Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Unspoken Rules of Hollywood

They don’t call it Hollyweird for nothing. If you’ve lived there, worked there, know someone, etc: What’s one quirk of Hollywood life that no one says but everyone just knows? What tacit rules do you live by in order to survive in the biz?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600May 22, 2019 4:19 PM

Wow this thread is getting a lot of responses.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2018 12:49 PM

Any gay producer you sleep with to get a role will be a bottom. So be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2018 12:58 PM

If you see someone wet "down there", it's just yellow sweat.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2018 12:59 PM

When a project ends, there’s always someone who hopefully says: We should all keep in touch! This was a great thing!

Just give a generic e-mail address for it. There will be exactly one mass e-mail sent. No one ever sees each other ever again. That is, unless you were fucking someone.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2018 1:06 PM

Outing people gets you blacklisted, right?

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2018 1:09 PM

Yes, you're expected to go gay for a director, Agent or whatever, but in private only. The public cannot know as anything less than straight.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2018 1:11 PM

Be prepared to pay for play. Oh wait....unspoken?

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2018 1:36 PM

R4 lol. That’s every job though. I’m an IT contract worker and that’s how it works for us too.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2018 1:40 PM

Is OP the child trafficking loon? If so FUCK OFF you P izzagate Trump loving lowlife.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2018 1:48 PM

I've heard that on the sets of movies with primarily female actors, free-bleeding is all the rage when they have their periods.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2018 1:53 PM

The yellow sweat comes from being over served at the on set bar.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2018 1:54 PM

Is "yellow sweat" some new DLism?

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2018 1:57 PM

Some of the most troubled people are the ones that have the best public image. They just have better PR.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2018 2:06 PM

Bottom line is that they cover for one another. Even if you find out that someone has done something very bad, illegal etc, do not make it public.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2018 2:11 PM

This pretty much covers it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2018 2:12 PM

Most actors and actresses do not look nearly as hot in real life, especially without their makeup done by set artists.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2018 2:13 PM

There's a secret cabal of gay midgets in West Hollywood who control the entire movie industry.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2018 2:15 PM

Everyone hates you until they love you.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2018 2:30 PM

Are they Protestant gay midgets, R17?

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2018 2:33 PM

That anyone that says, "Hollyweird," is obviously mentally deficient.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2018 2:39 PM

None of us actually eat at PINK's - except for when out-of-town friends and family are visiting.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2018 2:42 PM

Um, no, R9. I am not.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2018 3:49 PM

[quote]That anyone that says, "Hollyweird," is obviously mentally deficient.

Anyone who says "anyone that" is also someone who is mentally deficient.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2018 3:52 PM

Truth hurts.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2018 3:54 PM

R23 is incorrect about the proper usage.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2018 4:01 PM

"Anyone that" may have become accepted, r25, in the new, "everything is okay" universe, but "anyone who" is always better when talking about people.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2018 4:03 PM

It's who you know and who you blow

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2018 4:04 PM

^I must concur. "Who/Whom" is to be used when referring to people. "That/Which" when referring to inanimate objects. You wouldn't say "A chair WHO was placed in the corner of the room." That will be all.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2018 4:05 PM

I don't disagree, R26. Point is, "That" is often used to ridicule or make a person less than human which seems exactly what R20 was doing. So...

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2018 4:07 PM

^Oh, you mean like "Who's THAT bitch?!" Gotcha. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2018 4:09 PM

No one is interested in you (professionally) unless everyone is. I've won screenwriting competitions, they all come after you, but it's sort of a half-ass, covering their own asses approach. No one wants to not be the one to read you if everyone is reading you. So much group think. No risk. No balls. And the most uncreative awful people work at the agencies -- they're just in it for the cool factor and getting laid and superficial reasons. they are no artists. They're soulless. Also, NEVER sleep with a gay guy for career advancement. You're better off with straight allies - male or female. Gays are a fucking mess in this town.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2018 4:23 PM

And one more thing: the whole diversifying thing is great -- more directors and writers of color and women. But the thing no one is talking about is that it wasn't some monolith of white men and women. It's all JEWISH men and women who are opening the doors to minorities to cover their asses. Non-Jewish men and women have a much harder time in this town. It's a tribe.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2018 4:25 PM

Because Jewish people created it. If you want [italic]your[/italic] tribe to run a business, start your fucking own you bigoted asshole.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2018 5:06 PM

Oh, and another unspoken rule of Hollywood: you can't call it out for being overly Jewish. People call you a "bigot" when you're really just pointing out an objective truth.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2018 5:26 PM

Non-Jewish men and women have a much harder time in this town. - Unless you're Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2018 5:34 PM

DRR - Directors rights respected.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2018 5:42 PM

never challenge someone's story about themselves to thier face. Everyone is fronting.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2018 5:49 PM

RE: 13 .... "Some of the most troubled people are the ones that have the best public image. They just have better PR."

I keep hearing this and it continues to astonish me. Emma Stone, Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Natalie, Portman, these people have never had so much as a hiccup in their personal lives. I don't mean Damon being dumb when he opens his mouth about race or Harvey. I mean, look at Ben Affleck and others who are all kinds of messy.

Two years ago I read that Emma Stone is so thin because she's a coke fiend, also anorexic, pill-popping mess of a human who's several marbles short of a set and is genuinely bat-shite bananas in the head. WHaaaaat? She's always so funny and smiling and fun and seems like the perfect human being.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2018 5:50 PM

Always be nice to everyone. You never know who people are connected to. People can make or break you in Tinsel town.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2018 5:54 PM

Be nice to Leo, Spielberg, Marty, Bob DeNiro, and Bob Iger. The rest are fucking lizards and nobodies.

Aaron Sorkin recently left the most powerful agent since Mike Ovitz, and he hasn't been jettisoned to Alaska or been whacked or anything.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2018 6:02 PM

Don't believe anything you read about actors/actresses. It's all bullshit put out by their PR people. Magazine articles, one on one interviews, its all staged.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2018 6:05 PM

Bobby DeNiro is a New Yorker, through and through, R60. Hates Hollywood with a passion, is only there when absolutely necessary.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2018 6:07 PM

there are no interviews. Every profile or "interview " you read is a crafted product of a publicist. Every. Single. One. People create relationships just to give media an excuse to write about them. Some have started that way and become the real deal. Some are totally scripted.

The casting couch does not exist at the casting level. Mostly its producers preying on young men and women and then either insisting they be cast. However most powerful men in LA are much more careful and strategic about who they propostion and bed that Whaestein was.

Having said all that, most jobs are won by perception, status in the industry and sometimes even talent. Casting couch stories are mostly stories not the usual way people get gigs

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2018 6:09 PM

It's not what you know, it's who you know. If Leo wants you in his movie, your in.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2018 6:14 PM

No one is your friend. If an opportunity comes to throw you under the bus to advance their career, they will.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2018 6:16 PM

[quote] Be nice to Leo, Spielberg, Marty, Bob DeNiro, and Bob Iger. The rest are fucking lizards and nobodies. [quote]

I love DeNiro, but I wouldn't put him on that list. I'd add Hanks though. Otherwise this list is on point.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2018 6:17 PM

You don't need talent to succeed, you just have to become the McDonald's of actors. Be predictable so movie goers know exactly what they're getting when they go to your movies. Comedy, drama, action, doesn't matter; the actors that succeeded played the same character in every single movie they did.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2018 6:21 PM

Everyone is a tipster in Hollywood. Which is why most stars don't live in los Angeles. The industry is to in people's business to live in comfort and peace.

The east coast is where it is.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2018 6:23 PM

Fascinating thread. Very useful for, well, anything since Hollywood-think has permeated so much of our (public) lives.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2018 6:34 PM

Whose public image is the most manipulated?

Who would shock us the most if we knew how they REALLY are?

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2018 6:42 PM

R46, Your list is very short. Are you sure there aren't more powerful names, say producers, who have a say in casting comedy films? Who's the next Amy Schumer, preferably cuter & more talented.

Also there are very wild rumors around that some of those names are going to be Indicted. Then what happens?

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2018 7:24 PM

One day you are trying to kiss James Toback or Brett Ratner's ass to get ahead, and now look at them. Disgraced and jettisoned. Don't try to suck David O Russell's cock, I assure you he is a nobody when push comes to shove. A year ago Kevin Spacey's name could get you FAR if you were involved with him. Now? Get it.

The heavies are the heavies. Ari Emmanuel, Kevin Huvane. Sure. Scott Rudin is a big producer but he has no ABSOLUTE power. Leo is literally like Sinatra. He calls his shots, and yours. Everybody sucks his ass 24-7 and he has clout that the most powerful actors in history didn't have combined. He was TENTH on the 100 power list or something. Every name around him on the list was a studio head or network president. Leo has astonishing power.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2018 7:41 PM

[quote]No one is interested in you (professionally) unless everyone is. I've won screenwriting competitions, they all come after you, but it's sort of a half-ass, covering their own asses approach. No one wants to not be the one to read you if everyone is reading you. So much group think. No risk. No balls. And the most uncreative awful people work at the agencies -- they're just in it for the cool factor and getting laid and superficial reasons. they are no artists. They're soulless. Also, NEVER sleep with a gay guy for career advancement. You're better off with straight allies - male or female. Gays are a fucking mess in this town.

This is so true. Every word of it. If it makes you feel better, R31, it's not just screenwriters.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2018 7:45 PM

R52, Thank you for your very informative post.

Didn't realize Leo was still a top money maker for Hollywood. Agree he's well known overseas.

Who are the other top stars in Hollywood who get the best scripts?

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2018 7:48 PM

These days, nobody is too big to fail.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2018 8:11 PM

R52, I'm curious about the origin of Leo's power. Is it because he draws big box office or does he know some secrets or something else entirely?

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2018 8:14 PM

Never leave the house without hair, make up, fabulous clothes or your "on" personality. You never know who is watching or observing from afar. Be in constant control of your image and as stated above, be kind to everyone. Be nasty only behind closed doors to people who deserve it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2018 8:19 PM

R31, if you don't mind speaking more about it, how do you deal with agents? It's fair to say that they are all intellectually limited people without a creative bone in their body. How do you get them to do what you need get done? Is it possible to have productive relationship with them if you are not a top earning actor/director/producer?

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2018 8:44 PM

Sounds like high school all over again

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2018 8:55 PM

1. Never comment on the record about problems with co-stars or their personal lives. Never trash anyone or sell anyone out on the record.

2. Every on set experience is to be characterized as wonderful, that you’ve made some lifelong friends, and that the set was like a family.

3. If your politics are not Hollywood politics, just say nothing.

4. Never trash a movie until the general consensus is that the movie was a dumpster fire and then wait until at least a year or two after the fact.

5. Talent is not a requirement. A good director and editing can make a performance. What’s really important is the right look and the right number of social media followers.

6. Never comment on the Big Bad Wolf until you are sure that the Big Bad Wolf is truly dead and buried.

7. Straight white guys always get second and third chances.

8. If you come out, then be prepared to play character and supporting roles for the rest of your career.

9. If you are a woman fuckability equals bankability

10. Be vocal about your support for things like #metoo and diversity, but when you get back to the set it’s really just business as usual.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2018 9:25 PM

[quote]Oh, and another unspoken rule of Hollywood: you can't call it out for being overly Jewish. People call you a "bigot" when you're really just pointing out an objective truth.

When you post JEWISH in all caps and in other ways show your hostility towards Jews you aren’t about discussing “objective truth” you whiny baby. Maybe you’re just not talented.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2018 10:26 PM

The worse thing that can happen is, you become irrelevant. You have to keep your face and name out there all the time. No matter what it takes.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2018 10:35 PM

Schlomo Livshtiz here. Black, white, red, protestant, catholic, jew. Oy! Take ya head outa ya tukas. We don't care about any color but green. Mazel tov!

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2018 10:39 PM

huh. interesting.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2018 10:40 PM

More please on Leo's power. How the hell did that happen? And, how has he applied that power within Hollywood, aside from commanding high pay or, having say over costars, dialogue, whatever with his movies. What else does he influence?

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2018 11:04 PM

Aside from the obvious departments like wardrobe, hair and make-up, most men on set are very straight, not-my-job douchebags you'd meet at any job.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2018 11:12 PM

Never get caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2018 11:14 PM

R66 I assume you’re excluding the actors.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2018 11:15 PM

"Straight white guys always get second and third chances. "

Ain't it the truth! I fully expect Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein to be back in a few years, but not Roseanne or Bill Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2018 11:27 PM

It's a Jewish boys club.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2018 11:36 PM

STRAIGHT white guys, R69.

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2018 11:40 PM

Not as many principal actors are as gay as DL posters would like to believe.

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2018 11:53 PM

Thirding or fourthing the request for further details re: Leo's power.

by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2018 11:56 PM

If you throw a cup of pee on a director, make sure it's Roman Polanski - child fucker.

by Anonymousreply 74September 20, 2018 11:57 PM

OP is a deplorable, only deploreables use Hollyweird.

FF

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2018 12:42 AM

To be a star, you must be tiny in real life.

by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2018 12:48 AM

To be a star, you must mask your insecurity and neediness. Pretend that you hate to have your privacy invaded while you go on pap strolls.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2018 1:10 AM

R69, And how many chances has Clooney gotten? How many subsequent bombs costing studios $$$$ and yet he just finished another project?Are you saying he's straight?

by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2018 1:28 AM

R78. Yes

by Anonymousreply 79September 21, 2018 1:31 AM

Most actors, like most politicians and whatever the hell Trump is - have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

by Anonymousreply 80September 21, 2018 1:32 AM

The camera adds 350 lbs to you

by Anonymousreply 81September 21, 2018 1:33 AM

R79, Please tell me you're joking. I just disproved the previous theory stated by R69 about only STRAIGHT white men getting repeated chances. GC is bi.

by Anonymousreply 82September 21, 2018 1:36 AM

R56 is dead from the neck up.

by Anonymousreply 83September 21, 2018 1:39 AM

VERY few people come from solid families with morals and values. If they do, they are repelled by the perverts and superficiality and return home after their year lease is up.

by Anonymousreply 84September 21, 2018 1:40 AM

It helps to be heartless.

by Anonymousreply 85September 21, 2018 1:43 AM

The number one rule is to never, ever say what you really think. Learn how to talk, but train yourself to not have an opinion and with time you will be absent of opinions. This way no one can quote you on something you said.

Make sure you sound enthusiastic no matter what job/film/show/person you are discussing.

by Anonymousreply 86September 21, 2018 1:48 AM

R21, I laughed and loved your comment. From LA. It's so TRUE. Never thought about going.

But my partner (also from LA) decided to it on a whim. We were driving by, no line, and just thought? Why not.

I loved it! I'm embarrassed to admit... Don't judge!

by Anonymousreply 87September 21, 2018 1:53 AM

I want to hear more about Emma stones alleged nuttiness

by Anonymousreply 88September 21, 2018 1:54 AM

Pay off your white trash family to keep them out of public view and to prevent them from selling stories.

by Anonymousreply 89September 21, 2018 1:57 AM

R90 Now you tell me!

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2018 1:58 AM

When appearing on a talk show, do not ever jump on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2018 1:59 AM

I’m not a fucking deplorable, R75. I had no idea “Hollyweird” was exclusive to Cheeto and his ilk. Really?

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2018 2:06 AM

R60 What a horrific cult. Why do you stay?

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2018 2:08 AM

[quote]will be absent of opinions

Meant to write DEVOID of opinions!

by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2018 2:11 AM

Feign shock when a colleague is proven to be a pervert.

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2018 2:12 AM

R82 like you would know

by Anonymousreply 96September 21, 2018 2:12 AM

You're only as good as your last film.

by Anonymousreply 97September 21, 2018 2:12 AM

Always be gracious and humble about the many awards you've received

by Anonymousreply 98September 21, 2018 2:14 AM

A lot of jobs are a form of prostitution, not just Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 99September 21, 2018 2:15 AM

If you're a movie star, you can only date other movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2018 2:15 AM

R60 So if fuckabilaty = bankability, please tell me who are the fuckable women in movies today?

JLaw? Seriously? Emma Stone? Puhlease.

by Anonymousreply 101September 21, 2018 2:16 AM

Outright outing by name gets you blackballed but Van Sant outed Keanu in his book, did not use his name and no one said a thing, or the dim wits really did not know who he was talking about. I figure the idiots are so busy staring at their navels, they don't know that other people exist. Anyway, Gus works.

by Anonymousreply 102September 21, 2018 2:19 AM

It's more important to look good than to be good. Beautiful on the outside and ugly inside is fine. The reverse is not fine.

by Anonymousreply 103September 21, 2018 2:21 AM

All of these "unspoken rules" sound like outsider observations which we all can clearly surmise on our own.

Dead thread.

by Anonymousreply 104September 21, 2018 2:22 AM

What would an insider's comment look like, R104?

by Anonymousreply 105September 21, 2018 2:24 AM

Your body is going to take a severe beating. You will have to gain weight for roles and lose weight for roles which will totally fuck up your metabolism. You will have to color your hair until it's fried for roles. You will have to take Propecia and Rogaine to keep from losing your hair. The makeup will clog your pores and the prosthetics will burn your skin. All that, in addition to the prescriptions for anxiety, ADHD, depression and a host of other ailments.

You fans both love you and hate you and want to build you up and tear you down all at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 106September 21, 2018 2:24 AM

I know this happens in every profession but in Hollywood I found that the people in charge really love fucking with the ones who aren't. Whatever aspect of the business you are trying to break into is completely dependent on their mood, whim or sexual preference. And as much as they love to say how diverse they are, gays, blacks or women are treated as the help.

by Anonymousreply 107September 21, 2018 2:27 AM

R96, So you're claiming Clooney's straight and not bi, and that's why he's had so many, many chances after repeated Box Office bombs, and just wrapped his latest project?

by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2018 4:01 AM

R107, Why is that true? Are those in power sociopaths/psychopaths and/or just have no morals?

by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2018 4:05 AM

Don't fkin snitch. You ever wonder why great talents never can seem to just make it. They ran their fkin mouths.

by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2018 4:07 AM

R110, Happy I don't work in Hollywood, and don't need the money.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2018 4:10 AM

r111, very well, you weak minded bitch.

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2018 4:11 AM

Hollywood is going to fall straight into the fucking ground when San Andreas finally comes.

And the last part of R107 is exactly why it's going to happen too. Fuck Hollywood.

It's an industry in decline anyway.

by Anonymousreply 113September 21, 2018 4:16 AM

Play the game, especially when you are not a straight, white male. If you don't, you're fucked and no one will help unfuck you.

by Anonymousreply 114September 21, 2018 4:19 AM

I’ve always thought Hollywood is one of the most twisted industries in the world. So unhealthy. Whatever creativity it allows is buried under jaw dropping cruelty and amorality. I assume anyone who succeeds there is a truly twisted soul.

by Anonymousreply 115September 21, 2018 4:19 AM

Hollywood is definitely an industry in decline, and has been for a while. Nothing good comes out of that business anymore.

Hollywood's best years we're in the 20th century. Since the 2000s it's all been shit.

I mean we have the fucking Kardashians now for crying out loud.

Hollywood has been over for a long time now. At least we have TCM to enjoy what's really good about the movie business.

The shows over folks!

by Anonymousreply 116September 21, 2018 4:29 AM

R112, You think I'm weak minded because I don't need more $$$ and I choose not to live in Hollywood? That doesn't make any sense. Or are you just an extremely angry person in general?

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2018 4:32 AM

R116, Don't you think Hollywood can be re-invented for the better? Word on the street is that a major power shakeup at the top is in the works.

