM

Love the theme. Hated the show.

by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2018 5:19 AM

I can remember being fascinated by the opening as a toddler.

by Anonymousreply 41October 10, 2018 6:01 AM

There was something vaguely European about the music, was that a particular genre?

by Anonymousreply 42October 10, 2018 4:35 PM

R37, exactly.

by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2018 4:37 PM

[quote]I still get chills thinking of Buffy and Jody, in Spain, terrified and in hysterics as the the bus rolled away with Mr. French left behind.

FA was a favorite for a couple of years when my sister and I were kids; Johnny Whitaker is my age. I don't remember the bus or even that it was Spain, but the only thing I remember about the show is when they were lost in a foreign country; I think they slept in a barn one night? I just recall that it was very scary and worrying. Oh, I also remember what must have been a very early one where Buffy and Jody got the keys to Uncle Bill's car and went to the parking garage, and one of them was going to work the pedals and the other the steering wheel.

I think as the kids got older we lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2018 5:18 PM

Buffy and Jody weren't all that. They were trash. Poor cousins from the other side of the tracks

by Anonymousreply 45October 10, 2018 5:42 PM

I remember the one about a bonsai tree. It freaked me out as a kid because if the tree died it meant the man who owned it died. And somehow Jodie had it and it was dying. That's what I think of whenever I see a bonsai tree. You people are right, there was some morbid episodes.

by Anonymousreply 46October 10, 2018 7:07 PM

I never understood why we bought the idea of a man like Uncle Bill would employ someone like Mr. French. Wouldn't it be great if someone could edit some of these shows so Lurch would be the butler for Eddie's Father, Mrs. Livingston the housekeeper for the Addams Family, Rosario for the Brady Bunch, and Mr. French for Karen Walker.

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2018 8:13 PM

I especially like the version of the opening with the voiceover saying "Family Affair." It's like the voiceover that announces "The Beverly Hillbillies" with so much enthusiasm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2018 8:24 PM

She was cute you dumb assholes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2018 8:29 PM

R49, another DL'er said as a kid, he performed the entire Lucy puppet performance with the TV for his mom including the wink and kiss to Gary. He said his mom cried herself to sleep that night.

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2018 10:00 PM

They didn't exactly overspend on the Family Affair open did they? I mean the rhinestones were probably borrowed from Phyllis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2018 10:18 PM

So many depressing episodes: Beasley lost or damaged, Bill threatening to send the kids away or marry his tarte du jour (upending everyone’s lives), and down-on-their-luck, one episode “friends”. It was like a live action version of a Keane painting.

No wonder we all grew up to heavily fuel the pharmaceutical industry.

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2018 1:39 AM

[quote]Buffy and Jody weren't all that. They were trash. Poor cousins from the other side of the tracks

They were from Indiana, IIRC. Future Pence voters, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2018 1:46 AM

Mrs. Beasley was no Kitty Carryall.

by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2018 1:47 AM

Fancy kids ain't allowed to get doity.

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2018 1:47 AM

So many shows with single fathers back then.

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2018 1:48 AM

The credits are like a mildly groovy little acid trip. Families were getting psychedelic in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2018 1:50 AM

[quote]Fancy kids ain't allowed to get doity.

"Fat, fat, the water rat!"

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2018 1:57 AM

Who wants bread n’ sugahhh?!

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2018 2:00 AM

Wasn't Nancy Walker a semi regular? I remember thinking she was poor because she had curtains under her kitchen sink instead of cabinet doors.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2018 2:02 AM

Some of those story lines were brutal for a young kid. I didn't know what the hell was happening. Jan (Eve) was dying.? I think in Spain they may have slept in a church too. We thought it was a kids show but maybe it wasn't? Not to switch shows but Little House on the Prairie pulled those sad and sometimes spooky episodes too. Maybe they all did. Now I am remembering one terrifying The Waltons episode where Elizabeth sleep walked out her window and off the roof and joined up with some carnies down the road. The Ferris wheel and music was sinister.

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2018 2:05 AM

Speaking of getting all groovy, the Brady's went hog wild one summer and returned with perms, bell bottoms and low cut tops. And that was on the men! Did real people make the same drastic fashion shift back then. My dad grew some sideburns but that was about it. But we were in Virginia and not California.

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2018 2:09 AM

R47, I always thought it would have been funny to see Florence from "The Jeffersons" swap places with Alice from "The Brady Bunch": "Get your own damned coffee, Mr. Brady, I got shit to do!"

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2018 2:13 AM

Brady Bunch in Hawaii with spooky Tiki caves and Vincent Price. This is NOT what innocent flyover kids signed up for.

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2018 2:16 AM

R50 I just laughed myself sore over that one.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2018 2:46 AM

[quote]They were from Indiana, IIRC. Future Pence voters, no doubt.

