Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1954 How to dial your phone by Bell System

What? No pencil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2018 7:26 PM

I don't get it. I'm sure I've seen pre-1950s phones with dials. What was so new about it?

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2018 3:48 AM

I assume it was done exchange by exchange. A much earlier version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2018 3:58 AM

How would one view these instructional films? There was no home video at the time.

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2018 4:29 AM

Television, movie theater, or home projector at a school, club meeting, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2018 4:33 AM

In England - the morons at the phone company stopped printing letter on the phone when all numbers came in. It was a major annoyance. The Americans did not.

and now look how important those letters turned out to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2018 4:40 AM

[quote]In England - the morons at the phone company stopped printing letter on the phone

sorry - LETTERS

They also looked better before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2018 4:41 AM

It's so complicated....How can I expected to remember all this?

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2018 4:46 AM

I love her Upper Crust New York accent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2018 4:55 AM

I know that my original phone number was AVON-XXXX, but I haven't been able to track down the full number. Maybe in my parents' papers.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2018 5:01 AM

Ours was DRake 6-xxxx

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2018 5:07 AM

Ours was MIdway 8-xxxx

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2018 5:11 AM

What's next? Billie Burke explains how to change a lightbulb?

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2018 4:01 PM

It does seem odd that it took until 1954 for some people to get dials.

I do remember in England - we lived just 35 miles from London and had to call the operator to connect to London, until about 1974.

Also, it seems some young folk don't even know what an "operator" is. Recently when I was thinking of changing my landline supplier I asked about how I'd call the operator and the girl had to go ask someone what an operator was

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2018 4:31 PM

The politics of the dial:

[quote]On rotary dial phones smaller numbers, such as 2, are dialed more rapidly than longer numbers, such as 9 (because the dial turns much further with a 9). In 1947, area codes were introduced in the United States, so as to facilitate direct distance dialing first by operators, then by subscribers. In the original system in use until 1995, the first digit of the area code could not be a one or a zero, but the second number had to be a one or zero. This allowed mechanical switching equipment in the central offices to distinguish local from "long distance" calls.

[quote]Therefore, the lowest and most quickly dialed code was 212; the highest and slowest 909. The Bell System, in developing the original area codes, assigned the lowest codes to the areas where they would be most used: the large cities. 212, the lowest number, was New York City. The next to lowest, 213 and 312, were Los Angeles and Chicago. 214 was Dallas and 412 was Pittsburgh. A high number like 919 was assigned to North Carolina. An even higher number, 907 (higher because the 0 counts as 10), was Alaska.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2018 7:09 PM

A dial tone! Ah, such beautiful memories.....Phones were so GLAMOROUS.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2018 7:26 PM

Now let's learn about typewriters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2018 7:42 PM

Montrose 3-xxxx. I still remember those last four numbers.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2018 7:48 PM

[quote]Ours was DRake 6-xxxx

[quote]Ours was MIdway 8-xxxx

From Lily Tomlin's Ernestine album:

The pay phone that kept stealing people's dimes was BOswick ni-an -- ni-an six five oh.

Ernestine also offered to arrange for "how to dial your phone" lessons when she called a whorehouse after noticing that there had never been an outgoing call from that number. "In the case of the elderly, or the foreign, special instructions in dialing may be required. If it's a matter of unfamiliarity with your equipment, we could ... What's that? ... Oh, nobody's equipment is more familiar than yours. I see."

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2018 7:50 PM

R18 "Oh you know Vito, our repairman? Yes he IS tireless..."

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2018 8:03 PM

R13 That bit about the girl not knowing what an operator is made me faintly suicidal.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2018 8:07 PM

That silent version made dialing a phone look incredibly difficult. I would have panicked if I had seen that video.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2018 8:24 PM

I wish they would bring back party lines.

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2018 8:39 PM

How are we supposed to remember all of this? And are they going to charge less for the calls now that we have to connect them ourselves? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2018 9:01 PM

Given that we have to dial our own phones, I predict that supermarkets will start asking us to ring up our purchases ourselves!

