Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barack Obama, rock star

What will we do without him?

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2018 6:46 PM

meh

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2018 11:46 PM

I love him.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2018 11:46 PM

I miss him daily.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2018 11:47 PM

I need to see the entire speech he gave. I was away from the tv.

Where can I find it?

I saw Megans, really powerful. If only they truly had the courage of their convictions and voted against all the god damned motherfucking repugs. Would Cindy? Would she?

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2018 11:50 PM

He is/will be recognized as one of the greatest POTUS in American history.

His first Presidential Inauguration was historic, broadcasted worldwide, crowds upon crowds of people standing in freezing weather just to be a part of this historic event with him, and for him.

This degree of support, excitement, hope for future PsOTUS will never again happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2018 11:56 PM

Just google his speech, I'm sure you can find it. You could read it at the NY Times website earlier.

Me, I'm annoyed with the Obamas, hanging out on Oprah Winfrey's yacht while the country goes down the toilet. Their above-it-all attitude is rubbing me the wrong way. However, their books are due out this fall and they'll both have to promote them heavily to earn their advances, so I'm hoping they'll be a little more vocal.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2018 11:57 PM

He's just a fine speaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2018 11:59 PM

If Beto O'Rourke can win in Texas, then we have our next Obama. I would even argue that he's more likable than Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2018 12:00 AM

Miss Mary, celebrating Obama at his Inaugural Ball . . . Awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2018 12:01 AM

Obama's eulogy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2018 12:01 AM

The first time I ever heard of Barack Obama, I said to myself, “If that man ever runs for POTUS, he will win.”

Two years later, I emailed his campaign manager a copy of my resume , and wrote, “I’m willing to quit my job and work for you guys, for free.”

And that’s what I did. One of the BEST experiences I’ve ever had. Never regretted it. I knew he would win, and I wanted to be a part of a historic event.

The best, living POTUS in my lifetime, so far. DJT isn’t even fit to wipe his shoes.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2018 12:07 AM

Great that you could quit your job to do something you believed in. I think the Obama enjoying a hatch, is great. They deserve it. They can not come out and bad mouth Trump...it would put them on his level.

I do keep remembering when he left office he said, "it's going to be alright." I hope he was right. I keep holding on to that. Even then, he knew Trump was a traitor.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2018 12:18 AM

"It's going to be all right" is what EMTs are trained to tell catastrophically injured trauma victims.

He knew what was to come, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2018 12:23 AM

[quote]I do keep remembering when he left office he said, "it's going to be alright." I hope he was right.

He wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2018 12:24 AM

I want to know why he didn’t speak at Aretha’s funeral. She did more the the nation, him and the world than John McCain ever did. He was thrown under the bus in one of the speeches for sending that tepid letter to be read during the service.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2018 12:34 AM

I wonder if DJT realizes what a horrible president he is. And does he realize that Obama was and is the cream of the crop? Or does he genuinely believe he’s a fantastic president, and the fake news are out to ruin him? How much does DJT lie to himself? No way in hell does he think of himself as an ethical man. Does he? And I’m not talking about an ethical man like Obama, who is faced with making tough choices for the good of our country, even at the cost of his popularity or re-election. Surely Trump realizes that he is a grifter. He must know, deep down inside, what a complete fraud he is. Or is he completely delusional at this point?

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2018 12:35 AM

r16, who the fuck knows....what we do know is that we are dealing with untreated, unfettered mental illness...playing out before our very eyes.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2018 12:39 AM

May be, r15 but McCain’s funeral might be more important for the country right now than Ree's.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2018 12:44 AM

He believes he is doing a great job and that the media won’t recognize it. All week long CNN has been praising McCain almost so they could dump on Trump. Today on CNN they were going on and on about all the dignitaries that were invited and that Trump wasn’t. One of the commentators said that at least Trump hadn’t done anything to distract from the service where he was promptly reminded that Trump had been tweeting.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2018 12:46 AM

McCain may not be more important but he is more useful in trying to bring Trump down. Trumps supporters won’t be fazed by it. They will still support him no matter.

