Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Megan Ellison appears to have run out of money

Annapurna Films seemingly collapsing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 25, 2021 6:13 AM

DYKE DRAMA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2018 9:54 PM

I'm definitely curious as to what's going on at Annapurna. First they drop their Fox film and now this.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2018 9:57 PM

Why are they being so slow with the release THE SISTERS BROTHERS? It should've gotten a bigger release. It's excellent and has four recognizable actors in it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2018 9:58 PM

Good. She is a bipolar lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2018 10:01 PM

Is the one on the right a tranny ?

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2018 10:13 PM

She's going to need daddy to bail out the company

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2018 10:16 PM

When has she ever not needed Daddy to pay for that company?

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2018 11:55 PM

They couldn't decide who was going to be wearing the strap-on.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2018 2:26 AM

Annapurna Films has pretty much only produced films by established directors, which is how they were able to get loads of Academy nominations so early in the company's existence. What I mean is, Megan Ellison has a very snobby approach to producing - she's never bothered to discover and nurture young talent.

And the woman exiting to company was a field producer, a basic crew member, before Megan gave her the title of executive producer.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2018 2:29 AM

Ummm R9

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2018 2:47 AM

She is so fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2018 2:57 AM

R10, is that the first film by a first (or second) time film director that Annapurna Films produced since its inception?

One film does not negate what I wrote at R9 - Annapurna Films exclusively works with established producers.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2018 3:00 AM

^^^ I mean established directors.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2018 3:07 AM

Annapurna was only founded in 2011. I would think, given the opportunity, most new companies would seek out established directors to work with before starting to take chances on conceptual, indie, and unestablished directors. Seems like a rather common business model, no?

The list of films here doesn't seem strangely leaning toward mainstream. Are people just pissy because it's a woman heading the company?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2018 3:17 AM

No, it's not a common model, R14. Even big studios take chances on young directors.

People are not pissy because it's a woman heading the company. People are sceptical because she started her company without having any film production experience and the company was entirely funded with daddy's money, .

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2018 3:22 AM

R15 = idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2018 3:22 AM

R10/R16, you literally found one young director whose film was produced by Annapurna Films. One.

It doesn't make me an idiot to point that out.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2018 3:32 AM

So, I read in some article maybe from the Hollywood Reporter, that Annapurna is having financial troubles because they decided to delve into distributing its own movies? That box office flop Detroit directd by Bigelow was mentioned as a first attempt...

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2018 3:58 AM

R17, there's more than one young or unestablished director on the list I linked to above. And, there are tons of male producers and financiers who've used daddy's money and had no experience in the history of Hollywood. While I find her to be an off-putting person, Ellison is attacked more than a male in the position would have been.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2018 4:02 AM

Annapurna has produced the most engaging and gut-wrenching game experience I've ever had. What Remains of Edith Finch, play it if you can, it's a masterpiece. It's available on steam for PC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2018 4:04 AM

Most male Producers spending their Daddy's money aren't lesbians. This is a breakup, not a business meltdown. The Ellison's have tens of Billions. they are not running out of anything, including farm fresh snatch for Megan.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2018 4:06 AM

[quote][R17], there's more than one young or unestablished director on the list I linked to above.

I am not sure what is wrong with saying that Annapurna Films is known for working with well established directors. Say what you will, but this is pretty exclusive list of directors:

John Hillcoat, Paul Thomas Anderson, Andrew Dominik, Kathryn Bigelow, Harmony Korine, Wong Kar-wai, Spike Jonze, David O russell, Bennett Miller, Richard Linklater, Todd Solondz, Mike Mills, Ana Lily Amirpour, Jacques Audiard, Barry Jenkins, the Coen brothers, Adam McKay...

[quote]While I find her to be an off-putting person, Ellison is attacked more than a male in the position would have been.

I never attacked Ellison for being a female producer. You, on the other hand, wrote:

[quote]She is so fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2018 4:14 AM

Annapurna President of Film Is Out; Jennifer Lopez Stripper Film the Latest to Be Dropped

It's a troubling turn for Megan Ellison's nascent studio, which began distributing films with Kathryn Bigelow's 'Detroit' last summer. In a day of dramatic twists at Annapurna Pictures, president of film Chelsea Barnard is out.

