Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brett Kavanaugh confirmed to Supreme Court

Pathetic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447October 12, 2018 5:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2018 8:13 PM

Squi must be very happy.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2018 8:14 PM

The hatred has consumed me.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2018 8:14 PM

How soon before we can add three more seats to the Supreme Court?

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2018 8:15 PM

A depressing day for America. The moral hypocrisy and inconsistencies and ineptitude of your political class on full display to you and the world. So glad I live in the UK even with the cluster fuck of brexit. Abortion and gay marriage are not really salient or major issues in our politics and I'm puzzled why they are in the US. There's more let people make their own personal decisions over here than in the USA it seems.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2018 8:15 PM

I hope he enjoys it for the next few months. Not really, but whatever.

We'll see him at the House investigation hearings in January/February.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2018 8:15 PM

Wrong-way Avenatti ran the ball down his own team's side of the field for a touchdown.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2018 8:16 PM

I know some of you will be hysterical but take hid and calm the eff down. R6 see him for what exactly.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2018 8:18 PM

R7, quit trying to blame hottie Avenatti troll.

Kavanaugh will be removed once the Democrats take control in January.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2018 8:19 PM

So glad live in Canada, because even when we had the most Conservative PM in history (Stephen Harper) one of his failures was to find judges that were extreme right. He could only find judges that were Conservative moderates. And that frustrated Harper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2018 8:20 PM

Well, I certainly hope he takes a bit of time and has his mouth stretched.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2018 8:21 PM

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2018 8:22 PM

He's a fucking piece of shit!!!

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2018 8:23 PM

Are Susan Sarandon and the Jill Stein and Bernie supporters fucking happy now?

Elections matter, you assholes.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2018 8:23 PM

It's not Avenatti's fault that the Rethuglican US Senate put a third-rate political hack on the Supreme Court. A Ken Starr alum, really? That's the best they could do? No.

Either Kavanaugh will be removed or his life will be made so unbearable that he'll step down. Either way, he's not going to be sitting on that bench for much longer. ,

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2018 8:24 PM

R9. No supreme court justice has ever been removed. My goodness most of you are really delusional.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2018 8:24 PM

It feels like America is allowing itself to go backwards. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2018 8:25 PM

R15. Keep dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2018 8:25 PM

Shut the fuck up, R14, ain't nobody got time for that now.

We look forward and all those who may have made a mistake or simply sat out the last election have every reason to vote in this one. We welcome them and we're not going to give them shit at this time.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2018 8:25 PM

Trump's upcoming smug tweet about it is going to be nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2018 8:27 PM

r14 can say what she wants r19. You're not the DL police, hon.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2018 8:27 PM

Hopefully he goes on a bender and ends up at the bottom of the Potomac.

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2018 8:28 PM

Americans are way too religious. When I went to London at 17 was the first time I talked to nonbelievers. Up to then I’d thought everyone just went to church and believed. That allowed me to question myself and drop Christianity from my life and see America for the flakey kooky place that it in many ways is. The idiotic abortion issue drives people to the polls for Republicans like a fly to a turd. And here we are today looking at 30 years of Judge Brat Kravenaugh.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2018 8:28 PM

Shut the fuck up, r21, I can say what I want you're not the DL police, hon.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2018 8:29 PM

Another big day in the decline of the US.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2018 8:30 PM

Sexually abusive alcoholic liar approved to Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2018 8:30 PM

" FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE SHIT IN MY MOUTH! "

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2018 8:31 PM

[bold]Bernie Sanders[/bold] and [bold]Vermont[/bold] will forever be soiled. There is a special place in hell for Bernie and his supporters.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Oh fuck off Avenatti hater. Blame the motherfucking shady and spineless GOP. Blame the non-voting cunts too.i don't think he'll be there forever. Enjoy it Bart the Frat Douche while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2018 8:33 PM

The confirmation was pretty much a foregone conclusion . And Kavanaugh will not be removed - there is simple no chance that could happen politically just like Trump won't be removed.

There is a very minimal chance that all of the shit surrounding this nomination will serve to temper somewhat Kavanaugh's extreme right wing vews. It's a dream, but the only one we have at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2018 8:38 PM

I need to barf. Maybe I should get a seat on the court.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2018 8:39 PM

R30 is Miss Doom and Gloom and also Miss I Don't Know What I'm Talking About.

Kavanaugh and Trump are both in very serious jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2018 8:43 PM

Maybe Kavanaugh with stumble and fall off the bench.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2018 8:43 PM

It is wrong that I want Brat to fall waaay of the wagon?

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2018 8:45 PM

Right r33. Can you imagine the party for him and how shitfaced Brett is going to get tonight. He could have a mishap and fall through a plate glass window or something. Just a happy thought.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2018 8:46 PM

Please stop aiming for the lowest common denominator. Bernie, Sarandon, 3rd Party or whoever else you want to blame is not the reason why today happened. Today happened because: (1)Democrats stopped fighting for the middle America, blue collar guy to chase after technocrats, Wall Street and all their money twenty years ago. (2)Millions of Americans didn't bother to show up to the 2016 election.

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2018 8:47 PM

Tiny mean mouth whiney little bitch....without commas.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2018 8:48 PM

R32 is Miss Dreaming with her head up her ass.

Do you even know what it takes to remove a President or S.Ct justice from office? Do you really think the Dems will get 67 seats in the Senate this November? Do you know your ass from a hole in the ground?R

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2018 8:50 PM

r36, stop being part of the problem and admit those were part of the reason why Dems lost. They were. FACT.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2018 8:50 PM

R36 = Berniebot that does not want people to blame Bernie. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2018 8:50 PM

The GOP figured r36 that blue collar guy was a bigot and that he’d vote against his best interests if you tell him the right lies. Not saying the Democrats didn’t drop the ball, but they were and are up against people who’ll vote against themselves based on belief in the lies they want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2018 8:52 PM

We shall overcome. November is around the corner. I have noticed an uptick in negative comments on DL and I guess the Russians and right wing trolls are out in full force to convince everybody that there is no blue wave and Trump will declare himself dictator for life, so why fight it?

Stay positive, make sure to VOTE in every election, and get other people to vote. Right now it doesn’t matter why we lost in 2016, all that matters is winning in November and thereafter. I’m still frustrated myself, but we need to end the division and just freaking vote.

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2018 8:52 PM

[quote]It is wrong that I want Brat to fall waaay of the wagon?

Is he on the wagon. Has he ever admitted he was an alcoholic and does not drink at all now?

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2018 8:53 PM

Christine Blasey Ford, Debbie Ramiriez and Julie Swednick should have come forward sooner and brought their allegations out in the open the moment this asshole Kavanaugh was nominated by the pig Trump in June/July, whenever it was.

You cannot wait until the 11th hour and expect things to go your way especially when Kavanaugh's hearings were already concluded in early September. You cannot have all this commotion happen when the Repig Judiciary Committee is nearly ready to vote. You have no leverage at that point. It it were brought forward sooner, an FBI investigation may have been more in depth and not a sham as it was. Trump may have dropped Kavanaugh if he lost Repig support early on. How did Blasey Ford and her lawyers expect this would go down when Ford was insisting on remaining anonymous? You cannoy accomplish anything remaining anonymous. This isn't fucking beanbag, people. The Repigs are playing hardcore. You don't bring a butter knife to a gun fight. When will the Dems and their supporters ever learn?

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2018 8:54 PM

It's far from settled law that a justiice could be removed from the court for something that didn't happen while in was a justice. Not to mention the number of votes required.

Honestly if the Democrats were have enough votes to try and remove Kcanaugh I'd prefer they spend their energy and time on healthcare, taxes, undoing the damage Trump has done to the environment etc....

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2018 8:54 PM

I told you in 2 other threads that it was just a dog and pony show and that he would pass.

You can always trust DL for real gossip.

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2018 8:55 PM

R5. Ouch. Quebec bound it is!

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2018 8:55 PM

R38, I've seen a president driven from office in my lifetime.

I haven't seen a Supreme Court Justice run off the court but since Kavanaugh lied to the Senate in 2004, 2006 and again in 2018 and there's proof of it, I'm not overly concerned.

There is more than one way to push someone out of office or off the bench. You don't necessarily have to have the votes.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2018 8:56 PM

[quote] The confirmation was pretty much a foregone conclusion .

Not according to the datalounge braintrust. I kept reading here he was a lost cause about to withdraw his nomination any day now.

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2018 8:57 PM

Well, if karma does exist he will celebrate tonite and die of alcohol poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2018 8:57 PM

[quote] This isn't fucking beanbag, people.

lol, sure thing, Vasily, whatever you say.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2018 8:57 PM

We're officially at war. The backlash will change this country forever more.

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2018 8:59 PM

r42 = realism = negativity troll

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2018 8:59 PM

There was hope that the Republicans would fear a blue wave if they push Kavenaugh through if there is a big enough media backlash. The Republicans didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2018 8:59 PM

Susan Collins pledged she would only serve two terms in 1996. She's currently in her forth term and perhaps she'll seek a fifth term. I hope she's out, one way or another, once here term is ended in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2018 8:59 PM

r43 "I STILL like BEER!" is not something a successfully recovering alcoholic screams at the Senators conducting his job interview before an international audience of millions.

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2018 8:59 PM

R45, to accomplish what you wish to accomplish, we can't have Kavanaugh on the bench giving the scum a 5-4 advantage on every vote.

He'll have to be pushed off the bench. It can be done. He lied in every one of his confirmation hearings. Every. Single. One. It is provable. He is removable.

by Anonymousreply 57October 6, 2018 8:59 PM

The Dems can impeach Kavanaugh if they take over the House of Representative. However, it takes 67 votes in the Senate to convict. So sure, go ahead and impeach, but it may be viewed by the public as a loss, a waste of time, further dividing the country. Impeachment talk is fine for today, but you have to view it in the political climate of when an impeachment vote would take place. I want the fucker gone today, but removing him or even talking about removing him is another issue.

by Anonymousreply 58October 6, 2018 9:00 PM

Blue wave 2018

by Anonymousreply 59October 6, 2018 9:00 PM

R15 offers hope. Step up Americans!

by Anonymousreply 60October 6, 2018 9:00 PM

R53, can you speak in full sentences or is that too much for you?

Realism doesn’t equal giving up.

by Anonymousreply 61October 6, 2018 9:01 PM

R49, apparently Kavanaugh, too, thought it was over. When he went in after Dr. Blasey Ford he thought he'd already lost. And he felt vewwy vewwy sowwy for himself.

by Anonymousreply 62October 6, 2018 9:01 PM

A depressing day for America.

Indeed; every day since Dump was inaugurated has been a depressing one, but that is a particularly bad day. I've had nothing but TCM on all day.

- As a large angry lesbian once said "liars get cancer" so I hope Kavanaugh develops the kind of brain cancer that killed McCain and dies sooner rather than later - I hope Susan Collins & Orrin Hatch never have a peaceful day and are hounded by protesters and hecklers wherever they go - I hope Scream Queen Lindsay is primaried out by some die hard Trumpie that goes after him as a fat old queer; he deserves to be killed by the monster he helped create

And hopefully, once mid-terms are over, Mueller will be back in business and the indictments will start to roll...

by Anonymousreply 63October 6, 2018 9:02 PM

Kavanaugh is bright, so why couldn't he answer the question "How many drinks is too many drinks?"

by Anonymousreply 64October 6, 2018 9:02 PM

If Ginsberg kicks the bucket before 2020, Trump will probably nominate Amy Barrett---who is super conservative.

by Anonymousreply 65October 6, 2018 9:03 PM

R64, “I don’t know, the blood alcohol chart amount?”

by Anonymousreply 66October 6, 2018 9:03 PM

No one says "I still like beer" except for a current drunk. That statement is a drunk's attempt to neutralize and rationalize their drunken behavior and attitude...and to make beer harmless as if one can't be an alcoholic blackout drunk while drinking beer.

by Anonymousreply 67October 6, 2018 9:03 PM

r59 lacks the brains to get put on the vote hacking team and, instead, has to come here to play Good Cop to Vasily's "White Women Are Cunts" "Democrats Are Lazy" "Avenatti is A Fraud" Bad Cop. You're all bad actors.

by Anonymousreply 68October 6, 2018 9:04 PM

[Quote] can you speak in full sentences or is that too much for you?

Why? You clearly understood what I said, troll.

by Anonymousreply 69October 6, 2018 9:04 PM

[quote]We shall overcome.

I’m sorry, sweetie, but no we won’t. Trump’s election was the beginning of the end and it’s going to get much, much worse.

by Anonymousreply 70October 6, 2018 9:04 PM

r52, I so hope you are right.

by Anonymousreply 71October 6, 2018 9:05 PM

Anyone who blames this on Avenatti, Sanders or Sanders supporters gets automatically banned. Stop wasting time with lies blaming the wrong people. Fools.

by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2018 9:06 PM

r71 forgot to sign as "Bugout-Bagging As I Type"

by Anonymousreply 73October 6, 2018 9:07 PM

Banned from what, your feed? I doubt many here would give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 74October 6, 2018 9:08 PM

As long people have learned from the 2016 election then it was worth something. Don't waste your vote and be strategic.

by Anonymousreply 75October 6, 2018 9:08 PM

The time has come to pack the Supreme Court by increasing the number of Justices. Some Democrats are now seriously considering this option should they win in 2020.

There will be those who say it’s not democratic but since when did the Republicans respect democracy or the voice of the people.

After the way the Republicans have rammed this nomination through they have lost the argument on rules, democracy and legitimacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 6, 2018 9:09 PM

[quote]Anyone who blames this on Avenatti, Sanders or Sanders supporters

Sorry, but why lump them all on one group? I can like Avenatti and dislike what Sanders did to Clinton's candidacy in the summer of 2016. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 77October 6, 2018 9:09 PM

This country is maggot-covered puddle of diarrhea, and is about to get even worse.

by Anonymousreply 78October 6, 2018 9:09 PM

This smug senatrix bitch:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 6, 2018 9:09 PM

Muriel is that you @ r72?

by Anonymousreply 80October 6, 2018 9:10 PM

R14

Yup if Clinton was elected we wouldn’t be facing this utter shitshow.

Oh let’s be clear straight white women are showing their true colors many of them are complicit in supporting these pieces of shit. They will support Satan himself if it allows to remain in their little racist, xenophobic, homophobic, self-hating bubble

by Anonymousreply 81October 6, 2018 9:11 PM

[quote]Democrats stopped fighting for the middle America, blue collar guy to chase after technocrats, Wall Street and all their money twenty years ago.

It's certainly true that Democrats have lost a lot of ground with blue collar voters & rural voters over the past 2 decades.

Bill Clinton was the last Democrat who was able to resonate with blue collar & rural voters and win certain areas of the country.

Bill Clinton was able to win states like Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, Arizona & Georgia.

All of those states have been out of reach for the Democrats since 2000.

by Anonymousreply 82October 6, 2018 9:11 PM

"If came here for Justice, you came to the wrong town"

Has a more ominous meaning now

by Anonymousreply 83October 6, 2018 9:13 PM

There are blue collar voters and rural areas in every state, not just in the center of the country and the South.

by Anonymousreply 84October 6, 2018 9:13 PM

It's interesting that Repubs see politics solely as a means to beating Democrats (as evident from that Tweet at R79). Nothing about the country or its people.

