Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Next Superman

Now that Henry Cavill is "out" (refer to the separate thread), who should play Superman next?

And in what direction should they take the character? Lighter in tone? More humorous? More sexual (maybe a flirty bi character)?

What storyline wold you like to see next?

Other thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 15, 2018 2:20 PM

How about we just stop with the ducking superhero franchises?

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2018 7:09 PM

They should bring back that handsome and excellent actor who portrayed Superman in “Superman Returns”.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2018 7:11 PM

Agree with R1. For whatever reason, nobody gives a shit about Superman anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2018 7:13 PM

You are incorrect, madam. Everyone cares about Superman. They just don't give a shit what Warner Bros is doing with the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2018 7:16 PM

For me Christopher Reeves was Superman and all these movies with everyone from Thor to Ironman piled in the script are just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2018 7:16 PM

A proper bulge, a non-rubber suit, a cute smile, an upper lip and legs that work are all I ask.

Oh. And Clark is from Smallville. Not Urbaniahood.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2018 7:18 PM

How about an actual American play Superman next?

I like my Superman's American.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2018 7:18 PM

Reeve

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2018 7:19 PM

Calum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2018 7:19 PM

Actually, the fact is no-one cares about Henry Cavill. He's played Superman but still no-one outside of here could name him. The kids couldn't care less who plays Superman.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2018 7:20 PM

Matt Bomer

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2018 7:31 PM

I'm still available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2018 7:35 PM

r12, see r2.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2018 7:38 PM

Betta be my husband or I will boycott everything!!

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2018 7:42 PM

Funny, but that is actually a Hot Toys Superman action figure in the OP’s pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2018 7:43 PM

They need to go back to light-hearted fair.

Fuck all the doom-and-gloom, dark (literally and psychologically) broody stuff.

We want Superman to be a bright spot on the earth.

I have no clue about casting, though. Maybe a newcomer?

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2018 7:47 PM

super should be portrayed by an african-american woman....or asian.... or bollywood indian

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2018 7:51 PM

It was almost him instead of Henry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2018 7:55 PM

I agree, R16. That's the thing about Superman. His costume is red, blue and yellow, not some muddy variation the costume designer comes up with in a fever dream.

To me, the greatest Superman moment is at the end of the first Reeves movie where he's flying over the Earth and turns and gives a big smile to the camera. That's how corny Supes should be.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2018 7:57 PM

If Matt Bomer’s bag of oranges interacted with Diane Lane’s bag of frozen peas would the universe implode?

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2018 8:00 PM

Life is depressing enough. The US has a psycho president. In two years, we'll be past the tipping point to revert climate change.

Give us a sexy Superman who doesn't act like he's in desperate need of SSRIs, for fuckssake.

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2018 8:00 PM

Exactly, R19.

Corny. He’s supposed to be an adorable dork as Clark and a do-gooder as Superman.

End of.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2018 8:01 PM

Bomer is too old now but 10 years ago he’d have been perfect.

Superman should be played as a hot(ter) version of the Christopher Reeve performance. R22 sums it up perfectly. To cute through the cloying sweetness he needs some massive sex appeal. So someone who looks like Cavill but acts like Reeve, basically.

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2018 8:06 PM

Ummm guys..... Right over here. I've already tested in the role too....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2018 8:09 PM

Matt Boomer seems delusional. Was Danny DeVito also in the running?

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2018 8:10 PM

Nobody should play Superman in the immediate future.

Everybody needs a break.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2018 8:13 PM

Tyler Hoechlin is the perfect Superman, at least in my dreams.

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2018 8:14 PM

R27 - too old, they are going for younger. But Tyler is hot! :P

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2018 8:16 PM

[quote] Tyler Hoechlin is the perfect Superman, at least in my dreams.

I don’t think the American or even Chinese movie-going public would accept a non-white Superman.

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2018 8:16 PM

When did Tyler Hoechlin become non white?

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2018 8:20 PM

Tyler isn't white, R29? Pray tell, what is he?

