Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Investigating Trump Over Taxes

The state on Tuesday launched an investigation into President Trump following an explosive report alleging that he and his family cooked up fraudulent financial schemes to help their parents dodge millions in taxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2018 6:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2018 5:23 AM

How is it that Trump has been able to get away with these schemes for so many years?

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2018 5:29 AM

Well of course he cheated on his taxes. Just another thing his allies and base will think is mighty fine. Theresa Guidice went to jail for much less, I'd like to see trump marched off in hand cuffs and ankle chains.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2018 5:33 AM

Wow, new York Times, how fucking timely. Of course, they couldn't bother to do anything like this during the 2016 election. Hilary's e mails were way more important at the time. They just need to clean house. Fire Patrick Healy, Maureen Dowd and Haberman.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2018 5:34 AM

Tomorrow's edition will even have photos of Trump working on the tax scheme to help his parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2018 5:51 AM

This really was the highlight of the evening news tonight. I always suspected he lied about the 1M "loan" in addition to all the other lies. Could there yet be justice for this carnival barking huckster? One can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2018 5:53 AM

Surely an IRS audit is close behind

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2018 6:14 AM

Tee-hee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2018 7:38 AM

Get him for EVERYTHING he's ever done wrong!

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2018 8:26 AM

A video about this from TYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2018 8:53 AM

State Charges šŸ¤žšŸ»

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2018 9:12 AM

Meh. Thereā€™s already punditry saying the statute of limitations on all these financial crimes had long since expired. But - thereā€™s some hope of civil criminality still being pursued.

Iā€™m hoping all the people they reported on who had been living in rent controlled or stabilised low-income buildings owned by the trumps - where the trumps justified jumps in rent based on the cost of new equipment etc during building maintenance over the years get to sue. It turns out, the trumps were wildly, wildly inflating the supposed costs of plant and equipment and general maintenance - and pocketing the difference - charging through dodgy, trump family-owned fake companies.

Can you imagine if all those people sued for the difference in extra rent theyā€™ve been paying all those years? With interest? Love to see that happen - but expect itā€™s just a fantasy. Sigh. .

At the very least - given it appears all the trump siblings knew about this! - the cheetoā€™s sister - a federal judge! - needs to be fired. Fucking disgusting hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2018 9:16 AM

He been 'being audited' for like 3 years now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2018 11:00 AM

Yup, R13.

Trump has gotten away with not releasing his tax returns.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2018 7:02 PM

[quote] Can you imagine if all those people sued for the difference in extra rent theyā€™ve been paying all those years? With interest? Love to see that happen - but expect itā€™s just a fantasy. Sigh.

In New York, rent control tenants do care about their rights. There are a lot of feisty ones who have lived in their rent controlled apartments for decades and who don't mind a good fight with a landlord.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2018 7:06 PM

Spiro Agnew in 1973 resigned as VP over a single income tax evasion charge.

Trump has a documented background of shenanigans involving many millions over decades of very questionable transactions.

He gets away with it time after time. NY State, the IRS, the FBI, and the U.S. Congress, have done nothing so far as filings and prosecution. If Robert Mueller is going to act directly on this, it's really slow coming to fruitation.

If no one is above the law, is really true, DJT appears to have a permanent exemption starting long ago.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2018 2:04 PM

Too late, they should've done this, I dunno 2 years ago? 3 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2018 2:08 PM

What's so weird is that it was New York Times reporters who figured this out, not the IRS!

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2018 4:25 PM

[quote]What's so weird is that it was New York Times reporters who figured this out, not the IRS!

Don't be too sure. Someone obviously fed the NYT a lot of the material, and maybe it was a Trump insider, but it's more likely that it was someone from the Justice Department, or the FBI, or the IRS. Hell, maybe it was Mueller--there's a long list of people with a motive, all it takes is one.

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2018 4:32 PM

[quote]Spiro Agnew in 1973 resigned as VP over a single income tax evasion charge.

That was a different era.

Politicians today are less afraid to show corruption, particularly Trump.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2018 10:33 PM

Today they aren't even trying to hide the lies and corruption. It's right out there and in our faces. "Fuck you," they think, "try and do something about it." Case in point: don't seat a Supreme Court Justice during Obama's term, rush through a partisan hack under fake prez scum trump.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2018 1:39 AM

R21, there's also Republican Duncan Hunter in California who said he will not step down, even though he's been indicted on criminal charges.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2018 1:49 AM

Well Kavanaugh is in now.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2018 1:53 AM
by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2018 4:57 PM

This government is foresaken. It shall continue to go down from here, trust me; it is not going to get better.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2018 5:15 AM

No, I don't trust you, R25. Are you trying to depress the Democratic vote in November?