Our Democratic leaders need to understand that the stage is set for a "FOR and AGAINST game," and they need to firmly state their side.

by Anonymousreply 85October 6, 2018 9:13 PM

Someone bust open the closet on that sniveling little bitch Graham so all his knuckledragging, sister-fucking supporters can be outraged.

by Anonymousreply 86October 6, 2018 9:13 PM

[quote]Anyone who blames [...] [bold]Sanders or Sanders supporters[/bold] gets automatically banned.

R72 = Sanders Supported that voted for Trump. Fuck off asshole! Bernie Sanders should be dragged for as long as he is alive.

by Anonymousreply 87October 6, 2018 9:14 PM

Impeachment will never happen the Democrats are entirely too spineless. The Republicans are evil personified but the Democrats could stand to have an overhaul from top to bottom.

by Anonymousreply 88October 6, 2018 9:15 PM

[quote]Christine Blasey Ford, Debbie Ramiriez and Julie Swednick should have come forward sooner and brought their allegations out in the open the moment this asshole Kavanaugh was nominated by the pig Trump in June/July, whenever it was.

HE LIIED REPEATEDLY ON THE STAND! Even if you don't believe the sexual assault allegations, he committed perjury multiple times that day. That should have been an immediate disqualification.

The media is just as much to blame for this as well. This should have been hammered home by the press. He lied. You now have a Supreme Court justice who is a proven liar dictating the laws for this country.

by Anonymousreply 89October 6, 2018 9:15 PM

Don't really see this happening, but ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 6, 2018 9:16 PM

[quote] Abortion and gay marriage are not really salient or major issues in our politics and I'm puzzled why they are in the US.

BECAUSE OF JESUS, R5. If you want to understand American politics, you have to understand the influence of religion. Religion is, for many Americans, the sole lens through which they view race, gender, sexual orientation, class, the economy, international relations, etc. Republicans are adept at both subtle and overt use of religion to achieve their aims.

by Anonymousreply 91October 6, 2018 9:16 PM

[quote]Christine Blasey Ford... should have come forward sooner and brought their allegations out in the open the moment this asshole Kavanaugh was nominated by the pig Trump in June/July, whenever it was.

She did, you dumb fuck. Stop blaming women; without Ford we would know NOTHING about Kavanaugh.

[quote]In early July 2018, after Judge Brett Kavanaugh was reported to be on Donald Trump's shortlist to become an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, Ford contacted both The Washington Post and her congresswoman, Anna Eshoo. On July 20, eleven days after Trump nominated Kavanaugh, Eshoo met with Ford, becoming convinced of her credibility and noting that Ford seemed "terrified" that her identity as an accuser might become public.

by Anonymousreply 92October 6, 2018 9:16 PM

And here you have one of the reasons why the young don't bother to vote. It isn't that they're all lazy and ill-informed, blase, etc. They don't believe in the system, and here is yet another occurrence to reinforce that stance. They don't believe in the system, and they rightfully surmise it to be completely sullied by corruption.

by Anonymousreply 93October 6, 2018 9:18 PM

[quote] Impeachment will never happen the Democrats are entirely too spineless.

Impeachment or removal of Kavanaugh will not happen because it would require a 2/3 majority in the Senate.

What do you want from Democrats? To magically multiply in the Senate?

by Anonymousreply 94October 6, 2018 9:18 PM

Kavanaugh is on for good, just like Clarence Thomas. It’s primarily sad to me because Trump is making white male power even more dominant, so even if they are accused they turn the tables and discredit the victim. And Susan Collins is a grade A cunt. She allowed herself to be denigrated and used by MCconnell, just to get a Republican on the Supreme Court. The fact that he assaulted women, lied under oath and exhibited an inappropriate demeanor for a judge was all cast aside. I hope a bomb kills her.

by Anonymousreply 95October 6, 2018 9:19 PM

[quote]There are blue collar voters and rural areas in every state, not just in the center of the country and the South.

True.

Which is why Hillary lost Michigan, Wisconsin & Pennsylvania in 2016, and had a close call in Minnesota.

(Plus lost a congressional district in Maine for the first time since 1988).

Obama was able to overcome Democratic weakness among blue collar & rural voters in those states because he got huge turnout in the cities and did well with younger voters & racial minorities.

When Democratic turnout in the cities fell in 2016, there wasn't enough support in other areas to compensate. That's how Trump edged out Hillary in WI, MI & PA (& came close in MN).

In order to win back those states, the next Democratic Nominee will need to a) get turnout backup in the cities where it was under Obama and/or b) increase support in rural counties.

by Anonymousreply 96October 6, 2018 9:19 PM

Jesus Christ, Someone just shoot the fucker and let's all move on.

by Anonymousreply 97October 6, 2018 9:20 PM

My FFs just got renewed!

by Anonymousreply 98October 6, 2018 9:20 PM

No, Kavanaugh is most definitely not "on there for good" by any stretch of the imagination.

---- From WaPo

Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court has been confirmed.

A bitterly divided Senate confirmed President Trump’s nominee to a lifetime appointment to the nation’s highest court on Saturday.

So what comes next?

In early September, even before the recent spate of sexual misconduct allegations, murmurs among Kavanaugh opponents fixated on whether he had lied under oath before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Some Senate Democrats took to social media to air their ire and frustration. One former deputy assistant U.S. attorney general, who previously worked for a top Democrat, even called for Kavanaugh’s impeachment from the federal judiciary.

“Much of Washington has spent the week focusing on whether Judge Brett Kavanaugh should be confirmed to the Supreme Court,” Lisa Graves wrote in a Slate column on Sept. 7, more than a week before the New Yorker published the then-anonymous sexual assault claims of Christine Blasey Ford. “After the revelations of his confirmation hearings, the better question is whether he should be impeached from the federal judiciary. I do not raise that question lightly, but I am certain it must be raised.”

Graves wrote that Kavanaugh had misled the Judiciary Committee about the stolen documents that Graves had written as chief counsel for nominations for Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) when he was the chairman of the committee.

Kavanaugh, she wrote, “lied. Under oath. And he did so repeatedly.”

Therefore, she concluded, “he should not be confirmed. In fact, by his own standard, he should clearly be impeached.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 6, 2018 9:22 PM

R94 Which is why we must use court-packing or complete reform of the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 100October 6, 2018 9:23 PM

[quote]We'll see him at the House investigation hearings in January/February.

There won't be any investigations, hon. That's not how any of that works. It's over.

by Anonymousreply 101October 6, 2018 9:23 PM

[quote]No, Kavanaugh is most definitely not "on there for good" by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, yes he is.

by Anonymousreply 102October 6, 2018 9:24 PM

R77: You dislike Sanders endorsing Hillary and campaigning for her vigorously in the summer and fall of 2016? Strange.

And I'm so sorry PUMAs, but that is reality. Anything else about the old man and his supporters, like me, who voted for Rodham Clinton, is made up bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 103October 6, 2018 9:25 PM

The Republicans made a terrible mistake confirming Kavanaugh under these circumstances. Any chance of a red wave is gone and they fell right into the trap of the corporatist, third way wing of the Democratic party. This was a ploy to enrage white women to get to the polls in November. If the GOP was smarter and didn't have the petulant Rump worrying about getting indicted by Mueller, they would have pulled Kavanaugh and waited until after the midterms to go with someone else. Now that they squeaked him in on the thinest of margins possible, they are going to face a voting constituency whose votes they can't easily suppress.

Democrats don't have to get 67 seats to remove Kavanaugh just as the Reich didn't need 60 votes to confirm him. All they need to do is take the chamber (which is a reasonable goal) and the house and they can do it on their own. Change the rules and you can do anything. If Democrats want any of their priorities to stick after passing legislation, they'll have to remove him. Leaving him there is no option if they plan to pass anything that won't get struck down. That will motivate women to show up and even have some defect from the GOP and from independent women to the Democratic side. Republicans will pay for it next month. It's a temporary setback, sure, but in the grand schemes of things, Republicans just dug their own grave. Many of them will be finding new jobs on November 7th and I guarantee you Susan Collins will "coincidentally" announce her retirement before 2020.

by Anonymousreply 104October 6, 2018 9:25 PM

When they outlaw abortion, how are women supposed to terminate an unwanted pregnancy?

You just know that women of means will have no problem getting an abortion even if it's illegal.

by Anonymousreply 105October 6, 2018 9:25 PM

[quote]HE LIIED REPEATEDLY ON THE STAND!

Lied about what exactly? If you say how much he had to drink as a kid, you're not going to get very far.

by Anonymousreply 106October 6, 2018 9:25 PM

R101, 102 and 106, please see R99.

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 107October 6, 2018 9:26 PM

[quote]You dislike Sanders endorsing Hillary and campaigning for her vigorously in the summer and fall of 2016?

You mean trashing her and staying in the race until the very last possible moment so he could do as much damage as possible, even when he knew he wasn't going to win. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 108October 6, 2018 9:26 PM

You are all the most overwrought fraus I’ve ever seen. Collect yourselves and reign it in! Geez.

by Anonymousreply 109October 6, 2018 9:26 PM

R104: They can't change the rules, you fool. It's in the GOD DAMN Constitution!

by Anonymousreply 110October 6, 2018 9:27 PM

[quote]When they outlaw abortion

They won't outlaw abortion. There will be chipping away at access. The masses won't notice. That's how this works.

by Anonymousreply 111October 6, 2018 9:27 PM

The sound of the women protesting and screaming outside the room was very effective but not to the cold as ice republicans. Pence just kept banging his gavel which was enraging me.

by Anonymousreply 112October 6, 2018 9:28 PM

Seeing pissed off females (straight/lez/bi) on my social media (yes, the white, affluent ones as well). I do think they will be making a difference next month, come voting time.

Not seeing much uproar from the straight males but I've pretty much written them off.

Today sucks but perhaps next month, things will look a bit brighter.

by Anonymousreply 113October 6, 2018 9:31 PM

Wait, people think things will change in November because voting?

by Anonymousreply 114October 6, 2018 9:31 PM

R94

I’m aware the Democrats do not have control of the Senate. Are you really foolish that impeachment would be pursued if they had the numbers? They just won’t do it repeatedly and on several issues for at the least the past 30 years the Democrats have allowed themselves to be bullied.

by Anonymousreply 115October 6, 2018 9:35 PM

R113, I thought they'd make a big difference in 2016 by voting for our first woman president, but it didn't happen. White, married women are the problem. Their class and privilege is more important to them than their gender rights.

by Anonymousreply 116October 6, 2018 9:38 PM

R95

Yup Clarence Thomas isn’t going anywhere nor is this abusive drunk. They only way to have stopped BK was stopping his confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 117October 6, 2018 9:38 PM

R115 I don't think they're going to have much of choice this time, if the blue wave is as big as some are making it out to be.

People aren't going to be voting simply to cheer because they have the democratic majority. People are voting to rectify situations like this. And if there's no action, a lot of people are going to be extremely pissed.

by Anonymousreply 118October 6, 2018 9:39 PM

R93

You dummy if young people had voted these POS wouldn’t be sitting in Senate. Arguing this is just as bad as arguing to vote for the Orange Turd and his cronies.

by Anonymousreply 119October 6, 2018 9:40 PM

Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court has been confirmed.

A bitterly divided Senate confirmed President Trump’s nominee to a lifetime appointment to the nation’s highest court on Saturday.

So what comes next?

In early September, even before the recent spate of sexual misconduct allegations, murmurs among Kavanaugh opponents fixated on whether he had lied under oath before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Some Senate Democrats took to social media to air their ire and frustration. One former deputy assistant U.S. attorney general, who previously worked for a top Democrat, even called for Kavanaugh’s impeachment from the federal judiciary.

“Much of Washington has spent the week focusing on whether Judge Brett Kavanaugh should be confirmed to the Supreme Court,” Lisa Graves wrote in a Slate column on Sept. 7, more than a week before the New Yorker published the then-anonymous sexual assault claims of Christine Blasey Ford. “After the revelations of his confirmation hearings, the better question is whether he should be impeached from the federal judiciary. I do not raise that question lightly, but I am certain it must be raised.”

Graves wrote that Kavanaugh had misled the Judiciary Committee about the stolen documents that Graves had written as chief counsel for nominations for Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) when he was the chairman of the committee.

Kavanaugh, she wrote, “lied. Under oath. And he did so repeatedly.”

Therefore, she concluded, “he should not be confirmed. In fact, by his own standard, he should clearly be impeached.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 6, 2018 9:41 PM

I hope you are right that this will lead to a blue wave in November. People need to channel their anger and vote.

I do think Susan Collins is DOA. Her believing Ford but putting on Kavanaugh betrayed reason and she will forever be known as the cunt who ruined everything.

by Anonymousreply 121October 6, 2018 9:41 PM

Ugly, ugly, ugly, hateful America has won yet again. The smirking racist, sexist, homophobic, robber-barons have another victory. This is the country we live in.

by Anonymousreply 122October 6, 2018 9:45 PM

They are swearing kavanaugh in today too. Rumor is there is more out there, in terms of, allegations or information being suppressed. You do not confirm and swear in a Justice on the same day. There is no need. Everything about Kavanaugh is so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 123October 6, 2018 9:45 PM

IDK, R116. That they vote is a good thing, as opposed to those too apathetic to bother. Voters can be swayed, be inspired, be shocked, to vote for someone they might not, normally.

It happened with Obama on a larger scale, we just need it to happen next month, in enough places to make a difference.

I refuse to lose hope but I understand that some days, like today, just sucks shit.

by Anonymousreply 124October 6, 2018 9:45 PM

[quote] You do not confirm and swear in a Justice on the same day. There is no need.

There is if the new Justice is to take his place on the court and hear cases Monday morning.

by Anonymousreply 125October 6, 2018 9:50 PM

They want Kavanaugh sworn in ASAP to get him on the court ASAP and use it to fire up the Republicans for November. Trump is going to be doing several of his Hitler rallies between now and November, and this is a huge win for him. I don’t know however if even Republicans feel that passionate about Brett, who seems like a drunk douche.

by Anonymousreply 126October 6, 2018 9:51 PM

[quote]I do think Susan Collins is DOA. Her believing Ford but putting on Kavanaugh betrayed reason and she will forever be known as the cunt who ruined everything.

It's too soon to write Susan Collins off.

She won her last election in Maine by a huge margin, and had good approval ratings before the Kavanaugh Hearings.

Collins will take a hit from this, but the Democrats will still need to run a strong campaign against her if they want to defeat her in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 127October 6, 2018 9:51 PM

I just can't anymore with the idiots I mean just dirt dumb morons who think ignoring gop election fraud causes it to cease to exist. None of your prognostications are anywhere at all within the realm of reality because you refuse to face the facts of electronic vote hacking, vote flipping, voter roll purges, straight dem ticket & early & absentee ballots being thrown in the garbage, a merry-go-round of voter suppression tactics, social engineering warfare and gerrymandering. If you are not including these issues in your brainless kneejerk bumpersticker blathering, then you're contributing even less than the KGB trolls. At least their posts, real their strategies. Your posts just show how much dead weight progressives are forced drag around behind us.

by Anonymousreply 128October 6, 2018 9:51 PM

And J hope more stories do come out about Brett since that will fire up Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 129October 6, 2018 9:52 PM

Yeah! R128 knows everything and it's HOPELESS!

by Anonymousreply 130October 6, 2018 9:53 PM

R7, He wasn't a blip on the radar for this one. You can stop trying now.

by Anonymousreply 131October 6, 2018 9:56 PM

R127: Here's where past performance means nothing. Pro-choice Democratic women always voted for her dead ass because she was a pro-choice woman like them.That was her campaign pitch to them. That is so dead now. She can't campaign on that. And without those women, she can't win. Bitch goin home in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 132October 6, 2018 9:56 PM

Susan Collins is now the old guard of phonies. She will rue the day she turned her back on women.

by Anonymousreply 133October 6, 2018 9:57 PM

I wuv blue

by Anonymousreply 134October 6, 2018 9:58 PM

VOTE The Republicans out of office. They could have pick someone else.