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2018 8:21 PM

It’s pronounced “Heck-lin”.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2018 8:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2018 8:26 PM

[quote] And rumors are already circulating about who will take the role of the DC Comics favorite. Michael B Jordan's name has been at the top of many lists, according to Deadline, who reported movie studio Warner Bros. 'has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time.'

GTFOH, people all but rioted when Jordan was cast as Johnny Storm. There ain't a studio exec in Hollywood who would be coked out enough to greenlight his casting as the Man of Steel. He wouldn't even be right for Jon Stewart's Green Lantern.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2018 8:35 PM

an all nude superman. Lets see what makes him super

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2018 8:36 PM

R35 is brillant.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2018 8:46 PM

Oh it worked sooooooooo well when Jordon was in Fantastic Four.

I will not watch if Jordon is Superman. Bullshit diversity has gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2018 8:47 PM

WHo is the cutie at R24?

Hell to the no, for Michale B Jordan. People would riot.

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2018 8:48 PM

Batman should be dark and psychological. Superman should light and glossy.

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2018 8:49 PM

Not a fan or a hater but Armie Hammer has a square jaw, blue eyes, and a sort all American look.

He’d need to shave and dye his hair though.

Interestingly he was once cast Batman.

From Wikipedia t Proposed Justice League film

Justice League: Mortal Main article: Justice League in other media § Film In February 2007, during pre-production for The Dark Knight, Warner Bros. hired husband and wife screenwriting duo Michelle and Kieran Mulroney to script a Justice League film[107] featuring a younger Batman in a separate franchise.[108] George Miller was hired to direct the following September,[109] with Armie Hammer cast as Batman a month later[110][111] and Teresa Palmer as Talia al Ghul.[112] Filming had nearly commenced at Fox Studios Australia in Sydney, but was pushed back over the Writer's Guild of America strike, and once more when the Australian Film Commission denied Warner Bros. a 45 percent tax rebate over lack of Australian actors in the film.[113] Production offices were moved to Vancouver Film Studios in Canada for an expected July 2008 start and a planned summer 2009 theatrical release date,[114][115] but Warner Bros. ultimately canceled Justice League following the success of The Dark Knight. Hammer's option on his contract lapsed and the studio was more willing to proceed with Christopher Nolan to finish his trilogy separately with The Dark Knight Rises

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2018 8:54 PM

Oof sorry! That didn’t look that way when I hit post.

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2018 8:56 PM

Armie would be a better Hal Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2018 8:56 PM

I know that DC has clauses that certain characters will always be “white”, like Spider Man. So I would assume that DC has something similar in place, at least for the core three.

Personally, I think Superman should have black hair and blue eyes and be white and maybe with a little flavor. Someone like Colin Egglesfield.

by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2018 8:58 PM

I mean Marvel, not DC.

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2018 9:00 PM

What do you mean by “flavor”, R43?

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2018 9:00 PM

That thirsty bitch Hiddleston is done at Marvel, isn't he? Bet she has been banging on every door at AN, offering herself as Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman

by Anonymousreply 46September 12, 2018 9:03 PM

R45, DL uses the term “adjacent”. I like to more polite and say “white with a little flavor added”

by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2018 9:05 PM

Thanks, R47. That Colin guy doesn’t look like he has any flavor though.

by Anonymousreply 48September 12, 2018 9:08 PM

I think Jimmy Garropolo would be perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 12, 2018 9:08 PM

[quote] I think Jimmy Garropolo would be perfect.

Same issue as with Hoechlin.

by Anonymousreply 50September 12, 2018 9:09 PM

Sorry. Garoppolo

by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2018 9:09 PM

Superman is an illegal alien. The actor who'll play him doesn't have to be a native of Hicksville, USA.

by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2018 9:11 PM

Garoppolo has the perfect look. He has flavor for days. He is only 26. Perfect age.

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2018 9:13 PM

But he has to blend into Smallville.