Terre Haute, Indiana to be precise.

Why I recall that fifty years later, I can't tell you.

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2018 2:52 AM

It was scary and mean when Mrs. Beasley was almost tossed in the garbage.

by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2018 2:55 AM

I had a big crush on zaddy Uncle Bill.

by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2018 2:56 AM

Cissy's hot boyfriend was the son of the producer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2018 3:04 AM

I might be remembering this wrong but Cissy's face always seemed pinched.

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2018 3:10 AM

Cissy's hot bf's hot brother, Mike Minor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2018 3:15 AM

I remember watching it in syndication in the mid 70s. I was about 7- and the actress who played Buffy died of a drug overdose. I remember being really upset and confused. I was told she had died because she had “taken dope” and in my childhood brain I heard “dough.” For a long time I thought she had died because she had eaten raw cookie dough.

I also thought having “Affair” in the title was a suggestion of something immoral or risque. (I forgot about that - until I read the earlier post.)

Needless to say I was a nervous child.

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2018 3:29 AM

I hated this fucking show

by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2018 3:54 AM

Why do you all keep posting blurry versions of these credits off crappy TV sets? Here's a MUCH better version of "Pruitts of Southampton"--you need to see that the jewels are, truly, marvy-poo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2018 4:07 AM

The first time someone told me that Phyllis Diller once had her own TV sitcom, and that the theme song involved her flouncing around her giant mansion singing "Howcha do, howcha do, howcha do?", I couldn't believe it. It sounded to good to be true.

And then I finally saw it, and it was better than I ever imagined.

by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2018 4:10 AM

“Uncle Bee-oh, Uncle Bee-oh!”

by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2018 4:40 AM

[quote] It sounded to good to be true.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 77October 11, 2018 1:03 PM

r10

Jodie played by Johnny Whitaker said Brian Keith was very nice to everyone but there was one rule, "Never touch his hair."

by Anonymousreply 78October 11, 2018 1:51 PM

[Did real people make the same drastic fashion shift back then. My dad grew some sideburns but that was about it. But we were in Virginia and not California.]

Well, my dad, whose hair was straight as a stick, did get a curly perm like the Brady men, but it was about 25 years after they did; he was always hopelessly clueless about stuff like that. Plus, he was a farmer and wore a cap, so when he took off the cap at the end of the day, he basically looked liked Bozo the Clown.

by Anonymousreply 79October 11, 2018 3:51 PM

Crud, messed up the quote. Please, no one start a thread about it; I understand my error.

by Anonymousreply 80October 11, 2018 3:52 PM

L O L R33 and R50

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2018 5:40 PM

The Davis apartment didn't have enough bedrooms and at first Jody slept on the sofa in the den. So he could have his own bedroom, Uncle Bill converted the windowless storeroom for Jody. Today, putting your kid in a windowless storeroom would be considered child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2018 7:02 PM

This show was geared more for adults. In an era when kids were growing into rebellious hippies, it was a comfort for adults to see a perfect little family with cute and obedient children. The timeslot says it all. CBS scheduled it at 9:30PM Monday nights when in those days most children would have been in bed.

by Anonymousreply 83October 11, 2018 7:11 PM

I grew up watching the show in French. I never saw an English version until FA went into syndication. It was called "Cher oncle Bill" in French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 11, 2018 7:13 PM

The French version stared Cher. It was a very different show.

by Anonymousreply 85October 11, 2018 7:53 PM

*starred

by Anonymousreply 86October 11, 2018 7:54 PM

R82 Today, calling a TV show "Family Affair" would be considered child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 87October 11, 2018 11:11 PM

There was a soap in the UK in the 1990s called Family Affairs but there was no incest. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 88October 11, 2018 11:20 PM

It's not a garden It's a kitchen. A dirty....ol'....kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 89October 11, 2018 11:24 PM

Crissy never seemed to be around much. Like, only in every 5th episode or so.

by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2018 12:21 AM

r90 Are you thinking of "Three's Company," dear?

by Anonymousreply 91October 12, 2018 1:01 AM

How many of you lucky bitches got to go to this and meet Cissy IN PERSON???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 12, 2018 1:07 AM

Me too, r10! Brian Keith below v

by Anonymousreply 93October 12, 2018 1:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2018 1:18 AM

r92 I have no interest in any of Kathy Garver's organs.

by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2018 1:24 AM

[quote] “Uncle Bee-oh, Uncle Bee-oh!”

Lol. That phrase and OP's theme song are what sticks in mind mind about the show.

