Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar Season 2018 Part 1

Toronto is in 4 days. Place your bets, folks!

I’m thinking Glenn Close, Melissa McCarthy, Olivia Colman, Viola Davis, Regina King, Claire Foy, Amy Nicole Kidman Adams, Ethan Hawke, John David Washington, Adam Driver,l, Spike Lee, Alfonso Cuaron, and the first Oscar nomination for Richard E. Grant!

Zilch for Bradley Cooper (in acting) and Rami Malek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601September 19, 2018 9:06 PM

Prepare to lose your shit, ATJ fans, when A Million Little Pieces comes out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2018 1:09 PM

Topher Duke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2018 1:10 PM

Charlie Hunnam nude scene, r1?

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2018 2:52 PM

So the trailer of this BLAH BLAH LAND sequel looks really boring but it received surprisingly good reviews

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2018 4:03 PM

[quote]Charlie Hunnam nude scene, [R1]?

I have no idea. I do hope that by "nude scene," however, you mean we get to see his dick.

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2018 4:05 PM

GREEN BOOK with Mahershala Ali and Viggo Morstensen could be this year’s HIDDEN FIGURES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2018 4:19 PM

What was last year's HIDDEN FIGURES?

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2018 4:24 PM

Oh, r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2018 4:43 PM

Fahrenheit 11/9: Michael Moore Slams Trump Big Time, But Also The Clintons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2018 5:51 PM

My friend was at Telluride and says that Nicole Kidman is simply extraordinary in DESTROYER. A MONSTER-level transformation and an career-topping performance that is reads very male, as in, this is part that would have typically been played by Pacino or someone in their heydey. I'm going to guess right now that she gets a lead nod for DESTROYER and a supporting nod for BOY ERASED. We are in a Kidmanassaince

For what it's worth, he was also ecstatic over A STAR IS BORN and said that it will be nominated for everything and that Bradley Cooper might be a Best Actor frontrunner. He said that Lady Gaga slays in it and delivers one of the best film debuts in recent history.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2018 6:04 PM

Anything for Sebastian Stan and Tatiana Maslany? Last year I thought he would get a nom for I, Tonya but that didn't happen. Can't wait to see Destroyer.

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2018 6:12 PM

Yes, R11. He said that Sebastian Stan was excellent in a supporting role. I agree with you that he should have been nominated for I, TONYA last year. I would have put him in over Richard Jenkins whose sad-sack gay character seemed so dated.

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2018 6:21 PM

Well it was a period piece.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2018 6:24 PM

It will be nice to have a non-Meryl year. I'm sure she's thankful for it too.

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2018 6:37 PM

Oh I'll still be around. Who knows how good I'll be in Mary Poppins?

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2018 6:46 PM

GLENN. CLOSE. THE. WIFE.

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2018 6:46 PM

M might still get a nom for MAMMA MIA. All that gyrating around, AMPAS admires that sort of energy at her age.

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2018 6:48 PM

The Ryan Gosling astronaut movie looks soooooooooooooooooo boring.

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2018 6:59 PM

R18, it's getting fair reviews. Not raves.

Claire Foy might be dragged along for a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2018 7:03 PM

Oscar schmoscar. What intrigues me is which movies will become unanticipated hits. Yeah, sure, A Star is Born will probably be big and do great box office but what are the dark horses that will emerge in the winner's circle.

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2018 8:20 PM

[quote]He said that Lady Gaga slays in it and delivers one of the best film debuts in recent history.

What's his definition of "recent?"

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2018 12:59 AM

What's the definition of debut? She's been in two Robert Rodriguez films already.

by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2018 1:00 AM

I know reviews of the film have been tepid but Glenn is phenomenal in The Wife. It would be painful to watch her lose.

by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2018 2:23 AM

Early reports out of TIFF are that Timothee Chalamet's great in Beautiful Boy, though the film itself may not be as great as its performances. He's the likely frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 24September 8, 2018 2:27 AM

Timo is gonna win. Carrell getting strong notices too.

by Anonymousreply 25September 8, 2018 2:33 AM

Glenn Close says the holocaust never happened! Spread it around Hollywood, gays!

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2018 6:16 AM

This will be M on Oscar night:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2018 6:17 AM

At least they aren’t giving an Oscar for best film that plays well at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2018 6:41 AM

If that Cheney movie is decent, they'll probably give the Oscar to that mousy bitch Amy Adams! She's thirstier than Kate Winslet was at her peak!

by Anonymousreply 29September 8, 2018 6:50 AM

R6, that looks like a poster for Driving Miss Daisy.

by Anonymousreply 30September 8, 2018 6:52 AM

[quote]She's thirstier than Kate Winslet was at her peak!

I don't know about that. I think she's just the go-to filler nom of the decade: Like Greer Garson, Katherine Hepburn, Marsha Mason, Jessica Lang, etc., 'The who do we put in the fifth slot?' choice. She's quite inoffensive really.

I don't know how much longer that and she can hold however. I think from now on the go-to filler nom(s) are going to be token WoC.

I bet Viola Davis will benefit hugely from #OscarsSoWhite. More Pinkett-Smith -- did that bitch think that it was racism depriving her and her beard of noms? Funny.

by Anonymousreply 31September 8, 2018 6:58 AM

If BLACK PANTHER doesn't get sufficient recognition in noms, I can totally envision a media-storm and Viola Davis sopping up some votes because of it.

But among film fans there's definitely a desire to see Close win. Like Streep in 2011 and Moore in 2014. She's gotten raves and it feels like it's the right role, the right time, the right person, the right career.

by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2018 7:04 AM

But it's not the right role. Nor was it for Streep w/ The Iron Lady and certainly not for Moore with the absolutely execrable Still Alice.

Listen, if Deborah Kerr and Gena Rowlands had to make due with Honorary Oscars, then Close will, too.

by Anonymousreply 33September 8, 2018 7:11 AM

[quote]'The who do we put in the fifth slot?' choice. She's quite inoffensive really.

Agreed. Adams has never felt desperate to me. She perpetually puts in good work. She wasn't even nominated for Arrival, which I assumed she'd be precisely because of her slot-filling qualities. She does stand a strong chance at winning for Backseat though. The premise is baity enough and if Adam McKay brings out something new in her I can see her generating a lot of attention.

by Anonymousreply 34September 8, 2018 7:14 AM

[quote]Nor was it for Streep w/ The Iron Lady and certainly not for Moore with the absolutely execrable Still Alice.

A juicy character like Margaret Thatcher and a woman with a progressive disease are absolutely the right roles for Oscars. Both Streep and Moore were overdue and were going to win for something soon. If not that, what?

[quote]Listen, if Deborah Kerr and Gena Rowlands had to make due with Honorary Oscars, then Close will, too.

She won't have to. She's winning this year. There's no alternative.

by Anonymousreply 35September 8, 2018 7:15 AM

Will the homos rejoice or revolt if Gaga snatches Glennie's Oscar?!

by Anonymousreply 36September 8, 2018 7:17 AM

I prefer Adams to Chastain. She's a better actress than her too.

And I prefer her to AnnE, who I briefly went off during her teacher's pet shtick campaign. Though I'm (mostly) over that.

by Anonymousreply 37September 8, 2018 7:18 AM

[quote] Will the homos rejoice or revolt if Gaga snatches Glennie's Oscar?!

I just don't see that happening.

by Anonymousreply 38September 8, 2018 7:18 AM

[quote]She won't have to. She's winning this year. There's no alternative.

Glenn's got a great narrative to support a possible way, but to say there's no alternative is to ignore the overwhelming amount of praise A Star Is Born has received this past week. The near unanimous passion Lady Gaga's getting is something Glenn's going to have to battle, whether detractors like it or not. A Star Is Born will likely be represented in multiple categories this year, which can only help Lady Gaga. The Wife will likely get a single nod for Glenn and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 39September 8, 2018 7:19 AM

...to support a possible win* is what I meant to type.

by Anonymousreply 40September 8, 2018 7:19 AM

[quote] A juicy character like Margaret Thatcher and a woman with a progressive disease are absolutely the right roles for Oscars.

Not if they're poorly written and directed even worse. Tori Spelling's role in Mother May I Sleep With Danger matches your criteria for the right role for an Oscar.

[quote] Both Streep and Moore were overdue and were going to win for something soon. If not that, what?

Streep had two Oscars. She was hardly "overdue." And there was no burning need to make Julianne Moore an Oscar winner simply because she had a few nominations as a slot filler. Now I think Moore should have won for Boogie Nights but she's never done anything since then that's screamed out to be rewarded. She's talented, yes (though less and less as time goes on), but one great performance does not make you overdue and she was not someone that absolutely HAD to be rewarded with an Oscar. Close I can understand the desire to give a career award (though again, I think she should just get an honorary one), but Moore? Absolutely not. Same with Winslet (though Winslet harangued half of Hollywood until she finally got that Oscar she didn't deserve).

by Anonymousreply 41September 8, 2018 7:22 AM

[quote]Streep had two Oscars. She was hardly "overdue."

Her last win was almost thirty years ago and she'd gotten countless, what seemed like near-annual noms in between. She's also has the pole position as Greatest Actress of All Time.

So, by 2011 there was a sense -- though not huge, yes, it was mostly on the strength of the performance -- that she was due for another one.

by Anonymousreply 42September 8, 2018 7:26 AM

Moore's nominations for Far from Heaven and The Hours could never be considered fillers! There was a damn near riot of mincing queens at oscar parties across the country when Catherine Zeta Jones undeservedly snatched that Oscar from Julianne! I'm sorry, boo, but I'm gonna need you to turn in your gay card immediately! IMMEDIATELY!

by Anonymousreply 43September 8, 2018 7:30 AM

They might give Missy McCarthy a nom. She's commercial and 'diverse' (fat). And appeals to flyover fraus who might tune in.

by Anonymousreply 44September 8, 2018 7:31 AM

It depends who Glenn's up against. If it's Viola (very recent win), McCarthy (no chance, not serious, nom is her win), Gaga (also not seeing it happen, she can hope for Diana Ross) I could see her comfortably winning. They all have a good chance of noms, but not of wins.

by Anonymousreply 45September 8, 2018 7:38 AM

I pretty sure Viola Davis will get nominated. An all-white lineup would be too controversial, and who else is it going to be then?

by Anonymousreply 46September 8, 2018 7:38 AM

[quote] Moore's nominations for Far from Heaven and The Hours could never be considered fillers! There was a damn near riot of mincing queens at oscar parties across the country when Catherine Zeta Jones undeservedly snatched that Oscar from Julianne! I'm sorry, boo, but I'm gonna need you to turn in your gay card immediately! IMMEDIATELY!

You confuse camp with quality, which is why you have your gay card printed up in 8x10 glossies. Every nomination Moore has gotten since Boogie Nights was undeserved. She's actually quite awkward in front of the camera. It's odd, after Boogie Nights, she seems to have lost her confidence in front of the camera and her performances are all very self conscious. I never believe her. The only time it even remotely worked was Far From heaven and that's because there's such a large amount of artifice in the film and the characters.

I've often wondered if she was so convinced she had done something wrong in BN or wanted the Oscar so badly that she changed her whole style. But her work thereafter has never matched what she did in Boogie Nights, Safe or even The Hand That Rocked the Cradle, where she wiped the floor with most of the cast in the mere "best friend" role.

by Anonymousreply 47September 8, 2018 7:48 AM

Gaga's got a strong chance at a win. The Academy loves ingenues, and she's got the reviews to back her up. Glenn's film could easily get lost in the conversation come awards time if she wants the win. She could easily find herself in another Albert Nobbs situation.

[quote]An all-white lineup would be too controversial

An all-white actress lineup just happened last year and there was no stink about it. There's no point in anticipating backlash for the sake of it. That being said, Viola's chances are high, but Widows better be well received because the Academy rarely goes for performances in genre pictures.

by Anonymousreply 48September 8, 2018 7:49 AM

Olivia Colman

Toni Collette

Glenn Close

Lady Gaga

Melissa McCarthy

by Anonymousreply 49September 8, 2018 7:49 AM

Viola's chances at a nomination I mean. I don't think she'll win at all.

by Anonymousreply 50September 8, 2018 7:51 AM

Please, Julianne Moore has a better chance of being re-nominated for Still Alice than Toni Collette has for getting in with Hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2018 7:52 AM

Willem Dafoe - At Eternity's Gate

Viggo and Mahershala for Green Book

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2018 7:56 AM

[quote]An all-white actress lineup just happened last year and there was no stink about it. There's no point in anticipating backlash for the sake of it.

There was some stink. And, while they might be able to get away with that for some individual years, persistently all-white lineups year-in-year-out are increasingly going to be a thing of the past.

In some cases there might just not be anyone in anything to nominated for, but it something reasonably feasible (like Viola in WIDOWS) comes up, she'll have to get it.

This year also has the whole BP and 'Popular Film' which isn't actually happening yet, they say. If other categories are too full for BP, they'll probably have to throw a nom to Viola.

by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2018 7:56 AM

Viola Davis is a great example of "overdue" at least in the Academy's thinking. She had two Nominations under her belt, many felt she should have won over Meryl in 2011 for The Help (I'm not one of them- I thought they were both awful) and the Academy was itching to hand a statue to a black actor. I think Viola is talented but she did nothing we haven't seen before, and was hampered greatly by Denzel's horrible direction. Stephen McKinley Henderson should have been the only one nominated from that film. He knows how to play August Wilson's material and seems to have ignored anything Denzel told him. Viola knows Wilson's work, too, but she made the mistake of listening to Washington.

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2018 7:57 AM

Toni Collette's not happening. This year is too full. Gaga, Close, Davis are all definitely in and beyond that there's about ten other people who have a better chance than Collette.

by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2018 7:58 AM

[quote]Viola Davis is a great example of "overdue" at least in the Academy's thinking.

Eh... she just won one.

Her third nom (on which she won) which came over a short period are different from Close's, Streep's, and Moore's. They built theirs over a long period. There were plenty of years each of them even did work that was close to being nominated.

I don't think there was a sense that Viola Davis had a storied career and had simply been forgotten about or lost in the lineups. That's really more what "overdue" means. It's the same feeling that accompanies things like honorary Oscars what people like Stanwyck, Kerr, Rowlands, etc.,

At least *some* of her win was AMPAS' recognition that it needed to be more 'diverse'.

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2018 8:05 AM

The thing is, Actress is truly stacked this year... so much so that Close and Gaga are the only actress I feel comfortable proclaiming as locks. After that, I want Olivia Colman in so badly because that'd be such a badass honor for an actress the Academy barely knows. Viola Davis seems likely because we know what she's capable of.

That fifth spot could go multiple ways. Collette's beloved and the film's well-received, but she'll have to break through the horror prejudices. Nicole Kidman's earning strong notices for Destroyer, which people liken to the types of performances Pacino and De Niro gave in the 70s, and Melissa McCarthy's generating buzz for her film. Then there's Saoirse Ronan in Mary Queen of Scots, though I can see that misfiring.

There's a lot of competition in the field this year, which is pretty cool for women in film.

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2018 8:12 AM

Glenn's always been unlucky. This year's no exception. All her best chances come in years where there's one strong performance there's no getting around (Streep in 2011) or a lineup that's hard to break through (1988, perhaps the best year for BA).

by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2018 8:19 AM

R56, I meant there was thinking she was overdue when she was up for Fences, not for this year. And overdue doesn't mean what it used to. Overdue is 100% applicable to Glenn Close. Overdue is a ridiculous word when used to describe someone like Amy Adams or Michelle Williams or Kate Winslet or anyone else who has scored several nominations in a short period of time because films are so shitty that the same 5 people keep getting called up.

by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2018 8:21 AM

What would happen to Glenn Close's career if she won? Do you think she'd be more competition for Meryl? I get the feeling some of the people hoping for Glenn win are Meryl-haters. But do you think the eternal second in command actress of her generation come overtake Meryl when it came to old lady roles? Anyway, I love both. I'm sure there's room for both to share the podium, no matter who's in first.

by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2018 8:24 AM

Best Actress of the 2010s is only marginally more colorful than of the 1950s when America was ninety percent white.

by Anonymousreply 61September 8, 2018 8:31 AM

I don't know... in my opinion Kate Winslet was overdue. I think she easily should have won for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The Reader's not my favorite performance of hers, and I may have even preferred her in Revolutionary Road that year, but I understand the nature of those types of wins. Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance wasn't The Revenant, but the timing was right for both of them when they won.

Amy Adams should have won for Junebug, and honestly I'd have given it to her for The Master as well... so yeah, I think she's overdue, though I understand the majority of her losses. I'm hoping she lets loose in Backseat because I think the Academy's ready to see something new from her, despite knowing she consistently puts in good work.

