Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leftover Pork Roast

Do any of you have creative ideas for using a big of leftover pork roast?

Last night I served one and we ate all the crisp crackling skin, I then trimmed off the fat and rendered it for frying potatoes etc, but I have a big chunk of meat in the frig. Any wonderful ideas?

by Anonymousreply 52September 9, 2018 10:19 AM

I immediately thought of sandwiches and stir fry type dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2018 10:56 AM

Freeze it in portions, sliced if possible. Pork freezes well.

You can use it for sandwiches (possibilities: Monterey Jack cheese and thinly sliced apple; curry, mayo, and chutney; thinly sliced onion and bbq sauce), shred it with bbq sauce, serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy.

You can also use it to make either a Korean or Thai style omelette using the chopped up pork, chopped green onions, and the appropriate sauces.

Finally, you can use it to make one-bowl meals: potato, sauerkraut, onion, and apple; buttered egg noodles and braised cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2018 11:07 AM

Yep, a quick stirfry. This is how I whip up my leftover pork - add cooked brown rice, fried egg, spring onion, grated carrot, frozen peas, a dash of soy sauce and a good twist of cracked black pepper. Toss it all together in wok. High in protein, filling and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2018 11:09 AM

[quote]Do any of you have creative ideas for using a big of leftover pork roast?

NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2018 11:12 AM

This Pork Roast thread touching other threads on DL is DIGITAL RAPE RAPE of my alimentary pureness.

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2018 11:17 AM

It's "fridge."

"Frig" means to jerk off.

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2018 11:19 AM

I suppose it depends in what country you live but here a frig keeps things cold.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2018 11:23 AM

Vitello tonatto

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2018 11:33 AM

Shred it and add bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches. I did this the other week, it was good. I use Sweet Baby Rays.

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2018 11:37 AM

So, OP.... You made a pork roast and then you and your associated other(s) ate the skin and left the meat?

That's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2018 11:43 AM

I'm saying OP misspelled a word, r7. Did you not get that or are you attempting little joke?

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2018 11:44 AM

That's what I do, r9, but I use Stubb's.

Sometimes I'll make chalupas: ibput pinto beans, stock, green chiles and spices in a crock pot and let them cook, then for the last hour or two add the leftover pork ao it heats through, and shred before serving.

You can also slice the roast and freeze it in its juices and warm it all up in a low oven, but it always tastes leftover to me so I prefer BBQ pork.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2018 11:49 AM

* ibput = I put

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2018 11:50 AM

Thanks but I can't abide that sweet tomato based BBQ sauce. I find it so disgusting.

I could not possibly put a tuna sauce on it, but cold with a sauce sounds like a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2018 2:38 PM

Rissoles. And I am unanimous in that.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2018 3:17 PM

R15

Do you suggest the Australian, Turkish or French version of Rissoles?

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2018 3:21 PM

Where is "here," r7?

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2018 3:27 PM

Pork done tonnato style is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2018 3:30 PM

Berlin

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2018 3:36 PM

Thanks, r19. In America (England, too?) we spell it "fridge."

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2018 3:39 PM

It is indeed spelled fridge in the U.S. “Frig” looks like it would have a hard “g” to us. I always took “frig” to be a euphemism for “fuck,” not masturbation. That’s new to me.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2018 3:43 PM

Slaw, OP.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2018 3:43 PM

[quote]I always took “frig” to be a euphemism for “fuck,” not masturbation. That’s new to me.

Yes, "frigging" instead of "fucking."

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2018 3:45 PM

Points for correct spelling R18. R8 must be making it with fermented soybeans. Could be quite tasty, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2018 3:48 PM

Pork tacos are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2018 4:17 PM

Pork Salad sandwiches

I will roast pork and turn the whole thing into pork salad. Think of ham salad but with pork. I think it is actually much better than ham salad. You can grind up the roast pork and freeze some of it if it makes too much and thaw and mix with other ingredients. I add hard boiled eggs, mayo, sweet relish, celery, pecans or walnuts. It is best served on Hawaiian Bread but any bread will do.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2018 4:33 PM

R25 for the win. I have Cilantro on the terrace and made some tortilla which are frozen. Pork tacos it is, since there is no decent Mexican in this town.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2018 4:34 PM

Cheesy Pork Rice Skillet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2018 4:36 PM

^ Frozen carrots and peas, sour cream, cheddar cheese, rice.... is that one of those "Dump Dinners"?

