Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BELOVED MOVIES YOU CAN'T STAND

Which widely lauded movies can't you stand?

E.g., I find that (typically straight) guys go on and on about the genius of "The Big Lebowski" but when I watch it, it just seems unfocused and overwrought, and "the Dude" doesn't really have any particular wisdom, contrary to the movie's worshippers. I find it almost interminable and rather depressing. But that's just me.

So which widely adored movies do you find essentially unbearable? WHY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 24, 2019 1:26 AM

Once Upon a Time in America wins this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2018 2:19 PM

Just watched Once Upon A Time In America the other day. A hard nope; long, boring, strange, with one too many very cringe inducing scenes.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2018 2:23 PM

Perhaps sacrilege for DL, but I can't stand "The Sound of Music". For me, there's just something about the colors that makes me ill: everything is so washed-out and ... it's just so old-fashioned. The acting is often actually pretty stilted and robotic. I just recoil when I even see a screengrab from it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2018 2:25 PM

The Exorcist is one of those classics that, to me, only has a few good scenes. It's hard to really focus on the life and spiritual struggles of a priest when there's a girl shoving her crucifix up her twat. The film is 75% Karras and 25% interesting material. And the Iraq prelude is just a chore to get through.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2018 2:25 PM

Heresy OP. As a gay man who hates the capitalist system, The Big Lebowski represents the true American dream and is one of my favorite movies. I love the idea of someone just refusing to play the capitalist game and just riding the tide of life surrounded by wealth and power obsessed neurotics.

My vote would be one of the many painfully boring “classic” 30s-50s movies so beloved by DLers

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2018 2:27 PM

I hate The Princess Bride and A Fish Called Wanda. I thought both were incredibly obnoxious and relentlessly unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2018 2:34 PM

I have to agree with r5 in that many of the golden age dramas are badly acted, stiffly written potboilers.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2018 2:37 PM

Fucking Fargo. I didn't see it until recently, and when it was over I looked over at my friend and was like, "for real? That's what all the fuss is about?"

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2018 2:42 PM

r4, totally agree.

My sacrilege choice is "It's A Wonderful Life." Can not stand it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2018 2:43 PM

"My Dinner With Andre" was beloved by middlebrow critics like Siskel and Ebert, who wouldn't shut up about it. I thought it was the most boring piece of pretentious crap ever committed to celluloid.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2018 2:43 PM

Need I say more? . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2018 2:45 PM

Star Wars. I despise science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2018 2:47 PM

"The Big Lebowski" was a total dud for me too. I was expecting so much after hearing people rave about it. My neighbors do a movie night n their backyard every 2 weeks each summer. The night they did "The Big Lebowski" we started with at least 30 people, but by the time it was over there were only 4 of us left. I had to force myself to stay put all the way through the end of it. I just don't get what is so great about it. Jeff Bridges seems to be doing a third-rate Tommy Chong impersonation. The whole thing seemed like the filmmakers were trying to produce a John Waters-style lowlife comedy, but without any of the charm or humor of Waters' films.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2018 2:52 PM

Didn't we do this last week? I know I typed both Star Bores and Star Drek in a similar thread.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2018 2:52 PM

I really dislike anything kind of from before 1990 or so. Just can't stand the fuzzy and/or pale coloring of older movies. It reminds me of how things are dimmer and grayer when one has a months-long depressive episode. I also grow anxious from bad audio, because I suddenly irrationally fear I'm losing my hearing when I hear it.

I really like contemporary movies dealing with history, including old movies, however, like "Saving Mr. Banks", in part because they're really polished and impose a narrative and contemporary perspective on things I can't otherwise bear to engage with without getting bored ("Mary Poppins").

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2018 2:56 PM

I found Moonlight completely boring and unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2018 2:56 PM

Footloose. I hate that damn movie and soundtrack with a passion. I would rather be tried down and watch that stupid Breakin movie then Footfuckingloose. my rant is over.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2018 2:58 PM

I'll get flamed for it but The Wizard of Oz. It didn't charm me even as a child.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2018 2:59 PM

Yes, put me in for The Big Lewbowski. I saw it when it first came out and it was so underwhelming, I can't remember one scene from the movie except the one in the bathroom.

I hate Fargo as well, R8. I'm amazed at how many people laud it as a masterful black comedy. No, it's not one at all. Black comedy is making jokes about uncomfortable subject matter (like death), but it's not mean-spirited. Fargo was mean-spirited as hell and put the G in gratuitous violence.

Another movie I loathe is Se7en. It was a style over substance film riding off of Silence of the Lambs' coattails. Brad Pitt was terrible in it ("Oh God....Oh, God...") It was so ineptly directed, it was very easy to predict exactly what was going to happen to one character, and what the twist would be in the last scene.

Three more movies I absolutely hate: American Beauty, Forrest Gump and Requiem for a Dream. Every time I think about Requiem, I just want to spit nails. I forgot which IMDB reviewers said it, but they nailed it: that movie was an over-glorified ABC School Special/ modern day version of Reefer Madness.

American Beauty was a shitty attempt at a Jack Lemmon movie. (I'm not kidding. Not only is Spacey doing a Lemmon impression the entire time, the movie lifts plot points and scenes from several Lemmon movies, especially Save the Tiger.) It had sitcom-level writing and art direction straight out of a Kids from the Hall short movie.

Forrest Gump was a film for up-and-coming Deplorables, a bullshit fable in which the "bad kids" from the 1960s (hippies, antiwar protesters, people who questioned their government) all died of AIDs or burnt out by the 1980s and the "good kids" (kids who did as they were told and listened to authority) lived a charmed existence.

I don't hate Psycho, but I don't respect this movie anymore because of its negative influence on film.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2018 3:00 PM

Every Spielberg movie except The Color Purple. That was adequate.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2018 3:03 PM

I also despise Fargo and I'm still pissed that Frances McDormand beat Emily Watson for the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2018 3:05 PM

Isn't the Dude supposed to be a stoner moron?

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2018 3:05 PM

Blade Runner

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2018 3:05 PM

What's Up, Doc?

Clueless

Meet Me in St. Louis

All those Mijazaki animes

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2018 3:06 PM

R22, he's worshipped by straight men the world over. I don't get it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2018 3:06 PM

I can't stand Clueless or either of those Brady Bunch movies.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2018 3:08 PM

Any beloved movie with Miss Thing here, made post WWII.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2018 3:09 PM

Mean Girls, it's not terrible but it's not as funny or clever as so many people make it out to be. On that note, I have always found it funny that this is the movie that everyone points to as evidence of Lindsay lohans tremendous acting talent. Almost any teenage b list actress could have played that role.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2018 3:12 PM

[quote]My sacrilege choice is "It's A Wonderful Life." Can not stand it.

Express your hatred of that movie with pride. Don't apologize. I also loathe this movie, and so did people for decades. (It was a box office bomb and dismissed as "Capra corn.") It was only after a huge campaign in the 90s after Stewart died that it was pushed as a "classic film."

This is one of the worst movies of all time, with a classic deus ex machina cop out resolution, and a phony baloney happy ending. (Uh, screenwriters, just because the townspeople raised enough money to cover the lost money doesn't mean that Potter couldn't have nailed him on embezzlement charges!)

