Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wellbutrin Anybody?

A doctor wants me to use it for a few months to see if it helps with depression. I'm a bit leery about it.Do you or have you used it? Did it help? Side effects? What can you tell me? Thanks for any help and info.

by Anonymousreply 122February 28, 2021 5:40 PM

A few months? EST choices: 1) your doctor is crappy. 2) your doctor is lying to you. 3) you are so depressed you weren't listening closely. 4) this is an EST and no doctor has spoken to you.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2018 7:27 AM

I am taking it. No side effects really. Makes my hands shake sometimes. I recommend you take 5htp and L-tyrosine as well. That provides natural dopamine and serotonin. They also make my hands NOT shake.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2018 7:32 AM

I used it for a month, it did nothing but it was a small dose.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2018 7:33 AM

My best friend uses it and says it's the only thing that works for her depression. She likes it and she's tried many anti-depressants over the years. Minimal side effects for her.

In case that's of any use to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2018 7:35 AM

It’s not an SSRI. Good for depression, and good to help with motivation, which is why it’s used to help stop smoking. Gives you a little more energy with very few side effects (some ppl get too much energy and have insomnia, jitters, anxiety or basically any other mild side effect that you may feel if you’ve had too much caffeine). It takes effect after only a few days and is much safer to stop taking than SSRIs, so indeed you can take it for a few months, like if you had a death in your immediate family or other loss and need a temporary boost to help you through the tough time.

I tried it for a few months but ultimately stopped because I didn’t think it was doing much for me. I may not have been taking a high enough dose.

It can also help boost male sex drive, btw. Not a miracle drug but more pros than cons, I think.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2018 7:46 AM

I took 300 mg once a day for about one year. The only thing I really noticed was that I had a very short temper while on the drug. That went away once it was out of my system.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2018 7:49 AM

It's one-third of my anti-depressant cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2018 7:58 AM

It helped me when other antidepressants made me feel sluggish. No real side effects. May help with weight loss a little.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2018 7:59 AM

[quote]A doctor wants me to use it for a few months to see if it helps with depression.

When it comes to something as trivial as depression, it's best to ignore your doctor and seek the advice of an anonymous message board.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2018 8:23 AM

R9 He is looking for advice from those who have taken it, cuntfrau.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2018 6:53 PM

Oh yeah I forgot it can make you short tempered or prone to rages.

Often it’s used in addition to an SSRI because SSRI’s can quash libido but Wellbutrin can help restore libido.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2018 8:59 PM

I tried it before. Vivid nightmares. Slowed down/stopped hair growth (I could tell because I was coloring my hair at the time). Doctor took me off the medication.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2018 9:07 PM

Omg I forgot about vivid dreams, too!

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2018 9:10 PM

I took it once. It made me extremely shaky, but it didn't do anything for my depression. I quit after about two months. The only good thing about it is that it's one of the few anti-depressants that doesn't cause you to gain weight.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2018 9:51 PM

It doesn’t matter what it did or did not do for other people. The only way to know is to try it.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2018 10:01 PM

Made me feel suicidal.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2018 10:52 PM

I take it. Have for over a decade. Shaky hands and suppressed appetite but great. Takes away emotions unless they are very deep and shocking but after the shock automatically adjust one's emotions. I also have a greater focus. But I still get depressed just doesn't last as long and I can feel it coming. It will effect sleep. Take something for sleep. Even if it's just over the counter. But it helps me a great deal and I lost weight. That can only make you feel better.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2018 11:48 PM

I take 300XL Wellbutrin with 20 mg of Prozac. I guess it does something. I’m afraid to stop taking it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2018 12:07 AM

It can have the same side effects as Chantix (for smoking): rage, suicidal ideation, terrible nightmares. Or it can make you feel much better. I expect your doctor want to try it for a short time to see whether you have problems with the side effects.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2018 12:32 AM

It have me restless legs after a year of using it with no problems. I had to stop taking it.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2018 3:37 AM

OP I took it for about a year, worked very well for me my libido was through the roof. Really helped with my weight and my depression resolved. I came off it because I wanted to try life with no meds, 9 months , so far so good

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2018 3:42 AM

R19 Wellbutrin is Chantrix.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2018 3:45 AM

Oops, sorry, Zyban is Wellbutrin not Chantrix.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2018 3:47 AM

It made me sweat like mad.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2018 6:03 AM

R5 Same here. I formerly had the ability to sit quiet while someone threw a shit fit screaming and hollering, yet I would not engage.

