Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dirk Bogarde comes across as such a bitchy, superior old queen in this interview.

Sad he had to keep saying he didn't want to have anyone in his life - when he had a partner he lived with for years in that very house. I mean, it's just a lie.

I know it's a long clip (almost 12 mins) but worth watching. I'd be interested to hear what you think. Rather than not bothering to watch and commenting anyway.

Fascinating the thing he says about his house in France, that it was used to hide Jewish children in the war before they were secretly shipped out to Barcelona and shows their names, scribbled on the walls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232November 20, 2018 11:12 PM

He was basically retired by 1981 and living in France with his long term partner Tony Forwood.

If Tony hadn't got cancer in 1983 and died in 1988 I think he may have even come out (not that he really needed to).

His family contributed to a very frank and honest documentary about him (and Tony) in 2001 - The Private Dirk Bogarde

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2018 9:58 PM

That's such a good documentary, R1. Thanks for the link.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2018 10:01 PM

Never heard of him. Must be an eldergay thing.

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2018 10:03 PM

Wasn't he supposed to be a heartthrob that all the gals swooned for back in the day? Hard to see it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2018 10:08 PM

I read one of the volumes of his memoirs long time ago. I liked his writing style, it was so elegant. My memory is of this glamorous yet down-to-earth chap that took the business of acting seriously and seemed comfortable in his own skin especially with his sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2018 10:54 PM

Well if you think his old world elegance, style and honesty are bitchy and superior what can one say except that people who know you have the misfortune of dealing with your bitchiness and superiority.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2018 11:40 PM

When I first saw him in "The Damned" on cable when I was 12, I swear I thought it was Desi Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2018 11:45 PM

R6 is an attractive man. Well loved.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2018 11:51 PM

One of his best performances that I've seen is as the ne'er-do-well father in "Our Mother's House". Very different from the usual roles he was cast (or typecast) in, and a pretty good movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2018 11:53 PM

If you are a true card carrying gay you need to know about Dirk Bogarde. A fearless actor who took many chances which ultimately hurt his career. The very definition of suave. See the Servant or read his autobiographies. He was a Rupert Everett kind of Englishman,.. 60's vintage.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2018 11:54 PM

The Servant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2018 11:56 PM

Our Mother's House was a Brit spin off of Eight Is Enough

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2018 11:59 PM

If his preferred version of England was disappeared by the relatively sane year of 1981 I cant imagine what he’d think of the place if he saw it now.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2018 12:02 AM

He does come across as insufferable in that clip, particularly starting around 8:55, and not the brightest bulb.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2018 12:02 AM

Love him. He was gorgeous in the 40s and 50s

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2018 12:04 AM

Wow - this thread is so dull ...

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2018 12:06 AM

[quote]If his preferred version of England was disappeared by the relatively sane year of 1981 I cant imagine what he’d think of the place if he saw it now.

Yes! OMG!

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2018 12:07 AM

in that documentary linked ealrier- you can see his nephew hated him and his sister was like "major eye-roll".

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2018 12:09 AM

He was a chav at heart. And I hear he loved Muhammudans, they say.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2018 12:10 AM

[quote]you can see his nephew hated him and his sister was like "major eye-roll".

He had another nephew who was VERY handsome whom he adored and left most of his money to.

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2018 12:12 AM

He wrote several autobiographies, which many middle class fraus adored. I found them very depressing. Why write them if you're essentially in hiding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2018 12:16 AM

I see absolutely nothing super bitchy or superior about his demeanor in that video. He was cordial, dignified, elegant, and basically himself. Why should a person who was either born with or taught to act with class and dignity act any lesser at any point in time?

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2018 12:24 AM

[quote]Muhammudans

What are you, like some incel retard?

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2018 12:29 AM

R12 It's true. Yootha Joyce played the Betty Buckley/Abby figure, struggling to replace the dead mom in everyone's hearts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2018 12:30 AM

OP, he was not a bitchy queen. You’re totally incorrect, and your opinion is absurd. Dirk Bogarde was from an era when actors were expected to be eloquent, well versed, gentleman. Perez Hilton and Andy Cohen are bitchy queens, not Dirk Bogarde.

He was a supremely talent actor. He was a classic movie star with charm and grace; a true gentleman. The interview was excellent and entertaining.

He refused to discuss his private life, but that was his choice. He seemed very honest and genuine overall.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2018 12:34 AM

I remember seeing a few of his films on tv when growing up and thinking he was handsome.

And know he was one of the few british actors to break out of their hunk/hearthrob status in the 1950s to become a very well respected actor. He turned into a bitter queen when he was old right enough. But I read an interview where they alluded to a very dark sadistic streak.

He told a woman friend (maybe she was a reporter) about something he had done to a cat in an alleyway once . She was deeply disturbed and never went into details or they didn't print it but I've never forgotten that.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2018 12:40 AM

Here's an interview where he's still nice looking and some of his charm comes through.