Also what effect is China having on Hollywood? More of the same or changes?

by Anonymousreply 118September 21, 2018 4:36 AM

There's some RIDICULOUS shit on here.

Leo and Marty are "players" based on what?

Scorsese is a beloved artist but "beloved artist" doesn't make anyone billions of dollars.

Leo has made some bucks for the studios but...he's not a Marvel property.

by Anonymousreply 119September 21, 2018 4:39 AM

Hollywood hasn't changed and in some minor ways it's gotten better. There have always been Kardashian types. Movies were always about making money. Don't pull this bullshit that movies/Hollywood/the entertainment industry was so much better way back when. When people look back at the past as great than, when they are really doing is longing for their youth. The fashions and hairstyles change, but people don't.

by Anonymousreply 120September 21, 2018 4:41 AM

r110 = Harvey Weinstein

by Anonymousreply 121September 21, 2018 4:43 AM

You must trowel on the moisturizer and cosmetics if you are a female actor in any public outing. Because of malnutrition and eating disorders and endless layers of stage makeup, the majority of them have absolutely horrific complexions. I don't know if this is an unspoken rule, but my God, what absolutely terrible skin they have. I don't mean just wrinkles, I mean cystic acne and rosacea and all sorts of shit that women approaching middle age should not be dealing with. The men? Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 122September 21, 2018 4:47 AM

R108. Yes, again.

by Anonymousreply 123September 21, 2018 5:00 AM

R123, I'm dense because I disagreed with the poster who said Clooney's straight?

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2018 5:55 AM

When you see a big name at the grocery store, don’t act like a fan. Get your teeth fixed.

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2018 6:33 AM

R60 is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2018 6:35 AM

R125, What are you talking about? I have PERFECT looking teeth. Dentist was the same one employed by Simon Cowell to correct imperfections for the initial groups of American Idol Contestants. Haven't you seen my FB pictures, the ones taken sitting on Santa Clauses' lap and with the Easter Bunny? Everyone loves them.

I don't notice tabloid papers at the grocery store. In fact Sprouts doesn't sell them at all.

Yes I've met many, many stars in my life. Almost all were very kind and flirtatious. No, I'm not a "star fucker" nor have I ever been a "coke whore."

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2018 7:22 AM

R125, I really don't follow what you're saying. Happy to be out of Hollywood as I can't handle those who aren't honest. I detest liars.

by Anonymousreply 128September 21, 2018 7:26 AM

R122 Don't know about that, but one day I walked down the street next to a B actress and her skin was truly one of the worst I've ever seen. It's not necessariy visible on screen, though.

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2018 9:30 AM

R124. YES YES YES YES YES YES

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2018 12:14 PM

Network, network, network. In theory the casting director is going to remember you from that thing you did three years ago, think you're perfect for the part and champion giving you the role. In reality the producer is going to ask the casting director about the availability of whoever the producer ran into last night. Last person talked to, first person hired.

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2018 2:48 PM

The endless networking seven days a week in all situations is what makes people in LA so flaky, unreliable and disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2018 3:53 PM

The studio owns you.

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2018 4:10 PM

The studio system doesn't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2018 4:16 PM

^^^^ has no sense of humor or wit

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2018 4:18 PM

Well, r59, Martin Mull famously said that “Hollywood is high school with money.”

by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2018 4:21 PM

Some people might say that it’s really Harvey Levin that owns you.

by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2018 4:22 PM

I might as well have “property of MGM” tattooed on my backside!

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2018 4:24 PM

Most people are uneducated and talk about little other industry bullshit, what they've worked on, what they're going to work on, who they've worked with. Endless self-promotion that is a turn off.

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2018 4:28 PM

To the idiot who keeps wondering how DiCaprio got his power:

TITANIC. Ever heard of it? Ever notice anyone referencing it?

It was wildly popular in every corner of the globe to every generation. It gave DiCaprio a massive following in Asia that most Hollywood actors never achieve.

DiCaprio has good taste, too. He is selective about who he works with. He got in good with Scorsese and Nolan; some of the best directors in Hollywood.

Most in Hollywood re-use the people they’ve had good, working relationships with in future projects. DiCaprio and Scorsese are no different.

He is not messy in his personal life.

Why don’t you read that “power report” in the magazine if you really can’t see why?

by Anonymousreply 140September 21, 2018 4:33 PM

Hollywood is full of rotten, crooked lawyers...supplying the grease that makes the shitty movie business work.

They all think their lives are mysteries. But there isn't a dirty cover up in this entire business that I don't know about, and THEIR hands are in EVERY ONE of them... they REEK OF IT!

by Anonymousreply 141September 21, 2018 4:33 PM

Generally speaking, the more titles you have attached to your name the less successful you are. You are a “hyphenate”.

by Anonymousreply 142September 21, 2018 4:45 PM

R140 I’m not the one who originally asked about Leo, but I don’t think anyone was questioning HOW he would have obtained some power in Hollywood. The question was WHY he would still have it... Titanic was 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 143September 21, 2018 4:51 PM

^ not that Leo hasn’t had great box office successs after Titanic as well, but it’s still unclear to me as somebody not in the businsss how he would be considered to be currently among the MOST powerful.

by Anonymousreply 144September 21, 2018 4:56 PM

R130, I'm very pleased that you find me amusing. Although it's not practical for me to live in Hollywood, when I did I saw myself in the "Gracie Allen" straight comedic role.

by Anonymousreply 145September 21, 2018 5:09 PM

No offense, but you are going to make your head hurt trying to figure out why someone has or doesn’t have power. There is a logic to it, but it’s a logic that most people wouldn’t understand. There is a list of actors who can “open” a film and a list of actors who can get a project financed by just attaching their name to it. Leo is on both lists.

by Anonymousreply 146September 21, 2018 5:11 PM

In order to be an acceptable human you must be vegan. Preferably a Raw Vegan.

by Anonymousreply 147September 21, 2018 5:17 PM

The weird thing about Hollywood is that if you're genuinely interested in the history of film you couldn't be less interesting to people who work there, and vice-versa.

I have a cousin who works in the industry and he knows I'm interested in film, so he always wants to impress me with news of people about whom I couldn't care less, like Michael Bay and Gore Verbinski and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. And I'm interested in people with actual talent like Martin Scorsese and PT Anderson and Jessica Lange about whom he doesn't really care about, because they don't make much money (at least anymore). He thought it was unbelievable a few years back, for example, when i told him I had no interest in ever seeing any of the Transformers movies. "But you're so interested in film!"

by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2018 5:25 PM

[quote]The weird thing about Hollywood is that if you're genuinely interested in the history of film you couldn't be less interesting to people who work there, and vice-versa.

That's true in a lot of professions. It's the kiss of death in the railroad industry to admit you like trains. They don't hire rail fans and railroad employees have nothing but contempt for the people who stand there taking photos as the trains go by.

by Anonymousreply 149September 21, 2018 5:43 PM

[quote]The weird thing about Hollywood is that if you're genuinely interested in the history of film you couldn't be less interesting to people who work there, and vice-versa.

That's not surprising. The majority of people who work in film have no formal film education and look down on anyone who does; they consider "watching a lot of movies" as being educated about film. They lack a deeper understanding of the medium and its history.

When people use Tarantino (someone who didn't go to film school) as a proof that you can be a great filmmaker without a film degree they fail to understand that Tarantino is one of a kind talent that happens once in decades (obvious to anyone who studied film history). He is not the rule, he is the exception.

Most of people in business are in the business because they like the idea of having a film job.

The rarest breed are those with passion for cinema.

by Anonymousreply 150September 21, 2018 5:56 PM

r116 is just a knee-jerk social conservative who will hate on Hollywood regardless of what it does, r118.

Unless it conforms to every conflicting letter of Moses' Bronze Age scrolls and tablets and insulates her Beautiful Mind from reality, Hollywood will always be Satan's Helper to r116.

So pay her no mind. She can't handle the truth.

by Anonymousreply 151September 21, 2018 6:03 PM

Dear r143,

Go back and read my post. I DID include why DiCaprio still has it.

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2018 6:10 PM

Better yet, r52 can specify which "Power List" DiCaprio was on and you can read the article's reasons yourself.

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2018 6:17 PM

Very true R149. When people try to engage me in those kinds of conversations it's not that I don't "care" it's just not relevant to my right now? Does that make sense? I remember years ago when I was studying film there were people who were genuinely interested in film history and theory. They were great people but when we graduated they eventually fizzled out and/or failed at having careers because they couldn't create anything that your average everyday person would want to see. It's great that you want to create a project in the style of Fritz Lang's "M" but no one but you and people like you want to see that. (I work in the business end now so I'm a little different but even I knew that.)

[quote]Most people are uneducated and talk about little other industry bullshit, what they've worked on, what they're going to work on, who they've worked with. Endless self-promotion that is a turn off.

I've found the most interesting people are the ones who say the least about what they've worked on, what they're going to work on and who they've worked with.

[quote]Don't believe anything you read about actors/actresses. It's all bullshit put out by their PR people. Magazine articles, one on one interviews, its all staged.

Very true.

If you really want to hear a celeb at their least prepared then listen to a podcast like Marc Maron's WTF. I've found that those interviews are the ones where the interviewers usually stray from whatever PR prescribed junk celebs are used to talking about. You'll get stories you'll never hear the celebs tell because they're being asked questions they don't normally get asked and since they never get asked those questions they don't have a prepared response they're used to giving.

[quote]Some of the most troubled people are the ones that have the best public image. They just have better PR.

Also seconded, R13 and the rest of that "some" with the best public image are just boring people who somehow lucked into fame due to looks or connections.

by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2018 6:25 PM

if you are mentally ill, soulless, ruthless, a whore at heart and severely underweight... YOU MADE IT, KID!

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2018 6:38 PM

Hollywood - like any industry - works on networking. That's how actors of modest talents but giant ambitions like Clooney and DiCaprio get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2018 6:42 PM

It's better to come from money and be an above-it-all WASP when you get to LA. This attracts and energizes all the insecure people there. How else to explain the careers of basic bitches like the Rooney sisters? The Jews of Hollywood have always coveted the deep money and class of East Coast wasp families. They fall all over them. Spielberg did it twice: with the Kennedy/Marshall couple and later with his Dreamworks heads, Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald. Again, people will call out bigotry but this shit is real. Stay woke.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2018 6:57 PM

What actors or actresses are secretly mentally ill? Don't name obvious ones that everyone already knows are nuts

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2018 7:02 PM

Don't admit to being over 50 if you want to sell a script.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2018 7:03 PM

Schlomo Livshitz here again. R157 knows of what he speaks. However, it's not just about the money. We own and control all avenues of media from film to news to music. We're in your heads 24/7. We, therefore, control YOU TOO! We like it when you shiksa and shegetz go mashugana!

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2018 7:05 PM

DiCaprio has immense talent, as evidenced by "Blood Diamonds."

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2018 7:17 PM

Never let it be publicly known that you despise your fans.

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2018 7:20 PM

I hear getting peed on in a video is a great way to become A-list.

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2018 7:23 PM

Support a charity and pretend to care, deeply.

by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2018 7:24 PM

R162 has it right!

How could anyone expect me to ignore my fans, they're life and death to me, baby! They're the ones who really MADE ME!

by Anonymousreply 165September 21, 2018 7:34 PM

R157 of course means the Mara sisters. R154, into which category - troubled or boring - would you say Reese W. falls?

by Anonymousreply 166September 21, 2018 7:37 PM

The unspoken rule is that you can have a film that was the hit of all of Europe and Cannes, but the Hollywood suits won’t sell it well in this country. They are all NEGATIVE.

by Anonymousreply 167September 21, 2018 7:53 PM

GIANT ambition, R166

by Anonymousreply 168September 21, 2018 7:55 PM

There is a special back door for people like Reese - they're called "child stars" and they're whored out into the business at an excruciatingly young age. If you're willing to submit your child for a role where she gets finger-banged on a roller coaster, you're in! Child stars don't have to be Jewish... but it helps!

by Anonymousreply 169September 21, 2018 7:59 PM

R162 your comment reminded me of Ariana Grande. Remember when she ranted about how she hated all of her fans and then, a few months later ,the Manchester bombing happened? Lol

by Anonymousreply 170September 21, 2018 8:02 PM

[QUOTE]but it’s still unclear to me as somebody not in the businsss how he would be considered to be currently among the MOST powerful.

Because they're just people with no insider knowledge making stuff up. Hilarious that "insiders" can't actually answer questions about the things they claim, and instead try to use the "read the article" line. No, fool, you're the one pretending to know something the rest of us don't, so explain it to us yourself.

by Anonymousreply 171September 21, 2018 8:05 PM

Um, I gave my own explanation, r171.

But I still want to know what article r52 is referencing and what THEIR explanation was.

by Anonymousreply 172September 21, 2018 8:08 PM

And I contend you don't have to be an "insider" to know why Leonardo DiCaprio is popular.

by Anonymousreply 173September 21, 2018 8:09 PM

I am curious about an earlier post saying that David Russell isn't powerful. I wouldn't have guessed that.

by Anonymousreply 174September 21, 2018 8:11 PM

The Hollywood Reporter Power 100: 2018

Top Actor/Actresses - Producers, etc. *just plain actors/actresses

#18 Oprah Winfrey #38 Dwayne Johnson #39 Reese Witherspoon #42 Donald Glover #44 Ellen DeGeneres #48 Leo DiCaprio #54 Denzel Washington #55 Jordan Peele #57 Tyler Perry #65 Jennifer Lawrence* #68 Chris Pratt* #69 Kevin Hart #71 Ryan Reynolds #79 Tiffany Haddish* #87 Lin-Manuel Miranda #90 Will Ferrell #93 Meryl Streep* #94 Michael B. Jordan #96 Tom Cruise #99 Elizabeth Moss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 21, 2018 8:14 PM

R157 The Mara girls are Irish,Italian and Catholic! Kate looks like a NYC white ethnic from the burbs.

by Anonymousreply 176September 21, 2018 8:17 PM

Tiffany Haddish? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 177September 21, 2018 8:17 PM

I still don't understand how DiCaprio didn't get more flak for wiping his (actual) bloody hand on Kerry Washington's face in that Django Unchained scene. That's a no-no knowing his history.

by Anonymousreply 178September 21, 2018 8:20 PM

[quote]Leo has astonishing power.

Apparently, he's less powerful than Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 179September 21, 2018 8:39 PM

R175, Oprah is listed at number 18. She's really slipped. There was a time when, for a few years, she was consistently in the top five.

by Anonymousreply 180September 21, 2018 8:47 PM

[quote]#90 Will Ferrell #93 Meryl Streep* #94 Michael B. Jordan #96 Tom Cruise #99 Elizabeth Moss

Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise are behind Will Ferrell? And Elizabeth Moss is #99 even after Handmaid/s Tale? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 181September 21, 2018 9:39 PM

R102 Are you talking about his novel Pink?

by Anonymousreply 182September 21, 2018 10:06 PM

r146 is spot on; pls stop responding to r140. he, she , or it is a stupid ass bitch.

by Anonymousreply 183September 21, 2018 10:07 PM

I meant r143, r144

by Anonymousreply 184September 21, 2018 10:08 PM

R166 Rooney is dating Joaquin Phoenix. That can't be healthy. I also remember rumors about her being a cutter.

by Anonymousreply 185September 21, 2018 10:10 PM

R129 Who was it?

by Anonymousreply 186September 21, 2018 10:11 PM

Some French actress, not known internationally.

by Anonymousreply 187September 21, 2018 10:25 PM

Those power lists are PR developed nonsense created with a clear agenda in mind to drive traffic to their sites. The people with the true power are usually the names and faces you wouldn't recognize.

by Anonymousreply 188September 21, 2018 10:40 PM

^Kinda like those who really rule the world

by Anonymousreply 189September 21, 2018 10:42 PM

R160 I have an absolutely perfect mental image of Schlomo Livshitz.

by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2018 12:01 AM

"I keep hearing this and it continues to astonish me. Emma Stone, Cate Bl"anchett, Matt Damon, Natalie, Portman, these people have never had so much as a hiccup in their personal lives. I don't mean Damon being dumb when he opens his mouth about race or Harvey. I mean, look at Ben Affleck and others who are all kinds of messy."

Don't know about Emma Stone. Matt Damon had a few Affleck level cheating stories that came out in the tabloids (complete with dialogue transcription presumably from participants' cell phones) but nothing since then. My guess is he paid more money to kill the story than the stories got by running. And btw, it was more than one girl at a time. On the other side of the coin, haven't there been years' long rumors that he and Affleck are boyfriend and boyfriend?

Isn't Natalie Portman a homewrecker, stealing her milquetoast husband from his wife and becoming pregnant while he was still married? That was in the wake of "Black Swan"? Also the bullshit that she was able to dance at near-ballerina level in the movie. You can see from the damn poster that's more bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 191September 22, 2018 12:04 AM

I suspect the true Hollywood definition of "messy" is not someone whose personal life frightens the horses, but someone who stops trying to cover up their scandalous personal life!

From the beginning of Hollywood, the important thing has been keeping the scandals from going public, and apparently that's still the case.

by Anonymousreply 192September 22, 2018 12:08 AM

"Bob" DeNiro had or maybe still has a longstanding drug issue and can be a whackjob on sets for the crew. For example obsessing over something like a cat and insisting the cat be in every scene or nearby. I think that story got out. One that didn't is too small a story, but involves him obsessing over some suit he had worn somewhere, demanding the identical suit for the movie. Not the same TYPE of suit, but the exact same physical suit. The movie made a big show of tracking it down and they sewed a fake label into it and other fakery. I'm botching the specifics of this one but basically it involves wardrobe faking a suit DeNiro insisted was the ONLY suit in which he could perform the role, and he never caught on.

by Anonymousreply 193September 22, 2018 12:08 AM

My grandfather once cut DeNiros hair. Said he was quote :

" A real fucking princess."

by Anonymousreply 194September 22, 2018 12:12 AM

R193, what kind of drugs was DeNiro doing?

by Anonymousreply 195September 22, 2018 12:14 AM

R188 To drive traffic and surely also make a few extra bucks from celebs desperate enough to pay to be included.

by Anonymousreply 196September 22, 2018 1:06 AM

R178 Because it's a Tarantino film and he can get away with almost anything and Leo's character was meant to be as cruel and racist as they come. Leo said it was one of the most difficult parts he's ever played and he initially turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 197September 22, 2018 1:54 AM

Are there any regular jobs in Hollywood or does just about every job in some way relate to movies and TV? I mean I know there have to be office jobs and restaurant, hotel, driving and every kind of job but do they all in some way relate back to show biz?

by Anonymousreply 198September 22, 2018 1:57 AM

r150 people also forget that Tarantino's schooling comes from his obsessive love of films of all genres.

Some of the best filmmakers studied films in theaters and at home. Their passion and encyclopedic knowledge of film is what makes them great.

The rest they learn along the way.

by Anonymousreply 199September 22, 2018 6:17 AM

Quentin Tarantino was given up for adoption by Madame Puppet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 22, 2018 6:24 AM

How do you say “F-you in Hollywood.?” ——-“Let’s have lunch!”

by Anonymousreply 201September 22, 2018 6:28 AM

Or "Let's have lunch, sometime" - as in 'never'.

by Anonymousreply 202September 22, 2018 6:35 AM

(for R148)

R158 Though she's spoken about it candidly in a few interviews, I don't think "everybody knows" Jessica Lange has suffered from deep, sometimes debilitating depression since her youth.

Her father was a volatile, restless alcoholic who moved them around more than 15 times during her childhood. That, coupled with the fact that she's from "cold, expansive, lonely Minnesota", she says is what her melancholia and loneliness stems from.