Plus, it pushes the toxic message that if you sacrifice your own dreams to help others achieve those same dreams, you have lived a "wonderful life." In other words, if you give up your dreams of being a ballet dancer so that your sister could become one, you have a wonderful life. If you gave up your dreams of being a famous NYC architect so that your brother could become a famous NYC architect, you have a wonderful life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2018 3:14 PM

Boyhood sucked almost beyond belief. Bland suburban middle American brats and their families don't interest me. I got so annoyed with the critical reverence for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2018 3:16 PM

It’s A Wonderful Life really is terrible. Wanted to strangle that little blonde child.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2018 3:17 PM

We really have done this recently. I just read r29's screed (with which I happen to agree, btw) last week.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2018 3:22 PM

"Once." Horrible and boring. I can't believe they made it into a musical, which actually won the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2018 3:35 PM

R28 I love the first hour or so of "Mean Girls" but it runs off the rails fast after the jungle madness scene. Agree that anyone could have played Lohan's role, but I do feel that Rachel McAdams is underrated in it. Fucking brilliant comedic performance.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2018 3:40 PM

That bloated, endless conceit, "The Big Chill"

All that tippy-toe reverence towards Baby Boomer "values"-all these years later and I've seen nothing I hated as much as that waste of time and talent. Older relatives insist that my being at the younger end of the BB generation is why I don't "get it", well, anyone of a certain age can recognize bad movie-making, and TBC is nothing more than a gooey melodrama with the Viet Nam war years as a backdrop.

How anyone could be nostalgic for that period just astonishes me. Privileged college students with deferments, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2018 4:05 PM

Swingers w Vince Vaughan.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2018 4:07 PM

All of the Star Wars movies

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2018 4:08 PM

I am a baby boomer, r35, and I didn't like The Big Chill. I was even a "privileged college student with a deferment" (and later, a draft number in the 300s). But I still didn't like that movie. Didn't like the actors, either.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2018 4:08 PM

[italic]Breakfast at Tiffany's[/italic] - I usually like Audrey Hepburn, but I detest this movie.

Go head, burn me as a heretic.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2018 5:10 PM

R39 I agree. I found her character to be very shallow.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2018 5:32 PM

Steel Magnolias. Might as well be trans women it's so overwrought and fake.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2018 5:32 PM

R40 that was kind of the point, no?

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2018 5:46 PM

Lord of the Rings (any of them), My Big Fat Greek Wedding

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2018 5:54 PM

R39, you are absolutely right. Blake Edwards is a hack. How is he famous for directing comedies when he has no comedic timing? The party scene alone! It drags on forever and you are supposed to find it funny, but it's so plodding it's embarrassing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2018 5:55 PM

All the Star Wars movies Anything with Katherine Hepburn except Summertime Grease Priscilla

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2018 5:57 PM

Agree on Big Lebowski. It must be a straight guy thing. I'd also put The Matrix and Fight Club in that category. I didn't like any of those.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2018 6:01 PM

I've never seen Summertime Grease Priscilla

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2018 6:02 PM

"The Silence of the Lambs" left me with a nauseated, disturbed feeling, and I tried to clear my head of it quickly by watching comedy and musical films. A real bummer. And to think the Academy decided that it was the best picture Hollywood could come up with... doesn't speak well for Hollywood or the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2018 6:23 PM

Old School

The Hangover series

Just garbage.

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2018 6:33 PM

Exploitative, “message movies” about the Holocaust:

Life Is Beautiful - cringy, maudlin tripe. I can hardly wait until Jerry Lewis’s much superiorly awful “The Day the Clown Cried” finally gets released.

Schindler’s List - bombastic, ham-fisted Spielberg dreck, but John Williams’ overwrought, constant music score - punctuating Every Single Character’s Emotion - contributed to me hating this film.

by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2018 6:47 PM

Summertime

Grease

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Did it work this time?

by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2018 6:50 PM

ANYTHING by Tarentino...Im not sure is they are "beloved" but his movies are loved and I think they all suck a moose cock

by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2018 6:56 PM

Every hit film starring Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2018 7:00 PM

"Raging Bull" -- a total bore beloved by basic straight bros for God knows what reason.

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2018 7:05 PM

Anything or almost anything post1969 after the old Hollywood system collapsed. Everything starting with the American new wave movies turned to shit. Movies hit their zenith with 2001 and pretty much almost everything after that was a joke.

Occasionally something good would come along like What's up Doc or Dog Day Afternoon(both pretty old fashioned)or in foreign films like Almodovar, Babette's Feast or Breaker Morant or independent like early John Waters but everything else is agony. I should add Stardust Memories is one of my favorites but part of that has to be going on vacation to Asbury Park and Ocean Grove as a boy.

Steven Spielberg(who's obsessed with movies from the old Hollywood system and didn't learn a goddamn thing from them) and George Lucas have been cultural tragedies.

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2018 7:09 PM

ALL of the Harry Potter movies.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2018 7:10 PM

Titanic, because if its laughably bad script. Victor Garber was the best thing in that shlockfest.

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2018 7:22 PM

Black Swan. The appalling Natalie Portman hyperventilating and overacting her way through it all. Barbara Hershey was the only good thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2018 7:29 PM

FORREST GUMP. Tom Hanks’ performance was atrocious, Foghorn Leghorn crossed with Pete Puma. He got an Oscar for this.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2018 7:41 PM

R58- What about Natalie Portman in that movie JACKIE. Every line she uttered was so breathy and GRATING!

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2018 7:59 PM

Psycho had a negative impact on filmmaking? News to me. Yes, it spawned a few slasher films that weren't as good (how could they be?), but I'd hardly say it has a negative impact on filmmaking. It took horror movies from cheesy gothic castles and fairy tales and into the modern world.

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2018 8:01 PM

Jackie was the most boring film I've ever seen. I was hardly expecting explosions and car chases but at least something.

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2018 8:01 PM

I feel like Natalie Portman's Jackie voice could also be a Marilyn Monroe voice, it's that breathie.

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2018 8:11 PM

All the ones loved by straight men: Big Lebowski, Caddyshack, Idiocracy, Anchorman, Dumb and Dumber, Scarface and Serpico, Braveheart, Road House

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2018 8:28 PM

I agree with all of R64's list, except for "Serpico"—that one is a great movie IMO.

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2018 8:32 PM

Four Weddings and a Funeral

I'd add more but I don't know how to make them list so it would come out as Mamma Mia Priscilla Braveheart

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2018 8:38 PM

Citizen Kane, my god what a bore

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2018 8:48 PM

Princess Bride

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2018 8:49 PM

The Devil Wears Prada. People love it and I've seen it multiple times, but it always seems like a Lifetime Movie.

If I'm gonna watch Meryl I'll choose Plenty.

I loved Meryl as my favorite NEW star in the 80's (I was a Dunaway, Rowlands, Clayburgh fan) and with French Lieutenant Woman, Silkwood, Plenty (didn't care for Out of Africa), Heartburn (LOVE that one, everyone else hated it) then hit a wall with Ironweed. Didn't like the movie at all and I thought it would be fantastic. Dunaway should have been nominated for Barfly, but that Kirkland must have spent Awards season on her back cuz she got Faye's nomination for Anna (which I do really like) . Admired A Cry in the Dark but wasn't much fun to rewatch, then the nineties hit and I moved on.

Now it seems she is first choice for everything, and through no fault of her own when I see her advertised as being in something I find myself involuntarily rolling my eyes.

