Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old Ladies and Lipstick

Why is it that when ladies get lines around their lips that they extend their lipstick farther than they should? They end up looking like The Joker.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2018 9:49 PM

Why is it when guys get older their balls droop? It is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2018 3:17 PM

they learned overlining from DL icon Lucy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2018 3:23 PM

Where did that look come from? In the late 70's a met a Denny's waitress who had that same lipstick sneer. She was in her 50's and yes, her name was Helga. But no one gave her shit because of her lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2018 3:31 PM

OP - and why does it end up on their teeth as well?

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2018 3:44 PM

Obviously because they're too tragically vain to admit to dimming eyesight, and all that would entail, so Carry On Regardless, wherein camp ensues.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2018 3:54 PM

I think you've got it, R5. There could be no other explanation for such a tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2018 4:03 PM

As a child I often wondered where they found those weird, pink matte shades that seemed to be so popular. Don't get me started on how much they clash with the blue rinsed, candy cotton hairdo.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2018 4:07 PM

As you age, your lips get thinner. After putting on lipstick for 40 years, you're used to putting on a certain amount in a certain shape, instead of accomodating the smaller size.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2018 4:10 PM

They're stuck in the 50s

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2018 4:26 PM

I love seeing little old ladies, all gussied up, OP. And when old men step out in their best suits and hats? Well! I hope to be like them when I'm an eldergay.

Honestly, it's just so nice to see a generation that cares about looking 'good', or at least making their best attempt.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2018 4:28 PM

Some women who have thin lips will draw a new lip line outside their actual lips to give themselves bigger lips. From afar it may look okay, but close up they look like fools.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2018 4:37 PM

R11 still better than those idiots who get lip liners tattooed on.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2018 4:47 PM

Why? Is the mirror a mirage? Do they need better prescriptions for their glasses/contacts? It's just horrible. Lucy's well drawn line tells me she was trying to create an illusion, but if it's only good from afar what damn good is it to begin with?

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2018 4:50 PM

I wish I could remember who it was but very recently I saw a close up picture of a young current well known actress. It looked like she had 2 sets of lips. Her real ones and then another transparent set on top that were 1/8" or more larger than the real lips. She looked a sight. I was like "bitch please, who the fuck do you think you're kidding"!

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2018 6:22 PM

It’s from the shakes after 50 years of being a booze hound

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2018 6:29 PM

They need magnifying mirrors and just a slight bit of filler in the lips

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2018 7:18 PM

When women age, their lips get thinner, and that's why so many of them turn to collagen or other fillers after age 40, hoping it will make them look younger. The thinning of lips with age really bothers actresses even more than I think wrinkles do.

The other approach some take is to draw the lip lines beyond the actual parameters of the lips, so as to fool people into thinking their lips are bigger than they are. But as r11 says (and the photo of Lucille Ball shows), while it works at a distance it look horrible in closeup.

They do NOT do this, as some posters are here suggesting, because they're too old to see the actual parameters of their lips! LOL! They do it intentionally, but, as with collagen, it doesn't work right unless you've got an absolute expert doing it for you.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2018 7:27 PM

Poor Lucy. Born too soon for lip injections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2018 7:36 PM

I agree. These bitches today just don't have the talent with lip liner I had.

Revel in my majesty cunts! And guess what, even after all these years rotting in my coffin, my makeup is still flawless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2018 8:45 PM

I was still rockin' it 2 days before I croaked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2018 9:37 PM

Why do old fossils go crazy with eyeliner like r20. Joan Collins falls into that category.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2018 9:39 PM

Creamy lipstick sometimes spreads, you put it on your lips but then it smudges outside of them.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2018 9:43 PM

R20, that picture of Tammy Faye is so sad.

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2018 9:46 PM

[quote] Why do old fossils go crazy with eyeliner like [R20]

In Tammy Faye's case she had no choice. She admitted years before she died that she'd had her lip liner and eye liner tattooed on permanently.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2018 9:47 PM

Joan Crawford started the overlip look. She had naturally thin lips so the MGM make-up department drew over them.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2018 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!