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2018 9:14 PM

They need better scripts and a more colorful palette

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2018 9:40 PM

I'd love to see the next movie feature Bizzaro as the villain. Then the action can take place in an alternate universe to really showcase Superman's powers. On earth, he has to be so timid about using them because God forbid he hurt anyone.

by Anonymousreply 56September 12, 2018 9:51 PM

[quote] On earth, he has to be so timid about using them because God forbid he hurt anyone.

WHAT?

When Superman (Henry Cavill) and his nemesis General Zod (Michael Shannon) duke it out for almost the entire third act of the movie, their incredible speed and power are largely on display in Metropolis, the fictional city that is largely based on New York.

In a study done exclusively for BuzzFeed, scientist and longtime disaster expert Charles Watson worked with his team at Watson Technical Consulting to model and anticipate the damage done to Metropolis, both in the form of human casualties and monetary cost. They ran analyses of the World Engine ground zero in Central Manhattan and central Chicago, finding that the major damage would be a mile in diameter.

WTC estimates that, in the days after the attack, the known damage would already be stunning: 129,000 known killed, over 250,000 missing (most of whom would have also died), and nearly a million injured.

The impact, WTC writes, "seemed to be similar to an air burst from a 20kt nuclear explosion in terms of shock effects, but without the radiation or thermal effects."

In terms of the strictly physical damage done to the city, the initial estimate is $700 billion. To put that in context, 9/11's physical damage cost $55 billion, with a further economic impact of $123 billion.

Overall, WTC estimates that the damage would be $2 trillion.

The numbers are staggering, but then, so is the imagery. Superman and Zod's battle is one of epic proportions, these two superhumans from a distant planet laying waste to the gleaming city. They toss each other into buildings, with each crash easily blowing holes through the architecture and sending the towers — and the many people inside of them — free-falling to the broken pavement below.

The rain of searing wreckage blew streets apart; people became trapped under fallen buildings and overturned cars, crushed beneath facades and hot and twisted metal. The onslaught from the back-and-forth battle was random and merciless; the two Kryptonians paid little attention to the damage they were doing to anything but each other.

by Anonymousreply 57September 12, 2018 10:02 PM

Kneel before Zod!

by Anonymousreply 58September 12, 2018 10:04 PM

Cavill was perfect. The direction should have been, and should be in the future to have him more lighthearted, smiling, exhuding kindness, a bit candid. Cavill could have done that and he would have been better smiling sweetly than trying to attempt a dour scowl. Give it back to Cavill, I say. Give him a real chance instead of asking him to play against character.

Then again, maybe he wants to move to other things.

by Anonymousreply 59September 12, 2018 10:10 PM

[quote]Same issue as with Hoechlin.

That issue being?

by Anonymousreply 60September 12, 2018 10:12 PM

How old is Clark Kent/Superman supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 61September 12, 2018 10:32 PM

Agree with you R59

by Anonymousreply 62September 12, 2018 10:42 PM

Cavil was perfect but they wasted him. Who was his Lois Lane ? I don’t even remember but I’m sure she wasn’t no Margot Kidder.

by Anonymousreply 63September 12, 2018 11:31 PM

Michael B Jordan's Lois Lane?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 12, 2018 11:38 PM

I hope that tragic who adores that rat faced-Pakistani Zaid Whatever doesn't start posting here.

by Anonymousreply 65September 12, 2018 11:55 PM

Next time in English, ok r65?

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2018 12:16 AM

[quote] How old is Clark Kent/Superman supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2018 12:49 AM

Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, and Henry Cavill were each well cast in the role. They each have that drop-dead gorgeous look that'll make you stop in your tracks just to stare at them. Chris had the affability and aw-shucks personality that made you believe he really was Clark Kent. Brandon Routh has the soft-spokeness and quiet strength that served to underscore Superman's gentleness. Henry has the raw power that makes you believe Superman can kick some serious ass.