When they go in for a close up of him from the 04:30 mark , he's kind of adorable and I can see why he became a pin up for the girls and a sure;y few of the boys in the 1950s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2018 12:50 AM

I loved him in the movie The Password is Courage also starring openly hot gay actor Alfred Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2018 1:03 AM

R7, Oh wow. I totally see the resemblance to Desi Arnaz now that you mentioned it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2018 1:06 AM

Anyone who doesn't recognise Bogarde was a miserable artificial closet queen is simply not familiar enough with him

That said he was a fine actor and he awakened something in me as a young boy that I now realize was my gay attraction to him. He was dark and handsome, his diction was delicious and clothes hung on him magnificently. He was a star

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2018 1:19 AM

[quote]OP, he was not a bitchy queen. You’re totally incorrect, and your opinion is absurd. Dirk Bogarde was from an era when actors were expected to be eloquent, well versed, gentleman. Perez Hilton and Andy Cohen are bitchy queens, not Dirk Bogarde.

You clearly didn't bother to watch the interview or you did and you're very thick.

Actually, you're clearly very thick, so don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2018 1:23 AM

What was he miserable about? He had a life of which millions of gay men could only dream.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2018 1:25 AM

You can see from his home videos how much more elegant was the life of a top actor in the 50s and 60s - especially one who loved to travel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2018 1:31 AM

He was miserably closeted. He submitted himself to electric shock therapy in an attempt to fry away the gay.

He was miserably fearful of being outed. It was a difficult time in the UK when being gay was illegal and police worked to entrap gays.

He lied about his relationship with Tony which was a bit laughable because everybody knew they were together.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2018 1:32 AM

In the video @ R1 - he says he was in love with Capucine (& that he asked her to marry him and she turned him down) and his sister was like "Yeah, right".

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2018 1:34 AM

Yes, the sister was hilarious.

Didn't he leave her no money at all and she had to go to court. Something like that.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2018 1:36 AM

He lied a lot.

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2018 1:36 AM

He lived with Forwood for decades while being miserably closeted? Even while in France for 11 years as in the video (pre Forwood's cancer)?

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2018 1:38 AM

I love the way actors posed with cigarettes in those days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2018 1:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2018 1:42 AM

Tony was married to Glynis Johns before he hooked up with Dirk!

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2018 1:48 AM

Great sunglasses in the video @ R33!

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2018 1:56 AM

Didn't he star in Victim? That was ballsy of him.

by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2018 1:57 AM

Attention closet cases: If you act like your life is something to be ashamed of straight people will assume you are correct. But you are not fooling anyone but yourself.

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2018 3:06 AM

"I loved him in the movie The Password is Courage also starring openly hot gay actor Alfred Lynch."

I've seen Alfred Lynch in a couple of things and didn't realize he was gay. Good actor.

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2018 3:13 AM

Was it John Frasier who wrote that DB didn't realize how fey he was?

by Anonymousreply 46September 12, 2018 5:07 AM

OP is a very old very ugly bitter queen.

by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2018 1:32 PM

My intro to him was the 1977 iteration of "Providence" directed by Alain Resnais with an amazing cast: Gielgud, Bogarde, Ellen Burstyn, Elaine Stritch et al. Sondheim was to have written the score but backed out.

Bogarde seemed tortured. Art imitating life, I guess. Gielgud said it was one of the two film performances (the other being Brideshead Revisited) he was proud of...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 12, 2018 1:48 PM

^ I wonder what those two queens were talking about behind the scenes?

by Anonymousreply 49September 12, 2018 2:55 PM

[quote] Dirk Bogarde comes across as such a bitchy, superior old queen

Making him really no different than 99.9% of gay men.

by Anonymousreply 50September 12, 2018 6:44 PM

R9, Ian McEwan wholesale ripped off Our Mother’s House, book and film, in writing his novel The Cement Garden.

by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2018 6:52 PM

R50 = homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2018 7:00 PM

OK DL sleuths; name one actor who came out as gay before AIDS? Oh, and if there is one did they continue to have a career? 2018 does not apply to 1966, He was brave in his choice of roles, playing a coded gay man/relationship, especially in the Servant

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2018 8:34 PM

William Haines and no his career was finished.

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2018 8:49 PM

R53 You couldn't come out more spectacularly than [BOLD] Sir John Gielgud [/BOLD] did in 1953 ( not exactly voluntarily admittedly) and he had a pretty good career afterwards. He won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. His film work further earned him a Golden Globe Award and two BAFTAs.

He even has a Theatre named after him.

[QUOTE] on the evening of 20 October 1953, Gielgud, usually highly discreet about casual sex, was arrested in Chelsea for cruising in a public lavatory. Until the 1960s sexual activity of any kind between men was illegal in Britain. The Home Secretary of the day, David Maxwell Fyfe, was fervently homophobic, urging the police to arrest anyone who contravened the Victorian laws against homosexuality. Gielgud was fined; when the press reported the story, he thought his disgrace would end his career. When the news broke he was in Liverpool on the pre-London tour of a new play, A Day by the Sea. According to the biographer Richard Huggett, Gielgud was so paralysed by nerves that the prospect of going onstage as usual seemed impossible, but his fellow players, led by Sybil Thorndike, encouraged him:

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2018 9:08 PM

^ That anecdote makes me love Sybil Thorndyke

by Anonymousreply 56September 12, 2018 9:09 PM

R23 bingo! You go it

by Anonymousreply 57September 12, 2018 9:23 PM

Was Tony the top, or was Dirk?

by Anonymousreply 58September 12, 2018 9:25 PM

[quote]Boy Barrett

lol

by Anonymousreply 59September 12, 2018 9:26 PM

But neither was Gielgud playing roles in major motion pictures that could be in any way construed as romantic. Also the world as a whole wasn't so salacious that they were eagerly wondering what went on in men's rooms in England.

by Anonymousreply 60September 12, 2018 9:42 PM

Gielgud wasn't playing romantic roles before he was outed in 1953 either.