After 3 months on Wellbutrin I started 3 screaming fights with people I know(as opposed to strangers on the street.) I called the doc Fri and said that I need to shift back to Effexor stat. I hate fighting.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2018 6:54 AM

40 mg once a day works great on me. I find it has the added benefit of giving you a little energy boost. And dreams can be quite vivid/

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2018 6:59 AM

Oops...should’ve been 450 mg (300 mg and 150 mg)

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2018 7:01 AM

When my shrink added 20 mg Prozac to my existing dose of 500 mg Wellbutrin, I became completely, ravingly, looningly paranoid within a week. I stopped taking it and fired my shrink, who said, "Well, it's because you're paranoid that you're feeling paranoid." No, fucktwat, I became paranoid only when you added the Prozac.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2018 10:57 AM

I have used Wellbutrin off and on for the past 15 years. Started on it again (my third time) a month ago. Very strange experiences during the first few days, but then it seems to work well. I thought I could live happily without it (weaned off it about six months ago), but I felt the darkness approaching and got back on it stat. I am fairly certain I'll be on it the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2018 1:10 AM

I literally can’t remember what I took during my SSRI days because Effexor XR destroyed my brain.

Apart from Prozac, which worked until it didn’t, There was one that worked but I could not shit at all. There was another that made me gurn and gnash my teeth so much I shattered a filling. There was another that made me sleep 20 hours a day. Another one made me very angry and I lived to pick arguments with people. Another one made me have loose limbs.

Then when tapering off Effexor XR I had to go back in Prozac to tide me over when reducing the last 37.5mg (I had been on 300 and it took me a year to get there) because the side effects were so unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2018 1:24 AM

I tried it for several months. Had no effect on me whatsoever, which is not unusual for me when I have been on different drugs.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2018 1:27 AM

You WILL gain weight, but otherwise feel better.

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2018 1:54 AM

I tried it many years ago and it triggered grand mal seizures. Not that common, but it happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2018 1:57 AM

The only thing that really works for depression is to address what you're running from.

by Anonymousreply 34September 28, 2018 2:35 AM

For some people, r34, that's a shortage of seratonin, perhaps akin to a type 1 diabetic suffering a shortage of insulin. The fact that the brain rather than the pancreas is involved doesn't always mean that therapy alone can work a difference.

by Anonymousreply 35September 28, 2018 9:35 AM

I love this thread and all the dupes that will totally ignore what R34 said!

Carry on! Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 36September 28, 2018 10:26 AM

I am sorry for bumping an old thread, but I was just prescribed Wellbutrin for bipolar depression. I have been in a depressive episode for several months and my usual drug (Lamictal) is not helping. I do nothing, really, but sit around all day, and eat and sleep, and my work is suffering.

I am hoping Wellbutrin improves things

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2021 4:46 PM

It's a third of my cocktail as well. It's the most subtle in terms of noticing a difference IMHO, and i have been on several for the last 25 years. Good luck to you OP and remember that not every drug is going to work for everyone. Finding the right formula might take a while. Be patient.

by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2021 4:53 PM

I've not been on Welbutrin, but a friend of mine was on it briefly and mentioned that one of the side effects of it was weight gain. I've heard conflicting reports with regards to that though, as it's also sold as Contrave, blended with Naltrexone - a drug used to treat those hooked on opiates (and it's also sometimes prescribed for alcoholics).

Zoloft and Celexa were awful imo. Caused total brain fog, made it hard for me to focus on anything, and I just felt "blah" and emotionless all the time. Also, they totally killed my sex drive. It would take me forever to finish, if I was able to at all. Also, if you're a heavy drinker, mixing these and booze will definitely make you act erratic and goofy, much more so than just simply being drunk.

I've been on plain old Prozac for 5 years now, 20mg, and it's been the only thing that has worked for me with minimal side effects. It just simply helps curb my anxiety spikes, it's not some magical "happy" pill.

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2021 5:09 PM

Interesting, r39. My shrink said it can cause decreased appetite.

by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2021 5:25 PM

I know two people who went in wellbutrin and they both lost weight r32. They found it suppressed their appetite.

by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2021 5:33 PM

It didn't do a damn thing for me. I was taking a shit ton of it, too, double-dosing every day.

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2021 5:34 PM

Is Welbutrin the one that an old guy on (I think) Donahue said he had to wear a condom because it sometimes made him spontaneously orgasm?