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2018 12:49 AM

Obama was probably the most unqualified man ever to be elected president. Think about it. He started running for the office about a year and a half into his Senate term. He had accomplished absolutely nothing of note as a Senator, but was singled out because he gave good speech at the Convention. If he had been all white, instead of half-white, nobody would have even noticed him. I get a kick out of all the fawning coverage of McCain now. Back when he was running against the Anointed One, he was called too old, too bad-tempered, they hated him.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2018 12:53 AM

Even mental illness is not as cruel or destructive as Donald Trump. He's not mentally ill. He's a real life piece of shit and the right man for the right time for a lot of your people. You all best learn that black lives do matter because Trump is a DIRECT reaction to Obama and the raising of black voices against brutality and death that came in the last years of Obama's presidency. A very large percentage of Americans are dumb and racist. They are not all "white trash"...quite the opposite.

Obama is a better preacher than president. That's what wised up black people say. Still he makes me smile and groan and shed a lil tear sometimes when he speaks. That's what preachers do. He's a good man but was not a great president. My people had some moments of glory through him, but he helped everyone else. He still inflamed the white bigots and the college ladies who hated his superior wife.

Obama's speech was deft today. He alluded to more differences than similarities with McCain. But his grace is so soothing in this time. He comes off like a rose most always. A great preacher, good dad. Failed his own people when he was KING and didn't protect Hillary when he could. He is about to correct that in the coming years. Amen.

He's not black, he's tan. That's the only way he got elected. Michelle is black though.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2018 12:54 AM

Obama was a very good president - Top 15, for certain - but not in the Lincoln-Washington-Jefferson-FDR pantheon.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2018 12:56 AM

R21 "Anointed One".

Bringing back an oldie but a goodie for my Breitbart bingo card.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2018 12:58 AM

Obama's Presidency: worldwide economy, rescued; Bin Laden, gone; no political or personal scandals; and always an intelligent, thoughtful gentlemen, one who reestablished respect to the office of the POTUS during his term.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2018 1:03 AM

[quote]Failed his own people when he was KING and didn't protect Hillary when he could. He is about to correct that in the coming years.

I really hope he will, I still give him the benefit of a doubt, but more and more I believe he was just after his own legacy and failed to do what needed to be done. I keep remembering what Bob Woodward said of him in one speech he gave. 'Obama was great and intelligent man, but his problem was that nobody was afraid of him'. Ultimately the multiple troubles we are in is part because of Obama's grave mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2018 1:03 AM

R6 Obama worked like a sonofabitch for this country, and at the end of it all it was Americans who voted in a racist deplora-muppet who has undone everything he had worked so hard to achieve.

So now he's just taking a vacation.

He's a much better person than I. I would be actively saying "fcukyou" at this point.

As a country, we did this to ourselves. Don't expect daddy to come back and make everything all better for y'all.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2018 1:07 AM

Obama will be remembered as one of our greatest presidents. R21 won't be remembered at all.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2018 1:21 AM

"Obama is a better preacher than president. "

It's like some of you fucking idiots want to diminish was Obama accomplished. He brought the country (and beyond) back from the brink of disaster. Look at the link below. It is a "ranking of every president since Benjamin Harrison by stock market performance, in order from worst to best." He is in the top 5.

Read it. Trump has built on Obama's tremendous economic momentum, based in part by a tax cut that has sent the Deficit skyrocketing.

R21 is so fucking patronizing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2018 1:41 AM

More data

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2018 1:44 AM

When is he eligible to run again for POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2018 1:48 AM

r31, and ignorant electorate is one of the reasons we have Trump as president. How old are you r31? ...go back to school, or educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2018 1:54 AM

I enjoy Obama, I'm from S. Side Chicago, I get it. His worship in these parts of town are not unlike the Deplorables going gaga for Trump in other parts of the country. But in some ways he ways a disaster for the Democratic party. I mean we got our asses handed to us in many states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2018 1:56 AM

R22, I completely reject the idiocy of your statement. Who are you parading to be? Better preacher than president? Stereotype much?

Get the facts about the measurements by which Presidents are judged. The economic indicators show great progress. Consumer confidence went from low 30s to high 90s.

What in the hell are you talking about R22, you big POSER?