His arrest was pretty much front page news, It left absolutely no doubt (think George Michael)

I thought the question was [BOLD] "OK DL sleuths; name one actor who came out as gay before AIDS? Oh, and if there is one did they continue to have a career? " [/BOLD]

Gielgud fits the bill, you can't change the question after it has been answered.

by Anonymousreply 61September 12, 2018 9:56 PM

Well you did! Gielgud did not 'come out.'

But to be fair you did note you were not answering the question correctly.

by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2018 12:29 AM

He did star in “Victim” one of the first matter of fact gay movies from the UK. Ironically about homosexual blackmail.

by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2018 12:37 AM

You old fat cow stop with the self pity.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2018 12:43 AM

R62 Nor did George Michael or Neil Patrick Harris for that matter - they were also 'outed', splitting hairs a bit there.

Didn't effect either of their careers though.

I suppose Harvey Fierstein doesn't qualify either, even though he's had a pretty successful movie career despite never being in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2018 1:38 AM

Gielgud never officially came out

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2018 2:17 AM

R64 that was my favorite line from the movie...

Uttered by an actess, not necessarily a frau though

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2018 3:01 AM

His books are interesting glimpses into life in a world that no longer exists. His WW2 memoir is quite different than the one depicting his very bucolic childhood (obviously), but they’re both well written and enjoyed them very much - simply because I like history. I did listen to the audiobook versions, but read a few of his later books and liked them as well. Don’t really care for him as an actor though.

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2018 3:55 AM

[quote]I love the way actors posed with cigarettes in those days.

Dirk was often photographed with a fag.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2018 3:57 AM

R68. But his books are full of lies. True, he was a fine author, but, oh dear, she did fabricate.

by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2018 8:54 PM

if you watch the excellent documentary @ R1- you'll all be way better informed on the man.

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2018 8:59 PM

R70 that's the down side of memoirs and autobiographies — the authors tend to embellish the truth ans say a few porkies

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2018 9:05 PM

Isn't that true of all autobiographies? Lots of Lies and fabrications?

Especially anybody who worked in the entertainment industry. The people you had to sleep with, whoring yourself out, cheating on a spouse, the people you stepped on...

Not that any of this bothers me personally(well I don't like the stepping on people part) but for some reason a lot of readers would have problems dealing with these things.

by Anonymousreply 73September 14, 2018 12:48 AM

Bogarde went too far with his war stories. He was no where near freeing prisoners of the death camps. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 74September 14, 2018 1:15 AM

I can't believe people here actually criticise him about being closeted. I mean, sodomy was a crime in Britain in his days. His role in Victim was revolutionary because after it homosexuality was decriminalized. He never married, he lived with his partner for decades.

by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2018 5:34 AM

As you pointed out he was living with Tony for decades, during and after decriminalization I believe it was John Frasier who said it was a pity they didn't come out because they were the finest couple he'd ever met. Utterly devoted

All the Capucine business in his memoirs is embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2018 5:52 AM

[quote]I can't believe people here actually criticise him about being closeted. I mean, sodomy was a crime in Britain in his days. His role in Victim was revolutionary because after it homosexuality was decriminalized. He never married, he lived with his partner for decades.

Gurl, the interview took place in 1981 and he was still making porkies to that woman about not wanting anyone in his life.

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2018 6:49 AM

[quote]Bogarde went too far with his war stories. He was no where near freeing prisoners of the death camps. MARY!

Like many creepy people - he had a weird obsession with "The Jews".

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2018 6:52 AM

R78 That sounds like a Twitter comment; but is it in any relevant to the subject of his thread?

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2018 8:23 AM

[quote]but is it in any relevant to the subject of his thread?

"any relevant"? Bizarre English.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2018 8:33 AM

I am 100% gay and I would have had a long term relationship with Capucine. The whole bit; traveling, holding hands, fabulous dinners and sleeping with her.

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2018 8:54 AM

R, 81 - sure, Jan!!!!

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2018 3:04 PM

R77

So? He grew up in different time. Why do you judge him by today's standards? I mean, in our days of legal gay marriage, we still have closeted celebrities who get married, have children, lie endlessly, despise everything homoerotic. And you shit on Dirk Bogarde? Who lived with his male partner, who was brave enough to star in Victim, The Servant, Death in Venice, who never got married? Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2018 4:27 PM

In 1965 when he co-starred with Laurence Harvey in "Darling," columnist Dorothy Killgallen asked "which one has the title role?"

by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2018 4:39 PM

I love Darling - but all the men are incredibly swish.

by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2018 4:42 PM

LOL, R84!

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2018 4:48 PM

The only gay character in Darling was Malcolm and he was in the closet in real life for years. Even his daughter said "I think we already knew".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2018 4:52 PM

[quote]In 1965 when he co-starred with Laurence Harvey in "Darling," columnist Dorothy Killgallen asked "which one has the title role?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2018 4:55 PM

Dorothy Kilgallen could be a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 89September 14, 2018 10:18 PM

Who is the actor in the photo at r87?

by Anonymousreply 90September 14, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]Dorothy Kilgallen could be a bitch!