I adore Michelle Williams, but I've always preferred another actress anytime she's been nominated, but I'd love to see her win at some point.

[quote]What would happen to Glenn Close's career if she won?

Well, she'd finally have an Oscar. I don't know that she'd ever be cinematic competition for Meryl Streep, who will always have more than her, but it'd be a really wonderful honor for her career.

by Anonymousreply 62September 8, 2018 8:34 AM

Is there a chance they won't nominate Gaga for Best Actress and just give her a win for Original Song, like they did with Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 63September 8, 2018 8:35 AM

I don't think Glenn's career would change one iota if she won the Oscar, but at this point, it's not about that. But also, actors' careers don't often change for the better after winning an Oscar. Either they were already big, Like Jennifer Lawrence, or they were given an Oscar and shown the door, like Kate Winslet. I'm not saying it doesn't happen anymore. Octavia Spencer is certainly someone who's been able to ride an Oscar to steady work and higher paychecks. But it's much more rare since the state of the film business is in such disarray.

by Anonymousreply 64September 8, 2018 8:36 AM

[quote] Octavia Spencer is certainly someone who's been able to ride an Oscar to steady work and higher paychecks.

How's she been doing? Last I saw of her she was writing a children's book.

by Anonymousreply 65September 8, 2018 8:38 AM

If Glenn doesn't win this time I think she might be going the honorary route... Maybe voters will keep that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 66September 8, 2018 8:39 AM

Well, Glenn obviously isn't going to overtake Streep in noms or wins at this point, but it might give her a boost. Producers might feel they have more choice when it comes to casting female roles in that age range if Streep isn't the only 'name'.

Who else is there besides her?

by Anonymousreply 67September 8, 2018 8:42 AM

[quote]Is there a chance they won't nominate Gaga for Best Actress and just give her a win for Original Song, like they did with Streisand?

Not with the reviews she's getting. She'll likely be nominated for both Actress and Best Song this year. May even win both to be honest.

[quote]How's she been doing? Last I saw of her she was writing a children's book.

She's been enjoying Oscar nominations over the past two years.

by Anonymousreply 68September 8, 2018 8:42 AM

Here’s my BIG question: why does ANYONE think ANYBODY else actually wants to see a movie about DICK CHENEY?! Starring, erm, CHRISTIAN BALE?!!

I don’t care what it is, satire, drama, polemic, revisionism - I will never spend two hours of my life watching a movie about DICK CHENEY and his carpet-munching wife!! Sounds like a fate far worse than death to me.

by Anonymousreply 69September 8, 2018 8:44 AM

Critical success and awards don't necessarily translate into commercial success, that's true.

I don't know if there are all that many roles out there for Glenn Close (now what, 70?) or Octavia Spencer (black woman, somewhat plump).

by Anonymousreply 70September 8, 2018 8:45 AM

AMPAS loves biopic, R69. Not that I want to see it either.

Is Adams going supporting or lead? I don't know much about it.

by Anonymousreply 71September 8, 2018 8:46 AM

They didn’t love Tommy Lee Jones in Cobb or Harrelson as LBJ.

by Anonymousreply 72September 8, 2018 8:48 AM

I don't think they can get away with shoving all their diversity into supporting either. Not forever.

by Anonymousreply 73September 8, 2018 8:49 AM

They do love Amy Adams though. Like Michelle Williams, of currently working actresses, she a favourite of theirs.

by Anonymousreply 74September 8, 2018 8:50 AM

^*Or Hilary Swank as Amelia Earhart. Or Amy Adams in Big Eyes.

I think this Cheney movie thing is going to be a flop with AMPAS. Who wants to see a movie about a steaming turd? More people than those who want to see a movie about Dick Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 75September 8, 2018 8:51 AM

Is Streep going Supporting in anything this year? I can't any predictions online. Is it too soon to tell?

by Anonymousreply 76September 8, 2018 8:53 AM

Her sitting in audience and having to smile watching Glenn Close accept an Oscar would in itself be Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 77September 8, 2018 8:54 AM

The Academy loved The Big Short (much more than I did), so Adam McKay's followup seems promising. I assume it'll have the same energy, but more focused. The cast is undeniably strong with Oscar winners like Bale and Sam Rockwell (as George W. Bush!) and nominees like Amy Adams and Steve Carell. If McKay strikes the right tone then I can see it working. You not wanting to see it has nothing to do with how well it'll do at the Oscars. Early reports from the film have been solid as well.

Also, Adams better submit herself in supporting if she wants this Oscar. Best Actress is way too packed.

by Anonymousreply 78September 8, 2018 8:54 AM

If Meryl isn't nominated is she going to attend or present? Or will she stay at home (chopping down rose bushes or downing Haagen Dasz and vodka)?

by Anonymousreply 79September 8, 2018 8:56 AM

[quote]Also, Adams better submit herself in supporting if she wants this Oscar. Best Actress is way too packed.

I'd say she has a good chance of winning there. People want to get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 80September 8, 2018 8:57 AM

5 nominations, one win for Adapted Screenplay? It was fashionable to like The Big Short but it’s not like it ckeaned up in the end. Again, I don’t get the pull of the Cheney film. Heroism? Gag me. Anti-hero? Completely eclipsed by today’s headlines that most people are sick of already.

Oscar prediction: Lost in the shuffle. And Bsle already did the bald pate thing in American Hustle.

by Anonymousreply 81September 8, 2018 9:00 AM

[quote]The cast is undeniably strong with Oscar winners like Bale and Sam Rockwell (as George W. Bush!) and nominees like Amy Adams and Steve Carell.

Given the recent McCain funeral it seems W. has been totally rehabilitated by Hollywood/media. And Dick Cheney just yesterday made some anti-Trump comment about building walls. I can totally see something coming its way as an anti-Trump rebuke.

W. (2007) seems so long ago. How many Streep noms ago was that? I suggest we start counting time by that measure rather than years. As in we say, 'I can't believe that was nine Streeps ago. Time flew in."

by Anonymousreply 82September 8, 2018 9:01 AM

[quote]People want to get it over with.

It's easy to imagine them giving her a Kate Winslet - Jessica Lange style win. You got it, we don't know who kept nominating you, but please leave us in peace.

Rack up enough noms and you win eventually.

by Anonymousreply 83September 8, 2018 9:04 AM

Since the film has little appeal to most people, I bet they're hedging their bets with Oscars. The plan is probably give Adams a meaty role and have her go Supporting. She can't swing it for Lead this year. Too crowded and three slots are basically full already.

by Anonymousreply 84September 8, 2018 9:06 AM

If Melissa McCarthy doesn't get nominated she needs to start an #OscarsSoThin campaign.

by Anonymousreply 85September 8, 2018 9:07 AM

[quote]If Melissa McCarthy doesn't get nominated she needs to start an #OscarsSoThin campaign.

Just a matter of time. The View viewers will eat it up (pun intended).

by Anonymousreply 86September 8, 2018 9:08 AM

[quote]5 nominations, one win for Adapted Screenplay? It was fashionable to like The Big Short but it’s not like it ckeaned up in the end.

It didn't need to clean up. The Academy went for a film by the guy who directed Talladega Nights, and then they gave him an Oscar for it. I'm not saying his followup will sweep the Oscars, but I'm sure there's enough good will involved to finally get Adams her Oscar. It'll likely be nominated for Picture, Actor, possibly Director, and Original Screenplay. May not win those, but it looks like the type of film that'll get in, especially in this political climate.

[quote]W. (2007) seems so long ago. How many Streep noms ago was that?

W. came out in 2008, and it's been 7 Streep noms since then including one that year for Doubt haha.

by Anonymousreply 87September 8, 2018 9:08 AM

R82 Shame on you! It was 7 Streep noms ago! Doubt, Julia Child, Iron Lady, August Oscage Cunty, The Witch movie, Florence Foster Stinkings and The Post.

I v much doubt Meryl will attend this year. I think she's only been twice when not nominated - 2006 to present an award to Robert Altman (where she wore one of her better looks) and 2013 to present Best Actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 8, 2018 9:08 AM

Give the girdle a night off and stay home, Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 89September 8, 2018 9:12 AM

No, Meryl! Do come! You'll want to see this.

by Anonymousreply 90September 8, 2018 9:16 AM

Link to Goldderby predictions. Glenn's first (doing better than Lady Gaga) and the only one on every list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 8, 2018 9:17 AM

^for Best Actress

by Anonymousreply 92September 8, 2018 9:17 AM

A timely Oscar might've helped Sea Oak.

by Anonymousreply 93September 8, 2018 9:19 AM

I enjoyed G in Sea Oak, telling the hottie to get his cock out (for paying customers) as she needs the money to look good in order to get fucked. She is back from the dead and sick of being a virgin! LOL

by Anonymousreply 94September 8, 2018 9:22 AM

M will be at home?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 8, 2018 9:23 AM

How will lovely Melissa McCarthy wear on the big night if she scores a nod?

by Anonymousreply 96September 8, 2018 9:26 AM

[quote]telling the hottie to get his cock out (for paying customers) as she needs the money to look good in order to get fucked.

Is that what she's been reduced to? Last I saw of her she prowling WeHo.

by Anonymousreply 97September 8, 2018 9:27 AM

[quote]How will lovely Melissa McCarthy wear on the big night if she scores a nod?

Whatever it is, Datalounge will be inundated with fraus on the night to tell us how beautiful she is.

by Anonymousreply 98September 8, 2018 9:28 AM

[quote]How will lovely Melissa McCarthy wear on the big night if she scores a nod?

Whatever it is, Datalounge will be inundated with fraus on the night to tell us how beautiful she is.

by Anonymousreply 99September 8, 2018 9:28 AM

Why did that post twice?

by Anonymousreply 100September 8, 2018 9:29 AM

Right now campaigning is just for noms. Glenn doesn't have to win but she's going to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 101September 8, 2018 9:31 AM

Olivia Colman as “Queen Anne” in “The Favourite”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 8, 2018 9:31 AM

The only reason I would ever support a Gaga win is to really rub it in to Beyoncé and her huge ego. She was meant to do a version of A Star is Born, wasn't she? And she has many times spoken of desiring an Oscar. LOL. As if, B.

by Anonymousreply 103September 8, 2018 9:32 AM

It feels like forever since Meryl wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 104September 8, 2018 9:32 AM

Colman will likely be my personal favorite. She looks better than everyone else so far.

by Anonymousreply 105September 8, 2018 9:33 AM

[quote]The only reason I would ever support a Gaga win is to really rub it in to Beyoncé and her huge ego. She was meant to do a version of A Star is Born, wasn't she? And she has many times spoken of desiring an Oscar. LOL. As if, B.

Just the nomination would probably do that.

by Anonymousreply 106September 8, 2018 9:33 AM

R104 This year is the 40th anniversary of Meryl's first nomination. She has 21 noms in 39 years. LOL

by Anonymousreply 107September 8, 2018 9:34 AM

Kiki Layne as “Tish” in “If Beale Street Could Talk”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 8, 2018 9:36 AM

Anyone remember when Beyonce sang every Best Original Song nominee back in 05?

by Anonymousreply 109September 8, 2018 9:36 AM

Who's going to win at Venice, the closing night is tonight? I wish Glenn had got her movie in here to build up some heat for her campaign.

I'm intrigued to finally see a Queen Anne biopic. I think few people realise what an interesting life she had - the estrangement from her deposed father James the second, the falling out with her sister, her weird husband. All those miscarriages. The political upheaval. Choosing a successor who was originally 50 places behind her in the line of succession. The charges of alcoholism and lesbianism. Nearly 20 dead babies/miscarriages. The obesity. The early death. WOW. I hope OC nails the role

by Anonymousreply 110September 8, 2018 9:40 AM

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

1) Amy Adams

2) Regina King

3) Emma Stone

4) Claire Foy

5) Sissy Spacek

And there's still time for Streep to get into the race.

by Anonymousreply 111September 8, 2018 9:40 AM

Amy Adams #puke Emma Stone #puke

by Anonymousreply 112September 8, 2018 9:50 AM

I didn’t think that Greek guy after his horrible film fro last year would ever make a good o ie. I thought he peaked with Dogtooth.

by Anonymousreply 113September 8, 2018 9:51 AM

I think Jessica Chastain's gone away. She only really had one big year where she was everywhere. I don't know who was trying to make her happen, but maybe they took a hint and have given up.

by Anonymousreply 114September 8, 2018 9:52 AM

Amy Adams #snore Rachel Weizs #puke

by Anonymousreply 115September 8, 2018 9:53 AM

Rachel Weisz #DanielCraig'sLesbianBeard

by Anonymousreply 116September 8, 2018 9:54 AM

There will be some hastag campaign this year. I just feel it. All the nominees are cis or thin or something.

by Anonymousreply 117September 8, 2018 9:55 AM

If Rachel Weisz manages a nom I will not be watching.

by Anonymousreply 118September 8, 2018 9:56 AM

Joanna Kulig is a contender for Cold War

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 8, 2018 10:00 AM

There's no room!

by Anonymousreply 120September 8, 2018 10:04 AM

How will we survive without Meryl? Will the presenter have a Freudian slip and accidentally read her name? Will the camera cut to where she usually sits out of habit only to find she's not there?

by Anonymousreply 121September 8, 2018 10:07 AM

Emily Blunt for Mary Poppins 2!

by Anonymousreply 122September 8, 2018 10:07 AM

Will they nominate Emily Blah for A Quiet Place instead of Toni Collette for Hereditary? since it was a hit at box office and she has Mary Poppins film this year

by Anonymousreply 123September 8, 2018 10:10 AM

R121 On the crowdfunding thread for Glenn's campaign, Meryl herself deigned to drop by and comment! She kindly offered her usual seat to her dear old chum Glenn, should she find herself nominated this year.

by Anonymousreply 124September 8, 2018 10:10 AM

Never put it past Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 125September 8, 2018 10:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 8, 2018 10:14 AM

How nice of them to throw some crumbs her way. I'm sure she'll win then only a couple more and she'll match my record.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Could the gorgeous Angela Lansbury snag a non for playing "Balloon Lady" in Mary Poppins Returns? The name suggests the character isn't a prominent one. Anyone familiar with the original PL Travers story?

Maybe old Cock Van Dyke can swing a nostalgia nom for his reprisal?

by Anonymousreply 128September 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Charlize got fat again for another Oscah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 8, 2018 10:16 AM

Theron's not happening. The field is too crowded.

by Anonymousreply 130September 8, 2018 10:17 AM

[quote]Could the gorgeous Angela Lansbury snag a non for playing "Balloon Lady" in Mary Poppins Returns?

No way.

by Anonymousreply 131September 8, 2018 10:18 AM

R217 / M LOL if you blank out the bottom of G's dress in your pic it looks like poor G is one of the crown behind those security barriers calling our to a welcoming M.

by Anonymousreply 132September 8, 2018 10:18 AM

Of course she’s not happening. I think that was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 133September 8, 2018 10:18 AM

I like Toni but Heredity had some over the top disturbing subject matter. I think that poor little girl what a better chance than Toni. She was very convincing that people think she is disturbing in real life.

Jessica had2 good years and another 2 years she was almost nominated. She has a sure fire hit on her slate with It 2 and will be playing Tammy Wynette in another if done right could be Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 134September 8, 2018 10:23 AM

Jessica Chastain has an annoying personality, Kind of mixture of AnnE with her ingratiating toadying and then Jada with her holier than thOU OUTRAGE at Hollywood INJUSTICES.

I THINK THE academy HAD A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE IT TO HER FOR zERO dARK tHIRTY AND LSOT INTEREST AFTERWARDS, LIKE THEY HAVE DONE WITH wINSLET (MOSTLY) AND Hathaway. lOVELY TO SEE

by Anonymousreply 135September 8, 2018 10:26 AM

[quote]Kind of mixture of AnnE with her ingratiating toadying and then Jada with her holier than thOU OUTRAGE at Hollywood INJUSTICES.

You describe her perfectly, R135.

Anyway, I think she had more of a hot moment. I don't think she's taking.

by Anonymousreply 136September 8, 2018 10:38 AM

I don’t think so. Kate has been nominated 7 times and won once. She just has bad luck with projects. Working with Woody Allen worked out well for Cate Kate not so much.

I also find Jessica very llikable.

by Anonymousreply 137September 8, 2018 10:40 AM

R137 She just has bad luck with projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 8, 2018 12:01 PM

Yawn. Can the Webmaster add HW to the same blocklist as RMcG? We're so over trolls.

by Anonymousreply 139September 8, 2018 12:02 PM

I like Jessica but I think she's a little overrated as an actress and miscast in some of her films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 8, 2018 12:14 PM

R139 Winslet has worked with Weinstein on many films how mentioning the facts is trolling!?

by Anonymousreply 141September 8, 2018 12:16 PM

Maybe R138 isn't a troll, but they do exist. We're fed up hearing about him now at this point. Okay. It's been pointed out. It ruined the threads last year. Now F&F any further mention for the millionth time.

by Anonymousreply 142September 8, 2018 12:19 PM

Oscars are on 24 February 2019. 1/2 a year from now. This year looks better than last year. Should be more fun too.

by Anonymousreply 143September 8, 2018 12:20 PM

[quote]They didn’t love Tommy Lee Jones in Cobb or Harrelson as LBJ.

