Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The sexual tension of Queen Latifah and Kim Fields on Living Single

I'm rewatching the series on Hulu and, aside from aging beautifully (Maxine is one of my favorite sitcom characters of all time), it's a lot clearer to me the weirdly palpable tension between Latifah and Tootie. Even more obvious in the latter seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2021 6:37 PM

How so?

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2018 8:19 PM

3i thought Kim Fields was married?

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2018 8:30 PM

Scissor me, my Queen!

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2018 8:35 PM

John Henton (Overton) caused me lots of sexual tension.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2018 8:35 PM

They were the Jo and Blair

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2018 8:45 PM

R4: I as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2018 10:13 PM

OP has to explain why.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2018 3:22 AM

Was this the black Friends? Well I never in all my life thought it could be like this.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2018 3:37 AM

Latifah is living in the glass closet.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2018 1:54 PM

I was read Kim Fields book, and she admits to professional jealous of Queen Latifah during the run of the series. Kim writes after "Facts" she had to fight to even get an audition, as she was typecast

(note: she only got "Living Single" because the creator/Executive Producer was a Facts of Life fan and insisted on Fields being cast. So it was a lucky break on Kim's part)

So here is Kim, struggling to even get an audition for work during the summer hiatus. And here is Queen Latifah, with a stack of scripts in her trailer, sifting through which audition she should go to and which role she should accept.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2018 2:07 PM

Tootie wasn't in the last episodes because she couldn't take the tension.

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2018 3:13 PM

So much tension.

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2018 3:16 PM

Kim and John Henton dated for a while.

This wasn't the black Friends. Friends was the white Living Single. Latifah said that Warren Littlefield saw the success of the show among the urban market and wanted a similar show for NBC. NBC got the acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2018 3:25 PM

Loved that show, especially Max. That had a couple of Facts of Life/Eastland jokes by Regine that were cute. I also love how Kim’s real mother gets cast as her mother a lot of times.

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2018 3:30 PM

I really loved this show at the time. I tried to watch it recently, but Synclair and Overton make me so sick to my stomach I had to turn it off. Both of them were so borderline slow (especially Synclair) that I actually feared for their safety.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2018 3:39 PM

Didn't get Kim get a special "and kim fields as" in this series. I'm sure its hard for trained actresses to put up with hollywood's obsession with hiphop stars.

by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2018 3:50 PM

Latifah doesn't participate in any of the reunion shows, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2018 3:52 PM

Rosie O'Donnell stunk up the show with her hammy acting.

by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2018 3:53 PM

I don't think it's sexual tension that you see between them OP

As R10 & others have laid out, they were rivals at best.

Queen L. was known to be into women at the time & Kim Fields (& her celeb momma) are religious right wackos.

She has muted herself with TFOL being on Logo (as has Lisa W.) but there is/was a poetry reading on YT where she slammed "alternative lifestyles" (meaning LGBTs). She has also done interviews & even hosted the 700 Club during a special week to focus on young people (which also had gay rights "danger alerts" news stories) so that should tell you what she thinks of us.

I'll see if the poetry stunt is still on there right quick & post it for ya.

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2018 4:34 PM

Here it is. She also curses in it (God doesn't like that & therefore it's a sin). Hypocrite.

Her swipe at us is at 2:13 where she also slams political correctness.

I remember her doing a longer rant so there might be another video of her doing this type of thing.

This one seems new to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2018 4:40 PM

bump.

by Anonymousreply 21December 19, 2018 10:35 PM

This was published this summer, FYI.

Thought some of y'all might want this as a reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2018 10:38 PM

her SNATCH

was no MATCH

by Anonymousreply 23December 20, 2018 1:30 AM

U N I T why are you licking my pussy?

by Anonymousreply 24December 20, 2018 1:40 AM

When Kim Fields was on The Real Housewives of Atlanta, the show featured her husband and, I think, their children. Kim was really boring, making a big deal about not wanting to be away from her children during one of the RHOA trips. She brought a book (to read) for one of their "parties" that took place on a boat. She also had a boring idea for a party where the ladies were supposed to attend without makeup. During one episode, another one of the "Housewives" (Kenya, I think) said something about Kim's husband being gay. I'm not sure whether this is true or not.

by Anonymousreply 25December 20, 2018 2:20 AM

R24 LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 26December 20, 2018 2:22 AM

Kim was better than RHOA. If she was able to collect a paycheck and save the acting for a real gig, then good on her.

by Anonymousreply 27December 20, 2018 2:23 AM

Thank you for the poster above who clarified that Friends was the white version of this, not the other way around. Max and Kyle were very funny and their banter had me laughing more than anything on Friends. Ooh Monica is OCD. So hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 28December 20, 2018 2:34 AM

FRIENDS actually stole its premise from THESE FRIENDS OF MINE (aka ELLEN). The latter even made jokes about it during its second season.