I always found it so interesting and strangely reassuring that someone as beautiful (especially in her youth) and talented as she is could suffer from such dark moods and could talk about it.

I also admire what an acting powerhouse and legend she turned herself into despite having a deep aversion to the"Hollywood bullshit".

She picked herself up from a ridiculed debut, actively avoided relying on her looks and conquered all stations of the acting world (film, theater and television).

It's no wonder that "the greatest actress of all time", Meryl Streep, has expressed such severance for her.

by Anonymousreply 203September 22, 2018 6:35 AM

*reverence

by Anonymousreply 204September 22, 2018 6:37 AM

Every set is a caste system with the director and the principal actors as the kings and queens. It's gross to see the crew members fawning and laughing over their inane comments.

by Anonymousreply 205September 22, 2018 7:14 AM

Deniro's obsessive streak is no doubt what makes him a good actor. The cat thing? I assume you're referring to the cat in "Meet the Parents" - that shit was funny, so he was right on the money.

R198, there are plenty of "regular jobs" in Hollywood because it's still real life happening even though the main business is make believe. It's the beautiful people who flock to Hollywood in the pursuit of fame, so all your waiters/waitresses, secretaries, dept store sales people, cops, garbage collectors, etc are good looking people.

by Anonymousreply 206September 22, 2018 11:47 AM

The whole town is built on lost dreams.

by Anonymousreply 207September 22, 2018 1:15 PM

So which celebs are pretty widely known to be gay/bi, it’s just never talked about? And I don’t mean the ones every idiot can see like Jackman, Tammy et al. New names.

by Anonymousreply 208September 22, 2018 2:25 PM

(R208) and when we asked about celebs or "middle famous" nobody's answering!!! maybe that's why it's never talked about......Sometimes it feels like "there is an omertà" on Data lounge.

by Anonymousreply 209September 22, 2018 2:34 PM

[Quote] There is a special back door for people like Reese - they're called "child stars" and they're whored out into the business at an excruciatingly young age. If you're willing to submit your child for a role where she gets finger-banged on a roller coaster, you're in!

Wasn't Reese like 19/20 when she filmed Fear??

by Anonymousreply 210September 22, 2018 2:45 PM

Yes, r210, it sounds more like a description of Jodie Foster. For growing up there, she seems to have side stepped some of the pit falls like drug/alcohol problems.

by Anonymousreply 211September 22, 2018 3:34 PM

R194, I believe you. Lots of skeletons in De Niro's closet -- underage girls in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 212September 22, 2018 5:11 PM

r198, your kidding right. There are Dennys, benihanas, and pharmacies, and grocery stores in hollywood. Theres also dental offices, chiropractors, and gyms. Why would any of those things relate back to showbiz?

by Anonymousreply 213September 22, 2018 5:26 PM

r183 = sore about being called out for his own stupidity. She can't identify a place where I was wrong, however.

by Anonymousreply 214September 22, 2018 5:40 PM

Never mind. r184's correction makes sense now.

by Anonymousreply 215September 22, 2018 5:41 PM

by Anonymousreply 216September 23, 2018 10:58 AM

But where are the 'unspoken rules'?

by Anonymousreply 217September 23, 2018 12:38 PM

(R217) = Nowhere. I'm used to better though. This thread is a little bit boring.

by Anonymousreply 218September 23, 2018 12:48 PM

Metro LA has a population of 19 million people, of course most people living there have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. "Hollywood" is short-hand for "entertainment industry in LA." I've never been to LA and have no connection to the industry but I get the sense that people working in the industry don't actually call it Hollywood, that's something for the rubes like us. Hollywood is an actual neighborhood in LA that no longer has much connection to the industry.

by Anonymousreply 219September 23, 2018 3:07 PM

Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara are the most repulsive, icky couple in the history of ick.

by Anonymousreply 220September 23, 2018 3:23 PM

R220 Why?

by Anonymousreply 221September 23, 2018 3:30 PM

What about WeHo?

by Anonymousreply 222September 23, 2018 3:58 PM

R157, when you aren’t beholden to anyone, you become more attractive generally. Privilege and financial security are extremely attractive to people who covet the same thing. Add good looks into the mix, and you’re immune to most of the bullshit everyone else has to go through.

by Anonymousreply 223September 23, 2018 4:08 PM

Joaquin Phoenix and ANYONE is a creepy couple. Another fucking weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 224September 23, 2018 7:20 PM

If you want to be an actor, be from a rich or well-connected family.

God knows why this is a rule, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 225September 23, 2018 7:24 PM

If you want to be anything, be from a rich or well connected family.

God has clearly decided this should be a rule.

by Anonymousreply 226September 23, 2018 7:55 PM

The more excited the people in charge seem about your project, the more likely they are to just ghost you. It happened to me 3 times.

by Anonymousreply 227September 23, 2018 8:01 PM

Could someone give an English translation of R48's post?

by Anonymousreply 228September 23, 2018 8:06 PM

^true R227! And the more they insist your screenplay is just perfect, the more it'll go trough rewriting hell

by Anonymousreply 229September 23, 2018 8:07 PM

Surely, R228. R48 stated that "Everyone in Holloywood is too willing to sell gossip stories about one another. This is why major stars don't even bother to make Hollywood their home. They can't enjoy the peace an tranquility of home and hearth with the threat of other people being unable to mind their own affairs, thereby staying out of theirs. If any entertainment industry people - particularly the stars - desire to live a life reasonably free from intrusion, then they should move to NYC.

You're quite welcome, sonny.

by Anonymousreply 230September 23, 2018 8:18 PM

These aren’t “rules”, but an interesting and long interview with Nora Ephron about screenwriting.

The audio of the interviewer isn’t all that great, and he’s a bit of a bore, but thankfully you can hear Nora well. She answers the questions at length, adds a lot more than the guy even was asking for, and so it’s a pretty good interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231September 23, 2018 8:48 PM

I remember Dreams on Spec R231. It was a cool doc.

by Anonymousreply 232September 23, 2018 9:07 PM

[quote]If any entertainment industry people - particularly the stars - desire to live a life reasonably free from intrusion, then they should move to NYC.

What, then, does this say about the ones who choose to live in the LA fishbowl? Attention whores? Head cases? Drama queens?

by Anonymousreply 233September 24, 2018 5:51 PM

The celebrities that choose a life free from intrusion dont live in either place......both are too high profile and celebrity/paparazzi heavy.

by Anonymousreply 234September 24, 2018 5:54 PM

No one from Los Angeles ever refers to it as "L.A.".

by Anonymousreply 235September 24, 2018 6:00 PM

everyone refers to it as "L.A."

by Anonymousreply 236September 24, 2018 6:03 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 237September 24, 2018 6:12 PM

If you are the "diversity" hire in the writers room, do know that even though you are in a room with woke white progressives and democrats, they will still secretly resent you being there and give you all the "urban" parts to write, even though you went to Exeter and Yale just like they did and then complain when you don't get the "urban voice" right.

by Anonymousreply 238September 24, 2018 6:12 PM

R237 Do you also pronounce it with a heavy spanish accent?

by Anonymousreply 239September 24, 2018 6:21 PM

[quote] The Unspoken Rules of Hollywood

The pencil pushers (studio execs, talent agencies, PR handlers, the guys doing the statistics and polling, etc.) HATE creative types (actors, writers, etc.) for various reasons (resentment, jealousy, low self esteem, trouble controlling them, etc.). Some pencil pushers can be manipulated by saying things like "I'm NOTHING without you!" or they push / force / manipulate creative types to say that to them to affirm the pencil pusher's superiority.

Play by the rules = Get rewarded (more chances, for example)

Don't play by the rules / step out of line = Get punished (blacklisted, for example)

A fake image is like money in the bank even when there are no future gigs lined up (so you better not come out of the closet, because nobody is returning your calls today ... tomorrow is another day and another opportunity to get cast and maybe make it bigtime *caugh* Taylor Lautner *caugh*).

Join a pack or network (of like minded industry insiders) they will look out for each other fraternity style. But you better play by their rules as well as the Hollywood rules.

If you want to be successful leave your moral code at the door. Sure, recite some well meaning platitudes in interviews but you better have your knife and knee pads ready to get ahead (don't get caught and leave no evidence - including being secretly filmed for future blackmail purposes).

by Anonymousreply 240September 24, 2018 6:23 PM

The toughest rule is the one about friends. You will have tons of acquaintances, but true friends are rare.

by Anonymousreply 241September 24, 2018 6:30 PM

All that talk about Leo being this powerplayer in Hollywood and all I can think of is that (blind) item of one of his beards hearing him cry in the room next to hers.

by Anonymousreply 242September 24, 2018 6:33 PM

The casting couch isn’t how people get jobs. But the Trump/Stormy Daniels thing is a great example of how things really work. Trump supposedly kept mentioning that he would put her on the apprentice. She perceived him as somebody who had the power to do that. He didn’t. And even though sleeping together was not a quid pro quo, his own insecurity required him to keep incentivizing sexual relationship. He also told her he would buy her a condo in Trump Tower.

Point being that lots of actors fuck people they perceive to have power. And those in the “power position” make promises that are either explicit or implicit but they have no way of backing it up with action.

by Anonymousreply 243September 24, 2018 6:33 PM

[quote]^true [R227]! And the more they insist your screenplay is just perfect, the more it'll go trough rewriting hell

The reason why the non-creatives like to rip into a good piece of work is their own creative insecurity - if they have no notes they think it makes them look like they have nothing to contribute. The truth is, if you know what you are talking about then you are confident enough to let the work be.

But they always have notes, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 244September 24, 2018 6:39 PM

There are predators everywhere and that includes Hollywood where they make false promises for a casting couch session / favor or two.

Some Hollywood types (like Weinstein) use casting couch as a way to stroke their insecure ego. Hollywood is FULL of insecure people who try to stroke their ego by being a diva bitch to staff or pull stunts and get a cheap thrill when getting away with them. Toxic drama you can't escape and have to learn to live with and not let it get to you personally or else you spend most of your money on a shrink's couch.

by Anonymousreply 245September 24, 2018 6:40 PM

If you can't deal with the shit around you or the shit you've done ... take drugs, drink until you black out. Do anything to forget the shit that bothers you... but you better show up on time and do your job.

by Anonymousreply 246September 24, 2018 7:02 PM

[quote]Sure, recite some well meaning platitudes in interviews but you better have your knife and knee pads ready to get ahead (don't get caught and leave no evidence - including being secretly filmed for future blackmail purposes).

I continue to be amazed that anything can be kept under wraps, or devoid of evidence, in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 247September 24, 2018 7:43 PM

{quote] I continue to be amazed that anything can be kept under wraps, or devoid of evidence, in this day and age.

It's fairly easy to intimidate underlings with the threat of never getting a Hollywood related job ever again if they betray you and your so called trust.

by Anonymousreply 248September 24, 2018 7:47 PM

R86 why?

People can make things up and claim you said something you hadn't

by Anonymousreply 249September 24, 2018 7:48 PM

R102 isn't Gus an icon by now? I see him as part of the 'canon' of indie films.

by Anonymousreply 250September 24, 2018 7:51 PM

Why are so many of the powerful into screwing the underage?

What determined who Harvey actually got decent speaking roles vs who just got screwed?

by Anonymousreply 251September 24, 2018 7:52 PM

R118 true. Amazon, Netflix and many other players waiting behind the scenes

by Anonymousreply 252September 24, 2018 8:02 PM

R252, So will the CEO's & Board or investors of Amazon & Netflix start having casting clout?

by Anonymousreply 253September 24, 2018 8:07 PM

Hollywood is a money laundering machine. HW was the link between the mobsters and the ones that make the movies. Hence the perceived power. He's just a mobster.

by Anonymousreply 254September 24, 2018 9:02 PM

R248 Except who would want a Hollywood job? It's basically glorified prostitution. I used to think I wanted to be in the movies, until I realised what I really wanted to do was travel. So I travel. Hollywood is for wannabe whores with low self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 255September 24, 2018 9:04 PM

R237 Who th!e fuck ever says Los Angelean?

by Anonymousreply 256September 24, 2018 9:18 PM

R255, working in Hollywood is one of the few ways that people can make money by doing something creative. It's also an avenue to power and money. It will change with the times, but it's not going anywhere. There's tremendous appetite for content--even as feature films have devolved into live-action comic books, there's been a huge upsurge in limited series and streaming platforms. From my outsider perspective it seems like there are fewer bankable stars, but, at the same time, more acting jobs and more writing/directing opportunities.

Someone in the know feel free to correct me.

by Anonymousreply 257September 24, 2018 9:26 PM

R18... So they love you, if you're a big money maker for them .. but, deep down, they still hate you..

by Anonymousreply 258September 24, 2018 9:27 PM

R256, Fantasia Barino? She might find the rudity of your tone to the specifical point of the issuance to be the height of perpexicality.

by Anonymousreply 259September 24, 2018 9:36 PM

Los Angeleno

by Anonymousreply 260September 24, 2018 9:37 PM

"Hollywood is a money laundering machine. HW was the link between the mobsters and the ones that make the movies. Hence the perceived power. He's just a mobster."

Is this true?

Is that how films get financed?

by Anonymousreply 261September 24, 2018 10:14 PM

[quote]Why are so many of the powerful into screwing the underage?

I don't think this is more of an issue in the entertainment industry versus other industries, but I will add this for you to consider. Creative types weren't always the popular kids in school. So... growing up when the popular kids were dating and going to parties and hooking up, they were not or if they were they were getting action from the best they could manage to pull. And we all know that when a lot of people achieve power of some sort, the number of people who want to be around them increase which means their options for better, fresher, younger sexual partners also increases.

I'm not sure if you mean, literally, underage, because I don't think their are a greater number of pedophiles in Hollywood than anywhere else. Everyday there is someone new, younger, and fresher coming to town, so of course you are going to see creatives with younger partners.

by Anonymousreply 262September 24, 2018 10:25 PM

There are many reasons why pedos are pedos. When it comes to higher ups usually it's about affirmation of power sexually assaulting / the power of corrupting kids and getting away with it.

Our society breeds insecurity that expresses itself in so many destructive ways. Insecure people fight their way to the top and make everybody else around them miserable with their demands for attention, loyalty and worship. And those who fail to rise to the top are even angrier and lash out at those who believe stand in their way to true greatness. Pedophilia is one expression of that obsession to feel worthy and superior.

by Anonymousreply 263September 24, 2018 10:46 PM

R219: you are correct. Most people I know who work in the biz here refer to it as "the industry". Hollywood is the area itself, which even a lot of locals used to call Hollyweird. The epithet referred to the druggies and other assorted nutjobs hustling there when it was a dirty, run-down area. Parts of it are still sleazy, but it's nowhere near as cracked out as it used to be.

r237: Most of us in the Valley refer to downtown as L.A. So do my friends in K Town. Maybe it's just those of you living in L.A. proper who don't say it.

by Anonymousreply 264September 25, 2018 4:06 AM

R241 What a depressing thought. Does anyone in this town have a soul?

by Anonymousreply 265September 25, 2018 3:33 PM

Is Amy Adams ruthless? Any gossip on her?

by Anonymousreply 266September 26, 2018 11:39 AM

R266 there was a poster on a different thread that said she was mentally ill but they refused to go into details. She is a pretty good actress though.

by Anonymousreply 267September 26, 2018 11:50 AM

r101, It's the "if women are fuckable or not troll". He pops up from time to time.

ALWAYS be nice to your PAs- they inevitably become producers and directors.

by Anonymousreply 268September 26, 2018 11:53 AM

If you're a director who really wants to make art or a good story, stay independent, like Danny Boyle or David Cronenberg.

If you're a successful indie director, and you get hired to direct a giant budgeted film in a franchise or a comic book film, you will have 1% creative input- those movies are created by committees- and your ego will be crushed to smithereens. You will make very little money even if the film is successful.

by Anonymousreply 269September 26, 2018 12:00 PM

[quote]Don't believe anything you read about actors/actresses. It's all bullshit put out by their PR people. Magazine articles, one on one interviews, its all staged.

Is it staged on the front end, like media training and an agreed-upon list of what will and won’t be discussed? Or are there any publicists who actually have the clout to review something before it’s released (like Pat Kingsley back in the day)?

And what happens if a loose-cannon celebrity goes off script?

by Anonymousreply 270September 26, 2018 12:05 PM

r269.

I think the biggest problems with newbie directors and writers is that they don't realize that the higher ups aren't interested in their previous work, but the creditbility (reputation) they can bring to the blockbuster project. Those newbies believe the producers' "We love YOUR work! And we want YOU to write / direct / act in our next feature!" lies and then get their hopes and expectations crushed and feel demoralized (and exploited?) by the experience by being the higher ups' dance monkey.

Directors and writers should do big projects for the money (and listen to what the higher ups want from them and deliver) to finance their own pet projects and use their mainstream connections (like PR marketing) to give the indie project a bigger, more profitable, push. Actors (and established directors and writers) do that for ages.

by Anonymousreply 271September 26, 2018 12:53 PM

Sorry,

I think the biggest problem with newbie directors ..., but the credibility they can bring to the blockbuster project.

by Anonymousreply 272September 26, 2018 12:58 PM

I wish my dad had told me all of this before he sent me to Harvey's studio. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 273September 26, 2018 6:41 PM

R267 I have never heard the mentally ill thing, but she seems like an ice princess.

by Anonymousreply 274September 26, 2018 7:53 PM

Don't get mad. Get everything.

by Anonymousreply 275September 26, 2018 8:15 PM

R263 you need help. Book yourself an appointment with a therapist

by Anonymousreply 276September 26, 2018 8:43 PM

You hear so many actors give interviews about how they got into acting for love of the craft, they’d do it even if it never paid a dime, this is what they were born to do, bla bla bla. I have a hard time believing that anyone derives real joy from this industry. Money, power, sex and a lot of other perks, sure. I just don’t see how it is possible to make it as an actor and be truly happy in the process.

by Anonymousreply 277September 27, 2018 12:23 AM

I learned this lesson in Hollywood working with talent. These people are not your friends. No matter how nice they are, how star struck you are..they will fuck you over if they get the chance.

by Anonymousreply 278September 27, 2018 12:37 AM

What was your role in Hollywood, R278?

by Anonymousreply 279September 27, 2018 11:47 AM

There’s another great thread going right now that is about Los Angeles in a more general sense - but a lot of it is applicable to Hollywood too. One very eloquent poster described it as “the junction where postmodern fantasy meets the realities of the material world” or along those lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 27, 2018 7:50 PM

R280 Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 281September 27, 2018 8:03 PM

What about rock singers? country singers? soap actors? Broadway actors? voice over actors?

Do the unspoken rules apply to them or just the tv/film industry?

by Anonymousreply 282September 27, 2018 9:41 PM

I imagine they have their own rules for playing the game, R282. Especially in the music industry, which is equally cutthroat, just in different ways.

by Anonymousreply 283September 28, 2018 12:18 AM

r279 is. what is my role. I work in PR.

by Anonymousreply 284September 28, 2018 1:21 AM

R284 Thanks! Can you shed any light on my question at R270?

by Anonymousreply 285September 28, 2018 1:51 AM

Not r284, but celebs, who apparently require someone else handling their media business affairs because they can't be trusted by going off script when on their own, have a handler present during the promo tour to deal (sometimes as the middle man or woman) with the press in order to make sure the celebrity stays on message and on brand.

by Anonymousreply 286September 28, 2018 1:56 AM

so R284... you must have learned a lot more than they'll fuck you over. How much control does PR have over media?

by Anonymousreply 287September 28, 2018 1:57 AM

Is Anjelica Huston still head witch?

by Anonymousreply 288September 28, 2018 2:03 AM

I will give you some understanding of how it works:

For example, years ago Tarantino was on Howard Stern. The first thing Stern asked him was -- because he knew QT was in NYC for promo -- who he's talked to ... Tarantino said he did Charlie Rose the day before. Stern said "Did they give you the questions?" Meaning, did Rose' show people give QT the questions he was going to be asked beforehand so he could prepare answers for them.