Oh tell us about it. Biopics are so tiresome!

by Anonymousreply 144September 8, 2018 12:23 PM

Meryl Streep - Mary Poppins Returns

by Anonymousreply 145September 8, 2018 12:26 PM

They might prefer biopics when the actors are actually good, see: Streep and Oldman.

by Anonymousreply 146September 8, 2018 12:28 PM

R114 Jessica Chastain manages to get cast in a lot of stuff inspite of her pretty mediocre box office returns because she is very good at PR. She got the fashionista boyfriend and has been a fashion show regular and magazine cover girl ever since, inspite of being short and breaking out at 35. She even attended Cannes one year when she had no films showing simply to attend a gala honouring Woody Allen. She’s a decent actress but doesn’t have much range.

by Anonymousreply 147September 8, 2018 12:47 PM

[quote]breaking out at 35.

She's got some gall. Try 37. I don't why CZJ always gets her age (32, of course) mentioned around here but not Chastain. She was much more audacious than CZJ. I think she actually tried scraping off close to a decade at one point!

by Anonymousreply 148September 8, 2018 12:52 PM

Supporting Actress

Rebecca Hall (Teen Spirit)

Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)

Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

Letitia Wright (Black Panther)

Emily Mortimer (Mary Poppins Returns)

by Anonymousreply 149September 8, 2018 12:55 PM

Streep will get a nom for MARY POPPINS RETURNS before anyone else will.

by Anonymousreply 150September 8, 2018 12:57 PM

No Amy Adams r149?

by Anonymousreply 151September 8, 2018 1:00 PM

Adams is easy to forget. One of those actresses loved by the Academy, not so much a big deal with the public at large.

by Anonymousreply 152September 8, 2018 1:04 PM

A quick Google news search for Glenn Close turns up new, glowing reviews.

by Anonymousreply 153September 8, 2018 1:06 PM

R152, I disagree. She’s got range and depth. I love watching her. Who I don’t get is Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 154September 8, 2018 1:06 PM

My results for Gaga are something about makeup and her ex-boyfriend. I'm sure she still be a shoo-in for a nom, though.

by Anonymousreply 155September 8, 2018 1:06 PM

[quote][R152], I disagree. She’s got range and depth. I love watching her. Who I don’t get is Chastain.

Oh, I agree actually (on both Adams and Chastain). I was speaking more to the fact she isn't very distinctive, her noms are more for ensembles, she seems sort of Middle American. I do think she's a good actress, just not a very... unique, maybe... one.

by Anonymousreply 156September 8, 2018 1:18 PM

None of that means she won’t be nominated and Backseat is a total ensemble as are most of McKay’s films. Discounting her when she’s topping most early lists seems odd.

by Anonymousreply 157September 8, 2018 1:22 PM

It's clear Lady Gaga, Glenn, and Viola will get noms, so who'll fill out the other two slots?

by Anonymousreply 158September 8, 2018 2:26 PM

This is a thread by the PR folks at tiff. Right?

by Anonymousreply 159September 8, 2018 2:36 PM

ANGELA LANSBURY NEEDS A NOMINATION FOR HER OUTSTANDING WORK ON MARY POPPINS RETURNS! SHE IS THE LITERAL LINK BETWEEN OLD AND MODERN HOLLYWOOD. THE LYNCH-PIN OF THE WHOLE MOVIE!

by Anonymousreply 160September 8, 2018 2:51 PM

[QUOTE] It's clear Lady Gaga, Glenn, and Viola will get noms, so who'll fill out the other two slots?

My dazzling performance as the ill-fated Scottish monarch will have me beating that redneck cunt J.Law as youngest actor ever to receive 4 oscar nods! Count on it!

by Anonymousreply 161September 8, 2018 3:12 PM

Kidman, McCarthy, and Colman are all in the mix.

by Anonymousreply 162September 8, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote]This is a thread by the PR folks at tiff. Right?

R159 is M. Unable to grasp that people would be interested in an Oscars season without her.

by Anonymousreply 163September 8, 2018 3:23 PM

Julianne Moore seems to be getting great reviews from critics for Gloria Bell in Toronto right now

by Anonymousreply 164September 8, 2018 3:25 PM

I've been guilty of using the M too but please, she has nothing but good things to say about Glenn and I'm sure she would be very happy to see her old colleague honoured. They are both talented and dignified ladies. Please let's stop pitting them against one another.

by Anonymousreply 165September 8, 2018 3:26 PM

When all the hundreds of more likely potential nominees die off one by one in mysterious circumstances --- then, and only then, will Lansbury get a nom.

by Anonymousreply 166September 8, 2018 3:27 PM

True. Only on Datalounge are Streep and Close viewed as grasping and status-obsessed bitches desperately trying to one-up a much despised rival. In real life they've both praised each other extensively. There's no feud.

by Anonymousreply 167September 8, 2018 3:30 PM

[quote]I'm sure she would be very happy to see her old colleague honoured.

Yes, I can wait to see such an old, old colleague get her due after such a very, very long drought.

by Anonymousreply 168September 8, 2018 3:31 PM

There you go again G @ r167. I grant you the DL acting award at least.

by Anonymousreply 169September 8, 2018 3:36 PM

If Glenn doesn't win -- which seems unlikely -- they'll have to give her an Honorary one. They gave one to Lansbury and her film career isn't as illustrious as Glenn. Her award was bolstered by her being one of the last Old Hollywood stars and her stage and film work. There's THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE but not many highlights beyond that. BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS? Then they'd owe one to Sally Ann Howes or Glynis Johns.

By the way, who's getting an Honorary one this year? And do you think they might at least PRETEND it still has some meaning by having it as part of the telecast. They might give one to Streep since they'll probably give her a rest from competitive noms this year.

by Anonymousreply 170September 8, 2018 3:37 PM

It's time to bury the hatchet, preferably near Glenn's career.

by Anonymousreply 171September 8, 2018 3:39 PM

When Glenn wins Meryl's screams will probably be heard the next town over. Tell Mamie to lock up all sharp objects.

by Anonymousreply 172September 8, 2018 3:40 PM

M would like to bury the hatchet in G's back I have a feeling.

by Anonymousreply 173September 8, 2018 3:49 PM

The G and M spitefulness needs to turn a corner, let's see them support each other against the grasping bullship of J-Law, Saroie, Winslet and their ilk. Lesser talents how'd do anything to be top tier

by Anonymousreply 174September 8, 2018 4:26 PM

Don't come for Saoirse. She's not cloying about awards the way other actresses are. And I like the dynamic between the M and G characters on DL. It's never seemed spiteful to me... more like passive aggressive ribbing. Both women are fare too classy to outright lash out at each other.

by Anonymousreply 175September 8, 2018 5:32 PM

[quote] True. Only on Datalounge are Streep and Close viewed as grasping and status-obsessed bitches desperately trying to one-up a much despised rival. In real life they've both praised each other extensively. There's no feud.

No?!?!? REALLY???? Wow, we would have never known this had you not explained it. We all thought these posts had a documentary-like feel to them. Thanks so very much for pointing out the fact that there's no feud. Amazing the things you learn on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 176September 8, 2018 5:58 PM

A Million Pieces is crap. Portrait of a douchey sociopath directed by a creepy female pedo. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 177September 8, 2018 6:06 PM

I'm surprised they adapted that book. Wasn't it widely considered a fabrication?

by Anonymousreply 178September 8, 2018 6:08 PM

Venice winners announced!

'Roma' Wins Golden Lion for Best Picture

Best Director Goes to Jacques Audiard for 'The Sisters Brothers'

Best Actress Goes to Olivia Colman for 'The Favourite'

Best Actor Goes to Willem Dafoe for 'At Eternity's Gate'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 8, 2018 7:10 PM

That helps push Colman up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 180September 8, 2018 7:24 PM

R176 emanating cuntitude not seen since La Dunaway got offstage after The Envelop Incident.

by Anonymousreply 181September 8, 2018 7:25 PM

Now the question for Colman is which category do they run her in.

by Anonymousreply 182September 8, 2018 7:29 PM

She might have a shot in lead if things keep up that way... but it's tight.

by Anonymousreply 183September 8, 2018 7:33 PM

If they category fraud her I'll be pissed. I think they'll submit her in lead and Stone and Weisz in supporting. The Guardian review indicated that Coleman's so good that she overshadows her co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 184September 8, 2018 7:34 PM

As of last night, you can add to that mix Patricia Clarkson in "Out Of Blue". The movie was somewhat flawed but her performance is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 185September 8, 2018 7:37 PM

Seriously there's no room for Patricia. She'll have to settle for an Emmy nom next year.

Lady Gaga Glenn Close Olivia Colman Viola Davis Nicole Kidman

That's it.

by Anonymousreply 186September 8, 2018 7:41 PM

I'm going to save a lot of these definitive pronouncements to have something to laugh at in 2019. Old caftan-clad queens who fancy themselves "Oscar pundits" without even seeing those movies before they hit their Midwestern Cineplexes - oh, my sides!!

by Anonymousreply 187September 8, 2018 7:47 PM

What about Supporting Actors? Who do we have?

by Anonymousreply 188September 8, 2018 8:23 PM

Richard E Grant, Timothee Chalamet, San Elliott

Next tier is kinda TBD: maybe Kaluuya, Adam Driver, maybe Russell Crowe. Really so far only those top three are getting the attention.

by Anonymousreply 189September 8, 2018 8:28 PM

[quote] I'm going to save a lot of these definitive pronouncements to have something to laugh at in 2019.

No, I think we're far enough along to say at lease Close and Gaga are certain.

by Anonymousreply 190September 8, 2018 8:29 PM

Oh and Rockwell playing W in the Cheney movie. Test screening word was pretty positive.

by Anonymousreply 191September 8, 2018 8:29 PM

And who’s more likely to win? I’m still sold on Grant...but I think that Crowe if he gets in, could be a lock.

by Anonymousreply 192September 8, 2018 8:32 PM

Idk Crowe is pretty disliked. They’d reward a nice, non controversial veteran like Elliot or Grant before giving Crowe a second Oscar for a 75 score movie.

by Anonymousreply 193September 8, 2018 8:34 PM

What about me??? I had to see a therapist after shooting "Suspiria!"

by Anonymousreply 194September 8, 2018 8:55 PM

YAY, Go Olivia! So interested in a roper Queen Anne biopic. I bet most pundits thought Lady Gaga had this in her bag.

by Anonymousreply 195September 8, 2018 8:58 PM

Volpi Cup for Best Actress: Olivia Colman

Volpi Cup for Best Actor: Willem Dafoe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 8, 2018 9:00 PM

Olivia Colman wins the Best Actress for ’The Favourite”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 8, 2018 9:03 PM

while Willem Dafoe gets Best Actor award for “At Eternity’s Gate” at the 75th Venice International Film Festival

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198September 8, 2018 9:03 PM

Colman's so cute!!! I'm happy for her. First saw her in Hot Fuzz over a decade ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 8, 2018 9:07 PM

That's one in the eye for Gaga who probably thought this was hers. Too big too fail. Go Livvie, challenge Glenn. You won't win but you;ll be much more respectable competition for this acting legend.

by Anonymousreply 200September 8, 2018 9:10 PM

All hail Queen Olivia ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 8, 2018 9:20 PM

She's also taking over Claire Foy's role in The Crown, so her star's rising!

by Anonymousreply 202September 8, 2018 9:24 PM

May Queen Colman reign and win Oscars and Emmys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 8, 2018 9:28 PM

I notice some posters are calling Davis a lock when no one has even seen Widows yet. Let's wait to see what the early reviews say.

by Anonymousreply 204September 8, 2018 9:28 PM

The ONLY person to win 3 acting BIFAs, Olivia Colman won her 1st for playing charity shop worker Hannah in Paddy Considine's Tyrannosaur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205September 8, 2018 9:29 PM

I fully endorse the Olivia Colman love!

by Anonymousreply 206September 8, 2018 9:37 PM

[quote]I notice some posters are calling Davis a lock when no one has even seen Widows yet. Let's wait to see what the early reviews say.

To be fair, the film has done a handful of test screenings earlier this year. That’s from where the good word is coming.

by Anonymousreply 207September 8, 2018 9:38 PM

Olivia Colman is a goddamned goddess, cannot wait for The Favourite -- the trailer is hysterically funny. Leaning into broader comedy is smart for Yorgos Lanthimos; his movies are all comedies but they're usually so dark and scathing people aren't sure whether they should be laughing or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 8, 2018 9:51 PM

As of 2017, Olivia Colman is the only actress to have played both HM Queen Elizabeth II and her mother Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Colman played the latter in Hyde Park on Hudson (2012) and the former in The Crown (2016).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209September 8, 2018 9:56 PM

We should start an internet grassroots campaign for Queen Colman to win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 210September 8, 2018 9:59 PM

Lady Gaga will finally win the award that has eluded her for years. Everyone can stay home Oscar evening. It will be her well deserved night and decade.

by Anonymousreply 211September 8, 2018 10:04 PM

Olivia Colman is a genius goddess. I would love for her to have an Oscar.

But Glenn will win.

by Anonymousreply 212September 8, 2018 10:50 PM

Glenn deserves an oscar, it is now or never.

by Anonymousreply 213September 8, 2018 10:52 PM

It truly is now or never for Glenn. At this point we've gotta wait until precursor awards are given out to see how things shape up. Right now it's all narratives... we gotta see which one sticks.

by Anonymousreply 214September 8, 2018 10:53 PM

It's not now or never (in upcoming years) Glenn can easily win in supporting category with a right role

by Anonymousreply 215September 8, 2018 10:54 PM

Yes, 71 year old Glenn could "easily" win an Oscar later on. Every studio has been dying to through great film projects at her.

by Anonymousreply 216September 8, 2018 10:56 PM

throw*

by Anonymousreply 217September 8, 2018 10:57 PM

Critics are raving over Natalie Portman in Vox Lux, calling it "an outrageously enjoyable performance...which frequently smacks of nothing less than Tom Cruise in drag.”

She's going to win best supporting actress #CategoryFraud

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 8, 2018 10:58 PM

Julianne Moore is getting raves for "Gloria Bell" but it sounds like an understated performance...which don't always click with Oscar voters.

She has a spotty record with Oscar voters..I still can't believe she wasn't nominated for MAGNOLIA or for the lesbian movie--she deserved it more than Annette Bening. But I do hope Annette gets an Oscar one day.

by Anonymousreply 219September 8, 2018 10:59 PM

Sorry, *doesn't click*

by Anonymousreply 220September 8, 2018 11:00 PM

Alexander Skarsgard - The Hummingbird Project

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221September 8, 2018 11:06 PM

"Widows" to me sounds like a fun movie, but unlikely to be a significant oscar contender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 9, 2018 4:09 AM

Still think it’ll get noms for Viola, maybe supporting actress, and adapted screenplay. It just hits too many hashtaggy topics, plus an entertaining commercial vehicle made by an auteur like McQueen? Sigh me up.

If this and A Star is Born are both big commercial hits, the Academy is going to be falling over itself to get these two movies front and center.

by Anonymousreply 223September 9, 2018 4:23 AM

Julia Roberts is getting career best notices in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 224September 9, 2018 4:59 AM

For what? Ben is Back? There may be room in Supporting Actress for her.

by Anonymousreply 225September 9, 2018 5:06 AM

Yes. Both HR and Variety gave her career and best in show reviews. I think she's lead though. She is Julia Roberts after all.

by Anonymousreply 226September 9, 2018 5:09 AM

Variety

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 9, 2018 5:13 AM

I haven't seen either film but who doesn't love Oliva Colman but I have a soft spot for Gaga who maybe will be happy with a nomination and a win for song...

by Anonymousreply 228September 9, 2018 5:43 AM

I don't see Gaga getting nominated over any true actor. There is just too many contenders for that. In the end the Academy is generally snobby about nominating recording artists when it isn't a weak year.

by Anonymousreply 229September 9, 2018 5:46 AM

Gaga's easily in. The film and her performances have received nothing but praise. They Academy also nominated Mary J. Blige last year and tossed Jennifer Hudson an Oscar as quickly as they could. Gaga's secured her nom.

by Anonymousreply 230September 9, 2018 5:57 AM

I was nominated twice (tied with Kate for the win) and neither year was weak...

by Anonymousreply 231September 9, 2018 6:03 AM

None of you queers are hardly talking about me as the winner. I hired that new publicist for nothing...

by Anonymousreply 232September 9, 2018 6:05 AM

Glenn, you're not going to win. No one will be paying to watch that lame movie of yours. It's all about Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 233September 9, 2018 6:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 9, 2018 6:10 AM

Who is the Lady Gaga troll that thinks she can win??? Puleeze. Glenn has the overdue vote and I can easily see screen legends like Kidman and Roberts and even Viloa Davis getting second Oscars before Lady fucking Gaga gets one.

by Anonymousreply 235September 9, 2018 6:27 AM

From my having won Oscars and nominations oh I forget how many times I feel sad that Lady Gaga will win, not our dear hapless Glennie whose all too brief time with us has come and gone.

by Anonymousreply 236September 9, 2018 8:07 AM

I love Richard E. Grant.

by Anonymousreply 237September 9, 2018 8:14 AM

Viola’s playing the race card, so they’ll give her a nom to stop the #oscarssowhite hashtag from returning. She was going on how H’wood still isn’t diverse, blah, blah, blah. She must be using Jada as her publicist.

by Anonymousreply 238September 9, 2018 8:25 AM

[quote]I notice some posters are calling Davis a lock when no one has even seen Widows yet. Let's wait to see what the early reviews say.