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2018 1:24 AM

He looks like he has Uncle B.O., r94.

by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2018 1:39 AM

What about her 'dos, r95?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2018 1:43 AM

I had NO idea that Cissy knew Larue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 12, 2018 1:45 AM

R97//Jody, SHUT THE FUCK UP. He’s succulent and I’d nuzzle those pits from here to Tallahassee. Like r10 said, he smells DIVINE. And naturally so at that.

by Anonymousreply 100October 12, 2018 2:10 AM

r98 I'm SO envious!

by Anonymousreply 101October 12, 2018 3:28 AM

OMG, r99, I love Larue. She was the original wacky sidekick! Larue deserves her own thread!

by Anonymousreply 102October 12, 2018 4:10 AM

I bet Brian Keith threw a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 103October 12, 2018 4:12 AM

I feel like Cissy and NYC were a better fit for Larue because as we ALL remember.....Larue was allergic to the sun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 12, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote]The Davis apartment didn't have enough bedrooms and at first Jody slept on the sofa in the den. So he could have his own bedroom, Uncle Bill converted the windowless storeroom for Jody.

I don't recall that episode. I know, the first episode, Uncle Bill says they can put "Buffy" in the guest bedroom. Then later on, when Jodie shows up, Uncle Bill says they'll put him in the den. Then when Cissy shows up at the end, she shares with "Buffy."

Mr French has a bedroom off the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 105October 12, 2018 3:23 PM

Kathy Garver said, that during the breaks from shooting "Family Affair" the network would always want the actors to do publicity tours, for which they received gifts and were paid.

And none of the three children wanted to do it, but Sebastian Cabot would take them aside, and explain they were very lucky to get on a hit TV series and they had to make the money while they could, because they probably would never get that lucky again.

Brian Keith had the same deal as Fred MacMurray whereas he would film all his scenes for a season at once. Then he'd go off to do other projects, and he'd come back for a few weeks and film any needed retakes or extras, in all he would do about 8 to 10 weeks per year.

Kathy said, since she and Sebastian Cabot were the only other adults (she was over 18 when it started), they would be on the set the longest as the other two children were limited by law. She said it was funny as she would often have to read lines to a teamster in a full beard and smoking, reading one of the children's lines, and then later they'd do a cutaway and insert either "Buffy" or Jodie in.

by Anonymousreply 106October 12, 2018 3:29 PM

Interesting r106. I wonder if you can see smoke in Kathy's scenes.

by Anonymousreply 107October 12, 2018 3:38 PM

I assume he would have been far enough off-camera that it wasn't an issue, r107.

by Anonymousreply 108October 12, 2018 3:42 PM

Oh my gawd! I met Dick Clark. That puts me only one degree of separation from the divine Cissy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 12, 2018 5:09 PM

Larue knew Cissy AND Gidget?! How cool! And agreed, Larue deserved her own spinoff!

by Anonymousreply 110October 12, 2018 5:46 PM

[quote]R106 Kathy said, since she and Sebastian Cabot were the only other adults (she was over 18 when it started), they would be on the set the longest

How sweet if they had married....even if it were a sham.

by Anonymousreply 111October 12, 2018 6:02 PM

PS: Cathy CARVER would be a great serial killer name....

by Anonymousreply 112October 12, 2018 6:03 PM

Cissy.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 12, 2018 7:40 PM

Cissy was pretty, but come on, total squaresville. Never did a single interesting thing.

by Anonymousreply 114October 12, 2018 7:47 PM

R114 Remember the episode where Cissy gets fed up about how the kids are told about babies and tells Uncle Bill that he should discuss sex with them realistically? Or the time when Robert Reed played an uptight psychology professor who thought kids should ONLY be told the truth, only to have Cissy realize that sometimes fantasy is good for kids. Those are the kinds of mixed messages the show often gave.

by Anonymousreply 115October 12, 2018 7:58 PM

Holy fuck R66! I can only vaguely remember this series - the opening credits made the strongest impression! - but didn’t realise that the Terre Haute reference was from this show! I have the dimmest of memories of some kid responding to an old Asian guy who tries to get them to imagine the most beautiful place on earth - or the place they love the most? Something like that. And it sounded so exotic and unlike any other place name I’d heard...

So I’m guessing if I google Terre Haite - i’d be somewhat disappointed?

by Anonymousreply 116October 12, 2018 8:07 PM

I used to dance and spin around in circles to the opening credits when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 117October 12, 2018 8:29 PM

Slick and slickers....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 12, 2018 8:31 PM

THings like this are etched in my memory but I can't remember where I put my car keys two hours ago.

by Anonymousreply 119October 12, 2018 8:50 PM

Uncle Beeyo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 12, 2018 9:17 PM

The cast was rather two-dimensional....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 12, 2018 9:20 PM

My friend says to me one night at the local watering hole, “I’m going to find some who looks like Mr. French and let him eat me out.” Well every since he said that, I now wasn’t him to eat me out too. Is that wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 12, 2018 9:36 PM