Another is watch Downey and Martin Bashir. When Bashir brings up Downey's father giving him drugs Downey looks to his left several times, then back to Bashir, then back to his left. He has a frozen surprised smile on his face. He is looking at his publicist/handler whatever you want to call it. And then he says "I thought we were promoting a movie here." Then Downey's is taken out of the interview by his handlers and they leave abruptly mid interview.

That's how it be going down.

by Anonymousreply 289September 28, 2018 2:21 AM

If you're a man in Hollywood you have to pee sitting down.

by Anonymousreply 290September 28, 2018 2:34 AM

Thanks, R289! I’ll have to see if I can dig up a clip of that Downey interview.

by Anonymousreply 291September 28, 2018 11:50 AM

I've watched that Downey itw. Frankly, I don't know what possessed the interviewer to go there (ratings). It's not his fault that RDJ had a shitty father. I thought he handled it well, considering the shitty question that it was, and was frankly surprised his handlers didn't take him out of there faster.

by Anonymousreply 292September 28, 2018 12:01 PM

I’m interested in the actors who bring it on themselves by actively choosing to say provocative/cringey/tone deaf things in live interviews. At that point, if you’re the PR, do you just throw up your hands and plan for the damage control?

by Anonymousreply 293September 28, 2018 12:12 PM

You mean non-entities like Jeremy Piven? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

by Anonymousreply 294September 28, 2018 12:47 PM

I’m thinking more like Damon and his insufferability.

by Anonymousreply 295September 28, 2018 12:50 PM

Lord, his tone-deafness has signed the end of a career that thrived on his representing the "decent" straight white guys in a world where only straight white guys got a say on anything. Now nobody cares how decent he is or was or was not, since other people want to speak too and are taking the mic! He doesn't get it. He used to speak *for* these people, wasn't that enough?

by Anonymousreply 296September 28, 2018 1:03 PM

R289, do you mean kind of like this kind of thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297September 28, 2018 7:52 PM

Mostly the press lives and dies off of PR. if you want access you have to play. You want that Brad Pitt cover? do a feature on my guy Larry here with the third lead in a new Fox sitcom. We need the press as much as they need us but never piss of a PR person. I have learned a ton but the best lesson was the one I posted. People who work in Hollywood behind the scenes make the fatal flaw of thinking actors are their friends. They are your bffs when they want something and complete assholes if you want something. I will give you an example. I had a client, TV star who wanted to break into country music. She asked me to get her press for her showcase, which in the context of my job, wasn't really my job but I thought, she's my friend sure! I worked my ass off, I had two networks cover it, got her morning show appearances, an article about it, you name it I pulled out the stops for her. She would call me daily with problems, the venue, is this person coming, I need to get an AnR guy there...blah blah blah. It got to the point my boss was getting pissed because I was working so hard at something that was essentially not my job. Cut to the day of the showcase, I show up two hour early, arrange the press line, interviews, seating, everything. You would have thought Madonna was doing a live show the amount of flash bulbs going off when she arrived. Show goes great, cheers, interviews, gets on ET even. The evening ends and walking out she says "well thanks for coming." I thought wtf? Lady I busted my ass for you and I got a thanks for coming? She got real demanding real quick. I had to tell her I was not her personal publicist, that I worked for the show. She tried to get me fired. All this in a week. My boss just told me "see I told you they will fuck you over in a heart beat."

by Anonymousreply 298September 28, 2018 9:22 PM

Yep R298. Actually this is true in all lines of work. Never, ever do anything that's not your job and that your boss doesn't approve - you'll eventually be punished for it.

Sorry about that cunt actress, I would have pulled all stops too when I was younger. I've learned now.

by Anonymousreply 299September 28, 2018 9:34 PM

R298, name her.

by Anonymousreply 300September 28, 2018 10:35 PM

Who gives a fuck R300, some actress from a TV show who wanted to go into country music. Do you watch TV? Do you like country music? Who cares

by Anonymousreply 301September 28, 2018 10:39 PM

At first I thought r298 was referring to Minnie Driver, but she was better known for her movies back then (Circle of Friends, Good Will Hunting). Same goes for Linsay Lohan. The only other female celeb I know who did some music was Married With Children's Katey Sagal.

by Anonymousreply 302September 28, 2018 10:40 PM

The girl from heroes (a cheerleader I think?) who was in a country music tv show? Haden something

by Anonymousreply 303September 28, 2018 10:43 PM

Reese Witherspoon Revealed She Was Sexually Assaulted by a Director at 16

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 28, 2018 10:52 PM

Half of Hollywood is gay, yet in movies gay men don't exist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 28, 2018 10:58 PM

R298, you shall be vindicated.

by Anonymousreply 306September 28, 2018 11:16 PM

How is the former “King of New Hollywood”, Robert Evans, viewed by current Hollywood?

(Any young studio execs or producers following his playbook?)

by Anonymousreply 307September 28, 2018 11:46 PM

Are writers still treated like “the lowest of the low” on the creative totem pole in Hollywood?

(I remember even Aaron Sorkin saying that writers are treated like shit by the industry—no matter how successful they are—and always have people in power trying to screw them over)

by Anonymousreply 308September 28, 2018 11:56 PM

R301, calm down, dear.

by Anonymousreply 309September 29, 2018 12:18 AM

Were the accusations that Gal Gadot shamed a rape victim true? Did her PR make it go away?

by Anonymousreply 310September 29, 2018 12:44 AM

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 311September 29, 2018 3:57 AM

I worked for years for a fashion celeb you would all know, and I had never had a celeb in my life before. Omifuckingod it is horrible, horrible. You catch them in every lie (I would rather not have) because they are popped everywhere with time stamps on pix, page six covers purchases, etc etc. They get insane delusional ideas that they are hugely gifted in completely unrelated fields, and they have dozens of yes men, many taking big money, who encourage the scary delusions. No one ever says no to anything. It is like they are always falling thru space. They have thousands of people in their lives, all hoping for some personal advancement, and more are always coming, but they never see that they are being used: just take it as a sign of their own specialness. The yes men will bad mouth you to the celeb to get closer to her. No one, even people with PhDs or nuns or heads of state, acts normal or honest with this person, but she has no idea. And honest remarks have no value. To say that was interesting means nothing when hundreds of people are lined up saying that was the most profound statement in the history of the world. Also, reading the same lying stories in 100 magazines is soul destroying,

I cannot begin to tell any of you how fuckinf unpleasant having a medium sized celeb in your life is. Oh, and when you part ways, you never escape when they continue to appear on the cover of mags, etc.

by Anonymousreply 312September 29, 2018 4:45 AM

This one's not just true for Hollywood.

When you are successful and make people money people will humor your crazy diva demands and antics and ignore certain character flaws. But when the stardom is fading people will no longer return your calls and you will get a lot of "you know I've never liked you and approved of you and your ..." / "remember the time you humiliated me / fucked me over / stole my idea / fucked my boyfriend, girlfriend, parent, husband, or best friend? Karma's a bitch!".

by Anonymousreply 313September 29, 2018 6:09 AM

Know your place and know who you can fuck with (those who will never make it) and those you shouldn't (those who will make it before you and remember you fucking wit them).

by Anonymousreply 314September 29, 2018 6:32 AM

I’m interested to know how far money goes in Hollywood in getting what you want, or covering up what you want to keep hidden. In other words, is it common to pay people off? Or is the currency that means most more along the lines of what someone said upthread: the threat of being blacklisted?

by Anonymousreply 315September 29, 2018 8:10 PM

Hollywood is filled with crazy people with weaknesses. Some like to get bribed, some like to be showered with compliments, some like to be peed on, etc. It's an artform in itself to maneuver through all these egomaniacs and find the right button to push at the right time in order to get what you want. Money can be of use with some and with some they just roll their eyes at you and dismiss you as trash. Of course they'll take your money, but they will not help you much.

by Anonymousreply 316September 29, 2018 8:16 PM

Minnie Driver?

Penelope Cruz?

Jordana Brewster?

by Anonymousreply 317September 29, 2018 8:34 PM

Women (and to a lesser degree, men) readily give up sex for parts or advancement. It's as common here as bottled water. Half of the Hollywood metoo-ers were party girls who couldn't give it away fast enough to anyone that could help their careers. No judgments, that's just how it is/was. Things may be changing now as everyone's walking on eggshells.

When you go to parties (particularly the bigger ones), everybody tries to face the doors to see who's coming in. People will literally stop talking to you mid-sentence if they see someone deemed bigger.

Studio and network execs hate creative types, particularly writers. It almost always comes from jealousy. If they could be writers, they would be writers. No kid grows up and dreams of giving notes.

The studios/networks always demand something different until you actually give it to them.

People only offer to help you when they know you don't need help. When you do need it, forget it.

The more progressive a the persona, the shittier they treat the crew.

I've seen this a good thousand times as my career has had lotsa ups and downs. Somebody blows you off. Former showbiz BFF totally cuts you out of their life. Absolutely ghosts you. Then you start working again. When they see you or contact you, they proactively say "why didn't you return my calls? I was so hurt, etc." They totally gaslight you. And with a conviction and dedication that's truly Oscar worthy.

An absolutely ruthless shitty place. But you can make an incredibly good living with power and prestige just for playing dress up all day. Deep down, we know we're do something completely frivolous and can be replaced in a heartbeat. Hence the desperation and insecurity. I fucking hate it.

by Anonymousreply 318September 29, 2018 9:08 PM

R318, If you get blown off so quickly, how do you start working again? Your agent keeps sending stuff out? A few people do still return your calls?

by Anonymousreply 319September 29, 2018 9:19 PM

Studio and network execs hate creative types, particularly writers. It almost always comes from jealousy. If they could be writers, they would be writers. No kid grows up and dreams of giving notes.

This times a thousands.

by Anonymousreply 320September 29, 2018 9:34 PM

I often wonder if the screenwriters in Hollywood are really as bad as their movies turn out to be or if the original drafts of their stories were actually really brilliant and the studio kept adding more and more cooks to the kitchen and giving them so many notes and rewrites until it became a mess. God knows I've seen movies where that's clearly the case, but sometimes, I feel like "well, that idea sounded dumb in the first place, so I doubt the original draft could have been much better."

I think it's definitely true what someone else said about the execs asking for something new, daring, and different and then being appalled when you actually give them something that fits that criteria.

by Anonymousreply 321September 29, 2018 10:26 PM

There's a book written by the guy who wrote Groundhog Day where he describes the process in his case for that particular screenplay. It's very interesting to see where it went, though it doesn't really apply to this thread as it's actual creative process, also it's more NY and less LA.

by Anonymousreply 322September 29, 2018 10:37 PM

David Mamet said two things that you should always remember: "Here in Hollywood are the stupidest Jews in the history of the world" and "You will most definitely need to see a proctologist."

by Anonymousreply 323September 30, 2018 12:30 AM

[quote]I often wonder if the screenwriters in Hollywood are really as bad as their movies turn out to be or if the original drafts of their stories were actually really brilliant and the studio kept adding more and more cooks to the kitchen and giving them so many notes and rewrites until it became a mess.

One of the first things you learn as a screenwriter is to never fall in love with your work. There isn't a movie made that doesn't go through multiple changes between script and screen. And, unless you're someone with the juice to get it in your contract, there is no obligation to the original writer to get the opportunity to participate in the rewrites or even be consulted on the changes.

by Anonymousreply 324September 30, 2018 12:50 AM

That’s depressing, R324.

Especially when producers and directors are often given so much power and deference...

by Anonymousreply 325September 30, 2018 12:53 AM

r325, Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 326September 30, 2018 1:00 AM

Bitches, plural. Because you two Boston faggots didn't write Good Will Hunting. Don't ask me how I know.

by Anonymousreply 327September 30, 2018 3:30 AM

The one thing to remember is actors have sense of entitlement. I remember when Camille Grammar was on Real Housewives and she was explaining that Kyle was on a lower level than she was, because of the Hollywood hierarchy. That so describes what it is like. Actors get treated like shit by producers and directors and casting and anyone above them in the hollywood food chain. The second they get an ounce of fame, they will treat anyone they think is lower than them like shit. I am the one who does PR. I had a producer call me who NEVER asked for anything and I actually did like, ask me if I could get tickets to some parade at Christmas for her. I said I would try. I called the parade organizer and said who i was, and what show my producer produced and if it was at all possible to get comp tickets. This is the response I got "I am sure that person makes a lot of money and can afford to buy tickets to the parade like everyone else." Ohh bitch. She did not just say that. LOL. I said thank you very much and hung up. I called my producer, she laughed and said "actually I just wanted to see if you could get them for me, I was going to pay I was just not sure who to go through." Best part - that same person calls my office the next day with amnesia. "Hi we would LOVE to have XXXX be in our parade this year." I said "how much does it pay?" They were taken aback. I said "I'm sure that parade generates a lot of money and you can afford to pay the talent.". She tells me no one gets paid it is an honor to be in the parade. "okay thanks bye!"

by Anonymousreply 328September 30, 2018 3:31 AM

Maybe I misunderstood your story, but what was so wrong with what the parade organizer said?

by Anonymousreply 329September 30, 2018 3:34 AM

Yeah R328, you're the one who sounds like the entitled asshole in that story.

by Anonymousreply 330September 30, 2018 3:39 AM

r329 - Because these are people who come to us for talent. Typically if I called any A list clients and said: "do you want to sit on a float for 4 hours and wave?" I would be fired. If they are nice, and most of them are, I can usually get a B-Lister to show up and do it. Some talent like doing these things, other hate it. Usually the ones they want, are the ones I can never get for them. It is good for them to maintain a good relationship with they people they ask to do things for them. So if I call and ask for two comp tickets, the easier answer is "i would love to but we are out of comps" or "oh I am sorry this is for charity so we are not comping I hope you understand." Keep in mind I already knew they infact did comp for that parade because I have gotten them before. I don't mind being told no, i do it all the time, but that response was shitty.

by Anonymousreply 331September 30, 2018 3:44 AM

Sounding like an even bigger asshole now.

by Anonymousreply 332September 30, 2018 3:47 AM

r332 - Let me put it this way - if you come to me year after year asking for something for nothing and I deliver, year after year, with a smile on my face and the one time I ask you for something and you tell me to go fuck myself, what do you think my response should be?

by Anonymousreply 333September 30, 2018 3:52 AM

It isn't something for nothing though is it? Your clients are getting publicity from being at the parade. After all, if your clients weren't getting anything out of it, you wouldn't agree to send them. So, no, the parade organiser doesn't owe you anything, as you're both getting something out of it.

Besides which, they didn't tell you to go fuck yourself, they told the producer to go fuck him/herself. You're just being a pissy little bitch because apparently you think you can name drop the producer and people should worship you.

My favourite part of the story, though, is where the producer treated you like an assistant. Did he/she also ask you to pick up their dry cleaning?

by Anonymousreply 334September 30, 2018 3:57 AM

The way I see it, R331, you didn't have to insert yourself in that story, you just wanted to cause a riff. And the producer should have just paid for the tickets instead of asking to be comped. Why not pay for something that you can afford instead of asking for freebies.

by Anonymousreply 335September 30, 2018 3:58 AM

cause a rift ^^^

by Anonymousreply 336September 30, 2018 4:02 AM

For someone who asked if the kowtowing is the same in music as in movies, and it is. I was a country music writer for about 20 years, and, I assure you, writers will do what they have to to get a song recorded. There was one particular singer whom I was writing with a lot. She had a major label deal, she was gorgeous, she had tons of stage presence, but SHE COULD NOT SING. Her pitch was appalling. When she sang in the studio, we would all tell her how great she was, but, the truth it, she was appalling. She could not hit one single not. When she asked to hear it back, we would play it through autotune, so she would not hear how badly out of town it was. We blew smoke up her ass for the simple reason that we wanted her to think she sounded great so she would put the song on her cd. And, if everyone around her was telling her how great she was, how would she know otherwise? When you are in a position like that, you will b surrounded by people who want something from you.

I recently read Belinda Carlisle's memoir. . When she left the GoGos, she worked with a writer/producer whose name I can't recall right now. Belinda writes in her book how she had never been someone's muse before, and she had never had anyone write with her in mind, and how honored she felt by that. She is so naive. The writer told her he wrote the song for her in order to get it recorded, and told her that she was his muse, only to get BC to like the song more. I was shocked at how naive Belinda was. I thought she would have been more cynical about the process, and realized the writer told her what every writer tells a singer whom they want to record one of their songs.

I stopped writing, because it was just so despicable, and I didn't want to lose my soul and puff people up like that. I was uncomfortable with the entire industry. So, yes, music is similar to movies in a lot of way.

by Anonymousreply 337September 30, 2018 4:22 AM

Much of the horseshit posted in this thread sounds like its been lifted right out of a Jackie Collins novel - including some repeat nutter who keeps insisting Leonardo Dicaprio is the most powerful person in Hollywood! What a load of absolute bullshit.

I'm not talking about your post R337 - just all the wishful thinking fanfiction going on in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 338September 30, 2018 5:54 AM

I got your story the first time R331. The parade person was being cunty with their response and was basically setting up a situation where future mutual favors would not be ideal for your firm.

Bad business decision all around on their part.

by Anonymousreply 339September 30, 2018 7:01 AM

Love how you handled it, R328 :D

by Anonymousreply 340September 30, 2018 8:34 AM

R339 is right.

by Anonymousreply 341September 30, 2018 9:16 AM

Some people get it :D - Producers treat me like an assistant all the time. They can, I work for them. This particular person never asked me for anything and treats me like a human so when she asked for something I was happy to try. One producer goes to Hawaii every year and then asks me to get him an interview to do in Hawaii so he can write the trip off. Smart I guess

by Anonymousreply 342September 30, 2018 12:49 PM

We had an Argentinian professor when I worked at a mid-size university, he would travel to Argentina several times a year - always paid by the uni because he found some symposium or whatever to attend there.

by Anonymousreply 343September 30, 2018 1:12 PM

Is it considered an open secret around town as to who’s gay/bi, closeted, bearding, in a PR showmance, etc?

by Anonymousreply 344September 30, 2018 3:33 PM

And R343??

by Anonymousreply 345September 30, 2018 5:00 PM

[quote]The parade person was being cunty with their response

The parade person said what DL-ers say all the time - the entitlement of the people in positions of power, who also have more money than most, has no limits. Except, that person expressed it at work, and we do it anonymously here.

by Anonymousreply 346September 30, 2018 5:01 PM

Anyone who suggests Leo doesn't wield substantial power shouldn't be taken seriously and doesn't work in the industry. He has more power than any actor or actress combined in history, no way around it. Of course he's not the most powerful person in the entertainment industry he's not Bob fucking Iger but he's got heavy heavy heavy juice. He can take any role he wants and that alone is special and his presence in a project means instant green lighting and heavy money. He is to movies what Sinatra was at his peak to music -- it's his show everyone else is below him.

The word is CLOUT.

by Anonymousreply 347September 30, 2018 7:00 PM

Sigh.... And then you go and post something stupid like, "He has more power than any actor or actress combined in history, no way around it." Sorry, hun, but it was bullshit the first time and it remains bullshit now.

by Anonymousreply 348September 30, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote]Is it considered an open secret around town as to who’s gay/bi, closeted, bearding, in a PR showmance, etc?