She died of an overdose just a few weeks after it was released.

by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2018 10:19 PM

The guy in the pic at R87 is Roland Currum. He's still alive aged 86.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 14, 2018 10:43 PM

I wonder if Schlesinger had Roland?

by Anonymousreply 93September 14, 2018 11:00 PM

In the biog of Schlesinger I read, it said he had Dirk.

by Anonymousreply 94September 14, 2018 11:15 PM

When Dirk moved back to London he was invited to dinner at "World's End" in Chelsea.

He then wrote an article in The Independent, entitled "Half A Life At World's End" - apparently they forgave him.

by Anonymousreply 95September 14, 2018 11:26 PM

R88 Dirk looks quite cute in that picture.

He was gorgeous and as dewy-eyed as a doe in the late 40s.

But then he became a star in the 50s and he wore those awful hard greasy pompadours which were in fashion at the time but looked so unflattering on him.

His character became equally hard because he claims he was being abused by John Davis and Betty Box. And so he responded by being petulant and sulky. He was so upset that Brando didn't want appear with him in the Spanish western called 'The singer not the song' in '61 that Bogarde sabotaged the production by wearing leather and acting as camp as Danny La Rue.

He started to behave again when he got Ito European films in the 60s but he aged quickly after that and did a Garbo so people couldn't examine the crows feet on his former beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 14, 2018 11:26 PM

he half sang/spoke a song for Darling. It's hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 14, 2018 11:28 PM

I love the film Darling. It's one of my all-time faves. People knock it now. But it's still great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 14, 2018 11:32 PM

His "singing" was LUDICROUS!!!!!

So embarrassing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 14, 2018 11:36 PM

lol

by Anonymousreply 100September 14, 2018 11:44 PM

His favourite nephew, and heir, Brock was gorgeous but he lost his looks relatively early. Does anyone know if he's gay? He displayed some promising mannerisms when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 101September 14, 2018 11:48 PM

go to 12:00 and he talks about Tony Forward. Very snippy he gets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 14, 2018 11:52 PM

Dirk seethed with resentment to the UK. Only the continentals could appreciate his specialness.

(I'd love to see videos of the dinner parties with Visconti)

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2018 11:54 PM

[quote]Dirk seethed with resentment to the UK

I think you mean England.

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2018 11:56 PM

Bloody England!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2018 11:57 PM

R101 Looks like Dirk's heir Brock Van den Bogaerde had a son called Sholto Van den Bogaerde , can't find anything else about him.

His son has a profile on Couchsurfing.com.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2018 12:02 AM

By the time he did Daddy Nostalgia he was a doddering old queen yet had some of his charm. He had chemistry with Jane Birkin(his daughter in the film) even though he cane across as a gay single man who was never a father.

by Anonymousreply 107September 15, 2018 12:12 AM

R104 Are you being merely pedantic or are you alluding in particular to something about Mr Bogarde?

by Anonymousreply 108September 15, 2018 12:31 AM

I think R103 was probably correct in saying UK over England. The provinces plus Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland were equally as homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 109September 15, 2018 12:54 AM

"In the biog of Schlesinger I read, it said he had Dirk."

Details, please!

by Anonymousreply 110September 15, 2018 3:09 AM

The Sea Shall Not Have Them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 15, 2018 3:20 AM

One of Noel's best.

by Anonymousreply 112September 15, 2018 4:20 AM

^ Noel may have been. port in a storm during a particular crisis in Michael and Dirk's tempestuous lives but I refuse to believe it was anything more than a sleepover and a few drinks.

by Anonymousreply 113September 15, 2018 4:24 AM

Noel claimed that he had the bed partner that topped, so to speak, them all.

If true he certainly did.

James Cagney.

by Anonymousreply 114September 15, 2018 4:52 AM

R113, The story, according to Sheridan Morley, goes: he was crossing Leicester Square with Noël Coward when they came upon a billboard outside the Odeon that read, "Michael Redgrave and Dirk Bogarde in 'THE SEA SHALL NOT HAVE THEM,'" prompting Noël to quip, "I fail to see why not. Everybody else has."

by Anonymousreply 115September 15, 2018 5:07 AM

R114 - what's this about Cagney?!

by Anonymousreply 116September 15, 2018 1:31 PM

Dirk Bogarde had the same problem about coming out as Rock Hudson -- he became famous as a heartthrob and matinee idol for legions of women fans. That made it all especially awkward for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2018 3:18 PM

R4 What do you mean your ‘age starts with a ’t’? Does that mean you’re aged between 20 and 39?

R5 The problem with his 5 or 6 volumes of memoirs is that they cover the same incidents in the same years so they seem messy and repetitious.

R13 I’m sure Dirk would shrivel up and die like a petal if he returned to see the once-Great Britain as a Welfare State toilet filled with apathy, self-hatred, beggars and goat-people blocking the footpaths.

R24 Yootha Joyce specialised in playing ugly women. Her greatest scene was an overwhelming 5 minute Harold Pinter monologue as a crazy woman verbally-assaulting Anne Bancroft at the hairdressers in the 1964 ‘The Pumpkin Easter’. A terrifying character but a great scene for young actors to do at auditions.

R28 You sound like an Alfred Lynch afficionado. He had so few parts that I can hardly remember him. What do you recommend?

R51 Do you recommend Ian McEwan? His prose is so dense I can’t work my way into it.

R55 I wouldn’t say Gielgud ‘came out… spectacularly’. The British were very good at turning a blind eye to the unpleasant things of life especially when the newspapers also ignored this minor police incident.

