Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your favorite holiday of the year? How do you celebrate it?

I love Thanksgiving. It's wedged between the behemoth juggernauts of Halloween and Christmas and provides a relaxing, refreshing pause in autumn. And the food!

You?

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2018 11:25 PM

I like Easter. There's always been something about it that seems light and spiritual, even though I'm an atheist. I like Christmas, too, or at least the Normal Rockwell idea of Christmas. That was never our family, though. And yeah, I know, orphans in Darfur and all that.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2018 1:02 PM

I love the 4th of July, because there’s zero pressure and there’s nothing about it that isn’t fun: pool parties, cookouts, fireworks.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2018 1:04 PM

I used to like Thanksgiving. But the aloneness holidays exacerbate started to get to me, so I stopped having Thanksgiving at my house. It became just another day to call "just another day." Now I go out for dinner with two friends. We go to supposedly good restaurants, but have yet to be completely satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2018 1:05 PM

Well, I HATE Halloween- so any other one, but I agree Easter is nice.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2018 1:14 PM

Halloween and Christmas in a tie.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2018 1:16 PM

R4 Glad there are people other than me who hate Halloween. I feel like a grinch this time of year when everyone else is going nuts with pumpkins and skeletons and all that crap, but there’s something about it that depresses the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2018 1:24 PM

Halloween is stupid, but it doesn't depress me. Starbucks and TJ's having turned fall into Pumpkin Spice Season, now that is depressing.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2018 1:30 PM

I think we should move Thanksgiving to either the end of September or October. Currently it's way too close to Christmas. I think everyone needs more than a 4 week buffer between family visits.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2018 1:35 PM

Halloween is my favorite. We have a party in our garage and invite friends who don't get trick or treaters. I buy the full size candy bars from Costco and give beer and wine to the parents.

I bought a inflatable arch pay to put in front of the garage. It's a great way to meet the neighbors too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2018 1:36 PM

People born on certain holidays have some unique perspectives about their special day. Mine is Halloween. As a kid, it was a fun connection. As an older adult, not so much. That said, your relatives and friends can more easily remember your birthday.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2018 1:43 PM

We used to be the “Halloween House” in our neighborhood. Most of the stuff was repurposed and redecorated miscellany and some customized commercially made decorations. It gave a chance to be creative.

We had a yard with brick pavers instead of grass and a point tipped cast iron fence (waist high in the front) that I would stick skulls on the tips of and several large old trees to put things in. The House was built in 1905 and had a gothic Addams Family vibe.

We would get literally hundreds of trick or treaters every time.

My mother lost the house in a reverse mortgage scam and now I go over to a friend’s rambler and tart up the yard as I can.

It’s actually becoming a really hard time of year for me.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2018 1:47 PM

I like fall, but not Halloween. I have a friend who is crazy for Halloween and all the decorations that go with it and always has a party where he insists guests wear costumes. I don't want to wear a Halloween costume - I'm 52 fucking years old.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2018 1:50 PM

I have only once worn a Halloween costume since acquiring pubic hair. Susan and Michael next door dressed me as a college cheerleader and took me to a party. I couldn't adjust.

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2018 1:52 PM

Why are there so many uptight misanthropes here?

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2018 2:48 PM

There was a sale at Herbergers R14

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2018 3:03 PM

Mines is Black Friday. I like to get up early and line up at my local big-box retailer to get all the good deals. My whole family there too.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2018 3:04 PM

Thanksgiving- and since I've been spending Xmas with my brother and sister in law (favorites), Xmas is nice too. None of it is about gifts. It's about being with people I love and enjoy the company of as well.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2018 4:04 PM

What's the general feeling about Christmas? Yay or nay? Seems like people either love it or hate, not much middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2018 4:06 PM

I love Christmas. Love the music and the overall festive occasion.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2018 4:09 PM

You are complete fucking trash, R16, and quite stupid to boot.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2018 4:09 PM

Halloween, it's fun. Although I don't leave the house for it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2018 4:10 PM

You answered your own question, R18. It’s a love or hate holiday.

I love it, despite being gay and rejecting Christianity decades ago. I like the music, the food and the constant party atmosphere. Some folks find it all triggering, though.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2018 4:10 PM

R20 has sand in her vagina

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2018 4:11 PM

Christmas. I go whole hog frau.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2018 4:52 PM

[quote]Mines is Black Friday.

Yourses?

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2018 4:54 PM

I begged him to eat me but it was too late. He already came.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2018 5:06 PM

Thanksgiving. It's just the right amount of time visiting with family, get to see friends over the weekend and as I am always a guest no preparation is required for me.

Christmas makes me melancholy. My parents are getting older and I have so many nieces and nephews and now greats that it is chaotic and stressful. Plus the obligatory office party and various house parties, buying and wrapping gifts, it's all to much. I bowed out of most invites last year and was more relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2018 5:15 PM

Sept 1st, Pumpkin Spice Season Kick-Off is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2018 6:28 PM

r28 deserves to be Kicked-Off tall buildings far and wide.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2018 6:32 PM

R9 Your address please.

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2018 6:35 PM

Jeff Stryker's Birthday

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2018 11:19 PM

Canada Day - July 1st - when I can celebrate being a Canadian in this imperfect world. I thank Baldwin and LaFontaine in the 19th century for their vision of a future for British North America.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2018 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!