People, for the most part, know who's gay and who isn't. It's not big secret. However, I would like to point out that DL has an over inflated idea of the number of gay actors in the industry.

There are plenty of us on the creative side and we're well represented in the crafts. But the truth is most gay actors go to New York and are on the stage. They want to work in theatre. A lot of the people DL thinks are closeted, really aren't gay.

by Anonymousreply 349September 30, 2018 8:08 PM

R347 And yet you still don't explain why he has this power. So many patronising posts from people insisting Leo is so powerful, and yet no explanations. Almost as if you lot have no clue yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 350September 30, 2018 8:34 PM

[quote] I would like to point out that DL has an over inflated idea of the number of gay actors in the industry.

LOL!

Be careful, you may get shot down here on the DL, because here everyone in gay, even when it is obvious that they are not.

by Anonymousreply 351September 30, 2018 8:39 PM

Basics have one hell of a headshot and quarter body shot.Wear a shirt that makes your eyes standout. When you go into read for a role don’t practice in the cds office.Come into the have a seat and watch and listen how everyone goes about reading their script.Then you go in and one up them.Slate and look right into the camera and fix your eyes and take a deep breath and give your performance.Dont overact and don’t be extra loud.Get a tape recorder and listen to yourself .And get a hand held mirror and watch yourself deliver the lines. Leo D is a natural it’s very hard to describe him .Hes like a cool billy dee Williams.The other person that has that it factor is the guy that use to be on married with children he’s African American .Sorry for the sloppiness I’ve been on set all day but if I can answer a few questions let me know

by Anonymousreply 352October 1, 2018 1:11 AM

R328. I have no clue why people are getting mad at you, please don't be discouraged from sharing.

by Anonymousreply 353October 1, 2018 1:33 AM

I have no dog in this fight, but I don't understand the people getting bent out of shape about Leo. Does it really matter if he has power or not? And he does, is his having power better or worse than anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 354October 1, 2018 1:38 AM

He’s personable he has a nice charity he’s a director.Hes bankable ,loves the earth and planet and it’s causes.Keep in mind that he crossed over from child actor..He loves models and turns up everywhere in LA including Coachella.Word is he’s getting married soon.

by Anonymousreply 355October 1, 2018 1:56 AM

[R118] What are these rumours about a major power shake up in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 356October 1, 2018 5:52 AM

Always save your money. If you land a hit TV series and it runs for nearly a decade. And you end up making $1 million dollars per episode. Save and invest smart in real estate, art, or start some kind of ecommerce business like goop.

Same thing if your a movie star. Bank those $15/$25 million dollar checks. And invest wisely. You never know when everything could end and go to shit.

Therefore you'll never have to be desperate for roles or money. Unless you're just looking for attention. Which I believe most people are after the $$$$$.

Hollywood, it's a funny place.

by Anonymousreply 357October 1, 2018 7:05 AM

More gossip please, crew guy R352!

Who on earth is Leo alleged to be thinking of marrying??

by Anonymousreply 358October 1, 2018 9:20 AM

You mean Harold Sylvester, R352?

by Anonymousreply 359October 1, 2018 10:09 AM

[quote]Is it considered an open secret around town as to who’s gay/bi, closeted, bearding, in a PR showmance, etc?

Yes they are out in the industry but not to public

by Anonymousreply 360October 1, 2018 10:56 AM

I still can't believe Melissa Leo wields this kind of power.

by Anonymousreply 361October 1, 2018 11:18 AM

It's because of the John Heard connection, r361. He wielded enormous power

by Anonymousreply 362October 1, 2018 11:19 AM

Leo’s girlfriend is Camila Morrone

by Anonymousreply 363October 1, 2018 11:26 AM

^ She's not his gf she's a beard

by Anonymousreply 364October 1, 2018 11:29 AM

Some of them want to use you ,some of them want to be used by you.

by Anonymousreply 365October 1, 2018 11:30 AM

[quote]But the truth is most gay actors go to New York and are on the stage. They want to work in theatre.

Really? You know better than I do, of course, but I had never heard this. Obviously the number of out gay actors in theatre is higher than in Hollywood. I’m just surprised to hear that’s what most of them strive for.

by Anonymousreply 366October 1, 2018 11:50 AM

I love this thread.

Who are the b list actors in TV who we'd be surprised by their cuntiness?

I always wonder about long running shows behind the scenes, about who can't stand each other, who are nasty to the help etc. They all pretend to love each other, but that has to be bs right? Especially after a decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 367October 1, 2018 12:26 PM

R361 for the win

by Anonymousreply 368October 1, 2018 2:31 PM

The intellectual/musical/artistic are in NY doing theatre and the occasional Law & Order gig. Do we still have L&O? Haven't watched television in a while.

The superficial/materialistic/mega-ambitious-driven/fucked-up/addicted/vapid/attention-whores are in LA.

Take your pick.

The name stars who have some sense left in them live in their ranch somewhere far from the coasts. They travel for work.

by Anonymousreply 369October 1, 2018 2:35 PM

Movies I’d say will smith.

by Anonymousreply 370October 1, 2018 4:29 PM

Years ago Marty Scorsese was talking to Jon Favreau on Dinner for Five about The Aviator and he said "the only reason the movie got made was not because of me or Michael Mann producing it -- it was all because of Leo Di Caprio's clout in Hollywood."

How he got this power? Aside from the fact that he's a very likable guy compared to say, a gutter rodent like Depp or a wacko like Cruise, this is a results business: this is all about money.

“He is proving himself with every movie to be perhaps the most bankable star on the planet,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak. “A lot of movie stars today can’t open a movie unless its part of a franchise, but he can open any kind of movie. He’s a chameleon on screen and in terms of his box office appeal.”

Indeed, villain or hero, comedy or drama, DiCaprio has done it all. A few films have faltered, such as “J. Edgar” and Ridley Scott’s “Body of Lies,” but eight of his last 13 movies have topped $100 million at the Stateside box office.

That’s remarkable considering that DiCaprio does not have a major franchise on his resume and has never appeared in a sequel. In contrast, DiCaprio’s fellow A-listers, a group that includes Robert Downey Jr., Will Smith, Johnny Depp, and Jennifer Lawrence, all boast at least one major film series among their credits.

by Anonymousreply 371October 1, 2018 5:01 PM

Whatever R371, but Leo is NOT likable at all. I have no clue where you got that idea from. That the studios like him because he makes money for them — probably but he's as far up his ass as anyone can be. And he's not an exceptional actor, and he's not especially attractive, and he has no charisma and, and, and, and......

by Anonymousreply 372October 1, 2018 5:42 PM

Okay, now I get it. Someone does not like Leo for whatever reason, probably something to do with the voices in their head, and they have singled him out. In their mind he doesn't deserve power, so nothing anyone can say will convince them otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 373October 1, 2018 5:57 PM

R373 is not that, it's just that your argument is not very convincing. Also logic tells me that the ones who really can pull the strings, the puppet masters are not known. Just like the ones who really control the world in politics or the ones that really control the economy; we don't know them and will never meet them. It's all smoke and mirrors and 'Leo has lots of power in HW' is another smokescreen.....

by Anonymousreply 374October 1, 2018 6:02 PM

Leo was a very bankable star. I've not seen a film of his since Revolutionary Road, 10 years ago. Was dragged to Inception kicking and screaming, but my goodwill stopped there. I'm not sure he's attractive to anyone over 30, unless they're ageing adolescents in male bodies.

by Anonymousreply 375October 1, 2018 6:10 PM

R66 most men are not straight. There are as many crew members hooking up with same sex as actors with themselves you’re clearly not in this business and if you are, you obviously never worked at crew level, otherwise you’d know that. My first job was as a PA and let me tell you, the dudebro mentality is just fluff, most of the guys will hook up with other men, a lot of times, even influenced by the fluidity of being around artists.

As a matter of fact, more often than not actors will resort to crew members for their same sex escapades, anyone working as a crew member learns the first week on the job who they should avoid at a set if they’re not into that. There are as many guys fucking up the food chain at crew level as actors do, including same sex. That’s why everyone always knew about Spacey and other actors who are still to be caught. Crew people are the first ones to learn the hard way who the predators are.

R72 is right that most actors are not gay, they’re not straight either. They are either bisexuals or fluid, just like most actors are before they go to Hollywood, I don’t understand why people don’t get this, when it’s self-evident, the sluts and “fags” from HS drama did not become straight once they hit Hollywood and they didn’t get clean cut and stable either, do the math.

Here’s my take as a working staff writer: the truth is being gay in Hollywood is NOT a problem, being effeminate is. If you’re a flamboyant or femme gay you’ll not get too far as an actor, but you might succeed at PR positions or as an agent.

Only stans care about actors that much. In this industry, directors, writers and agents are more important and powerful than any actor.

The most powerful people in this industry are not only gay but also very open and proud. Some are indeed married to the opposite sex but the marriage is a known PR stunt, it’s neither a secret nor a shameful endeavour; it’s just business. Most of them in this situation laugh off Forums speculating about their sexuality and Blind Itens because they’re not really hiding, they’re just playing a part, they don’t really care about rumors. Those who care, become the laughing stock of the industry like Tom Cruise.

The so-called velvet mafia is a myth in that they’re not just a group of gays protecting each other, they are the most powerful people in the biz and they’re not who you think they are (Ryan Murphy, Matt Bonner etc.) they’re behind the scenes.

Calling yourself straight and being proud of that, while away from the spotlight and PR controlled environment is frown upon. Being a liberal is a must. Unlike what most people posted here, being gay will get you a lot of advantage in this industry if you are masculine or at least not flamboyant.

by Anonymousreply 376October 1, 2018 7:01 PM

A thousand W&Ws for you, R376. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 377October 1, 2018 7:28 PM

R371 But - as has already been asked - what makes him more powerful than other actors who are a draw? That's what was being claimed (R40), that he's super-powerful and it's still something no-one has explained.

Also, if he is so super powerful, how come he didn't get his Oscar until 2016?

by Anonymousreply 378October 1, 2018 7:33 PM

[quote] Also, if he is so super powerful, how come he didn't get his Oscar until 2016?

good point

by Anonymousreply 379October 1, 2018 7:41 PM

Foreign Press. Plus he doesn’t vote for. himself

by Anonymousreply 380October 1, 2018 7:42 PM

R376 Some bi actors?

by Anonymousreply 381October 1, 2018 7:43 PM

@R380

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382October 1, 2018 7:45 PM

I’m R376 (part 2)

Here is the most important thing I’ve learned in this business as a gay writer.

The real homophobes in this business are not who you think. First you have some agents and investors who thought themselves too creative and liberal for Wall Street, so they went to Hollywood and infused their toxic masculinity and dudebro doucheness in a business that despite social climbing and backstabbing is still as liberal and progressive as you can get.

Then you have writers. The core of this industry and the least respected cog of the machine (I’m biased I know), writers in this industry used to be mostly gay guys (closeted or not) and “fluid“ sensitive dudes writing for a conservative puritanical society, but for reasons too long to explain right now, it’s now dominated by white “straight” dudes and their bullshit - failed writers from the publishing world who thought writing films was easier.

It’s way harder for gay writers to survive this business than gay (masculine) actors; the industry will openly accept a masculine gay guy and work with them a PR persona at no cost, but the moment a gay writer challenges the toxic masculinity of a writer’s room or, God forbid, he decides to write gay characters into their stories, he’s blacklisted by the (small) group of the straight/dudebro crowd gatekeeping the money to finance stories nowadays.

If it weren’t for Netflix and other game changers gay writers would be dead in this town writing stupid straight stories to appeal to this ridiculous small crowd of people the whole industry despises.

Streaming services are challenging the system by giving the many gay and progressive writers their power back.

So how is it then that the most powerful people are gay? There’s an ongoing war between gay power players and this influx of dudebros who took the financial side of the business in the late 80s. They resort to mafia style solutions very often. I wish I could say their names but some of them you figure out, they’re producers of big studios along established directors, they’re a few CEOs of top agencies and a bunch of closeted investors and some actors who became investors once they hit big.

Another reason these gay people are powerful is because unlike the Wall Street Ivy League idiots I’ve mentioned, the gay power players have good taste and are actually interested in the craft and the artistic side of this business, thus they have support of most powerful actors and actress, that’s why Leo and others are in the Most Powerful List. That’s why Keanu is still relevant. The actors you don't see often anymore but who still keep showing up at powerful lists are now investing their millions into the industry, that's why they're considered powerful; that's what "attach" their names to a project really means.

It's a cooperation between the actors and the powerful gays that keep the art alive in this business.

by Anonymousreply 383October 1, 2018 7:50 PM

Thanks, R383. That was informative.

by Anonymousreply 384October 1, 2018 7:53 PM

R383 I know I’m shallow, but can you name one bisexual actor who isn’t Tom Hardy or the RDJ? Or even a straight actor?

by Anonymousreply 385October 1, 2018 7:56 PM

Oh God, I guess we can see why you're a "staff writer", learn how to edit honey. And stop playing to the crowd. And do please stop overinflating your importance to anything.

by Anonymousreply 386October 1, 2018 8:18 PM

R383, you mention gay directors who are super powerful behind the scenes.

I’m guessing we’re not talking Pail Feig here.

I know you don’t want to “name names” (even though it’s anomymous), but can you give us some kind of hint about David Fincher (if you know)?

He’s a big director and producer with clout as well as long time best friend of Brad Pitt and his name comes up on here a lot—the only thing is that there are always equal numbers of DLers who either swear that he’s (softly closeted) gay or swear that he’s the “toxic musculine” straight type.

It would be great to have some kind of clue about where the truth lies....

by Anonymousreply 387October 1, 2018 8:19 PM

Interesting take on the industry R383. Thanks

Just a frivolous question: Do you happen to know DLBlack ? Do you hang in the same circles? Would you say he's successful at what he does? As an insider how do you see him?

by Anonymousreply 388October 1, 2018 8:26 PM

How many closeted racists are there? I’ve seen some names thrown around here and there. Paris Hilton, Jack Nicholson...old school actors like John Wayne and Walter Brennan. But today’s Hollywood loves to promote their liberalism. But for many, I think that it’s just lip service.

by Anonymousreply 389October 2, 2018 12:31 AM

Ask Sean Penn's son.

by Anonymousreply 390October 2, 2018 1:53 AM

Aren't there actual tapes released to the public where Paris Hilton utters the N-word? Not much of closeted secret to me.

by Anonymousreply 391October 2, 2018 7:53 AM

Hollwood's main business model is selling lies and deceit. And then selling products based on lies and deceit.

Hollywood has that in common with Wall Street and governments.

by Anonymousreply 392October 2, 2018 7:56 AM

R378, Leo is well-known in certain foreign countries. That means B.O. dollars = POWER.

by Anonymousreply 393October 2, 2018 10:28 AM

r376- you must hang out with all the above the line people (Production Designer/Art Department/Costume) at video village, because I assure you that most of the below the people are not gay (with the exception of PAs, some ADs, Makeup/Hair and possibly sound). Grips, Electrics, Stunts, Camera are the most hetero guys I've seen. Sadly a lot are Republicans.

A writer I'm working with is making the jump to director (it's a project he's also writing), and it sucks because the script is being overly micro-managed by the corporate overlords. But I suppose he has more power and respect now (he has a lot of goodwill from writing for 2 successful horror franchises).

by Anonymousreply 394October 2, 2018 12:20 PM

Line 2 should read: *most of the below the line people are not gay*

by Anonymousreply 395October 2, 2018 12:21 PM

R394 Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 396October 2, 2018 12:24 PM

Not R376.

But above-the-line people refer to "individuals who guide and influence the creative direction, process, and voice of a given narrative in a film and related expenditures. These roles include but are not limited to the screenwriter, producer, director, and actors", which is what he said he was, 'a writer'. So in what way is he 'wrong' ? He is just giving you a view from the creative side, those that to me seem irreplaceable.

Whilst the below-the-line people seem to be replaceable — they are the help. So I guess to preserve their self-image as macho guys they might be spouting nonsense about being straight but as power relations go, if they are in a weak position they might 'accept' or even encourage 'certain things' to keep their jobs?

What a person says they are and what they really do at times is very different. Just human nature, I guess

by Anonymousreply 397October 2, 2018 6:17 PM

r397, I interpreted his comment about the crew as (his view) of the whole crew, not the 20% that I was talking about. Whenever writers visit, they always sit with the muckty mucks, and rarely interact with the 80% of the rest. So I was providing my (I'm under the line) point of view. I love to talk to the writers...they seem to really appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 398October 3, 2018 5:07 AM

WelI R398 I had a rock band in college and dabbled as a sound engineer so my very first gig in Hollywood was as a boom operator because I knew how to work with sound. I come from privilege and I got my start with a referral from a family member, but because of my family's obsession with work ethics I had to work behind the scenes like anyone else before I moved up as a PA (gofer, really) and then as a Junior staff writer which is still lower tier. I've never claimed to be important as someone upthread implied. I just shared my experience. I'm the gopher of the writing world, I just happen to work with known actors and also happen to have relatives that work for famous people as legal advisors, that's all.

I mean no disrespect but maybe you're an eldergay or an obvious gay? I'm a regular masculine guy so that puts me in a position where dudebros would open up to me, it has always been like that. They usually ignore the effeminate crowd, like hair and make up people for that reason... anyway... try using Scruff, guyspy, bicupid and other apps geared toward the more masculine gays or bisexuals and you'll see a lot of crew people showing up, don't take my word for it, try it. Open Scruff at Universal City, the Sony lot in Culver City or the Warner lot in Burbank and come back to me. :)

As for DLB don't know him or anyone related to him R388. I've never cared about the sexuality of big time directors, so it never even crossed my mind Fincher's sexuality was an issue R387. Can't help you there. I do know TV/streaming directors, they're the ones I deal with but none of them are known enough for outsiders to care, they're quite often just as hot as actors and are great in bed, lots of married whores. :p

I know this is an anonymous forum but I just don't want the karma for outing people without their knowledge. Trust me, Datalounge is important to PR firms and actors themselves. Several closet-cases are obsessed with this forum and post here regularly trying to counter-argue insiders, because lots of former closet-cases had been outed here in the past and you can back-search the threads. I didn't know this forum existed till an actress showed me. Though they might not care about the gossip itself they're worried about their brand and name and how studios perceive them.

by Anonymousreply 399October 3, 2018 6:47 AM

You are fantastic, R399. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 400October 3, 2018 12:45 PM

[QUOTE]I'm a regular masculine guy so that puts me in a position where dudebros would open up to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401October 3, 2018 12:48 PM

[QUOTE]Trust me, Datalounge is important to PR firms and actors themselves.

Well, now it's obvious you're bullshitting.

by Anonymousreply 402October 3, 2018 12:49 PM

As gross as he is you better kiss Nick Kroll's ass. He has billions and mind blowing connections. He can fund any dream.

by Anonymousreply 403October 3, 2018 12:53 PM

Oh, I can believe that DiCaprio has more power than other actors! He's the one guy out there who's consistently picking moneymaking projects, and who isn't making an ass of himself in public.

I just can't believe he has more power than the high-level big-money suits who really run things.

by Anonymousreply 404October 3, 2018 6:10 PM

[quote] Well, now it's obvious you're bullshitting.

Am I R402? Google any gossip on a celebrity's sexuality and Datalounge will always come up, add to it how insecure actors are, specially the newbies, and do the math.

R401 Triggered much? I can't help I'm masculine and contrary to your assumption I don't feel superior because of it and I have dated some femme guys in the past -- they're sweet an kind, unlike you, an obvious catty jealous queen.