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2018 5:19 AM

No, I'm not even American R26.... I just have witnessed a devolution in democracy, ideals, sound values whilst living here. Despite progress during the mid-terms I am planning on selling my home, and splitting my time between PEI Canada, and Grand Cayman. I don't have much faith you Yanks can turn this ship around, sorry. Just being honest about my feelings. Too much damage has already been done.

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2018 5:24 AM

R27, it sure feels that way right now. I'm 68 and I still have some hope it will turn around in my lifetime, but there is also the fear that I will live out my final years in this hideous mess of a country.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2018 5:41 AM

R28 The stranglehold these Republican men have is unrelenting, even in the face of their constituents wanting another choice (regarding Kavanaughty) . I do not like what is going on here, nor at home presently. These men are off the rails. Too much corruption under the guise of Christianity and "Good" conservative values. I really believe the Orange Stain shall get another term too. Unless he gets taken to task for his taxes, and is impeached, this country only becomes more scary and diminished IMHO. I hope all Americans get out and vote, or if unable sign up for absentee ballots or the like.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2018 5:50 AM

Teflon Trump will just get away with it like he always does.

Maybe 8 months ago this would have excited me, but now I just feel numb.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2018 6:21 AM

[quote]Teflon Trump will just get away with it like he always does.

But the question is, WHY is Trump so Teflon?

Why don't things stick to him the way they do to most politicians?

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2018 6:57 AM

He's not quite so Teflon as not to be bothered by Mueller though. If he thought he was totally untouchable, he wouldn't bridle so much at the Special Investigation.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2018 7:14 AM

With this much corruption - and remember! Itā€™s like an iceberg! Weā€™re only seeing the tip thatā€™s above the surface! - how long till stuff starts falling apart at an everyday level?

I mean - surely you just canā€™t keep rorting and stealing from the system till stuff starts to become non functional and begins to collapse?

I just finished reading quite a good crime novel by a Nigerian writer - set in Lagos (itā€™s called My Sister the Serial Killer) and outside of the plot and characterisations - thereā€™s this chilling sense of a place that functions - but thereā€™s corruption that filters through from the top down. And even seemingly small-ish things require a bribe before one can progress. Iā€™m sure itā€™s the same in most post-soviet states - and I wonder how long till this is the norm in the West.

After all: if the precedent and example is set from the very top - it surely filters down through the various levels of society and spreads like a cancer. And how can it be wrong for anyone else when the head of state and politicians in power are all gaming the system?

I pray enough people vote to make a difference in November. If they donā€™t - I fear this behaviour will become entrenched and truly become the norm.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2018 7:42 AM

[quote]Iā€™m sure itā€™s the same in most post-soviet states - and I wonder how long till this is the norm in the West.

In Bob Woodward's new book, Trump admits that he's had to "grease the palm" of lots of politicians and business owners over the years.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2018 7:53 AM

R34 - oh yeah - itā€™s not like weā€™ve been immune to corrupt practises - I mean - look at the whole ā€˜lobbying industryā€™ that exists to gladhand politicians on behalf of various special interests groups! That whole set up is outrageous!

But - up until now - there has been the semblance of some sort of law and order - and occasional prosecutions. It gives the illusion to the populace that corruption is the exception rather than the norm. But once that mask has completely slipped - then whatā€™s to stop people in some sort of authority - even petty local bureaucrats and small town cops - from imposing their own versions of whatā€™s going on at the upper echelons? And can you blame them? Itā€™s just the way we do business here...

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2018 9:17 AM

About fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2018 9:28 AM

Why is this not a bigger story. We have a actual criminal in the White House and no one cares. He really has made a pack with the Devil.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2018 9:33 AM

[quote]How is it that Trump has been able to get away with these schemes for so many years?

I have a better question...why the FUCK wasnā€™t Trump disqualified for NOT showing his taxes. Especially, since every other goddamn presidential candidate has provided that information. They handled that prick with kid gloves from the very beginning and now we're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2018 9:34 AM

[quote]How is it that Trump has been able to get away with these schemes for so many years?

