Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I don't like any of the Christopher Guest movies.

I find the humor labored.

So many people think they're wonderful and hilarious.

and he's one of those "comedians" who is a total miserable bastard in interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 27, 2018 4:47 PM

If you don’t like them, simply don’t watch them. Problem solved. You’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2018 3:14 PM

He married a man

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2018 3:17 PM

I like some, but a little goes a long way.

And everything after A Mighty Wind sucks. It was fresh at one time, now the approach is repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2018 3:17 PM

He didn't marry a man. He married a hermaphrodite.

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2018 3:19 PM

Just curious, what do you (OP) find funny?

by Anonymousreply 5August 29, 2018 3:19 PM

A hermaphrodite who used to get high with their father.

by Anonymousreply 6August 29, 2018 3:24 PM

[quote]We hate you, OP, and we hate your ass face

oops a "we" troll.

by Anonymousreply 7August 29, 2018 3:26 PM

He pings like crazy. I couldn't believe he'd married "a woman" when I found out Curtis was his wife.

Parker Posey got real braces put on for that role even though she was just supposed to use a prosthetic. Were people who are not me familiar with Jennifer Coolidge before Best In Show?

by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2018 3:26 PM

I really, really detest people like OP who start such negative threads with such an obvious bias.

Why are you so negative, OP? What the hell is your problem? Why do you consider your opinion so fucking important?

Nobody gives a SHIT that you hate Christopher Guest films.

NOBODY.

by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2018 3:27 PM

Quit namin' nuts, R8.

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2018 3:29 PM

Pecan, pecan's a kind of nut.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2018 3:30 PM

[quote]Nobody gives a SHIT that you hate Christopher Guest films. NOBODY.

You seem to care. Look at you with your knickers in a twist.

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2018 3:33 PM

Agree to disagree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2018 3:37 PM

[quote] oops a "we" troll.

It's a quote from one of his movies, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2018 3:37 PM

Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman are brilliant. Everything else is just okay.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2018 3:37 PM

OP is entitled to his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2018 3:37 PM

Pistachio, cashew...

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2018 3:40 PM

[quote] really, really detest people like OP who start such negative threads with such an obvious bias.

Look up the word bias.

Op has an opinion, that's all and one that I happen to agree with. The amount of people who have recommended his movies to me! They don't make me laugh at all. Puerile humour.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2018 3:42 PM

Clutch those pearls hunty!

GRAB THOSE FUCKERS!

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2018 3:51 PM

I love all of his work. I'm happy to own more.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2018 3:52 PM

i interviewed him. he was polite and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2018 3:52 PM

You know what OP? I'm just gonna go home a chew on my pillow!

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2018 3:54 PM

Not liking Christopher Guest movies is a deal-breaker for me. It shows that an individual has no sense of humor, and a lack of intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2018 3:55 PM

You can talk with someone rather than watch his films OP. Or not talk. You can either talk or not talk for hours.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2018 3:56 PM

Dear R9–OP is inviting discussion. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2018 3:57 PM

WHERE IS THE FUCKING CHEW TOY!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2018 4:46 PM

Almond, macadamia

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2018 4:47 PM

Waiting for Guffman is the movie that finally nailed my view of musical theater people. Top 5 movies ever! Every musical theater production I see and all musical theater people I meet are now seen through that filter. Including my partner.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2018 4:53 PM

I remember her from She TV, r8.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2018 4:56 PM

Mr. Guest brings with him a reputation. Something bigger than OP has ever known.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2018 5:02 PM

I'm always interested to see what he makes. Love him and his wife. They're a sexy couple.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2018 5:10 PM

I've been lukewarm to all the stuff post-Mighty Wind but before that I think it's great. I have many actor friends on FB and not a week goes by that someone doesn't post "It's the day of the show, y'all!" like no one else ever thought of using that quote.

And Jennifer Coolidge was and is known as Stifler's Mom to most filmgoers.