VOTE VOTE VOTE

REgister to Vote.

Double Check that you are register and prepare how you are going to VOTE

Study, get all materials, so you know how you are going to VOTE for every elected office, every judge, every initiative.

VOTE the Republicans out of office.

BLUE WAVE. This is the only check we have left on abuse of power. The Judiciary is not there for us anymore. The US Supreme Court has fallen.

by Anonymousreply 135October 6, 2018 9:59 PM

R114: Sorry but my Little Red Book and Mao Suit are in the shop. Violent revolution is called off. One simply can't violently revolt without proper attire and tasteful reading for the occasion. Voting it is.

by Anonymousreply 136October 6, 2018 10:01 PM

R136, right. Apparently we’re all just supposed to sit back and do nothing instead. Vote in EVERY future election. Show up. Vote blue. That’s really the entire secret.

by Anonymousreply 137October 6, 2018 10:03 PM

Kav confirmed only a month away from midterm elections. And yet those Repub asswipes wouldn't even hold hearings for Merrick Garland on a election year. Such hypocrisy! Throw those mutherfuckers out!

by Anonymousreply 138October 6, 2018 10:05 PM

Devastated by the news myself. Have to pull myself up and out, hover over our globe. Take another view as an outsider. What do I see?

I see the #metoo movement losing steam. Went too far, no leadership. Same with BLM.

There's just too much division amongst the female and black american communities.

The secret is to play by "the mans" laws and strangle him with it. Women never learn this combat technique. Too busy stepping on each other to gain favors. Sadly, this is true. Holds for the underclass.

Part of me wonders a different outcome if Brett's accusers were a hot piece of ass. Don't you? Don't lie. We all wondered the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 139October 6, 2018 10:06 PM

R132, Susan Collins won 67% of the vote in her last election. That's a huge margin in a Senate race.

Her popularity has declined in Maine since then, but she is still a well-entrenched Senator, and there are a lot of older voters in Maine.

The Democrats will need to run a strong candidate against her if they want to be assured of beating her -- someone like Congresswoman Chellie Pingree, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 140October 6, 2018 10:08 PM

I disagree, and you sound awful. I think the polling is going to heavily turn against Republicans since people are sick and tired of Trump, and as more abuse stories or lies pile up around Kavanaugh.

by Anonymousreply 141October 6, 2018 10:10 PM

So many Pollyannas in this thread. I get it but damn it's borderline delusional.

by Anonymousreply 142October 6, 2018 10:11 PM

So many trolls on this thread. It's like they all come out of the woodwork like slugs after a rain.

by Anonymousreply 143October 6, 2018 10:12 PM

His clerk behind him flashing white power signs (don’t bullshit me -she knew what she was doing) was unreal and shocking to me. Such immaturity and lack of gravitas, aside from the naked racism. And I see Condi behind him, that despicable war criminal. Unbelievable this drunken animal will be sitting in judgement of us all.

by Anonymousreply 144October 6, 2018 10:14 PM

Any comments from Susan Sarandon yet?

by Anonymousreply 145October 6, 2018 10:15 PM

I sound awful, R141? I was trying to provide some objective data on the situation in Maine.

Nate Silver said yesterday that he thinks Susan Collins is still a favorite to win in 2020.

It's not an easy race to call at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 6, 2018 10:16 PM

R139, no one but you Regthuglican trolls wondered that.

The rest of us saw the 15 year old child Kavanaugh tried to rape.

by Anonymousreply 147October 6, 2018 10:16 PM

r143,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 6, 2018 10:17 PM

What is SECupp? I only watch CNN once a year. What's her deal?

by Anonymousreply 149October 6, 2018 10:17 PM

Poll Troll, these guys probably don't know you the way that we do.

It's fine. You're a fabulous contributor to the DL, as ever.

by Anonymousreply 150October 6, 2018 10:18 PM

Call me crazy but one needs to wonder why true beauties are always absent in the female power base. Don't tell me. Don't ask this of women. Fugs will refute you. Watch the beauties live out their lives silently and be interred to their graves.

Dr.Blase being a homely cow didn't help matters. Sadly i believe a true beauty would remain silent as there would be too many women in her past, butt hurt, snapping her neck, assassinating her character. Just think about someone's bitter loser ex sister in law jumping in this and going to the press.

Asking the innocent underclass

by Anonymousreply 151October 6, 2018 10:23 PM

R113 - Here's the problem. Unless those women are voting in races that challenge current GOP legislators, we're not going anywhere. Social media is great, but it can be misleading.

Put it this way: if social media was an indicator of what's actually happening, then Cynthia Nixon would've blown Mario Cuomo out of the primary. In other words, all social media was in that case was a very loud minority. I hope in November is different.

by Anonymousreply 152October 6, 2018 10:25 PM

Relax, I was talking about 139

by Anonymousreply 153October 6, 2018 10:25 PM

Sure, Mrs. Graham at R151. Beauties would never protest for women’s rights or even get arrested. You sound like an asshole, probably because you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 6, 2018 10:26 PM

[quote]Cynthia Nixon would've blown Mario Cuomo out of the primary.

I think Mario Cuomo departed this world quite some time ago. ;)

by Anonymousreply 155October 6, 2018 10:27 PM

R149 - S.E. Cupp used to write for the NY Daily News. She's been a CNN contributor/pundit for a while. She's like a moderate conservative.

by Anonymousreply 156October 6, 2018 10:28 PM

Republicans to American girls and women, “You can scream all you want, but we will just cover your mouths and turn up the music!”

And we will LAUGH the whole time!

by Anonymousreply 157October 6, 2018 10:29 PM

SE Cupp is a loud, strident, woman-hating, typical Rethuglican cunt.

by Anonymousreply 158October 6, 2018 10:30 PM

Today I heard Senator Upchuck Gassey say something to the effect of, "now that this is behind us can we return to the collegiate behavior practiced in the Senate in the past?"

To which I reply, "Hell no!" Do you ask a rape victim to forgive their rapist? Does a rapist ask the victim to forgive him and be friends? Ridiculous! Yeah, forgive the rapist and get raped again. Gassey and his ilk have no shame.

Not to mention, if we return to collegiate behavior, a la Kavenaugh, there will be a whole lot of drinking and sexual assault going on.

Republicans are now the party of bigots, sexual offenders. liars and cheats, and they're OK with that. Scum.

by Anonymousreply 159October 6, 2018 10:31 PM

Pfft r158. She sounds like a typical American Christian to me.

by Anonymousreply 160October 6, 2018 10:31 PM

Thanks, r156. Her tone when talking about Kavanaugh has been slippery, depending on who she's talking with, and I couldn't pin down her allegiance.

by Anonymousreply 161October 6, 2018 10:32 PM

The situation in US looks grazier every week, every day. it has turned into some kind of far right conservative dystopia. A nightmare to dems and liberals. I feel the pain anger helplessness here among US DLs. I feel for you and hope your country will wake up from its nightmare before the elections.

by Anonymousreply 162October 6, 2018 10:32 PM

^^ R162 is European

by Anonymousreply 163October 6, 2018 10:33 PM

R157, if you're a woman with the triple threat then you would ponder this theory.

by Anonymousreply 164October 6, 2018 10:33 PM

R23, this has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with privilege and those having it getting away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 165October 6, 2018 10:34 PM

MCconnell said this will blow over. Not when you are brutally murdered in your sleep, President Snow.! The resistance will kill all of these traitors.

by Anonymousreply 166October 6, 2018 10:36 PM

R139 - The biggest problem with MeToo and TimesUp is that they rely on publicity & big names being taken down to keep their momentum going. I always knew there was going to be a point where someone accused is going to fight back and win, and Kavanaugh was it. Unless the movement can get a number of tangible wins against people accused, both famous & non famous, then it'll stay strong. If it continues to attract more attention through the media and not through the courts (criminal or civil) then the end is near.

After almost a year and $30M in fundraising, we haven't heard one successful case that TimesUp has assisted with in helping an average person fight sexual harassment.

by Anonymousreply 167October 6, 2018 10:36 PM

OK, R151, I'll call you crazy. And, if you want to see the homely cow, look in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 168October 6, 2018 10:37 PM

And with all that's being said about the Repigs we {Dems} still want to play nice. THAT makes me sick! Death to all Repigs!

by Anonymousreply 169October 6, 2018 10:37 PM

r151 became a republican because the women in those circles are easier to rape.

by Anonymousreply 170October 6, 2018 10:39 PM

Only beautiful young women are ever sexually assaulted, everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 171October 6, 2018 10:39 PM

I don't see any mention around here of the article in the WP (sorry I can't link because I don't have a subscription and I've used up all of my views for the month) about the DC Circuit Court forwarding complaints made to them about Kavanaugh to the Chief Justice Roberts and he just sat on them.

That's when I really knew the fix was in.

by Anonymousreply 172October 6, 2018 10:39 PM

Why didn't Dr. Ford's best friend confirm her account? What kind of best friend is this? fuck this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 173October 6, 2018 10:40 PM

R162, you mean us Americans? We'll be fine in the long and short run. This cat always lands on her feet. However, we pity Europeans. Your governments took in masses of criminal smegma without consulting average Joe Blow.

Sucks to be you. Bon chance!

by Anonymousreply 174October 6, 2018 10:41 PM

r172 uh yikes. People have been making Roberts sound like the last principled republican standing between us and the end of the empire. If you find another story about that can you post it, please?

by Anonymousreply 175October 6, 2018 10:42 PM

Dr Ford's friend says that she doesn't recall this particular party and that she believes Dr. Ford.

by Anonymousreply 176October 6, 2018 10:42 PM

R175, is your Google broken?

by Anonymousreply 177October 6, 2018 10:42 PM

R167, respectfully, you're lost.

by Anonymousreply 178October 6, 2018 10:43 PM

R174 Well I’m glad if everything turns alright. I see difficulties in the future for US liberals and their ideas of good. Here in Europe right wing parties are sadly rising, too, but I live in liberal north and no reason to be sorry for us, either.

by Anonymousreply 179October 6, 2018 10:48 PM

So much for "#metoo changed everything!"

Despite this, every MRA asshole is still going to whine and bitch about how mere accusations DESTROY men's lives and being accused of rape is just as bad as being raped. While the GOP leaders, many accused and actual rapists themselves, feign outrage and then behind closed doors have a good laugh with their billionaire supporters.

by Anonymousreply 180October 6, 2018 10:49 PM

if he had any dignity or respect for the american democratic process, he would have withdrawn his nomination.

total fucking scum.

by Anonymousreply 181October 6, 2018 10:52 PM

[quote]Dr Ford's friend says that she doesn't recall this particular party and that she believes Dr. Ford.

That was something the right wing misrepresented making it sound like she did not believe, and of course, the media always reports the right wing comments as if they are facts. Even Trump's rant last week about "Ford not remembering" there was little push back that a number of things he claimed she "could not remember" she actually remembered and described in detail. While there was some clutching of the pearls over his comments, the right still took those comments and incorporated them into their rationalization that Kavanaugh should be nominated. The lies are not only not challenged they are allowed to be used as building blocks of what is later represented as some big truth.

Hasn't the metoo movement motivated a significant number of women to run for office? I am not sure we will really know the affect it had for a number of years.

by Anonymousreply 182October 6, 2018 10:55 PM

I don't know enough about the US system but if enough Democrats get elected in November, can they reverse the gerrymanding? Couldn't that be one way to get enough Democratic senators in the Senate to get rid of Kavanaugh?

by Anonymousreply 183October 6, 2018 10:56 PM

The one thing I thought would change the outcome was that retired SC justice coming out and flat out saying that Kavanaugh should not get confirmed. Has a retired SC justice ever come out and been as vocal about a SC nomination??

by Anonymousreply 184October 6, 2018 10:58 PM

The really, truly, completely EVIL people of America won another one today!

1- openly stealing the 2000 Election, rendering our Supreme Court a partisan joke, and stealing 2 Supreme Court seats

2- Citizens United, making Rich people a billion times more powerful than poor people, effectively ending all our equal this and that fantasy.

3- The Treasonous election of Donald Trump, and the stealing of 2 more SupremeCourt seats.

by Anonymousreply 185October 6, 2018 10:59 PM

R183: No. Each state gets 2 Senators, no more, no less. That's in the Constitution. The House districts are drawn by the State Governments (I believe we're the only country in the world that does this, where sub-national governments draw districts and run the elections for national offices). We need to win state governments to fix those problems. But 67 Democratic Senators? I don't see it happening anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 186October 6, 2018 11:00 PM

Miz Lindzey's part oligarch-funded PAC is running ads praising her during a network, SECN if I recall correctly, football game. Her hissy-fit at the confirmation hearings, is shown using a Fox News clip. The narrator portrays her as touch macho politician who was powerful in crushing the Democratic opposition.

The odd aspect is that she is not up for re-election for two years. Thus, one believes there may be a conspiracy to remove Sessions, and put Miz Lindzey in the Attorney General's role to terminate the Mueller investigation and halt related federal indictments.

I tried to find the ad online, but haven't seen it yet. I don't recall her PAC's name, but it is flush with money. I think it is the PAC that gave the $800,000 Russher-connected oligarch contribution.

by Anonymousreply 187October 6, 2018 11:02 PM

YES, r185. And Dems STILL want to play nice. Mind boggling !

by Anonymousreply 188October 6, 2018 11:03 PM

This tells you everything you need to know to understand the GOP's view of women in 2018, not 1918. Chuck Grassley, the 350 year old Senator from Iowa says this when asked why there aren't more women on the SC: "Well, it's a lot of work. Don't forget, compared to a lot of committee meetings, we have an executive every Thursday. ... So it's a lot of work. Maybe they don't want to do it."

Because, you know, women are just too busy stomping cabbage to get their family pantries ready for winter, and they just don't want the additional responsibility. Grassley is a rancid old cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 6, 2018 11:10 PM

R132 Susan Collins won by such a huge margin because she had all the naval ship yard unions in Maine on her side. She was instrumental in gaining $132 million dollars in funding for these shipyards. Two weeks ago Trump signed off on a 9 billion dollar contract for the building of 4 warships to be built in Maine. The timing could be coincidental but nothing suprises me these days.

by Anonymousreply 190October 6, 2018 11:10 PM

r189

it is a great deal of work to sabotage the american democratic republic! not everyone has the stomach to undermine the will of the American people.

he did lose the presidential election.

by Anonymousreply 191October 6, 2018 11:14 PM

Stephen King will fund Susan Collins opponent. Susan Collins will lose Planned Parenthood and NARAL endorsement and funds. This will all go to the Democrat. She is toast. She might not even run again.

by Anonymousreply 192October 6, 2018 11:15 PM

I don't think this a reflection at all on MeToo. The problem is that there should have been massive opposition to this from the beginning, and it just wasn't there. Sexual assault allegations did not define this. This was a politically motivated sham from the get go.

