Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emmy Rossum announces she's leaving 'Shameless' after Season 9

USA TODAY

Aug. 30, 2018

Emmy Rossum says she's leaving "Shameless."

The actress, who plays Fiona Gallagher on the Showtime series, announced the news in a lengthy, emotional Facebook post Thursday.

"It’s a hard thing to put into words, feelings. But I’m going to try," she wrote. "The opportunity to play Fiona has been a gift... I know you will continue on without me, for now. There is much more Gallagher story to be told. I will always be rooting for my family. Try not to think of me as gone, just think of me as moving down the block."

Rossum's statement did not address her reason for leaving the family dramedy, set in Chicago, that stars William H. Macy as the troubled patriarch, but hinted that her TV family has given her the stability and support "to stretch and grow creatively."

"The way ( executive producer) John Wells has shepherded me as an actress, and more recently how he’s encouraged me wholeheartedly as a director and a writer, has been an honor and a privilege," she wrote.

In a statement to USA TODAY Thursday, Wells said Rossum will "forever be part of the 'Shameless' family. We are hard at work now creating a season nine finale for 'Shameless' which we hope will provide a Gallagher-worthy sendoff for Fiona that honors the great work Emmy has done."

A statement from producer Warner Bros. Television also gave Rossum an appreciative farewell and confirmed she would appear in the ninth season.

"We wish her all the best as she explores the next chapter in her career," the statement read. "But before that, we are excited for fans of 'Shameless' to see Emmy and the entire ensemble cast continue the adventures of the Gallagher family in the show’s upcoming ninth season.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2019 3:21 AM

I hate this show. esp when the asshole father kept failing to die.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2018 12:24 AM

In the original UK series Fiona was only on for two seasons and then showed up for a two part finale IIRC.

I wonder if this is part of a salary negotiation since until very recently, she was being paid less than Macy who doesn't deserve the extra money since Rossum is really the center of the show.

Or she could be getting film roles.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2018 12:28 AM

The show's been kind of shit for the past 2-3 seasons anyway. Time to wrap things up.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2018 12:29 AM

Film roles? Um, yeah, let her leave and see how many film roles she's offered.

Bill Macy is a fantastic actor and everyone knows it. He can get film work seven days a week.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2018 12:30 AM

This show is still on???

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2018 12:33 AM

And yet, he doesn't. Face it, Macy is a character actor who's gotten lucky with this show. His wife has had more commercial and critical success. At least this show has given him a steady paycheck.

Anyway, I said Rossum COULD be getting film offers. Now that she was going to get them or was guaranteed any. She's young and pretty. Even with the shorter career span actresses seem to have, she may have more chance at success and if she's pursuing directing and writing, that will definitely extend her career.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2018 12:36 AM

They should end the show with her leaving. She better get a happy ending and not one involving a man or woman. She is the show.

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2018 12:41 AM

I watch the show for Cameron Monaghan, but I agree that Emmy Rossum is the heart of the show.

Macy be an Oscar nominee, but it's Rossum that propels it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2018 12:42 AM

She's not going to get directing, writing and acting roles in film or anywhere else unless she bankrolls them herself. She is loathed by her castmates, the crew and everyone who has ever had to deal with her. It's been that way since "Phantom".

Yes, dear, Bill Macy is a brilliant character actor who is very well liked. He can get film work seven days a week anytime he wants it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2018 12:46 AM

R.U.R.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2018 12:48 AM

She is good but this show has sucked for at least the last couple of years. They should all leave.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2018 12:54 AM

R2 Getting film roles? I doubt it. She's been on the show for 8 years and has only been able to get parts in c-grade movies. She doesn't have a career outside of this show. This will probably be the last we hear of her.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2018 1:09 AM

I stopped watching when the tranny showed up.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2018 1:11 AM

She's the heart of the show and wonderful in the role. I remember all the hate she got for Phantom of the Opera and this is where she really redeemed herself and showed that she was a very emotionally honest actress. I hope she gets great film and TV roles in the future, because she has "it." Macy is brilliant as well, but his character should have died a few seasons back when it was all set up. Every time he shows up on screen these days, I groan. Kill that character off already.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2018 1:14 AM

It's better to jump than sink.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2018 1:16 AM

Love Shameless and will miss Emmy, but I could watch a show just about Lip....yum!

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2018 1:22 AM

[quote]Bill Macy is a fantastic actor and everyone knows it.

Thank you so much!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2018 1:31 AM

I never thought much of her until this show but she was fantastic in it. I think she’s made for tv and she can probably do something interesting with her husband. After nine years she’s probably just done.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2018 1:31 AM

Earning per episode?

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2018 1:33 AM

Is this an equal pay protest?

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2018 1:34 AM

Copied Jim Parsons

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2018 1:34 AM

The show should have ended about five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2018 1:36 AM

r17 Bill Macy is 96 years old. No one has to refer to the other Bill Macy as William H. Macy unless it's in the credits.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2018 1:42 AM

I honestly dont see the show going on much without her.

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2018 1:46 AM

R23

SIT!

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2018 1:49 AM

Isn't Rossum also an Oscar nominee?

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2018 1:52 AM

I wish her character would have a quick reunion fuck with Jake and his hot ass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2018 1:58 AM

Was it already renewed for season 10?

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2018 2:04 AM

Not yet

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2018 2:17 AM

Remember when Rosie O’Donnell was obsessed with this show and regularly tweeted about it? One day, the tweets stopped. Yet the show keeps being made.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2018 2:42 AM

What’s your source on this, R9?

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2018 3:13 AM

[quote] She is loathed by her castmates, the crew and everyone who has ever had to deal with her. It's been that way since "Phantom".

