Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life advice you wish you had/kept at youth?

Things you wished someone told you or advice you heard growing up that really stuck to you.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2018 6:38 AM

If you kill all the people you don't like when you're 12, you can still have a great life when you're 18 and it's nice and uncluttered.

Oh. I thought you meant advice we did take.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2018 3:14 AM

Don't obsess over things you have no control over.

You have control over your money. Save a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2018 3:16 AM

"You can't win."

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2018 3:18 AM

People are all too caught up worrying what they look like to even notice you.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2018 3:24 AM

Shut up and listen.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2018 3:27 AM

Years ago a Co worker that I didn't even like advised me to leave the job I was working at (she had just quit). I was eventually fired and it set off an unbelievably bad chain of events that I never recovered from. Let's just say ALOT of irreparable damage was done. I wish i had listened, but hindsight is 20 20 I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2018 3:32 AM

"This is the best you'll ever look."

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2018 3:33 AM

My late uncle once told me, my brother and my cousin, "If you don't stay in school and get a degree, you'll end up picking fly shit out of pepper". He was correct, but I still graduated at 16, didn't attend college, and have still had a life. But I can't help wondering what my life would have been like otherwise, since I'm sort of stupid, but have a high IQ (yes, I know). I took some college coursework, and got As in Literature and History, but barely passed Accounting. My co-workers and boss think I'm brilliant, but I have no 'emotional IQ', and I've been hurt a lot because of that. Honestly, though, I don't really regret being a patsy (that much). I want to believe in other people, and I'm getting old.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2018 3:35 AM

This too will pass

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2018 3:35 AM

You wont be young and pretty forever,so marry money before your looks fade.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2018 4:16 AM

Don't ever start smoking. I started smoking after college because I started hanging around people who did. It took many years to stop. If I had only remained a non-smoker. It probably turned off many guys who I could have been with.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2018 4:58 AM

Wipe back to front.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2018 5:11 AM

Lowered expectations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2018 5:19 AM

Don’t worry, be happy. I spent way too much time listening to advice on how to be responsible and avoid regrets and being told what to fear. I wish I had enjoyed the irresponsibility and optimism that is supposed to be part of youth rather than worrying what I would regret in the future. Of course, it did protect me from contracting AIDS before there was treatment.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2018 5:47 AM

Pay more attention to matrix math in Algebra II.

When I took Algebra II in 10th grade, matrix math was basically useless. Not even my teacher could think of anything it was compellingly-useful for (circa 1985). Fast-forward to 2016, when I ended up having to spend 2 months re-learning everything I'd long since forgotten, because matrix math is NOW a fundamental part of doing 3D graphics.

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2018 6:16 AM

Don’t become a priest.

You’ll regret it when you’re 30.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2018 6:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!