Strange how things turned out. I remember when Depp was the most respected young actor out there (I agreed - check out Johnny and Faye in Arizona Dream), and now he's a joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2018 8:55 PM

R29 is incorrect about "It's a Wonderful Life." It became popular in the 1970s, after the copyright had lapsed and while Jimmy Stewart was still very much alive. The film fell into the public domain, meaning no one owns it. Local television stations, always on the lookout for cheap programming, took advantage of this. The movie was shown on television frequently, and that's how it was discovered by a whole new generation.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2018 9:12 PM

r64 I think you've mischaracterized "Idiocracy."

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2018 10:09 PM

[quote]The party scene alone! It drags on forever and you are supposed to find it funny, but it's so plodding it's embarrassing to watch.

It's so funny that you say that because I can't stand Breakfast at Tiffany's either (and agree with you that Blake Edwards is hack), but that scene is the only part of the movie I find enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2018 10:39 PM

Citizen Kane

Gone With The Wind

One The Waterfront

Stars Wars

It Follows

La La Land

Chariots of Fire

The Terminator

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2018 10:49 PM

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2018 11:26 PM

Another vote for Moonlight. I wanted to smack both of them the whole time

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2018 12:06 AM

Independence Day

Remember how people just decided to adore this utter piece of shit when it came out?

by Anonymousreply 76August 24, 2018 12:20 AM

I've watched 7 or 8 Kubrick films. The only one I haven't loved is Dr. Strangelove. I get the movie, it just doesn't make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2018 12:39 AM

La La Land.

by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2018 12:52 AM

Its a Wonderful Life

From Here to Eternity

Citizen Kane

The Godfather (and all sequels)

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2018 12:53 AM

"Mary Poppins".

The "Godfather" films.

"Pulp Fiction".

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

Every goddamn Best Picture winner of the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2018 12:55 AM

Beloved

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2018 12:56 AM

God, I hated It's A Wonderful Life. I'd never seen it and a friend showed it one Christmas. He should have killed himself and it would have been a 3 minute movie.

by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2018 12:56 AM

It's a Wonderful Life is a solid film filled with broad populism yet surreal touches. Its true and preposterous. It has convincing nightmarish sequences and treacly homey scenes. Its a movie that has everything including a floozy with a heart of gold. I distrust someone who hates this movie.

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2018 12:58 AM

r80, THE GODFATHER? THE GODFATHER? THE GODDAM GODFATHER!!!!

BLASPHEMY. AWAY WITH YOUR GAY CARD NOW. THE FIRST 2 GODFATHERS ARE ONE OF THE GREATEST IF NOT THE GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME.

by Anonymousreply 84August 24, 2018 12:59 AM

bRIDESMAIDS & MOST FEMALE DRIVEN COMEDIES!

by Anonymousreply 85August 24, 2018 1:03 AM

Yes, R84, I don't like the "Godfather" films. Yes, I recognize that they're brilliantly made, but the fact is that I loathe all the characters and don't want to spend time with them.

And fuck your calls for my Gay Card, this is another damn film that's beloved by straight men because it appeals to some of their worse power fantasies. There's nothing gay about the "Godfather" movies, nothing of gay sensibility, you're the one whose cardholder status needs to be reviewed!

by Anonymousreply 86August 24, 2018 1:04 AM

I am right there with you R18.

by Anonymousreply 87August 24, 2018 1:06 AM

Oh, shut up, r86.

by Anonymousreply 88August 24, 2018 1:06 AM

"Moonlight" is as dull as dishwater. Still can't figure out how it won Best Picture.

"National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" is another one of those "classics" that I simply do not get. The others are stupid but have some laughs. This one I just can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2018 1:08 AM

r86 you need you gay card revoke for not being a real man. Are you cisgendered or not? You must be a bottom.

Just kidding. Your right, to each its own. It just such an incredible, epic well made film with universal themes to any culture.

by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2018 1:09 AM

Pulp Fiction

Also, I'm on same page as r12: Star Wars. I also despise science fiction.

And r30 re: Boyhood. Me too. I told a friend that that movie felt like I had lived all 18 years of that boys life.

by Anonymousreply 91August 24, 2018 1:11 AM

Steel Magnolia is pretty lame r41 (it's my sister's favorite movie, which, yeah, that's about right), but the play it's based on is even worse.

by Anonymousreply 92August 24, 2018 1:22 AM

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation R89? WTF

by Anonymousreply 93August 24, 2018 2:11 AM

"All the ones loved by straight men: Big Lebowski, Caddyshack, Idiocracy, Anchorman, Dumb and Dumber, Scarface and Serpico, Braveheart, Road House"

Road House is camp for straight men - kind of like the straight guy's Mommie Dearest

by Anonymousreply 94August 24, 2018 3:02 AM

Shawshank Redemption.. People always say they watch this whenever it's on tv - which is a lot. Never cared for it.

by Anonymousreply 95August 24, 2018 3:10 AM

Wayne's World

Screw SNL movie. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2018 6:15 AM

All those old Disney movies - live action and animated. Anything before The Little Mermaid.

by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2018 6:17 AM

Steel Magnolias was one of those movies that looked awful just from the ads.

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2018 4:39 PM

I love Amy Adams but Arrival was pretentious and dull

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2018 4:40 PM

"Last Tango In Paris"

Given how much of Marlon Brando's sordid life has been revealed, I can't watch this and see a great performance by Brando.

The bastard played himself. It's hard not to imagine that the controversial "butter" scene he improvised on the terrified actress was probably something he had actually done to one of his wives or children.

Besides that, Maria Schneider's character and her boyfriend were too self centered to be likable.

IMO, it's not the adult artistic triumph it was hailed to be back then.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2018 5:03 PM

I agree with the two posters who named "Star Wars" but not because I hate science fiction. The hate the SW franchise because it destroyed science fiction in movies.

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2018 5:09 PM

Arrival made my blood boil. The main character was a piece of shit for getting pregnant,knowing the child would die at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2018 5:10 PM

Raising Arizona

I've seen this praised all over the place so I finally watched it a few months back. I thought it was unlikely to be good (because Nic Cage). I was right it was predictably below average. Think it might qualify as another straight guy idea of brilliant movie.

by Anonymousreply 103August 24, 2018 5:27 PM

ANY film with that exhausting piece of crap Francis McDormand...SO TEDIOUS....COULD YOU COMB YOUR HAIR PLEASE AND PERHAPS A SWIPE OF LIPSTICK?? We get it “YOU DONT PLAY BY THE RULES!” Eat shit bitch

by Anonymousreply 104August 24, 2018 5:30 PM

They were still capable of making good films up until the early 1980s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 24, 2018 5:36 PM

John Goodman is a one-trick pony who is NEVER convincing as an actor. He's just reading lines and acting bemused about it all.

by Anonymousreply 106August 24, 2018 5:39 PM

Always with Holly Hunter, Richard Dreyfuss and Audrey Hepburn. Total dreck.

by Anonymousreply 107August 24, 2018 5:41 PM

Titanic

Forrest Gump

Pulp Fiction

The Batman franchise

by Anonymousreply 108August 24, 2018 5:46 PM

La La Land and Arrival were both shit

by Anonymousreply 109August 24, 2018 6:52 PM

Some have odd criteria for "beloved movies".

by Anonymousreply 110August 24, 2018 7:11 PM

'Gone with the Wind' - Scarlett is a whiny, self-centered bitch.

by Anonymousreply 111August 24, 2018 7:14 PM

And Leigh plays that brilliantly and entertainingly.

by Anonymousreply 112August 24, 2018 7:16 PM

[R110] Some have odd criteria for "beloved movies".