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2021 6:58 PM

I've heard weight gain being a side effect.

I'd be careful w meds because some people find it damn near impossible to come off without horrible side effects. A lot of docs dont seem to mention that when they start meds, usually people stay on them forever.

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2021 7:48 PM

It did not agree with me, I became agitated while on it.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2021 9:26 PM

[quote]I've not been on Welbutrin, but a friend of mine was on it briefly and mentioned that one of the side effects of it was weight gain.

Weight gain?

Welbutrin is one of the few ones that should be doing the opposite!

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 9:30 PM

I refuse to take Depakote because of the weight gain. It messes with your metabolism. It's a shame, because it really helped curb my obsessive thinking.

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2021 9:36 PM

Everybody’s body chemistry is different, so no one can tell you how you are going to react to a new prescription, and you should take others’ experience with a grain of salt. I took Wellbutrin for smoking cessation, and it made me very suicidal even though I had no prior history of depression or suicidal ideation. On the other hand, I have friends for whom Wellbutrin markedly changed their lives fir the better.

Work with a doctor you trust.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2021 9:38 PM

My doctor told me that the Big Pharm sales reps used to promote it as the happy, skinny, horny drug.

I hasn't increased my sex drive, but it has drastically increased the intensity of my orgasms. The kind that have you thrashing around for a long time and just as you think it's winding down, the aftershocks kick in. Other than that, I haven't really noticed much effect.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2021 10:27 PM

I'm getting my script filled right away r49!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2021 10:32 PM

Vivid bad dreams (not every night). Hair stopped growing (I was dying my hair at the time, so I could see clearly that my hair wasn't growing). It did help, somewhat. Doctor said to stop taking it, though, due to too many side effects.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2021 10:37 PM

Why dont you try it? Being unwilling to make changes or take small risks is a sign of depression!

Also seems like you dont trust your doctor. So why are you still with him?

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 10:39 PM

I’ve used it for over twenty years for depression. It’s been an absolute lifesaver. No side effects except you need to increase the dosage slowly or it will make you jittery. Highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2021 10:39 PM

It made me incredibly anxious. It also suppressed my appetite.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2021 10:45 PM

I used it to quit smoking several years back. Caused short temper, outbursts (it doesn’t have to be about anger though). I felt very energetic and restless. I needed an outlet for that energy. Also vivid dreams. My spouse used it more recently and also experienced the vivid dreams. He was using it for actual depression and it caused some serious suicidal thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote]I took Wellbutrin for smoking cessation, and it made me very suicidal even though I had no prior history of depression or suicidal ideation. On the other hand, I have friends for whom Wellbutrin markedly changed their lives fir the better.

I think, "grain of salt" is a bit too extreme of a phrase here.

We know what potential side effects people might have from the drug because some group over the years has sat down and tabulated how many people seem to be susceptible to whatever side effect that individuals might have experienced.

It's good to know that you felt suicidal because this agrees with the experiences of many others on the drug which is why the drug now has a warning that it could potentially make you suicidal.

I experienced rage like I have never felt before when I first started on the drug. Again, another potential side effect. I also had this weird thing where it felt like people were touching my feet which is again enough potential side effect of the drug. All of that eventually went away for me because I stuck with it.

[quote]I hasn't increased my sex drive, but it has drastically increased the intensity of my orgasms.

There are days where I can cum 4 or 5 times in a day without ever feeling tired or like I don't have more to give. There are days when I shoot like a geyser, straight over my shoulder. There are days when I cum so much that I'm literally frightened of what's coming out of my dick. It's just a never ending pool of bright white cum. I had an ex that got tired of me fucking him so he said we had to think of new things to do that didn't involve that!

Yes, Wellbutrin causing an increased sex drive and hypersexuality are potential side effects people often experience.

For that reason it's also often used to treat sexual dysfunction!

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2021 10:49 PM

I've been taking it for the better part of twenty years. I did experience the raginess for the first couple of weeks, as well as some jitteriness, mild insomnia, and anxiety. But those faded quickly, and paradoxically, it lessens my anxiety a great deal, not to mention my depression and consequent lack of motivation.

As others have said, you have to try it to see how you'll react. Wishing you a positive outcome, whatever you decide to do.

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2021 11:03 PM

My doc added it to my lexapro because I became the calmest laziest slug who wouldnt get out bed. It felt like drinking 3 shots of espresso everyday, I was wired and got everything and more done and my house was super clean. I told my doc i would rather be a lazy worthless snail, this was the real me.

