Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV Show Furniture

Is there a tv show where you particularly liked or hated the furniture?

In the Golden Girls, I thought their living room furniture looked like it had been dragged in off the lanai.

by Anonymousreply 104October 10, 2018 7:49 PM

When Jack moved into Will and Grace's building, he had some nice mid-century stuff, and a shade of green wall-to-wall I liked a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2018 10:15 PM

There was an exclamation point seemingly carved into the front door of the Golden Girls' living room (interior side). I always looked for it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2018 10:15 PM

I never liked Lucy's dreary Early American crap when she had the country house

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2018 10:19 PM

The furniture in Fraser is so funny and great. It’s all such an extension of their characters.

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2018 10:24 PM

R1 - I always liked Will & Grace's apartment and how it was styled.

On Friends, I also thought that Monica's apartment was ridiculously nicer than Chandler and Joey's, and yet they were both 2 bed/1 bath and right across from each other. The girls' furniture and style was also quite a bit better, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2018 10:26 PM

Love that MTM had a sofa bed in her studio apartment and had to make it up, close it and move furniture every day.

Such a perfect silent commentary on her character.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2018 10:26 PM

Ann Romano's furniture was gross and looked second hand, but appropriate for a divorcee starting out again from scratch. Thing is through all the years of the show as she became a business mogul she never left that grotty little apartment behind, though I think the action shifted to the house Julie and Barbara shared with the husbands (who does THAT - in a cheap city like Indianapolis?). I also hated those brown day bed things in the Brady's family room.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote] Love that MTM had a sofa bed in her studio apartment and had to make it up, close it and move furniture every day.

Too bad she didn't have a bathroom! Or maybe there was supposed to be a bathroom inside that closet?

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2018 10:36 PM

I want Frasier's interior doors. Also, his Chihuly sculpture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2018 10:48 PM

I want the beach house used in Gracie and Frankie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2018 11:04 PM

Ugh, the Golden Girls did have awful furniture. Blanche's bedroom was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2018 11:25 PM

Here's Blanche's bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2018 11:27 PM

I liked the Hot in Cleveland house.

by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2018 11:31 PM

R11 it was so perfectly late ‘70s/early ‘80s though.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2018 11:37 PM

"Furniture to Go" - 1993 to 1997 (TLC)

Best cable show/home improvement show EVER!

These guys were the best. They'd start/end their episodes with their own 'Home Movies,' whether it be a '40s noir-film parody '70s movie parody, or a bad public-outreach infomercial parody. My favorite of the latter was Ed's parody of Sally Struthers and her "Save the Children Fund."

Ed, with his spotty beard, bad teeth, unruly eyebrows, and fat-ass-self, sporting a platinum blonde wig:

"Hello I'm 'Sally Struthers'." You probably remember me from the TV show, "All in the Family." That was before I looked like a Manatee . . . Order now. I'M HUNGRY!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2018 11:49 PM

The Honeymooners

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2018 12:24 AM

That carved wood wall on the Bob Newhart show. It always confused me.

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2018 12:26 AM

Nothing beats Carolyn Appleby's Chinese Modern.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2018 2:15 AM

I said it looks like a dream, didn't I, r18?

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2018 2:22 AM

I loved the apartment on "Family Affair" .

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2018 3:19 AM

Loved the beach house and furnishings on Two and a Half Men. Also completely different, I really liked all the antiques used on on the old Dark Shadows TV series.

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2018 4:42 AM

The Jetson's mid-century aesthetic was the MOST!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2018 5:04 AM

I really liked the Family Ties kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2018 5:10 AM

No the furniture, but the house on the later seasons of “Webster” with the secret passageways was the coolest thing I had ever seen as a nine year-old.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2018 1:38 PM

I loved a lot of the furniture in old shows like Perry Mason and, now, Peter Gunn. I'm watching the latter on Amazon Prime Video.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2018 6:15 PM

Don and Megan's apartment on Mad Men was pretty freaking awesome. (As is the linked 3D app for checking it out)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2018 6:21 PM

R11 if you look around these days you’ll see that the plants pattern on the wall paper in Blanches room is now everywhere. There are bed spreads and even women’s clothing with that exact design. When it first started happening a few years ago I wondered if I was the only one who realised people were walking around in Blanches wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2018 6:41 PM

Not really furniture per se , but I recall the Morgensterns on the MTM Show have a painting on their wall which I'm pretty sure is this Zubaran still life and, ironically, full of Catholic symbolism. I really wanted a repro of this on my wall but never managed to find one.