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2018 2:10 AM

Obama inherited a country in financial crises. He, better even than Reagan, restored faith in our resiliency.

College freshmen today remember no Presidents other than Bush, Obama and Trump.

Unless they do something to prove their fitness, Republicans have every reason to be worried about their future.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2018 2:23 AM

R22 is not wrong tho. Obama is as black as Martha Stewart. He was raised by Irish-y grandparents so he learned how to be suave and front from them. When people say he's not black in America, I understand that to mean that he's not from descendant from black, slaves.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2018 2:24 AM

I'm an educated black man speaking as a sentient young black man. Do you have a problem with that R34? Is my opinion about our first black president not worth your consideration. Your fiscal concerns are noted. Do you have a stronger and whiter experience of Obama? No doubt. Y'all so self congratulatory and part of the problem.

Obama restored some people's faith and lost many of his own people's respect in 8 years. We understand why he was careful, but come on, he's a preacher not a liberator. Hillary had every right to feel that he was too cautious and a weak supporter of anything but his faith in himself.

Of course he was good. In the top 20. Symbolic and steady. Not a rock star.

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2018 2:29 AM

R36, if you acknowledged what Obama pulled off to turn around the disaster he picked up from Bush, then I will listen to these characteristics you're attributing to him. They don't define his presidency. His performance does. And the facts underscore a major turnaround. Instead, R22 muddles things with perceptions about his lineage and style.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2018 2:33 AM

R37, the more you write, the less I respect what you have to say. Stop with the touchy-feely shit and deal with performance. It’s bad enough that black professionals are not immediately given the assumption of competence like their white peers are—held to a different standard. Every president has character flaws, but I think Obama tried hard to overcome obstructionists, bigots and enemies.

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2018 2:38 AM

r8 I agree, I have great respect for Obama, but Beto is in fact more likable. And I think the DUI helps him: he can say, I was in a punk band; and above all, the mughot is HOTT

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2018 2:46 AM

R38. Economies do what they do on their own. It's the invisible hand at work. Presidents are just their at the right (or wrong) time.... I didn't vote for Obama in 2000. Chicago is full of guys just like Obama, with a story just as compelling as his. Honestly, he let the S. Side down. Which is the sad part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2018 2:47 AM

Tяump and failing to prevent TRump is Obama's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2018 2:54 AM

If I remember correctly a passenger airliner got shot over ( Putin's) East Europe and Obama didn't do shit!!!... shit they should've put Jackie Brown in there. She would've cleared that mess lol

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2018 3:09 AM

R39. When I am concerned about your opinion I'll let you know R39. You are the one fixated on a narrow definition of success. Did Obama save you some ca#sh old man? He's a good man, I respect him. But he wasn't the man he said he was and he did little of what MANY of us hoped he would do. That could have been his legacy, not a balance sheet. White people pat themselves on the back if they voted for Obama and declare him a civil rights leader. He was not. Voters seldom even know what that means. I'll say it whether you enjoy it or not my dude.

Obama was ok, could have been memorable. I like his wife.

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2018 3:21 AM

Obama showed his true colors when he didn't show up for Aretha. Incredibly arrogant and thoughtless.

But that's Obama, he thinks of his legacy first. I liked him initially but he turned out to be a flawed president. History will not be kind to Obama.

by Anonymousreply 45September 2, 2018 3:26 AM

Pelosi worked her ass off to give Americans affordable health care. Obama, didn't wanna sign it. Emmanuel consulted against it. He signed it. But what else has he done for us? I mean Lyndon Johnson, that was a bad ass president. He didn't aspire to own a television studio

by Anonymousreply 46September 2, 2018 3:32 AM

Obama? A rock star?

Yeah, well, for awhile there, so was Vanilla Ice . . .

by Anonymousreply 47September 2, 2018 3:39 AM

Just a bunch of DL losers on here denigrating Obama, including blaming him for Trump.

No wonder this country is fucked.

by Anonymousreply 48September 2, 2018 3:46 AM

If ya'll don't know how Illinois politics work, you'd be in for a surprise to see what it took Obama to get to the top. So, called "President" can't get his mausoleum built on city parks lol.... My Chicago is the same city that rejected the R2D2 museum.

by Anonymousreply 49September 2, 2018 3:46 AM

[quote]What will we do without him?