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2021 11:49 PM

I took it for about a year for depression /loss of libido and it worked great. I didn’t gain weight, had very vivid (but not disturbing) dreams too. The only thing to watch for is you can get enraged quickly, I scared myself at the intensity of my anger 2x during the time i was taking it.

by Anonymousreply 59February 11, 2021 12:07 AM

5 weeks of Wellbutrin did more for me than 25 years of talk therapy. Prozac made me nearly suicidal. Earlier anti-depressants worked for 1 to 3 months and then had no effect. Wellbutrin still works all these years later. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 60February 11, 2021 5:41 AM

I know it's 99.9% a placebo effect, but I already feel more energetic and less depressed after a single dose. And much more motivated.

by Anonymousreply 61February 11, 2021 11:47 AM

Has anyone experienced joint pain while on Wellbruitin?

I took my first dose yesterday morning and woke up around last night 2AM with aching hips, one much worse than the other. For a while I chalked it up to aging (I'm 37), then remembered I just started Wellbutrin yesterday. I looked it up and joint pain is a side effect.

I hope this side effect goes away.

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2021 10:30 AM

It was great at first, I lost weight, I quit smoking, I had energy, the vivid dreams were actually an interesting side effect, because I rarely have nightmares. After 8 years It stopped working on me, really unfortunate. Just take it, you can see, it has different effects on different people.

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2021 11:16 AM

I took it years ago and it was like speed for me.

I filled my Rx and took my first pill at work. Hours later I was standing on my desk dusting the top of a hutch and wondering why I had never done that before. Around 10:00 pm, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor with my heart racing and I suddenly thought, "I'm acting like a meth addict. What is wrong with...oh!"

I adjusted. It made me feel happy. Like, beaming with joy.

It also seriously exacerbated tremors I have to the point of making me shake visibly. A coworker looked at me one day and asked if I have Parkinson's. I didn't connect the tremors with the drug at first. I began to sweat and feel hot all the time, and I gained a lot of weight.

Eventually, I discontinued the drug and all those symptoms went away within a few weeks. Years later, I was severely depressed again and I took the wellbutrin again and that confirmed all the symptoms were caused by it.

I will note that I had undiagnosed Lyme disease during this time and it caused neurological and psychiatric problems, and that may have affected how my body reacted to the drug. I still would not take it again. It made me feel very happy moodwise but also how I imagine people feel when they are high on amphetamines. The only similar feeling I've ever had in life have been during isolated moments of real joy and for a short while in college when I took energy drinks and mints with ephedra in them, not realizing associated risks from the natural herbal supplement. (It was banned shortly thereafter for causing sudden cardiac arresr in young people.)

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2021 11:46 AM

r64 according to (perhaps questionable) sources online, some people crush and snort Wellbutrin.

by Anonymousreply 65February 12, 2021 6:57 PM

^^^ I'm with R64 as far as the "shakes," nervousness and excess energy.

I have been "on" Wellbutrin three different times (and off of it twice, obviously) in the past 20 or so years. All in all, my life is much better being "on" it.

Physically, I found it much easier to quit Wellbutrin than to start it up. As R64 said, the "shakes" and all that were about the same with each of my three start-up periods. The second and third times were easier to manage, though, because I knew what to expect.

For the past few years, I have "landed" on a combination of Wellbutrin and Zoloft, which together seem to work well. I also take Rozerem, which is a non-narcotic, prescription sleeping pill that helps regulate sleep/wake cycles.

My good wishes to you in your quest for a strategy that works for you.

by Anonymousreply 66February 12, 2021 7:22 PM

[quote]I will note that I had undiagnosed Lyme disease during this time and it caused neurological and psychiatric problems, and that may have affected how my body reacted to the drug.

That's an important point. Wellbutrin is known to induce psychosis in some people. Furthermore, if you already have issues it can make them worse at times.

I took it to stop having panic attacks. It works for that. I don't "think" as much on it.

The problem is that the one time I did have a panic attack while I was on it, it was the most epic, horrible, panic attack I have ever had in 30 years. I'm talking on the floor, labored breathing, shaking, pouring sweat etc.