However the Costanza's kitchen table and chairs on Seinfeld is exactly like mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2018 7:25 PM

R27, that banana leaf pattern was famous at some restaurant and we've been ripping it off since 1989 ish.

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2018 7:54 PM

Yes r29, and it’s back with a vengeance now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2018 8:03 PM

The couch on Mama's Family looked very uncomfortable, at least Bubba's butt sat on it.

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2018 8:10 PM

Alexis' desk on Dynasty was a sight to behold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2018 8:15 PM

R11, That room saw action, you can only Dream of.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2018 8:22 PM

I think the banana leaf wallpaper on "The Golden Girls" was originally designed for the Beverly Hills Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2018 9:32 PM

J loved Julia Sugarbaker's living room on DW, but then she was supposed to be an interior designer, so of course it would have to be a showplace. I loved both of Rhoda's apartments (the first one, while she was married to Joe, as well as the smaller one she moved to after they split up). They seemed so '70s boho-chic. The set designers did a good job too with Ida and Martin's apartment in the Bronx. It totally looked like what it was supposed to be: a prewar relic (probably rent controlled), where the Morgenstern family had lived for 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2018 9:48 PM

I agree r35. I always thought the set design for the Morgenstern family was exactly what a Jewish mother would be living in on Grand Concourse in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2018 10:20 PM

The apartment that Ralph and Alice Cramban lived in resembles my current apartment. Very primitive.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2018 10:24 PM

I liked the cliched decor in Desperate Maids.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2018 10:33 PM

Devious Maids. Whatever. Also Susan Lucci was an engineering miracle.

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2018 10:34 PM

I loved Rosemary and Guy's flat in "Rosemary's Baby", which was based on the famous Dakota on Central Park, West. (The Dakota was actually used for exterior shots.) I don't know how an unknown, sporadically employed actor and his stay-at-home wife could have afforded such a place, even in the age of rent control, but it was a GREAT apartment...well, except for the elderly warlock and his nosy wife down the hall.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2018 11:01 PM

R34 yes, or it’s a close copy. They still make that Martinique wallpaper originally designed for the BHH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2018 11:19 PM

I liked the bono chic of Rhoda.s apartment on MTM, and I liked Mary's apartment, too. I liked the set of friends as welll.

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2018 11:31 PM

[quote]I liked the bono chic of Rhoda.s apartment

Sonny and Cher

Could have lived there

But there wasn't enough room

For her to swing her hair.

by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2018 11:33 PM

I always wanted my room to be like the inside of Jeannie’s bottle.

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2018 11:42 PM

I always thought vaginas must be like the inside of Jeannie’s bottle.

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2018 11:43 PM

Soft and pretty?

by Anonymousreply 46October 8, 2018 11:44 PM

[quote]I don't know how an unknown, sporadically employed actor and his stay-at-home wife could have afforded such a place, even in the age of rent control

Ro's Baby was 1968. It was a different time and place. The Upper West Side was not a desirable neighborhood. The Ansonia was considered a shithole (a gay bathhouse in the basement!) Central Park was a wreck, full of drug addicts and Puerto Rican gangs. It was not well maintained. The woman who was the murder victim in Looking For Mr. Goodbar lived on West 72nd Street on a starting teacher's salary.

So it's not inconceivable that they lived in the Dakota. I don't remember the exact details of their apartment, but there were cheap apartments in that building. Competition to live in NYC wasn't that stiff until the mid to late 70s coupled with an undesirable neighbhorhood. In the Dakota, the most expensive rent would have been overlooking Central Park West. Then the next lowest tier would have been the inside apartments overlooking the courtyard. The cheapest would have been on the other side facing the brick wall of the building next to it and then the cheapest would have been the au pair apartments. This was at the time of white flight from the city, so all those old ladies who had been renting there from the 1940s and 50s were packing up and moving out of that area. And many times in those big buildings, people would pay key money to the Superintendent and the Super would, after collecting all the applications, put his preference (the one who paid the most $$$) to the top of the pile.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2018 12:00 AM

R47, you typed all that but couldn’t spell out “Rosemary’s”?