Pump the brakes, r122, you're weaving all over the road there, fella. "Local watering hole?" Really? are you Fred Flintstone? Who says that? The rest I couldn't make sense. Please clarify. Thanks and have an awesome day!

by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2018 3:19 PM

See r89......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2018 3:24 PM

Alright, I was in love with Brian Keith. Such a man’s man. And didn’t talk too much and when he did his voice was gravelly...sigh...has it been mentioned here that he suicided, after his daughter died?

by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2018 2:34 AM

And his father went on to marry Peg Entwistle, woman who committed suicide jumping off Hollywood sign...small tragic world.

by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2018 2:37 AM

His daughter Daisy, an actress as well, committed suicide two weeks before her dad did.

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2018 2:45 AM

I remember all the kids on 'Family Affair' being terrible performers, even the grown niece was awful. Am I remembering correctly?

Surely there were better trained child and teen performers back then. There were tons of TV shows with kids and teens.

by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2018 2:54 AM

Kathy Garver today.

Great caps! Or dentures!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 18, 2018 2:59 AM

I remember one episode where a tidal wave was going to hit NYC according to the twins. The episode culminated in a countdown to doomsday. Lots of anxiety issues with those kids!

by Anonymousreply 130October 18, 2018 2:59 AM

Such tragedy with the cast. Poor Buffy ODed at 18. A stroke took out Mr. French at 59.

by Anonymousreply 131October 18, 2018 9:17 AM

Of course the kids were anxious - they had lost their parents and had been sent to NYC to live with their closeted gay uncle and his British bear lover. Poor Buffy was strung out on black beauties and Jody was raised Mormon (he later went on to be a heroin addict AND Dano Plato’s manager) The doorknob alone was disorientating.

I blame Cissy.

by Anonymousreply 132October 18, 2018 9:18 AM

Cissy was seen less in the final season as she moved into the dorms at college and had that short, curly hairstyle. She was obviously not a virgin any longer.

by Anonymousreply 133October 18, 2018 9:57 AM

Since their shows came from the same production company, I assume Cissy and Robbie Douglas were at the same college, and Cissy lost her virginity at Robbie's frat house gangbang.

by Anonymousreply 134October 18, 2018 4:54 PM

They were a damn hot couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 18, 2018 5:08 PM

Did anyone see the Ghost Story marathon on Decades last weekend? The series was introduced by Sebastian Cabot as Winston Essex in a set that looked like it was from The Prisoner. It played like a knock off of Night Gallery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 18, 2018 5:22 PM

Jody was better with that sea monster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 18, 2018 5:49 PM

Peg Entwistle....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 18, 2018 5:59 PM

[italic]Mysteries & Scandals [/italic]has the scoop:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 18, 2018 6:15 PM

The Diodes had their greatest success in their ode to Buffy and her OD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2018 12:25 AM

Brian Keith had terminal lung cancer which was what led to his suicide. Shotgun in the mouth as I recall. How terribly sad.

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2018 12:46 AM

Wasn't Sebastian Cabot replaced for a time by his character's brother?

by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2018 12:52 AM

John Williams who played a lot of butlers and Scotland Yard detectives briefly replaced Cabot.

Doesn't MSNBC cutie Phil Rucker kind of remind you of Mr. French?

by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2018 8:58 AM

Brian Keith had an extensive gun collection. He may have been cleaning one of his guns when it went off. My aunt was Brian's girlfriend in high school. I remember seeing the pictures when I was a kid. He was a very nice man and loved children.

by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2018 11:10 AM

[quote]My aunt was Brian's girlfriend in high school.

Ask her about his dick and report back to us.

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2018 11:53 AM

I agree that it was a strange choice for the show, which was low-key and family focused. It would've been a great opening for a show featuring a glamorous woman like Zsa Zsa Gabor, Lucille Ball, or some such.

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2018 1:09 PM

Mr. French does Bob Dylan....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2018 2:49 PM

I adored Brian Keith. Such a gorgeous man. I don't remember FA cuz mainly it never appealed to me as a kid (in reruns.) I'm watching it now on Amazon prime video. It's a very sweet show but it is geared towards adults. When was it on originally?

I have only seen 3 episodes or so, but holy shit, Brian Keith epitomized gorgeous bears!

According to Wikipedia he had emphysema and lung cancer, his daughter had just killed herself 2 weeks prior, he was 75 years old.... I wish he had been able to use assisted suicide. He had 7 kids, and if he was a nice man who loved kids, I am glad. I hope he took pleasure in his family at the end of his life. Kathy Garver gave interviews where she said she and Brian Keith remained close friends until his death.

I think the cover of the show was aimed at new consumers of color television.

by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2019 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!