Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The disturbing and bizarre case of "The Silent Twins"

This case has always intrigued me. Journalist, Marjorie Wallace, skillfully captures their inner world of childhood madness.

I'm wondering if American doctors and psychologists would have done a better job at treating the sisters or at least documenting the pathology of their mental state. I think their condition, in part, was a reaction to their alien environment and the extreme bullying they endured day in and day out.

It's also puzzling how Jennifer, after volunteering to sacrifice herself, suddenly dies on the eve she and her sister, June, were scheduled to be transferred to a new psychiatric facility. Was the stress of leaving the present facility - their home - too much, was her sudden death just coincidence, or did each twin posses the power to cease being at will?

Anyone else creeped out by their story?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2019 1:53 PM

Wow this story sounds fascinating, I'm going to read more about it now.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2018 6:45 PM

It sounds like a story that the movie Dead Ringer could have been based on.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2018 7:12 PM

Actually, I meant Deader Ringers with Jeremy Irons (not Dead Ringer), though Dead Ringer sounds kind of similar too.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2018 7:14 PM

[Quote]In fiction there are lots of scary twins. Just think of those creepy little girls in The Shining. In the real world, most twins consider themselves lucky to have a companion who shares their genes and their history. But for some twins, like Jennifer and June Gibbons, that unique bond becomes more of a curse.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2018 7:31 PM

[quote] Actually, I meant Deader Ringers

LOL

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2018 7:38 PM

Abuse, shared Mental illness, and having to endure the horrors of an unsophisticated and cruel behavioral health system. Sheer Agony.

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2018 7:48 PM

I think that they had Selective Mutism aggravated by constant bullying and racism in the school yard.

Selective Mutism is a complex childhood anxiety disorder characterized by a child's inability to speak and communicate effectively in select social settings, such as school. These children are able to speak and communicate in settings where they are comfortable, secure, and relaxed.

Selective mutism usually co-exists with shyness or social anxiety. People with selective mutism stay silent even when the consequences of their silence include shame, social ostracism, or punishment. Selective mutism affects about 0.8% of people at some point in their lives.

Some researchers speculate that selective mutism may be an avoidance strategy used by a subgroup of children with social anxiety disorder to reduce their distress in social situations.

On the positive side, many people with this condition have:

Above-average intelligence, perception, or inquisitiveness

Creativity and a love for art or music

Empathy and sensitivity to others' thoughts and feelings

A strong sense of right and wrong

The twins wrote novels and were poetic.

June's poem for Jennifer after Jennifer's death:

"We once were two

We two made one

We no more two

Thru life we one"

Contrary to popular belief, people with selective mutism do not necessarily improve with age. Effective treatment is necessary for a child to develop properly. Without treatment, selective mutism can contribute to chronic depression, further anxiety, and other social and emotional problems.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2018 8:31 PM

I read a book about them years ago: "The Silent Twins" by Marjorie Wallace. Interesting but very sad: they struggled from an early age in a hostile world, and at first retreated from it, then lashed out against it.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2018 2:50 AM

The surviving twin still lives in Wales. I guess she stays to be close to her family. Imagine growing up most of your life in an institution and then being suddenly set free.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2018 2:32 PM

Pepsi Coke Addict - June’s novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2018 3:08 PM

They've always fascinated me. Their real life story interspersed with June's novel would make a fascinating fever dream of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2018 3:18 PM

Bah. They boring!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2018 3:23 PM

Shared psychosis... Lucky for society females with mental illness usually self destruct, as opposed to their male counterparts who lash out with violence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2018 3:28 PM

Twins don't even have to speak to communicate. I'm a fraternal twin and I just have to look at my brother or do a hand gesture and he knows what I'm saying. We are roommates and if I'm coming home from work and want something for dinner, I can just think about it and he wants the same thing. Two years ago, I needed peppers and out of the blue, he called me from the grocery store and said "red or green".... Silent twins. Back to the girls.....tragic story, it's a shame they couldn't receive the treatment they deserved

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2018 3:35 PM

R2 Dead Ringers was based on the story of Stewart and Cyril Marcus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2018 3:43 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2018 3:45 PM

The Silent Twins is extraordinary. Does anyone remember a rare/frienge book catalog from the ‘80s/‘90s called Amok? That’s where I discovered it.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2018 3:53 PM

Manic Street Preachers wrote a song inspired by the twins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2018 3:59 PM

The twins were diagnosed with Schizophrenia when they became adults and were given tranquilizers and other drugs. The tranquilizers relaxed their minds, caused them to lose their shyness and they began to speak.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2018 6:32 PM

I was just thinking about this case the day before yesterday

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2018 7:07 PM

Good documentary on the case, very fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2019 1:14 PM

I was severely bullied in high school and I stopped talking. It became a weird game with me, to see how long I could go without talking. I think I felt it gave me power over a powerless situation.

I had no friends, so it wasn't that difficult.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2019 1:44 PM

Can someone summarize this case? Not clicking links or watching documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2019 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!