I'll be dead before he is, so I guess I don't have to worry about this.

by Anonymousreply 50September 2, 2018 4:12 AM

what BS............he vastly dissappointed everybody that voted for him...twice. He was a terrible president and accomplished .almost nothing, and people were so disillusioned by him that they elected the current trainwreck. I think it speaks volumes about how far the USA has fallen in the world that we have such lousy candidates running for president now days.

by Anonymousreply 51September 2, 2018 4:14 AM

[quote] Pelosi worked her ass off to give Americans affordable health care. Obama, didn't wanna sign it. Emmanuel consulted against it. He signed it. But what else has he done for us? I mean Lyndon Johnson, that was a bad ass president. He didn't aspire to own a television studio

If you’re not aware or have a limited understanding of President Obama’s accomplishments. Just take a look at all of the policies that Trump is dismantling. Look at Sessions restructuring of the Justice Dept. President Obama achieved a great deal.

[quote] [R39]. When I am concerned about your opinion I'll let you know [R39]. You are the one fixated on a narrow definition of success. Did Obama save you some ca#sh old man? He's a good man, I respect him. But he wasn't the man he said he was and he did little of what MANY of us hoped he would do. That could have been his legacy, not a balance sheet. White people pat themselves on the back if they voted for Obama and declare him a civil rights leader. He was not. Voters seldom even know what that means. I'll say it whether you enjoy it or not my dude. Obama was ok, could have been memorable. I like his wife.

Had more than 40 percent of the voters, who elected him president, voted in the 2010 midterms. He could have and would have done more of what the lazy ass shortsighted voters wanted. If you don’t want it bad enough to go to the polls; then you don’t really want it. What voters wanted was a magic man to wave a wand, make all of their problems go away; while they sat at home on their lazy fat asses. It doesn’t work that way. For everything that liberals want. There are millions of voters who want the opposite. Conservatives have spent decades getting us to where we are now. They are focused on the future.

[quote] [R38]. Economies do what they do on their own. It's the invisible hand at work. Presidents are just their at the right (or wrong) time.... I didn't vote for Obama in 2000. Chicago is full of guys just like Obama, with a story just as compelling as his. Honestly, he let the S. Side down. Which is the sad part.

Few presidents have faced the type of economic crisis that President Obama faced. He had to make some pretty tough decisions. His stewardship guided us out of that crisis. Just as Bush’s stewardship guided us into that crisis. It wasn’t as simple as waiting for the market to do what the market does.

Chicago nor America, full of Barack Obamas. That’s not to say that there are not many Americans who are not exceptional in their own right and have have their own compelling story. There is only one Barack Obama and he is a whole other level of exceptional and compelling. Make no mistake about it.

Having said that in a country where the sky limit for mediocre white males, and on a site where gay white males worship white male mediocrity. It is no surprise that President Obama’s exceptionalism is being down played.

by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2018 4:16 AM

28 Of Barack Obama’s Greatest Achievements As President Of The United States

Here are 28 of President Obama’s biggest accomplishments as President of the United States.

1 – Rescued the country from the Great Recession, cutting the unemployment rate from 10% to 4.7% over six years

2 – Signed the Affordable Care Act which provided health insurance to over 20 million uninsured Americans

3 – Ended the war in Iraq

4 – Ordered for the capture and killing of Osama Bin Laden

5 – Passed the $787 billion America Recovery and Reinvestment Act to spur economic growth during the Great Recession

6 – Supported the LGBT community’s fight for marriage equality

7 – Commuted the sentences of nearly 1200 drug offenders to reverse “unjust and outdated prison sentences”

8 – Saved the U.S. auto industry

9 – Helped put the U.S. ontrack for energy independence by 2020

10 – Began the drawdown of troops in Afghanistan

11 – Signed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals allowing as many as 5 million people living in the U.S. illegally to avoid deportation and receive work permits

12 –Signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to re-regulate the financial sector