At that point I stopped but then I started up again a couple of years later because ultimately I was so screwed up at that point that the Wellbutrin was better than nothing. (Since I had dreadful side effects to everything else my doctor gave me.)

by Anonymousreply 67February 13, 2021 4:40 AM

I lost my mind on it. I was on it for a week. my boss called my doctor and my doctor called me extremely concerned. ymmv but let someone close to you know you are starting it and to keep an eye on you

by Anonymousreply 68February 13, 2021 4:52 AM

I would use Lexapro instead.

It makes you very relaxed at first, but that wears away.

As an SSRI, it allows your brain to use your own chemistry to create calm because it blocks the parts of your brain that absorb serotonin.

So you're basically getting calm from your own serotonin which is in your system for longer.

by Anonymousreply 69February 13, 2021 11:17 AM

I can't do SSRIs, r69. I have bipolar disorder and they basically send me into a mixed state.

I wish they would develop an MAOI without all the side effects and dietary restrictions. I have depression with atypical features, and MAOIs are very good at treating those particular symptoms. Unfortunately, very few shrinks will prescribe them anymore, because of the side effects.

by Anonymousreply 70February 13, 2021 11:20 AM

For those who've had success on Wellbutrin: how long did it take for it to really kick in for you?

by Anonymousreply 71February 13, 2021 12:42 PM

It gave me olfactory hallucinations. I kept smelling things burning, so much so that I didn't react at all one night when a fire was very close to my house. It also dulled my reaction to every emotion. Father just die? No emotion. Slam your finger in a door? Not a tear. I felt like a zombie. And it was given to me because I felt like I was choking all the time. Turns out I had a fast-growing tumor on my thyroid and I was actually choking. They had stopped looking for any cause other than mental stress once they put me on the meds. Be aware, and definitely let people know to sound an alarm if your behavior goes off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 72February 13, 2021 12:52 PM

R71, I started feeling the effects after just a week. But it took about 5 weeks for it to really "kick in" as you expressed it.

And as others have noted the effects did remind me of meth or speed but without the side effects. i often suspected they are chemically related. And it didn't give me a "high" so much as it seemed to take the weight of the world off my shoulders.

Finding what works for you can be difficult trial and error. What works for you can make things worse for others. SSRIs made me suicidal but Wellbutrin turned my life around. Yet SSRIs have been a Godsend for so many others. Hopefully find a decent doctor who can work through things with you and don't give up.

by Anonymousreply 73February 13, 2021 11:13 PM

If you’ve ever suffered from premature ejaculation, Wellbutrin will cure that overnight. In fact you’ll be lucky if you ever ejaculate while taking it.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2021 2:57 AM

Yes, r74, but take it with the occasional hit of Horny Goat Weed or Yohimbe when needed. Available at most health food stores.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2021 3:01 AM

[quote] Wellbutrin will cure that overnight. In fact you’ll be lucky if you ever ejaculate while taking it.

It's different for everyone. Again, it makes me horny and I ejaculate just fine. I have a couple of friends that went on it and the same thing happened to them too. I have a third friend on it and he has mixed results. Sometimes he cums normally, sometimes he doesn't at all.

[quote]For those who've had success on Wellbutrin: how long did it take for it to really kick in for you?

About a week BUT I had side effects that didn't go away until about a month. So I'd say a week for it to work. 5-ish weeks for everything to level out.

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2021 3:36 AM

It's actually increasing my appetite (day 4).

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2021 1:09 PM

I was on Lexapro which worked until it didn't, then switched to Effexor which was awful. Completely sapped any sex drive and if I didn't take it exactly on schedule I'd get brain zaps and if I accidentally took it on an empty stomach I'd have nausea like I've never experienced. After that we tried Wellbutrin and it was a miracle. I could suddenly come again. I lost weight. On paper it shouldn't have been the drug that worked for me because of other potential side effects, but it turned out to be the solution. It's been about 4 years and it's still working so I'm going to cross my fingers it keeps helping.

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2021 4:56 PM

I'm using it. Low mood = low energy, so it's there to help me feel energised. It works on its own too, though in my case it's now an addition to my Pristiq.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2021 5:00 PM

I also meant to add that I have not had any side effects.

by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2021 5:01 PM

For those whose energy has been increased: what is your dosage?

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2021 5:02 PM

I take a 300mg XR and a 100mg SR which my doctor tells me is the highest dosage for depression. We were at 300 but adding the extra 100 really made a difference.