—Anonymous

Some of us are odd people!

by Anonymousreply 113August 24, 2018 7:17 PM

Fight Club. Fucking hate that. And I’m a David Fincher fan.

by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2018 7:18 PM

Dark Knight. Its fkin depressing.

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2018 9:14 PM

r100, You do realize she was informed and agreed to the scene before hand. The skank could have declined but no she wanted fame and notoriety.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2018 9:19 PM

[R100], You do realize she was informed and agreed to the scene before hand. The skank could have declined but no she wanted fame and notoriety.

—Anonymous reply 116

I've never heard she agreed. I've provided a link to an interview where the director is quoted as saying he and Brando didn't get her consent. Schneider has also given interviews saying she didn't know what was about to happen when Brando broke script and told her to get the butter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2018 9:28 PM

John Goodman is a HUGE loser and when the “bears” go wild about him (or kevin smith) I CRINGE! sorry fatsos, neither one is gonna line up and spray a stream of hot diarrhea down your throats whilst you masserbate! SORRRRRYYYY!!

by Anonymousreply 118August 24, 2018 11:04 PM

[quote] Jackie was the most boring film I've ever seen. I was hardly expecting explosions and car chases but at least something.

In what world is Jackie considered a "beloved" movie?

Stick to the criteria, please.

by Anonymousreply 119August 24, 2018 11:13 PM

"Sideways". Could not put the disc in the microwave quickly enough.

by Anonymousreply 120August 24, 2018 11:57 PM

The Sound of Music and Breakfast at Tiffany's

by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2018 12:33 AM

Anything dye-rected by Christopher Nolan, most overrated dye-rector in the history of cinema.

Anything directed by Martin Scorsese although I love his film preservation efforts. His movies are mindnumbingly heterocentrist.

Most Francis Coppola films (except the Godfathers) for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 122August 27, 2018 6:29 PM

"The Godfather" films are in no way gay canon films. Well, maybe "Godfather 3" if you watch it only to deride Sofia Coppola's acting performance.

by Anonymousreply 123August 27, 2018 7:26 PM

[quote]"The Godfather" films are in no way gay canon films.

Did someone intimate that they were?

If so, why?

by Anonymousreply 124August 27, 2018 7:41 PM

Beasts Of The Southern Wild the kid with the awful name was obnoxious. I also loathe Pretty Woman.

by Anonymousreply 125August 27, 2018 7:45 PM

Apologies to Katherine Hepburn, whom I adored, but "On Golden Pond". bores me beyond comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2018 7:45 PM

I'll get flamed for this but i can't stand Gone With the Wind. Just awful

by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2018 8:41 PM

Ugh, totally agree, R127. Could never understand why GWTW is considered one of the "greats". Only thing about it that I liked was that it inspired that hysterically funny Carol Burnett skit.

by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2018 9:09 PM

Mean Girls Gone With the Wind

by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2018 9:15 PM

Bernie Madoff

by Anonymousreply 130August 27, 2018 9:25 PM

Love Actually.

Hate actually.

A lot of Brits adore the movie and I cannot fathom why.

by Anonymousreply 131August 27, 2018 9:41 PM

E.T.

by Anonymousreply 132August 27, 2018 10:07 PM

Did anyone say Jerry McGuire yet? Can’t understand what anyone sees in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 133August 27, 2018 10:14 PM

Forrest Gump is a colossal piece of shit and Tom Hank's performance is embarrassing. I wanted to smash that box of chocolates right in his face.

If you don't like The Godfather I & II then you shouldn't be commenting here.

by Anonymousreply 134August 27, 2018 11:43 PM

'rushmore'.

by Anonymousreply 135August 27, 2018 11:52 PM

anything by Wes Anderson. Makes my flesh crawl

by Anonymousreply 136August 27, 2018 11:55 PM

but i fucking loved the grand budapest hotel! what an achievement! beautifully filmed,amazing costumes and very funny.

by Anonymousreply 137August 27, 2018 11:59 PM

[quote] (It was a box office bomb and dismissed as "Capra corn.")

That's true.

[quote] It was only after a huge campaign in the 90s after Stewart died that it was pushed as a "classic film."

But that's 100% wrong.

It became pushed as a classic film [italic]much[/italic] before that--it certainly was already considered a beloved film classic when I was a kid in the 70s, and was re-made then as the TV movie "It Happened One Christmas" starring Marlo Thomas and Cloris Leachman.

I've never liked "It's a Wonderful Life" either, but it was hailed as an American classic LONG before the 1990s or the death of Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 138August 28, 2018 12:00 AM

[quote] And fuck your calls for my Gay Card, this is another damn film that's beloved by straight men because it appeals to some of their worse power fantasies. There's nothing gay about the "Godfather" movies, nothing of gay sensibility, you're the one whose cardholder status needs to be reviewed!

Quick, fetch Blanche here her smelling salts!

by Anonymousreply 139August 28, 2018 12:01 AM

The Way We Were

by Anonymousreply 140August 28, 2018 12:02 AM

LA LA Land, except for the opening number on the 101.

by Anonymousreply 141August 28, 2018 12:04 AM

r140,

yup, casablanca too.

the maltese falcon is in my top ten of all time favorites

by Anonymousreply 142August 28, 2018 12:04 AM

[quote]Forrest Gump is a colossal piece of shit and Tom Hank's performance is embarrassing.

Marry me, please!!!!! I truly despise the movie's maudlin glorification of stupidity, ignorance and happenstance. It's really just a really bad remake of Zelig without any intelligence, irony or wit. Perhaps more controversially, I fucking hate Pulp Fiction! I keep on trying to like it (and finish watching it), but the damned thing puts me to sleep every time I try to watch it. Part of it may be my (not so) irrational hatred of Travolta, but I still find the movie a meandering, gratuitously violent mess.

by Anonymousreply 143August 28, 2018 12:19 AM

^ Another nod for PULP FICTION. When I finally saw it, I said, "Huh??? [bold]That's[/bold] what everbody's been going on about?" Terribly overrated. Mean-spirited and gratuitous just because that's Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 144August 28, 2018 12:39 AM

Tarantino. made films as an excuse to use the n word

by Anonymousreply 145August 28, 2018 12:42 AM

Another vote for E.T., The Extra Testicle

by Anonymousreply 146August 28, 2018 12:46 AM

Pretty fuckin Woman

by Anonymousreply 147August 28, 2018 12:47 AM

et made me cry

close encounters, classic film first rate.

by Anonymousreply 148August 28, 2018 12:49 AM

Titanic, I've always thought it's utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 149August 28, 2018 12:53 AM

Another movie straight men LOVE: The Shawshank Redemption! Ugh. Why do straight men love this long, boring movie? Is it because Tim Robbins is sexually attacked? I really don't get what they see in this film.

by Anonymousreply 150August 28, 2018 1:02 AM

Forrest Gump. How I wish I had never seen it.

Tom Hanks was awful. I remember someone going on about how realistic Gary Sinese's missing legs were. Who cares.