The move comes on the heels of Megan Ellison's studio jettisoning two films that it had been developing: Jay Roach's untitled Fox News/Roger Ailes film and a Jennifer Lopez stripper film based on the New York magazine piece "The Hustlers at Scores." Both projects had been championed by Barnard. Annapurna declined to comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2018 4:19 AM

The brother has the more mainstream films and more financial successes while Megan seems more into getting awards or trying to. They have enough money to do both.

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2018 4:30 AM

R22, I wasn't hiding the fact that I don't like her as a person and think she's ugly. That has nothing to do with her being a woman or lesbian, so I'm not sure what your point is. If she were an ugly and unlikable man I would have said the same thing.

I didn't say you were being sexist but that all the attacks she gets about using daddy's money and being inexperienced and now I guess having the gall to work with good directors are things that males in Hollywood doing the exact same thing, or worse, are not attacked for. She acts like a stupid horndog just like all the men but she's taken to task for it way more than the "playboys".

by Anonymousreply 25October 10, 2018 6:23 AM

Daddy was going to cut the pursestrings if Megan didn’t stop overspending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 10, 2018 10:09 PM

The J Lo film sounds good. I have heard Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill speak highly of her company..and that she supports filmmakers on Howard Stern.

by Anonymousreply 27October 10, 2018 10:22 PM

[quote]Sources also point to the overspend on the Jacques Audiard western The Sisters Brothers, a supposed passion project of Barnard’s, which apparently Annapurna shelled out $9M for the domestic rights on and has made to date under $800K through three weeks at the domestic B.O.

This movie has been released? And Immissed the trailer? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 28October 10, 2018 11:09 PM

A quirky Western starring John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix does not equal mainstream box office.

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2018 11:30 PM

That movie should not have cost $40 million and there are heaps of actors as good as and cheaper than John C. Reilly.

I'm not impressed with the casting of Annapurna films. Half the cast of DETROIT was English and ugly.

A24 has stolen her thunder.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2018 4:54 AM

r27

[quote]I have heard Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill speak highly of her company

And they are both massive cockwombles.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2018 4:59 AM

Who needs Annapurna if we already have A24.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2018 5:28 AM

Wow, her brother David founded Skydance Media. They make all the Mission Impossible films now and the new Star Trek films. Poor little sis can’t measure up.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2018 12:29 AM

They co-finance them. They’re a glorified check writer. Annapurna actually produces their films.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2018 12:40 AM

Daddy steps in:

[quote]As Annapurna Stumbles, Billionaire Larry Ellison Exerts Control

[quote]Oracle founder Larry Ellison is engineering a major reorganization of his daughter Megan Ellison’s struggling Annapurna Pictures, according to several people familiar with the situation. The studio has been hemorrhaging money for years and continues to suffer an exodus of top executives who have either been forced out or who left on their own accord. The latest casualty, film president Chelsea Barnard, was fired this week.

[quote]Since launching seven years ago, Annapurna quickly established itself as a favorite production company among auteurs, backing films of critically beloved directors such as Kathryn Bigelow, Paul Thomas Anderson and David O. Russell. It developed a reputation for being immune to the kinds of financial challenges and volatility that many other indie companies have faced. The reason, agents and artists point out, was that it has continued to benefit from the deep pockets of Megan’s billionaire father. Both she and her brother David (who runs Skydance) had the advantage of readily available funds when they each launched their companies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2018 3:21 AM

[quote]Wow, her brother David founded Skydance Media. They make all the Mission Impossible films now and the new Star Trek films. Poor little sis can’t measure up.

So, he's celebrated for working with huge films and she's denigrated for working with a lot of mainstream directors? In case anyone was wondering why I brought up the fact that some of the hatred directed at her was because she was a woman, you can just re-read that quoted sentence in the context of the rest of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2018 3:29 AM

[quote]she's denigrated for working with a lot of mainstream directors?