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2021 9:45 PM

It triggered Grand Mal seizures for me, I was also told not that common but it's more common than they like you to think.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2021 9:55 PM

I was taking 200mg morning and evening, which is what my psychiatrist said was the maximum safe dosage. When the 300mg extended release tabs came out, we tried switching to that and it worked even better, despite the lower dosage.

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] I was also told not that common but it's more common than they like you to think.

Sadly, the higher the dosage, the more common it is R83.

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2021 11:22 PM

Is Wellbutrin ever used for anxiety or in people with both depression and anxiety?

by Anonymousreply 86February 14, 2021 11:28 PM

I've been on it almost a week and my orgasms are definitely improving

by Anonymousreply 87February 17, 2021 12:32 AM

I used to take it, made my left eye quiver. It was like drinking too much coffee.

by Anonymousreply 88February 17, 2021 12:37 AM

Is Wellbutrin just for depression?

by Anonymousreply 89February 17, 2021 12:50 AM

No it’s also for smoking cessation, and I think OCD.

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2021 1:02 AM

Y'all eldergays are over medicated , Ya'll need some good dick and dancing to set ya stuff straight , SMH

by Anonymousreply 91February 17, 2021 2:18 AM

Wellbutrin is also used with low dose naltrexone (which is used for alcoholics to quit drinking) as a weight loss drug. The weight loss drug is $600ish per month, so my sister lied to her doctor and asked for naltrexone to help quit drinking. She takes a fraction of that pill with 150mg Wellbutrin, and has lost a ton of weight.

by Anonymousreply 92February 17, 2021 2:23 AM

I used it to quit smoking. No side effects, just wanted to stop smoking after a while and didn't care. I quit it just as easy.

by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2021 2:29 AM

Meds don't work w/matters of psychopathy

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2021 3:47 AM

I took it for three months. I had no side effects for two months, but made the mistake of drinking alcohol while taking it around week 9. The hangover the next day was similar to a crash and burn cocaine one. Other than the one time incident I would recommend it. I felt more in control, relaxed and lost 10 pounds without trying.

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2021 4:11 AM

Anyone with bipolar disorder ever been on Wellbutrin?

by Anonymousreply 96February 20, 2021 5:37 PM

Just came off it. It's one of those that you can just stop taking and have no side effects.

I love it - but it gives me hives. It's happened 3 times now. I love it so much that I kept trying - hoping that the hives were related to something else. Nope, day 10-14 the hives/itchy rash appears. Last time it took 6 weeks for the rash to disappear.

It sucks because it's the only thing that has eve worked for my depression.

Suggestions for any other antidepressants? Terminally depressed here, difficulty holding/finding jobs, getting out of bed etc...life-long problem.

by Anonymousreply 97February 20, 2021 5:47 PM

I lost weight on it. It cut my appetite a bit.

Ultimately it made me a little speedy, tho, so it wasn’t for me, long term. I have anxiety enough.

by Anonymousreply 98February 20, 2021 5:53 PM

It cures autogynephilia

by Anonymousreply 99February 20, 2021 6:09 PM

Okay. I have been on it about a week and a half (100MG).

This morning, I feel completely divorced from reality. Like in a complete haze. I am borderline panicking because everything is unreal, like I am floating and can't get my feet (and mind) back on the ground.

Does anyone know what this is?

by Anonymousreply 100February 21, 2021 1:26 PM

Hysteria. Some people should avoid reading the side effects of the meds

by Anonymousreply 101February 21, 2021 1:47 PM

It takes a while to get use too. It makes many people wired and off the wall for weeks. Many ADs make one tired at first where Wellbutrin does the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 102February 21, 2021 1:55 PM

I took it to stop smoking a few years ago. About 2 weeks in, I had such a huge panic attack freak out that my boyfriend wanted to take me to the local mental hospital. Doc took me off. It also gave me tinnitus that I continued to have for years.

by Anonymousreply 103February 21, 2021 2:07 PM

r103 what's your primary diagnosis? (Just curious; I'm bipolar and taking it for a depressive episode that's not improving)

by Anonymousreply 104February 21, 2021 2:09 PM

I'm a classical instrumental musician. On Wellbutrin years ago for anxiety and OCD when I was at university, I started having episodes of memory loss, which was problematic enough, but then came the seizures, which I wasn't aware of at first, but then one of them occurred during a performance jury on stage in front of the faculty, causing my instrument to drop and break on the floor. I went off Wellbutrin without a second thought after that and then was on Paxil for three years (which also sucked because it inhibited orgasms) before I just ended the SSRI's altogether and overhauled my life instead with the end of a dysfunctional relationship and an overseas move for an orchestra job.