13 – Dropped the veteran homeless rate by 50 percent

14 – Reversed Bush-era torture policies

15 – Began the process of normalizing relations with Cuba

16 – Increased Department of Veteran Affairs funding

17 – Signed the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act

18 – Boosted fuel efficiency standards for cars

19 – Improved school nutrition with the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act

20 – Repealed the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy

21 – Signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, making it a federal crime to assault anyone based on sexual or gender identification

22 – Helped negotiate the landmark Iran Nuclear Deal

23 – He signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to combat pay discrimination against women

24 – Nominated Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, making her the first Hispanic ever to serve as a justice

25 – Supported veterans through a $78 billion tuition assistance GI bill

26 – Won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”

27 – Launched My Brother’s Keeper, a White House initiative designed to help young minorities achieve their full potential

28 – Expanded embryonic stem cell research leading to groundbreaking work in areas including spinal injury treatment and cancer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 2, 2018 4:24 AM

The masses need a strong, charismatic leader they can worship and adore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 2, 2018 4:30 AM

[quote] The masses need a strong, charismatic leader they can worship and adore.

Yes that why Americans elected the current cult leader.

by Anonymousreply 55September 2, 2018 4:33 AM

Nothing anyone can say about President Obama can diminish my respect for him.

by Anonymousreply 56September 2, 2018 4:38 AM

When Obama ran against Hillary in 08 he had nothing to lose. R53 s list of accomplishments sounds rehashed.

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2018 4:46 AM

[quote] He's just a fine speaker.

[quote] I enjoy Obama, I'm from S. Side Chicago, I get it. His worship in these parts of town are not unlike the Deplorables going gaga for Trump in other parts of the country. But in some ways he ways a disaster for the Democratic party. I mean we got our asses handed to us in many states.

[quote] R22 is not wrong tho. Obama is as black as Martha Stewart. He was raised by Irish-y grandparents so he learned how to be suave and front from them. When people say he's not black in America, I understand that to mean that he's not from descendant from black, slaves.

[quote] R38. Economies do what they do on their own. It's the invisible hand at work. Presidents are just their at the right (or wrong) time.... I didn't vote for Obama in 2000. Chicago is full of guys just like Obama, with a story just as compelling as his. Honestly, he let the S. Side down. Which is the sad part.

[quote] If I remember correctly a passenger airliner got shot over ( Putin's) East Europe and Obama didn't do shit!!!... shit they should've put Jackie Brown in there. She would've cleared that mess lol

[quote] Pelosi worked her ass off to give Americans affordable health care. Obama, didn't wanna sign it. Emmanuel consulted against it. He signed it. But what else has he done for us? I mean Lyndon Johnson, that was a bad ass president. He didn't aspire to own a television studio

[quote] If ya'll don't know how Illinois politics work, you'd be in for a surprise to see what it took Obama to get to the top. So, called "President" can't get his mausoleum built on city parks lol.... My Chicago is the same city that rejected the R2D2 museum.

[quote] When Obama ran against Hillary in 08 he had nothing to lose. R53 s list of accomplishments sounds rehashed.

Your idiotic speculation and innuendo and all around foolishness are what have been rehashed. We get it you don’t like him and you didn’t vote for him. And because he is black he should have waved a magic wand and fixed every problem that hundreds of years of white supremacy caused, including the poverty and crime in Chicago. Idiots like you support conservative policy agendas that create Chicagos. The. You turn around, point and say why didn’t that black president fix this. You’re full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2018 5:00 AM

What R58 said!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2018 5:02 AM

In 2010, 1/2 of the voters who elected President Obama looked around didn’t have time, didn’t care enough to vote in the midterm. But you know who did care and who did have time? Conservatives. They’ve spent decades working to achieve their agenda. Liberals showed up and voted in one election and expected their wildest dreams to come true. They gave Obama a yr or so to fix the economic collapse and make of their dreams come true. When that didn’t happen and their 1 vote investment didn’t immediately give them everything that they wanted. They gave up. But it’s President Obama’s fault that he couldn’t get everything that voters wanted through congress.

In 2016 forty percent of voters did not care enough to vote in the presidential election, but Trump is also Obama’s faulty.