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2018 5:23 PM

Poseys book fell far short on the Hollywood tell-all front. Apparently she had quite an interesting experience working on scream 3 with Courtney Cox. (Which resulted in a strong and weird on screen chemistry). But she didn’t go bear stuff like that in her book. She just went near a fucking pottery kiln.

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2018 5:26 PM

I LOOKED FREAKISH

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2018 5:42 PM

R33 what happened between Parker Posey and CC (who has demon eyes now)?

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2018 5:43 PM

I love or like every single film he's made. And I like that he works with the same talented group of actors. Very funny!

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2018 5:48 PM

Christopher Guest and his films are UNIQUE. How many people can you say this about anymore?

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2018 5:55 PM

He doesn't like any of your movies either, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2018 5:56 PM

I thought he was good and underutilized on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2018 5:56 PM

Do you like Larry David OP? Always preferred their comedy. What I like to call Jewish or neurotic humor. I once watched Best in Show with a good friend and laughed constantly while my friend just sat there stone faced. I guess it's not for everyone. However, as I get older, I still find this type of humor hilarious, while the current Paul Feig/SNL/Jackass type humor just makes me feel embarrassed while I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2018 6:08 PM

I also can't stand the "comic relief" in all the marvel movies to be cringeworthy so my taste may be not be mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2018 6:11 PM

I liked Best in Show but appreciated each subsequent film less and less. The humor in his films reminds me of SCTV. When it is on, it is fantastic. When it’s off, it’s slow, deliberate, and a bore.

[quote]Not liking Christopher Guest movies is a deal-breaker for me. It shows that an individual has no sense of humor, and a lack of intelligence.

Okay honey. I’ll remember that.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2018 6:19 PM

I bet Courtney Cox was pissed that Posey was stealing the entire movie from her. She's literally the best thing about that movie. Courtney was probably pissed in general when she saw that awful wig she would be wearing. What were the thinking?

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2018 6:25 PM

Courtney looks like a Christopher Guest character in Scream 3. It's a shame, especially considering how great she looked in Scream 2. That wig ages her 20-30 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2018 6:27 PM

R25 We love you and we want you to live!!!

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2018 9:05 PM

R26 ASK THAT HOTEL MANAGER ……..PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2018 9:08 PM

R27 Would you stop namin' nuts?!!!

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2018 9:11 PM

I agree that he is over rated. But he has some talent. Comedy is like Pizza: You want it to be good even when it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2018 9:12 PM

Christopher Guest may a snotty person but he is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a pathetic, desperate, annoying, attention-seeker.

He remained loyal to the people he worked with, took less money and less adulation in order to remain true to his vision. Give him some credit.

He also hated Tony Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2018 9:14 PM

Agree R39. As a comic actor I think Guest can do anything.

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2018 9:16 PM

I'm gonna do a reading from 'Raging Bull'...…….

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2018 9:17 PM

Hey there OP, how ya' doin' OP....

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2018 9:52 PM

That looks nothing like the busy bee!

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2018 10:00 PM

What do you like, OP? Do you like soup?

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2018 10:18 PM

And sleeping OP?

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2018 1:07 AM

R53 No...that's a bear... in a bee…..costume.

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2018 1:10 AM

Hundreds of years before the dawn of 'istory lived a race of people……...the Druids......no one knows they who they were...or....what they were doing...….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2018 1:15 AM

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 30, 2018 1:17 AM

I had no idea that he was married to Jamie Lee Curtis. I learn the most interesting things from DL. Thanks everybody!

by Anonymousreply 59August 30, 2018 1:20 AM

Sheesh OP, it's not like Guest came into your store and tried to steal your stamp machine.

by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2018 1:22 AM

Steve Stark, Councilman, "He can act and he can sing and he can dance. There's only one other person in the world who can do all that, and that's Barbra Streisand...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 30, 2018 1:30 AM

Christopher Guest, "Deathwish", 1974

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 30, 2018 1:38 AM

If you don't like his movies, you probably won't like "Home for Purim" either.

by Anonymousreply 63August 30, 2018 1:40 AM

R63 Okay, now that one I hated. I'm glad Guest realized when the creative well had run dry and that he had lost his touch and stopped making films.

by Anonymousreply 64August 30, 2018 1:43 AM

R60 He also hated Jamie drunk father Tony Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 65August 30, 2018 1:47 AM

OP is just another ass face.He probably didn't even appreciate the Lunts of Blaine

by Anonymousreply 66August 30, 2018 1:57 AM

I don't care for him either! I thought Waiting for Guffman wasn't funny or clever, just mean -spirited.