As for the relevance of Datalounge, I know for a fact, GMA, The View and The Talk and several other daytime variety shows check this message board constantly, for content and ideas.

Most gay writers who are discriminated against by primetime TV end up writing for daytime variety shows under the assumption that because they're gay they're better suited to write for women. I find this rather homophobic but that's beside the point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405October 3, 2018 6:15 PM

R401 / R402 are the same person, R405. I put him on ignore, he’s done nothing on this thread except bitch.

Keep up the contributions. Love your insight.

by Anonymousreply 406October 3, 2018 6:38 PM

Well, R405, you could easily silence my doubts by posting a photo of your WGA card. A piece of paper with "Datalounge" written on it will do to cover any identifying information.

In the meantime you're just pleasing types like R406 because you're telling everyone what they want to hear, like everyone's gay and everyone in Hollywood thinks DL is super important. Please.

by Anonymousreply 407October 3, 2018 7:30 PM

How about you produce some ID and then I can evaluate if you're worthy of my response, R407? I don't owe you shit, this is an anonymous gossip site, if you're not happy with the information given you can ignore it, you're not as nearly as important as you think you are.

I've never claimed everyone in Hollywood is gay, quite the opposite, you're just so worried about being right, that you cherry pick what suits your bias instead of taking the time to read what I wrote.

You don't need to work in the business to realize the extension of Datalounge. I linked to a post about people hooking up with celebrities that was deleted for legal reasons. Do I need to go any further?

The fact Datalounge shows up at the top of Google when searching gay gossip on celebrities should be enough of a clue that it's massively popular and a major source for scare and curiosity on the topic.

I'm sorry you live such a pathetic life that you need to challenge everyone you perceive as living a more exciting life than yours. I'll keep posting here whenever I feel like doing it and you can kiss my ass.

by Anonymousreply 408October 3, 2018 8:29 PM

Don't worry, R408. We believe you.

R407 is obviously a shill for one or more closeted actors.

by Anonymousreply 409October 3, 2018 8:36 PM

Back to the gossip. I posted this on some other thread, can’t remember which, but there’s a fun novel called “Blind Item” written by a couple of Hollywood insiders and told from the POV of a celebrity PR novice. They swear everything described really happened. It’s pretty outlandish...Anyone read it?

by Anonymousreply 410October 3, 2018 8:52 PM

Anyone work with Winona Ryder? I am only asking cause she's my fav.

by Anonymousreply 411October 3, 2018 8:56 PM

Read any of the other Winona Ryder threads here, R411. By all accounts, she's a neurotic nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 412October 3, 2018 9:01 PM

So, R408...nothing then. The only thing that makes you possibly seem like a Hollywood writer is your inability to keep your story straight:

From R376

[QUOTE]Most of them in this situation laugh off Forums speculating about their sexuality and Blind Itens because they’re not really hiding, they’re just playing a part, they don’t really care about rumors.

From R405

[QUOTE]Google any gossip on a celebrity's sexuality and Datalounge will always come up, add to it how insecure actors are, specially the newbies, and do the math.

You're absolutely right, you can bullshit as much as you want. But I can also call you out on it as much as I want. And just how angry you seem to be getting over that speaks volumes. You must calm down, you don't want those dudebros thinking you're a drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 413October 3, 2018 9:02 PM

Why do people always come on to these threads determined to debunk what other people post? Why? What's it supposed to prove? Everyone here can choose to believe a post or not on their own, it doesn't matter. It's a gossip thread!

by Anonymousreply 414October 3, 2018 9:12 PM

They do it because they are paid to do it by the PR firm they work for. Some of them are better at it than others.

by Anonymousreply 415October 3, 2018 9:20 PM

Shut up, R413! The rest of us are perfectly aware that anyone who comes here with insider claims is probably a liar, but the lies are fun and we actively enjoy the game of wondering whether anything they say is true. So don't mistake our failure to shriek with outrage the way you are for gullibility.

You are not fun, you and your kind are buzzkills, and you lot have a history of chasing away anyone with real info to share. Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 416October 3, 2018 9:30 PM

Just block ‘em. Truly. No reason to drive yourself crazy...These types can talk in circles so fast you won’t know which end is up.

by Anonymousreply 417October 3, 2018 9:31 PM

Oh, I block plenty of people, R417.

But others really do need to be told when to shut their traps, and before they scare away anyone who might have real gossip.

by Anonymousreply 418October 3, 2018 9:35 PM

He's not even posting gossip (of course not, if he posted anything specific it could be proven wrong, best to be vague), just generalities that people here (like R415) want to believe because they need to believe they're so special that PR companies pay people to influence their opinion.

Besides, you can blame your great insider. I posted a gif and made a snarky comment at R401 and R402 and he responded with personal insults. As for people choosing whether to believe something or not - those people have the same choice to read my posts or not. If you don't want to, block me like R417 suggests.

by Anonymousreply 419October 3, 2018 9:36 PM

So why does this Nick Kroll person mentioned upthread have so much influence, besides his billions?

by Anonymousreply 420October 3, 2018 9:44 PM

R419 is hilarious. ALL PR FIRMS DO IS PAY PEOPLE TO INFLUENCE THE OPINIONS OF NORMAL FOLKS, YOU ASSHOLE.

Let's just ignore that PR-troll and get back to good gossip. It's the best way to short-circuit his/her scheme, which is to derail the thread into petty bickering instead of heady tales of buttfucking.

My question is, if Leo is as powerful as they say, why he couldn't get better parts for Lukas Haas, who by all accounts is his long-term partner. Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421October 3, 2018 9:45 PM

Lukas can't act, for one. He's got no ability whatsoever. Leo put him in The Revenant and he had a sizable part in Inception as well.

You think he can say to Tarantino, "Hey Q, here's the deal: my manwife Lukas needs a roll in the new movie. Get it done."

???

by Anonymousreply 422October 3, 2018 9:49 PM

R421 and we are back in business!

[quote] My question is, if Leo is as powerful as they say, why he couldn't get better parts for Lukas Haas, who by all accounts is his long-term partner. Thoughts?

Good point

by Anonymousreply 423October 3, 2018 9:53 PM

I mean, he probably could do exactly that. People get cast in Hollywood all the time because they're somebody's child or somebody's lover.

by Anonymousreply 424October 3, 2018 9:53 PM

Don’t be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 425October 3, 2018 9:54 PM

Nick is the son of the founders of Kroll Inc, which is basically a huge spying firm disguised as a risk consulting firm. They basically practice espionage on anyone and everything for clients, both corporate or otherwise. Need I say more?

by Anonymousreply 426October 3, 2018 9:54 PM

Are you young and pretty, OP? Do you fake emotion well? Are you the tiniest bit dead inside?

If so, you could probably make good money escorting in the Big Apple.

Just don't get into drugs: Kills your looks and turns off the richer johns.

by Anonymousreply 427October 3, 2018 9:58 PM

Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

Though the questions also apply to anybody trying to break into Hollywood. Similar skill sets.

by Anonymousreply 428October 3, 2018 9:59 PM

It's one thing to act on a Blockbuster movie where chops are not required. Now try to do it on a real film that requires gravitas and no sane director would compromise their vision to accommodate a floozy.

by Anonymousreply 429October 3, 2018 10:03 PM

r376 and r383 was very interesting but I suspect that if you asked actors, agents or others in Hollywood, they would say that their position is the one hardest for gay men.

by Anonymousreply 430October 3, 2018 10:06 PM

R383, why don't these Power-Gays help protect the gay writers?

by Anonymousreply 431October 3, 2018 10:07 PM

I know a lot of people who claim to be insiders are lying, but I don’t think it’s all that far-fetched that real insiders can and do find their way here.

by Anonymousreply 432October 3, 2018 10:09 PM

This thread was never about outing people, R419, it's about unspoken rules of Hollywood, hiding one's sexuality is just a tiny dot in the whole picture. Now go back to flipping burgers at your local Wendy's and give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 433October 3, 2018 10:10 PM

"[R383], why don't these Power-Gays help protect the gay writers? "

Do the big time Power-Gays ever protect anyone but themselves?

By all accounts, they don't even do much for their fucktoys.

by Anonymousreply 434October 3, 2018 10:19 PM

I never said outing anyone did I, R433? I said gossip. There's more to gossip than someone's sexuality. But you've got nothing at all. Though, by your own words, the celebs wouldn't care if you did out them. Or, also by your own words, they'd care so much they'd come here to argue with people. It's unclear which.

Here's a hint - people who are telling the truth don't care if people believe them, because they know what they're saying is real. It's people who are lying who get really pissy when people don't believe them, because they're afraid they won't get that positive attention they hope to obtain by lying. It's the liars who need to resort to insults. Same applies as to why the idea that calling out bullshit might scare off people with real gossip is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 435October 3, 2018 10:22 PM

[quote]I suspect that if you asked actors, agents or others in Hollywood, they would say that their position is the one hardest for gay men.

I think you’re right. It’s a big game of misery poker.

by Anonymousreply 436October 3, 2018 10:26 PM

No one has a problem with gay writers as long as you don't try to write gay characters into your story. Like John August, there are many gay writers polishing and doing page one rewrites for big studios.

They help gay writers by financing indie films like Moonlight or Brokeback Mountain, all these movies have investment from the power players.

I'll leave a piece of information that I hope it will materialize soon if all I've been told is true.

Disney is working on a couple of major projects with gay protagonists after testing the waters with Beauty and the Beast, despite the outcry over Jungle Cruise and that effeminate character.

One is a Young Avengers film featuring gay lovers Hulkling and Wiccan. This one is meant for the big screen, whether as protagonists or part of an ensemble I don't know, but they've been working on it for years and it was a woman that kickstarted it and I believe a woman will direct it too. I don't follow comics or superheroes but I think the mother of one of the two was already introduced on a previous film.

by Anonymousreply 437October 3, 2018 10:53 PM

Did Leo have Dana Giacchetto killed? VICE did this short doc with Dana where Dana shared all these intimate personal photos of their parties back in the early-mid 90s. I was floored VICE was able to release those images. A lot of them implied Leo's homosexuality and that he had potentially slept with Dana himself. Many photos of Leo and Lukas in bed together shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 438October 3, 2018 11:48 PM

[quote]No one has a problem with gay writers as long as you don't try to write gay characters into your story.

I’m legit confused...thought it was said upthread that some gay writers are discriminated against and sent to daytime TV. Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 439October 4, 2018 12:05 AM

Read again R439, what was said is that gay writers can face discrimination if they complain about toxic masculinity or pitch gay characters to a story, and I quote:

[quote] the moment a gay writer challenges the toxic masculinity of a writer’s room or, God forbid, he decides to write gay characters into their stories, he’s blacklisted by the (small) group of the straight/dudebro crowd gatekeeping the money to finance stories nowadays.

It was also said that the gay writers who get discriminated can find jobs at daytime TV because homophobes think they can write well for women. I'm starting to think most people don't read stuff through.

by Anonymousreply 440October 4, 2018 12:21 AM

Got it. Thanks for clarifying, R440.

by Anonymousreply 441October 4, 2018 12:30 AM

I have worked in PR 20 years. I can tell you I and others check this site as well as a few others. I have seen idea ripped right from blogs and postings. A list people don't give a shit. Up and coming people, C listers - are obsessed. I know actors and actresses who have paid Perez Hilton to appear on his website in positive stories.

by Anonymousreply 442October 4, 2018 12:35 AM

For those in the know: It’s obvious that celebrities lie left and right - in live interviews, in print, to their fans, in their social media, to themselves. Is what we see and hear just one big web of illusion? Can anything out of their mouths be believed?

And what kind of Faustian bargains do they make with themselves to go through life this way?

by Anonymousreply 443October 4, 2018 1:24 AM

[quote]A list people don't give a shit. Up and coming people, C listers - are obsessed.

So DL is C list? I knew it.

by Anonymousreply 444October 4, 2018 1:43 AM

To piggyback off R443, do the celebs begin to believe all the lies they spew? Do they buy into the fantasies themselves or are they hyper aware that it is all lies and bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 445October 4, 2018 1:44 AM

R442 is correct. No one is more obsessed with their image than the C List. I've had recognizable actors call me directly to arrange something, while a C list or lower will yell at me "Please go through my agent!"

by Anonymousreply 446October 4, 2018 1:45 AM

what dark magic is behind zoe kravitz acting career?

by Anonymousreply 447October 4, 2018 3:24 AM

If you are in a room with Larry Shakelbaum, Issac Bagelwitz, Dan Moskohersh, then you best be stepping!

The rape could be on at any moment.

by Anonymousreply 448October 4, 2018 3:34 AM

R438. A lot of people could have and wanted to have Dana Giachetto killed. I'm sure he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 449October 4, 2018 3:48 AM

r447: Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz

by Anonymousreply 450October 4, 2018 4:19 AM

WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT NICK KROLL and who is this person anyway? I barely know the name.

by Anonymousreply 451October 4, 2018 8:37 AM

That's lovely, R426. Sorry about the post above.

by Anonymousreply 452October 4, 2018 10:04 AM

Lots of posters on ignore

by Anonymousreply 453October 4, 2018 10:04 AM

Is the woman director Cherien Dabis R437?

by Anonymousreply 454October 4, 2018 11:48 AM

Haha, that's funny R446

by Anonymousreply 455October 4, 2018 11:49 AM

That’s a great question R445. I would imagine it’s impossible not to buy into your own image at some point, but will be interested to hear from someone with knowledge of the way these things go.

by Anonymousreply 456October 4, 2018 12:33 PM

[quote] [R383], why don't these Power-Gays help protect the gay writers?

Because that's not how Hollywood, or society itself, works. We grow up to believe in the premise that this is a straight, white, Christian men's world and there is only limited space available for minorities to sit at the movers and shakers' table. In order to get there you have to fight hard and dirty. At the beginning you might think you will change things from within, but once you made it you don't want to rock the boat and get pushed out. "When you've made it" all you care about is keeping and maintaining your social / career / popular rank and maybe moving even higher. It's not about helping or mentioring others. It's about making sure that you stay on the top without anyone being albe to push you out and claim your spot.

To this day there are some gay casting agents who are afraid to offer their movie or TV show clients (openly) gay actors for roles out of fear of being accused of some sort of "nepotism" (a gay helping a fellow gay out instead of picking the actual right one for the project) or being someone who takes advantage of the casting couch. Hollywood is still run by assholes and people are terrified of these assholes and refuse to take charge and bring down the bigoted status quo that does exist in so called Liberal Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 457October 4, 2018 2:37 PM

I don't know anyone in Hollywood but I do know people famous in other fields, and I can tell you they absolutely do believe their own bullshit and manufactured persona. After awhile they don't even remember when the image took over from their authentic self.

by Anonymousreply 458October 4, 2018 2:42 PM

This is a fuckingly depressing thread. Glad I’m not involved there. There are much lovelier worlds out there. I’m out of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 459October 4, 2018 2:42 PM

[quote] do the celebs begin to believe all the lies they spew? Do they buy into the fantasies themselves or are they hyper aware that it is all lies and bullshit?

This goes for both celebs and right wing pundits. Most know that it's totall bullshit and secretly laugh all the way to the bank. Others get paranoid that their livelihood will be destroyed when they are being found out to be a fraud. And a few really do get crazy and believe in their own hype (like Kanye or Ye, or whatever he calls himself these days).

by Anonymousreply 460October 4, 2018 2:42 PM

Depressing indeed, R459. But fascinating. And a reminder of why I never get overly attached to celebrities even as a casual fan. They’re virtually guaranteed to let you down.

by Anonymousreply 461October 4, 2018 2:52 PM

R442 R446 How about B-listers? Or are you lumping them in with the Cs?

by Anonymousreply 462October 4, 2018 5:37 PM

R443 you're acting as if lying is a big deal — it's not. Ordinary people do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 463October 4, 2018 9:25 PM

R447 that she's cool and hot?

by Anonymousreply 464October 4, 2018 9:26 PM

Besides being lovely, Zoe has a Hollywood pedigree, is a decent actress, and is black enough that producers/directors feel all liberal for casting her, but not so black that she makes them/white America/China uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 465October 4, 2018 9:29 PM

Hearst bought Marion Davies an entire career, R429 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466October 4, 2018 9:31 PM

[quote] There are much lovelier worlds out there.

Really? Where?

by Anonymousreply 467October 4, 2018 9:39 PM

Is it true you have to be liberal left on EVERYTHING on Hollywood?

David Mamet, America's greatest living playwright and one of the greatest screenwriters of all time, has been buried and burned at the stake for his shift to the right and to conservatism. He just published a novel and the NY Times REFUSED to review it. He blames his political adjustment as the reason.

So sad if true.

Guess the way to roll is with Bob DeNiro on politics.

by Anonymousreply 468October 4, 2018 9:46 PM

Anybody with half a brain knows you keep that conservative political shit locked down in Hollywood.

Hell, even regular people know not to talk politics at work, especially if their beliefs aren't in line with the general corporate culture.

If you don't do it, you're an idiot and/or an arrogant fuckwad (Hi Alan Dershowitz!)

by Anonymousreply 469October 4, 2018 9:50 PM

Oh yes R468, conservatives have such a tough time in HW!

by Anonymousreply 470October 4, 2018 9:57 PM

Piracy is not really an issue. Hollywood already knows through studies that most pirates would not pay for the content they share if they were forced to, they'll just move to whatever is available for free, so this war on piracy is for show and to appease to oblivious investors.

Many studios and networks leak their own material to the Internet to generate buzz and sometimes even to save a movie from total disaster. HBO is known for doing this, the same for several Sony and Universal "hacks". Netflix was happy a unfinished season of Orange is the New Black leaked by accident, because it generated a buzz for a show in decline of viewers. Everything in this business is fake. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 471October 4, 2018 10:12 PM

R463 Sure, but ordinary people aren’t usually invested in crafting a very specific public image that may or may not be anything close to reality.

by Anonymousreply 472October 4, 2018 10:16 PM

R472 yes, they are. They just do it differently. Remember all those images people post on facebook or ig of their summer holidays and all those lies they tell their neighbours, friends and family about their jobs, the state of their marriage and loads of other things? They are just 'crafting' an image of themselves not to lose face with their close circles.

by Anonymousreply 473October 4, 2018 10:26 PM

Good point, R473. I didn’t think about it from that perspective.

by Anonymousreply 474October 4, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote] Many studios and networks leak their own material to the Internet to generate buzz and sometimes even to save a movie from total disaster.

I can see that happening in the pop music industry (with pop divas like Madonna, Beyonce, or Katy Perry), but not in the movie industry where they rather rely on social media shills to control the good word of mouth narrative to create buzz.

However I wouldn't be surprised if competing studios hurt their competition by leaking their competitors' stuff on the internet to hurt sales on the downlow through third parties.

by Anonymousreply 475October 5, 2018 10:07 AM

Does the youngest crop of actors feel the same pressure to stay closeted as older ones? I mean, this is the generation that embraces fluidity et al. How do they reconcile that with practices like bearding?

by Anonymousreply 476October 5, 2018 12:25 PM

r476. Social media / liberal minded society and Hollywood are two different things. In order to play in Hollywood you have to play by their rules not the ones set by social media or liberal minded society. In Hollywood openly gay guys still don't get offered the same, lucrative roles straight, or closeted gays, get offered. And If you want those lucrative roles, you have to play by the rules. Of course if you settle for smaller roles that pay less you can be openly gay, but you better have good connections to stay employed on a regular basis or else you will not be able to financially support yourself with acting alone.

by Anonymousreply 477October 5, 2018 1:23 PM

Yeah, Hollywood may be gay-friendly, but middle America isn't, nor is the gigantic Asian market. If you want a prayer of being A-List, you have to keep your personal life under wraps (this is true to a large extent with straight actors, too: Actors by nature are liminal, hypersexual, neurotic sorts, and that doesn't play well in Peoria or in Peking).