I'm not sure which known actor can pull off all of these characteristics, including the tall, dark, and handsome requirements. Garoppolo is hot and his look is spot on, but that won't ever happen unless he can act and his football career ends tomorrow. Bomer is too "old." It has to be someone with an American look because Superman was raised in Kansas from infancy.

Physical requirements:

* Tall (preferably 6'4')

* Brunet

* Blue eyes

* Extremely handsome

* Heavily muscled

* Nice bulge (just for us guys)

* Deep voice

* I think he should be smooth, but Henry's hairiness really did it for me too

I don't know of any current actors that possess all of these traits, but maybe some young unknown (or relatively unknown) would fit the bill. Someone in his early 20s who can play the unattached Superman who just recently left Smallville and is still trying to figure out who he is.

For the next installment, it would be great if they put Lois in the background (or left her out entirely) and explored his relationship with Jimmy O. a little more. Or maybe another male superhero sidekick (Superboy?).

And, please, no Lex Luthor!

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2018 4:35 AM

A different Lex Luthor.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2018 4:44 AM

DL fave Cillian Murphy should be the next Superman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2018 4:49 AM

Brant Daugherty, please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2018 4:51 AM

Brant Daugherty, please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2018 4:52 AM

Brant is a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2018 4:56 AM

Brant Daugherty, please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2018 5:10 AM

They are saying they want to take Kal-el in a DIFERENT direction. So NO Tall, Brunet, Blue eyes, Extremely handsome, Heavily muscled, Nice bulge (just for you guys), OR Deep voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 13, 2018 5:18 AM

Unfortunately, Brant is only slightly younger (about 2 years) than Henry. He'd be in the same boat. Maybe someone under 25?

Like maybe *this* guy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 13, 2018 5:48 AM

Who is that, R76? Pity about the tattoo. Perhaps that could be removed.

by Anonymousreply 77September 13, 2018 5:51 AM

That's me. Heh heh. Yeah, I regret the tat.

by Anonymousreply 78September 13, 2018 5:57 AM

Is that really you r78? You're cute. Nice blue eyes. Good body.

But yeah, ditch the tat.

by Anonymousreply 79September 13, 2018 12:57 PM

To carry a franchise for a decade or so he needs to be well under 35. Ideally about 25-28.

Who are we casting for Batman?

by Anonymousreply 80September 13, 2018 2:08 PM

R11 That's... Just crazy enough to work!

by Anonymousreply 81September 13, 2018 2:11 PM

I vote for someone without saggy titties and reeking of days old sweat who can also chose shirts without stains, R80.

by Anonymousreply 82September 13, 2018 2:19 PM

Dean Cain. He's American, DJT.

by Anonymousreply 83September 13, 2018 3:06 PM

[Quote] too old, they are going for younger. But Tyler is hot! :P

31 is considered old?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 13, 2018 3:22 PM

Ryan Paevey has the right look to play Superman. He's 33, a model turned actor. Biggest claim to fame is 4 years on General Hospital (remember Chris Reeve started out on the soaps). Has also starred in several of those Hallmark and/or Lifetime romantic comedy movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 13, 2018 3:36 PM

There's speculation they will go a different direction and use a black Superman, like Michael B. Jordan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 13, 2018 3:38 PM

I'm so tired of this black bond black superman black whatever. Is just a marketing gimmick.

Sure we need more black presence in all media across the board. So the studios and filmmakers need to get off their lazy greedy asses and make up some new ones and earn their pay.

by Anonymousreply 87September 13, 2018 4:08 PM

I have two words for you: inclusion rider.

by Anonymousreply 88September 13, 2018 4:10 PM

I am sure they are putting MBJ's name out there to see what the reaction is. I've seen that on numerous sites. Would that mean his planet would be black too? I wouldn't doubt them trying this, I know black people who paid to see Black Panther 10 times or more because they were so overwhelmed seeing the depiction of a black community in Africa that was intelligent, advanced, smart, etc. They would have this in Superman with a black planet more advanced than Earth.

by Anonymousreply 89September 13, 2018 4:14 PM

It's funny - I have no problem with a black Bond, but a black Superman would idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 90September 13, 2018 4:16 PM

[Quote] but a black Superman would idiotic.

