Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roy Rogers and Trigger - A Trip Down Memory Lane

For those DL posters wanting to re-live an earlier time. By themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2018 10:32 PM

They did a good job. Dale and Roy look positively alive there. I remember seeing widow Dale on Christian TV all the time in the 90s talking about the Lord with the like of the Crouches or Pat Robertson. Poor deluded old bag.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2018 1:23 AM

Beautiful woman. Had 6 kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2018 1:25 AM

Just read up on Dale’s backstory - I had no idea she eloped with her first husband at age 14, had her first child at age 15, and was abandoned by said husband when she was 16. She went into the music business to make a living for herself and her son.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2018 1:41 AM

The Sears Wish Book in the 1950s had quite a selection of Roy Rogers duds for little buckaroos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2018 1:45 AM

Those prices R4!

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2018 2:10 AM

Triggered!

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2018 2:10 AM

I like that they were Christians but not smarmy about it and tried to live their lives according to the best of the their beliefs.

And Roy was handsome.

And clearly Bullet had the real balls in the family.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2018 2:21 AM

I had a Roy Rogers outfit similar to those at R4, although I don't know if it came from Sears. I used to go to my room and put it on before parking myself in front of the TV to watch their show.

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2018 2:35 AM

My brother was such a fan of Roy Rogers, he had a lot of stuff from that Sears catalog page. One time he decided to use the beige hat as a lampshade, and set it on fire.

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2018 2:44 AM

R9 - You have made my evening with that story.

Perhaps it will give Meghan Markle an idea of what to do with the top of that dress she wore on her outing with the HM.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2018 2:47 AM

Another picture of Roy, Trigger and the kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2018 5:08 AM

And again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2018 5:09 AM

Roy and child in oxygen tent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2018 5:11 AM

Santa Claus came to visit me in the hospital one christmas when I was in an oxygen tent. It was on WOR-TV. I just wanted to go home.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2018 7:48 AM

Roy aged very well. His looks didn't change much over time.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2018 8:39 AM

Oh, the one with the child in the oxygen tent just about did me in!

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2018 12:58 PM

When I was a little kid I visited California with my parents and was told we'd be visiting the Rogers Ranch. Much to my disappointment it turned out to be the Will Rogers Ranch. At the time the only Rogers I knew about was Roy.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2018 1:16 PM

I didn't finish r14 (hit "Post" too soon and had to deal with someone at the door). My point in mentioning Santa Claus is that my brother heard about Roy Rogers visiting kids in hospitals, and he was really hoping I would get a visit from Roy. He seemed truly disappointed that only Santa Claus came to see me during my bout with pneumonia.

r14 r9

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2018 1:23 PM

Someone gave me a dvd of the old Roy Rogers serials. At first I couldnt figure out what the time period was because they rode horses like in an old western but occasionally a jeep would show up. At any rate, I didn't expect much but it was clear right away that Rogers had real star power. It was funny because I thought it would be like MST2000 movies with a bunch of no-names stumbling around. True, the plots were basic but Rogers had "it". Dale, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2018 5:53 PM

I wish that Poo and the other pedo accusing hysterics would stumble into this thread so as to read about Dale's marriage at 14 and childbirth a year later. Every goddam time the frau who is obsessed with Jeffrey Epstein "who RAPED a 14 year old girl(never mind that she was a prostitute long before she met him) and therefore he is a PEDOPHILE I remind her that having sex with a girl who is underage TODAY does not make a man a pedophile. If it did, then half the men of the past(before 1970) were pedophiles.

I am not claiming it was the norm, but it was common. I lived in Va in the sixties and we had a fair number of teen married girls in my high school. Men on TV shows featured on MeTV are often lusting over young teen girls...it was not considered a taboo.

Anyway, I always had a bit of a soft spot for old Dale, even though she was just a hair more sane than Jan Crouch.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2018 7:22 PM

My first grade teacher played a record of Roy & Dale singing “Happy Trails” every Friday as we headed out for the weekend. I still remember the words!

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2018 7:27 PM

If you catch Roy in the right pants and at the right angle, you can see that he may have given Trigger some competition in the "package" department.

Some guy told a story about going to the same church as the Rogers family and one Sunday, after services, he was chatting with Roy. Dale had skipped church that day. Chit chatting away, Roy mentioned what a beautiful morning it had turned out to be. Taking leave of his friend, he casually said: "It's so nice, I think I'll go home and fuck Dale."

I hope it's true!

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote] At first I couldnt figure out what the time period was because they rode horses like in an old western but occasionally a jeep would show up.

I remember that from watching as a kid. It didn't bother me much, but I think I just thought the "West" was just the same, except they were gradually becoming a bit more modern with that Jeep.

Thanks for the chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2018 7:57 PM

Remember SNL's Weekend Update piece:? "Roy Rogers announced that he would like to be stuffed and mounted on top of Trigger, his dead horse, who is also stuffed. Dale Evans, Roy's affectionate wife, said that she too would like to be stuffed and mounted, not necessarily in that order."

A 180 turn from that, but still on the topic, when I was a kid, I read Dale Evans' book, "Angel Unaware," an inspirational book about their daughter with Down Syndrome. (idk, I'd read anything, and some Baptist relative had that book); I thought I read two books of hers, something else about a kid, but looking over her oeuvre, I don't see anything else that rings a bell.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2018 8:29 PM

R20....there was more than just one underage girl. My God you took a sweet thread and can't even use the term "woman" lol. Jeffrey Epstein was the adult, he had the upper hand. No I'm not this J.E. troll or Poo shoes either. I mean R20 there are legitimate news stories about this man.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2018 8:34 PM

I remember a documentary in which one of Rogers' agents said he tried to persuade Rogers to do a non-Western movie, specifically a film noir, but Rogers thought the public had typecast him and wouldn't accept it. Too bad--he might have brought it off.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2018 8:57 PM

R25 Not that it's any of your business, but I am neither.

I am a middle age woman who despises the recklessness of those accusing men of pedophilia when they are not pedophiles. It is so insulting to those who were raped before puberty by adult men. Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2018 10:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!