So much of "You need to wait until Mueller releases his report" and yet people didn't stop to think that the Republicans were putting someone into power who was going to either halt the report or clear anyone involved of any wrongdoing. And now here we are.

Rapid response teams should have assembled for THIS. Country wide marches should have been planned for THIS It's not like there wasn't enough time.

What were people waiting for?

by Anonymousreply 193October 6, 2018 11:19 PM

What was the nature of the complaints on Kavanaugh that were forwarded to Justice Roberts but not disclosed?

by Anonymousreply 194October 6, 2018 11:20 PM

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 6, 2018 11:28 PM

R194 It's an article on the front page of the WP homepage under "Most Read." I'm the poster who brought this up on the other thread but I have run out of visits for the month (I don't have a subscription) and I can no longer access the article.

by Anonymousreply 196October 6, 2018 11:29 PM

His gross statement sounds like a lot of the anti-woman comments on DL, R189.

by Anonymousreply 197October 6, 2018 11:36 PM

Trump hates women and tried to get Marla to get an abortion. He turned this into blaming women for being mean to poor preppy Brett

by Anonymousreply 198October 6, 2018 11:38 PM

Susan Collins is not up for reelection this year, but in 2020. Women's Health Organizations and Stephen King have already pulled money from her, PUBLICLY. So many people are pissed at her because this vote really does effect Women and Women health care. This was the vote that mattered and she betrayed them. They will not forget. The will fund progressive candidates and policies. In 2020, the democrat will win. Maine is a small state. Stephen King is very popular there.

by Anonymousreply 199October 6, 2018 11:43 PM

Then leave here, R197. Now.

by Anonymousreply 200October 6, 2018 11:43 PM

You are doomed to more right wing domination because the USA is thick as shit. Keep moaning on forums instead of voting.

Call yourselves the leader of the free world

by Anonymousreply 201October 6, 2018 11:44 PM

R194 I think it was a judge complaining about his behavior during last Thursday's hearing.

by Anonymousreply 202October 6, 2018 11:46 PM

How's the weather in Moscow, R201?

by Anonymousreply 203October 6, 2018 11:46 PM

r201

i stood in line to vote for three hours.

you do understand he lost the presidential election?

by Anonymousreply 204October 6, 2018 11:47 PM

Google is your friend, R194.

by Anonymousreply 205October 6, 2018 11:47 PM

Oooh look at r201/Grigory getting sanctimonious now! Aren't you intense!

by Anonymousreply 206October 6, 2018 11:56 PM

Susan Collins is under 50% in approval among Maine voters. And that's before the bullshit she spewed yesterday. Her fellow senator, Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Dems, is at 60%

Fuck her. She'll either retire or get beat. She's going to have a target on her back from now until 2020.

by Anonymousreply 207October 6, 2018 11:58 PM

trump regime exposed how truly third rate the us is.

that said, no one will be immigrating to russia if they have choice in the matter.

as one of my professors said about russia, 'theres no reason to go there, its not even interesting'.

by Anonymousreply 208October 7, 2018 12:02 AM

Trump told the press and Kansas cretins at his Hitler rally tonight that he is 100% certain De. Ford mistakenly identified Brett as her attacker. His lies and grandiosity know no limits.

by Anonymousreply 209October 7, 2018 12:06 AM

Democracy is dead.

Justice is dead.

by Anonymousreply 210October 7, 2018 12:06 AM

No Democrat asked the follow-up:

Judge Kavanaugh, describe the "drinking game" Devil's Triangle, if you and I were playing it. You are under oath.

Judge Kavanaugh, you stated under oath that you had several friends who were girls. Why, then, did you and other classmates single out only "Renate" in your yearbooks?

Judge Kavanaugh, you stated that "Have you boofed?" in your yearbook blurb meant, to young men graduating from your high school, "Have you had flatulence?" Remembering that you are under oath, are you certain that the term, to your knowledge, did not refer either to anal sex or to the ingesting of drugs through the rectum?

Judge Kavanaugh, In your prepared opening statement, you mentioned "the Clintons" and "revenge." Does your prepared and considered statement not suggest an animus towards Democrats that will govern your rulings?

And so on.

by Anonymousreply 211October 7, 2018 12:07 AM

No single politician worked harder to get Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court than George W. Bush. ‬

‪He worked around the clock on the phones to make this happen and openly thanks Democrats and the Obamas for his newfound popularity. ‬

‪He’s not our friend.‬

by Anonymousreply 212October 7, 2018 12:11 AM

r211

he lost the election too

by Anonymousreply 213October 7, 2018 12:14 AM

Anyone blaming Democrats needs to rot in hell.

This is ALL on Republicans. All of it.

by Anonymousreply 214October 7, 2018 12:15 AM

We have just sent a message to the youth. Boys, feel free to sexually assault the girls. There are no repercussions, well okay white boys assault the girls, you black males, you are fucked no matter what. Girls, you have no worth. Grab em by the pussy!!! Drink up! just don't put it on your calendar.

by Anonymousreply 215October 7, 2018 12:16 AM

Collins and Kavanaugh are both in the Bush family circle, that explains her vote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 7, 2018 12:28 AM

thats not my take. my take is an allegation is an allegation, not proof.

but this bitch was rolling his neck and huffing and puffing during the hearings, no respect and no dignity , a little to thin skinned for the spotlight. did he not understand he was supposed to be investigated for fitness before being appointed a lifetime 'judicial position to the highest court in the land'?

'reminds one of trump going straight from one failed business venture after the next , with no previous political or public service to the white house!' then theres the little thing about Kavanaugh having little judicial experience. just another feckless drunk party boy from the 80s like bush baby and dump.

its a race to the bottom with these people.

by Anonymousreply 217October 7, 2018 12:33 AM

Will be interesting to see whether Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV) support for Kavanaugh weakens his position in the polls.

He's already in a close fight with Jacky Rosen, and I noticed that after he boasted on Twitter about Kavanaugh getting confirmed that most of the replies from Nevadans are negative.

It's not a random, scientific sample, but it's interesting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 7, 2018 12:33 AM

R215 I think the message is yes you are free to do these things, but be prepared to sit in front of a panel of inquisitors.

by Anonymousreply 219October 7, 2018 12:33 AM

Captured a screen shot, R97, and sending to Secret Service.

by Anonymousreply 220October 7, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]He's already in a close fight with Jacky Rosen, and I noticed that after he boasted on Twitter about Kavanaugh getting confirmed that most of the replies from Nevadans are negative.

Jacky Rosen (D) was already leading in the polls, expect for Rosen to increase his lead after today.

by Anonymousreply 221October 7, 2018 12:38 AM

r219 -what panel did Trump sit on? after boasting he can grab women in the pussy because he is famous - he won the election. 65% of non-college educated women voted for him. The man who cheated on his first wife and bragged about it in the newspaper, cheated on his second wife and bragged about it again in the newspaper, cheated twice on his pregnant wife with a porn actress and a playboy playmate, bragged openly about trying to get with Nancy O'Dell and claimed he could grab women in the pussy because he is famous and can't control himself and women still voted for him. Kavanaugh lied under oath and at best molested a girl (as well as having at least 7 complaints against him as a circuit court judge.) This is not secret information. Public information and now he is a Supreme Court Justice. Congrats uneducated women. Hope you won't miss your abortions.

by Anonymousreply 222October 7, 2018 12:42 AM

he lost the fucking election!

by Anonymousreply 223October 7, 2018 12:45 AM

R192 Don't forget the nearly 3M in seed money pledged and now collected online to support her opposing Democratic candidate. There is an anonymous donor amongst them now willing to match the funds. This isn't chump change!

by Anonymousreply 224October 7, 2018 12:49 AM

I think Trump is the worst id of the American psyche. Sexist, racist and corrupt. He also is a con man, who is now a puppet for both Russia and McConnell. This is a tremendous victory for conservative Republicans who have wanted for years to impose their old religious views on all Americans. And Drunk and Partisan Brett will protect Trump. It may never get better in our lifetime unless people get off their fat asses and vote for change.

PS, a great economy will only last so long with an increasing deficit. It drives me crazy that the news does not explain this.

by Anonymousreply 225October 7, 2018 12:55 AM

Maine Speaker of the House, Sara Gideon, is likely to run against Collins.

I can't imagine Maine residents voting for that trembling old crone over young, beautiful Sara, can you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226October 7, 2018 12:55 AM

This is our country. This is our government. This is our world. The rest of you just live in it. Ta.

by Anonymousreply 227October 7, 2018 12:56 AM

R227- Ta yourself. In about 20 years, the non-Hispanic white population of the US will become the minority.

Everything Grassley and McConnell are doing now won't change that.

by Anonymousreply 228October 7, 2018 1:04 AM

R228 That of course is the only shining light at the end of the tunnel but how long do you expect we must wait for them (as well as their indoctrinated spawn) to die off? I pray they all die in their sleep soon...i.e. Grassley, Hatch, Collins, Flake, Graham, McConnell, Manchin too...

by Anonymousreply 229October 7, 2018 1:12 AM

[quote]In about 20 years, the non-Hispanic white population of the US will become the minority.

Although the old white men seem to be setting up a system that will allow them to maintain power and control after they are no longer the majority. It would not be the first time a minority in power suppressed the majority of the general population.

by Anonymousreply 230October 7, 2018 1:19 AM

How true unfortunately R230. I'm not waiting or banking on being overly-positive. I have already begun to look at properties in Canada. I'm glad I didn't become a US citizen. This government is a sham.

by Anonymousreply 231October 7, 2018 1:25 AM

Straight men will never stand behind #MetooMovement. There are just too many of them that view it as an attack on their sexual freedom. If men starting fear that anytime they toe the line on consent with their partner they could actually face reprucussions is terrifying to them. Goto any highly populated male site and bring up a rape of a woman you will get dozens of comments of men saying how their “sister’s brother’ girlfriend’s cousin had his life ruined by a false rape allegation”

by Anonymousreply 232October 7, 2018 1:28 AM

Fuck straight men.

by Anonymousreply 233October 7, 2018 1:36 AM

The minority that becomes the majority will never be the majority unless they shed their minority persona and wield their majority power - at the polls.

by Anonymousreply 234October 7, 2018 1:40 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235October 7, 2018 1:42 AM

I have distant cousin (whom I have never met) in Alabama who I am friends with on Facebook. He made a post congratulating Kavanaugh today and they are literally crowing over this. Many of his comments are saying this is an act of God and Trump is God’s messenger. And virtually all of the comments are from “Christian” women.

My conclusion. Women really do want old white men up their vagina. Let this rest on them. F*ck it.

THEY WANT THIS..

by Anonymousreply 236October 7, 2018 1:44 AM

Only in America!

You hoes and your obsession with abortion and church are more similar to African nations than you are to civilised countries like Canada and the UK.

by Anonymousreply 237October 7, 2018 1:44 AM

R236, no, "women" don't. Racist white women who are more concerned about their skin color than their ladyparts do.

by Anonymousreply 238October 7, 2018 1:46 AM

Well, apparently there aren’t enough non-racial women to make a real difference.

by Anonymousreply 239October 7, 2018 1:53 AM

R236, there were mostly young women protesting in front of the Supreme Court today. That is our future. The middle age "Christian" women are the past.

by Anonymousreply 240October 7, 2018 1:54 AM

disgusting

by Anonymousreply 241October 7, 2018 1:54 AM

R165, those privileged people are but a small percentage of the population. They could be overthrown. Who is protecting them ? The masses, who have nothing to gain from their loyalty, but are manipulated with religion.

by Anonymousreply 242October 7, 2018 2:00 AM

I hope so, r236. Young women need to rage about this because no one is going to give them a free pass at this point.

by Anonymousreply 243October 7, 2018 2:02 AM

Vox: That Kavanaugh was the most unpopular, most divisive Supreme Court nominee in a generation didn’t ever factor into it. The base was happy, and Republicans have seen their odds of holding the Senate rise. The conservative intelligentsia was happy, finally nearing the completion of their decades-long quest to make and keep the high court conservative. They were the ones who mattered.

by Anonymousreply 244October 7, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote]Fuck straight men.

—Anonymous

Ok as long as we also:

Fuck the stupid bitch who designed the fucked up butterfly ballot in Palm Beach that caused all the old Jews to vote for Buchanan

Fuck the Jeb's SOS cunt Katherine Harris who shut down the recount

Fuck Sandra Day OConnor for handing the presidency to W and starting this descent into neofascism

Fuck Susan Sarandon and "no difference" bullshit

Fuck Jill Stein the Russian Traitor

Fuck Susan Collins and the other 4 Rethug women senators who voted to confirm the lying drunk assaulter.

Fuck the 52% of white women who voted for the orange shitstain

Is that enough fucking for you?

by Anonymousreply 245October 7, 2018 2:14 AM

Fuck Andrew Sullivan who dismissed Kavanaugh’s sexual assault because he was a teenager on Bill Maher last.

by Anonymousreply 246October 7, 2018 2:23 AM

[quote]Ta yourself. In about 20 years, the non-Hispanic white population of the US will become the minority.

Everything Grassley and McConnell are doing now won't change that.

If the Hispanics in TX would vote for Dems instead of sitting on their asses or voting for the fucking evangelical Rethugs, we wouldn't have orangeshitstain as president and would have two D senators from TX.

The Latinos in Cal. knew the rethughs were out to screw them and acted accordingly, not so in TX

by Anonymousreply 247October 7, 2018 2:25 AM

I have no problem with any of that, R245. Half of straight white women are utterly deplorable too.

But the topic at hand is really rape culture, and that's mostly men (though obviously it takes some white women to help perpetuate it... quisling traitors to their own sex, their own selves).

by Anonymousreply 248October 7, 2018 2:27 AM

don't disagree, but there were enough women in the senate to have stopped it, and they did not.

most men are not rapists and resent being associated with rape culture, whatever that is, we have mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, and lovers. you're not helping your cause by demeaning all men, you're hurting it.

by Anonymousreply 249October 7, 2018 2:31 AM

[quote] take hid

?????????

by Anonymousreply 250October 7, 2018 2:31 AM

I actually think it has very little to do with the me too movement and more with Republicans a aggressively amassing power after Obama. The vote was along political lines. It was most galling that people believed her but refused to think poor Brett could ever have done such a horrible thing. They really did not evaluate whether he lied under oath or had a proper judicial temperament. They just wanted him on the court as soon as possible to consolidate power and rule as a minority. The US is a fucked up, morally bankrupt country. Trump didn’t even win the popular vote.

by Anonymousreply 251October 7, 2018 2:39 AM

The cat is simply out of the bag. Our country was founded by Christians, and we are still hundreds of years later, hobbled by antiquated Christian ethics and morality.