Why??

by Anonymousreply 91September 13, 2018 4:17 PM

Jared Padalecki?

by Anonymousreply 92September 13, 2018 4:20 PM

R92 No

by Anonymousreply 93September 13, 2018 4:21 PM

[quote]but a black Superman would idiotic.

[quote]Why??

There's no particular reason why Bond needs to be a particular race. Altering his race from the original concept, especially today in a much more global society, doesn't change the underlying storytelling.

Superman is already and "outsider" by being from another planet - that is the basis of his being "other." Adding race into the mix alters the story and would be purely for diversity.

by Anonymousreply 94September 13, 2018 4:31 PM

[Quote] Superman is already and "outsider" by being from another planet - that is the basis of his being "other." Adding race into the mix alters the story and would be purely for diversity.

Hmm still not seeing the problem with it but i don't think they'll go in that direction anyway.

by Anonymousreply 95September 13, 2018 4:49 PM

R92, they are able to do A LOT with CGI nowadays but there's no hiding JPad's air craft sized carrier forehead.

He would be a perfect Sinestro, though

by Anonymousreply 96September 13, 2018 4:55 PM

[Quote] they are able to do A LOT with CGI nowadays but there's no hiding JPad's air craft sized carrier forehead. He would be a perfect Sinestro, though

Lol yes!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 13, 2018 5:03 PM

Brock O'Hurn is perfect age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 13, 2018 7:42 PM

R84--With Supergirl going next, they will need a younger Superman as Supergirl is supposed to be older.

by Anonymousreply 99September 13, 2018 7:45 PM

Christopher Reeve was handsome , could act, had class.. and played both parts well . He was hot and believable as Clark Kent . There are too many tacky bells and whistles in these movies today . Steroids are also killing the whole image . Sad .

by Anonymousreply 100September 13, 2018 7:49 PM

R38-Dylan Sprayberry--he played younger version of Superman in Man of Steel (and no not a porn version--:p )

He was in Teen Wolf too. He is hairy too so that would be a bonus keeping with Cavill's hairy version of Superman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 13, 2018 7:49 PM

Could Henry Cavill play Supergirl?

by Anonymousreply 102September 13, 2018 7:49 PM

Christopher Reeve played the Kent/Superman combination the way Judy Garland went from her speaking voice to her singing voice - seamlessly. That's why he was indispensable as the character.

Ha. I thought of that when I was drunk last night.

by Anonymousreply 103September 13, 2018 8:51 PM

AND his Kent informed his Superman and vice versa. It wasn't simply switching the character from nerdy to heroic, both sides were made clearer in the transition. It's a genius performance. (I'm thinking of the first one especially.)

by Anonymousreply 104September 13, 2018 8:53 PM

I agree, R104. Reeve was an underrated actor.

by Anonymousreply 105September 13, 2018 8:57 PM

Christopher Reeve or George Reeve

by Anonymousreply 106September 13, 2018 8:59 PM

George ReeveS

by Anonymousreply 107September 13, 2018 9:02 PM

Good point, R103-104. They haven't played with that aspect of the character in the recent films/scripts.

The more I think about it, the more I realise they withdrew most of the fun elements from the characters.

by Anonymousreply 108September 13, 2018 9:08 PM

No.

Not George Reeves.

I’m mad at him, he hasn’t Been near me all day and I wore this old dress just because I thought he liked it! I was counting on eating barbecue with him!

by Anonymousreply 109September 13, 2018 9:17 PM

R99 Fair enough.

R102 I'd pay money to see that.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2018 2:26 PM

[quote] I'd pay money to see that

Why?

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2018 4:10 PM

R111 I was joking....mostly.

by Anonymousreply 112September 15, 2018 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!