Now I'm angry just thinking about what a mediocrity Hanks is. Goddammit.

by Anonymousreply 151August 28, 2018 1:03 AM

Tarantino hates women. All women, everywhere. Ceaselessly, furiously, passionately. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Also, his films are shit.

by Anonymousreply 152August 28, 2018 1:13 AM

R143 I appreciate your hatred of Forrest Gump but our marriage would never work because I am a Tarantino fan. But agreed Pulp Fiction is by far not his best film. I suggest you try Jackie Brown or Reservoir Dogs.

by Anonymousreply 153August 28, 2018 1:15 AM

Hatred of Travolta is never irrational.

by Anonymousreply 154August 28, 2018 1:16 AM

Another vote for Titanic - dreadful script and looked like two children playing really expensive dress up in a high school play. Huge fan of Winlet but she was terrible in this movie. Maybe her only awful performance. Forrest Gump was a lame POS, urtterly eye rolling, and a performance falling somewhere between mocking and kabuki theatre. And I found Mean Girls completely unfunny and lacking any true wit and thoughtfulness. I don't find that Tiny Fey person with her side eye grin and old people humor funny in any way. Mean Girls and that tacky Kimmy Schmidt mess are shining examples of how unsophisticated her comedy is. Despite the obnoxious and nails on a chalkboard grating the lead is on that show once I saw Fey's Marcia Clark send up consisting of winks and sexual signaling to the Christopher Darden lawyer I turned it off and never watched another minute of it even in clips.

by Anonymousreply 155August 28, 2018 1:42 AM

r124, because we gay men are fkin alphas who appreciate the rugged beauty of other men. Real men do alpha shit and love the godfather.

by Anonymousreply 156August 28, 2018 1:47 AM

Dirty.

Fucking.

Dancing.

My sister used to watch it daily along with the wizard of oz.

by Anonymousreply 157August 28, 2018 1:53 AM

Remember this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 28, 2018 1:55 AM

I can't STAND those god-awful Marvel superhero films that are churned out at least 4 times a year now. Maybe I don't "get" them because I've never been into comics and superheros, in general, but what the FUCK? Why are there SO MANY of them? (I know, because they make money, duh.) Is NOBODY ELSE sick of this shit?

by Anonymousreply 159August 28, 2018 1:59 AM

Grease.

by Anonymousreply 160August 28, 2018 3:21 AM

The Revenant

Mad Max Fury Road

by Anonymousreply 161August 28, 2018 3:23 AM

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE because it's so phony and contrived.

CRASH, also because it's rigged and contrived. It won an Oscar due to Gay Panic.

by Anonymousreply 162August 28, 2018 3:30 AM

Mamma Mia!

by Anonymousreply 163August 28, 2018 3:35 AM

Julie and Julia #puke

by Anonymousreply 164August 28, 2018 3:36 AM

No, a rooster is a male chicken.

by Anonymousreply 165August 28, 2018 3:38 AM

So many of my friends are huge fans of eighties Spielberg, so this is the only place where I can admit this: I loathe “E.T. the Extraerrestrial.” That puppet is hideous and idiotic, the kids are cloying, and the only great thing about the movie is the John Williams score (and even admitting that seems so pedestrian).

Nearly everything about “Raiders of the Lost Ark” still works nearly forty years later, the Spielberg-produced “Back to the Future” is nearly as good, and I can find many good things about Spielberg’s other blockbusters from that era, even those I don’t love. But not the creepy alien movie.

by Anonymousreply 166August 28, 2018 3:48 AM

I didn’t read all replies yet but did anyone mention ANY Wes Anderson film? Especially Royal Tennenbaums. Maybe the worst I’ve ever seen and there are still some people that think he is a god and his movies are masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 167August 28, 2018 4:34 AM

Agree R157 - hate Royal Tenenbaums and it’s treated like some masterpiece. How do these directors get away with it? Emperor has no clothes was the most realistic fairy tale I was told as a child.

by Anonymousreply 168August 28, 2018 4:50 AM

Forest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 169August 28, 2018 4:55 AM

The Grand Budapest Hotel is even worse than Royal Tennenbaums

by Anonymousreply 170August 28, 2018 5:01 AM

Birdman

by Anonymousreply 171August 28, 2018 5:02 AM

Animal House is an unfunny mess, and I've always found John Belushi an unfunny loudmouth. Gandhi is well acted, well directed, and visually stunning, but about three hours too long. Independence Day is embarrassing schlock for several reasons but mainly because Will Smith is his usual over-the-top annoying self, and Bill Pullman as POTUS is cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 172August 28, 2018 5:08 AM

I have never liked any of Spielberg's films except for Jaws. He's such a manipulative piece of crap and 95% of his movies are the most transparent pieces of Oscar bait I've ever seen.

As for people bashing Tarantino, you guys are out of your mind. You're all forgetting that before that movie came out, Hollywood movies had become completely dominated by a small circle of "older" directors and producers (especially first generation Boomers) who kept churning out conventional movies that catered mostly to forty somethings and families. I remember this period well; it was mostly rom coms, Bruckheimer bullshit, Ahnuld movies, Grisham and Crichton, and at the time, a lot of movie adaptations of 1960s TV sitcoms (Brady Bunch, The Fugitive, The Flintstones, Addams Family, etc.)

There was nothing wrong with these movies necessarily; it's just that it seemed as if GenX was being shut out as a demographic and younger directors with a different sensibility kept from breaking out in Hollywood. Pulp Fiction was the film that finally opened the door for guys like Robert Rodriguez, Guy Ritchie, Christoper Nolan and other "young guns" to make mainstream movies, and showed the studios that there was a market for the college age and twenty something crowd. If it hadn't been for that film, stuff like The Matrix, Se7en, Snatch, The Usual Suspect and Fight Club would've never been greenlit.

And Pulp Fiction was incredibly influential. It invented the hip, edgy crime comedy, and you can see its influences in everything from Mulholland Drive to Fargo. The soundtrack was groundbreaking. It was the first time a movie didn't just use a traditional score, hire a Top 40 singer or recycle a "golden oldies" from the 1960s. It was basically some guy's mix tape filled with mostly obscure songs. That movie is why later films dared to have the Dust Brothers do soundtracks or have some obscure song from the Pixies in The Fight Club.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that it was the best movie ever made (or even pf the decade), just that Pulp Fiction had such a dramatic impact on film that it can't be written off. It was a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 173August 28, 2018 5:14 AM

Agree with The Big Lebowski. Once was at a party and went off about how stupid of a movie it was and was only liked by morons. I knew most there liked it and just disagreed. People got visibly shaken and angry and some wanted to fight me. I ended up leaving and telling them all that their frontal cortex were not fully developed and that's why they were obsessed with such puerile, infantile garbage.

Lord of the rings and Harry Potter series. Just don't get the appeal.

All those batman movies and transformers. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 174August 28, 2018 5:23 AM

R173 is one of those loud-talking rambling drunks at parties who think the more he blathers on about Tarantino, he can force you to appreciate his over-styled pretentious gorefests.

No. And get me another drink, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 175August 28, 2018 7:21 AM

In solidarity with R159. I hate the crass commercialism of it all.

by Anonymousreply 176August 28, 2018 8:14 AM

[quote]If you don't like The Godfather I & II then you shouldn't be commenting here.

Agreed. Two of the best movies of all time.

[quote][R124], because we gay men are fkin alphas who appreciate the rugged beauty of other men. Real men do alpha shit and love the godfather.