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2018 1:59 AM

Working in the film industry, For Your Consideration had me rolling on the floor. And Catherine O'Hara's scene when she's drunk is Oscarworthy in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2018 2:29 AM

R66 You can tell by his parents that he's no good.

by Anonymousreply 69August 30, 2018 3:19 AM

I only liked his dog show movie. I couldn't get into the others. Oh, and r26, it's a BUSY BEE.

by Anonymousreply 70August 30, 2018 3:26 AM

R68, I hollered out loud in the theater when Catherine O'Hara unveiled her new facelift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 30, 2018 3:27 AM

Thanks for reminding me to watch Mascots, OP.

by Anonymousreply 72August 30, 2018 3:31 AM

After reading this thread I watched Waiting For Guffman, which I hadn't seen, on Amazon. It was mildly amusing. I work with someone just like Corky, although he is in the IT field. Best In Show remains the masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 73August 30, 2018 3:37 AM

"Mascots" is great! I liked his first movie as director (not a mockumentary) , "The Big Picture", better than the later Hollywood satire "For Your Consideration". I think his other movies (especially if you throw in "Spinal Tap") have made me laugh more than anyone else's (barring Woody Allen's early ones up to and including "Annie Hall").

by Anonymousreply 74August 30, 2018 3:41 AM

'And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten. "

by Anonymousreply 75August 30, 2018 5:55 PM

Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump."

by Anonymousreply 76August 30, 2018 6:00 PM

A penny for your thoughts, OP.

A dime for your dreams

Would a shiny new quarter, buy a peek at your schemes?

by Anonymousreply 77August 30, 2018 6:03 PM

I HAVE a husband, mamma! And his name is Mary Pat.

by Anonymousreply 78August 30, 2018 6:07 PM

I don't normally come on Datalounge but I wanted to share a message with OP and all the other haters. I felt the most effective way to do this was through video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 30, 2018 8:06 PM

The in-character commentary track for Spinal Tap has some fantastic stuff. While discussing how they wrote "Big Bottom" in about twenty minutes, David St. Hubbins remarks "I think it was Jerome Kern who said 'if it takes you more than twenty minutes to write a song, you're just jerking off.'"

by Anonymousreply 80October 11, 2018 4:07 AM

Does anyone recall a scene in one of his movies (I swear it was For Your Consid) where Fred Willard says something like "they've run the Gamoo!" and Jane Lynch corrects him awkwardly, just simply saying "gamut."? I swear it was from that movie, or at least one of Guest's, but I can't find for the life of me any record of it anywhere. What's sad is that I thought it was one of his most brilliant jokes, but as far as I can tell, he didn't even write it.

Just to go on topic, I do love his movies. While the themes are obviously repetitive, I find the concept of showcasing super-conceited people who are super-into-themselves and obsessing over stupid activities being humiliated and made to look like jackasses incredibly funny. The only one that really didn't get a whole lot of laughs from me was Mascots. The newer cast just didn't have the same rapport with each other as in the first few. I always liked the part in a mighty wind where they're humming and Jenn Coolidge is doing her weird version of humming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2018 6:59 AM

ITA, OP.

Labored is a good way to describe them. Trying to hard to be clever but not actually succeeding.

I've watched them and frankly, none of them have stuck in my head other than Jennifer Coolidge being very funny in them.

And, Chris Guest is usually the least funny actor.