I wouldn't call them mainstream directors. They're the Hollywood version of auteurs who make medium budget films for serious audiences. These directors gravitate towards prestige projects - non-commercial scripts made with big name actors. Kind of what Scott Rudin does when he makes Oscar bait films, except Rudin crushes his directors and has no problem interfering in the filmmaking process.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2018 3:42 AM

R37, this whole thread started out with people talking about her only going with the big names and not giving the little guys the chance even though she had all that money. Then, they celebrate her brother for working only with the biggest fucking franchises out there.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2018 3:45 AM

There are several tiers of directors in Hollywood, not just those who make medium budget films and those who make studio franchise films. A lot of producers try to go between smaller and bigger films to make money. Even Scott Rudin occasionally puts his name on a dreck like “It’s complicated.”

Ellison made it easier for directors like PT Anderson or Harmony Korine to make medium budget films, films that are very often critical successes, but don't do well at the box office. But her ambition came at the cost.

At the same time Ellison is no Christine Vachon who was instrumental in the careers of so many young New York directors starting in the mid 90s. Killer Films has always been about supporting first time and young directors which is only possible within the low budget frame. That’s a far less glamorous filmmaking world though.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2018 4:16 AM

r37 after reading the Sony memos, he'd be the only one I'd let anywhere near a film project.

I'm side-eying anyone who employs David O Russell for any reason, moral or artistic, regardless of the employer's gender.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2018 5:40 AM

Rudin is brilliant, R40. It's true that he clashes with directors, but he is the rare producer with intelligent ideas. And while he can be exhausting, he knows and understands film.

He thought Kimberly Peirce was a moron, btw.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2018 5:47 AM

When they were making Stop-Loss. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2018 5:49 AM

Some women look at any criticism of a woman as being automatically sexist in origin. It doesn't matter what facts or analysis you give to the woman who thinks that, she's going to keep right on thinking it.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2018 5:59 AM

R43, just read the beginning of the thread. But, thanks for the mansplaining about the lack of sexism here and in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2018 6:03 AM

Annapurna gives up its distribution ambitions; will instead enter into a partnership with MGM to release films under a revived United Artists banner.

Ironically this will bring James Bond back to United Artists; since Annapurna was the surprise winner of the distribution rights to Bond 25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 5, 2019 7:33 PM

Actually my take on this was incorrect; they already were in a distribution partnership with MGM, although both studios kept their own logos on the films they distribution. Now those films will carry the United Artists logo.

by Anonymousreply 46February 5, 2019 7:39 PM

Hollywood Reporter coverstory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2019 2:05 PM

R27. I used to really like Howard. Show is awful now. Check out radio gunk. They love to call Wig out on his constant lies.

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2019 2:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2019 7:45 AM

Megan's obnoxious response to the Variety article r49:

"come on @Variety_Claudia — nice way of supporting women. I have done good things for this industry and you want me in it. Btw my money and I look more like this... and my dad thinks I’m dope as fuck"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 16, 2019 7:47 AM

[quote]"come on @Variety_Claudia — nice way of supporting women. I have done good things for this industry and you want me in it.

How very Taylor Swift Of her.

by Anonymousreply 51March 16, 2019 2:00 PM

Daddy to the rescue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2019 9:12 PM

Megan doesn't know shit about how to handle good movies her company has and lately she's been producing shit movies nobody wants to see. She should learn from A24 on how to distribute movies smartly.

by Anonymousreply 53August 8, 2019 12:07 AM

LESBIAN DRAMA

... with a blank check.

by Anonymousreply 54August 8, 2019 12:09 AM

Is Megan a tranny? Or just fucking hideous?

by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2021 4:06 AM

Hatred directed at her because she’s a woman? How about just because she looks like a smug pussy hungry asshole? Do we forget she comes off like a pig because she has a pussy? Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2021 4:37 AM

What was the reason to resurrect this year and a half old thread?

by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2021 5:26 AM

Her bro has a huge d.

by Anonymousreply 58February 25, 2021 5:38 AM

Who? What?

by Anonymousreply 59February 25, 2021 5:44 AM

R57 A year and a half is tame compared to the ancient threads that get bumped nowadays.

R58 Proof please!

by Anonymousreply 60February 25, 2021 5:46 AM

Where?

by Anonymousreply 61February 25, 2021 6:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!