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2018 4:45 PM

Pork soufflé.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2018 5:14 PM

If you have some of the drippings left, make gravy and pour over open-face pork sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2018 5:21 PM

I can think of something.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2018 5:25 PM

You've heard of Chicken & Waffles, right?

Well, The Other White Meat folks have dreamed up "Pork Roast 'n' Pancakes!"

Try it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2018 5:36 PM

Pork fried rice and/or jambalaya depending on how much u have.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2018 5:47 PM

[quote] NO!!!

—Jews, Muslims, Vegetarians, Vegans

"What are four groups for whom nothing is ever alright"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2018 7:10 PM

OP Why did you eat only the skin?

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2018 7:13 PM

OP, Fake Chipotle Barbacoa

slow cooker recipe

Servings: 8

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves, 4 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons oregano, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1.5 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3/4 cup chicken broth, 3 bay leaves, 3 tablespoons lime juice, 3 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo (1/2 teaspoon of chili powder = 1 chile), Your Meat

Brown the 3x3 inch chunks of your pork using the oil and then throw it into the slow cooker for a few hours.

If you were to use raw pork roast, you'd brown your meat and let the mess cook for 8-10 hours on low.

Use forks to shred.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2018 7:18 PM

Good Lord that sounds good, R37!!

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2018 1:45 AM

R36 I did not state we ate ONLY the skin, I stated that we ate all of the skin.

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2018 7:11 AM

Thanks r21, I didn't realize I knew it as old Middle English slang. It does mean to fuck, but "The original sense was ‘move restlessly, wriggle’, later ‘rub, chafe’, hence ‘masturbate’ (late 17th century)."

I probably picked up on it as a lit major, though I could have sworn Stephen King used the word in his books written in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2018 8:53 AM

I almost got a big chunk in the frig last night but I already hooked up and I was tired. He was cute, though.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2018 9:05 AM

Oh, you're not getting away with that, OP/R39. Don't abuse poor R36.

Your original post clearly states what happened on the fateful night.

1. I served one (Ed. Note. "One" refers to pot roast.)

2. We ate all the crisp crackling skin

3. I then trimmed off the fat

4. and rendered it

NO WHERE does it indicate that any of the pork roast was consumed at this dinner.

by Anonymousreply 42September 8, 2018 1:05 PM

Cuban sandwiches! Pork, sweet ham, Swiss cheese, mustard & pickles in baguette or French bread. Plus points if you have a sandwich press, panera, or even a toaster oven to make the fresh bread crispy and warm.

Tons of recipes/pics in the internet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 8, 2018 1:45 PM

A better looking Cuban Sandwich; the one I posted at r43 looks too burnt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 8, 2018 1:47 PM

Oh and Chef John uses pulled pork. Forget that! Roast pork tastes much better and there’s no need for mayonnaise or butter.

by Anonymousreply 45September 8, 2018 1:50 PM

Use it really the next day , as pork oxidizes quickly and gives it that off-taste. I am very finnicky about pork, but love it!

by Anonymousreply 46September 8, 2018 1:51 PM

Mmmm, pork soufflé....

by Anonymousreply 47September 8, 2018 3:50 PM

On Thursday I made two pizzas, one with leftover pork tenderloin, thinly sliced, also topped with caramelized red onions, parmesan cheese, chopped fresh spinach, and old cheddar.

The other pizza I topped with leftover meatloaf, crumbled, again with parmesan cheese, spinach and old cheddar.

Two deep dish 8" homemade pizzas, dinner and lunch for three days with a side of barley soup or salad.

by Anonymousreply 48September 9, 2018 5:02 AM

Mmmmmmm... crisp crackling skin.... *drools*

by Anonymousreply 49September 9, 2018 5:13 AM

R48, can I move in? Or perhaps you want to move into my home? Hahaha! They sound delicious.

by Anonymousreply 50September 9, 2018 5:19 AM

You ate the skin and the fat but didn’t eat the meat?

by Anonymousreply 51September 9, 2018 5:28 AM

R51 Asked and answered, more than once.

by Anonymousreply 52September 9, 2018 10:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!