No drugs at all for the past 18 years; I'm very happy and in control, with a great career and home life. I think just getting away from the assholes who were in my life before was key.

by Anonymousreply 105February 21, 2021 2:11 PM

PRISTIQ!

by Anonymousreply 106February 21, 2021 2:45 PM

13 years of Effexor XR and the last nine on Pristiq plus edging has meant that basically I cum dust. Great but increasingly fewer as I age head tripping physically spasmodic orgasms with minimal dna evidence outside of precum Had not pondered the contribution of Wellbutrin, which I just realized I've been on now for seven years. Fuck. Three years at 450 mg and the last four at 300, I take it with the Pristiq and a couple of other daily non-psych meds. Well if we add that into the hypotheticals for determining what if any contributing factors pharmaceuticals may have played in the role of cum nuker we may have a contested race.

I'm still alive. Far far too many of my friends are not. I know I wouldn't be possible for me without meds. That semen joined serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine in terms of things I apparently don't have enough of is a price I'm still willing to pay.

Time and aging are something I still need to learn to play nice with.

by Anonymousreply 107February 21, 2021 5:38 PM

Every SSRI I've tried has either not worked, or stopped working after a while, My primary diagnosis is severe clinical depression and severe generalized anxiety disorder, can Welbutrin be used for depression if you also have severe anxiety?

by Anonymousreply 108February 21, 2021 7:56 PM

I went off Welbutrin due to the vivid dreams (if you've never experienced a drug-induced vivid dream--trust me, they are no bueno) and sexual disfunction (couldn't get erect) back in the late 90s but my new doc put be back on it a few years ago and I love it. No upsetting dreams, plenty of hard ons and I also haven't slept a Saturday away since I've been on it. I really like how it keeps me motivated, I've gotten a lot done even if it's just reading rather than sleeping which is how I spent a LOT of years when I wasn't on the drug.

by Anonymousreply 109February 21, 2021 8:42 PM

I have NEVER had dreams like the dreams I had on Seroquel.

by Anonymousreply 110February 21, 2021 8:49 PM

What does a Wellbutrin "high" or "buzz" feel like to those who experience it?

For me, it's almost like being on Valium. Or maybe that's when it starts to wear off ...

by Anonymousreply 111February 21, 2021 10:27 PM

Okay ... almost two weeks in. And now Wellbutrin is producing a definite euphoria in the afternoon for me.

Or maybe this is what it feels like to not be depressed?

by Anonymousreply 112February 22, 2021 4:29 PM

It's **almost** like an ecstasy high.

by Anonymousreply 113February 22, 2021 5:10 PM

Fuck you all who can take it. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 114February 23, 2021 11:54 PM

I didn’t read through the thread, so i don’t know if this has been mentioned or not.

my Dr. explained to me that Wellbutrin is the “started” anti-depression drug that he likes to put his patients on because it has the least side effects. It didn’t work for me on depression and the side effect I experienced was the inability to reach a climax/orgasm. So i stopped almost immediately. I need my daily jerkoff to start the day and BF was working himself silly trying to get me off to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 115February 24, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote]BF was working himself silly trying to get me off to no avail.

This is hot r115!

by Anonymousreply 116February 24, 2021 12:18 AM

R116, it is 115’s BF here. He showed your post and although you might think that is sexy, that’s ok. But in reality it was really awful trying. We now know it was the drug but at the time, getting fucked for 2 hours plus with no climax on his side was boring as hell. Thank the gods, he got off of Wellbutrin and finally — got off!!! And fucking came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buckets of cum. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 117February 24, 2021 4:18 AM

R108, try some magic mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 118February 24, 2021 4:23 AM

What would happen to people if they suddenly had no access to their 'happy drugs'? Mass suicides? Mass shootings?

by Anonymousreply 119February 24, 2021 4:44 AM

I hated Wellbutrin which did nothing..I finally refused to take it. They finally gave me Quetiapine which will turn you into a zombie.

by Anonymousreply 120February 24, 2021 4:50 AM

Are you handing them out? Are you a pharmaceutical rep?

by Anonymousreply 121February 24, 2021 5:30 AM

I have noticed two things after being on it for close to a month:

1. My anxiety is way down

2. I am a tiny bit more productive

by Anonymousreply 122February 28, 2021 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!