The version I heard was Ralph Richardson covered for Gielgud rather than Thorndike. In those days the audience applauded when the star actor first appeared on stage (it was accepted behaviour then even though it broke the rhythm of the play). Gielgud feared the audience would refuse to applaud on his entrance so Richardson arranged to appear at the very same moment.

by Anonymousreply 118September 16, 2018 1:22 AM

R118, R4 is twelve or thirteen.

by Anonymousreply 119September 16, 2018 1:33 AM

Gay British actor John Fraser who was a good friend of Bogarde. In 2004, he published his autobiography, Close Up, in which he wrote frankly about his gay life and friendships.[7] In the book, Fraser wrote that actor Laurence Harvey was gay and that his long-term lover was his manager James Woolf.[8] Of Dirk Bogarde, Fraser wrote, "Dirk's life with [Anthony] Forwood had been so respectable, their love for each other so profound and so enduring, it would have been a glorious day for the pursuit of understanding and the promotion of tolerance if he had screwed up the courage ... to make one dignified allusion to his true nature. Self-love is no substitute for self-respect."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 16, 2018 1:34 AM

R120 John had the perfect lily-faced appearance to play the Lord Alfred Douglas. But it seems he's now hiding that face from the public.

by Anonymousreply 121September 16, 2018 1:43 AM

R4 = 39 year old

by Anonymousreply 122September 16, 2018 1:51 AM

[quote][R4] What do you mean your ‘age starts with a ’t’? Does that mean you’re aged between 20 and 39?

He could be two, three, ten, twelve, or thirteen.

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2018 2:39 AM

Dirk was beautiful in those black and white films.

by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2018 5:27 AM

DIRK BOGARDE was amazing and very attractive in "Night Porter" with Charlotte Rampling (a movie made in the 70s). I admire him because he never used a "beard", no famous women were beards for him, at that time it was very brave and courageous, so to me D.BOGARDE was a REAL MAN.

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2018 11:03 AM

[quote][R28] You sound like an Alfred Lynch afficionado.

why, because he mentioned him once?

[quote] He had so few parts that I can hardly remember him. What do you recommend?

I think his only starring role was in "West 11" which you can now get on DVD and worth tracking down if you like British films of the early 60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2018 11:14 AM

A close friend of Judy's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2018 11:17 AM

Alfred Lynch was pretty cute. Lived openly with is BF long before other actor's did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 16, 2018 11:23 AM

The BF, James Culliford, was also an actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 16, 2018 11:25 AM

Yes, he was the ultimate exemplar of a superior, bitchy queen!

Good thing he isn't alive to see the UK now. I think Joan Collins is only just about hanging on.

by Anonymousreply 130September 16, 2018 11:27 AM

[quote]other actor's did.

Oh, God - what did I do!

by Anonymousreply 131September 16, 2018 11:30 AM

He was very attractive in Night Porter, like r125 said and also in Accident (Joseph Losey,1967). He was almost 50 in 1967, but still hot. He had great chemistry with women (Jacqueline Sassard etc.). Maybe because he was such a talented actor.

by Anonymousreply 132September 16, 2018 11:54 AM

[quote]I admire him because he never used a "beard", no famous women were beards for him, at that time it was very brave and courageous, so to me D.BOGARDE was a REAL MAN.

What about his "romance" with Capucine? The one he had asked to marry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 16, 2018 1:44 PM

R133

I read that was invention of hollywood producers who insisted it was crucial if he wanted career in USA. He was so disgusted that he basically said Fuck Hollywood. But he also was good friends with Capucine. From what i remember, she was very troubled soul.

by Anonymousreply 134September 16, 2018 2:39 PM

"I’m sure Dirk would shrivel up and die like a petal if he returned to see the once-Great Britain as a Welfare State toilet filled with apathy, self-hatred, beggars and goat-people blocking the footpaths."

I bet a lot of smart Britons shrivel at the thought of right-wingers like you.

by Anonymousreply 135September 16, 2018 2:53 PM

[quote]I bet a lot of smart Britons shrivel at the thought of right-wingers like you.

I bet R135 is a Labour voter.

by Anonymousreply 136September 16, 2018 2:56 PM

I bet r136 thinks homosexuality can be cured through prayer

by Anonymousreply 137September 16, 2018 2:58 PM

If true, asking Capucine to marry him wouldn't have been odd. She was a lesbuan, he was gay. It would have been an ideal Lavender Marriage like many of the period.

by Anonymousreply 138September 16, 2018 3:08 PM

I want to read that John Fraser book.

by Anonymousreply 139September 16, 2018 3:08 PM

I think prayer can be cured through homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2018 3:09 PM

R137 Sucker bet. And as a Labour supporter, no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 141September 16, 2018 3:11 PM

Capucine?? Dyke, ya know!

by Anonymousreply 142September 16, 2018 6:01 PM

[quote]If true, asking Capucine to marry him wouldn't have been odd. She was a lesbuan, he was gay. It would have been an ideal Lavender Marriage like many of the period.