As I said, I love both Godfathers. I've seen II 14 times. But they're not "gay canon" films. (And btw, if you're so "alpha," spell "fucking" out. "Fkin" is for fucking pussies.)

by Anonymousreply 177August 28, 2018 8:24 AM

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (!) It's just so quasi "serious" and supposedly profound.

by Anonymousreply 178August 28, 2018 8:42 AM

Godfather movies and alpha what gay canon what? EAT your Alpha-Bits, and turn off that goddamn TV!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 28, 2018 8:59 AM

r18 I was coming on to say The Wizard of Oz too. I thought maybe as an adult I would find it more entertaining but no.

by Anonymousreply 180August 28, 2018 9:06 AM

r180 SHOW YOUR FACE, DEMON!

by Anonymousreply 181August 28, 2018 11:13 AM

My cinematic tastes rarely chime with the general public and film critics, so I often find anything hyped up a crushing disappointment.

I really hate Dr Strangelove which I thought would blow me away. All the elements are there but I found it agony to get to the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 182August 28, 2018 11:29 AM

[quote][R173] is one of those loud-talking rambling drunks at parties who think the more he blathers on about Tarantino, he can force you to appreciate his over-styled pretentious gorefests.

FF'ed and blocked.

by Anonymousreply 183August 28, 2018 1:48 PM

The Lion King

I read a couple of reviews and thought, "how sweet, Disney is doing a remake of Kimba The White Lion, my favoritests evah animation, I hope they do it justice".

A couple of days later I realised those bastards at Disney had totally ripped off the father of Manga, Osamu Tezuka...without so much as a simple aknowledgement. So, fuck Disney and their plagiarising ways.

by Anonymousreply 184August 28, 2018 3:00 PM

Not sure why so many think Spaceballs is a great comedy... the jokes are stale, pacing is awkward. Mel Brooks should have stuck with the Old Hollywood parodies. The “hippy” portrayals in The Producers is another example of what happens when an old Borscht Belt comic tries to be hip - and that was 20 years before Spaceballs. He must have been born an old Jew.

by Anonymousreply 185August 28, 2018 6:39 PM

[quote]Not sure why so many think Spaceballs is a great comedy...

As a life-long Brooks fan I would have to agree. If I ranked his films it would likely come in last - despite some amusing moments. It has none of the hilarious desperation and jaw-dropping bad taste of The Producers, the sheer how the fuck did this film get released audacity of Blazing Saddles, or the finely honed but often guffaw inducing satire of Young Frankenstein or High Anxiety - or even the winking silliness (and Cary Elwes at his most fuckable) of Men in Tights. I'd even rank the sloppy and uneven History of the World above it. It's an Ishtar level meandering mess - but it provides frequent belly laughs amis the messiness, while Spaceballs only manages giggles and titters for anyone who isn't a Sci-Fi nerd. .

by Anonymousreply 186August 29, 2018 1:06 AM

r172, yo I remember seeing ID for the first time as an adult. And thinking this guy is playing the president like a SNL skit. Its something very amateurish about it.

by Anonymousreply 187August 29, 2018 10:13 AM

This is the first time I'm hearing that Spaceballs is considered a great comedy. Maybe people look on it with fondness because it had Rick Moranis, John Candy and Joan Rivers but I don't remember the movie being regarded as a classic.

by Anonymousreply 188August 29, 2018 12:54 PM

R183 = triggered asshat who masturbates to gore porn.

by Anonymousreply 189August 30, 2018 6:08 AM

Any film by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarrito, Tarantino, Asghar Farhadi

by Anonymousreply 190August 30, 2018 6:26 AM

Forest Gump.

And ANYTHING by Tarantino. Cannot stand his work.

by Anonymousreply 191August 30, 2018 6:32 AM

I'd like to add, Boys Don't Cry. The entire time I watched it, all I could think was, "What did this idiot think was gonna happen when the guys found out she was a girl?" I know I'm supposed to like it, but I felt zero pity for her.

by Anonymousreply 192August 30, 2018 6:37 AM

most of Ridley Scott films

by Anonymousreply 193August 30, 2018 6:40 AM

Crash was like an adult version of an after school special about racism. Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 194August 30, 2018 6:46 AM

I have to say "The Sound of Music" too. I just cringe with that opening--zooming closer and closer to the singing nun/little boy/shy temptress Julie Andrews and damn it! She sings! "16 Going on 17" is so gay even I as a little kid knew there was zero chance for those two. The moment where the guests sing "Goodbye" like they are a professional choir! Worst of all is when Julie Andrews bursts into song while kissing Gaylord er Georg.

Can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 195August 30, 2018 7:12 AM

Fellini's 8 1/2. Another straight male fantasy about an older man being pawed by hot babes. Despite some beautiful shots it was so dull to me. But I love some of the movies he made after this.

by Anonymousreply 196August 30, 2018 7:20 AM

Another vote for Gone With The Wind.

I’ve never seen Star Wars because it’s so fucking popular, and I’ve never liked science fiction. But if I had seen it, I would include it here.

The Big Lebowski is a fantastic comedy. Yeah, it’s zany and ... wait, what is it that you gays don’t like about it? You don’t “get it”? I’m a former straight guy turned bisexual turned gay, so I don’t have any problem with it. Not sure what the issue even is. It’s hilarious—the script, the acting (okay, not John Goodman, and I agree with the DLer upthread who said he just reads lines and acts bemused). The soundtrack is great. Jeff Bridges’ character is so zen, but not in a boring way. Whenever I watch that movie, it changes my perception of life, and I walk around very calm and accepting of all situations and people. I haven’t seen it in a few years, though, and I notice I’ve been awfully anxious and depressed, and it keeps getting worse. I should watch it again.

I will say I can understand if people notice the cult of Lebowski, don’t understand it and feel annoyed by it, and then finally see the movie and don’t think the worshipping of it is justified. But I can’t fathom not liking the movie at all. Maybe you have to be a stoner, too? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve never been able to get into The Godfather, and I think the public’s worship of it has a lot to do with shallowness and obsession with money. I’m more a Dog Day Afternoon kind of guy.

And the DLer who said that movies started to suck in general after 2001: A Space Odyssey must be 100 years-old. Movies improved *tremendously* in general once actors learned to act, were allowed to swear and get naked, scripts got more interesting and gritty, and directors took on more out-there projects. Yes, movies have mostly sucked this century, but that’s another discussion.

Which brings me to R15, who must have been born in 2002. Good grief. Movies before 1990 were too “pale colored”? You’ve seen Mary Poppins, so you should know that’s nuts. I didn’t think anyone could ever top my idiotic redneck cousins who told me in the 1980s they couldn’t believe I was watching a sitcom from the 1960s because it was in black & white, but here comes R15... I think maybe you just don’t like movies in general, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 197August 30, 2018 7:48 AM

"I’m a former straight guy turned bisexual turned gay, so I don’t have any problem with it."

When did you magically turn gay?

by Anonymousreply 198August 30, 2018 2:44 PM

When I finally lost all interest in girls sometime in my late 20s, R198.

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2018 12:38 AM

I can't think of the name because it's hot af and I'm half lit off of beer but that Orson Welles, Rosebud bullshit.

I've tried. For 20+ years I've tried. Excuses: Maybe I'm missing the important part or I'm not catching the "genius" of it, or give it another few minutes to get to the "good" part. Bullshit. The longest I've lasted is an hour, eyes glazed with boredom.

