Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

#CANCELSOUTHPARK

Anyone know what this is about?

Is it supposed to be some kind of advertising scheme for the show, or is there a groundswell of support to cancel this completely tired and worn out dreck?

It's hard to tell nowdays.

Comedy Central is actually flashing commercials with this hashtag, so I'm thinking that it's just a ploy to attract viewers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2018 4:58 PM

I think it's a parody of the twitter accounts that try to get a show cancelled or someone fired . There doesn't seem to be an actual movement to cancel south park

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2018 3:13 AM

Cancel Twitter instead

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2018 3:18 AM

I love alot of the earlier seasons of south park, but I can't shake the feeling that the creators are on the sociopath spectrum. Just a feeling. Cartman is still an absolutely genius creation though.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2018 3:22 AM

[quote] There doesn't seem to be an actual movement to cancel south park

There should be.

That crap show should have been canceled over 10 years ago.

It hasn't been funny in over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2018 3:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2018 3:33 AM

[quote]I love alot of the earlier seasons of south park, but I can't shake the feeling that the creators are on the sociopath spectrum.

I think Stone is. The other guy who basically does everything anyway is just deeply deeply dumb. Not that SP isn't funny a lot, but sometimes Parker's incredibly shallow take on social issues drives me bananas. I am sure he believes he is being provocative and subversive, but I have never seen any evidence of much intelligence behind it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2018 3:34 AM

I stopped watching years ago when they said they "Really really hate liberals".

Yeah, I kinda got that from watching the show.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2018 3:36 AM

R6 I think they sometimes overdo the "both sides are equally awful, " thing. While I believe in nuance and complexity, they have a tendency to go into full on nihilism

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2018 3:37 AM

We can thank the assholes known as Matt Stone and Trey Parker for teaching an entire generation of young, impressionable Americans to stay home and throw their votes because voting is like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. We can also thank South Park for creating millions of libertarian sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2018 3:38 AM

One of my favorite episodes though is one that involves the goth kids. I think it's called "Dawn of the Posers". In that episode Parker really nails the subtle differences between the vamps, the emos and the goths. Silly shit like that he does really well.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2018 3:40 AM

More Craig and Tweek please

#morehomosexuals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2018 3:40 AM

[quote]I love alot of the earlier seasons of south park, but I can't shake the feeling that the creators are on the sociopath spectrum.

One of them is a diehard libertarian, so that explains the sociopathy. Libertarians lack empathy and have created an entire political philosophy that seems to be based on the hatred of the social contract.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2018 3:41 AM

Season 1 was basically the only one that was actually funny.

I can watch the Starvin' Marvin, Pink Eye, Barbara Streisand, and Chickenfucker episodes over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2018 3:43 AM

The show is much better when they don't focus on politics and instead on pop culture shit like WoW, Japanese anime, goths vs. emos, etc. Then they can touch on political stuff and usually be fine. But when they really dig down and zero in on politics, the results are usually terrible, like Manbearpig.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2018 3:45 AM

Suckie Suckie Five Dollar

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2018 3:51 AM

Absolutely, R14.

Parker and Stone's politics completely poisoned the show for me.

Watching them give George W. a pass, and then the constant bashing of Obama and Liberals, made me absolutely DESPISE them.

I never watched a show of theirs after that.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2018 3:53 AM

I loved the show years back. If I had kids, I would want them to be as funny as Cartman and as decent as Kyle.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2018 3:58 AM

“Comedy Central is actually flashing commercials with this hashtag, so I'm thinking that it's just a ploy to attract viewers.”

No flies on you.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2018 4:04 AM

this television program never did appeal to me. there, I hope I sounded sufficiently like an ol fogey.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2018 4:04 AM

Stupid spoiled whore video playset

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2018 4:59 AM

South Park is so played out.

Cancel that fucking shit show.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2018 8:11 AM

Matt Stone funds an LGBT Q program in Denver that his sister runs. Trey Parker funds an animal rescue project that his sister and brother-in-law run. Both guys give Millions to Social Service programs. So calling either a hardcore libertarian shows your own ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2018 9:22 AM

Thank you R13. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who feels this way. People tell me I "have" to watch a certain ep, I watch it and it's crap.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2018 12:24 PM

[quote]Matt Stone funds an LGBT Q program in Denver that his sister runs. Trey Parker funds an animal rescue project that his sister and brother-in-law run

I rented some DVDs of their shows some years back. One season had interludes with Stone and Parker. They had brought in a pig and in every interlude they were feeding the pig bacon. Isn't that so hilarious??!!

I don't preach veganism, because I'm not one, but I found their glee so gross. Stone especially seemed to think it was so funneee. In all interviews I have found Stone to be somewhat off. He seems to have a lot of barely disguised rage. I know, I know. So do most comics, but the two of them just delight in their casual cruelty. Perhaps they have mellowed and softened as they have gotten older, but funding a LGBTQ program or animal rescue doesn't really change my perception of them that much. Though like I said, it's Stone that I find the disturbing one.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2018 1:39 PM

I loved the episode with Cesar Milan, I think it was called 'TSSSSS', or something like that.

