Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OK Libertarian Gubernatorial Candidate "Joe Exotic" Murder for Hire Charge

The eventful life of Joseph "Joe Exotic" Maldonado-Passage who, despite staying pretty busy, doesn't look a day over 35....

"An Oklahoma zookeeper at an exotic animal park and candidate for governor earlier this year has been charged in a murder-for-hire scheme alleging he tried to hire someone to kill a Florida woman, federal prosecutors announced on Friday. Joseph Maldonado-Passage, 55, also known as "Joe Exotic," was indicted on two counts of hiring a person to commit murder in federal court in Oklahoma City.

In October 2017, Garvin County authorities investigated after Maldonado-Passage's then-husband, 23-year-old Travis Maldonado, shot himself in the head in the zoo gift shop. Garvin County Sheriff Larry Rhodes said at the time that witnesses reported Travis Maldonado put a loaded firearm to his head and pulled the trigger to prove the weapon would not fire with the magazine removed. Maldonado married another man, Dillon Jacob Passage, in December, court records show."

Brief recap: 2016, runs for President. October 2017, 23 yo husband Travis suicides. December 2017, marries Dillon Jacob Passage. 2018: runs in gubernatorial primary Oklahoma, loses. Indicted in murder-for-hire plot.

What's next?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2019 9:32 AM

She's a mess!

by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2018 11:46 PM

Did he buy a zoo?

by Anonymousreply 2September 7, 2018 11:49 PM

The show runners for the next season of Fargo have half their work done just in that article.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2018 12:13 AM

Lesson learned: never put a gun to your head and pull the trigger. Never.

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2018 4:04 AM

I have to admit that I took my kids to this place on a road trip. Saw roadside signs on interstate and told them if we had time on return we’d stop.

It seemed a little off from the beginning....had to park across the road and walk over, but....Oklahoma....whatever. Went into gift shop to purchase tickets - very small, and full of crap. They all are, but I mean stuff sitting there so long there was a visible layer of dust, an odd display of DVDs and CDs.....more on that later.

Did tour, and the guide was almost a sycophant of this Joe....elevated to God-like status. Lots of justification of the liger breeding, why it was so great.... Found it odd how little separated people from the big cats compared to traditional zoos.

By the time it was over and we exit through the same gift shop I’d figured out that the rack of DVD/CD’s were all Joe’s. Fancies himself quite the country singer, along with “documentaries” about saving wildlife, etc.

Out of sheer curiosity, googled him later and found all kinds of info....unfortunately little of it positive and immediately felt horrible for taking kids. At least there was no mauling while we were there.

And now this indictment pops op on The DL!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2018 5:27 AM

Joe is one of those guys whom I desperately *wanted* to like (I really love big kitties), but he's the textbook example of "Trumpian Deplorable".

That said, if the Floridian woman he allegedly wanted dead is Carole Baskin... he's hardly the first big-cat owner to express that sentiment. She's hated by *everyone* in the big-cat community. Imagine a woman who's a crazy cat hoarder... and works tirelessly to get everybody *else's* cats taken away from them. That's Carole.

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2018 6:11 AM

The story has legs but poor Joe: he looks to have aged a lot in the last few days, especially in his booking photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2018 10:35 PM

Every libertarian ever, in the history of ever.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2018 10:38 PM

r7, he's fucking gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2018 10:40 PM

Fuck, he’s got a look. We can’t deny that.

He seems to be cribbing his style from Siegfried and Roy, no doubt his idols, with a country boy mullet bleached into the Pamela Anderson stratosphere. And eyebrows done in homage to Satan.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2018 10:43 PM

Why do libertarians always look like they run a child sex ring?

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2018 11:01 PM

How does this guy not have a reality show?

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2018 11:03 PM

Won’t hurt him in the polls if he runs again and in fact murder for hire shows the commitment to free markets cherished by Libertarians.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2018 11:05 PM

Lordy, so much W&W in this short thread.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2018 11:10 PM

And to guns, R13

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2018 11:19 PM

Libertarians in a nutshell.

Here some of them are booing a candidate not wanting to sell heroin to children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2018 11:38 PM

I’m surprised he’s not a reality tv star, yes.

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2018 12:18 AM

R10 made me lmao in public.

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2018 12:18 AM

Not a less apt abbrev. for a state will you find...

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2018 12:20 AM

Guilty, guilty, guilty...

his haircut screams "guilty"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2019 10:31 PM

Those in the zookeeper/exotic animal park world live by the Law of the Jungle.

by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2019 10:43 PM

The whole "Carole vs Joe" drama is a textbook example of what happens when somebody who's evil (Carol) screws over somebody who's literally crazy (Joe) & becomes the all-consuming focus of their OCD-like rage.

Joe was unambiguously wrong (and stupid, and mentally unbalanced) to try and have her killed, but make no mistake... the woman he wanted dead is a calculating psychopath who knows *exactly* how to push people's buttons to drive them over the edge while maintaining a veneer of public respectability.

That said, after reading the testimony , I've lost any respect or sympathy for him... he killed 5 tigers in cold blood, including one particularly tame & friendly one whose name was Cuddles.

There are no saints involved with this case... just two people who are bad & worse.

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2019 9:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!