It's not about emotion, it's not about honesty, it's about money.

by Anonymousreply 478October 5, 2018 1:30 PM

It's been commerce over art since the corporations bought out the studios.

by Anonymousreply 479October 5, 2018 1:40 PM

R478, You are so spot on. Had a very brief conversation with a woman I met from the Mid West. She quoted me a few lines from a PR puff piece about how Jennifer Garner regularly took her kids to church, and how moral she believed the actress to be among a sea of Sodom & Gomorrah. I tried to tell her that Ben's ex didn't actually write those lines, and she immediately cut me off. Refused to hear any alternative narrative.

Just one example of how those from the flyover states really think. Since Hollywood is increasingly reliant on the foreign market, actors who want to consistently work must remain closeted per agent/manager agreements.

by Anonymousreply 480October 5, 2018 1:40 PM

Exactly. It's why Reese Witherspoon had to do such an extended mea-culpa PR dance after that disastrous drunken video of her and her fiance surfaced. The frau crowd does NOT appreciate those types of shenanigans. Angelina Jolie is also seeing the consequences of pissing off the hoi polloi with her recent antics.

A smart actor will let professionals craft him/her a pleasing, marketable persona, and cling to it for dear life. It's just another acting role, after all. If they're reasonably discreet, they can still do whatever the fuck they want in private.

by Anonymousreply 481October 5, 2018 1:46 PM

R481, Correct. You wouldn't believe what flyovers think if they're loyal to MSM and the standard paps.

by Anonymousreply 482October 5, 2018 1:55 PM

R478, Then again, perhaps the gay/bi of Hollywood, whom we all LOL with their beyond ridiculously obvious fake bearding contracts, are purposely or even subconsciously trying to "stick it to the man" for having to play act at hetero-normative roles.

by Anonymousreply 483October 5, 2018 1:58 PM

R475 HBO famously leaked Game of Thrones episodes to generate hype and then went online bragging about their show being the most pirated, it's pure PR.

R476 We have stars like Ezra Miller openly talking about that, DL hates the word fluid, queer or those vague coming out, but this has been the most comfortable way for actors to address their sexuality and still keep their bankability. 13 Reasons Why has several openly fluid and gay actors and they're celebrated by their fans, something unthinkable 10 years ago. I don't think this will be an issue anymore once the older generation dies.

China accepts only 30 foreign films from all over the world. China's restrictions and censorship is a turn off to investors and artists as well, such as demanding stories to be set in China, writing Chinese characters with prominent roles, offering a substantial part of the gross to Chinese producers, it's just not worth the effort a lot of the times.

It needs to be said that even though a movie is commercial/blockbuster it still requires art, you may dislike the art they're making, but it's still art and a movie involves hundreds of artists besides writer, director and actors.

In defense of celebrities -- not that they need any, they act just like anyone else. We all play roles at our jobs, sometimes we hide our sexualities, sometimes we hide our political views and private lives and sometimes we just shut everyone off because we don't want people snooping around and we don't want to share our private lives. How is that different than what the Hollywood fakes do?

by Anonymousreply 484October 5, 2018 2:20 PM

r251, it probably has to do with suitability for a role.

As a producer, you will come across a LOT more people that you'd like to fuck than you have roles for.

by Anonymousreply 485October 5, 2018 4:42 PM

r 254 has mistaken all of Hollywood for The Trump Organization or Steve Bannon.

by Anonymousreply 486October 5, 2018 4:44 PM

Ask Kristy Swanson what the rules are. She's getting roasted flambe style.

by Anonymousreply 487October 5, 2018 4:59 PM

[quote]How is that different than what the Hollywood fakes do?

I guess the difference is ordinary people are not trying to simultaneously sell me a product. Hollywood wants me to go see their movies, tv shows, etc so they sell me celebrity images to get my money. It makes this different.

by Anonymousreply 488October 5, 2018 5:29 PM

r488, sometimes it's ordinary people who turn out to be thiefs, embezzlers, serial killers, rapists, pedophiles etc.. But before that was discovered they were the perfect neighbors or very trusted pillars of the community with a very trustworthy public image and reputation. They crafted a fake image in order to gain the trust of the people around them.

And sometimes these ordinary people do try to sell products like when they are part of a pyramid scheme.

by Anonymousreply 489October 5, 2018 6:17 PM

Obviously R489 , it CAN happen with ordinary folks but it’s a part of the system with celebrities. It’s a money-making scheme from the beginning. Which is different. My cousins craft an image for themselves on facebook which is fake but they are not trying to sell me a product. They are not doing it to extract my hard-earned money.

I look at all celebrities like car salespeople — expert con artists. They are twisting and distorting the truth to me to give them my money.

by Anonymousreply 490October 5, 2018 6:27 PM

*to get me to give...

by Anonymousreply 491October 5, 2018 6:28 PM

r316 = The Eurythmics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492October 5, 2018 6:42 PM

Damn, but r457 is absolutely right.

[Quote]Because that's not how Hollywood, or society itself, works. We grow up to believe in the premise that this is a straight, white, Christian men's world and there is only limited space available for minorities to sit at the movers and shakers' table. In order to get there you have to fight hard and dirty.

[Quote]At the beginning you might think you will change things from within, but once you made it you don't want to rock the boat and get pushed out. "When you've made it" all you care about is keeping and maintaining your social / career / popular rank and maybe moving even higher. It's not about helping or mentioring others.

[Quote][bold]It's about making sure that you stay on the top without anyone being albe to push you out and claim your spot.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 493October 5, 2018 6:43 PM

"At the beginning you might think you will change things from within, but once you made it you don't want to rock the boat and get pushed out. "When you've made it" all you care about is keeping and maintaining your social / career / popular rank and maybe moving even higher. It's not about helping or mentioring others."

Because if you're not a white, straight, man, not only is making it to the top that much more difficult, but so is staying there. Because the white, straight, men will forgive each other almost anything and give each other second, third, and hundredth second chances, but the rest of us are out of there after the first fuckup. It's a feeling of desperate insecurity because you never know when the axe will fall, there is absolutely no room for error, and damn little for generosity.

The only exception to this isn't really an exception. At the height of the #METOO brouhaha a it seemed like a few trolls like Matt Lauer and Harvey Weinstein lost their jobs the minute they were touched by scandal, but that's not actually how it worked. They'd actually been forgiven their misconduct for years and it was a matter of policy to let them get away with it (remember Weinstein's board refusing to cover more payoffs), at least until the scandals made them a liability. It might have looked like they weren't being given a second chance from the outside, but they'd actually gotten millions and millions of second chances before finally being ousted.

by Anonymousreply 494October 5, 2018 7:06 PM

r352 is an illiterate, trolling foreigner with no connection to show business.

NOBODY "looks straight into the camera." Are you crazy?

by Anonymousreply 495October 5, 2018 7:11 PM

It's not that gay actors "want to work on Broadway," as the poster earlier misled you, r366.

It's that theater WILL TAKE gay actors more often because they never rise to the level of fame and scrutiny that DiCaprio does.

And gays do have a disproportionately high interest in singing and dancing and musical theater, which is abundant on the stage.

But they'd prefer a TV show or movie lead if they can get them.

by Anonymousreply 496October 5, 2018 7:16 PM

r373 hit the nail on the head.

r374 is clearly a nut job, perhaps The Bipolar Movie Maniac; perhaps Damon Kruezer.

But DiCaprio is SO an excellent actor. You could never pull off what he did in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Only your own mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 497October 5, 2018 7:23 PM

r376 is delusional — about human sexuality as much as about What Happens in Hollywood.

[quote]the sluts and “fags” from HS drama did not become straight once they hit Hollywood.

But most of them DIDN'T hit Hollywood. The jocks and the cheerleaders did. The Prom Queen and King.

The drama club geeks went into P.R. or writing or hairdressing or wardrobe or character acting if anything. But most of them stayed home because they know they aren't as gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 498October 5, 2018 7:32 PM

r383.

Because no straight people have good taste.

by Anonymousreply 499October 5, 2018 7:38 PM

So mental illness is now a slur R497? Last time I looked you call it illness for a reason. Well done, contributing to the stigma that people with mental illness have to go through as if they do not already have enough. This thread was brilliant for a while and then it got invaded by trolls like you R497, with their useless input and inane rubbish. By the way, SO + ADJECTIVE; SUCH + NOUN or in your case NOUN PHRASE as in "But DiCaprio is SUCH an excellent actor", which he is not. He is a sub-par professional with an over-inflated ego.

by Anonymousreply 500October 5, 2018 7:54 PM

Quit bickering, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 501October 5, 2018 7:55 PM

I've never found Nick Kroll to be funny, r403.

But he did a nice turn in OPERATION: FINALE. Maybe a little too soft and modern for the era, but he and Isaac added some warmth that was welcome amid all the suspense.

by Anonymousreply 502October 5, 2018 7:59 PM

[quote] My cousins craft an image for themselves on facebook which is fake but they are not trying to sell me a product. They are not doing it to extract my hard-earned money.

Apparently you never heard of social media influencers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503October 5, 2018 8:00 PM

Wow, r421 thinks DiCaprio spends all his time with Lukas Haas because of one photo at a basketball game.

Bitch, please!

by Anonymousreply 504October 5, 2018 8:08 PM

There are hundreds of pictures of Haas and DiCaprio together. They've been friends for over twenty years.

They could be really close old friends, or perhaps they've been sucking each other's cocks for two decades. Either way, they're certainly closer than just two bros who happened to attend a basketball game together.

by Anonymousreply 505October 5, 2018 8:36 PM

[quote]But most of them DIDN'T hit Hollywood. The jocks and the cheerleaders did. The Prom Queen and King. The drama club geeks went into P.R. or writing or hairdressing or wardrobe or character acting if anything. But most of them stayed home because they know they aren't as gorgeous.

This comment is so ridiculous and out of touch with reality is not even funny. The only sane thing to do here is laugh at your cluelessness.

by Anonymousreply 506October 5, 2018 8:41 PM

Lukas is an idiot. He's either the best friend or the lover of one of the biggest names in Hollywood and he has nothing to show for it.

If I had those connections, I'd be a major producer.

by Anonymousreply 507October 5, 2018 8:47 PM

R507 - maybe he’s a kept housewife. Being a major producer still requires some work and that’s just no fun. Most of the “interior decorators” in NYC are like that. Who knows, they’re probably the healthiest relationship in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 508October 5, 2018 9:23 PM

Wow R504 thinks DiCaprio is a straight womanizer because the mainstream media told them so. Bitch please!

by Anonymousreply 509October 6, 2018 2:27 AM

[quote]It's just another acting role, after all. If they're reasonably discreet, they can still do whatever the fuck they want in private.

That’s why I’ll never understand celebrities who act like dicks in public. Is it that hard to put on the Mr. (or Ms.) Nicey Nice face, especially since it’s virtually guaranteed that someone within 50 feet has a smartphone and a YouTube account?

by Anonymousreply 510October 7, 2018 2:24 PM

I think the celebrities who can't behave themselves in public are either entitled dicks who think they're above it all, suffering from substance abuse issues, or suffering from mental health issues. Or, possibly, all three at once.

by Anonymousreply 511October 7, 2018 2:36 PM

[quote] That’s why I’ll never understand celebrities who act like dicks in public. Is it that hard to put on the Mr. (or Ms.) Nicey Nice face, especially since it’s virtually guaranteed that someone within 50 feet has a smartphone and a YouTube account?

Putting on an act, or be constantly expected to be friendly and nice to the fans, can be quite stressful when you deal with private issues. I think it's rather logical that it puts people on the edge and the smallest thing can push them over that edge (like, being addressed as thei famous fictional character they play or someone getting their order wrong, or someone getting in their way when they are in a rush). Different people deal with (enormous) pressure differently.

by Anonymousreply 512October 7, 2018 4:02 PM

Ooomph! Excellent thread and another example of why I remain a long-time DL subscriber.

Lol at r480 and so true about mid west attitudes. I know because I live in the mid west.

Nevertheless, a nuclear crowbar couldn't pry me out of living here. I love it. And we ain't all gullible hicks. Hell, I've even been to Green Bay, WI once or twice.

Anyway, I'll offer a naïve observation. I think Hollywood, out of sheer greed, overestimates the amount pf resistance to gay male actors in lead roles.

For instance, every frau I know who is now alive, dead or vegetative (and we're talking dozens and dozens) knew BEFORE the 80s mini-series "The Thorn Birds" that Richard Chamberlain was gayer than a box of Christmas bows. During his love scenes with Rachel Ward, nevertheless, he had them ALL swooning up a storm. They LOVED him.

Ok, commence scorching by flame, but still, what explains that?

by Anonymousreply 513October 7, 2018 4:10 PM

Very true, R512, but I was thinking less of actors who are dicks on a situational basis and those who are dicks as a rule (cough Julia Roberts cough).

by Anonymousreply 514October 7, 2018 4:10 PM

You don't have to be liberal left, smart people don't open their mouths on politics. I have been in rooms with vps of networks who are a step away from Alex Jones level crazy. Women in Hollywood tend to be very liberal. My producer friend who wanted tickets to that parade? Very liberal and knows I am too. When we are in the room of the closet Trump supporters we just look at each other with that knowing "fuck me" look. On the B-Lister question. I will go out on a limb here and say there is no B-list anymore. A levels sort of float between TV and Movies. With reality and youtube now A list can be anything. I consider Jeffrie Star A-list, because he has millions of followers, has A-list friends and is rich as fuck but never been on tv or movies.

by Anonymousreply 515October 7, 2018 4:27 PM

Social media following does not make you A list. Hanging out with the Kardashians does not make you A list.

by Anonymousreply 516October 7, 2018 4:34 PM

R515 I consider David Geffen A-list

by Anonymousreply 517October 7, 2018 4:37 PM

It’s Los Anga-Leez.

by Anonymousreply 518October 7, 2018 4:44 PM

Don't stand upwind of William Frawley after he's had a lunch of corned beef and cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 519October 7, 2018 4:53 PM

[quote] On the B-Lister question. I will go out on a limb here and say there is no B-list anymore. A levels sort of float between TV and Movies. With reality and youtube now A list can be anything. I consider Jeffrie Star A-list, because he has millions of followers, has A-list friends and is rich as fuck but never been on tv or movies.

There are different categories of celebrity stardom. Kim Kardashian would be considered A-List for Reality TV and gossip rags but Meryl Streep would probably laugh in your face if you put her in the same A-List as Kim Kardashian.

And all these different A-lists exist because a product (may it be a movie, TV show, Reality TV series, voice-over, stand-up comedy, gossip entertainment, etc.) sells better when some A-Lister, from that particular entertainment field, is involved.

by Anonymousreply 520October 8, 2018 9:42 AM

I'm not 515 but Jeffrie Star is definitely A list. He's a queer Youtube celebrity and he lives in a fucking Hollywood mansion and drives a fucking Ferrari, he's a millionaire who made his fortune out of his channel. Maybe Dlers here are too old to understand how impactful Youtubers are.

by Anonymousreply 521October 9, 2018 12:55 AM

Hello, Jeffrie Star!

Whoever you are.

by Anonymousreply 522October 9, 2018 12:59 AM

Go to 6:39 and take a look at where and how this Youtuber lives. He's rich and I'm not him. Apparently he's engaged to a "straight" guy, I'm sure it has nothing to do with him being rich, love just happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523October 9, 2018 1:08 AM

He's A List...for YouTube. He's not getting prime seats at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 524October 9, 2018 1:13 AM

Suuuure, you're not Jeffree Star.

Or his long-suffering PA or anything.

by Anonymousreply 525October 9, 2018 1:14 AM

If the upthread video is true, this Youtuber lives on the same gated community as Justin Bieber, who used to be his neighbour. How can this person be so rich and unknown? Never heard of this person.

by Anonymousreply 526October 9, 2018 1:14 AM

What a "straight" boyfriend he has

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527October 9, 2018 1:15 AM

This is pathetic on every level.

by Anonymousreply 528October 9, 2018 1:15 AM

Ladies, being A-List is more than having money.

by Anonymousreply 529October 9, 2018 1:19 AM

Yep, this guy (never heard of him before) is definitely NOT A-List. No way. No how.

by Anonymousreply 530October 9, 2018 1:25 AM

True R529 but how can you make so much money like that off Youtube? I finally watched a bit of the video and real celebrities mention him like Kim Kardashian. There's a TMZ segment on this guy and even Perez Hilton calling him a racist. I guess this should be an unspoken rule of Hollywood in that, how is it that an Youtuber has so many connections and became so filthy rich and be so unknown?

by Anonymousreply 531October 9, 2018 1:27 AM

[quote]On the B-Lister question. I will go out on a limb here and say there is no B-list anymore.

That’s news to us.

by Anonymousreply 532October 9, 2018 1:28 AM

Kristy Swanson -- hmm -- I don't really care if she's a conservative but she's an active hater ala that Fox bitch Tomi Lauhren. She just looks dumb and angry and completely in the wrong. She probably doesn't career because her career ship has sailed. Further proof if you don't have actual talent or study acting, you won't last past the ingenue phase.

by Anonymousreply 533October 9, 2018 1:42 AM

Speaking of B-listers, R533...

by Anonymousreply 534October 9, 2018 1:43 AM

R532, Colton is not B-List. He is A-List.

by Anonymousreply 535October 9, 2018 1:46 AM

HAHAHA R535

by Anonymousreply 536October 9, 2018 1:48 AM

R531, if you joined Youtube at the right point in history you could have made a lot of money if you had a good sized following.

Most of the money back in the early days came from advertising revenue. The amount paid out has dropped significantly in the past few years.

Then people made money from selling merchandise. Logal Paul even has his own clothing line.

Finally people make money from speaking engagements and other public appearances.

Teens/kids know who these people are. When people mention them they're really appealing to that demographic.

As for how they become famous? Teens like them. Teens want to be them. Teens listen to them.

Justin Beiber was discovered there. Shawn Mendes was discovered on the now defunct Vine. Someone noticed that teens really liked consuming their content and then made them actual stars because teens liked them. That hasn't changed but few people reach their heights.

by Anonymousreply 537October 9, 2018 1:57 AM

Exactly R537. VERY few YouTubers achieve mainstream fame, ie Tyler Oakley with billboards on the Sunset Strip

by Anonymousreply 538October 9, 2018 2:05 AM

YouTube isn't "Hollywood", and neither is YouTube fame.

So let's end that particular thread hijack, can we?

by Anonymousreply 539October 9, 2018 2:08 AM

[quote]Hearst bought Marion Davies an entire career, [R429] . . .

Hmmmmm. Not really.

Davies was a very ambitious and talented young actress, who actually wrote the SECOND film she was ever in! This was when women didn't often do this because NOBODY was doing it! She was rather a pioneer in many ways who had a nice career and plenty of prospects before Hearst decided to "manage" it for her. In later years she and many others wondered if her successful film career might have been even MORE successful without Hearst's involvement.

When the Great Depression, poor business moves, and the public's tiring of his anti-FDR tirades drove Hearst to the financial brink, who came up with a couple of MILLION bucks to bail him out? Marion Davies, that's who!

by Anonymousreply 540October 9, 2018 3:25 AM

[quote]Someone noticed that teens really liked consuming their content and then made them actual stars because teens liked them.