I, for one, will not stand for it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote]And are they going to charge less for the calls now that we have to connect them ourselves? I doubt it.

They did in England.

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2018 9:15 PM

R8, that's not a dial tone, that's a buzzsaw!

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2018 9:27 PM

Got to love those old phones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2018 10:35 PM

[bold]WE[/bold]bster 5-1234. Because my dad's buddy at the telephone company got it for him as they were assigning numbers in the early 1950's. "Easy for people to remember," he said.

"Way too easy," he later said. He'd never give it up, though. I wonder who has it now.

When these came out 20 years later, I think he bought the first one. The Bell System resisted these for years out of fear people wouldn't make calls if they they thought they were being recorded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2018 1:55 AM

I vividly recall the outrage when all-number phone numbers arrived....in fact, I'm still outraged.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]I vividly recall the outrage when all-number phone numbers arrived....in fact, I'm still outraged.

Yes, it was ghastly.

Meet Ann (All Numbers Numbers) - get it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2018 3:38 AM

[quote]I don't get it. I'm sure I've seen pre-1950s phones with dials

Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2018 5:10 AM

[quote]I vividly recall the outrage when all-number phone numbers arrived....in fact, I'm still outraged.

John E. Karlin, Who Led the Way to All-Digit Dialing

“One day I was at a cocktail party and I saw some people over in the corner,” Mr. Karlin recalled in a 2003 lecture. “They were obviously looking at me and talking about me. Finally a lady from this group came over and said, ‘Are you the John Karlin who is responsible for all-number dialing?’ ”

Mr. Karlin drew himself up with quiet pride.

“Yes, I am,” he replied.

“How does it feel,” his inquisitor asked, “to be the most hated man in America?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2018 5:36 AM

Our number is YUkon 6 -####

I found a list of historic. Chicago exchanges - and was pleased to see ours

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2018 6:54 AM

The lady in the first video shows how to dial the letters, dialing the "6" while saying the corresponding "O" ("oh") letter. Later, she says "O" again when she dials the number zero.

It's not confusing to us because we are familiar with it, but I can see that overlooked detail causing older people to say "which O do I dial?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2018 8:00 AM

>And are they going to charge less for the calls now that we have to connect them ourselves?

No, they did it the all-American freedom-loving way... if you dialed yourself, it was the same price as before. If you used an Operator, it cost extra. A *lot* extra. Murrakah #1, fuck yeah!

by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2018 8:04 AM

In England (& France) we combined the letter O with the zero on our dials, so we never had the confusion the Americans had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2018 8:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2018 8:10 AM

I’m the easiest one in town to find. Just call Butterfield 8.

by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2018 8:11 AM

^^ Weren't our Touch Tone Phones stylish! @ R37

and one choice of colour Two Tone Grey.

by Anonymousreply 39September 4, 2018 8:12 AM

R18 "This is Ernestine, your nuisance operator, how may I help you? You say a man has been calling you with constant obscene phone calls?...What does he say? He wants to do WHAT to you? Is that F as in Frank?"

by Anonymousreply 40September 4, 2018 11:37 AM

R1 The major conversion nationwide was In mid-50s and early 60s

by Anonymousreply 41September 4, 2018 11:43 AM

I always remember a friend at high school telling me his mother was getting nuisance calls, the guy would say "Hang your panties on the line, I'm coming over!"

by Anonymousreply 42September 4, 2018 11:44 AM

When we had exchange names you'd know neighborhood where someone lived .. MUrray Hill, GRamercy, Rittenhouse, CHelsea, COney Island, BEnsonhurst. In the suburbs exchanges were town names NEw Rochelle, WHite Plains, South Orange, Nanuet. Today no one knows where 779, 868, and 994 are.

by Anonymousreply 43September 4, 2018 11:51 AM

randy ruffians

by Anonymousreply 44September 4, 2018 11:51 AM

543 here. That was supposed to be NEw Rochelle.