He did ask her, she said "Gurl, NO!"

by Anonymousreply 143September 16, 2018 7:25 PM

They were in love, dammit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 16, 2018 8:02 PM

It always surprised me that Capucine wasn't more famous. She was such a beauty. A bit like Ann Firbank, who only ever did bit roles in British films, here in Darling - she had one line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 16, 2018 8:20 PM

She played a lesbian with a jealous lover in The Servant - she had two lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 16, 2018 8:21 PM

and Accident - she seemed to follow Dirk around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 16, 2018 8:22 PM

I've often wondered if Capucine would've had a bigger career if she'd had two names.....or at least one name that everyone could pronounce.

by Anonymousreply 148September 16, 2018 9:43 PM

Capucine sounds like a French toothpaste.

by Anonymousreply 149September 16, 2018 9:45 PM

Yes, it's a terrible name. To me, it sounds like an instant coffee.

by Anonymousreply 150September 16, 2018 9:47 PM

R126 'West Eleven' sounds like a shocker wth 3 camp men in the cast. And so bizarre that Notting Hill was a slum with race riots then but the race riots have since moved tother suburbs.

I guessed Harold Lang was Eric Portman's bum-boy. They made 3 films together and Harold came to a bad end in Cairo.

R134 Dirk's failure to get into Hollywood can't simply be explained as American homophobia.

Dirk was owned by the J.Arthur Rank Company. He hated Rank because they refused to let him play in Vincente Minelli's 'Gigi' in which he would have been quite good (he looked and sang better than Louis Jourdan).

But he did star in Hollywood films filmed outside of Hollywood ('that Franz Liszt bio with Capucine and 'The Angel Wore Red' in Spain with Ava Gardner). And he made English films with Hollywood ladies (Garland and De Havilland).

And R135. Are you a shrivelling 'smart Briton'?

by Anonymousreply 151September 16, 2018 9:50 PM

Ann Firbank is here in her hospital bed, in this scene from Behind The Mask - which was Vanessa Redgrave's first ever film. I love the gentle saccharine music playing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 16, 2018 9:51 PM

R145-R152 So is this Ann Firbank woman related to the appalling Ronald?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 16, 2018 10:03 PM

CAP-you-seen?

CAP-ooh-sheen?

CAP-you-sheen?

CAP-ooh-seen?

by Anonymousreply 154September 16, 2018 10:07 PM

R141 must be retarded to be attacking liberal viewpoints on a gay board. Gay conservatives are so moronic and deluded.

by Anonymousreply 155September 16, 2018 10:23 PM

Germaine Lefebvre marketed herself as " Capucine".

Hollywood brought her because Audrey Hepburn was pricing herself out of all those roles which required a flat-chested, small-voiced, fey, passive European female to drape themselves over an American he-man.

Her face was slightly more angular than Hepburn's but she was a limp as a rag, inaudible and she soon developed bags under her eyes

R148 It seems the French have a tradition of single names; Arletty, Bouvril, Anouk, Fernandel, Miou-Miou, Dalio, Moustache, Kerima, Cantinflas, Topol. I think it originated with the Comedie-Francaise.

R55 Johnnie's predicament was put on stage—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 17, 2018 2:18 AM

I thought Capucine was in love with Bill Holden who like S Tracy killed himself with drink.

Well dyke Kate was in love with Tracy. Talk about fluidity in an age when there was no name for it.

by Anonymousreply 157September 17, 2018 2:26 AM

He helped liberate Belsen. He was superior.

by Anonymousreply 158September 17, 2018 2:28 AM

Um, Cantinflas and Topol, the famous Frenchmen?

by Anonymousreply 159September 17, 2018 2:48 AM

Yes, Dalio is Marcel Dalio is Israel Blauschild.

by Anonymousreply 160September 17, 2018 3:00 AM

He was such a hammy actor. I watched Our Mother's House recently - it was such an amazing film until he showed up halfway through the film. Things only went downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 161September 17, 2018 3:11 AM

R154, R161 'CAP-ooh-sheen' was good match for the fey, hammy Dirk.

Google tells me Capusheen was bought, imported, groomed, educated, trained, renamed, traded out, swapped, sold, and marketed by the ghastly Charles K Feldman.

by Anonymousreply 162September 17, 2018 3:54 AM

[quote]He was such a hammy actor. I watched Our Mother's House recently - it was such an amazing film until he showed up halfway through the film. Things only went downhill from there.

Yes - he was a bad actor who was in some very good films.

by Anonymousreply 163September 17, 2018 7:01 AM

Capucine - cap-oo-seen (or with a French 'u' for authenticity) is the French word for 'nasturtium.'

by Anonymousreply 164September 17, 2018 8:25 AM

I guess nobody has seen Death in Venice.

He's not hammy in that.

And Jourdan was perfect in Gigi. You read some nutty stuff on DL that you will not have read anywhere else and never will.

by Anonymousreply 165September 17, 2018 12:08 PM

R165 Dirk would made a prettier, more eloquent Gaston.

Jourdan's accent struggles to get much nuance or meaning into the lyrics of this long and rather repetitious soliloquy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 17, 2018 1:12 PM

It's well documented that VICTIM actually had a direct and significant impact on the decriminalization of sexual acts between men. Bogarde never came out of the closet, but he took that role when he was at the height of his popularity and success in the UK (he was the number one matinee idol at the time). The courage and sheer bloody-mindedness it must have taken is almost unthinkable, but he did it. He played gay characters in a number of films after that, and consciously veered off into much more interesting territory and for much more distinguished directors. In hindsight it was a genius move, but it could have easily ended his career.

by Anonymousreply 167September 17, 2018 1:29 PM

[quote]I guess nobody has seen Death in Venice. He's not hammy in that.