The best Jewish lawyers on the planet...

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2018 9:37 AM

R38 - always follow the money....

Look at who benefits. The rethugs got the keys to the kingdom by trump winning.

And as for the media - theyā€™re lapping it up! Theyā€™ve not been this relevant for years! Record numbers tuning in and buying subscriptions- you think they want a ā€˜boringā€™ administration?

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2018 9:39 AM

[quote]No, I'm not even American [R26].... I just have witnessed a devolution in democracy, ideals, sound values whilst living here.

I'm surprised how quickly it can happen. Hoping to retire in the next 5-7 years if not earlier and spend part of my time in another country. Politics should be something you don't have to worry about but in the last couple of years politics and Trump are the news headline and it never seems to be good.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2018 1:16 PM

Yes R41, and one would have to be really Panglossian in his outlook to think he is fully immune to government. Especially as a gay man, retirement all the more makes me feel unsettled remaining here permanently, though I have recently been granted this status. I truly wish I felt differently, but I do not. Two German friends living here agree with me. They are either moving to the Caribbean or S.America. I know two Dutch gay men who are making plans to take their American husbands back to Holland too. The blasted writing is on the wall for all whom are brave enough to read.

by Anonymousreply 42October 7, 2018 8:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2018 2:25 PM

It never made a blip in the news. A sitting President and his sitting Judge sister criminals and no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 44October 7, 2018 4:19 PM

It was on the BBC R44. With great detail might I add.

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2018 4:26 PM

"Why is this not a bigger story."

Because to all the angry women behind #MeToo movement, a drunken frat boy copping a feel 36 years ago is more important than anything that precedes it or comes after it, including poverty, health insurance, the widening income cap between rich and poor, the elimination of the middle class, tariffs and trade, a crooked con artist as president, etc. You know, run-of-the-mill stuff that Middle America can't relate to.

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2018 4:29 PM

That's all you got out of it? You sound Republican or Russian or both.

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2018 11:08 PM

[quote]But the question is, WHY is Trump so Teflon? Why don't things stick to him the way they do to most politicians?

It's impossible to be certain but I think it's a couple of things: one is his total lack of shame, along with his total disregard for reality, and the second is that he's overloaded the system. There are simply too many scandals and the news media doesn't even time to process one before another pops up. And then when they confront him or the people speaking for his administration, he and they blithely and blatantly lie.

Our national media is simply not equipped to deal with this. They played along for ratings initially, never dreaming that this is where we could end up, and now they're overwhelmed. They haven't been able to adjust and so we go from outrage to outrage, never letting anything build to a critical mass that could actually yield results.

The only thing I can think of that actually might do some good is that blue wave.

by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2018 1:14 AM

R48 Trump understands that. He distracts and has done so since the 80s. He even would plant fake stories. Our President is a PR Manager.

by Anonymousreply 49October 8, 2018 1:54 AM

An investigation is off the table.

by Anonymousreply 50October 8, 2018 2:17 AM

Why do you bother lying so clumsily, R50? Investigation is the one thing that is guaranteed to happen if the Democrats retake the House or the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 51October 8, 2018 2:20 AM

I wonder, R51. We have a few posters who seem blinded by their misogyny. To them, everything can be blamed on one woman or another.

by Anonymousreply 52October 8, 2018 2:24 AM

R52 Kick out schumer too I say. I blame the gormless democrats more than the real estate shyster from Queens. They'll do nothing r51, win or lose. Guaranteed. They never do.

by Anonymousreply 53October 8, 2018 2:47 AM

The biggest story out of this is: if the Trump family really had so much money, why did they continue to live in fucking Queens?

If thatā€™s not proof of what Little class they had I donā€™t know what is.

by Anonymousreply 54October 8, 2018 3:41 AM

In "Fahrenheit 11/9" Michael Moore says Trump's POTUS campaign was initially a stunt, a way for him to up his brand to negotiate a better salary because he found out Gwen Stefani was making more than him on that talent show.

by Anonymousreply 55October 8, 2018 3:51 AM

R55 yeah, I believe it. Our politics have sunk to the level of an US Weekly magazine edition.

by Anonymousreply 56October 8, 2018 3:54 AM

Something that bothers me as the Mueller investigation drags on is the confidence that scum trump and the repukes exhibit as they dole out big Fuck Yous to America. They act like their immune to anyone stopping the tear they're on. Destroying the EPA and other public agencies, giving themselves huge tax cuts and changing other laws to benefit the 1%, immorally stocking the Supreme Court with partisan and bigoted judges, blatantly lying, leering, and cheating like there's no tomorrow. Apart from trump's outrage over the investigation he still destroys, degrades, and insults with impunity. What the hell is going on?

by Anonymousreply 57October 8, 2018 3:55 AM

they're, not their ^

by Anonymousreply 58October 8, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote]I have a better question...why the FUCK wasnā€™t Trump disqualified for NOT showing his taxes.