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2018 12:09 AM

Sorry, r48. I had a lot of thoughts coming at me quickly and I wanted to get them all down. I typed Ro as just a shorthand and intended to go back and fill in the rest of the name, but didn't take time to proofread and hit the post button before I realized I had left it unfinished.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2018 12:20 AM

R47, we’ll let it slide this time, but next time you’re getting a spanking, mister.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2018 12:22 AM

I liked Mary's (MTM Show) couch from her first apartment.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2018 12:26 AM

Everything on the show Alice was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2018 12:27 AM

The front door on Family Affair with that great doorknob right in the middle. I thought that was the height of class when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2018 12:32 AM

Mama’s Family

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2018 12:32 AM

[quote]I want the beach house used in Gracie and Frankie

The exterior of the house is an existing house in Malibu. At the end of Zuma beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2018 12:34 AM

R54 Agreed the kitchen in particular was ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2018 12:35 AM

Ever notice how floorplans are similar on different shows? As I remember the Mama's Family floorplan is pretty much identical to Archie and Edith's.

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2018 12:39 AM

Here's the pink fridge in the Mama's Family kitchen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2018 12:40 AM

What about Mary Hartman! Mary Hartman!

by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2018 12:40 AM

R57 I noticed that, too. Mary's (MTM) 2nd apartment floor plan was just like Bob Newhart's floor plan.

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2018 12:41 AM

R58 yellow is just ugly for a kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2018 12:44 AM

R57, I think that Bob and Emily either moved or remodeled their apartment a few seasons in. Since both were MTM shows, I wonder if the set designers recycled the Hartleys' original apartment set, and gave it to Mary.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2018 12:48 AM

Pushing Daisies had some of the most inventive production and set design of any television show of any kind, ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2018 12:48 AM

I want the tapestry material couch in Six Degrees of Separation.

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2018 12:49 AM

I like Maude’s kitchen because of the brown appliances.

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2018 12:50 AM

R53 me too!

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2018 12:51 AM

Some channel (Me TV?) Reran a few old "Mayberry RFD" shows, and I noticed that the house they used was the same house that The Waltons later had, with the porch and the three dormers.

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2018 12:53 AM

R48 is why I love DL.

Also, R47.

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2018 12:55 AM

There were a number of suburban living room scenes in LOST featuring particularly well chosen early to mid 20th century regionalist American painting.

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2018 12:55 AM

I love Little House On The Prairie’s living room!

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2018 12:56 AM

I would like to have just one room with the wallpaper seen in Sherlock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2018 12:57 AM

Agree with R52, almost everything on "Alice" God-ugly. The set for Mel's Diner wasn't even cool in a kitschy retro diner sort of way, Alice's apartment looked like a fire sale, and they showed Flo's house trailer a few times, and it looked like a brothel on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2018 12:59 AM

R15 thank you for that memory! Horse-hahrrrr!

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2018 1:00 AM

I blame hours and hours of Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings for starting my fascination with modern furniture. Giovanni Jones' house in particular. Of course, this may have been my contrariness, sitting in a house that more resembled the Tom & Jerry interiors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2018 1:06 AM

I didn't like the first house in Leave It To Beaver, but Ward must have gotten a raise because the second house was bigger with better furnishings. I especially liked the huge wing arm chair with the patterned upholstery. It looked so comfortable to sit in.

Also - Dr. Bellows house on I Dream Of Jeannie was the exact same layout as the Stephens' house on Bewitched. They must have used the same set for both shows but I thought they were on 2 different networks.

by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2018 1:07 AM

What would it be like having interior design that looks like a set design for a zany 1980s music video television show? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2018 1:09 AM

One thing I didn't understand about MTM. When the first show aired, Rhoda was supposed to be moving into the apartment that Mary moved into. It was a spacious-looking studio. But when you see Rhoda's apartment, she's living in the same house but the apartment looks like a quarter of the size of Mary's place. Why would she settle for that instead of getting a bigger place?

by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2018 1:10 AM

I remember loving Rita and Ed Bauer's house on "The Guiding Light" during the '70s. (I think they kept the set well into the '90s, with subsequent Bauer generations living there.) It was sort of a Spanish hacienda style, with lush beautiful furnishings.

by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2018 1:11 AM

I liked Susan's kitchen in Desperate Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2018 1:11 AM

I liked watching House, M.D. for the characters and the interesting cases but I was always distracted/annoyed by the very expensive MCM furniture lining every hallway, meeting room and office, though. Every piece took me out of the story for a bit while I scoffed and yelled out the approximate prices of each piece.