Doesn't matter. She's in. R238 is right. It's either that or #OscarsSoWhite.

I don't even think she's a particularly good actress. She wasn't as great as the reviews for DOUBT made her out to be and I thought she was outright bad in THE HELP. The whole performance was so devoid of any life, energy, anything; just that same one-note Basset Hound look down over and over. If it was a character choice, it didn't work on film. And her win is dubious. They'd have given it to Pinkett-Smith for MADAGASCAR 4 that year just to avoid a scandal.

But I don't know if we've seen the last of her. She might be settling into something like Katherine Hepburn role of regality despite the underwhelming talent as the de facto Nominee of Color.

by Anonymousreply 239September 9, 2018 10:03 AM

Vi must not be watching the same movies as me. Every couple (almost) I see depicted in TV and movies are mixed races...

by Anonymousreply 240September 9, 2018 10:05 AM

[quote]Vi must not be watching the same movies as me. Every couple (almost) I see depicted in TV and movies are mixed races...

Not when you want an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 241September 9, 2018 10:07 AM

There's actually very little *genuine* diversity. All of the diversity is black. No Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Indigenous. Just lily-white and then obvious affirmative action noms for Viola Davis or Octavia Spencer that no one takes seriously.

by Anonymousreply 242September 9, 2018 10:09 AM

I remember all that hype about her in 2011. But there was really nothing going on in that performance. I better remember, however, her race-baiting campaign, in which she tried to imply both leading up to and after the Oscar that she lost because of racism (even though Streep was a foregone conclusion that year) and that AMPAS still owed her.

She doesn't need four plus noms any more than Chastain, Portman, Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 243September 9, 2018 10:15 AM

There are almost twice as many Americans of a 'Hispanic' background as that are African ones, so, yes, underrepresented next to Davis.

by Anonymousreply 244September 9, 2018 10:17 AM

Yeah. #OscarsSoWhite. We sistas gotta show them some colour.

by Anonymousreply 245September 9, 2018 10:18 AM

I love Glenn. But it's Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 246September 9, 2018 10:23 AM

I don't predict a desperate Oscar campaign from Glenn. I imagine she'd find that beneath her.

by Anonymousreply 247September 9, 2018 10:25 AM

R245 lol. I don't think Glenn will campaign in an unseemly way, she's too classy.

Viola is a bit too big for her boots and yes she was shameless in her campaigning and how she sells herself as "The Black Meryl Streep".

And R243 is right, she has rewritten history to portray herself being the 2012 favourite and how devastating to lose. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 248September 9, 2018 10:34 AM

I love Octavia. Vi is a wonderful actress but I agree her performance in Doubt was a tad bit overrated and everything about Fences is forgettable. She should have won for The Help...

by Anonymousreply 249September 9, 2018 10:42 AM

[quote]She should have won for The Help...

In lead? Against Streep?

by Anonymousreply 250September 9, 2018 10:45 AM

I just hope she doesn't try and pull a wardrobe malfunction during the campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251September 9, 2018 10:48 AM

Hopefully not...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 9, 2018 10:48 AM

Yes r250 Meryl played the role like she was possessed. I prefer Vi's more restrained acting...

by Anonymousreply 253September 9, 2018 10:53 AM

Close strikes me as reserved and somewhat retiring.

She's never done any degrading campaigning before back when she had a chance of winning (FATAL ATTRACTION, DANGEROUS LIAISONS) even back then when campaigns were less intense for the most part. Aside from Jessica Lange and Melanie 'the new Marilyn Monroe' Griffith.

It's hard to see her getting into any of the stuff we've seen in the last few years. Like how Frances McDormand was saying if you don't vote for her you're literally a rapist or, of course, AnnE. Don't forget the E.

by Anonymousreply 254September 9, 2018 10:53 AM

It's Gaga. Have you seen the teaser? She's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 255September 9, 2018 10:57 AM

[quote]Meryl played the role like she was possessed.

Actually, I quite like that description. Yes, I agree -- but in a good way. And befitting the character.

[quote]I prefer Vi's more restrained acting...

Too restrained, I thought. For a two and a half hour long film. I didn't really think she revealed anything about the character in that time that she didn't reveal in the first scene. I didn't see much skill on display despite some the film's obvious showcase scenes. Again, maybe if she was trying to capture the character's very physical tiredness and defeatism it worked. But it became very rote and reactive quickly.

by Anonymousreply 256September 9, 2018 10:59 AM

Are you serious ? What did Frances 'I don't give a fuck ' McDormand actually do ?

I was under the impression that Glen was already campaigning . I have seen her on talk shows promoting a movie that no one wants to see and isn't playing hardly anywhere...

by Anonymousreply 257September 9, 2018 11:00 AM

It's Gaga. Have you seen the teaser? She's amazing.

I don't like her. She's gay-exploitative. I hope she doesn't win.

Glenn Close might as well do blackface to try and win. It's the same as what Lady Gaga does.

by Anonymousreply 258September 9, 2018 11:00 AM

[quote]What did Frances 'I don't give a fuck ' McDormand actually do ?

Her 'I don't give a fuck' campaign. It's been done several times before.

[quote]I was under the impression that Glen was already campaigning . I have seen her on talk shows promoting a movie that no one wants to see and isn't playing hardly anywhere...

Really? What's she been on.

by Anonymousreply 259September 9, 2018 11:04 AM

[quote]I was under the impression that Glen was already campaigning . I have seen her on talk shows promoting a movie that no one wants to see and isn't playing hardly anywhere...

To some extent actors *have to*. As in, they're contractually obligated... but it changes when it starts to become campaigning for the performance not the film. See the much-discussed Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 260September 9, 2018 11:04 AM

Oops.

[quote]It's Gaga. Have you seen the teaser? She's amazing.

I don't like her. She's gay-exploitative. I hope she doesn't win.

Glenn Close might as well do blackface to try and win. It's the same as what Lady Gaga does.

by Anonymousreply 261September 9, 2018 11:05 AM

I'm rooting for Gaga. Unless A Star Is Born is better that Citizen Kane I can't imagine her being nominated...

by Anonymousreply 262September 9, 2018 11:06 AM

Just because you try to look like a dyke doesn't mean you can't have a PR team working full-force.

by Anonymousreply 263September 9, 2018 11:08 AM

I wonder if Gaga could possibly get pushed out? If things go well for Colman and maybe a couple of others AMPAS' snobbery might kick in. Glenn is getting one. They crave her respectability and Viola Davis to fill the quota.

by Anonymousreply 264September 9, 2018 11:10 AM

259 I saw her on Seth Meyers...

by Anonymousreply 265September 9, 2018 11:15 AM

Gaga is definitely getting a nom. The Academy wants to boost its tepid ratings, and the movie is likely to be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 266September 9, 2018 11:17 AM

Financing for something like THE WIFE comes with the mutual agreement that Close use her name to promote it. That's somewhat different to something big budget and ensemble like THE HELP or LES MIS, as others have mentioned above.

Anyway, the issue is an actor promoting their film; its the point at which it becomes degrading oversaturation or worse. Meryl Streep's been the only recent consistent nominee to rise above that.

by Anonymousreply 267September 9, 2018 11:19 AM

BlacKKKlansman doesn't really live up to its hype IMHO. I thought the movie was quite cliché, the writing was pretty awful and the acting was mediocre.

Quite sad really because it's such an amazing story. Spike Lee is no Sidney Lumet.

by Anonymousreply 268September 9, 2018 11:20 AM

If Glenn doesn't get this one do you think she'll have another chance at a competitive one?

by Anonymousreply 269September 9, 2018 11:20 AM

She could easily win with a showy supporting role in a weak year, but that depends on one coming alone...

She's been the go-to after Streep for thirty-five years now, and could break through with the right role.

by Anonymousreply 270September 9, 2018 11:22 AM

Apparently, in interviews people weren't allowed to ask AnnE too much about her Batman movie that year. Her team obviously thought it too commercial (although well-received) and wanted the focus firmly on Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 271September 9, 2018 11:25 AM

Maybe M could squeeze into supporting for Mamma Mia this year. It really took guts to do that; she deserves something for that.

by Anonymousreply 272September 9, 2018 11:27 AM

I'd like for Sissy Spacek to get a nom. We'll see if it happens though, or if they push her out for some cooch like Rachel Weisz.

by Anonymousreply 273September 9, 2018 11:29 AM

I'm not a monster. Gaga is good.

by Anonymousreply 274September 9, 2018 11:34 AM

[quote]By the way, who's getting an Honorary one this year? And do you think they might at least PRETEND it still has some meaning by having it as part of the telecast. They might give one to Streep since they'll probably give her a rest from competitive noms this year.

I still don't think they're budging on insisting Doris Day actually having to turn up, so...

by Anonymousreply 275September 9, 2018 12:26 PM

Why does she have to show up? They don't show air the special Oscars...

by Anonymousreply 276September 9, 2018 12:35 PM

Glenn's like Meryl really. They're above desperate street-corner campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 277September 9, 2018 12:37 PM

#ItsHerTurn

by Anonymousreply 278September 9, 2018 12:42 PM

McDormand's win is already discredited. It was simply the most #MeToo choice in a year when that was all the Oscars were about. I they slapped a rape scene into THE POST Meryl would've won.

by Anonymousreply 279September 9, 2018 12:54 PM

I'm sure Streep will be back with something next year. With seven noms over the past decade it's her time too. She's overdue. Still, she's probably enjoying her break.

by Anonymousreply 280September 9, 2018 1:03 PM

Isn't the risk to Glenn that A Star is Born really blows up and Gaga's performance becomes part of the cultural zeitgeist in the public at large and the voters start feeling they can't give it to the person who has picked up tremendous public support? Not saying that will happen or that it should happen, just that the possibility exists.

by Anonymousreply 281September 9, 2018 4:18 PM

[quote]Isn't the risk to Glenn that A Star is Born really blows up and Gaga's performance becomes part of the cultural zeitgeist in the public at large

That's a big 'if'.

Choosing Gaga over Close could be a big dent to their credibility if that doesn't happen. It's not the VMAs.

But right now they're just competing for noms.

by Anonymousreply 282September 9, 2018 4:29 PM

[quote]Maybe M could squeeze into supporting for Mamma Mia this year. It really took guts to do that; she deserves something for that.

Careful, Glenn... or else they'll end up nominating [italic]me[/italic] for The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 283September 9, 2018 4:43 PM

[quote]Vi must not be watching the same movies as me. Every couple (almost) I see depicted in TV and movies are mixed races...

Really, I think black/white couples in major movies are still pretty rare as I am thinking to think about it.

TV, yes, much more common.

by Anonymousreply 284September 9, 2018 6:00 PM

Common in commercials.

by Anonymousreply 285September 9, 2018 6:02 PM

I'd vote for Viggo Mortensen if I could, just because he's hot AF, and doesn't mind showing peen.

Here he is at his hottest, circa LoTR The Two Towers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286September 9, 2018 10:54 PM

R266. If the academy is looking for ratings you think they nominate Lady Gaga over superstar Julia Roberts? You are dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 287September 10, 2018 12:53 AM

Julia Roberts boosts ratings? What were their ratings when she was nominated for August Osage County?

by Anonymousreply 288September 10, 2018 12:55 AM

Roberts is a major film star. Gaga is a major recording artist. The MOTION PICTURE academy will always view her more important to their industry to a cheap Madonna knock off music star.

by Anonymousreply 289September 10, 2018 12:58 AM

I think Julia is getting nominated for lead or supporting depending how they go. Her excellent reviews for Homecoming are only gonna make her Oscar chances better.

by Anonymousreply 290September 10, 2018 1:02 AM

Nicole and Julia reviews out of Toronto are off the charts. I can't imagine them not being nominated. Nicole may get in for Boy Earased I supporting. I think Lionsgate wants Julia in lead.

by Anonymousreply 291September 10, 2018 1:32 AM

Off the charts? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 292September 10, 2018 1:33 AM

I think Julia should go supporting

by Anonymousreply 293September 10, 2018 1:35 AM

So the addict parents getting buzz are Julia Roberts, Steve Carell, Nicole Kidman, and Russell Crowe? Which of these are likely to get nominations? Could Nicole pull of double noms with Boy Erased and Destroyer?

by Anonymousreply 294September 10, 2018 1:37 AM

A lot of performances get positive reviews in a year, only 5 of them will actually get nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 295September 10, 2018 1:39 AM

Hollywood Reporter review just posted proclaimed Roberts and Hedges as Iscar worthy too.

by Anonymousreply 296September 10, 2018 1:44 AM

*Oscar

by Anonymousreply 297September 10, 2018 1:45 AM

There's room in Supporting Actor. Looks like Timothee Chalamet and Lucas Hedges may get in for the same performance hehe.

Actress is super packed this year. Too packed.

by Anonymousreply 298September 10, 2018 1:46 AM

Unless it's something out of this world. Lady Gaga isn't getting nominated over any of these big hitters.

by Anonymousreply 299September 10, 2018 1:57 AM

I'm not convicted even a horribly overlooked Glenn Close can beat the actresses in contention. There's just too many contenders. All with narratives as great as hers

by Anonymousreply 300September 10, 2018 2:01 AM

Convinced*

by Anonymousreply 301September 10, 2018 2:03 AM

I think Nicole will get the supporting nomination not the lead.

by Anonymousreply 302September 10, 2018 2:04 AM

It's foolish to doubt Gaga, who's received the strongest accolades of the season yet. You may not like her, but the attention she's receiving is undeniable.

by Anonymousreply 303September 10, 2018 2:08 AM

[quote]I don't predict a desperate Oscar campaign from Glenn. I imagine she'd find that beneath her.

She has made it clear she wants it though.

[quote]Is seven your lucky Oscar number? It’s thrilling, you know? I’m proud of this movie. It was such a private, internal journey for me, and the first time I saw it with an audience, they were getting every single nuance. I’ve always felt that Oscars are about the role. And if you’re lucky enough to get a role that resonates in the way it has to to have Oscar buzz forming around it, then you’re a lucky fish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 10, 2018 2:10 AM

Glenn will cut a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 305September 10, 2018 2:13 AM

I not doubt Gaga getting a nom. She will not win whatsoever. But she will not get nominated over a Kidman, Close or Roberts. She may be nominated WITH them but has no chance of winning. I think we are looking at

Glenn Close Olivia Coleman Viola Davis Lady Gaga Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 306September 10, 2018 2:16 AM

Yeah, I can see that lineup. I'm hoping that Colman's a lock and none of the mad veterans gunning for a nomination affect her chances. Lady Gaga will win another Golden Globe though, which will help with exposure. Glenn may take the Drama Globe as well.

by Anonymousreply 307September 10, 2018 2:20 AM

A lot of awards trackers seem to think Olivia Colman will go supporting for "The Favourite"

by Anonymousreply 308September 10, 2018 2:40 AM

McCarthy has better reviews than Roberts, and her movie overall is *much* better reviewed. Can You Ever Forgive Me will get Actress, Supporting Actor, and Screenplay nominations whereas Julia would be the only thing nominated from Ben Is Back.

by Anonymousreply 309September 10, 2018 2:45 AM

Too many actresses are giving reportedly career best performances this year. Perhaps they should extend the category to ten.

by Anonymousreply 310September 10, 2018 2:46 AM

If Colman goes Supporting, R308, she would likely be up against Claire Foy for “First Man,” putting the two Queen Elizabeths against each other. Screw tradition and let Sam Rockwell present something else, because Helen Mirren has to give out the award.

by Anonymousreply 311September 10, 2018 2:48 AM

R309 I call bullshit. Ben Is Back has gotten much better reviews than Can You Ever Forgive Me. Receipts please. Because it would take a few files of the loaded mashed potatoes McCarthy eats to make the motion picture academy award her over their darling. You don't even know what your saying. Ben Is Back got fucking great reviews in Toronto. I get you're fat

by Anonymousreply 312September 10, 2018 2:52 AM

[quote]Glenn Close [bold]Olivia Coleman[/bold] Viola Davis Lady Gaga Julia Roberts

That no name poser is not going to get nominated over a bigger name. It's between

Portman

Close

Kidman

Roberts

Lady Gaga

Davis

Collette

by Anonymousreply 313September 10, 2018 2:55 AM

Colman's in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 10, 2018 3:02 AM

LOL at the un-fucking-hinged lunatic @309. I know the pissy little misogynist queens at DL hate McCarthy- I don’t give a shit about her either way- but she’s happening dear. Keep denying it- you’re in for a looooooong award season.

by Anonymousreply 315September 10, 2018 3:07 AM

I wonder if we'll see a foreign actress get a nom during this year. I rather that be the case than no-name talent Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 316September 10, 2018 3:25 AM

To the fattie poster. No way is you're little Melissa Mcarthy EVER gonna get nominated for an Oscar over Kidman, Davis or Roberts. Laugh wth you keypad all you want but no. The fatty will just stay a fatty. She already got a nom that shouldn't have been anywhere near her shitting on a sink. No. Just no

by Anonymousreply 317September 10, 2018 3:42 AM

Don't come for Colman. She's a well respected actress whose star is rising.