by Anonymousreply 45September 4, 2018 11:52 AM

R43 here again. My keyboard is playing games. I'll try again. It was supposed to be NEw Rochelle.

by Anonymousreply 46September 4, 2018 11:53 AM

The great American pencil shortage of 1953 is no laughing matter!! It was equally as serious as the Norwegian butter crisis but received a fraction of the attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 4, 2018 12:16 PM

If this video were made today, 3/4 of people would scream TEE ELL DEE ARR!!!! and then never be able to dial their phones again because they didn’t have the abilities to watch a five-minute video tutorial.

by Anonymousreply 48September 4, 2018 12:24 PM

I still have a landline. I don’t think I’ve made a call on it for 6 months at least but it’s still there.

by Anonymousreply 49September 4, 2018 12:32 PM

In the States, the letters were used to dial numbers that had the name of the switching exchange-i.e., MO4-XXXX (664-XXXX) meant the number was from the Montrose exchange. I remember my older relatives always giving out numbers with the name of the exchange, if it had one, followed by the rest of the number. "Juniper" was another one. I don't know if those names were exclusive to San Francisco or not.

Hehe..great album, R18, R19 My favorite, Martha Mitchell. MM, was right, may she rest...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 4, 2018 2:02 PM

God, I had a friend whose number was NEw Rochelle - it became 914-636

MO in MYC was MOnument.

by Anonymousreply 51September 4, 2018 2:06 PM

Enjoyed reading these posts. I sometimes forget all of the changes over the years to how we contact people. Almost all of my friends now text rather than talk on the phone. I remember when I was younger some of my calls lasted an hour or more. Now, when you actually call someone you get down to business, then hang up. Very few work phone calls since much of the communication is via email. I use my cell phone for conference calls so I at work so I can get up and go pee (on mute) if I have the urge.

by Anonymousreply 52September 4, 2018 2:35 PM

[quote]When we had exchange names you'd know neighborhood where someone lived .. MUrray Hill, GRamercy, Rittenhouse, CHelsea, COney Island, BEnsonhurst. In the suburbs exchanges were town names NEw Rochelle, WHite Plains, South Orange, Nanuet. Today no one knows where 779, 868, and 994 are.

Of course that's all irrelevant now with cell phones. While my landline still has a geographically-accurate prefix, the cell phone prefix I have is assigned to a city about 20 miles away from mine (although within the same Area Code.)

by Anonymousreply 53September 4, 2018 4:11 PM

I remember someone explaining that the reason for switching to ADD (all-digit dialing) was that they could create more prefixes, there are no two-digit combinations that can't also be expressed as the first two letters of a valid word.

by Anonymousreply 54September 4, 2018 4:12 PM

[quote]Today no one knows where 779, 868, and 994 are.

Not to mention that people take their previously localized phone numbers with them when they move.

by Anonymousreply 55September 4, 2018 4:17 PM

R55, that's also why nobody can remember phone numbers anymore... smart phones are a crutch, but one that we couldn't survive without due to number length today.

In the 1980s, most people remembered phone numbers with ~19-25 bits of Huffman-coded information:

* 2 bits: "my areacode", "the next one over", "the areacode where my parents/grandparents live", and "800"

* 5-8 bits for exchange (90-95% of memorized numbers fell into just a few, and most of the bits went to digit #3 of the exchange)

* 12-15 bits for the last 4 digits

Now, country code has become like areacode used to be (most Americans still think '1' is just what you dial to acknowledge that a call that might not be free, and have NO IDEA that it's the country code for the US & Canada), and a phone number has ~34 bits of real info that's less-amenable to mental Huffman-coding.

by Anonymousreply 56September 4, 2018 6:08 PM

[quote]I remember someone explaining that the reason for switching to ADD (all-digit dialing) was that they could create more prefixes, there are no two-digit combinations that can't also be expressed as the first two letters of a valid word.

Also - international dialing was coming in and most countries didn't have letters round their dials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2018 7:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!