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2019 11:02 PM

I'd rather watch Martin.

Living Single was stupid.... and Max is the one that came off as a lesbian.

I never bought that she was a lawyer. She came off as a truck driver.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2019 11:08 PM

Friends was a copy of a British show that was very successful. They retooled it much like they did with The Office, for American sensibilities. Living Single, I enjoyed very much, Friends, not at all, and probably never even watched a full episode! Overton and Synclair were great--& worked well to contrast the other characters. Really great show, and produced by Kelsey Grammer!

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2019 11:14 PM

Fascinated by the economics of projects like these. What happens when a moderately successful sitcom ends? You hope the actors banked enough of there performance fees to keep them going until another project comes along. I wonder how many end up coaching other actors and things like that. I would hate to have had my biggest success in my twenties. That must be so hard.

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2019 11:30 PM

That wasn't sexual tension - it was about who was gonna be first in the craft services line during breaks.

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2019 11:33 PM

I can't believe Living Single only had 5 seasons, it was syndicated so much after it went off the air it seems like it had more seasons than that.

r30 there was an episode where Max's roommate from college (played by Karen Malina White also from the Cosby Show) confessed that she was in love with Max. That was probably the first time I saw gay storyline on TV involving black people.

I was also had a crush on Ivan played by Bumper Robinson. He was so cute and very funny.

The episode with Jennifer Lewis was probably my favorite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2019 11:53 PM

I was just watching this show this morning and I thought I was the only one who noticed that, OP. Queen has lesbionic chemistry with any woman she appears on screen with.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2019 1:48 AM

“Kim writes after "Facts" she had to fight to even get an audition “

Hollywood is not known for its level playing Fields, Kim.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2019 2:05 AM

Trust me, I can plow some Fields.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2019 2:06 AM

R30 I have watched several episodes lately, and agree Max has a certain lesbian air about her. I daresay more so than Queen Latifah.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2019 2:12 AM

Here are the opening credits for "Living Single." First credit: "Starring Queen Latifah." Final credit: "and Kim Fields Freeman as 'Regine.'"

Never noticed sexual tension between Latifah & Fields. This was Kim Fields' best role.

"Living Single" first aired in 1993 (Fox); "Friends" in 1994 (NBC).

I had limited access to TV in that era. But I would say "Living Single" was better than "Friends."

"Living Single" came first & "Living Single" was better. Therefore, "Friends" is the white "Living Single." ("Living Single" was not the black "Friends.")

Kim really was boring and sanctimonious on Real Housewives of Atlanta. There was a poolside scene where two or three of the women were talking about Kim's husband allegedly being gay (Kim was not in the scene).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2019 2:14 AM

I wonder why this show didn't sell abroad. "Fresh Prince" obviously did. Even shows like "Hangin' With Mr Cooper" did. Strange.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2019 2:38 AM

Agree Max pinged to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2019 2:45 AM

Living Single was tv gold and very successful but Friends ripped it off and got the clout. This is very well known. Maxine is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2019 2:54 AM

Erika Alexander pinged too.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2021 5:22 PM

As someone who liked Friends, I'll say Living Single was better. For one thing, it didn't last one million years. Why do all american sitcoms need to last 10 years or more?

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2021 5:34 PM

At least they pulled the plug on that. The first decade or so of [italic]The Simpsons[/italic] blows every other TV show in history out of the water, but what came after that is a disgrace. And it is only going to get worse with Disney in the mix now.

by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2021 5:56 PM

old thing in dat nasty blonde wig, skin all bleached...nasty omg

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2021 6:02 PM

It was funny that when Kim Fields had to pay off a tax lien and ended up doing that season of RHOA, with her terrible hair, those softer-side-of-Sears outfits and her basically alternating between being volubly scandalized or blubbering the entire time she filmed, she was giving me big Mrs.Garrett energy.

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2021 6:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!