Idc Idc it's a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2018 1:44 AM

r191, you have no taste or talent you stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 201September 1, 2018 2:21 AM

Citizen Kane, R200. Yeah, I think it might be overrated. I’ve only seen it once, in a film class at college, and have had no desire to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 202September 1, 2018 3:01 AM

[quote]I've tried. For 20+ years I've tried. Excuses: Maybe I'm missing the important part or I'm not catching the "genius" of it, or give it another few minutes to get to the "good" part. Bullshit.

Citizen Kane is a classic style over substance movie, and Orson Welles is a terrible actor. (Watch him in The Stranger or Jane Eyre; it's cringe-inducing).

by Anonymousreply 203September 1, 2018 3:33 PM

Tootsie Imagine the outrage if someone made a movie about a white man who put on blackface and ended up leading the civil rights movement. Showing all those blacks how it's done, and acting as if putting on a costume made him knowing more about black life than actual blacks do. But I guess it's okay if it's about a man lecturing women.

by Anonymousreply 204September 1, 2018 5:33 PM

The Hetero Films--the ones guys cream over--"Big Lebowski," as many have have noted....and--far, far worse--"A Clockwork Orange." Don't even get a bunch of straight dweebs--especially academic types--going on that particular piece of nastiness. .Anything critical you say about Kubrick's wildly overrated movies will get the same reaction: "BUT THAT'S THE POINT!" The sluggishness, the miscasting, the misogyny, the coldness, the refusal to regard people as human beings....

by Anonymousreply 205September 1, 2018 5:57 PM

R186, I’m guessing you’ve never seen Dracula, Dead and Loving It. Spaceballs is fucking Oscar caliber compared to that shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 206September 1, 2018 6:11 PM

Forrest Gump...a movie that extols idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 207September 1, 2018 6:15 PM

The Shining. I watched it again last week and it was so fucking bad. The scenery chewing was really annoying. If that dreck got made today it’d be laughed out of the theaters. I can only assume when it was released it was new and shocking so people mistook it for good.

by Anonymousreply 208September 1, 2018 6:16 PM

[quote] But I guess it's okay if it's about a man lecturing women.

Oh, you're crazy. Tootsie is about a male chauvinist pig who learns how to treat women better by playing a woman on TV. Has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 209September 1, 2018 6:57 PM

It's a Wonderful Life - hate it, hate it!

by Anonymousreply 210September 1, 2018 7:19 PM

R208, I don’t know how The Shining did upon release, but I was a movie geek as a kid and bought all the movie guide books—Leonard Maltin, et al. The Shining was always a two-star movie, not considered a well executed horror movie at all. It’s really strange to witness it becoming this “classic”. I don’t know if it’s fans are just Kubrick fans, or Scarface fans (you know the type I mean), or if they’re just the Millennials who have no ability to discern just-okay/kinda bad movies from excellent movies. It’s bizarre how confused people born in the mid-80s or later are about movie quality.

Anyway, I think if The Shining were released today, it’d be a big hit and acclaimed the way that The VVitch and The Babadook were.

by Anonymousreply 211September 1, 2018 8:41 PM

Sadly I think you’re right r211. The movie is overwrought nonsense but in the current climate it may well be acclaimed. I think there is a view that a director or actor who has turned in a great performance now and again is somehow infallible and all work must then be considered great. It is palpably untrue of course and to be honest I’ve never much liked Nicholson as an actor. He can be great on occasion but needs a firm director to reel in his overblown manic mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 212September 2, 2018 1:22 AM

Boyhood was the worst Lifetime movie I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 213September 2, 2018 1:35 AM

[quote]It’s bizarre how confused people born in the mid-80s or later are about movie quality.

OMG. What nonsense. That movie has been considered a classic by many people regardless of demographic; that's why it's been homaged to hell and back in countless TV shows and movies for decades now. Hell, even the producers and writers of The Simpsons did an homage in one of Treehouse of Terror episodes. Are you saying Matt Groening and company--all Boomers--were confused about movie quality, too?

But that's neither here nor there. You people who trash The Shining are part of that same group who like to say stuff like, "The Exorcist was shit; it was just some girl rubbing herself with a crucifix and swearing" or "What's the big deal about Rosemary's Baby?" or "The Stepford Wives are corny." You blame others for liking these films when the problem isn't them; it's people like you who don't understand that there are different forms of horror that have nothing to do with jump scares or gore porn. One of those forms is psychological/gothic horror, where the horror lies more in capturing the anxieties that people have in everyday life than they do about stuff like facing ax murderers or seeing blood.

The Shining is considered a classic film because it was a gothic horror that perfectly captured themes of isolation, cabin fever, boredom and being cut off from the outside world. If you grew up in the age of internet and cell phone technology (where you can talk to and interact with everyone 24/7 and play video games), you're not going to get what was so "scary" about this movie. But if you remember what it was like back in the day when being at a place like the Overlook Hotel meant you were really and truly cut off from the outside world (no phones, no email, no texting, no games, no going out to the local hangout), then it was an incredibly effective film.

Another reason why this movie is considered a classic is that it had many iconic scenes, like the "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" scene. I think a person would have to be a mental midget to not understand why a scene like this wouldn't play a large part in why this movie has become a classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 2, 2018 3:25 AM

You’re ridiculously overwrought r214 - just like The Shining. Your assumption that anyone who doesn’t like it doesn’t like anything else is moronic. You know nothing of me or my tastes but have the arrogance to assume.

The Shining just doesn’t stand up. It has its fans (you, obviously) but that doesn’t mean it is universally beloved or that those who don’t agree with you have no insight or understanding of nuance. Your bizarre rant says much more about you and your limitations than you intended.

by Anonymousreply 215September 2, 2018 11:09 AM

The Passion of The Christ. Ugh never saw it and never will. I will leave that story up to my own personal imagination and not someone else's. That is called religion. I really don't need to see homophobic Mel Gibson profiting off of gratuitous torture for entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 216September 2, 2018 11:30 AM

I don't like Silence of the Lambs.

by Anonymousreply 217September 2, 2018 11:36 AM

For the mist part I don't like Audrey Hepburn movies...why did they always put her with an old guy. I can not get through Breakfast at Tiffany's...maybe cause I don't like George Peppard?

by Anonymousreply 218September 2, 2018 11:40 AM

I like Audrey Hepburn but can also not get through Breakfast at Tiffany's. I just found it obnoxious. Hepburn was really miscast. Peppard was one of those actors Hollywood tried to make "Happen" for years. He's always come across as Smug no matter the role. MIcky Rooney? The less said, the better. The movie even made Patricia Neal look bad.

Finally, I still can't stand "Moon River" since it was used to drench that movie in 100% concentrated maudlin sap

by Anonymousreply 219September 2, 2018 3:32 PM

Second those upthread mentiioning Fargo. Moving on here: Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri . . . a narrative mess that only succeeded because of the climate of political correctness.

And another sacred cinema cow: Saving Private Ryan, which had one of the worst scripts I have ever had to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 220September 2, 2018 3:37 PM

R218 - They put Hepburn when young with two "old guys" three times - in "Love in the Afternoon" and "Sabrina", both of which were widely criticised for the age of the men she was paired with, and "Charade", only Grant managed to pull off what Cooper and Bogart couldn't. I liked her immensely in "Two for the Road" with Albert Finney.

However, her performance in "The Nun's Story" was her finest, as was the film itself, which was based on a true story.