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2018 8:39 AM

What does ITA mean?

by Anonymousreply 83October 11, 2018 8:52 AM

I rewatched Waiting For Guffman a few months ago and was surprised at how little I liked it. Corky St Clair was just a ripoff of the local theater director in the Simpsons episode "Streetcar Named Marge." One or two lines are completely stolen from it.

by Anonymousreply 84October 11, 2018 9:55 AM

These go to ELEVEN.

by Anonymousreply 85October 11, 2018 10:03 AM

[quote] The amount of people who have recommended his movies to me!

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 86October 11, 2018 10:09 AM

Why hasn’t cute Christopher Moynihan had a bigger career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 11, 2018 11:31 AM

Saw Spinal Tap live and they showed this movie promo, per Harry Shearer, apparently young Jake Gyllenhaal is in here somewhere?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 11, 2018 12:06 PM

Guest is talented and the actors he hires for these films are extremely talented, the best in the business, at least as it pertains to improvisation and creating character. The improvisation produces lots of wonderful surprises, but in the end, every one of his films would have benefited from the addition of a great screenwriter. Guest does the best he can in the editing room, but by then it is too late. The improv produces great stuff from the actors, but each of the films wanders a bit, mostly from the lack of better scripting.

by Anonymousreply 89October 11, 2018 12:24 PM

Best In Show is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 90October 11, 2018 12:39 PM

Christopher Haden-Guest, 5th Baron Haden-Guest of Saling. (Incidentally, his younger brother, Nicholas, was the cute young bridge officer in STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN, who says, "Shields collapsing, Captain!")

by Anonymousreply 91October 11, 2018 2:09 PM

Damn. Brother Nicholas is handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 11, 2018 3:25 PM

r83 "I totally agree."

by Anonymousreply 93October 11, 2018 4:41 PM

I like that he uses Catherine O'Hara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 11, 2018 5:15 PM

Spinal Tap is a classic, as is Waiting for Guffman. I quite liked Best in Show and For Your Consideration. The only one that left me cold was A Mighty Wind: It wasn't offensive, just dull.

I didn't know Mascots existed. There's one for the Netflix queue.

by Anonymousreply 95October 11, 2018 6:54 PM

Nicholas Guest plays Julia Louis Dreyfus' character's husband in Christmas Vacation, R92.

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2018 1:40 AM

Not that Christopher Guest is the most problematic celebrity out there and he probably is not the worst human being on Earth but here is my take on him anyway.

He is someone who comes from a very, very privileged background and who had all the training and all of the opportunities in order to make it as an actor and yet he has never really made it. If Christopher Guest did not strike up a friendship with Rob Reiner we would not be familiar with the name Christopher Guest.

It was Reiner who gave Guest the part in 'The Princess Bride' and it was Reiner - not Guest - who directed 'This Is Spinal Tap', Guest's biggest hit. (I would also be willing to wager that it Guest's good pal Billy Crystal who got him the job on SNL, they were looking for "established" comedians at the time and Guest hadn't done much before he was cast on that show.)

After that Guest's "faux documentaries" became less and less funny, I thought he hit bottom with 'For Your Consideration' but I guess 'Mascots' is even less funny.

So here is a guy who had a moneyed and well-connected background (his father was a big-wig at the U.N. and his mother was a big-wig at CBS), who had all the contacts, famous friends and all the breaks in the world who still couldn't pull it off.

There is a mean-spiritedness to his documentaries. These are coming from a guy who didn't "make it" and yet he wants to sneer at bumbling, low-level heavy metal bands, small-town theater groups, people who work as team mascots as if to say, "Where do these people get off thinking they have talent?" Well, where do you get off Christopher? (Guest's resentment of those who have had success in the music industry is also pretty obvious.)

'Waiting For Guffman' was one long gay joke. And, yes, even way back in the 1990s people understood that kind of stereotyping wasn't cool. I have to wonder if Eugene Levy, who is very supportive of his openly-gay, adult son, would think twice about co-writing and appearing in 'Guffman' if Guest presented the idea to him today.

Guest just comes across as weirdly entitled, weirdly uptight and touchy and snobby.

