Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laurie Anderson Appreciation Thread

Been listening to her a lot lately.

Love the atmosphere of Poison (and Bright Red generally). She produced it with Brian Eno.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 10:54 PM

Freefall is also amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2018 2:11 PM

She is very boring when she talks about dreaming of her dog through a vocoder. "I was dreeeeeaming about my pooooooodle...."

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2018 2:14 PM

OP, you have enough failed music threads. There's no need to start anymore so please stop. And the same for your food threads.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2018 2:22 PM

r2 = Sylvia Morales

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2018 2:32 PM

I like to listen to Laurie Anderson bootlegs while preparing a humble chicken salad. First I take a free range chicken and roast it in a Le Creuset casserole with organic root vegetables. After cooling, I shred the chicken into one of my grandmother's pyrex bowls. I add Duke's Mayonnaise, a splash of vinegar and some sugar in the raw -- just a few grains. A chopped shallot, some celery, and capers. Then I use an artisanal Dakota bread from Price Chopper/Market 32 in Burlington VT as a base, which I've fried in some of the rendered chicken fat from the roasting. Oh yes -- sliced tomato if they aren't rather pulpeuse.

Simply DIVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2018 2:40 PM

She was a great beard.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2018 2:44 PM

I always thought they were mutual beards, r6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2018 3:23 PM

Good point.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2018 3:26 PM

Lou and second wife/beard Sylvia Morales.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2018 3:29 PM

Lou Reed and real wife, sister Ray/Rachel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2018 5:16 PM

Rachel wasn't bad looking, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2018 5:19 PM

Was Lou a top or a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2018 5:30 PM

A bore either way.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2018 5:31 PM

Any stinky pussy issues?

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2018 5:33 PM

I just read that John Cale said Lou's death felt like a very public suicide.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2018 5:39 PM

Back to the topic at hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2018 9:53 PM

I like Laurie Anderson but I cannot express appreciation for anyone who willingly spent time with Lou Reed.

by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2018 4:13 AM

True love, r17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2018 10:29 AM

R9's picture is of Patti Smith, not Sylvia Morales.

by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2018 12:14 PM

I used to work with a woman who could do a great Laurie Anderson voice, so even a routine request to add paper to the printer could be hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2018 12:18 PM

I’ve loved her since the 80s and have seen her shows many times. She’s a great writer and brings a quirky sensibility to her songs and monologues.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2018 12:44 PM

She dated a friend of mine before Lou. A guy, FWIW. She was very nice the couple times I met her. .

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2018 1:13 PM

I just watched Home of the Brave for the first time, been meaning to for years. I sorta know quite a bit of her stuff, but The Ugly One with the Jewels, and United States are the only albums I've listened to all the way through. The stuff I'm aware of from Mister Heartbreak isn't my favourite of hers, and this show centred on that album, but even so, I enjoyed most of it, bar the Japanese section around half an hour in. That went on and on and on and I wasn't that interested.

But the show itself was a really interesting use of the band, allowing them to run all over the stage and do things and interact, rather than just stand there, playing their instruments. I enjoy that so much of her sound is quite sinister. I just wish I was smarter and knew exactly what she was going on about. I get it, sorta (language, communication, technology), but I feel I miss out on a lot of it too. Perhaps some of it is very specific towards the time it was set in? After much searching, I know that the whole ¿Que es mas macho? section of "Smoke Rings" is very of it's time (and even now that I know what that refers to, I still don't quite see why it's funny). But anyway, all up, I enjoyed this and am glad to have seen it now. My standouts are "Smoke Rings", "Difficult Listening Hour"/"Language is a Virus and I like that little scene on the phone with Joy Askew.

I also really appreciate the use of technology in this show, and love how the limitations of what you could do back then made people really inventive. A show like this done today could be done with the press of a button, but it would lose all the soul. You can feel the difference when people have to manipulate technology in real time.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2020 5:57 AM

She sells herself as some avant-gard artist but she did look rather sad and maternal when they came to my city in 2010. She fussed around like nurse over her dying husband who was dribbling and gaga.

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2020 6:19 AM

Are the stories she tells in The Ugly One with the Jewels true? Because if so, she has lived a very interesting life. I can't imagine just heading for the north pole because the idea simply occurred to me one day and so I began hitchhiking.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 10:40 PM

I have that CD R25...when I ran across this thread I immediately remembered that title, I always thought it was a funny title.

by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 10:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!