Maybe because he hardly says anything.

by Anonymousreply 168September 17, 2018 1:37 PM

Capucine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 17, 2018 1:54 PM

R166 I don't agree but I almost must say I've read a ton of stuff on Minnelli, the Freed unit and Gigi and I've never seen that there were any other considerations for Gaston(there might have been but I've never seen Bogarde's name associated with it) and never seen before here any criticism of Jourdan in the role.

They made a huge mistake taking Jourdan out of Clear Day no matter what problems there were with the voice. He had a star power and charm to play beautifully off of Harris. And he would have been a draw as well.

As good as Cullum could be he just doesn't have that stage magic that I sometimes want to see in a role. He will always be Sir Dinadan next to people like Burton, Andrews and Goulet.

by Anonymousreply 170September 17, 2018 2:15 PM

Bogarde was not a bad actor at all. I thought he was great in Victim.

by Anonymousreply 171September 17, 2018 3:55 PM

OT: Has anyone else's mod buttons disappeared?

by Anonymousreply 172September 17, 2018 4:03 PM

That soliloquy that Louis Jourdan attempts in R166 was designed to echo the soliloquy that Higgins makes in "My Fair Lady" where he examines and realises his true his feelings.

Dirk Bogarde, Rex Harrison and even Stewie would have done a better job than Louis Jourdan in conveying the nuances of the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 17, 2018 11:20 PM

OK R173 I get it.

Still you're the only one I have ever come across who has ever criticized Jourdan. The film has been around for exactly 60 years and a lot of ink has been spilled about it both positive and negative.

But nobody except you has ever had a problem with any of the casting. Even people who find it distasteful find it impeccably produced.

by Anonymousreply 174September 18, 2018 12:11 AM

Yes, the film is gorgeous to look at but I agree the story about prostitutes and gloating old men is distasteful.

Bogarde's memoirs discuss his Rank contact owners forbidding him to play Gaston.

Bogarde and Caron did appear together in a small movie 'The Doctor's Dilemma' in England the same year as 'Gigi. And Bogarde and Minnelli were involved in 3 TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 175September 18, 2018 12:29 AM

But wasn't Louis Jourdan under a long-term contract to MGM in the 1950s? Did that not help in his casting? Anyway, I can't imagine a more perfect Gaston.

I think Dirk would have looked too old and epicene opposite Leslie Caron as the teenaged Gigi. Jourdan managed to look world-weary and still maintain a certain innocence.

by Anonymousreply 176September 18, 2018 12:46 AM

I always thought Jourdan left On a Clear Day because he realized he was being entirely upstaged by Barbara Harris' brilliance. I don't think he was fired.

by Anonymousreply 177September 18, 2018 12:47 AM

Louis Jourdan was one of the few French actors who stayed on Hollywood. Even after he was no longer working up until his death. He was known to be a very stable lovely gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 178September 18, 2018 1:23 AM

By all accounts a miserable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 179September 18, 2018 1:26 AM

Really? That's the first I've heard. I read he was fired because Lane didn't want him attempting painfully to sing his demanding score.

He wanted a singer in the role which is how Cullum got it. He got a singer but not a star who could match Harris on the playing field.

by Anonymousreply 180September 18, 2018 1:35 AM

They both had great hair!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 18, 2018 1:37 AM

Jourdan was able to play world weary and bored convincingly yet not look tired or a poser. And beautifully handsome without being gay(not that that's a bad thing you just have to have people believe you're hot for women.)

I imagine Bogarde would have been too Noel Coward or Clifton Webb queeny.

by Anonymousreply 182September 18, 2018 1:48 AM

I absolutely loved him in DARLING with Miss Julie Christie...they had great chemistry onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 183September 18, 2018 2:12 AM

[quote]I absolutely loved him in DARLING with Miss Julie Christie...they had great chemistry onscreen.

"Your idea of fidelity is not having more than one man in bed at the same time".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 18, 2018 2:19 AM

I don’t take whores in taxis...

by Anonymousreply 185September 18, 2018 2:20 AM

The awards came thick and fast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 18, 2018 2:22 AM

"the idea of breaking up a marriage was utterly repellent to me"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 18, 2018 2:24 AM

A pound’s not enough!

by Anonymousreply 188September 18, 2018 2:26 AM

Two GORGEOUS negroes just went upstairs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 18, 2018 2:28 AM

Alone?

Who, him or me?

Do you think I care who YOU were with?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 18, 2018 2:33 AM

Because I’ve stuck it out for as long as I can!!

Yes, and about as often as you can!

by Anonymousreply 191September 18, 2018 2:35 AM

A man of few words....all of them long.

by Anonymousreply 192September 18, 2018 2:39 AM

It’s been said that the only men who weren’t her lovers were the ones who had reason to believe that they were her father!

by Anonymousreply 193September 18, 2018 2:58 AM

How savage we are tonight. Somebody's husband has gone back to his wife.

If he had, you'd have been there to greet him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 18, 2018 3:02 AM

I just wash and comb it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 18, 2018 3:04 AM

She has a wonderfully shaped head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 18, 2018 3:07 AM

Monica. Dirk. Julie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 18, 2018 3:10 AM

Like you black boys, Miles...mind if I take one home?

by Anonymousreply 198September 18, 2018 3:22 AM

My impotence, my darling, makes a pair with your virginity.

by Anonymousreply 199September 18, 2018 3:26 AM

You say she has a wonderfully shaped head, R196.