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2018 1:14 AM

R77, I could be wrong, but I think that Rhoda was already living in the teeny-tiny attic apartment with the purple walls, but when the bigger, nicer flat opened up, she wanted to move into that one, but because Phyllis had already signed Mary's name to the lease (which seems like it would be illegal, but, hey, it's just a sitcom), she had to stay in her original apartment.

by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2018 1:16 AM

I loved the classic 60's Euro-Asian chic of the Tracy house from the original Thunderbirds. Sylvia Anderson and her team really knew what they were doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2018 1:25 AM

R82- I was more of a Stingray fan than a Thunderbirds fan, but all of the furnishings they created for both shows looked so stylish. Maybe too stylish to be wasted on a bunch of puppets.

by Anonymousreply 83October 9, 2018 1:28 AM

Charlie's Angels - the Townsend Agency itself. Great office!

by Anonymousreply 84October 9, 2018 1:37 AM

R26 thanks for that link. In return, one picture from the Jet Set episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 9, 2018 1:40 AM

As a kid I loved Karen’s bathroom with that nice view and the fancy bathtub with the orchids in the corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 9, 2018 1:46 AM

I was horrified by “The Honeymooners”. They had NOTHING. We were poor and most of the people we knew were poor, but everyone had better apartments than those people. I could not understand why Alice wasn’t allowed to get a job, especially since they didn’t have any kids. And that fat fuck would always be threatening to punch her. She wasn’t especially ugly, she could have done a lot better.

And I never understood why any of the TV wives weren’t allowed to work or use their magic to make their lives better. Carol Brady seemed to have the best life of all the TV wives. Mike was pretty chill, and she had a housekeeper.

Though I was raised by a feminist, I remember feeling the injustice of this as a very young child.

by Anonymousreply 87October 9, 2018 1:51 AM

[quote]Carol Brady seemed to have the best life of all the TV wives. Mike was pretty chill, and she had a housekeeper.

Carol: Mike, if you expect me to perform in the bedroom at night, then I'm going to need a housekeeper to do the cooking and the cleaning! It's either housework or sex. You can't have both.

by Anonymousreply 88October 9, 2018 1:56 AM

R87 I thought Mike had Alice the housekeeper before he met and married Carol? I figured they just kept Alice ,cause 6 brats!!

by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2018 2:01 AM

R87, they kept Alice/Ann B. Davis because without her sarcastic wisecracks, the show would have dissolved into little more that a half-hour of icky-sweet Karo syrup.

by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2018 2:05 AM

[quote]I thought Mike had Alice the housekeeper before he met and married Carol?

Alice was originally Mike's brother Alec. When Mike met Carol, he knew he couldn't keep Alec around so Alec had to get a sex change. That's why Alice always gave off such a masculine vibe. She used to be a he.

by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2018 2:08 AM

R91 Is that why Sam the butcher only hit it from the back and did not want to marry her?

by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2018 2:22 AM

Hart to Hart had BEAUTIFUL furniture

by Anonymousreply 93October 9, 2018 3:04 AM

[quote]The apartment that Ralph and Alice Cramban lived in...

Who are they?

by Anonymousreply 94October 9, 2018 3:55 AM

R94, the godamned honeymooners! Google their apartment and you’ll see what my place looks like.

by Anonymousreply 95October 9, 2018 5:12 PM

The apartment in Good Times is my style decor.

by Anonymousreply 96October 9, 2018 5:14 PM

Mine is the home in Sanford & Son.

by Anonymousreply 97October 9, 2018 5:14 PM

I don't know how *comfortable* it all would have been, but the selection of italian furniture to be used in conjunction with Keith Youngs interiors on Space:1999 resulted in one of the believable visions of Futurism ever presented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 9, 2018 10:10 PM

r95=Trump voter

by Anonymousreply 99October 9, 2018 10:40 PM

R99 is pressed.

by Anonymousreply 100October 9, 2018 10:48 PM

I loved Evelyn Harper’s house and everything in it, on Two and a half men. I know it reflects her cold and controlled character, but it is oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 101October 10, 2018 12:57 PM

The apartment set used for the show “vicious” is dark, but so fucking gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 102October 10, 2018 1:48 PM

Hey, R23, my problem with the kitchen on "Family Ties" is they had a bulletin board on the front of their kitchen island and it was maybe three feet above the floor. Who but a small child could have found that practical?

by Anonymousreply 103October 10, 2018 5:23 PM

Mention of The Honeymooners reminds me that the Nortons and the Kramdens live in the same building, but the Nortons have attractive furnishings and more space while the Kramdens have a tiny kitchen (with an ice box) which serves as their main living area - borderline impoverished. A door leads to what must be a bedroom. Ed is a sewer worker and Ralph a bus driver.

by Anonymousreply 104October 10, 2018 7:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!