Not even the authentic message of Jesus, mind you--which was very accepting and tolerant and loving. The Christianity we are dealing with is a prudish, warped, man-made, judgemental, double-standard-ey kind of Christianity that later, is totally bogus, and has been used as a weapon to subdue and control the masses for centuries. And that's what we are still grappling with in the silly, arrogant, pompous U S of A. In 2018.

by Anonymousreply 252October 7, 2018 2:40 AM

true, a sheer power grab to stack the court with corporate lackeys, the women were collateral damage. there was never a chance that his confirmation was imperiled he had ever done or all the lies he told. nothing matters to the rethughs but party, power, and "winning".

we only get our country back if they are driven from power

by Anonymousreply 253October 7, 2018 2:46 AM

Susan Collins will be known as a major divider which is ironic since her stupid and hollow speech was about how divided the country is. She is an Unvle Tom to Senior Plantation Manager Mitch MCconnell, who would run a slave business if allowed.

by Anonymousreply 254October 7, 2018 2:48 AM

This is old, but still encouraging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 7, 2018 2:50 AM

And then this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256October 7, 2018 2:54 AM

Whoa, you guys are MAD as wasps ain't ya?

by Anonymousreply 257October 7, 2018 2:55 AM

What’s it to you r257?

by Anonymousreply 258October 7, 2018 2:58 AM

crowdpac.com has raised $3.3m to fund Collins' Dem opponent in 2020, over $1.3m since her Kav tongue bath yesterday

by Anonymousreply 259October 7, 2018 3:02 AM

they are not christians, when they pray its not to christ.

by Anonymousreply 260October 7, 2018 3:03 AM

Thanks for everything, Christofascists.

by Anonymousreply 261October 7, 2018 3:08 AM

Well, come on, no one but the mentally ill actually believes in the supernatural. People call themselves 'christians' or 'muslims' etc. as a tribal identification not because they actually believe in magic and an omniscient creator.

by Anonymousreply 262October 7, 2018 3:09 AM

Jebus, take the wheel from the disbeliever at R262...

by Anonymousreply 263October 7, 2018 3:11 AM

you'd be surprised and some of the crazy shit these folks believe.

if you can believe trump was sent from god to maga, nothing is too preposterous

by Anonymousreply 264October 7, 2018 3:12 AM

While I'm livid with Collins, I think it's absolutely stupid to spend money on her race two years away when that money could go to the Senate races happening now.

Also, unlike the other GOP senators, Collin occasionally votes sanely - so why put so much effort into her ouster and not someone more egregious?

by Anonymousreply 265October 7, 2018 3:17 AM

lol, surely you jest, after that mansplaining performance yesterday, there is none more vile.

also, what part of "if the repugs win, we lose" do you not understand?

by Anonymousreply 266October 7, 2018 3:20 AM

There's always impeachment for fratweed kavanaugh if we take the reins.

by Anonymousreply 267October 7, 2018 3:22 AM

people should shove that talk, there is no way 67 senators will vote to remove him. there should be investigations if we win the house and maybe something would be discovered that would warrant impeachment, but their want be 67 Dems senators and after this week can anyone name any Rethug who would remove this slime regardless of how much perjury he committed or how many women he assaulted?

by Anonymousreply 268October 7, 2018 3:26 AM

Starting a go fund me account to pay for a case of beer a day for the not so lovely Judge K.

by Anonymousreply 269October 7, 2018 3:26 AM

I've paid attention to US politics for decades, R266, and I can think of plenty more vile serving right now than Susan Collins. What about the two Senatrices sitting just behind Collins, Caputo and Hyde-Smith - why do they get a pass when they've never once voted sanely?

What about La Senetrice herself, who riled up the Deplorables with her, "Well, Ah have nevah, .."

After that OTT performance, Lindsey Graham needs a swift kick in the cuntbone. He needs to be tarred and feathered outside of the Senate building. Although that would probably turn him on.

We need to focus on the vile but vulnerable right now in the November midterms. Susan Collins was a fucking bitch, who led us all on, but she's not the worst.

by Anonymousreply 270October 7, 2018 3:27 AM

So with BK being confirmed to the supreme court. That basically says womens pussies aren't safe in America. And that the US federal government doesn't give a shit about women at all.

I'm definitely voting come November.

by Anonymousreply 271October 7, 2018 3:27 AM

SuperPacs are legal now. If you want to abolish SuperPacs, then you have to do it in the Us Supreme Court and across all donors. Good Luck with that because is was the Republican and the billionaire donors to the Republican Party who want this. We are fighting them on their own turf now.

VOTE ALL REPUBLICANS OUT OF OFFICE.

by Anonymousreply 272October 7, 2018 3:28 AM

[quote]the US federal government doesn't give a shit about women at all.

basically, under trump and the reghugs, yes

however, crimes against women are state and local offenses, and should be prosecuted at those levels,.

state governments, especially in red states care a great deal about women, especially if they have the temerity to want health care, contraceptives or abortions, they care very much that she cannot have them

by Anonymousreply 273October 7, 2018 3:33 AM

[quote]How soon before we can add three more seats to the Supreme Court?

Can people stop with this fucking fantasy? I mean, really, how do you see this playing out? The Dems are in charge and expand the Court by three. Then, the Repugs get back in charge and add five. Then the Dems are back again and add seven. I mean, are you just expecting an exponential growth in the number of justices for the rest of time? Will the Supreme Court one day have 6000 seats? What's the matter with you? Concentrate on reality instead of bullshit. I bet it's Bernbros living in their fantasy world of magical policies and no plans who thought this shit up, too.

by Anonymousreply 274October 7, 2018 3:45 AM

Collins support in Maine will plummet when Kavanaugh is the deciding vote to end legal abortions. That's when the shit will really hit the fan. She might as well retire when that happens.

by Anonymousreply 275October 7, 2018 3:49 AM

People are pissed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276October 7, 2018 3:53 AM

Republicans in Maine actually like the EPA. They love clean lakes there. Gutting the EPA is what Kavanugh will do, and this will piss off everyone in Maine.

by Anonymousreply 277October 7, 2018 3:53 AM

Stephen King has vowed to take down Susan Collins. Stephen King is more liked and popular in the state.

by Anonymousreply 278October 7, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote] I bet it's Bernbros living in their fantasy world of magical policies and no plans who thought this shit up, too.

Nah. Datalounge has been divorced from reality LONG before anyone ever heard of Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 279October 7, 2018 3:59 AM

R174 = typical dumb American deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 280October 7, 2018 4:02 AM

R174 = typical dumb American deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 281October 7, 2018 4:03 AM

We're on our way to the camps

by Anonymousreply 282October 7, 2018 4:07 AM

more likely one of vlad's boys

no deplorable could spell smegma (or know what it was), and the "bon chance" frenchiness would be a dead giveaway in dumbfukistan

by Anonymousreply 283October 7, 2018 4:07 AM

Susan collins had to have a police vehicle escort out of the capital building.

I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 284October 7, 2018 4:14 AM

R284 that's probably going to be the new norm. I wouldn't be surprised if SS protections had to be extended to Repugs in Congress

by Anonymousreply 285October 7, 2018 4:18 AM

We are pissed at Susan Collins *specifically* because she claims to be a "moderate" and ends up being one of the deciding v otes. So she's courted and interviewed and cajoled and discussed when all along she's a fraud who votes with T rump most of the time. She couldve blocked DeVos' nomination in committee but she voted to let her through and then symbolically voted no on the floor when it was clear that DeVos had enough votes to pas s.

Her moderate reputation is now in the gutter. I think she'll retire. She put out feelers about running for governor this year but she was getting so much press earlier this year re Obamacare that her ego got the better of h er.

She used to get a lot of otherwise liberal votes because she said she'd protect Roe vs Wade. Nobody believes that she will be effective now. She's been played for a fool by McConnel l.

Chellie Pingree, currently a Dem representative in the House (The other is a rethug who retired to Maine with his Wall St money and is afraid to say boo). Another possibility is Susan Rice who has summered in Maine all her life.

The PAC website to fund a Dem opponent crashed today, so many people were pledging.

Collins deserves every bit of vitriol that is thrown at her. (And I read somewhere that her poll numbers have dropped drastically).

by Anonymousreply 286October 7, 2018 4:21 AM

Seriously. None of these Senators who voted 'yes' to confirm a corrupt perjurer felon and attempted rapist Kavanaugh should ever have a moment's peace when in public again. They should be hounded non-stop. They should NEVER be able to eat in peace in a restaurant, or so anything else in public, without constant shouts of "SHAME!" directed at them.

by Anonymousreply 287October 7, 2018 4:24 AM

Kav must be careful with his opinions to shake the stench he has now...like 20 years worth of solid opinions. Actually somewhat of a plus for such a fucked up confirmation. Amy Barrett wouldn’t have a yes vote from Collins ...Murkowski comes from a more conservative state and did the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 288October 7, 2018 4:28 AM

oh for fucks sake, spare us any more of the moderate collins bullshit, she folds like a cheap lawn chair every time mitch snaps his fingers.

yesterday is her legacy and a sorry one it is. she will never be redeemed after that disgusting tongue bath

by Anonymousreply 289October 7, 2018 4:35 AM

The money will disappear like Jill Stein’s recount money. Suckers.

by Anonymousreply 290October 7, 2018 4:47 AM

I'm not claiming that Collins is anyone to admire, I'm saying that her re-election battle is two years away, while right now, much more venal GOP Senators/ candidates are up this November, so Democrats' money should go to their opponents, not to an election two years away.

And really, Collins is a corrupt stunt queen, but at least she occasionally has a conscience - whereas almost no other GOP Senator has anything close.

It's time to be strategic, rather than letting passion overtake logic and give the money to the Democratic candidates who need it for midterms 2018.

by Anonymousreply 291October 7, 2018 4:47 AM

the funding was started long before the vote. it was designed by people in maine as incentive to get her to "do the right thing" (justifiably wary that her "conscience" would be sufficient reason) It was clearly stated that if she voted "no" on Kav the pledges would be returned to the donors. If she voted yes, they would be set aside for her Dem opponent in 2020. Collins threw a hissy fit and threatened to charge them with bribery, which is total bullshit because they weren't offering her anything.

By the time she gave her speech yesterday, $2m had been pledged, currently it's approaching $3.5m.

I see know evidence of a conscience whatsoever, just Mitch's and Fox's talking points. The fallacy that there are any "moderates" left in the opposition needs to be put to rest and cashiering Our Lady of Perpetual Concern is one way of doing it.

Fortunately I can also give to Heidi, Claire, Joe, and Beto. If we don't get the Senate this year, we need to get ME CO and a coupla others in 2020, that is also thinking strategic

by Anonymousreply 292October 7, 2018 5:03 AM

[quote] Please stop aiming for the lowest common denominator. Bernie, Sarandon, 3rd Party or whoever else you want to blame is not the reason why today happened. Today happened because: (1)Democrats stopped fighting for the middle America, blue collar guy to chase after technocrats, Wall Street and all their money twenty years ago. (2)Millions of Americans didn't bother to show up to the 2016 election.

This.

I also think 2) follows from 1). The Democrats are just not inspiring because they stopped standing up for something, for the little guy.

by Anonymousreply 293October 7, 2018 5:07 AM

You mean white people, r293. Enough. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 294October 7, 2018 5:11 AM

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas tweeted a gloat about Kavanaugh, accompanied by a photo of a glass of champagne.

Almost all the responses are negative:

[quote]“Not quite #Beers4Brett but #Bubbly4Brett instead”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295October 7, 2018 5:14 AM

Scott, the black Retuhg, and MIss Linds BFF from down home toed the line and voted to confirm

by Anonymousreply 296October 7, 2018 5:14 AM

[quote]“Not quite #Beers4Brett but #Bubbly4Brett instead”

OMG! unfucking believable tone deaf.

"When they go low....they go lowered next time"

by Anonymousreply 297October 7, 2018 5:23 AM

R295 John is an old repressed cocksucker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298October 7, 2018 5:58 AM

It's unanimous. Not a single bot either.

by Anonymousreply 299October 7, 2018 6:07 AM

Can Collins be recalled before her term is up? Governor’s can.

by Anonymousreply 300October 7, 2018 6:07 AM

This is a step in the right direction---

"The @FresnoBee endorsed @DevinNunes' opponent."

by Anonymousreply 301October 7, 2018 6:09 AM

there are no recall for federal positions, only state and local

by Anonymousreply 302October 7, 2018 6:12 AM

I’m so fucking sick of “oh poor blue collar workers Democrats don’t care about them”. Wake the fuck up these are the Deplorables!!! They weren’t motivated to vote 08 and 12 watched a black man get elected. And now all the turds have risen to the top. These people should be ignored they continue to vote against their own interests in both state and national elections. These people are religious nuts that are ruled by their hatred of all things that aren’t straight, white, Christian, and American. Trump said he would bring back coal boom good enough let’s vote for the asshole.

Stop catering to these people if they lack basic human decency and common sense when voting fuck em!!

by Anonymousreply 303October 7, 2018 6:14 AM

Are people that fucking fragile that they need a politician to literally come to their town and kiss their ass in order to motivate them to not vote for Facist. I don’t care if they Dems ran Boo Boo the Clown I still would have pulled the Democrat lever anything to this spread of the Orange Menace.

by Anonymousreply 304October 7, 2018 6:16 AM

R72, keep banning everyone you disagree with like the nazi that you are Muriel. It only takes a free VPN addon to post here anyway. You won't stop people from voicing their opinion. Fuck you fascist queen.

by Anonymousreply 305October 7, 2018 6:33 AM

I don't think anyone was banned, r305. I do think it was odd. I'm not sure if it was the WM.

by Anonymousreply 306October 7, 2018 6:38 AM

I live in Texas. John Cornyn blocked me on twitter.

My crime? YEARS ago, when Obama proposed his "American Jobs Act", I tweeted to my Senator to support it. It was a simple tweet, that asked him to please support and vote for the American Jobs Act. It was 2009 and we need to dig our way out of Bush's economic collapse and recession.

Within minutes, I was blocked.

I'm still blocked to this day.

by Anonymousreply 307October 7, 2018 6:43 AM

One of the things that the Democrats need to do once they are on power again is pass legislation that requires that the Twitter accounts of all sitting federal officials are considered official correspondence where they cannot delete entries nor block people. It may seem like a little thing but it would accomplish both having everything these assholes tweet stay on record and have them have to face the reactions of everyone, not just their cult-like followers, and have those reactions be able to be seen by everyone, including their cult-like followers. It would be one step in popping the deplorable bubble of ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 308October 7, 2018 6:54 AM

Yes. All political Twitter accounts should be open.

by Anonymousreply 309October 7, 2018 7:05 AM

Appalling and frightening.

by Anonymousreply 310October 7, 2018 8:19 AM

I would be scared for Kavanaugh’s older daughter after all this. One drunken night, he might just head down the hallway and “turn up the music” so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 311October 7, 2018 10:13 AM

R293, I agree. Plus, somewhere along the way we lost our macho. By that I mean (and FTR I am a die-hard Democratic Frau in PA) the two Parties switched perceptions:

Democrats went from tough, union, and patriotic (JFK, RFK, Mayor Daley, LBJ, etc.) to soft, Wall Street, and globalist (McGovern, Carter, Clinton plural, Obama).

Republicans went from prissy, corporate, and isolationist to macho, regular guy, and flag-waving.

Democrats must not nominate a woman for President in 2020, regardless of whatever color "wave" flows in next month, regardless of the seeming tenor of the times, regardless of the Kavanaugh debacle.

Joe Biden might be old, but he can take it to Trump better than Kamala Harris or Susan Warren can, on the same turf, with the same aggressiveness. But with sincerity, veracity, and humanity.

Democrats on the national scene must learn anew what they had with Obama and not with HRC: a compelling person.

It really never is about "It's the economy, Stupid."

by Anonymousreply 312October 7, 2018 11:42 AM

R228, And in 20 years they'll be deceased.

