Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever seen "Straw Dogs" (1971)?

what did you think of it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 12:21 AM

What about it, OP?

Stop being so vague in your multi thread churn out. You're tiresome and uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2018 11:21 AM

[quote]What about it, OP?

I'm quite clear what I'm looking for.

[quote]Stop being so vague in your multi thread churn out

I don't know what you're talking about.

[quote] You're tiresome and uninteresting.

and you're projecting.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2018 11:24 AM

It's quite a strange film about a man failing to defend his wife and home from more "masculine" and brutish men. It's kind of misogynist too. The girl is just like a symbol on which the men try to project their masculinity. Rape and violence are just tools to proving they are real men. It's creepy.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2018 11:58 AM

I remember watching it as one of the first VHS tapes I ever saw. Had to turn it off, found it far too violent and unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2018 12:01 PM

And the hatefest begins with R3 and R4... so predictable. This thread has nothing to do with Straw Dogs. You just hide behind it to talk like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2018 12:06 PM

R5 doesn't even makes sense if he/she is the OP.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2018 12:15 PM

*make sense

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2018 12:19 PM

R5 what the fuck are you going on about "hatefest"? we were asked what we thought of the film so we gave our opinions. What's your problem? ?

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2018 12:20 PM

Don't bother with him, R8. He's AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2018 12:53 PM

Awful, like this dreadful crappy over-rated movie.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2018 12:53 PM

Misogynous bs.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2018 1:02 PM

a classic from sam.

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2018 1:17 PM

Found it to be extremely gratuitous in its violence. Maybe a misogynistic wet dream as film?

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2018 1:37 PM

I remember the scene in which one of the bad guys takes a tumble down the stairs and lands head first on an antique spring-loaded animal trap, the kind that looks like a pair of toothy jaws. You never know when those quaint objects you've collected may come in handy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2018 1:44 PM

The country cottage set looks so fake.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2018 1:58 PM

The rape scene seems to go on forever, and as R3 pointed out, the female character is a symbol and a plot device rather than a fully fleshed personality.

Thumbs down.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2018 2:31 PM

I just saw the remake. The original is a very successful exploitation film and portrays something primal about these rural English villages populated by a limited gene pool for a thousand years.

The remake is embarrassing liberal Rod Lurie's personal fears about poor white trash.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 2:59 PM

I still can't believe I sat through the original all those years ago. In those days--per Pauline Kael--Sam Peckinpah was a cinema god....Hard to believe that, too.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 3:07 PM

It would've been a lot more interesting and relevant to the film's themes if it had been the guy that had gotten raped and brutalized instead of his wife. It also would've been a lot more controversial for the time and saved this movie from the Wal-Mart dollar bin.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 3:08 PM

Yes, and apparently it didn't make much of an impression because I don't remember anything about it. "The Wild Bunch" is outstanding though.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 3:16 PM

Alexander Skarsgard was truly abysmal in the Straw Dogs remake.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 3:25 PM

The remake should've flipped the script and had the rednecks sodomize James Marsden.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 3:28 PM

Stories about posh people who get a nasty shock when they move into old country cottages was a surprisingly frequent storyline around then, at least in British movies and teleplays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 3:28 PM

Extremely dated movie about a woman who needs a man to be protected, and a man who realizes that being a real man means being violent. Possibly one of the most sexist and unpleasant movies ever made.

So of course they did a remake. Which was, of course, terrible.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 3:34 PM

Yes I agree R24. I didn't realize it was a remake, but that trailer looks awful and I had to turn off the new one at the rape scene.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2019 3:51 PM

Richard from Keeping Up Appearances @ R23!

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2020 10:46 PM

Apparently it's a real cult classic. People think it's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 10:46 PM

The actor who raped Susan George was HAF.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 10:51 PM

I have seen the remake and wasn't surprised that James Woods was part of the cast 😄 The message boards on imdb were a mess in reguards to Kate's character.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 7:33 AM

I found it very, very disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 7:37 AM

What are small country villages like? Is the portrayal of the men true life?

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 12:11 AM

Weirdo @ R31.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 12:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!