Because he was good TV (and newspaper copy). The media kept on giving him a pass because he was improving their revenue streams. Just like Fox New was built on the back of Clinton's scandals, The NY Times, Washington Post, Vanity Fair & MSNBC are thriving in the current political environment.

by Anonymousreply 59October 8, 2018 4:05 AM

The Rethuglican club has three mottos: Rape the women, Rape the Earth, and Rape the Poor!

by Anonymousreply 60October 8, 2018 4:24 AM

"They act like they're immune to anyone stopping the tear they're on."

Sometimes they lose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 8, 2018 4:51 AM

R57, Bush-Cheney acted like this for years.

We seem to have forgotten that.

We've been here before.

by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2018 4:55 AM

[quote] The media kept on giving him a pass because he was improving their revenue streams.

And the democrats didn't do bupkis.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2018 10:40 PM

bumparoo bonsai

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2018 2:18 PM

This story doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

Last night on Don Lemon he was talking about Trump supporting a "Stop & Frisk" law in Chicago, and Kanye going to the White House this week to talk to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2018 7:57 PM

The only story that matters here is if this results in indictments. Everything else is just noise to most people.

by Anonymousreply 66October 10, 2018 7:16 AM

Politico is calling it "the bombshell that bombed."

Fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 10, 2018 7:30 AM

The hit job they did on Rod Rosenstein a few days earlier hurt the NYT. It's too bad because this story was the bigger story.

by Anonymousreply 68October 10, 2018 7:35 AM

R66, I think you're right.

Unless they can actually PROVE something corrupt that Trump has done and make it STICK, it's not going to have any impact with the voters.

by Anonymousreply 69October 10, 2018 7:38 AM

Nothing matters anymore. The Mueller investigation could (and probably will) show solid, undeniable proof of blatant treason and Republicans will deny and obfuscate what the report says. Facts no longer matter. I'm so sick of this shit I can't take it any longer. It keeps getting worse every single day.

I hope to never hear the words "unprecedented", "uncharted territory", and "new normal" ever again.

by Anonymousreply 70October 10, 2018 8:25 AM

Panel discussion with DL fave Avenatti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2018 4:42 PM

Oh, please!! Only the little people pay taxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2018 4:55 PM

[quote] There are a lot of feisty ones who have lived in their rent controlled apartments for decades and who don't mind a good fight with a landlord.

Actually, there are not a lot of rent controlled people at all.

Slightly more than 1% of all rental property in NYC is rent controlled. That means 98+ % are not rent controlled (and never will be).

You cannot ā€œwillā€ your rent controlled apartment to a relative, which has been a lie broadcast by nasty landlords and jealous market rate payers. The only way you can stay in a rent controlled apartment is if you were put on the lease long before the renter died and you received all your mail at the apartment and the landlord dropped in quite a bit and saw you living there. Thereā€™s no way you get added to the lease 2 or 3 years before the tenant dies and you redirect some mail to their apartment to look legit while you lived somewhere else. Nuh uh. And very few rent controlled apartments looked like Mia Farrowā€™s apartment in Hannah & Her Sisters, or Monicaā€™s grandmotherā€™s apartment in Friends.

I knew a family in a rent controlled apartment and the apt is abysmal. Old bathroom with cracked floors and a bare light bulb on a string. Ancient kitchen. Mice. Lots of mice. Thing is, any improvement is a legitimate excuse for raising the rent, even if you made the improvement yourself. So yeah, they get a shotgun 5th floor walk up apartment for $500 a month. But they had 3 kids in a decaying 2BR apartment and when the father was fired from his union job and rehired as a non union part time temp worker, they had trouble keeping financially afloat because they were so used to paying a pittance for their lifestyle. The best thing about it was their kids got free college and two got full scholarships because their parents made so little money and the apartment was in a neighborhood that was once dangerous and is lumped in with a very poor neighborhood demographically. So they come from an underprivileged area and lived in an underprivileged family.

by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2018 5:13 PM

People were very foolish for voting for a person who refused to show his tax returns...Trump is just a huge criminal and treasonist.

by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2018 5:23 PM

"Old bathroom with cracked floors and a bare light bulb on a string. Ancient kitchen. Mice. Lots of mice."