Americans are truly some of the laziest and most stupid people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2018 6:13 AM

I thought his eulogy was terrific. I miss hearing from him.

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2018 6:17 AM

[quote]Won the Nobel Peace Prize

That was actually a big joke and totally undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2018 9:02 AM

[quote] meh

[quote] I do keep remembering when he left office he said, "it's going to be alright." I hope he was right.He wasn't.

[quote] Failed his own people when he was KING and didn't protect Hillary when he could. He is about to correct that in the coming years. I really hope he will, I still give him the benefit of a doubt, but more and more I believe he was just after his own legacy and failed to do what needed to be done. I keep remembering what Bob Woodward said of him in one speech he gave. 'Obama was great and intelligent man, but his problem was that nobody was afraid of him'. Ultimately the multiple troubles we are in is part because of Obama's grave mistakes.

[quote] Tяump and failing to prevent TRump is Obama's legacy.

[quote] Won the Nobel Peace Prize That was actually a big joke and totally undeserved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2018 10:05 AM

Fuck him and Michelle. He will be fine. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2018 10:14 AM

Again:

In 2010, 1/2 of the voters who elected President Obama looked around didn’t have time, didn’t care enough to vote in the midterm. But you know who did care and who did have time? Conservatives. They’ve spent decades working to achieve their agenda. Liberals showed up and voted in one election and expected their wildest dreams to come true. They gave Obama a yr or so to fix the economic collapse and make of their dreams come true. When that didn’t happen and their 1 vote investment didn’t immediately give them everything that they wanted. They gave up. But it’s President Obama’s fault that he couldn’t get everything that voters wanted through congress.

In 2016 forty percent of voters did not care enough to vote in the presidential election, but Trump is also Obama’s faulty.

Americans are truly some of the laziest and most stupid people in the world (e.g. R64).

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2018 10:17 AM

r 65 is correct.

Woodwards statement 'Obama was great and intelligent man, but his problem was that nobody was afraid of him'. has a lot of truth to it.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2018 10:21 AM

[quote]Won the Nobel Peace Prize

[quote]That was actually a big joke and totally undeserved.

Yasser Arafat, Obama. One joke follows on from another.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2018 10:27 AM

R39, thank you for your posts. I agree with all you have stated.

As a biracial woman, let me ask some of you here: what was he to liberate us from? Lincoln abolished slavery, and LBJ signed off on the Civil Rights Act. We have been free long before Obama became POTUS.

It appears that some of you here do not truly understand the ins and outs of running a country.

One of the things I noticed when I left my job to work for Obama’s campaign, was that almost everyone was white. Well educated whites. Where were the black folks? I will tell you. They were in their homes, watching the news, wondering if they could really trust a black man, and vote for him. And I know this, because for months on end, we all called, and canvassed neighborhoods by foot, speaking to black men and women, who couldn’t decide if this man was good enough to be our president.

It was fucking unbelievable. Someone was finally about to achieve what the black community in America thought would never happen: a black man as the POTUS, yet all I kept hearing was: well, we have to wait and see. Wait and see what?

In the end, the black community rallied around him, but it still bothers me to this day, that he was held to a different standard by the black community, not the white community.

Barack Obama was and is not a fucking preacher. He is an excellent orator, a highly educated man, who went to WORK from day ONE. He didn’t show up to liberate, he showed up to lead. No one needed to be afraid of him, and he didn’t need to present himself as someone to be afraid of in order to do his job. This wasn’t some fucking action movie, this was a man leading our country out of the WORST economic downturn anyone under the age of 70, had ever witnessed.