I might be, too, but I still relish the above thought.

by Anonymousreply 313October 7, 2018 11:44 AM

they would rather see the white house burned to the ground and the usa's total collapse than to see another black man elected as president.

by Anonymousreply 314October 7, 2018 1:01 PM

What a fucking loser

by Anonymousreply 315October 7, 2018 1:03 PM

At least now I can have openly no respect for "authority". What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 316October 7, 2018 1:04 PM

If LBJ was the Democratic leader, Manchin would never have voted for Kavanaugh. LBJ knew how to keep the troops in line.

by Anonymousreply 317October 7, 2018 1:11 PM

Who's the woman behind Kavanaugh in OP's pic, with the "I don't believe it either" expression?

by Anonymousreply 318October 7, 2018 1:20 PM

Disgusted at cowardice and evil is more like it, R257.

by Anonymousreply 319October 7, 2018 1:25 PM

Maybe because, r277, the EPA was Nixon's.

by Anonymousreply 320October 7, 2018 1:44 PM

R204, you are simply confirming r201's point. In which kind of democracy do voters have to stand in line for 3 hours to vote? Why is someone who lost the presidential election president?

In this particularly case, why on earth do politicians choose supreme court judges and they are not independently appointed? Why are judges on the supreme court for life?

by Anonymousreply 321October 7, 2018 1:52 PM

They will now segue to the election strategy of "OMG they'll impeach Kavanaugh. They are a mob unfit to govern!!" They have to keep the momentum going for the MAGAs. The only way we can overcome the suppression, the fraud, the chicanery and manipulation is to turn off the noise machines and vote Democrat for every race. Please make sure you vote for state legislators who are Democrats. Please. They make a lot of the policies that are strangling us at the state level. And check out who is running for judges, especially state supreme court judges, and state appeals court judges. We have to overwhelm them. No matter what they try to do with the elections we can win if the turn out is high. We can do this.

by Anonymousreply 322October 7, 2018 2:01 PM

R321, As to your final question:

Presumably to eliminate the fear of being fired for not voting with the Executive.

by Anonymousreply 323October 7, 2018 2:01 PM

R323, that's the point of an independent judiciary - that it isn't selected by the executive! Having politicians handpick the judges only happens in dictatorships, and even then there's some pretence at independence. The US is the only so-called democracy where the president picks the judges and they are ratified by politicians.

by Anonymousreply 324October 7, 2018 2:14 PM

It was also believed that lifetime appointments meant stability for the country.

by Anonymousreply 325October 7, 2018 2:38 PM

I would hate to have a hypocrite for a father, brother, son, or husband.

by Anonymousreply 326October 7, 2018 2:38 PM

R325 here. I will amplify my answer a bit to point out that the lawmakers were, as we know, elected officials. Specifically the House of Representatives which jointly passed laws with the Senate. (Our Framers gave a lot of power to the House. ) Since laws are a function of public policy were passed by elected officials, they were subject to whatever was a "hot" issue of the times. Lawmakers would introduce legislation for anything the folks back home were upset about. A lot of bad law was made in this way. So the function of the courts was, once those laws were tested or challenged, to be the voice of reason. Non partisan, unemotional interpreters of The Law. As we sit here numb and shell shocked, let's remember. One Supreme Court decision upheld Slavery. A future court decision struck it down. So if nothing is "settled law" as Kavanaugh obviously believes altho he won't admit it, then nothing he does is irreversible. We can get better justices and overrule, reverse anything this court does, if necessary. One thing to know is pay attention to the dissenting opinions. Very often those dissents are the basis for future reversals.

by Anonymousreply 327October 7, 2018 2:46 PM

Do Supreme Court justices get Secret Service protection?

by Anonymousreply 328October 7, 2018 2:53 PM

R305: I am honored to have the title of Muriel. But I am not she, DEAR. I am the terror that flaps in the night, the political scientist who spanks the trolls, the admirer of asses, and apparently, the trigger switch of your right wing snowflake tears! I prefer the term ban to block as it is more final, more authoritative. And yes, DEAR, you are banned now too. For I do not ban that which I disagree with, I ban lunatics, bigots, conspiracy theorists, and trolls, both foreign and domestic. For I am Mary Maximus, hear me bitch, and I will tolerate this shit no more!

by Anonymousreply 329October 7, 2018 2:55 PM

R328 Currently, the Supreme Court Police are responsible for protecting the Chief Justice, Associate Justices, building occupants, and the Court's historic building and grounds. Additional responsibilities include courtroom security, dignitary protection, emergency response, and providing assistance to building visitors.

Members of the federal judiciary, including Justices of the Supreme Court, are protected, when necessary, by the United States Marshals Service. The protection of the Justices is within the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court Police, supervised by the Marshal of the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 330October 7, 2018 2:59 PM

As a lifelong Democrat, Thank you, Ms. Fienstien for putting the final nail in the Democratic Coffin. Your sense of "bombshell timing" was impeccable. You might just as well have been waving a " Trump 2020" banner.

by Anonymousreply 331October 7, 2018 2:59 PM

Fienstien should have probably convinced Ford to go public sooner, but I doubt it would have made much difference. Susan Collins, Flake, etc. would have just done a few more contortions to be able to rationalize voting to confirm him.

by Anonymousreply 332October 7, 2018 3:03 PM

R331: As a lifelong Troll, Imma claim Ms. Fienstien put the final nail in the Democratic Coffin, with no evidence of course. Her sense of "bombshell timing" never happened. Blah blah blah " Trump 2020" banner blah blah 2 dollar post blah blah hate the gays but want them to cum in my mouth blah

by Anonymousreply 333October 7, 2018 3:07 PM

This is not about Kavanaugh but the notion that one can have their reputation ruined by word of mouth, innocent until arrested. Forget what a POS this man is, allegations aside. Do you realize how dangerous this "trial by accusation and social media" is? Eldergays -, many would consider a lot of your conduct 30 years ago sexual assault. Even now, in a bar, I could decide that an older man is coming on to me too strongly for my comfort, or he puts his hand on my thigh, or starts rubbing my shoulders and I could simply say that I was assaulted. If I were significantly younger and attractive, who do you think people would believe? Even if I was just making it up. A person's life could be ruined by mere scorn. Now, I am not saying that is the case w/ Dr. Ford. But it is a slippery slope that we have been going down since the #metoo movement, many of which random allegations were proven false.

by Anonymousreply 334October 7, 2018 3:45 PM

R334 Perhaps Kavanaughty should have been thinking about his reputation when he put his hand over Dr. Ford's mouth and stopped her from breathing properly. Or perhaps he should have been thinking about his reputation when he disrespected congressman and women asking them if they ever drank too much, what they liked to drink, and if they ever blacked out. Perhaps he should have thought about his reputation all the other many times he sat there and lied about so many other things. These sexual allegations are not the first time people have made the case that he is a LIAR. There are so many corroborating witnesses to some of the other offenses barely touched on. Insee the logic behind your very valid point, but I am not buying it in his case. He also lacks the temperament for SCOTUS seat.

by Anonymousreply 335October 7, 2018 4:01 PM

R334: Fuck off. Seriously. Just fuck off. Everything you typed has been debunked repeatedly. You're concern trolling. We an all see it. No one is impressed. Again, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 336October 7, 2018 4:01 PM

R334 = Lindsey Graham.

In other words, ignore the troll.

by Anonymousreply 337October 7, 2018 4:06 PM

People were jealous of Chet Baker as a trumpeter. They said he got to the top of the polls his first year in the public eye. Best trumpeter best vocalist you name it. Black musicians railed against him and his white boy apple pie privilege.

The truth is that Chet Baker was going to be placed in his slot in Jazz music and he didn't have to be better than Miles or the others. He just had to be good enough. And then he was declared the best.

by Anonymousreply 338October 7, 2018 4:07 PM

R334 I must add I believe judges must be sober and impartial. This man is certainly neither. That is as much to do with his own undoing , and sullying his own reputation as his perverted antics IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 339October 7, 2018 4:11 PM

R338:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340October 7, 2018 4:11 PM

r72/ r329 / r333 / r336 ,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341October 7, 2018 4:26 PM

^^^^^ and r340

by Anonymousreply 342October 7, 2018 4:29 PM

Anyone who is a lifelong Democrat should fucking know how to spell FEINSTEIN! Especially when you’re trying to make the point of being a lifelong Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 343October 7, 2018 5:43 PM

R252 20, 25 years ago we knew this was true of America - it has not changed. It is the exact same shit.

When I was at uni we had one class with a young assistant from the US. Her first class she asked us a word from each of us to define the USA. I said puritan. She didn't look pleased but whatever. She wrote all our words on the board then in the end said that all we'd said was true, yet we'd missed the point on the one thing that was essential to America, and that would probably have been the first word any American would have said. She wrote freedom. I thought that was a load of bull typical of a puritan, but whatever.

More than 20 years ago, it's still exactly the same.

by Anonymousreply 344October 7, 2018 6:18 PM

R252, The specific sect you want is "Puritanism." The Salem murderers of 1692. The enemy of Roger Williams and religious freedom.

by Anonymousreply 345October 7, 2018 6:26 PM

Like most conservatives, he is total filth...how many girlfriends does he have and how many have needed abortiins?

by Anonymousreply 346October 7, 2018 6:27 PM

I just found this out and it pisses me off. So many complaints against Kavanaugh for ethics violations have been reported to the DC Circuit, which would be handed to Merrick Garland because he is *ahem* the Chief Justice.

Because Merrick did not want the remote possibility of a conflict of interest, of himself being influenced by possible resentment for how he was treated and letting that effect his judgement, he has recused himself from the Kavanaugh reports.

Of course the judge with the known impeccable integrity and goodness gets screwed and this schmuck gets on the court.

by Anonymousreply 347October 7, 2018 6:52 PM

R6 you are living in a dream world and not reality if you actually believe that President Donald Trump will ever be prosecuted.

George W. Bush and Cheney were an infinite number of times worse, and did actual war crimes yet Obama gave them a pass and supported renewing the patriot act.

by Anonymousreply 348October 7, 2018 6:54 PM

[quote]Anyone who is a lifelong Democrat should fucking know how to spell FEINSTEIN! Especially when you’re trying to make the point of being a lifelong Democrat.

sorry, it looks different in cyrillic

by Anonymousreply 349October 7, 2018 6:58 PM

anyone who is "i'm a lifelong democrat, but..." or " I loathe Trump, but...." is a troll

It's from Page One, Lesson One at the Vladivostok Remedial School For Trolling

by Anonymousreply 350October 7, 2018 6:59 PM

I'm a lifelong Democrat, but I believe the problem is Secret Lesbians lurking in our drinking water. Why has Hillary not done anything to stop this threat?!

by Anonymousreply 351October 7, 2018 8:43 PM

As if Hillary ever puts her money where he mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 352October 7, 2018 8:53 PM

STFU Susan Collins!!! She put herself in Brett’s shoes? Why? Because he is a privileged white Republican male? I really can’t stand her. Perpetuating a myth that “someone else” assaulted Dr. Ford is unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 353October 7, 2018 8:56 PM

Tom Nichols- who just announced he's quit the Republican party- had this to say about Collins:

"It took almost half an hour before Collins got to the accusations against Kavanaugh, but the rest of what she said was irrelevant. She had clearly made up her mind weeks earlier, and she completely ignored Kavanaugh’s volcanic and bizarre performance in front of the Senate."

That's exactly what came through in her speech ---- you don't make a speech like that if you were undecided until the last minute. She had her mind made up weeks ago and then just strung everyone along.

by Anonymousreply 354October 7, 2018 9:01 PM

Right, and she had lunch with McConnell that day. She relied on assurances from other Republicans like W and Condi Rice. The whole thing was a sham. Every sensible person got fucked. I do hope more dirt spills out on Kavanaugh to show how they rushed him on for partisan reasons just like Clarence Thomas. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 355October 7, 2018 9:06 PM

Tom Nichols also criticized the Democratic Party for being "torn between totalitarian instincts on one side and complete political malpractice on the other" and said that the party's behavior during the Kavanaugh hearings, with the exception of Senators Chris Coons, Sheldon Whitehouse and Amy Klobuchar was execrable

by Anonymousreply 356October 7, 2018 9:15 PM

The worst part of all of this is that on e Republicans were confronted with a credible witness and figured that they could not deny her accusations, they just claimed that someone else did it and Professor Ford, while credible, is confused.

That’s so insulting in so many different ways. Professor Ford knew Kavanaugh and Judge socially before the incident and she knew what they looked like. I’m sure if someone tried to rape Susan Collins? she would remember that person’s face.

And I can’t believe that nobody is calling Republicans out on their deplorable behavior and victim shaming. This should be in the news 24/7 like “her emails”.

by Anonymousreply 357October 7, 2018 9:22 PM

r357, I don't think Feinstein helped with her confused question wondering how Ford could know who was on top of her if she didn't know which of the boys pushed her into the room. Feinstein seemed to not understand that Ford was pushed from behind into the room but on her back facing her attacker while she was being assaulted.

by Anonymousreply 358October 7, 2018 9:39 PM

I think Patrick Leahy and Dick Durbin did a good job too. I have a soft spot for Whitehouse and Klobuchar. She's very popular in Minnesota. In general I have no complaints about the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee. They all are leagues smarter than the Republicans. They just need to be dirtier. Diane Feinstein knows how to fight. No one better criticize her to me anymore. I love her.

I don't expect Trump to go to jail. I do hope he will resign, but realistically, I want the Dems to take over the House and hopefully the Senate so we can just block his ass at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 359October 7, 2018 9:43 PM

Collins is full of hot air and taking to the airwaves to try and cover her ass. Despite her “concerns,” she towed the party line AND served as the female voice of Republicans. She seems like an old dolt who was clearly smitten with the disgusting Brett.

by Anonymousreply 360October 7, 2018 9:47 PM

Look at the guy’s yearbook - that totally matches the drunk tool described by Dr. Ford.

by Anonymousreply 361October 7, 2018 9:49 PM

Here's an example of what I mean when I say the Dems don't think strategically. It was Durbin who introduced the idea of re opening the investigation. His words were carried forward by other Dems on the Committee. Things looked bad. Then Coons spoke to Flake. Clearly Coons is an honorable man. Flake was not. I wrote then and I still believe Flake was way more cunning then I ever gave him credit for being. He accepted the notion of let's pause, wait a week, do a supplemental investigation of current charges. McConnell did not have the votes at that time. If McConnell had been forced to call for the vote in the 48 hours he originally planned, it's a real possibility Kavanaugh would have lost. But Flake bught time. He allayed concerns he allowed things to cool off. The delay worked in their favor. McGahn limited the scope of the FBI including the witnesses who could be interviewed. McGahn decided not to interview Fors or Kavanaugh about the specific charges. After Flake went to the GOP leadership with his proposal, McConnell and McGahn worked out the parameters. Trump, who was getting cold feet, was persuaded by McGahn that this was the right way to go. Because Trump actually was saying go ahead and open up the investigation.... For a minute. By the time the Dems realized they'd been fucked by the limited scope of the investigation, they'd already lost their momentum. The Republicans, the White House were firmly in charge. They seized the the idea of re opening the investigation and fucked us. Because we never outlined the scope and we were never specific. We always assume things. We seem to never realize they will fuck us until after they do it.

by Anonymousreply 362October 7, 2018 9:53 PM

Susan Collins is a

CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT

by Anonymousreply 363October 7, 2018 9:54 PM

[quote] realistically, I want the Dems to take over the House and hopefully the Senate

Well, then you'd better reveal your big plan for countering all the republican election fraud. Because there's no "realistic" way for the Democrats to win anything while: their voters are being thrown off the rolls, prevented from getting increasingly restricted forms of ID, having their polling places changed at the last minute, having their ballots thrown out, being forced to vote provisionally on ballots that will never be counted; gerrymandering is continuing to so successfully subverting the will of the people and polling places for those who live in urban areas are placed at the edges of their districts off of public transportation routes; Democratic officials are banned and blocked from witnessing and participating in the tallying, there is still no way to audit the vote and Republican owned voting machines are flipping Democratic votes, inventing thousands of non-representational votes for Republicans and failing to record Democratic votes at all; the Russian funded GOP war or truth continues to brainwash the lowest common denominator voters and the courts are stacked with judges who will side for the GOP in any potential fraud case that miraculously even winds up before them.