Fun Fact: Cesar Milan entered the US illegally.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2018 1:45 PM

[quote]So calling either a hardcore libertarian shows your own ignorance.

Dummy, libertarians fall on both sides of the politician spectrum. They can be Rightwing douchebags whining about "SJWs" or Leftwingers always crying "fascism" and "censorship". The South Park guys are the classic leftwing libertarian douche bags cut from the same cloth as Bill Maher who feel that people like Milo Y. and Alex Jones should be allowed open platforms to say and do whatever they want regardless of whatever impact they may have.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2018 3:04 PM

Don't think just because I got a lot of money, I'll give you taco-flavored kisses, honey

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2018 3:08 PM

I prefer the later episodes to the earlier ones. The humour in the early episodes hasn't really stood the test of time whereas their more political later series tend to have a bit more thought put into them. Obviously there are some terrible episodes in most of their series but when they do it well, they're very good.

I do still think Cartman is the greatest character ever created.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2018 3:18 PM

What r6 said. Some of the older ones are memorable; I liked Butters, especially the gay conversion camp one. But that show has been terrible for a long time...

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2018 3:21 PM

[quote] I stopped watching years ago when they said they "Really really hate liberals".

[quote] We can thank the assholes known as Matt Stone and Trey Parker for teaching an entire generation of young, impressionable Americans to stay home and throw their votes because voting is like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. We can also thank South Park for creating millions of libertarian sociopaths.

[quote] The South Park guys are the classic leftwing libertarian douche bags cut from the same cloth as Bill Maher who feel that people like Milo Y. and Alex Jones should be allowed open platforms to say and do whatever they want regardless of whatever impact they may have.

I feel bad for you if you guys are not trolling. I never got any political bent from their show. Liberals are just as guilty as conservatives in creating manufactured outrage. Even in the early seasons Kyle's mom from the early seasons basically typified the type of behavior that would later become mainstream. Everything is fair game with South Park. It's so much more fun to make fun of people who are so far up their own asses, they can't see the forest for the trees. In the current climate, liberals have become the moral crusaders so it's easier to knock them off their perch.

I hope SP continues to make fun of liberals and conservatives equally and pay no mind to their critics who try to blame them for Trump. Those who get their political views from a cartoon show dont' deserve to vote anyway.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2018 3:25 PM

Eric Cartman and Company are are right now dining at the local IHOB, eating burgers and discussing their future.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2018 3:30 PM

OMG ...... I 💟 STARVIN' MARVIN !

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2018 3:34 PM

[quote]I loved the show years back. If I had kids, I would want them to be as funny as Cartman and as decent as Kyle.

I hope this is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2018 3:37 PM

Sorry, but the Lu Kim character just makes me giggle no matter when I see it. I loved the ending of the episode where he's a schitzophrenic and they just decide to let him keep believing he's Chinese because City Wok is the only Chinese restaurant in town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2018 3:54 PM

[quote]I hope SP continues to make fun of liberals and conservatives equally

But they don't R30.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2018 4:31 PM

[quote]So calling either a hardcore libertarian shows your own ignorance.

Libertarians would never give financial support to liberal type organizations? As long as the funding doesn't come from the gov't I don't see why a libertarian would have an issue with that. Do you think Matt Stone would give a shit about LBGTQ issues if he didn't have a family member who was a part of that community? Or that Parker would give a shit about animal rescue if his girlfriend wasn't?

They have both openly expressed their libertarian views and their contempt for liberals so I don't see why some people on this thread are objecting to calling them what they are. If you don't think that they lean right in their political views and express that on the show than I wonder how many episodes you have seen or if we are even watching the same show.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2018 4:31 PM

*then I wonder...

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2018 4:33 PM

I'd say they take the piss out of the extremes of the left wing and right wing equally. I certainly wouldn't say they're right-leaning just because they've taken the piss out of a few liberals. Laughing at the absurdities of political correctness, for example, doesn't make one a right-wing nut job.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2018 4:35 PM

I still detest the "fag" episode where they justified people using that slur because they believe it isn't an anti-gay slur anymore. They even trotted out Big Gay Al who hadn't been seen in ages, to defend the use of the word by others.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2018 4:38 PM

They have lots of gay characters in the show: Craig, Tweek, Butters(bi?), Satan, Mr. Slave, Big Gay Al, Cupid Cartman, etc etc

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2018 5:34 PM

Is Tom Cruise really gay? How come all shows portray him as a closeted hmosexual lol

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2018 5:35 PM

R36 It's because liberal groups are the ones who have been trying to take the show off the air ever since it began. In the movie, Kyle's mom runs a campaign to destroy Terrence and Phillip even though she doesn't watch the show. Sound familiar?