As if you know anything about the actors in these productions

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2018 5:10 AM

Emmy has a Netflix produced movie coming out soon. She likely wants to do more behind the scenes. She directed quite a few episodes of Shameless. The show has benefitted from being on Netflix. A whole new audience has been introduced to it and many are probably willing to pay for Showtime to see new episodes. It will easily go through season 10. It won't be the same without Fiona anchoring it though.

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2018 5:39 AM

"What’s your source on this, [R9]?"

R9's ass I think.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2018 8:06 AM

👆 Consider that co-opted.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2018 8:19 AM

acting is a dead-end street

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2018 11:16 AM

katy segal's on it.....her face stretched so tight barely recognizable.

still fug

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2018 4:33 AM

thought it was her, but damn she look weird

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2018 10:45 AM

Maybe she wants to have a baby and do a Netflix movie a year instead of a long TV season.

Emmy is an Alpha female. She married a lapsed Muslim in Central Synagogue in New York.now that’s pussy control.

by Anonymousreply 39October 26, 2018 11:00 AM

she really is starting to resemble a possum

damdest thing.

u go get em Emily, in ur earnest search for a kool career

by Anonymousreply 40October 26, 2018 3:26 PM

Shameless: Cameron Monaghan to Exit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 29, 2018 8:10 PM

Wow he got fugly.

by Anonymousreply 42October 29, 2018 8:19 PM

I stopped watching this shit show. Just a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2018 8:23 PM

The show is still halfway decent but with Emmy leaving and now Cameron, its time to end it.

by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2018 8:34 PM

I agree, R44.

I'm not surprised Cameron is leaving next.

He's been getting work on "Gotham" and other projects.

by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2018 10:18 PM

o no

I watch it for him!!!!

shit

by Anonymousreply 46October 30, 2018 5:49 AM

Same here, R46.

I'll be less likely to watch the show when Cameron leaves.

by Anonymousreply 47October 30, 2018 5:52 AM

>>>>

by Anonymousreply 48October 30, 2018 6:09 AM

So that was it, Emmy is gone. That's how she was written out?

by Anonymousreply 49October 30, 2018 9:15 AM

Is Shameless worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 50October 30, 2018 9:43 AM

Cameron's not leaving: he's already left. Episode 6 of this season was his last (which he announced a week before it aired.)

And Emmy will be finishing out the rest of Season 9, which will return in January.

by Anonymousreply 51October 30, 2018 9:50 AM

Was this season always intended to have a break? I wonder if they are going to wrap up the whole series.

by Anonymousreply 52October 30, 2018 11:38 AM

Oh great, let’s make the show more about Lip and some random storyline about him and a chick he’s fucking.

by Anonymousreply 53October 30, 2018 12:28 PM

The finale episode has been released on the Showtime app. I think she has a nice exit.

And R53, you correctly predicted where the new storyline is going. And Tami is the most obnoxious of all the forgettable girlfriend characters. This does not bode well for the future of the show. Hopefully Tami gets randomly whacked like Carl’s wife or Sheila’s daughter.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2019 5:40 AM

R53, I've never understood how an ugly-looking guy like Lip seems to be able to get all these women to sleep with him.

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2019 5:44 AM

yes, I stopped watching about 2 seasons ago. All the shows are shit on Showtime and HBO. I will be canceling soon. After GOT is over, gonna cut it.

by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2019 5:47 AM

I actually find Lip incredibly sexy, but he’s a such a sanctimonious bore ever since he got sober and I’m tired of the neverending parade of annoying girlfriends he gets super serious about.

by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2019 7:13 AM

Lip even managed to get one of his professors to fall for him a few seasons ago.

Why would a sexy, brilliant professor go for a guy like Lip when she could do so much better?

by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2019 7:26 AM

the guys are all too short.

by Anonymousreply 59March 11, 2019 6:11 PM

I haven't watched the past 3 seasons or so. It just started to bore me. I've stuck with shows well past their expiration date before (hey, Nip/Tuck), but I always wish I hadn't. Life's too short.

by Anonymousreply 60March 11, 2019 6:15 PM

It was good for a while, but like many shows, it has gone on too long.

by Anonymousreply 61March 11, 2019 8:40 PM

Without Emmy and Cameron, what's the point? More insane Macy storylines? More shenanigans with the wacky neighbors? Maybe if they'd turn Lip bi I'd be interested...

by Anonymousreply 62March 11, 2019 8:56 PM

Yeah, one of the reasons I watched was for Cameron.

It was one of the few shows that was willing to give its gay character an actual sex life & sex scenes right from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 63March 11, 2019 9:09 PM

It was nice that the gay character had a sex life, but of course they had to have him have sex with a woman, then a romance with a non-penised trans woman.

by Anonymousreply 64March 11, 2019 9:39 PM

[quote]Without Emmy and Cameron, what's the point?

Cameron is returning next season.

by Anonymousreply 65March 11, 2019 9:41 PM

So is Mickey, apparently:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2019 2:17 PM

good !!!! for me she was the weak link, hag, boring, harpy, grouchy old presence....yay

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2019 2:59 PM

im there only for the hot guys....the ginger hag girl is gross.

the guys are fun

writers give the boys good storylines. hurrah

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2019 3:01 PM

delighted, u can ssmell her tater chip underarm b.o. from here.....

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2019 6:16 AM

The whole show is gross and contrived. Every guy on it was short and fug. Emmy Rossum was always annoying and trying so hard to happen. I know they probably made a lot of money, but I can’t imagine wanting to be associated with this filthy show. And the kids on it- ugh. Their parents should be ashamed of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2019 7:13 AM

be so fun with her gone, her vibes were weird.

by Anonymousreply 71April 14, 2019 5:44 AM

Are the writers from the earlier seasons returning? That what Im waiting to hear.

by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2019 3:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!