I think her lower lip pouts out one millimetre too far. It is impertinent.

It obviously means she's a slut.

by Anonymousreply 200September 18, 2018 3:26 AM

What are you ashamed of in Britain today?

Um, talking as a Londoner.. how rife homosexuality has become, in London, itself. I would say again, in retrospect, that a few years back, that, again, two or three years ago, you were very blatantly approached by different people in different places .

by Anonymousreply 201September 18, 2018 3:29 AM

[quote]You say she has a wonderfully shaped head, [R196].

It's a line from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 202September 18, 2018 3:30 AM

Normally, I never did charity work. It's usually terribly draggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 18, 2018 3:32 AM

How do you feel?

Empty.

by Anonymousreply 204September 18, 2018 3:34 AM

Who is the guy at the far right in r197's photo?

by Anonymousreply 205September 18, 2018 3:35 AM

We're not complicating our holiday with any of your DISGUSTING sexcapades!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 18, 2018 3:38 AM

Brother and sister til death us do part!

by Anonymousreply 207September 18, 2018 3:42 AM

The guy at the far right in R197's photo is the chauffeur.

by Anonymousreply 208September 18, 2018 3:47 AM

I'm going to take a job at an American University.

You'll HATE it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209September 18, 2018 3:48 AM

I shall write.

What will you write about?

YOU!

by Anonymousreply 210September 18, 2018 3:49 AM

I sucked so many cocks to get where I am now.

(Thankfully, Dirk didn't molest me)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 18, 2018 3:55 AM

He is not hammy at all, are you kidding me. He is very restrained actor.

by Anonymousreply 212September 18, 2018 5:28 AM

Btw, his old Doctor movies that made him famous in UK are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 213September 18, 2018 5:29 AM

I adored him in film but I'm quite pleased I never met him. Such a bitch and I would have towered over his small narrow frame.

by Anonymousreply 214September 18, 2018 2:49 PM

Well, where did all the young flowers go? Proceed, AMUSE ME!!

by Anonymousreply 215September 18, 2018 3:35 PM

The bitchy queeniness comes through quite strong in all his roles.

by Anonymousreply 216September 18, 2018 4:55 PM

R156 Another single-named star was the Italian, Valli—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217September 19, 2018 10:42 AM

R217 Why is Valli's name written in different font than the rest of the names are? Unfortunately even the special font didn't help her to become big in the US. There was no place for dark mysterious Euro femme fatales in post-war Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 218September 19, 2018 10:56 AM

R218, that's how she was billed in her Hollywood films, Valli in cursive. It was her wordmark. But she actually hated the one word stage name David O. Selznick bestowed upon her. Her real name is a long one, Baroness Alida Maria Laura Altenburger von Marckenstein-Frauenberg.

by Anonymousreply 219September 19, 2018 11:25 AM

Another Valli film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 19, 2018 11:27 AM

'Valli" was in cursive to show she was unique. She was wild, she was a temptress!

by Anonymousreply 221September 19, 2018 11:44 AM

That's funny--I never knew she was called just "Valli." I recognize the name Alida Valli much more readily.

by Anonymousreply 222September 20, 2018 12:15 AM

"Valli" was owned by David O. Selznick.

She did whatever he told her to do.

by Anonymousreply 223September 20, 2018 1:17 AM

What was the name of the foreign Lesbian who used one name?

by Anonymousreply 224September 20, 2018 1:20 AM

R224 Capucine

by Anonymousreply 225September 20, 2018 1:24 AM

Charo?

by Anonymousreply 226September 20, 2018 1:26 AM

Valli as Alida Valli went onto make one of the all time great Italian films Visconti's Senso. As she's acting in her own language she's able to immerse herself entirely into the role and give a wonderful performance. But she is very good in The Third Man.

I saw it presented at MOMA by Farley Granger Valli's costar in the film and it was shortly after La Fenice was destroyed by arson. The very important opening takes place there during a performance of Trovatore. He mentioned that Visconti needed to move around fixtures in the theater to get the effect he wanted and only someone of his stature, family nobility and connections could have ever done such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 227September 20, 2018 12:00 PM

R227 Totally agree with you on that one - I consider Valli in Senso and Anna Magnani in Mamma Roma to be the two greatest female performance of all times. There's something about Italian way of acting that is so arresting and seems almost primal. And that dubbing they always did (which is often totally out of sync with mouth movement) adds slightly surreal component to their movies.

And yes, Italian actresses in English-language films always sucked. For a long time I was familiar only with Sophia Loren's Hollywood films and I had no idea why she is considered to be such a legend, because she was horrible in all of them. But then I started to watch her Italian films too and I realized that she really was a movie goddess.

by Anonymousreply 228September 20, 2018 12:09 PM

Have you seen De Sica's Gold of Napoli? Wow!

by Anonymousreply 229September 20, 2018 12:17 PM

Have you seen Bogarde being uber-camp in 'Modesty Blasie'? Wow!

Bogarde was so effete that Daphne du Maurier protested to dopey Attenborough when he cast the effeminate Bogarde playing du Maurier's late husband Lieutenant-General Sir Frederick Browning in Attenborough's overlong, episodic "A Bridge Too Far'.

by Anonymousreply 230September 21, 2018 1:06 AM

I can’t see the video in which he says he is love with Capucine and his sister rolls her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 231September 21, 2018 12:05 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 232November 20, 2018 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!