Guest's attraction to Jamie Lee Curtis has never made any sense. Curtis recently admitted in interviews that the two "have nothing in common" and that they "don't even go to bed at the same time". Perhaps there is something to those sham-marriage rumors? It comes across that way. (How could he not notice Curtis' ten-year long opiate problem?)

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2018 10:29 PM

R97 I can't imagine we would have had Curb Your Enthusiasm without Guest's influence.

by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2018 10:32 PM

I think the difference between Spinal Tap and Guest's films really is the contempt. Waiting for Guffman and the rest are all about feeling superior to these poor misguided idiots.

If flatters the audience, who get to feel that they are intelligent and "in on the joke." But it really appeals to an unsophisticated audience trying to feel sophisticated.

The exception is "For Your Consideration." It is watchable. But not very funny.

by Anonymousreply 99November 17, 2018 10:52 PM

I don’t find his movies mean spirited, but they’re dull and kind of smug at worst. I got the same feeling watching Pineapple Express, which I heard was largely improvised. Just because you are a comedian doesn’t mean that everything that comes out of your mouth is comedy gold.

by Anonymousreply 100November 17, 2018 10:59 PM

You can tell what sort of people he appeals to from the spastic posts of his fans here on this thread. This thread really attracted people with the sense of humor of a twelve year old who only knew how to stand up for Guest by being hostile to or insulting the OP.

see R9 for example.

by Anonymousreply 101November 17, 2018 11:09 PM

But he is LORD Haden-Guest, 5th Baron. Jami Lee is a LADY!

by Anonymousreply 102November 17, 2018 11:41 PM

Well, this has been informative.

Here, all along, I thought he was just a white guy making fun of white people.

by Anonymousreply 103November 17, 2018 11:53 PM

I love the early ones, I agree that they lose their steam post-Best In Show, but I wonder if someone can explain the 'laboured' criticism? Compared to most other comedies, I find them decidedly UN-laboured. Perhaps due to the format. They're just plainly-captured people and framed in such a way that we naturally observe their (odd) behaviour. Unlike most comedies i'd call 'laboured', no jokes feel overly written or forced out. Probably because they are NOT written. There are very few OTT visual gags, barely any scenes when the actors are actively trying to 'one up' each other or do something extra gross or controversial (unlike recent improv'd comedies, from Seth Rogen etc.).. With the occasional exception Eugene Levy and his bits that go too far into 'zany' territory...... but I put that more on him than Guest. What did you find laboured?

I'll add that Jennifer Coolidge is one of the most inherently funny actors ever. She just has it. There's a ridiculous Hilary Duff retelling of Cinderella, she plays the wicked stepmother and I honestly think her performance in it is worthy of an Oscar. Even in the schlocky material.

And in case anyone hasn't seen it (it was understandably cut from the film due to length), this unedited Parker Posey scene from Guffman is pure genius. He has just let her go freely for 5 minutes and the result is hysterical (and completely realistic). There must be a lot of great b-roll footage from his movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 18, 2018 12:23 AM

Well if you are "Curb" fan I guess you can thank Christopher Guest. However, Guest did not come up with the fake-documentary style thing, he just made it his trademark thereby popularizing this form of comedy a little bit more.

by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2018 12:54 AM

You know what's weird R102? If Christopher Guest never struck up a friendship with Rob Reiner then what would have become of Jamie Lee Curtis? She only noticed Guest after he made This is Spinal Tap.

Hmmm. I see a possibility of one or two broken marriages and Curtis possibly dying of a drugs mixed with alcohol type things years ago.

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2018 12:56 AM

things should be thing

by Anonymousreply 107November 18, 2018 12:57 AM

R99 A critic described Steve Carrell as "coming from a place of compassion" in the way that he played Michael Scott in the American version of The Office. And I think that was accurate, Carrell did have affection for his character.

While most critics fawn over Guest a couple have pointed out that he really doesn't like his subjects. I have to agree with that assessment.

by Anonymousreply 108November 18, 2018 1:14 AM

Also, Guest is always playing gay characters. SNL, a short film he did with Billy Crystal, the short-lived Martin Short show to Waiting For Guffman. He does this all the time. Why?