Sounds okay, luv. Is there a Family Dollar nearby?

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2018 5:27 PM

If we had some fighters on the Democratic Party this could be a bigger deal. No cojones.

by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2018 5:29 PM

R70 seems correct in his thinking.

by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2018 5:31 PM

It was known before the election that Trump cut his nephew and his nephews disabled child off health insurance and stiffed his inheritance. People still voted for him. The ones who wear tee shirts screaming ā€œFuck your feelings.ā€

Iā€™ve no doubt the nephew has been silenced by threat of lawsuits from Trump, who would keep the nephew tied up in court for years, draining his bank account for lawyer fees.

The law should not be allowed to be weaponized as a means of bankrupting people. .

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2018 5:44 PM

Well, they finally got Capone on his taxes. You DON'T fuck with the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2018 6:19 PM

It seems like trump has been doing exactly that for decades, R79.

by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2018 6:23 PM

Seriously. If the IRS has been paying any attention at all theyā€™d have snagged the Trump Crime Family. Instead, theyā€™ve been ripping off the IRS for what.. 80 or 90 years?

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2018 6:31 PM

Apparently they were looking the other way concerning The Manaforts, too. They probably would never have been nabbed if Manafort hadn't went to work for Trump.

Curious that the wife has escaped scrutiny, as she was living the hi-life right along with her ostrich coat-wearin' hubby. Wonder if that was part of Paulie's 'deal'- leave my wife alone and I'll spill the beans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2018 6:39 PM

Yes!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2018 6:40 PM

And, right now, itā€™s not the IRS who is going to pursue Trump for taxes. The IRS is just going to sit there and do nothing. Itā€™s the state of NY who is going after him.

And you DONT piss off the NY state dept of taxation & finance. My family is in the (independently owned) restaurant business. At all cost, you must pay NY state taxes. If you donā€™t, they will shutter the doors of your restaurant and put your ass in jail. A friend of ours sold her restaurant and the new owners stupidly didnā€™t pay their state taxes. You canā€™t get much dumber than to do that in the restaurant biz because NYS keeps an eagle eye on restaurants, knowing the owners try to get away without paying. A diner in my town that was in business for 25 years got a new owner who did the same thing. Now we donā€™t have a diner & the owner is in jail.

I doubt Trump will go to jail, but he will need to pay up. I wonder, since the Trump a .Org has been around since Fredā€™s day, if Trump will have to pay all $500M in taxes. Iā€™d rather see that than Trump go to jail because at all costs, he mayst have his money taken away. It would hurt him more than anything

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2018 6:40 PM

Trump would see himself as the tough guy in prison and most inmates would treat him well because crooks are stupid and are enthralled with celebrity, like all dumb people are. Trump could promise them money to watch out for him. Heā€™d still be able to keep his homemade hagiography going inside his lizard brain.

But take away his money and he is nothing ā€” inside or outside of jail. Can you imagine Trump calling an Ube? Taking Southwestern to FL?

Would he be able to write a book and keep the proceeds? Or would the proceeds need to go to the state since the state is the victim in his crimes.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2018 6:48 PM

the problem with the IRS and taking these people to court for back taxes is this -

The fuckers know they owe. They get some smarmy lawyer to drag this shit into court then ask for continuance after continuance. That shit stain Mercer owes around $7 Billion in taxes but he won't pay and this has been tied up in court for years. This is how they operate.

IMO, there should be no continuances on tax cases of this dollar amount. Trial by jury and when you're found guilty, there is no appeal. You go straight to jail until you cough up the cash. No offers in compromise, no hardship bullshit. To jail until you come up with what you owe. Can't pay? Asset forfeiture and if that does not cover it, you get to rot in prison.

If you try to hide shit offshore, you get 10 years added to your jail time plus those assets seized .

These lying, cheating fuckers need to have the fear of god put into them as well as a good, hard cunt punt so they know this shit won't be tolerated.

And do this to everyone of them as long as it takes foe the rest of them to fall in line.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2018 6:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!