I hope you have all that figured out. Because all of our elections are shams right now.

by Anonymousreply 364October 7, 2018 9:58 PM

Totally agree R362. The whole thing was spin to do what they always had the votes to do - confirmation of poor little Brett. Did the FBI even question the other man in the room? It’s a con game to say there was no corroborating evidence when you handpick and limit the interviewees. Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 365October 7, 2018 10:01 PM

R364. None of that will stop us if we turn out in overwhelming numbers and we will win. There are more of us than there are of them. Hillary won the popular vote. There is no Electoral college to manipulate this time. And we are and wiser, far more aggressive and more vigilant this time. Do you really think or believe we have just been sitting on our asses hoping the states would do the right thing? No. We have been working and preparing. So fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 366October 7, 2018 10:17 PM

They had to swear in that peace of shit Kavanaugh is secret. If you have to swear in this Justice in secret in a Democracy, then something is wrong with him and the process. For gods sakes, it is the US Supreme Court, not some secret rape society at Yale.

-Register to VOTE.

-Plan to Vote

-Study and Know how you are going to Vote

VOTE ALL REPUBLICANS OUT OF OFFICE!

by Anonymousreply 367October 7, 2018 10:25 PM

R366, please go read about the Repugs removing people from the voting rolls, putting one voting machine in minority districts, putting broken machines in minority districts, delaying voting in minority and democratic leaning districts, giving out provisional ballots that are never counted in democratic districts, and on and on. Those things don't even include the fact that machines were hacked and are still hackable and that those hacks change actually votes.

The Repugs cheat with Russian and corporate help. I'm not sure why anyone believes it's the voting that matters because, as always, it the counting of votes that matters and Repugs are doing the counting. Watch all the polls be strangely wrong again next month when they've been right on in all the special elections. Just fucking watch.

by Anonymousreply 368October 7, 2018 10:31 PM

Exactly, r368. Further, r366, don't start bitching about election integrity *after* they've obviously hacked the vote again and gotten away with it. The time to make people aware of this is NOW. The time to do something about it is NOW. Your braindead blathering about phonebanking octagenarians who probably can't even figure out how to vote on the hacked machines is why they will "win" again. You are focusing on absolutely the wrong thing and ignoring all of the dangers we already know are awaiting us. What you're doing is helping nobody.

by Anonymousreply 369October 8, 2018 12:07 AM

I was not surprised by the confirmation. The fix was in. The Supreme Court is supposed to be unbiased. They are now as corrupt as other parts of the government.

by Anonymousreply 370October 8, 2018 12:10 AM

R369 WTF are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 371October 8, 2018 12:18 AM

Maybe he'll celebrate by getting a haircut that isn't directly from his 1982 yearbook photos.

by Anonymousreply 372October 8, 2018 12:20 AM

I think Chief Roberts is not at all pleased to pick up news papers or go online and read about "the Kavanaugh Court."

by Anonymousreply 373October 8, 2018 12:24 AM

I’m proud of the Democrats on the Judiciary. They fought hard. I suspect the Kavanaugh documents will be leaked bit by bit. He’s not immune from prosecution as a Justice. I hope the Democrats connect the dots in hearings regarding Kennedy’s son and Trump.

by Anonymousreply 374October 8, 2018 12:26 AM

[quote] I suspect the Kavanaugh documents will be leaked bit by bit.

Hopefully. Lock him up.

by Anonymousreply 375October 8, 2018 12:29 AM

The documents will come out. Supposedly, they are still just tied up getting redacted and, probably, conveniently edited.

I can't imagine what will happen when some women's rights case, or some statute of limitations on sexual assault ruling, or the first abortion rights case comes before the Court. I wonder if there is any chance that Roberts moves left or the Kavanaugh tries to cover his ass by not being obviously partisan for at least a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 376October 8, 2018 1:26 AM

The Dems need to grab this anger and fire up young voters and women. They need to steal the House and Senate. We are talking two seats. Kavanaugh will rule for Trump in a matter of days and that is going to slap people in the face.

The Woodward book is an easy read. He needs to keep that series going until Trump the mad man is defeated.

by Anonymousreply 377October 8, 2018 1:30 AM

Think about it. What SHOULD have been a 7-2 Liberal majority on the court is now a 5-4 conservative majority SOLELY DUE TO REPUBLICANS LYING, CHEATING, AND STEALING.

We need to kick these corrupt motherfuckers out of office.

By. Any. Means. Necessary.

by Anonymousreply 378October 8, 2018 1:45 AM

R193, obviously you can't count or read. Mitch pretty much had the votes lined up from Day 1. The White House did its part by limiting the FBI investigation and hiding it. It was a put-up job from Day 1 and to say the public did not complain loudly enough means you didn't see social media or the regular media. Woman after woman came out with her own experience, article after article was written that witnesses who had evidence showing Kavanaugh was lying weren't interviewed by the FBI.

by Anonymousreply 379October 8, 2018 1:46 AM

[quote]Mitch pretty much had the votes lined up from Day 1. The White House did its part by limiting the FBI investigation and hiding it. It was a put-up job from Day 1

All of which was said in my original post. But thanks for the unnecessary verbiage.

[quote]you didn't see social media or the regular media

MARCHES, dear. You know what a march is, don't you? Where were the nationwide marches? Where were the rapid response teams sent to protest at the moment it looked like things were going to go the way they did? Tweets are cute, but this called for something much more substantial. There were protests, but it was not on the magnitude of the airport protests over the Muslim ban or the worldwide Women's Marches. There should have been thousands there yesterday at the Capital, not hundreds.

This is not difficult to understand. But you have to be able to think to get it.

by Anonymousreply 380October 8, 2018 2:01 AM

People have jobs. The Kavanaugh stuff was happening in real time. It doesn’t mean people can’t march now, and I hope they do. But castigating people is not helpful.

by Anonymousreply 381October 8, 2018 2:41 AM

[quote]Tom Nichols also criticized the Democratic Party for being "torn between totalitarian instincts

And with that ridiculous statement, he loses all credibility. Not that he had any in the first place because, Republican. After all.

by Anonymousreply 382October 8, 2018 3:26 AM

A Supreme Court Justice named "Brett." Oy.

by Anonymousreply 383October 8, 2018 3:30 AM

Was there really ever any doubt that Kavanaugh would be nominated and approved ?

by Anonymousreply 384October 8, 2018 3:31 AM

After Ford's testimony there was a shift. KAvanaugh exacerbated it with his unhinged performance. Things were unravelling. McConnell's votes were not there. He was two or three shy where before the Ford testimony it was rumored more Dems would support him. Heitkamp and a couple others were on the fence. It was Ford's testimony coupled with additional allegations by Ramirez that tipped things. It was a temporary window but the Dems let it slip away. This was sort of like watching a football game.

by Anonymousreply 385October 8, 2018 3:38 AM

Dems didn't "let" anything slip away. None of this is the fault of Democrats.

Stop victim-blaming, stop blaming those without power, or majority, or the votes.

100% of the blame for all of this is square in the lap of Republicans.

If you want to blame ANYONE else, you can blame all the assholes who didn't care about the Supreme Court two years ago when it mattered and when their votes could have saved us all... when they failed to vote for Hillary Clinton

by Anonymousreply 386October 8, 2018 3:40 AM

poppycock I say, poppycock

by Anonymousreply 387October 8, 2018 3:41 AM

R386, I wonder if McConnell would have had the temerity to hold two Supreme Court vacancies open if Clinton had been elected? Of course, since Kennedy seems to be compromised by Russian through his son, there probably wouldn't have been two seats. Or, it would have been Ginsburg retiring instead of him.

by Anonymousreply 388October 8, 2018 3:45 AM

Thank you, R386

by Anonymousreply 389October 8, 2018 3:45 AM

And you know what sucks the most, if McConnell had decided to hold two Supreme Court seats open indefinitely, there would have still been nothing the minority Democrats could have done about it. Think about that before some of you idiot spout off about how the Dems are just not trying hard enough or fighting mean enough. The Senate if majority rule in everything. Add a corrupt asshole willing to break the Senate into the mix and you've got an authoritarian takeover of our government.

by Anonymousreply 390October 8, 2018 3:48 AM

He's in and we need to focus on the midterms now.

by Anonymousreply 391October 8, 2018 3:51 AM

I'm not victim blaming at all. I agree that this was a Republican shit show from the beginning. They were in a big rush to get him confirmed because they knew he had problems. They had their list of 65 people who swore he was a good guy ready the moment the allegation of sexual misconduct reared it's head. But I was addressing an example of the way Dems ( and I have been one for my entire life, ) botch strategy, and allow the GOP to out maneuver us. We seem to lack the agility to seize the moment when it's right in front of us. Not all of us, and not all the time. But we definitely need to toughen up because we are fighting by rules that no one else is following. Certainly not our adversaries.

by Anonymousreply 392October 8, 2018 3:51 AM

Those crazy, crazy Democrats actually believe they're taking control of the White House in 2020!

by Anonymousreply 393October 8, 2018 3:52 AM

Funny you should say that Kavanaugh & Trump LLC, since both of you will be investigated by us.

by Anonymousreply 394October 8, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote]But I was addressing an example of the way Dems ( and I have been one for my entire life, ) botch strategy, and allow the GOP to out maneuver us. We seem to lack the agility to seize the moment when it's right in front of us.

It's not outmaneuvering when there is no way to win. The minority party in the Senate is powerless, even moreso now that McConnell has stripped the Senate of all rules.

by Anonymousreply 395October 8, 2018 3:57 AM

Disgusting

by Anonymousreply 396October 8, 2018 4:02 AM

[quote]But I was addressing an example of the way Dems ( and I have been one for my entire life, ) botch strategy, and allow the GOP to out maneuver us. We seem to lack the agility to seize the moment when it's right in front of us.

is the person who wrote this a troll or an idiot? i hope the former, i despair when our side is stupid

by Anonymousreply 397October 8, 2018 4:05 AM

He won't be on that bench for long.

He lied under oath in 2004, 2006 and 2018. Those are crimes. You know - regular crime-crimes that Rethuglicans recognize as actually being criminal. If I remember this correctly, Rethuglicans are pretty much apoplectic on the subject. I'm sure we can find hour after hour after hour of all the big GOPers speechifying about it on the Senate and House floors. To them lying under oath is akin to murdering Mom, Apple Pie, Baseball and Fort Knox all at once. And it is without question, above all else, the most impeachable of impeachable offenses.

He lied about his work with Ken Starr. He lied - a lot - about his work in the Bush2 White House. He lied about his work on torture, extraordinary rendition, receiving stolen emails, and much more. These are the lies for which paper trails and proof exist, that's some of what the Rethuglicans have been hiding. That's why Kavanaugh was never on the original list of Supremes nominees from the Federalist Society. They knew he could never stand up to real scrutiny and they were right. It will all be out in public for everyone to see and probably very soon.

Moving on to the attempted rape and sexual assault allegations, there will be a much more serious and thorough investigation into all of it. The FBI report will be made public. All the relevant witnesses will be thoroughly interviewed, under oath and under subpoena if necessary. Mark Judge, this means you, snowflake.

In order to investigate, charge, try and convict a person of perjury, you don't need 67 votes in the Senate, you don't even need one. Hmm... a Supreme Court Justice investigated, charged, tried and convicted for multiple counts of lying under oath. How long do you figure someone in a mess like that would stay on the bench in Chief Justice John Roberts' world?

Yeah, not too long.

by Anonymousreply 398October 8, 2018 4:18 AM

Collins is a fucking cunt. What is this 1950? She believes Ford, but she "doesn't believe that Kavanaugh was the assailant." Then who the fuck was it? Ford was totally believable. Your drunken lying Kav is the one who wasn't believable. Shove it up your ass Collins. You're just one of the fucking Neanderthal Repig men.

You could have done the right thing. You're not a independent woman standing up to protect women. You're a fucking pig.

Kavanaugh is going to give Trump a pass on presidential powers, and he will overturn Roe vs. Wade. You were played--but you wanted to be played, you piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 399October 8, 2018 4:42 AM

Justice Bart Boof O'Kavanaughty. AKA Mr. Dicksmack. Right. Right and honourable... Makes me want to Ralph.

by Anonymousreply 400October 8, 2018 4:46 AM

[quote]How long do you figure someone in a mess like that would stay on the bench in Chief Justice John Roberts' world?

lol, until he dies

these dems are really funny with their naivety

by Anonymousreply 401October 8, 2018 4:46 AM

[quote] How long do you figure someone in a mess like that would stay on the bench in Chief Justice John Roberts' world?

About as long as RBG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402October 8, 2018 6:30 AM

The Notorious RBG can take a nap anywhere she wants to and she's not going anywhere.

So, tell me again how multiple perjurer Kavanaugh is going to survive investigation, charges, trial and conviction of lying under oath?

by Anonymousreply 403October 8, 2018 6:34 AM

[quote] . . . these dems are really funny with their naivety

Oh dear. Justice Roberts is illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 404October 8, 2018 11:59 AM

He's going to have to get boofed R403. Maybe blow some blokes too.

by Anonymousreply 405October 8, 2018 1:42 PM

R403. What the eff are you still discussing. It is a done deal move on.

by Anonymousreply 406October 8, 2018 2:34 PM

Liberals are truly delusional. Trump needs to create another crisis so most of you can have something else to obessess over.

by Anonymousreply 407October 8, 2018 2:38 PM

Trump is delusional, as are his followers and sycophants R407. You must be utterly devoid of any sound ability to judge character. Trump is a deranged Carnival-barking Huckster, Master of wizardry, and the epitome of a charlatan. Put that in your pipe and smoke up.

by Anonymousreply 408October 8, 2018 2:43 PM

We'd do much better with the lying under oath tactic.

For better or for worse, Brettski seems to have sobered up and stopped with the harassment after college--there haven't been any reports and women who worked for/with him seemed surprised. Lots of people are jerks as 18 year olds and then grow out of it.