As for foreign actresses, there are two names I've seen out there, and they're Yalitza Aparicio for Alfonso Cuaron's Roma and Joanna Kulig for Cold War. They'll need a solid, visible push from their studios and intense love within the Academy to get in... especially considering how packed this year is, but there's precedence for it for sure.

by Anonymousreply 318September 10, 2018 3:47 AM

I think the Mixteca actress from Cuaron's Roma has a better chance of an upset nomination. Netflix will be flexing their muscle into getting Roma in various categories. They want a best picture Oscar, and it's almost inevitable that they'll get it.

by Anonymousreply 319September 10, 2018 3:59 AM

R319. That's where a a Lady Gaga is gonna get lost in the mix. If a voter is looking ar Lady Gaga vs a star like Kidman or Roberts how do you think he's gonna vote? Please.

by Anonymousreply 320September 10, 2018 4:05 AM

Aparicio Close Colman Gaga Roberts

That's how I think it will unfold.

by Anonymousreply 321September 10, 2018 4:12 AM

Don't Julia and Glenn have beef? That would make for a delicious Best Actress race. The overdue vs the little cunt who rubbed her wrong in front of Stephan Frears.

by Anonymousreply 322September 10, 2018 4:27 AM

Aparicio Close Gaga Roberts Kidman

Or

Portman Collette Close Roberts Gaga

Or

Roberts Close Mcarthy "Foreign actress" "Actress we don't know yet"

Coleman is dead on arrival and so is Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 323September 10, 2018 4:28 AM

I don't think Viola is getting nominated this year. In a laser year she can cry her bullshit tears. But this year there are actresses pushing for supreme work.

by Anonymousreply 324September 10, 2018 4:39 AM

Lazier*

by Anonymousreply 325September 10, 2018 4:41 AM

Colman's hardly dead on arrival, especially since she's the only actress to win any awards for her performance already.

Anyway, Jonah Hill's Mid90s recently screened at TIFF to really positive reviews. Seems like it's a positive, authentic theatrical experience with pathos and a beloved soundtrack. Could get in for Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, maybe Cinematography and Score by winners Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

I don't think Viola will miss much of she isn't nominated considering the film's genre. I've also heard that Daniel Kaluuya steals the show as the villain, so he could easily get into Supporting Actor as they like their bad guys in that category.

by Anonymousreply 326September 10, 2018 4:42 AM

It's highly unlikely with those strong reviews that America's favorite actress will not get nominated. Close, Roberts and Gaga are just about sure things.

by Anonymousreply 327September 10, 2018 4:46 AM

True R327. Those 3 (Lady Gaga, Julia Robets, and Glen Close) are pretty much locked. It leaves two slots open for Portman, Collette, or someone else)

There is no way Coleman is getting in front of Portman. I would go as far as to say Portman is inching closer to being locked next to the other three.

by Anonymousreply 328September 10, 2018 4:50 AM

Crowe is running around Sydney with a 23 year ur old beard desperately trying to regain his leading man status. If he is nominated, expect him to drag her around award seats in with him. I cannot tell you how ridiculous they look together.

Driver is a cert for supporting actor. He is extremely popular with his peers and gives an excellent performance. Yes, I am a Driver obsessive but he really is fantastic in KKKlansman.

by Anonymousreply 329September 10, 2018 4:56 AM

Sorry, awards SEASON. Jesus, I hate posting from my fucking phone!

by Anonymousreply 330September 10, 2018 4:57 AM

So is Supporting Actor something like...

TImothee Chalamet

Lucas Hedges

Daniel Kaluuya

Adam Driver

Sam Shepherd

by Anonymousreply 331September 10, 2018 4:59 AM

Since black actors swept all four 'guest actor' categories at the early Emmy awards, I think we should look for a whole lot of black actors coming from nowhere to get Oscar nominations, too. By proportion to total population, one black actor per category is actually over-representation. What will happen when four out of five are black? I'd wager that at least three actors from Black Panther get Oscar noms. Will it be cheered or will black people start to feel patronized like they are being patted on the head by the white establishment? Will all the other actors start to resent it to the point of saying something politically incorrect? Should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 332September 10, 2018 5:02 AM

She has been in everything and bad. Coleman may be the new Maggie Smith...

by Anonymousreply 333September 10, 2018 5:13 AM

What has Sam Shephard been in? What about Sam Elliot?

by Anonymousreply 334September 10, 2018 5:15 AM

I meant never bad or always good

by Anonymousreply 335September 10, 2018 5:16 AM

[quote]I'd wager that at least three actors from Black Panther get Oscar noms.

Calm down. It's unlikely that any actors from Black Panther will be nominated. It may get a picture nomination or costumes, but that's it. What bothers me isn't the head-patting by the establishment, but users on message boards who over-exaggerate and work themselves up about what the Oscars may do. What's frustrating about it is that even if an actor of color delivers a genuine strong performance, their nomination will only be seen as a diversity push, which is reductive.

[quote]What has Sam Shephard been in? What about Sam Elliot?

My bad. I meant Sam Elliot.

R335 I agree. Colman's already got two BAFTAs, a Golden Globe, an Emmy nomination, and even if she's not as well known in America, she's got a lot of international support. The Academy has nominated Yorgos Lanthimos twice, has already awarded Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, and if reports of Colman overshadowing her supporting actresses are true, then I can't see a reason for the Academy to snub her. It could happen. Anything could happen, but I see Colman as a safe bet.

by Anonymousreply 336September 10, 2018 5:38 AM

R336, speaking of patronizing...nothing I wrote was not calm. It was actually pretty analytical and asked some questions you seem to not want to answer. And the push for diversity for diversity's sake is what is leading to the issue you bring up of the questioning of merit when a black actor wins. My numbers are correct. Representatively, one black actor per category is actually too high a percentage considering they are less than 15% of the population in general, and probably less than 10% in Hollywood. But, when there were zero or one black people nominated per category, which would match the proportional numbers, people started screaming about lack of representation.

Again, going by the numbers alone, if white actors don't get 65% of the nominations, they would be under-represented. What happens if the number of white actors nominated is 10%? I think that would insult black and white actors alike. (And, I'm not even going to start talking about Hispanic or Asian or, god forbid, gay actors because none of that kind of diversity seems to matter at all.)

And, I still think some of the actors from Black Panther will get nominated. I think Michael Jordan and Danai Gurira might get Supporting. And, Boseman might get Lead as a far shot.

by Anonymousreply 337September 10, 2018 5:58 AM

[quote]Representatively, one black actor per category is actually too high a percentage considering they are less than 15% of the population in general, and probably less than 10% in Hollywood.

I wonder how necessary the population comparison is in this case, because it presupposes that every Oscar worthy film that's produced will, or should, reflect the racial population percentages in one way or another.

[quote](And, I'm not even going to start talking about Hispanic or Asian or, god forbid, gay actors because none of that kind of diversity seems to matter at all.)

I'm with you on this one. I think that the concept of diversity should definitely expand beyond just black and white. I think we're seeing changes already with Crazy Rich Asians, and we'll continue to see this with films like In the Heights and West Side Story that are aiming for authentic representation. Whether the Oscars will go for them or not is another question.

[quote]And, I still think some of the actors from Black Panther will get nominated. I think Michael Jordan and Danai Gurira might get Supporting. And, Boseman might get Lead as a far shot.

I personally don't see it happening, but I can see why others would. Michael B. Jordan would perhaps have the best chance.

by Anonymousreply 338September 10, 2018 6:20 AM

[quote]because it presupposes that every Oscar worthy film that's produced will, or should, reflect the racial population percentages in one way or another.

Isn't that the whole point?

Anyway, the less we see of Viola Davis the better. I've disliked her ever since her revisionism after the Oscars in 2012 that she was somehow the favourite (insanity! delusional! Streep was a lock since her film was announced) but lost because of racism and would be waiting for her payback.

by Anonymousreply 339September 10, 2018 6:53 AM

What appears to happenings is that historically speaking black and white have always been the two recognized "sides" in American history. I have said this before, American history, as it is recorded and taught in schools, clearly omits Hispanics and Asians from American history and relegates Native Americans to mere witnesses. This trickles down to every aspect of American life.

Oscars nominating black and whites only is not diversity. It's the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 340September 10, 2018 6:54 AM

True, R340. Though don't hold your breath waiting for Viola Davis to say something like, 'Black nominees make up an equal or greater percent of nominees than the population. Let's recognize Indigenous Alaskan women.'

by Anonymousreply 341September 10, 2018 7:01 AM

The US is more Latino than black and is becomingly increasingly Latino not black, but where's the Latina Viola Davis? I don't know if anyone even takes her noms seriously now. She seems to be the token with which they can use as a fig leaf if someone mentions the lack of diversity.

by Anonymousreply 342September 10, 2018 7:04 AM

Regina King will be nominated in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 343September 10, 2018 7:11 AM

[quote]The US is more Latino than black and is becomingly increasingly Latino not black, but where's the Latina Viola Davis?

Hispanics did protests at the Oscars Luncheon this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344September 10, 2018 7:15 AM

Jamie Bell in Skin. Amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 345September 10, 2018 7:17 AM

I miss The Streep Troll (tm).

by Anonymousreply 346September 10, 2018 7:27 AM

'Is a Glenn Close vs. Lady Gaga Oscar Race in Our Future?'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347September 10, 2018 8:33 AM

What film will Natalie Portman be nominated for?

by Anonymousreply 348September 10, 2018 10:32 AM

Vox Lux, R348.

by Anonymousreply 349September 10, 2018 11:25 AM

This year already seems much more crowded than last. I don't know if McDormand would even have been able to garner a nom if her film had been released now.

by Anonymousreply 350September 10, 2018 11:26 AM

Consider Colman this year’s Mark Rylance. She’s getting in; the only thing up in the air is category.

[quote]So is Supporting Actor something like...TImothee Chalamet, Lucas Hedges, Daniel Kaluuya, Adam Driver, Sam Shepherd(Elliot)

Hedges is not getting a nomination, and I’d be surprised if Driver does too. BlackKklansman is an August movie that did okay and his performance was fine. That’s it. The early word is all about Richard E Grant in the McCarthy movie. If you know the storyline for his character, it’s the exact type of role they love to give Oscars too.

by Anonymousreply 351September 10, 2018 11:30 AM

If they don't give BLACK PANTHER Best Picture they'll feel obliged to toss some noms/wins towards some color instead. So, I won't rule anything out yet.

by Anonymousreply 352September 10, 2018 11:38 AM

I strongly suspect that the category for most popular film was the Academy's attempt to throw an Oscar to Black Panther realizing few noms would probably come in the traditional categories, which in its own way, is also a form of racism. I’m glad they decided to drop it.

by Anonymousreply 353September 10, 2018 11:47 AM

[quote]Regina King will be nominated in Supporting.

Yeah, even given no one has seen "If Beale Street Could Talk" yet, it still seems a given Regina King will be a front runner for supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 354September 10, 2018 11:57 AM

Beale Street premiered at Toronto yesterday. The response was positive with King being the cast member most singled out.

by Anonymousreply 355September 10, 2018 11:59 AM

Ah, didn't realize it premiered yesterday, yes I see reviews are very positive. Not as soaring as they were for "Moonlight", but very positive nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 356September 10, 2018 12:06 PM

Yeah, the first notices did seem a bit muted. I don’t think it’s going to be a top contender but maybe nominations for King, adapted screenplay, score and cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 357September 10, 2018 12:34 PM

Brian Tyree Henry got a lot of positive praise, he is a possibility for supporting actor depending on how supporting actor shapes up.

by Anonymousreply 358September 10, 2018 1:17 PM

This year won't be the same with Meryl. I'm already fed up waiting for #4. Just hurry up get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 359September 10, 2018 1:59 PM

[quote]Her [Meryl] sitting in audience and having to smile watching Glenn Close accept an Oscar would in itself be Oscar-worthy.

If Meryl did attend the ceremony and Glenn finally gets her overdue win, Meryl will be the first person on her feet to enthusiastically (and genuinely) cheer for Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 360September 10, 2018 3:25 PM

Yeah all "M" and "G" jokes aside, Streep would be estactic for Close.

by Anonymousreply 361September 10, 2018 3:47 PM

None of these women - Roberts, Kidman, Davis, Portman are winning a second before Glenn gets her first. They are just filler if they do indeed secure nods.

by Anonymousreply 362September 10, 2018 5:07 PM

AMPAS doesn't have an inspiring record though: Hilary Swank, Jessica Lange, Frances McDormand don't deserve to be two-time winners when Close has none. And Close has had a better career than all of them too.

I'm more sympathetic to Blanchett and Sally Field however. I'd say they deserved theirs.

But it goes to show how much of it is down to lineup luck.

by Anonymousreply 363September 10, 2018 5:32 PM

Close's noms also feel different than Amy Adams or Michelle Williams. She kind of had to work for all hers and they're part of a thirty-five decade body of work, as opposed to a quick succession of pointless filler noms (that were usually more to do with whatever now-forgotten film) that no one even at the time thought were anything else.

I feel there's more a sense of her having paid her dues and now awaiting recognition.

by Anonymousreply 364September 10, 2018 5:36 PM

[QUOTE] How's [Octavia Spencer] been doing? Last I saw of her she was writing a children's book.

Last time you saw her? Are you joking? Um, she was just nominated for Best Supporting Actress last year. And she was nominated in the same category the year before that.

by Anonymousreply 365September 10, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote] Close's noms also feel different than Amy Adams or Michelle Williams. She kind of had to work for all hers

Really? For standing in a baseball stadium? For crouching naked in a shower?

At the beginning of her career, Glenn was a close to a category filler and overpraised as Amy Adams is today. Now, of course, Glenn went on to give some indelible performances that she should have won for. Adams not so much.

by Anonymousreply 366September 10, 2018 5:51 PM

[quote]and they're part of a thirty-five decade body of work

Has dear Glenn be working for 350 years? I mean... I always suspected...

by Anonymousreply 367September 10, 2018 5:52 PM

[quote]Last time you saw her? Are you joking? Um, she was just nominated for Best Supporting Actress last year. And she was nominated in the same category the year before that.

Still an Academy favourite, yes. But no real career boost. Maybe the roles just aren't out there.

by Anonymousreply 368September 10, 2018 5:55 PM

[quote] Still an Academy favourite, yes. But no real career boost. Maybe the roles just aren't out there.

If I were you, I'd give up. You're clearly wrong and you've been called out now three times. Octavia has worked steadily since the Oscar and in both lead and supporting roles, and in roles that were not originally written for a black woman. She is the epitome of an Oscar turning one's career around.

by Anonymousreply 369September 10, 2018 5:58 PM

[quote]If I were you, I'd give up.