I'm not saying gay characters can't be funny, maybe if Guest treated his gay characters with some respect maybe that would be different.

Guffman just made fun of "Corky" and that local guy who had a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 109November 18, 2018 1:18 AM

R104 Guest does seem to like Parker Posey quite a bit. What is it with Christopher and silly straight girls?

by Anonymousreply 110November 18, 2018 1:22 AM

"It's not important for couples to orgasm."

Whatcha tryin' to tell us Jamie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 18, 2018 2:12 AM

Wow. This reporter did not like Guest at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 18, 2018 2:13 AM

Here's the thing - Guest has a great talent...for coming up with interesting subjects and casting brilliant actors. Honestly, casting is a talent a lot of directors don't have. Some can easily be swayed by other's opinions or because an actor is fuckable. Guest knows that, without a brilliant cast, his films would be unwatchable.

I think that's a great talent to have. As for his writing and directing skills, I can't really say, because I don't think I've seen a film he's made where he hasn't used that improv/documentary gimmick. Can we really compliment the writing or directing if he really didn't write or direct it?

I'll agree that he's usually the least funny actor in his casts. Maybe he usually picks the less showy roles kinda like how Jane Fonda suffers in 9 to 5, not because her performance is bad, but because Judy isn't terribly funny except in a few scenes.

by Anonymousreply 113November 18, 2018 2:31 AM

Wow, Sheehy just ethered Guest.

by Anonymousreply 114November 18, 2018 2:39 AM

(well, not "just" since that article is 33 years old....but yeah, she nuked his ass.)

by Anonymousreply 115November 18, 2018 2:49 AM

OP finds Guest's humor labored and Guest to be a bad interviewee.

How interesting. And so intelligent.

Zzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 116November 18, 2018 3:04 AM

LOL! R113 So Christopher Guest will always, in your eyes, be Judy from '9 to 5'?

by Anonymousreply 117November 18, 2018 5:23 AM

Whaddaya mean Zzzzz R116? You don't want to know why Jamie Lee Curtis doesn't think orgasms are important??

by Anonymousreply 118November 18, 2018 5:25 AM

Yes, in all fairness to Christopher Guest that interview is more than 30 years old and obviously he and Curtis' marriage has withstood the test of time and both of their careers are fine and obviously Guest is not the root of Curtis' problems (and Curtis has since seriously backtracked on her tales of woe concerning her childhood).

Sheehy seemed to really have it in for Guest, I guess he can really come across as unlikeable. I don't know, it sounded like Sheehy had her eye on Curtis and resented that Curtis "ran off" with someone else. Some serious anti-male, it must be the husband's fault hostility going on there.

Curtis was dumb for trusting a reporter the way she did.

However, I wonder if Guest's acting career suffered because actors found him difficult to engage with or maybe directors has a hard time getting good emotional reactions from him.

by Anonymousreply 119November 18, 2018 5:33 AM

I've never seen any of his films. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 120November 18, 2018 6:06 AM

Thank you for your insights anyway R120.

by Anonymousreply 121November 18, 2018 3:19 PM

Bump!!!

by Anonymousreply 122November 19, 2018 1:32 AM

Bump!!!

by Anonymousreply 123November 19, 2018 1:33 AM

Well Christopher doesn't like any of you either!

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2018 12:16 AM

Christ, I love Best In Show.

by Anonymousreply 125November 21, 2018 12:27 AM

I will always love this deleted scene from Guffman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 21, 2018 12:58 AM

Anyone who doesn't like Best in Show, or Waiting for Guffman, is not invited to my house. In fact, if I saw you in the grocery store, I would intentionally hit your rear end with my cart and play like it was an accident.

by Anonymousreply 127November 21, 2018 1:30 AM

Guests humor is satire not laurel and hardy. Feel free not to roll in the aisles.

by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]Anyone who doesn't like Best in Show, or Waiting for Guffman, is not invited to my house. In fact, if I saw you in the grocery store, I would intentionally hit your rear end with my cart and play like it was an accident.

gee, his fans are TERRIFIC.