WTF is it that some of you here were expecting? Please lay it out, specifically, because I am puzzled as to what it was that the African American community wanted from him.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2018 11:49 AM

Things Obama did that you queens overlook because you want to fuck him: -Deported 2.5 million immigrants (a record number) -Prosecuted more whistleblowers and journalists than any other president -Signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which takes away habeas corpus for US citizens (meaning the government can now throw you in jail without charges) -Made Bush's temporary tax cuts for the richest 1% permanent -Bombed and is still bombing seven different countries (Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, Syria) -Continues extrajudicial killings, including US citizens, like Anwar Al Awlaki and his innocent 16 year old son -Pardoned people inside the government who either tortured or ordered the torture and buried the Senate's 'torture report' for the next 12 years -Failed to do anything to stop the assault of tear gas, water cannons (at sub-freezing temperatures), attack dogs and grenades from police at Native American protestors at Standing Rock -Didn't prosecute a single person on Wall Street whose fraud and illegal behavior led to the biggest economic crash since the Great Depression -Legitimized the fascist coup in Honduras in 2009 -Expanded the surveillance state -Signed a useless insurance plan that's nothing more than a bj to insurance companies. -Did nothing with the Dem majority he had for two fucking years. -Didn't do shit for gays. I don't know why people praise Obama for gay marriage. It was the Supreme Court who settled it. Obama was against it until 2012.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2018 12:04 PM

Things Obama did that you queens overlook because you want to fuck him:

-Deported 2.5 million immigrants (a record number)

-Prosecuted more whistleblowers and journalists than any other president

-Signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which takes away habeas corpus for US citizens

-Made Bush's temporary tax cuts for the richest 1% permanent

-Bombed and is still bombing seven different countries (Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, Syria)

-Continues extrajudicial killings, including US citizens, like Anwar Al Awlaki and his innocent 16 year old son

-Pardoned people inside the government who either tortured or ordered the torture and buried the Senate's 'torture report' for the next 12 years

-Did nothing to stop the assault of tear gas, water cannons (at sub-freezing temperatures), attack dogs and grenades from police at Native American protestors at Standing Rock

-Didn't prosecute a single person on Wall Street whose fraud and illegal behavior led to the biggest economic crash since the Great Depression.

-Legitimized the fascist coup in Honduras in 2009.

-Signed a useless insurance plan that was nothing more than a bj to insurance companies. And leaves close to 30 million uninsured.

-Expanded the surveillance state.

-Did nothing with the Dem majority he had for two fucking years.

-Didn't do shit for gays. I don't know why people praise Obama for gay marriage. It was the Supreme Court who settled it. Obama was against it until 2012.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2018 12:12 PM

R65 Obama had a majority for two years and for some months even a supermajority. He never put up a fight, that's what sunk the public option. He never mobilized the people who put him in the White House. He never used the bully pulpit. Lyndon Johnson could get southern Democrats to vote for the Civil rights legislation, though they knew it would cost them their seats. Obama couldn't get a public option by them. Because he never tried.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2018 12:14 PM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2018 12:16 PM

[quote]Expanded the surveillance state.

Which is something that still boggles my mind when I think about how Puty could completely undermine the democratic election process (or whatever was left of it) to install his puppet, and Obama either didn't know, didn't counter react fast enough or completely misjudged its ramifications.

Whoever is going to be the next democratic nominee, I want somebody who isn't a weak and toothless pussy.

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2018 5:53 PM

[quote]If I remember correctly a passenger airliner got shot over ( Putin's) East Europe and Obama didn't do shit!!!..

It was a Dutch Airliner, KLM. WTF should a U.S. president have done to intercede in not only one, but two and three sovereign states, you stupid, uneducated twat? Please enlighten us with your foreign diplomacy skills and tell us precisely what Obama should have done. Or what any U.S. president should have done about the raft of people killed on civilian airlines by hostile foreign forces. Just stop being a stupid cunt before you humiliate yourself any further.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2018 6:31 PM

[quote]If ya'll don't know how Illinois politics work, you'd be in for a surprise to see what it took Obama to get to the top.

You mean when he beat Dan Hynes, the Daley Machine's pick, or that perpetually drunk poker player industrialist Blair Hull in the primaries and got to face off against that mindless twat Alan Keyes? I recall Treas Pappas was in it. too. I was in Chicago for it. Please tell us more about your vast knowledge of IL/Chi-town politics. What was so beauteous is that Obama bypassed it all via the lowly Emil Jones.

by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2018 6:40 PM

In other words, Obama managed to out-con all the cons and came out, for the most part, smelling like a rose. He even left the detestable Roland Burris and the Nixon-loving Blagojevich behind in his dust. If that is not a "rock star" quality, tell me what is...

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2018 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!