He won't. Certain users in this thread seem to pick an arbitrary belief and stick to it despite proof to the contrary. Octavia could have multiple projects lined up on IMDb and continually rack up Oscar nominations, as she has, but they'll still believe she just can't find the right role.

by Anonymousreply 370September 10, 2018 6:08 PM

Isn't it forty years since 'Grease'? Would Olivia be well enough to attend a tribute? If not maybe Meryl could fill in for her.

by Anonymousreply 371September 10, 2018 6:10 PM

most of M posts are of her hoping G wins an Oscar but in patronizing way....

by Anonymousreply 372September 10, 2018 6:57 PM

Oh, dear, is there any other way?

by Anonymousreply 373September 10, 2018 7:48 PM

Lady Gaga's got fibromyalgia on her side now. Wonder how many in the Academy also suffer from it? The Oscar is surely hers.

by Anonymousreply 374September 10, 2018 7:52 PM

Will she cradle her Oscar the way she cradles her mug?

by Anonymousreply 375September 10, 2018 7:56 PM

Will she manage to make it to the stage or will she be too tender to the touch?

by Anonymousreply 376September 10, 2018 8:11 PM

She seemed fine on her way to the Globe, but her condition may worsen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377September 10, 2018 8:17 PM

That's definitely the expression of someone who knows her award was bought and paid for.

by Anonymousreply 378September 10, 2018 8:22 PM

Hopefully Gaga will save up enough spoons for the big night.

by Anonymousreply 379September 10, 2018 8:22 PM

Sean Penn called her performance a miracle, the big Mary.

by Anonymousreply 380September 10, 2018 8:25 PM

Does Gaga's character, Ally, get a new name once she becomes a superstar.

by Anonymousreply 381September 10, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote]Lady Gaga's got fibromyalgia on her side now.

Oh, God. Wanna bet she'll have AIDS, cancer, MS by the time her campaign really gets into full swing?

by Anonymousreply 382September 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Sean Penn is such a self-important, ill-bred, greasy twat, I can't believe he has 2 Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 383September 10, 2018 8:57 PM

Strange. I feel myself coming down with something.

by Anonymousreply 384September 10, 2018 9:06 PM

Glenn, you're going blind! Or deaf! Easier to fake being deaf, you can employ someone to sign for you.

by Anonymousreply 385September 10, 2018 9:08 PM

What was that dear?!

by Anonymousreply 386September 10, 2018 9:09 PM

That thirsty old Judi Dench tried make us believe her peepers were on the blink and on their way out but she didn't drop the bombshell at the right time and was beaten by that wench from down under for Blue Jasmine. It's all in the timing Glenn, maybe starting mis-hearing a few questions on one of your many special appearances to plug your new movie?

by Anonymousreply 387September 10, 2018 9:13 PM

You'll have to speak up!

by Anonymousreply 388September 10, 2018 9:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389September 10, 2018 9:31 PM

So tired of every year reading about how this African American actor only got in because of diversity or OscarsSoWhite. It's total bullshit. There isn't one nominated performance that has fit this criteria. But you can find MANY Caucasian nominees and winners who benefitted greatly from the pull of Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 390September 10, 2018 9:50 PM

I'm glad Gaga doesn't suck in Star is Born. But she was so ratchet in that American Horror Story: Hotel season, that no... she doesn't deserve an acting award until she does something else worthy. Otherwise, we have another Cher on her hands, who did movies just to win Oscar then quit and went back to being a cheesy music star.

by Anonymousreply 391September 10, 2018 10:03 PM

If ASIB made boffo in the box office, it would be very hard to ignore Gaga for a BA nomination. But a best song win is almost guaranteed regardless. If the movie flopped, so does her BA nom . And will soon find in a few weeks ?

by Anonymousreply 392September 10, 2018 10:13 PM

Gaga's film will likely make more money than any of her competitors'. And the soundtrack is guaranteed radio play. Over saturation may be her biggest threat. We'll see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 393September 10, 2018 10:16 PM

Any idea on how BlackKklansman will do? I see it and some of the actors on a lot of early lists, but beyond maybe screenplay and directing nominations I’m not seeing it getting much traction. What am I missing? Is it just a space filler?

by Anonymousreply 394September 10, 2018 11:56 PM

Ready or not... here comes Gaga!

by Anonymousreply 395September 11, 2018 12:06 AM

[quote]But she was so ratchet in that American Horror Story: Hotel season, that no.

She started off shaky, but I thought she really grew into the role and acquitted herself quite well in Hotel. I remember the flashback scene before she turned (playing the ingenue similar to A Star is Born), I realized she really could act.

by Anonymousreply 396September 11, 2018 12:12 AM

[quote] So tired of every year reading about how this African American actor only got in because of diversity or OscarsSoWhite. It's total bullshit. There isn't one nominated performance that has fit this criteria.

Really? I can think of several in the past four years.

Daniel Kaluuya for Get Out Denzel Washington for Roman J. Israel Mary J. Blige for Mudbound Octavia Spencer for The Shape of Water Octavia Spencer for Hidden Figures

Also non acting noms

Mudbound for Best Screenplay Selma for Best Picture Glory for Best song (from Selma, to toss as a sop for not giving it more nominations)

One could also argue Ruth Negga's nomination for Loving, as there were several other actresses more deserving, but with Streep in the same category for Florence Foster Jenkins, I'd have a hard time making that stick, so I'll call it a draw and say neither of them deserved it over Juliet Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 397September 11, 2018 1:10 AM

Apologies. I forgot the formatting rules.

by Anonymousreply 398September 11, 2018 1:11 AM

Get Out and Hidden Figures were critically acclaimed hits.

Denzel and Mary J Blige had already been nominated for many pre cursor awards. Neither of Octavia's nominations were a shock.

[quote]neither of them deserved it over Juliet Binoche.

You mean the out of left field winner for English Patient? A Weinstein produced film too. How interesting. Now that would be considered a token winner. Moreso than any of the other nominees you've mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 399September 11, 2018 1:41 AM

[quote] You mean the out of left field winner for English Patient? A Weinstein produced film too. How interesting. Now that would be considered a token winner. Moreso than any of the other nominees you've mentioned.

No, you dumb fuck. What would an award from a 21 year old movie have to do with this? Binoche was in The Clouds of Sils Maria that year and out-acted both Negga and Streep and should have been in the final five over either of them.

And yes, Get Out was very acclaimed, which is why I didn't bother to mention any of its other nominations, only the one for the person who only got in because of race.

No one asked if Octavia's nominations were a shock. You claimed they were on merit only. I disagreed. Same with Blige and Washington. What, do you think none of the other popular awards organizations are worried about "diversity?" Take a look at this weekend's Emmy awards and you'll see a whole lot of pandering outside the Oscars.

And the Harvey Weinstein thing? Totally desperate reach.

God, you're a terrible debater. Just don't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 400September 11, 2018 1:56 AM

R394 depends on the end of the year and just how crowded the best pic field may be or not. Spike Lee couldn’t even get a directing nomination in his peak because he’s such an asshole. Not expecting it for this year. Ultimately they might throw it a screenplay nomination bone. I don’t think any of the actors will get in though.

by Anonymousreply 401September 11, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote] [R394] depends on the end of the year and just how crowded the best pic field may be or not. Spike Lee couldn’t even get a directing nomination in his peak because he’s such an asshole. Not expecting it for this year. Ultimately they might throw it a screenplay nomination bone. I don’t think any of the actors will get in though.

Thank you for reminding me! There's another Oscar given out thanks to #OscarSoWhite, Spike Lee's Governor's Award.

by Anonymousreply 402September 11, 2018 2:02 AM

R402 forgot about that. The board of governors is so cliquish. They’re giving honorary Oscars to the likes of Jackie Chan now so I guess Spike Lee is a step up. Lee has done a few good films, but his personality is so repugnant and he has this smug entitlement thing he’s been nursing for like 30 years convinced the white man is holding the black man down. His honorary award should be enough to shut his mouth for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 403September 11, 2018 2:07 AM

The honorary awards have fallen to shit ever since they took them off the broadcast. For the few they get right (Gena Rowlands, Donald Sutherland), there's a whole lot they botch (Oprah, Spike Lee, Kathleen Kennedy)

by Anonymousreply 404September 11, 2018 2:11 AM

You're referencing black actors and actresses who got it based on tokenism, and then bringing up Juliette Binoche, who got her Oscar because of pull from Harvey Weinstein.

[quote]And the Harvey Weinstein thing? Totally desperate reach.

Desperate is saying every black acting nominee of the last five years got it to fulfill some quota based on your opinion. Weinstein was well known for having pull over the awards in addition to his other sleazy misdeeds. And given that many white actresses won for Weinstein productions, you can most certainly question the merits of many of those wins AND nominations.

Don't like it, tough shit. Go rattle on your illogical racist rant to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 405September 11, 2018 2:17 AM

When you have actual proof that black actors have had a Weinstein type benefactor presiding over the awards, guaranteeing them wins, then we'll talk about tokenism and catering to a hashtag.

Until then, give them respect.

by Anonymousreply 406September 11, 2018 2:20 AM

Please let's not fight. Now, if you'll kindly look at this rash on my leg... does it look life threatening?

by Anonymousreply 407September 11, 2018 2:22 AM

I don’t think Octavia was that spectacular in either of her recent nominations, but I don’t think race had anything to do with her getting them. For “Hidden Figures,” it was the classic nod to validate both a recent winner and a surprise box office hit, and “The Shape of Water” was the Best Picture winner, and they get marginal acting nods all the time (Rachel McAdams, Alan Arkin, Helena Bonham Carter). She probably would have earned both even without Twitter hashtag campaigns.

And Harvey Weinstein might be a monster, but Juliette Binoche deserved that Oscar for “The English Patient.”

by Anonymousreply 408September 11, 2018 2:35 AM

[quote](Rachel McAdams, Alan Arkin, Helena Bonham Carter)

All great examples of marginal acting nominations for sure.

by Anonymousreply 409September 11, 2018 2:45 AM

R408 the fuck she did.

by Anonymousreply 410September 11, 2018 2:49 AM

Naveen's luscious locks should have been nominated for their supporting role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411September 11, 2018 2:51 AM

What is Sam Shepherd going to get nominated for? Playing dead? He IS dead. I think Glenn should push to have herself placed in the Supporting category, as so many others have...umm, Viola Davis — lead actress on b’way, supporting in movies. Alicia Vikander is another example. Viola’s going to play the hell out of the race card because it works. She’s lucky to have a career. Julia Roberts WAS a star, history today. Do you think John Travolta will start a nomination campaign for Gotti? Sissy Spacek was robbed of her second Oscar for IN THE BEDROOM. Halle Berry was awful in her winning role in MONSTER’S BALL. I wonder if MTM felt sweet revenge seeing Sissy lose to Halle, the way the way Bernie and Al Gore felt when they saw Hillary lose to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 412September 11, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote] You're referencing black actors and actresses who got it based on tokenism, and then bringing up Juliette Binoche, who got her Oscar because of pull from Harvey Weinstein. Desperate is saying every black acting nominee of the last five years got it to fulfill some quota based on your opinion. Weinstein was well known for having pull over the awards in addition to his other sleazy misdeeds. And given that many white actresses won for Weinstein productions, you can most certainly question the merits of many of those wins AND nominations. Don't like it, tough shit. Go rattle on your illogical racist rant to someone else.

I was wrong, you're not a terrible debater. You might actually be the stupidest person I've ever encountered on here.

by Anonymousreply 413September 11, 2018 4:15 AM

Von Lux has found distribution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414September 11, 2018 4:30 AM

[quote]I think Glenn should push to have herself placed in the Supporting category

Supporting -- for playing the role of the Wife in a movie called The Wife?

No.

by Anonymousreply 415September 11, 2018 5:37 AM

Vox Lux isn't going anywhere near an Oscar nomination. Neon would be wise to hold it off until spring/summer. It's far too divisive and will get lost in the end of the year shuffle.

by Anonymousreply 416September 11, 2018 5:39 AM

I can't see!

by Anonymousreply 417September 11, 2018 5:39 AM

I'm F&Fing any post that mentions Weinstein.

Not revelant. Do not want total domination. There are other threads for that.

by Anonymousreply 418September 11, 2018 6:04 AM

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 419September 11, 2018 6:10 AM

Re: Vox Lux

So what is the controversial scene buyers in Venice wanted the director to scrap?

by Anonymousreply 420September 11, 2018 6:18 AM

It's exactly that sort of thing -- Gaga coming down with fraumbgalia -- that Close is above. I just can't see her pulling that sort of thing. However, if she wants to: Good! It's her turn and if it takes her campaigning whilst feigning a stroke she should do it.

by Anonymousreply 421September 11, 2018 8:38 AM

I like Gaga but can't help but think she got fraumbgalia because of low ticket sales...

by Anonymousreply 422September 11, 2018 10:52 AM

Does anyone else smell toast?

by Anonymousreply 423September 11, 2018 3:02 PM

R418 and R413 are stomping their deplorable feet because their obligatory racist diatribe on how every black is nominated out of white guilt failed miserably.

But I agree, let's move on now to something far more intelligent and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 424September 11, 2018 3:46 PM

[quote][R418] and [R413] are stomping their deplorable feet because their obligatory racist diatribe on how every black is nominated out of white guilt failed miserably.

I'm R418 and not R413.

by Anonymousreply 425September 11, 2018 3:51 PM

*cough, cough*

by Anonymousreply 426September 11, 2018 7:38 PM

Glenn may be having a stoke and Gaga has fibrowhateverthefuck, but have you seen how awful my husband's films are?

Consider me!

by Anonymousreply 427September 12, 2018 6:40 AM

No one would doubt you, Missy, if you said you had Type 2 diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 428September 12, 2018 7:21 AM

Melissa McCarthy, now there is a woman that could pull the sick card.

Diabetes, Heart problems, back problems, intestinal cancer, the possibilities of getting pity votes are endless !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 429September 12, 2018 7:30 AM

You do realize she lost a lot of weight, right?

by Anonymousreply 430September 12, 2018 7:38 AM

Just another hundred pounds to go, R430.

by Anonymousreply 431September 12, 2018 8:31 AM

Viola Davis has recently said she regrets doing The Help. What a bitch. Her blacker than thou act is getting old...I hope it gets harder for her to get a nomination. Her Fences performance wasn't so great...

by Anonymousreply 432September 12, 2018 1:14 PM

Melissa McCarthy is actually getting rave reviews for Can You Ever Forgive Me? And the Academy loves it when comedic actors go the drama route. Add in the fact that this is a real person with a quirky story, I can definitely see her being considered a contender.

I would also not count Richard E. Grant out for a nomination and a possible win.

by Anonymousreply 433September 12, 2018 1:32 PM

PLEASE PEOPLE! OUR BELOVED G SEEMS VERY ILL!

get the word out, she's SUFFERING!

by Anonymousreply 434September 12, 2018 4:22 PM

r432 Good if Viola now regrets doing The Help. She won't be saying losing her Oscar nomination was like falling off a 100-storey building in that case. So glad she's found peace.

by Anonymousreply 435September 12, 2018 4:24 PM

[quote] Melissa McCarthy is actually getting rave reviews for Can You Ever Forgive Me? And the Academy loves it when comedic actors go the drama route.

Oh DO they?

by Anonymousreply 436September 12, 2018 5:06 PM

I think the situation with Carrey is different, R436. First of all, McCarthy already has an Oscar nomination for a non-traditional role in a blockbuster comedy. This would be her second nod.

After his snub for The Truman Show (that's the closest he got to getting a nod, I think), he kept following things up in ever-increasing desperation. And the films did not do particularly well. The Majestic, Man on the Moon, etc were all seen as vehicles to deliver Carrey a much sought after nomination. Oscar doesn't like that kind of desperation (Melissa Leo aside).

Is Viola really saying that she regrets having done The Help? That movie was massively popular and brought her a lead nomination. I think this will backfire on her.

Cynthia Erivo will say something stupid on Twitter to sabotage her own chances for Widows. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 437September 12, 2018 5:33 PM

[quote] I think the situation with Carrey is different, [R436]. First of all, McCarthy already has an Oscar nomination for a non-traditional role in a blockbuster comedy. This would be her second nod.

But that isn't what you said. You didn't say The Academy loves comedians who already have one Oscar nomination for a comedy movie do a dramatic turn. You can't go back and qualify it when you're called out. I mean, you can, but you'd look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 438September 12, 2018 5:40 PM

Regrets, Vi has a few.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439September 12, 2018 5:42 PM

I think you're taking this a bit more seriously than I am, R438. I was just making a prediction which I followed up on with some more specifics to distinguish the two cases (non-bitchily, by the way, something you seem to be incapable of doing). I'm not going back to "qualify" my statement.

Try and calm down.

by Anonymousreply 440September 12, 2018 5:42 PM

It sounds like Michelle Rodriguez and Elizabeth Debicki will both be in Supporting for Widows.

by Anonymousreply 441September 12, 2018 5:51 PM

"I just felt that at the end of the day that it wasn't the voices of the maids that were heard. I know Aibileen. I know Minny. They're my grandma. They're my mom," the 53-year-old Academy Award winner said. "And I know that if you do a movie where the whole premise is, I want to know what it feels like to work for white people and to bring up children in 1963, I want to hear how you really feel about it. I never heard that in the course of the movie."