AND oh, SO funny!

Just like his movies!

by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2018 2:19 AM

Life is a game of expectations, OP. If you saw them without having heard of them first, you would have laughed and laughed.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2018 2:36 AM

Liked Waiitng for Guffman, LOVED Best in Show and For Your Consideration. Found Mighty Wind very dull, and couldn’t get through Mascots.

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2018 3:10 AM

"This Bulging River" should have been included in the movie. (Fred Willard is sexy when he stops being a goofball and acts all seductive.)

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2018 4:52 AM

"Best in Show" was very good, I loved that Eugene Levy's character finally "won" and I loved Harlan Pepper.

Jane Lynch was brilliant in "A Mighty Wind". A former "adult" actress who is now in a folk band and who specializes in recovered memories and who worships a deity that you won't find in a book or a magazine or an encyclopedia and who can feel the energy off of colors and who is proud to be Mrs. Bohner.

The role of a lifetime!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2018 4:57 AM

"Witches in Nature's Colors"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2018 5:00 AM

I'm not a fan of Guest, but his small role in Mrs. Henderson Presents is worth a watch, albeit with his poor attempt at an upper-class Brit accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2018 5:23 AM

R135 He is a real life English baron so probably just not the upper class Hollywood you expect.

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2018 6:23 AM

Thanks for the link R135. I think Guest's accent sounds great. If there is anything Guest can do, it's a very convincing British accent.

by Anonymousreply 137November 21, 2018 7:20 AM

Good point R136.

by Anonymousreply 138November 21, 2018 7:21 AM

[quote]He is a real life English baron

He is an actor who has spent much of his life in the US. That affects his speech pattern, pronunciation and inflection. In the R135 clip, he sounds like an American attempting posh Brit. His delivery, inflection and vowels are off.

by Anonymousreply 139November 21, 2018 7:31 AM

R139 If you say so Your Lordship.

by Anonymousreply 140November 21, 2018 7:47 AM

Another good Jane Lynch line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 21, 2018 8:09 AM

Waiting for Guffman isn't just a big long gay joke, it's taking several jokes from The Simpsons "Streetcar Named Marge" episode and making them cruder and nastier than they were on The Simpsons. Basically, there are times when you're watching the movie where you feel like Guest watched The Simpsons and decided it wasn't homophobic enough.

There's also a weird trans joke in Mighty Wind, where it does that old-fashion thing of equating gay with trans like they did back in the 1970s, and that seemed really odd and anachronistic, and awfully hostile for no reason.

There was also some nasty stereotyping and weird anger toward gays and lesbians in Best of Show too, now that I think about it.

by Anonymousreply 142November 21, 2018 8:17 AM

R119, his acting, at least in the early days, wasn't that good. I remember seeing several SNL skits where he just was either uncomfortable or unable to play convincingly. In The Princess Bride, when he has a great line about how if you don't have your health you don't have anything, he's about to crack up. It just really comes across as unprofessional.

That said, I haven't seen him in anything recently, so he may very well have improved.

by Anonymousreply 143November 21, 2018 8:23 AM

R142 Gayness was a theme is his movies and I guess it is up to everyone individually to decide how they feel about it. My feeling is that Guest spent a lot of time doing plays and working in the theater and that he has met many, many "Corkys" so maybe these characters just come naturally to him. I wonder if Guest could change the film now if he would've been a little kinder to Corky and not made Corky's mannerisms the punchline (and maybe Corky and the local guy who had a crush on him should've been portrayed as eventually getting together. Not laughed at).

by Anonymousreply 144November 21, 2018 3:51 PM

R143 Agree. Guest obviously had the desire to be an actor but he just doesn't have it in him, or he is limited as an actor. I've seen the way he comes across in interviews and I think he has a tough opening up emotionally and opening up emotionally is something actors need to be able to do.

I think he is only truly comfortable playing Nigel Tufnel (which is great because I love Nigel).