[quote] Do you think Matt Stone would give a shit about LBGTQ issues if he didn't have a family member who was a part of that community? Or that Parker would give a shit about animal rescue if his girlfriend wasn't?

Or maybe they already gave a shit about it before? Stupid presumption.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2018 5:49 PM

I'd probably say it'd be fair to call them contrarian and be done with it. They mock people from all across the political spectrum. If tomorrow the world suddenly turned into a utopia they'd find something wrong with it.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2018 5:56 PM

R38, I think you're absolutely and completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2018 5:57 PM

They are Right-wingers. They don’t hate both sides equally. They are on record about that.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2018 5:58 PM

R45 Then don't watch then. Most people are no so orthodox in their political beliefs and can watch with an open mind.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2018 6:01 PM

R45 - Perhaps we have different ideas of what right-wing means, but from what I've seen in their work, the ideas they support are not typical right-wing views. Please give me some examples of the right-wing views they hold - they have lambasted some typical 'liberal' views on SP but I was of the opinion they were mocking extreme political correctness and how absurd things were getting.

Cartman for example probably ticks all the boxes for a right-winger since he's racist, self-centred, anti-Semitic etc but he's an antihero. I don't think Matt and Trey's intentions were for us to agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2018 6:14 PM

They did make fun of blue collar workers in the "they took our jerbs" episode so I doubt their political views completely fall in line with right wing orthodoxy.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2018 6:16 PM

I wouldn't care if it ended next year. SP peaked in the mid-late 00s anyway, which is now a decade gone.

Season 11 was the zenith for me, with 'Guitar Queer-O' as my favorite episode (and it first aired in 2007...). Today the videogames and the movies are better than the show proper, and even still they're kinda played out.

21 years is a respectable lifetime for a show that began as a crude 2D cartoon to fill time between other shows. If it continues to run beyond 2019, there will have to be a change of format and of main characters - maybe a spin-off series or stage-show to focus on Craig's gang could come next (I miss Jimmy, Tweek is cute, Token is primed in the wings and Clyde needs his first day in the sun, damnit!). The Fab 4 have to go, they're stale af: Kyle is a mouthpiece; Kenny is a two-joke entity (and trans-ed now, right?); boring Stan is barely a character at all; and a kid like Cartman is much less funny and more scary in light of the current P O TUS. Butters can stay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote]Or maybe they already gave a shit about it before? Stupid presumption.

No more stupid than yours.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2018 10:26 PM

Slightly off topic, but I have met a disproportionate number of men from Colorado who were seriously off or sociopathic. I wonder if it has something to do with the low oxygen there.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2018 10:30 PM

Gen X-tard Republicans in Libertarian clothing. There were and still are so many of them...

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2018 10:34 PM

Matt Stone is still a hot Jewish daddy. I get a libertarian bi vibe from him.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2018 10:41 PM

[quote]Libertarians would never give financial support to liberal type organizations? As long as the funding doesn't come from the gov't I don't see why a libertarian would have an issue with that

Not only would a libertarian have no issue with that, a libertarian *would* donate loads of money to charities to prove the point of why social welfare needs to be abolished. One of the tenets of libertarianism is that welfare programs are wrong because "that's what charities are for".

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2018 10:53 PM

Oh yeah? Well Libertarians are also mostly all idiots. They're Republicans who just don't want to be labeled as Republicans because they run in mostly liberal social and professional circles. Cowards. All of them!

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2018 11:11 PM

Libertarians are just Republicans who like to smoke pot and have abortions.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2018 11:12 PM

Many liberal on gay marriage etc.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2018 11:13 PM

Liberal toward blow jobs.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2018 11:13 PM

I'd watch anything with Craig Tucker all day

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2018 12:21 AM

Not to be that Millennial asshole but I'm thinking the tweets mean "cancel" as in "gonna write this off for being offensive". Not literally taking it off air.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2018 12:31 AM

no. #cancelsouthpark is supposed to mock every millennial that wants to cancel everything just because.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2018 1:14 AM

Any show with Michael Jackson, the Goths/Emo's/Vamps, Raisins (Hooters for little girls = so sick, but funny as shit), The loss of the internet, Jersey Shore, and CREME FRAICHE- THE BEST.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2018 1:52 AM

I love anything with Cartman and butters together

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2018 1:52 AM

The ‘member berries are funny and smart; I’ll give Parker that.

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2018 2:02 AM

I think they are both married. Matt to an entertainment executive and Trey to a former stripper. Trey used to be married to a Japanese woman but they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2018 2:11 AM

R16 as far as I remember, they never bashed Obama. Not even once.

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2018 2:26 AM

[quote] Gen X-tard Republicans in Libertarian clothing. There were and still are so many of them...

Jack Dorsey is another. Billy Corgan another.

by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2018 3:34 AM

[quote]OMG ...... I 💟 STARVIN' MARVIN !

Didn't you two date briefly, D.O.?

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2018 4:00 AM

BUTTERS is the bomb.

by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2018 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!