Isn't that the whole premise and point of the movie? How the maids' were treated and felt? The book being written was from the maids' point of view. Why is Viola so disingenuous?

by Anonymousreply 442September 12, 2018 5:54 PM

This is NOT a good look for Viola. Also, it de-legitimizes Octavia's supporting win. Why is she even doing this?

Also, isn't she playing Harriet Tubman in a future biopic?

by Anonymousreply 443September 12, 2018 5:56 PM

Except the book (and the movie) isn’t from the maids’ POV- it’s from Skeeter’s (Emma Stone) It’s pretty clear what Viola is saying. She then compliments the cast and specifically singles out the director in her praise. Finding controversy in this is silly.

by Anonymousreply 444September 12, 2018 5:58 PM

[quote]Cynthia Erivo will say something stupid on Twitter to sabotage her own chances for Widows. You heard it here first.

Lol Erivo isn’t even in the running. Widows is Viola, a maybe for Kaluuya, and an outside shot for Debicki. Rodriguez is still too disliked and she isn’t getting any notices anyway.

by Anonymousreply 445September 12, 2018 6:01 PM

R444 of course it's written and told from Skeeter's perspective but specifically in the movie Abileen has several scenes where she explores how she's been treated and how she feels about her life and lot. It's disingenuous as Viola's comments suggest the movie left her character's comments and views in the hands of Skeeter. She, as an actress, had the biggest scene in the movie, talking about how the death of her son and how she cannot publicly grieve affects her.

It was a great role to represent a black maid in 1963 was destroyed. It's very unfair to sneer at it now when she was so enthusiastic about it for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446September 12, 2018 6:07 PM

R440, Oh, I'm calm, but nice deflection. You're the person who has a hard time admitting you don't know as much you think you do. Listen to your own advice and try not taking this so seriously. The world won't fall apart if you're not an expert on every little thing.

by Anonymousreply 447September 12, 2018 6:40 PM

"Calm people" do not sound like you do. You're overly-invested and sound like an old queen.

by Anonymousreply 448September 12, 2018 6:44 PM

R448, you were wrong. Lose graciously and stop making yourself look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 449September 12, 2018 6:48 PM

I don't think I was wrong. There are plenty of examples of the Academy rewarding comedic actors with a nomination once they go the dramatic route. That was my initial overall point in my initial post. You citing Jim Carrey as an exception as a case where that didn't happen doesn't negate what I said in my original post. I addressed the reasons why I thought he didn't get a nomination. This is just a discussion, not some answer on a standardized test.

The only person looking foolish here is you for desperately needing to be right.

Like I said before, you need to maybe take a walk outside, leave the basement, and try not to take all this so seriously. It's just a little fun Oscar prognostication.

by Anonymousreply 450September 12, 2018 7:00 PM

[quote] I don't think I was wrong.

[quote] The only person looking foolish here is you for desperately needing to be right.

Uh huh

by Anonymousreply 451September 12, 2018 7:21 PM

Why has my left arm suddenly gone numb?

by Anonymousreply 452September 12, 2018 10:39 PM

G call your press agent, a photographer skilled in photoshop and an ambulance. Oh and your make-up artist.

Darling, you're IN PERIL!

by Anonymousreply 453September 12, 2018 10:51 PM

Does anyone remember me or my film?

Hello???

I'm still here and hugely underrated!

by Anonymousreply 454September 13, 2018 3:54 AM

You may have to settle for some critics nominations, hun. Next time do a musical.

by Anonymousreply 455September 13, 2018 3:57 AM

Toni, sit down with that shit film.

by Anonymousreply 456September 13, 2018 4:11 AM

As great as Collette is, she’s in a horror movie with a D+ Cinemascore. It would take a huge critical push to get her in, and even then she’d probably just scrape by with a Diane Lane in “Unbreakable” style nomination.

Right now, I wouldn’t be shocked if Best Actress turned out to be Glenn Close, Lady Gaga, Melissa McCarthy, Viola Davis and Nicole Kidman, and that assumes that Olivia Colman goes Supporting and “Mary, Queen of Scots” is a bust.

by Anonymousreply 457September 13, 2018 4:12 AM

Do you think Jamie Lee Curtis has a shot at Best Actress at the Oscars or Golden Globes?

by Anonymousreply 458September 13, 2018 4:15 AM

Horror actresses will likely be frozen out considering how strong the competition is this year.

I hope Colman doesn't go supporting! That'd be rude. And Mary, Queen of Scots looks DOA.

by Anonymousreply 459September 13, 2018 4:19 AM

Emmys > Oscars for quality

by Anonymousreply 460September 13, 2018 4:25 AM

I was gonna post a Sure, Jan gif, but decided that I enjoyed both the Oscars and Emmys, despite the oversights of both.

by Anonymousreply 461September 13, 2018 4:27 AM

R461, my point is that the Emmys have an embarrassment of riches to chose from.

The oscars not as much.

by Anonymousreply 462September 13, 2018 4:31 AM

That's true. They also have tons of categories to accommodate the entire business. Like eight women were nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series this year.

by Anonymousreply 463September 13, 2018 4:34 AM

Not very often but some have been nominated in horror films or close. Janet Leigh in Pyscho , Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie in Carrie and even Toni in The Sixth Senser. The problem with Heredity Toni ends up as an headless Zombie which turns off a lot of people I actually think the girl who played her daughter was Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 464September 13, 2018 8:38 AM

So, what about Felicity Jones? Does she have a chance to score a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 465September 13, 2018 8:49 AM

That Bader Ginsberg film looks trite. Probably won't be nominated for anything, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 466September 13, 2018 9:32 AM

[QUOTE]So, what about Felicity Jones? Does she have a chance to score a nomination?

No.

[QUOTE]Diane Lane in “Unbreakable” style nomination.

You meant "Unfaithful." I still remember that one scene where a just-been-fucked Diane Lane is reliving each moment of her rendezvous on the train while traveling back home to her family. I think she probably got the nomination for that. It was very memorable.

I'm not buying Viola Davis as a nominee this year. And I don't think her comments on "The Help" are, um, helping matters. And similar to Collette, she has her own film genre bias to deal with this year.

I know this is not going to come anywhere near the Oscars this year, but I loved "A Simple Favor." It goes off the rails completely, but Anna Kendrick is wonderful in it and very funny and Blake Lively does well with a very odd role.

by Anonymousreply 467September 13, 2018 1:39 PM

I find all of this to be fascinating and quite interesting, but no one is going to deny my pal G from winning the Oscar this year. Not only is she extremely overdue (and you can agree or disagree with that criteria when voting for a performance, but it usually factors in), but she is also a fucking force of nature in her own right in The Wife. If ever she deserved to win, it's this year.

by Anonymousreply 468September 13, 2018 3:28 PM

Thank you, M. Now, who are you again? I’ve become so absent-minded I can’t remember names anymore. Or dates. Or anything, really. I wonder what’s wrong? Perhaps I should see a specialist...

by Anonymousreply 469September 13, 2018 4:22 PM

Don't tell G, but I only said that so that Hollywood would remember how giving and magnanimous I am and hand me #22 for Mary Poppins Returns or Mamma Mia Here We Go Again. Hell, why not both?

by Anonymousreply 470September 13, 2018 5:57 PM

Hollywood Reporter: The Oscar favorite no one saw coming? Peter Farrelly's Green Room demands making room for new contenders in the races for lead actor (Viggo Mortensen), supporting actor (Mahershala Ali) and maybe even best picture.

by Anonymousreply 471September 13, 2018 6:03 PM

I will admit that the trailer for Green Room made me cry.

by Anonymousreply 472September 13, 2018 6:06 PM

There's definitely room in supporting actor. More room than lead actress anyhow.

What's actor looking like nowadays? Viggo's well liked. He got in for Captain Fantastic, no?

by Anonymousreply 473September 13, 2018 6:10 PM

Have we discussed the standing ovation I received at TIFF? Watch below. I'm so humbled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474September 13, 2018 8:21 PM

From various reviews and tweets, Green Book sounds exactly like the kind of hokey, sentimental “can’t we all just get along?” message movie the Academy eats up. Ali sounds like he’ll score an afterglow nomination, and maybe Mortensen can get into actor. Cooper, Gosling, and Bale are considered the strongest candidates so there’s definitely room.

by Anonymousreply 475September 13, 2018 10:56 PM

Yeah the reviews for the movie are "feel good paint by numbers", but it does sound like Ali might score another Oscar nom already.

by Anonymousreply 476September 13, 2018 11:11 PM

Any word on Angela Lansbury getting in for Mary Poppins?

by Anonymousreply 477September 13, 2018 11:25 PM

I doubt Mary Poppins will see any acting nominations save for a Globe nom tossed Emily's way. I could see it getting some tech noms like Production Design and Costumes. Song seems likely.

by Anonymousreply 478September 14, 2018 12:27 AM

Angie needs an Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 479September 14, 2018 12:31 AM

Doesn't she have an honorary one or something?

by Anonymousreply 480September 14, 2018 12:39 AM

Melissa McCarthy is beloved by everyone in the industry. Jim Carrey always skeeved people out. That’s the difference. The nomination is hers.

by Anonymousreply 481September 14, 2018 2:24 AM

So, Italian Americans are ok with a Danish actor making a gross caricature of them ? Whatever.

Now, I wish Jamie Bell got some notice. Talk about underrated.

I was rooting for Colin Farrell last year in Kiling of a Sacred Deer. But what about this year ? I don't think his role is proeminent enough to get noticed right ?

by Anonymousreply 482September 14, 2018 2:25 AM

There's no way in hell this Academy would nominate Heffer McCarthy over Julia Roberts. What are you some of you smoking?

by Anonymousreply 483September 14, 2018 3:40 AM

So sad that you can't spell, R483? Is that why your fat mama didn't like you?

by Anonymousreply 484September 14, 2018 3:52 AM

R484 is a beloved delight everywhere she goes.

by Anonymousreply 485September 14, 2018 3:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486September 14, 2018 3:56 AM

McCarthy will probably be nominated, and I’d rank her third after Close and Gaga right now. Her movie has better reviews than “Ben is Back,” and it’s her first big dramatic role, so it’ll feel more novel than what Roberts is doing. I don’t see her winning, but she looks like she’s hewing close to the Robin Williams path: get a first nomination for a comedy, then follow it up with a dramatic role. So expect her to win an Oscar around 2022 for playing Elle Fanning’s therapist.

If “Green Book” and the Cheney biopic are both major contenders, then we’ll have the director of “Dumb & Dumber” versus the Oscar-winning director of “Anchorman.” If I were Paul Thomas Anderson, I’d be pissed. (Same goes for David O. Russell, but when is he not?)

by Anonymousreply 487September 14, 2018 4:14 AM

[quote]So, Italian Americans are ok with a Danish actor making a gross caricature of them ? Whatever.

Why don't you ask all Italian Americans, and see what they say? What an insanely fucking stupid thing to think, let alone type.

by Anonymousreply 488September 14, 2018 5:07 AM

Still campaigning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489September 14, 2018 8:25 AM

R488, it is the character who looks "insanely sucking stupid". He litters the street, doesn't know how to write,etc. Yes, he seems to befriend the pianist and root for him but he does it in a dumb way. Whereas the Ali chracter seems different and interesting, you almost expect the faux-Italian to say :"Badabim badaboom ! " I don't want to spend two hours with that stereotype.

In road trip movies, you need 2 good characters. Sorry.

Now, I'll go back to the other contenders. I was just answering you for the sake of discussion but I don't care that much. It just seems very glaring in the trailer, like Yul Brynner as a Thai king.

by Anonymousreply 490September 14, 2018 1:58 PM

Tsk! *fucking * obviously...

by Anonymousreply 491September 14, 2018 2:00 PM

Mellissa M has already been nominated once, dear ….

by Anonymousreply 492September 14, 2018 4:34 PM

I wonder if I'm alone in this, but I found Close in The Wife miscast. It would have been SO MUCH more effective if they had cast a quiet, soft actress as the submissive wife. Close is a very very very strong presence. Hard to believe her submitting to that husband. And also, the film's surprise reveal is no surprise at all. Which makes me feel like her character is not particularly sympathetic. She is complicit in her own misery and in some ways a criminal. What a surprisingly unsatisfying movie. But I do like Close in general.

by Anonymousreply 493September 14, 2018 4:41 PM

I loved that Melissa McCarthy was nominated for a comedic performance. Good comedic performances are rarely recognized and I think it's harder to make someone genuinely laugh than cry.

by Anonymousreply 494September 14, 2018 4:42 PM

Melissa McCarthy shitting in a sink is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on film. I was laughing so hard, I was crying.

As a special bonus, I went to college with the women who was playing the saleswoman at the bridal shop in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 495September 14, 2018 4:45 PM

I haven't seen any Oscar worthy movies this year but it seems several here are taking Close for granted she will be nominated. From what I have read I wouldn't bet on that....

by Anonymousreply 496September 14, 2018 4:54 PM

Glenn is well liked and respected among the academy, she was nominated for Albert Nobbs in 2011. She will definitely be nominated for The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 497September 14, 2018 5:27 PM

I've seen a lot of garbage and disappointments this year. The only thing that comes close to being Oscar worthy for me thus far was Lean on Pete. I also very much enjoyed Isle of Dogs and hope it gets in for Best Animated Feature.

by Anonymousreply 498September 14, 2018 5:30 PM

Octavia Spencer's career doesn't really exist outside of obligatory affirmative actions noms. (Not that I mind) Viola Davis has a lead role on TV. It's something we're not used to seeing really: A not so big actor getting noms like that. But they have to. Which leads to the curious detachment between her career and recognition from the Academy.

So there is that dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 499September 14, 2018 6:10 PM

Octavia Spencer should also have been nominated for Fruitvale Station.

by Anonymousreply 500September 14, 2018 6:13 PM

Octavia is a very likable actress and deserved her win and nominations. I wasn't impressed with anything (besides making Michael Jordan a star)about Fruitvale Station. While Vi didn't really do anything special in Fences besides her snotty crying (in real life you would get a Kleenex) I think The Acedemy thought it was her time and no other in her category stood out so they gave her one...

by Anonymousreply 501September 14, 2018 7:46 PM

[quote]I think The Acedemy thought it was her time and no other in her category stood out so they gave her one...

Seems more like it was Michelle Williams' time. I think it was racial.

by Anonymousreply 502September 14, 2018 8:43 PM

R501 bullshit. Octavia is a very likable actress but no she did not deserve her Oscar. The Help was horrible film. It was a bad soap opera. It was a stock performance in stock role. Mmmhmming and fat sassing her way through a performance. The same performance she hit in Hidden Figures and The Shape of Water. NOTHING original or unique in any way.

by Anonymousreply 503September 15, 2018 4:15 AM

r487 where is Can you Ever Forgive Me get all these great reviews you speak of. Ben Is Back has played at ONE festival abound received excellent reviews. When did CYEFM get all these superior untouchable reviews?

by Anonymousreply 504September 15, 2018 4:19 AM

R503, I agree about Spencer. All her performances have a vague amateurishness to them. And her appearance on SNL is widely regarded as one of the worst ever.

by Anonymousreply 505September 15, 2018 4:21 AM

R505 that role wa prefects way back in 1939 by Hattie McDaniel. All the others after we knockoffs

by Anonymousreply 506September 15, 2018 4:24 AM

*prefected

by Anonymousreply 507September 15, 2018 4:31 AM

If a final slot came down to McCarthy and Roberts. It's highly unlikely any Academy member would pick McCarthy over Roberts unless BIB is absolutely horrible.

by Anonymousreply 508September 15, 2018 4:41 AM

[quote]I wonder if I'm alone in this, but I found Close in The Wife miscast.

You are correct. You are alone in this.

by Anonymousreply 509September 15, 2018 5:28 AM

R504 CYEFM? played at Telluride and Toronto. It received strong reviews at both. It's in for Actress, Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay. If it has strong box-office and reviews continue to be raves, it could get in Picture.

by Anonymousreply 510September 15, 2018 6:09 AM

Viola is pandering to the black vote, now that they were allowed into the academy. She first says she was surprised that the industry isn’t diverse, then she bad mouths the film that will be the biggest grossing film in her career. Viola got the Oscar only because they needed to check the box for diversity and to shut her up. She’s not a good actress, and will try to get nominations the way Jesse Jackson gets money for his charity — thru threat and intimidation, and playing the race card. Agreed about Octavia. Plays the same role over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 511September 15, 2018 6:26 AM

Viola is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 512September 15, 2018 6:28 AM

True, R512.

by Anonymousreply 513September 15, 2018 6:52 AM

And for some unfathomable reason she insists on stripping in HTGAWM so that we all can be confronted with the realty that she is indeed a sexual and desirable middle-aged black woman. We get it, Viola.

by Anonymousreply 514September 15, 2018 10:47 AM

Glen is so glossy this year. Love her to pieces.

by Anonymousreply 515September 15, 2018 1:48 PM

Viola is a top rate acting talent, someone's talent is not based in how much you like them. But sure, keep your silly racist sounding bitching to pretend otherwise. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 516September 15, 2018 2:33 PM

I don't think so.