But I will give Guest credit for creating a cool niche for himself.

by Anonymousreply 145November 21, 2018 3:54 PM

R141 The way they deliver their lines! Jane Lynch is so talented. "It worked for my family. Until my mom committed suicide in 1981." Dark humor handled beautifully. (That joke makes a legitimate point too.)

by Anonymousreply 146November 21, 2018 3:57 PM

There does seem to be an anger about R142.

My gut tells me that he and Curtis may in fact have a sham-marriage. Whatever works for the two of them.

by Anonymousreply 147November 21, 2018 3:59 PM

R144, my main beef with that storyline about the hunk he had a crush on is that they made Corky a predator, trying to trick the straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 148November 21, 2018 4:48 PM

R148 Yeah, he depicted a terrible gay-stereotype there. The good looking young kid was confused and suspicious and Corky was sneakily pursuing him. The film isn't all bad but as I said, I wonder what Guest would change if he were given the chance to re-edit that movie today.

by Anonymousreply 149November 21, 2018 9:10 PM

Now this is very, very sweet.

"The Unbelievable Story of Jamie Lee Curtis' Mysterious Marriage to Christopher Guest"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 23, 2018 1:36 AM

I don't remember the SNL season with Guest, Crystal and Short as being "infamous". I think that season put the show back on the map.

by Anonymousreply 151November 23, 2018 1:46 AM

For Your Consideration is hilarious. It’s my favorite of his movies. Every scene of Home for Purim makes me cry from laughing. “Is that my sweet Rachel's voice I heard? Or am I just goin' meshuga?”

by Anonymousreply 152November 23, 2018 2:18 AM

R139, Lord Haden Guest, as he is officially titled, is the son of a baron/British diplomat. He partly grew up in England, is multi-dialectal, and as a member of the peerage/upper class, is more than well versed in RP English.

by Anonymousreply 153November 23, 2018 2:35 AM

R153 I thought his accent was spot-on in Mrs. Henderson Presents.

by Anonymousreply 154November 23, 2018 2:43 AM

That was a good story on his marriage to Jamie Lee Curtis.

Guess he was in total shock that he did not realize that she had a drug and alcohol problem for 10 years. She admits that she hid it very, very well.

by Anonymousreply 155November 23, 2018 2:54 AM

After reading the E! Online article I have this to say about the Sheehy article; Sheehy did not mention that Guest had to put up with men leering at Curtis and commenting on her body and maybe that's what put him in a bad mood.

Not sure what Sheehy had against Guest be he does not seem like a bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 156November 24, 2018 12:46 AM

I tried to watch For Your Consideration last night and it really does have to be one of his lesser films. I chuckled a few times, but that was about it.

by Anonymousreply 157November 24, 2018 3:22 AM

"I really, really detest people like OP who start such negative threads with such an obvious bias.

Why are you so negative, OP? What the hell is your problem? Why do you consider your opinion so fucking important?

Nobody gives a SHIT that you hate Christopher Guest films.

NOBODY."

I give a shit. Who fucking care if he started the thread? Jesus, again with the thread police. People tell OP if he doesn't like the films, he can just skip them. Well, if you don't like the thread, just skip it. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 158November 24, 2018 3:33 AM

Only think happy thoughts around r9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159November 24, 2018 4:04 AM

R157 I agree. 'For Your Consideration' was pretty bad, I think I stopped watching about half-way through.

I believe this was Guest's response to the song Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara performed in 'A Mighty Wind', which was written by Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole, not winning the Oscar. I think Guest was very angry about that.

Wish he came up with a funnier film as a response though.

by Anonymousreply 160November 24, 2018 4:55 AM

Catherine O'Hara and Jennifer Coolidge are both very funny in For Your Consideration and about the only reasons to watch it. Even Parker Posey isn't given too much to do. Let's face it - the film industry is full of stuff to satirize, but it just never worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 161November 24, 2018 10:10 PM

"For Your Consideration" Unscripted, Catherine O'Hara, Jennifer Coolidge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 25, 2018 1:17 AM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 163November 27, 2018 4:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!