But not a lot of people lie about the work they did for Ken Starr and all that.

by Anonymousreply 409October 8, 2018 2:46 PM

[quote]No supreme court justice has ever been removed

Abe Fortas. While he was not, technically, removed, his ethics problems resulted in impeachment proceedings beginning and eventually caused Fortas to resign.

by Anonymousreply 410October 8, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote]It was a temporary window but the Dems let it slip away

Oh, garbage. There wasn't anything that they could do, which is why you self-defeating idiots never can come up with a scenario where anything would have been different. The fix was in from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 411October 8, 2018 3:08 PM

Keg Kavanaugh's Supreme Court debut from cartoonists' perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412October 8, 2018 3:59 PM

R367 Kavanaugh was not sworn into the supreme court in secret. If they did it in secret you would have never had pictures and video of the ceremony taken by the media, and it never would have been reported by the media, etc.

by Anonymousreply 413October 8, 2018 4:53 PM

How about Trump's special pretend swearing in earlier tonight? God these people are morons.

by Anonymousreply 414October 9, 2018 4:26 AM

It was a horror show, and salt in the wounds, R414.

These are the most repugnant people on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 415October 9, 2018 4:32 AM

Justice Brett Kavanaugh has hired a black law clerk for his new chambers at the U.S. Supreme Court, matching Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s record of African-American clerkship hiring during her tenure on the nation’s highest judicial tribunal.

With his first clerkship hires, Kavanaugh also set a gender composition record, an apparent attempt to buck the high court’s hiring patterns, which tend to favor white, male graduates of elite law schools.

Since joining the high court in 1993, Ginsburg has hired over 100 law clerks, just one of whom is black.

Kavanaugh’s new clerks are Shannon Grammel, Megan Lacy, Sara Nommensen and Kim Jackson. These hires set a record in a second respect: Kavanaugh is the first Supreme Court justice to hire an all female class of clerks.

Kavanaugh was sworn in Saturday by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Anthony Kennedy in a private, intimate ceremony at the court. He quietly began work on Sunday, taking over a suite of offices formerly occupied by Justice Samuel Alito.

by Anonymousreply 416October 9, 2018 4:34 AM

RBG side eye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417October 9, 2018 4:38 AM

Mmm hmmm, and all my law clerks look like models. I learned from justice Koczinski how you treat a lady. I like boobies.

by Anonymousreply 418October 9, 2018 4:41 AM

Yeah the Democrats blew it but not this year. They blew it in 2016 by running a candidate who was distrusted and despised by many voters on all sides of the political spectrum.

I voted for Hillary in the general election because the other party ran a crazy bufoon. I didn't like her and think she was a corporate shill like most politicians in both parties. The only time I was really enthusiastic about voting for president was Obama in 2008. Ane he turned out too be much too fond of drone strikes and government secrecy for my taste.

My vote in 2020 may be taken for granted but if the party wants to get the votes of independents in 2020 they need someone smart and charismatic and not too old. Which means not Biden or Sanders. (Biden would be off my list in any case because of his verbal flubs and creepy handsiness with women.) I don't have a particular person in mind but I hope the party leaders don't fuck it up again.

This American Life did an interesting episode covering the state of the Democratic party. It's worth a listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419October 9, 2018 4:43 AM

Brett's role model

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420October 9, 2018 4:43 AM

R407 To you who defend Trump, and claim liberals are delusional, I f I may add a succinct quote from Seth Meyers tonight : Trump is VULGAR AND PETULANT. Brilliant. That about sums it up cunt.

by Anonymousreply 421October 9, 2018 4:48 AM

R419, how about Amy Klobuchar/Robert O'Rourke 2020?

The only problem I see is no black or hispanic minority but, other than Kamala Harris, I don't think there are any contenders for that role. Unfortunately, since I want a woman to top the ticket, there's no way to have Harris on there too and she's not ready for the top of the ticket. I was thinking O'Rourke/Harris might work but why should he jump over Harris to the presidential slot with even less experience than she has. I definitely don't want a less experienced male and a more experienced woman in the support role. See that too much in the real world and the woman is always screwed in that position...doing all the heavy lifting, getting none of the credit.

by Anonymousreply 422October 9, 2018 5:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423October 9, 2018 3:41 PM

[quote]Kavanaugh is the first Supreme Court justice to hire an all female class of clerks.

Anyone surprised?

by Anonymousreply 424October 9, 2018 3:43 PM

[quote]It was a horror show, and salt in the wounds, R414.

That's exactly it. It was a blatantly political event, deliberately designed to loudly proclaim victory and rub everyone's nose in it. And Kavanaugh played along, confirming what we already know.

by Anonymousreply 425October 9, 2018 3:44 PM

Those who voted 3rd party or who did not vote for Clinton in 2016 own the responsibility for Drump. IT "won" by 77,000 votes delivered (strategically?) over three states. Everyone understood in 2016 you were voting for one of 2 people, Clinton or the Cheeto. Your non-vote, your protest vote etc, were silly, misguided tantrums. Many of these self righteous ding dongs, including Sarandon, have tried to elevate their tantrum with empty rhetoric about "abandoning the middle class" and nonense about this not being a "binary choice" Some, Silly Sue among them, encouraged voting for Cheeto to "bring about the revolution". Indeed a revolution where the poorest of the poor pay first and pay hardest. Yes, you are entitled to your vote, your tantrum, your willingness to "blow it up" Of course you are entitled to all of that. But make no mistake, you are NOT sheilded from justifiable criticism.

And to all of you I say,: Ffeel free to continue your bullshit. Write in "Bernie" or any of your other favorite Sesame Street heroes and the adults will take care of it. So whether your 10 or 88 you can continue to throw yourself on the supermarket floor and scream for your favorite fantasy hero figure in the sugary box of cereal. However nobody will bother to notice or stop you. Those who are adult enough to realize they either made a mistake in 2016 by not voting for voting or God Help us voted Republican will correct their mistake and take back some political power in November.

The poor, the non-white, the disadvantaged will save this country from its worst impulses. The third party voter, the Bernie or bust Voter can find their kin in those who voted directly for Drump and still love him. You both want to blow it up and see what happens.

You made a mistake. If you can't admit it, what can you possibly have to offer?

To those who can't admit their judgement was faulty and

by Anonymousreply 426October 9, 2018 4:05 PM

Bravo, r426....

by Anonymousreply 427October 9, 2018 4:09 PM

Dream on, [R426]. I live in a rural red region of a blue state. The poor and uneducated love Trump. Even many of the Latino citizens vote for him because many of them do not have sympathy with illegal immigrants. I know a woman who voted for him whi aays Obamacare saved her life when she was diagnosed with cancer. She still loves Trump and says he's a good man who would not let her go without insurance.

I'm not saying it makes sense, but people do vote for emotional reasons and the negative feelings about the Clintons are very common. Hell, I don't like or trust Hillary and I voted for her because I learned my lesson about accepting the lesser of two evils from the Dubya Bush years.

Run someone likeable with charisma and without personal and political scandals and we'll have some chance for victory in 2029. If you run someone like old Joe Biden you will turn off almost all the younger voters.

Plus, consider that most of the bullshit accusations about Al Franken were by women whose only contact with him was photo ops in public places. We have a lot of video of Biden being mildly creepy in those. These days, that's enough to sink him. We need someone charismatic snd sqeaky clean which is an unusual combination.

Double standard for our side and theirs? You betcha but you need to deal with the electorate you have, not the ones you would like to have.

I had four women friends who voted for Trump and only one has buyer's remorse at this point. Another one finds him distasteful but thinks he's responsible for her stock portfolio doing well. Plus she is from a law enforcement family and thinks the Democrats want to take her guns.

And one last thing. You need rural states because of the electoral college. This means you have to stop demonizing hunters and other normal gun owners. I have two rifles to protect my livestock. They are used only for that and they are small caliber 'varmint guns' so they wouldn't be much use in a mass shooting in any case. Reasonable regulations for shooting spree type guns are fine with me but painting all gun owners as nuts just pisses me off and I generally vote blue.

You need to stop demonizing the people whose votes you need. Stop talking about 'deplorables' - you see how well that worked for Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 428October 9, 2018 4:41 PM

I think the poor and uneducated love trump because they have nothing. To them it would be better to destroy/level everything and start over than to figure out how to become successful on their own. In all honesty, most of them are not capable of becoming successful - so let's give it to the libtards!

by Anonymousreply 429October 9, 2018 4:56 PM

This is who was at the White House last night for that disgusting display of partisan politics, reality tv, and self-congratulations.

Tony Perkins...Be Afraid! Be Very Afraid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430October 9, 2018 6:02 PM

[quote] Well, I certainly hope he takes a bit of time and has his mouth stretched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431October 9, 2018 6:07 PM

Also present was RBG and that peculiar lump on her neck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432October 9, 2018 6:12 PM

"You need to stop demonizing the people whose votes you need. Stop talking about 'deplorables' - you see how well that worked for Hillary."

Well first of all, Clinton was 100% correct. And she would've lost even if she DIDN'T say that. (apathy on the blue side, along with voter suppression and interference from both the FBI and Russia).

Second: we don't need the votes of the people who went for Trump in 2016 because they will never give us their votes. The whole "reaching out" thing is a lazy editorial cliche and not much else. Besides, beyond geography, the average Trump voter is educated and has a median salary that starts at 50k a year - and in many cases, is much higher. Hardly struggling blue collar. The fact is, more and more research points to what was GLARINGLY OBVIOUS to many of us: racial grievance was the main engine behind the enthusiasm for Trump. Ever try to reason with a racist? Here's a hint: it doesn't fucking work.

"This means you have to stop demonizing hunters and other normal gun owners."

You are on crack. People aren't demonizing hunters and rallying for 12 gauges to be banned. They are calling for sensible gun control around weapons that should only be available and used within the theater of war. That passion you mistake for "demonizing" is simply the unvarnished emotions of people who have had a loved one blown to bits. Usually a child.

Here's what REALLY happens: every time there is a shooting spree, your side sounds the alarm, on propaganda channels like Fox, bellowing that these understandably anguished folk are crazy and coming for all guns - (if not rejecting outright that any killings took place at all with shit paranoia theories like "crisis actors").

Again. It's absurd to think that we can get Trump voters to not vote for Trump by deploying some inane charm offensive. That's a logical fallacy. Peeling back purple states via voter turnout initiatives is really the only way to get some sanity back into the government. Either that, or it all falls apart. For everyone except a handful of crazy-wealthy people.

Those are the only two scenarios we face right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433October 9, 2018 7:08 PM

Court Mood is Jovial as Kavanaugh Takes His Place on Bench

Brett Kavanaugh took the bench with his new Supreme Court colleagues for the first time Tuesday in a jovial atmosphere that was strikingly at odds with the tension and rancor surrounding his high-court confirmation.

The new justice dived into his new job, asking a handful of questions in the first arguments of the day following a traditional welcome from Chief Justice John Roberts, who wished Kavanaugh "a long and happy career in our common calling."

Kavanaugh took his seat at the end of the bench to Roberts' far left, a visible manifestation of a moment that Republicans have dreamed of for decades, with five solidly conservative justices on the court, and Democrats have dreaded.

In court, Kavanaugh asked questions of both sides in arguments over increased prison sentences for repeat offenders. He jumped in with his first question after most of the other justices had spoken.

Questions from Kavanaugh and Justice Neil Gorsuch, President Donald Trump's two high-court picks, suggested they could vote against the Trump administration and side with a criminal defendant from Florida who is fighting an increase in his sentence from just over six years to possibly more than 15 years.

As Gorsuch did in his first arguments last year, Kavanaugh focused heavily on the importance of following earlier decisions of the court. Both men testified about their respect for Supreme Court precedent, though Gorsuch already has been in the majority to overrule four high-court rulings.

Referring to a 2010 decision known as Curtis Johnson, Kavanaugh asked Justice Department lawyer Frederick Liu what the court should do "if we're trying to follow Curtis Johnson strictly?"

There were no disruptions in the courtroom, and the justices laughed at one another's jokes. Justice Sonia Sotomayor even appeared to playfully pinch Gorsuch's arm as she asked a question about the kind of physical force necessary to have a crime be treated as violent under a federal enhanced sentencing law.

When the session came to an end, Kavanaugh shook hands with his new seatmate, Justice Elena Kagan. They also chatted privately before the arguments began. From time to time, Kavanaugh put on reading glasses to glance at papers in front of him.

Kavanaugh's wife and two daughters were in seats reserved for justices' guests, along with retired Justice Anthony Kennedy. Kavanaugh replaced Kennedy on the bench.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434October 10, 2018 4:15 AM

[R433] The Trump voters are not some group in lockstep agrement with each other. The fact that some of them now regret their votes tells you that some can be reached and persuaded to vote for Democrat. The Trump fans I know aren't more racist than the general population.

According to a recent Pew poll 71% of Hispanics disapprove of Trumps job performance. It amazes me that 29% of Hispanics think he's good or at least tolerable.

I find it telling that you assume I'm against any gun regulations right after I tell you I support them. You just can't imagine gun owners being reasonable regular people. I don't belong to the NRA and I don't support their positions.

But it's pretty clear from your post that you like to dismiss large swaths of people as being unworthy of any consideration. That's a counterproductive position to take if you want them to vote for candidates you like. Trump didn't win on racism although racists certainly support him. You apparently do not understand how effective the Republicans were at demonizing Hillary Clinton. I didn't like her to start with but I knew she was just another corporatist politician which is about the best we can expect to get as president nowadays. Many think she's an unindicted criminal because the Republican propaganda machine is powerful and effective.

I think you'd be just as happy to lose in 2020 so you could have another 4 years of demonizing people who don't think exactly as you do. I wonder what you're going to do between now and then to help prevent another ,Trump victory. I'm picturing you going door-to-door to stump for the Democratic candidate. Whenever you meet someone who says they're going to vote for Trump you would say "well fuck you, you racist asshole!" and that would be your idea of of persuasive speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435October 10, 2018 8:51 AM

R435 is correct

by Anonymousreply 436October 10, 2018 12:35 PM

R436

by Anonymousreply 437October 10, 2018 5:07 PM

And what of this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438October 11, 2018 1:05 PM

R 438 that will go nowhere. It's just a pro forma exercise and has been sent to a bunch of BK's Pals out in Denver.

by Anonymousreply 439October 11, 2018 1:20 PM

R439, learn how to fucking reference previous replies. Jesus, it's not difficult.

by Anonymousreply 440October 11, 2018 2:42 PM

[quote]The Trump fans I know aren't more racist than the general population.

Yeah. They are. And more sexist too. And more 'straight white male supremacist' too.

by Anonymousreply 441October 11, 2018 2:42 PM

Trump supporters DESERVE to be demonized. They are sub-human, pig-ignorant, bigoted morons and monsters. They are vile, deplorable failures of human beings. That are disgusting bullying assholes.

Defending them in any way is intolerable. They do not deserve it. They have not earned it. They have SHOWN us who and what they are. They deserve NOTHING but contempt.

by Anonymousreply 442October 11, 2018 2:45 PM

Ii have come around to your side of the fence recently R442. I did give a pass to elderly and feeble-minded for too long. Not any longer, as I have seen how quickly things are advancing to something very frightening indeed. I have been further emboldened by Hillary Clinton's remarks that civility is now off the table.

by Anonymousreply 443October 11, 2018 3:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444October 11, 2018 5:28 PM

The 10th Circuit Court has seven Democrats and five Repugs. I think it's one of the most evenly balanced of the Circuit courts when it comes to appointments. They've already gone through two other groups of judges. And, he's still looking at disbarment.

by Anonymousreply 445October 12, 2018 3:39 AM
by Anonymousreply 446October 12, 2018 4:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447October 12, 2018 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!