She's not on par with Streep, of course. And not Glenn Close, Helen Mirren, Judy Davis, Sissy Spacek, Julianne Moore etc....

I'd put her on par with maybe Chastain, Jessica Lange, Angela Lansbury, McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 517September 15, 2018 3:21 PM

I think she's every bit Streep's equal.

by Anonymousreply 518September 15, 2018 3:25 PM

She isn't, of course, because it's not based on how much you (dis)like someone.

by Anonymousreply 519September 15, 2018 3:27 PM

Is that great big fat person from Bridesmaids really getting nominated?

by Anonymousreply 520September 16, 2018 6:24 AM

Yes. Melissa Manchester is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 521September 16, 2018 6:32 AM

Does Viola do any nudity in Widows?

by Anonymousreply 522September 16, 2018 6:58 AM

R516, there are far more better black actresses than Viola. Not being racist, just honest.

by Anonymousreply 523September 16, 2018 7:15 AM

There's always a better actress.

by Anonymousreply 524September 16, 2018 7:20 AM

No always, dears.....

by Anonymousreply 525September 16, 2018 8:43 AM

not …..

by Anonymousreply 526September 16, 2018 8:46 AM

Viola Davis isn't the African Streep.

Not because she's not the best actress out there, but because she isn't even the best black actress in her age range out there!

But she really thinks she's something and knows no one will criticize her when she blames any shortcomings of her career on racism.

by Anonymousreply 527September 16, 2018 8:56 AM

R527 I heartily agree. I respect she's done a fair bit of good/very good work and she has every right to call out racism and gender discrimination but it's the way she goes about that that I find so misleading and dishonest.

She really has been very lucky with her career - certainly better than 99% of those trained or working professionally as actors. Yet you never hear the gratitude for how far she's got, in spite of not being the best (by a long chalk).

I find her 3 nominated characters to be quite similar. That isn't the writing, it's her choices as an actor and her delivery.

But you're right, there is too much fear of offending or being accused of discrimination to call her out or tell her to wind her neck in. She is nowhere near the talent of Streep. Or Lange. Or Close. Or Alfre Woodward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528September 16, 2018 9:08 AM

Yes! Alfre Woodard. I'd like to see more Alfre Woodard.

by Anonymousreply 529September 16, 2018 11:24 AM

And Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 530September 16, 2018 2:14 PM

I love Alfre Woodward, she just was the main antagonist of Luke Cage and got me to watch the show, but Viola Davis is simply better.

by Anonymousreply 531September 16, 2018 2:22 PM

I like Angela also but She believes Holly Hunter robbed her Oscar....

by Anonymousreply 532September 16, 2018 2:52 PM

Gaga will be going full Bernie-bro.

by Anonymousreply 533September 16, 2018 4:03 PM

I'm annoyed at how stars can be such babies. Being publicly jealous of a colleague ? Crying about how they got robbed years before ? They lost contact with reality.

Besides, if they were slighted, that is not for them to say.

Imagine if Scorsese began to moan how he should have had a director Oscar instaed of Costner or Redford. That would be insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 534September 16, 2018 4:26 PM

Sure, it's only September but ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535September 16, 2018 8:47 PM

I bet A Star is Born is another melodrama overhyped. A la Lalaland. Our standards keep lowering every year.

by Anonymousreply 536September 16, 2018 9:00 PM

[quote]Imagine if Scorsese began to moan how he should have had a director Oscar instaed of Costner or Redford. That would be insufferable.

Well, if you want to be honest about it, he didn't have to moan about it since everyone else in Hollywood and the press was whining and moaning about 'Why, why, why Marty doesn't Marty have an Oscar!?'. I'm surprised there wasn't public rending of clothing it was so over the top and pervasive for decades until he finally won.

by Anonymousreply 537September 16, 2018 9:19 PM

And even when he did win people bitched about how it was for the inferior Departed.

by Anonymousreply 538September 16, 2018 9:23 PM

This is what I say, R537. Let other people moan for you. Even if it is annoying too, it is still a lot better than singing your own praise.

R538, that came from the haters ! "Sure,he might have deserved it in the past, but not this year ! "

by Anonymousreply 539September 16, 2018 9:50 PM

"Green Book" (w/ Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali) just won the audience award at TIFF, which is usually a good indicator that a film will have a solid Oscar run.

by Anonymousreply 540September 16, 2018 10:11 PM

It won’t, R540. It would have had a good shot at the “Most Popular” Oscar had the category actually been a reality, though.

by Anonymousreply 541September 16, 2018 10:53 PM

I like Viola a lot too as an actress. But she never plays anything other than the same put upon black woman making her stance. The performances all begin and end the same. She's never played anyone original. That's why she is just a cheap Cicely Tyson to me.

by Anonymousreply 542September 17, 2018 1:40 AM

It's interesting to me she plays these roles and then complains about them. You wanna be a part of the solution? Don't play those roles. Stop putting on a maid costume and maybe they'll die off.

by Anonymousreply 543September 17, 2018 1:44 AM

Back to Oscars bitches. I think Close, Gaga and Roberts are all getting nominated but I saw a The Wife this weekend and Indont se a slam dunk. Just cause I love Close I'll bite. But she seemed miscast and underwhelming from where I sat. And it wasn't a good movie which bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 544September 17, 2018 1:51 AM

Look for Green Book to be this year’s The Help or Darkest Hour: feel-good, period piece schmaltz about racism and/or old white dudes. Should play well with the Chuck Woolerys in the Academy (and yes, he is a member.)

by Anonymousreply 545September 17, 2018 1:53 AM

Yeah, there's always a spot for made-for-tv fare like The Blindside or Hidden Figures. Simple and crowd pleasing goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 546September 17, 2018 1:58 AM

“Green Book” winning TIFF is a great sign it’ll be nominated. The last time a movie didn’t get a Best Picture nomination after winning the Audience Award was 2011, when “Moneyball” was the only major Oscar contender to play there. “Albert Nobbs,” “W.E.” and “A Dangerous Method” played the festival that year, which shows how dire it was. (A French-Lebanese film, “Where Do We Go Now?” won).

Excluding 2011, every TIFF winner since 2007 won at least one major Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 547September 17, 2018 2:26 AM

Green Book is a crowd pleaser but Viggo and Mahershala ground the picture with their strong performances and terrific chemistry.

Will be interesting if both Viggo and Mahershala submit for Leading Actor. If Mahershala submits for Supporting, he could win again.

So far I think A Star is Born, Black Panther, Green Book and Roma will be nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 548September 17, 2018 3:49 AM

[quote]So far I think A Star is Born, Black Panther, Green Book and Roma will be nominated for Best Picture.

You are a terrible predictor.

by Anonymousreply 549September 17, 2018 4:39 AM

All four of those films are possibilities. I'm not sure why that's so surprising. Especially Roma and A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 550September 17, 2018 4:43 AM

Also, “First Man” is getting in, and will probably win a tech or two. R458 is making very safe predictions.

But what happens if “Black Panther” doesn’t get in? “Deadpool” and “Wonder Woman” got zero nominations, even though they hit a lot of the right precursors, and either could have been thrown a Sound or Visual Effects nomination without anyone blinking. And even though they added a lot of new members, many of those were foreign, art-house types who would never vote for a Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 551September 17, 2018 5:20 AM

If Black Panther gets a nomination when Wonder Woman didn't, it'll just prove that #OscarsSoMale is alive and well in Hollywood. Also, that Hollywood takes racism a lot more seriously than they take sexism.

by Anonymousreply 552September 17, 2018 5:37 AM

If Black Panther's snubbed people will be furious. If Black Panther nominated people will be furious. There's really no way around either scenario unfortunately. I'm bracing myself for either outcome regardless, and I'm a fan of the film.

If it's nominated, it'll be due to a wave of public support for the genre that started back in 2009 when The Dark Knight was snubbed. That backlash is what pushed the Academy to expand the Best Picture category to 10 slots. Ironically, no comic book film has made it in since, and the only non-prestige pictures to benefit from the expansion were District 9, Up and Toy Story 3.

The Black Panther phenomenon, whether one likes it or not, is putting a similar pressure on the Academy, except this time there's a racial angle tacked onto the genre one.

by Anonymousreply 553September 17, 2018 5:41 AM

I disagree, R553. If it is snubbed, it's the exact same snub all the other superhero/comic/graphic novel based movies have gotten. If it is nominated, it's pandering. I don't think it deserves a nomination. It was nothing special. If it had starred white people, would the movie even be discussed as an Oscar contender? No way. That's the answer to the question. It should not be nominated because it wasn't good enough. End of story...no matter what Jada Pinkett Smith thinks.

by Anonymousreply 554September 17, 2018 5:48 AM

Yeah, it'll be the exact same snub, but that doesn't mean people won't be frustrated. People were frustrated when Wonder Woman wasn't nominated either. I agree that if it's nominated, it'll be pandering, but it wouldn't even be close to the first time the Academy has pandered. Also, there's no way Black Panther could have starred all white people because it's a culturally specific film, not unlike Crazy Rich Asians. There's a reason both of these films appealed to their particular demographics.

[quote]It should not be nominated because it wasn't good enough.

That's a fair opinion to hold. I feel the same way about many films that are nominated for Best Picture. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close immediately comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 555September 17, 2018 5:55 AM

Oscars are now going to be a more overt battleground of racial politics. That's just how it's going to be now. We have to get used to it.

When's the last time a black woman won Best Actress? That's not going to cut it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 556September 17, 2018 12:48 PM

[quote]But what happens if “Black Panther” doesn’t get in? “Deadpool” and “Wonder Woman” got zero nominations,

Neither WW or Deadpool are Disney owned properties; Black Panther is. So is ABC.

by Anonymousreply 557September 17, 2018 12:54 PM

M might still get a nom. I don't know why people are ruling her out.

by Anonymousreply 558September 17, 2018 1:01 PM

Best Supporting Actor seems thin this year (which is the opposite of this category last year). Timothee Chalamet might be able to slide in being the best thing out of his so-so film and I wouldn't be surprised if Mahershala Ali emerged as a frontrunner for his crowd-pleasing turn in "Green Book." Others that seem to be popping up in the conversation are Sam Elliott (A Star is Born) and last year's winner, Sam Rockwell (Backseat).

by Anonymousreply 559September 17, 2018 1:34 PM

Does Emily Blunt have any chance?

by Anonymousreply 560September 17, 2018 2:25 PM

Green Book winning the audience award at TIFF over A Star Is Born is big. Definitely expect it to get a best picture nomination and Ali to get a supporting actor nom.

by Anonymousreply 561September 17, 2018 2:28 PM

"Mandy" is currently scoring 94% on RT, so look for Nicholas Cage to score a surprising Best Actor nomination.

by Anonymousreply 562September 17, 2018 2:33 PM

Damn I see after all the hype ASIB didn't even place with the audience, If Beale Street Could Talk got 2nd and Roma 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 563September 17, 2018 2:36 PM

Diane Keaton or Dianne Wiest should have played Glenn’s role in The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 564September 17, 2018 2:42 PM

Oohhh Diane Weist would have been a great choice! Still Love Love Love Close though!

by Anonymousreply 565September 17, 2018 2:45 PM

Wiest*

by Anonymousreply 566September 17, 2018 2:46 PM

[quote] Diane Weist

They could have written in a scene where she sings "Goodbye Saccharine."

by Anonymousreply 567September 17, 2018 2:48 PM

Diane Keaton at R564.

by Anonymousreply 568September 17, 2018 2:58 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 569September 17, 2018 6:00 PM

[quote]Mandy" is currently scoring 94% on RT, so look for Nicholas Cage to score a surprising Best Actor nomination.

Have you SEEN Mandy?! I have, as I’m a fan of Cosmatos, but wow. No. I can’t think of a movie further away from the Academy’s taste than Mandy. But thanks for the laugh!

by Anonymousreply 570September 17, 2018 7:45 PM

If you think a movie that wound up going day and date VOD has even a tenth of the budget necessary to do an Oscar campaign, you might out of your mind. If you think Nicholas Cage has a shot at any more awards ever, you've proven it.

by Anonymousreply 571September 17, 2018 10:23 PM

OMG queens, it was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 572September 18, 2018 2:40 PM

Most jokes are actually funny dear.

by Anonymousreply 573September 18, 2018 3:08 PM

It wasn't a knee slapper... just an absurd statement. That you took him seriously is funny though.

by Anonymousreply 574September 18, 2018 3:11 PM

Will they give Gaga a nom just for ratings?

by Anonymousreply 575September 18, 2018 4:54 PM

The critics poll from TIFF.

Best Film

1. “Roma” (19%)

2. “If Beale Street Could Talk” (12%)

3. “A Star is Born” (7%)

4. “Widows” (6%)

5. “Green Book” and “High Life” (5%)

Best Performance

1. Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma” (9%)

2. Elisabeth Moss, “Her Smell” (7%)

3. Lady Gaga, “A Star is Born” (6%)

4. Nicole Kidman, “Destroyer” (4%)

5. Viola Davis, “Widows” (3%)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576September 19, 2018 12:13 AM

Beale Street got 2nd place with both the audience and the critics. That is promising.

by Anonymousreply 577September 19, 2018 12:40 AM

Yeah, that's one to look out for. Picture nominee for sure.

by Anonymousreply 578September 19, 2018 12:41 AM

Watch Beale Street be snubbed for Green Book.

by Anonymousreply 579September 19, 2018 1:23 AM

Bridesmaids was painfully unfunny. SNL women trying to do their own take on Wedding Crashers, frat boy movies. You don't deserve Oscar nominations for that.

by Anonymousreply 580September 19, 2018 1:29 AM

Beale Street isn't going to be unfairly snubbed, the directors last movie won best picture.

by Anonymousreply 581September 19, 2018 1:29 AM

[quote]2. Elisabeth Moss, “Her Smell”

Those are the four most revolting words I've ever seen put together.

by Anonymousreply 582September 19, 2018 2:15 AM

How do they expect anyone to go see something called Her Smell??

by Anonymousreply 583September 19, 2018 3:18 AM

Lezs, R583.

by Anonymousreply 584September 19, 2018 6:58 AM

This week's Emmys were the lowest rated ever. Increasingly, that's going to matter. They have to do something to reverse the trend. Giving Gaga a nom is just the start.

Not that I think she'd really draw in crowds. When was her last hit? 2011?

by Anonymousreply 585September 19, 2018 6:59 AM

Not this one, R584.

by Anonymousreply 586September 19, 2018 7:13 AM

Lots of people excited to see Bohemian Rhapsody. There are a lot of praise for Rami Malek. Playing Freddy Mercury is a once in a lifetime role, the guy was bigger than life.

by Anonymousreply 587September 19, 2018 7:44 AM

Apologies as I'm still in the emergency room at the moment (they are giving me at least 4 months), so I beg of you all: am I still in the running? For anything?

by Anonymousreply 588September 19, 2018 9:28 AM

Is Glenn the most nominated actor without a win?

by Anonymousreply 589September 19, 2018 1:41 PM

For actresses she's currently tied with Thelma Ritter with 6 nominations without a win. Glenn, if she gets nominated next year, will have the most without a win (if she doesn't win, of course).

For actors, Richard Burton was nominated for 7 without winning. Peter O'Toole lost all 8 of his competitive nominations, but did get an honorary one.

by Anonymousreply 590September 19, 2018 1:54 PM

When's the followup thread?

by Anonymousreply 591September 19, 2018 8:30 PM

Well, at least she hasn't been reduced to working for Ryan Murphy... yet.

by Anonymousreply 592September 19, 2018 8:33 PM

I feel nauseous. Need aspirin. Or a nomination will do.

by Anonymousreply 593September 19, 2018 8:34 PM

Be thankful for a theatrical release, dear.

by Anonymousreply 594September 19, 2018 8:37 PM

Could someone keep an eye on her the night of the ceremony? I worry about her alone.

by Anonymousreply 595September 19, 2018 8:44 PM

Don will be keeping me company. What about you, dear, an escort or attending alone?

by Anonymousreply 596September 19, 2018 8:45 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597September 19, 2018 9:04 PM

SHUT

by Anonymousreply 598September 19, 2018 9:04 PM

IT.

by Anonymousreply 599September 19, 2018 9:05 PM

DOWN

by Anonymousreply 600September 19, 2018 9:05 PM

You heard me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601September 19, 2018 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!