Didn't we learn that from Bye, Bye Birdie?

by Anonymousreply 541October 9, 2018 3:31 AM

[quote]David Mamet, America's greatest living playwright and one of the greatest screenwriters of all time...

Bwaahahaha!!

Mamet is a twee HACK who writes mostly ridiculous schticky plays adored by dull-witted straights everywhere. I think he's just a retread of a retread by now, and his nasty, ignorant right-wing schtick doesn't endear him to anyone with a brain! You can have an opinion, but no need to present it as fact.

by Anonymousreply 542October 9, 2018 3:32 AM

A-List isn;t about being a success on YouTube, it's about being able to greenlight a movie or series on the strength of your name being able to pull in an audience. So, Leonardo diCaprio and his string of non-franchise hits is A-List. His name gets movies made. In television, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is A-List--she's had multiple successful series. Post-Veep, if she walks in with an idea for a series, everyone will take a meeting.

Tina Fey is probably A- list as a writer/producer, but not actress, for television. She'll get a meeting; she'll get a series, but probably not a huge budget.

Most YouTube stars are flash in pans--a few of them will break out into longer-term, more established celebrities--but being a success on YouTube doesn't make you an A-lister, it's more like being a teen idol.

by Anonymousreply 543October 9, 2018 3:47 AM

r543 I see studios, streaming and traditional, swatting those Social Media Stars away. The power dynamic changes too much fir them to be accepted. Social media will win the war. Hollywood is on a decline. The American industry is getting attacked from foreign and domestic sources. One from social media stars stealing their traditional starlet's limelight, and the other, Asian media investments demanding Eastern representation. For instance movies must have a scene or storyline in China.

by Anonymousreply 544October 9, 2018 4:03 AM

[quote]YouTube isn't "Hollywood", and neither is YouTube fame. So let's end that particular thread hijack, can we?

Actually R539, there is an Unspoken Rule of Hollywood here.

Very few people looking to launch their careers as serious performers by using an online platform like Youtube/Vimeo or creating a web series will ever be taken seriously in Hollywood because of people like you.

Not everyone is Issa Rae, Colleen Ballinger or Megan Amram (who just got two Emmy nominations for her web series literally titled An Emmy for Megan) but their existence and success means it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 545October 9, 2018 4:13 AM

R540, You are completely correct. Marion Davies sold all the jewels that Hearst had given her to save his empire. The fortune he squandered building San Simeon drained him. If not for her, the Hearst empire would have been broken up and sold off long ago, like that of Conde Nast who originally owned Vogue and Vanity Fair. When Hearst died, his widow, who would have had nothing if not for Marion, would not allow her to attend the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 546October 9, 2018 4:22 AM

I'm still impressed a Youtuber is friends with all these celebrities, is mentioned on TMZ, lives on a gated community where real celebrities live, is making millions without being a household name. There's a Hollywood unspoken rule here somewhere, sorry. Youtube must be bigger than we think.

by Anonymousreply 547October 9, 2018 5:30 AM

"I'm still impressed a Youtuber is friends with all these celebrities, is mentioned on TMZ, lives on a gated community where real celebrities live, is making millions"

If he's anything like most celebrities, he's spending every cent he can earn, borrow, float, or steal to keep up his expensive lifestyle going, because he knows his brand is nothing unless he can impress the aspirational idiots out there. And that he'll have nothing left when his 15 minutes of fame run out.

Fuck off will you, YouTube Obsessive?

by Anonymousreply 548October 9, 2018 5:50 AM

Youtubers rely on social media followers and in some cases they can attract TV gigs based on that. The Amazing Race had Youtube celebrities and YT sensations before and after season 28, the Social Media season (including Joey Graceffa and Tyler Oakley).

by Anonymousreply 549October 9, 2018 5:58 AM

R544, Hollywood will adapt and already is--there's a lot more to streaming than YouTube and Hollywood is deeply involved in supplying content. Your understanding of the industry is pretty simple. Yes, there are people who get their start on YouTube, but that's not the same as A-list status, which has a particular meaning.

And R548 is right--never assume you know about someone's finances from a YouTube video. Some people have done pretty well, but that's not the same as the Hollywood A-List.

by Anonymousreply 550October 9, 2018 6:06 AM

What you guys don't realize that Jeffree Star has a very successful cosmetics line- that's where the bulk of his money comes from, like Kylie. His company made $98 million in 2017, so if he gets a 3rd of that, he has more money than all of us.

by Anonymousreply 551October 9, 2018 6:08 AM

Well, duh! Most people show off on social media and fib about how great their lives are. It's like guys who parade around knock offs of high end brands to make themselves look rich and successful.

by Anonymousreply 552October 9, 2018 6:09 AM

Thanks R551 that explains why he's obviously very rich and well connected.

R548 Suck my cock, bitch. I'll talk about whatever the fuck I want, don't like it, don't read it.

by Anonymousreply 553October 9, 2018 6:11 AM

[quote] The Unspoken Rules of Hollywood

I guess we found out that Jeffree Star fits the criteria of not being spoken about in Hollywood openly. Good for him, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 554October 9, 2018 6:22 AM

The Kardashians are A+ list and you can love them or hate them but EVERYONE in America knows who they are.

I've never typed a more pathetic, disheartening sentence in my life.

by Anonymousreply 555October 11, 2018 12:05 AM

People whore themselves out to rich Arabs in Dubai all of the time. Yachting.

by Anonymousreply 556October 11, 2018 12:28 AM

guaranteed being jewish will help you get cast as a hottie. Forcing all the world to suspend belief as you're shoved down our throats with your janked up nose job.

by Anonymousreply 557October 11, 2018 12:52 AM

[quote]Most YouTube stars are flash in pans--a few of them will break out into longer-term, more established celebrities--but being a success on YouTube doesn't make you an A-lister, it's more like being a teen idol.

You are correct. I find it a bit suspicious that some of the self-professed insiders here appear not to know this.

by Anonymousreply 558October 13, 2018 9:18 PM

R558 They’re just having a good time out of it.

Anyway, YouTubers have their own “world” so it’s best to go back to the main topic.

by Anonymousreply 559October 13, 2018 9:26 PM

R289, I don't think there's anything wrong with preparing for an interview and knowing the general questions beforehand. It makes for a more interesting interview. It would be boring to listen to someone umming and erring and trying to remember the details of something that just popped into their head.

Also, and as r292 points out, why was Downey even being asked about his father's shitty behaviour? It's not like just because you're promoting a movie the entire world has the right to know every detail of your private or family life.

None of what you said shows any bad/sleazy side of Hollywood or that everything is all fake and PR.

by Anonymousreply 560October 13, 2018 10:06 PM

I'd already come to that conclusion quite a few posts before, r402.

by Anonymousreply 561October 13, 2018 10:24 PM

Are the Kardashians A+ list? I'd say yes and no. Yes, in that their social media followings means that they'll always get greenlit for another reality series, but no in that I'd be surprised if any studio greenlit a film because Kim K. was attached to it. I don't see her getting the okay on a traditional pilot-to-series either for a nonreality show.

But they're certainly worth their weight in gold as fashion/make-up influencers. And they seem to understand this; they're brilliant at self-marketing.

by Anonymousreply 562October 13, 2018 10:59 PM

R562 well said.

by Anonymousreply 563October 17, 2018 5:59 PM

That's really interesting R515 because I have never even heard the name Jeffrie Star. I believe now with the multitude of channels and audience fragmentation (that's putting it lightly) there is no A-list. Unless A-list is Kanye West, Beyonce, Jay-Z. I would have no desire to buy any of their products, so it's all become very different from 25 years ago. That said, 25 years ago my mother dispised Tom Cruise and didn't get his success at all, so. Maybe A-list hasn't changed that much.

by Anonymousreply 564October 18, 2018 6:10 PM

Vine doesn't exist anymore?

by Anonymousreply 565October 18, 2018 6:13 PM

Ask Mel Gibson about those Bagelsteins and Dreidelsterns.

He'll explain.

by Anonymousreply 566October 18, 2018 6:30 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 567December 13, 2018 9:54 PM

If you're a natural beauty, get a nose job and a chin implant, stop eating, hire a personal trainer, and get hair extensions if you're a girl and take steroids if you're a guy.

Hollywood doesn't want anyone who looks natural.

by Anonymousreply 568December 13, 2018 11:44 PM

I used to live in LA where I worked as an assistant professor, and was seriously involved with someone in the film and TV industry. We would often have clashes because of the difference between his culture and mine. A few thigs I would add to this thread about Hollywood's unspoken rules--some of which I think are so naturalized to people who work there that they forget that it's singular to their profession (or only a few professions like it):

*You always have to be available anywhere and at any time by cell phone. You will be carrying your cell phone with you always, and you have to answer it always.

*People with enough power can and will shout and scream at people below them, and no one will bat an eye unless it is done in front of outsiders (and sometimes not even then).

*You might on certain occasions be asked not to look at someone famous or powerful directly, and you will be expected to take that as a command.

*People outside the power hierarchies in Hollywood care only about actors or (on rare occasions) directors. People in Hollywood talk and gossip constantly about producers, casting agents, and talent agents... they are every bit as important within Hollywood as the actors and directors (sometimes much more so, especially if you work in production).

*You will be judged by what kind of car you drive (especially) and by where you live in LA.

*You will be expected to dress a certain way appropriate to your part of the field. Even if it seems very casual (if you work in production, where it's mostly t-shirts and baseball caps), you will have to invest in expensive t-shirts and expensive baseball caps.

*If you try to export these rules of behavior outside of Hollywood, you will mostly be viewed as insane. Normal people will not refrain from looking at famous people if told expressly not to do so (why should they? they cannot be fired by Hollywood executives and do not care about offending famous people) and will laugh at you. Outside of politics and a few other creative industries, very few people in the US will tolerate being screamed at. If you expect other people outside of creative industries or politics to have their cells with them 24/7 and to always take your call, they will think you're strange.

*Everyone who works in Hollywood--even people who are just personal assistants--honestly believes every single person in the world wishes they did too. You cannot disabuse them of this fantasy sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 569December 14, 2018 12:14 AM

Very interesting, R569.

by Anonymousreply 570December 14, 2018 12:45 AM

[quote]*You will be judged by what kind of car you drive (especially) and by where you live in LA.

In my Hollywood fantasy, I use public transport and live in Hancock Park.

by Anonymousreply 571December 14, 2018 12:56 AM

Newbies get screwed (sexually and business / career wise). That's why newbies are encouraged to try to make it in Hollywood since the players need a steady stream of newbies to screw.

by Anonymousreply 572December 14, 2018 1:01 AM

Greatest Hollywood vignette was in the classic movie Swingers. Jon Favreau walks up to a girl at a party to hit on her and she asks what kind of a car he drives. He says "I have a Cavalier. I drive a red Cavalier." And the girl looks away and goes back to talking to her friend.

by Anonymousreply 573December 14, 2018 2:09 AM

Read a simple quote from Warren Beatty when I was younger and it set the tone when I moved to L.A.: "Play to win." If you are gong to go through the torture of traffic and the expense and the years of struggle, aim to play with the big boys. Find people who have done "it", whatever "it" is, ask questions and listen to what they say. So many fucking experts with nothing on their resumes.

And when someone takes interest in your career (rare in and of itself), be GRACIOUS. Taking it for granted is a huge mistake made all the time.

by Anonymousreply 574December 14, 2018 2:26 AM

“Mainstream” is a code word for heterosexual white males. Pertains to movies, music, and the type of men or women you are interested in fucking.

by Anonymousreply 575December 14, 2018 2:16 PM

[quote] You always have to be available anywhere and at any time by cell phone. You will be carrying your cell phone with you always, and you have to answer it always.

All the aspies and sociophobes won't be able to do that, besides everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 576December 14, 2018 2:25 PM

I have been pretty successful in Hollywood due to the advice I got when I first started - I already posted that you learn right away these people are not your friends. The other was bow and scrape. My first boss taught me that everyone who thinks they are above you wants you to bow and scrape. Treat them like gpds and you will succeed.

by Anonymousreply 577December 16, 2018 2:51 AM

The only way to ever express how you actually feel is in the guise of a joke. If you say something shitty that you actually feel, hide it in a joke. Never ever ever show all your cards.

by Anonymousreply 578December 16, 2018 4:30 AM

r578 also they will prey on weakness. When things are great the higher-ups want all the credit, When they are shitty they want to fire YOU. I did a photo shoot with a magazine once, the editor was one of these Anna Wintour wannabes but she had enough clout. The magazine hit the stands as the show my actress was on hit the top ten in the neilsens. She called me up to congratulate me (not sure why me) about the ratings. I said thank you so much, then long pause. And she says in an icy cold voice "and you should say thank you for the cover that helped get you those ratings." I faked stupidity and said "OMG of course, How can I be so dumb...I am so sorry YES thanks you so much, of course we love you and all your help!" Bow and scrape.

by Anonymousreply 579December 28, 2018 12:34 PM

These Jeffree Star claims are ridiculous horseshit. "98 million."

Nice try, Hunty!

by Anonymousreply 580December 28, 2018 5:07 PM

[quote]Outside of politics and a few other creative industries, very few people in the US will tolerate being screamed at.

Remind r569 never to enlist in the military — the biggest employer in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 581December 28, 2018 5:29 PM

Whenever I watch the NBA, NFL or MLB, the coaches and players are always screaming at each other.

by Anonymousreply 582December 28, 2018 5:30 PM

R582 Keep it a secret from R569

by Anonymousreply 583December 28, 2018 5:31 PM

Is it me or is it always the B-listers (and C-listers) who are in everyone’s face all the time...always at parties, always posting Instagram selfies or doing some ridiculous pose with clumps of other tryhards? The A-listers, at least those with actual talent, seem a lot more reclusive.

by Anonymousreply 584February 6, 2019 11:41 PM
by Anonymousreply 585May 16, 2019 9:12 PM

r584 that's recency bias.

by Anonymousreply 586May 17, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote] there are no interviews. Every profile or "interview " you read is a crafted product of a publicist. Every. Single. One.

Wow. I must have one exceptionally shitty publicist!

by Anonymousreply 587May 17, 2019 4:17 AM

How so, R586?

by Anonymousreply 588May 21, 2019 9:40 PM

bearding and lavender marriages

by Anonymousreply 589May 21, 2019 9:50 PM

R344 Is it considered an open secret around town as to who’s gay/bi, closeted, bearding, in a PR showmance, etc?

Yes they are only closeted to public.

by Anonymousreply 590May 21, 2019 9:51 PM

R590 I assume the industry protects its own.

by Anonymousreply 591May 21, 2019 10:49 PM

in some cases it's an open secret, but in many cases it's a case of debate.

People debate all the time who is gay, who isn't.

by Anonymousreply 592May 22, 2019 1:14 AM

All I ever needed to know about Hollywood, I learned in the 80s. Lange, Keaton, and Spacek had to work for a pittance to get Crimes of the Heart made, even though all three already had Oscars and the play had won a Pulitzer. Yet Stallone got payed 12 million to be in the arm wrestling turd Over the Top.

That's all I needed (or wanted) to know about "the industry".

by Anonymousreply 593May 22, 2019 1:24 AM

R318, no bffs in H Town.

Haven’t finished this thread, but here are a few very important things:

If you’re into weird shit, (and NO, I don’t mean pedophilia or even hebephilia) always have a large amount of cash that is easily accessible by someone whom you pay VERY well, aka: someone you can trust for now. Trust me, you will need the cash. Especially if you’re filming outside of the US, & while in a blackout, you dislocated the Russian escort’s jaw.

Speaking of cash... find the most trustworthy, long-standing, reputable money people in town to handle your money once it starts rolling in, ESPECIALLY if you have a problem with booze and/or drugs. When starting out (assuming you start getting work), save it. Save as much as you can, and if applicable, invest wisely, because someday you might find that you’re no longer working.

Be nice to your housekeeper, Conchita. Treat her like a queen, & pay her well, because the bigger you become, the greater chances are that Conchita will become your best friend.

Almost EVERYTHING coming out of everyone’s mouth is total bullshit, yours included.

Almost everyone who you know is too self absorbed to genuinely care about you. No one gives a rat’s ass about you, & if they do, it’s 100% conditional. If you’re an asshole, this includes your partner, and your kids. But hey, you’ll always have Conchita.

Do NOT get fat, unless you’re already fat, & you’re always typed as the fat friend or fat protagonist in some rom-com or straight up comedy flick.

Almost every single actor/actress out there is certifiably NUTS. I promise you. There’s often a personality disorder or mental illness. Addiction is also usually in the mix. Most of these people come from highly dysfunctional homes, & have been escaping via “playing pretend”, in order to cope since childhood.

NEVER marry a fellow actor, unless you want the inevitable divorce.

If you have a true passion for acting, do theater. It’s almost just as hard to break into, but at least a wee bit more possible. Almost everyone in the industry can’t act, and the ones who actually can, rarely make it. But if you get hired in legitimate theater, you can most probably act.

And last, but not least, if there is some other industry that you can get into, go with that industry instead. The entertainment industry is one of the most ruthless industries that you can pursue, only to be rivaled by politics. Almost every power hungry & corrupt politician out there could easily fit into Hollywood’s eco system, & probably succeed.

by Anonymousreply 594May 22, 2019 1:28 AM

Unspoken rule #234: Don't deny Faye Dunaway a bathroom break or she will justifiably threw a cup of urine on you.

Of course Polanski wouldn't have minded if it been a 13 yr old's pee.

by Anonymousreply 595May 22, 2019 1:34 AM

Rock Hudson was the last gay leading man in Phoneywood. After him they all went extinct like dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 596May 22, 2019 1:40 AM

R577 is so spot on, it’s tragic. As is the person who mentioned staying away from gay men. I’m not sure what’ happens to so many gay men in the industry once they become successful, but almost every crappy stereotype becomes true once they’re in.

That gay neighbor and bff you have who is someone you really care for and you believe the same applies to you from him? He will be a completely different person within a year of getting certain jobs. A different person who is horrible and who you will want nothing to do with.

If it’s you who succeeds and does well instead, get ready for war.

Also, the only thing worse than a beautiful woman who starts losing her looks, is an aging queen. The midlife crisis is ultra long, and ultra messy. Unless you have enough good sense to do it privately, your career is over, and all of the gay bffs will never hire you again.

This is why you are usually better off with straight people in Hollywood, even if you yourself, are 100% gay and everyone in the industry knows it, outside of your fans.

by Anonymousreply 597May 22, 2019 11:04 AM

R468, a few things regarding Bobby DeNiro:

First: he vehemently believes and stands by his political ideologies.

Second: DeNiro CAN ACT. He is one of the few people in this industry who is actually talented. He opened any film he was in, & made it in every way that “making it” counts in Hollywood. This is why DeNiro was able to openly date & marry black women at a time when most could not. I promise you that right now, there are A-listers who are married to white women, while simultaneously maintaining a longstanding relationship with their black mistress, who live in an upscale neighborhood, with their and the actors’ kids.

Third: DeNiro is at an age that he can say whatever the fuck he wants. No one is coming back to rescind his Oscars, or stop payments on his huge checks.

Fourth: DeNiro never gave one flying fuck what anyone, including his fans, thought of him, because again, HE CAN ACT.

by Anonymousreply 598May 22, 2019 11:59 AM

[Quote] This is why DeNiro was able to openly date & marry black women at a time when most could not. I promise you that right now, there are A-listers who are married to white women, while simultaneously maintaining a longstanding relationship with their black mistress, who live in an upscale neighborhood, with their and the actors’ kids.

How depressing 🙁

by Anonymousreply 599May 22, 2019 1:41 PM

Closed.

by Anonymousreply 600May 22, 2019 4:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!