They did the same thing with Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart in "Bell Book and Candle", a film with a flawless script nearly ruined by the casting of a mid-fifties Stewart with a voluptuous Novak in the full flush of womanhood. Like Cooper in "Love in the Afternoon", Stewart wryly admitted afterward that it should be his last romantic lead role. They had to do quite a bit of movie magic on Stewart to lessen the signs of age.

by Anonymousreply 221September 2, 2018 3:42 PM

R218 ^with three old guys

by Anonymousreply 222September 2, 2018 3:43 PM

Pretty Woman

Forrest Gump

Steel Magnolias

ANY of the Lord of the Ring bore fests

by Anonymousreply 223September 2, 2018 3:56 PM

Star Wars. Any of them.

by Anonymousreply 224September 3, 2018 12:34 PM

Heartened by the number of people dragging [italic]Breakfast at Tiffany’s.[/italic] Even Mickey “Miss Gorightry!” Rooney wasn’t the worst thing about that movie. And “Moon River” sets my fucking teeth on edge.

by Anonymousreply 225September 3, 2018 3:05 PM

Seconding R223 on Pretty Woman, a loathsome sugarcoating of low-level street hookers and what they look like and what their lives are like - today it would be crucified, and rightly so.

And I'd like to add the DC Comics icon, Superman. Thanks to the wooden Mr Cavill, they are boring behind belief. I went to see the next but last one with a friend who has been in love with Superman since he was 7 years old - he approaches the films in the nature of a religious experience. It was all I could do not to yell out, "Come on, Dover, move yer bloomin' arse!"

by Anonymousreply 226September 3, 2018 4:17 PM

[quote]Seconding [R223] on Pretty Woman, a loathsome sugarcoating of low-level street hookers and what they look like and what their lives are like - today it would be crucified, and rightly so.

The musical version of "Pretty Woman" is running on Broadway, and no one is crucifying it. (At least not for that reason.)

by Anonymousreply 227September 3, 2018 4:29 PM

Harry potter and star wars. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 228September 3, 2018 4:32 PM

r217, really? why? Do you think its transphobic? To me, its a near perfect film that truly has some terrifying parts.

by Anonymousreply 229September 3, 2018 4:35 PM

R227 - I'm sorry to hear it. I thought it was inexcusable to sugarcoat street hooker lives like that. I'm surprised they can get away with it, given how many street sex workers are products of abusive childhoods, how dangerous their lives can be, how often they are abused by pimps, how many are addicted to drugs, and how few exhibit the dewy freshness of a young Julia Roberts - which is why sex traffickers are always on the lookout for young runaways. As one of them candidly said in an interview I once read, "Them johns like that sweet young meat."

Sorry, but this kind of thing drives me crazy. I don't mind your basic Cinderella story most of the time, but this one was just too far over the line for me.

by Anonymousreply 230September 3, 2018 4:49 PM

Every Spielberg movie except Jaws.

by Anonymousreply 231September 3, 2018 4:52 PM

Speaking of Hepburn and old guys, there's a moment in Funny Face where out of the blue a crepe-y Fred Astaire kisses her. It is still gross. He wore that freaking scarf around his neck to look bohemian and rakish and he just looked like an old man with a chicken neck. As obnoxious as it was for Hepburn to be paired with old dudes in her films, nothing beats the Astaire pairing. He never adjusted his acting style, it was always adolescent, which became creepy as he aged. He should have toned it down when approaching these ingenues.

I disagree Grant pulled it off in Charade. He was uncomfortable with chasing her in the movie, so he had it switched to her chasing him - he thought it helped the age difference. As with all these old leading men, it just looked ego centric to have a young female lead chasing them. But there really was no answer for it - the men were too old, but cast because it was old men running the studios.

Hepburn and Peter Finch had tremendous chemistry in A Nun's story, even though Fred Zimmerman was scrupulous about keeping out any narrative sexual tension (the Catholic church was cautious about cooperating with the film because it was afraid of what Hwood would do to that relationship). Too bad they weren't ever paired again.

by Anonymousreply 232September 3, 2018 4:59 PM

To Kill a Mockingbird. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Mary Poppins. The English Patient.

by Anonymousreply 233September 3, 2018 5:10 PM

[quote]You’re ridiculously overwrought [R214] - just like The Shining. Your assumption that anyone who doesn’t like it doesn’t like anything else is moronic. You know nothing of me or my tastes but have the arrogance to assume.

Excuse me, but I posted that comment at R214 because R211 posted this condescending, insulting explanation for why people must like The Shining:

[quote]I don’t know if it’s fans are just Kubrick fans, or Scarface fans (you know the type I mean), or if they’re just the Millennials who have no ability to discern just-okay/kinda bad movies from excellent movies. It’s bizarre how confused people born in the mid-80s or later are about movie quality.

So lemme get this straight: someone insults people who like The Shining with this comment, but you don't go after him? You go after me? Why? Because you agree with him but not with me about the movie?

[quote]You’re ridiculously overwrought [R214]

You think you're being clever by throwing around this word, "overwrought" all the time, but all I hear is someone using it is as shorthand for, "Anything that taxes my attention span," or "I don't want to have to think about this more than I want to."

So, you can say that my response was overwrought all you want but you're wrong. I explained exactly why The Shining is considered a classic using as many words as I needed to express those reasons. If it was possible, I could've dumbed down my response to make it more acceptable to you, but it's just not that kind of film where the reasons why it's considered a classic can be expressed in 100 characters or less like on Twitter or Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 234September 3, 2018 5:11 PM

The Shining was all cinematography, that's it.

by Anonymousreply 235September 3, 2018 5:20 PM

R234 you specifically said people who don’t like The Shining have no knowledge of or liking for other cinematic horror genres. You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 236September 3, 2018 6:39 PM

This drama is making my pussy wet.

by Anonymousreply 237September 3, 2018 7:10 PM

STEEL MAGNOLIAS. What a self indulgent piece of crap, with all the actresses trying way too hard with that trite ‘every line is a gem’ dialogue.

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE. Meg Ryan is such a painfully one note actress that her performance in this cornball romcom pretty much resembles all of her performances in all of her other rom coms.

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME. Preposterous. And I don’t buy anyone finding Timothee Chalamet attractive. The love scenes were both overly chaste and NAMBLA cringeworthy. I did like the dad’s speech to Elio after Oliver left, but the movie was bullshit.

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER. I hate wop culture, so...this automatically gets a NO from me.

by Anonymousreply 238September 3, 2018 7:21 PM

[quote][R234] you specifically said people who don’t like The Shining have no knowledge of or liking for other cinematic horror genres. You’re an idiot.

FF'ED, BLOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 239September 3, 2018 8:00 PM

^^^Oh whatever shall I do?

by Anonymousreply 240September 3, 2018 9:21 PM

That should be "four old guys," R221. You forgot about "Funny Face" where she's paired with a 57-year-old Fred Astaire.

by Anonymousreply 241September 3, 2018 9:34 PM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind---boring as fuck. I wanted to hit Dreyfuss in the head with his shovel. That music was so bombastic, pretentious, etc. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner---condescending shit. "Spence" should have had that heart attack before he made that silly nonsense. It's a Wonderful Life--total crap, Jimmy Stewart and his whiny character gets on my nerves. Gone with the Wind---Over-rated dreck. If you're into that kind of story, read the book instead. ET--sentimental slop All Star Trek movies except for Wrath of Khan. The latest ST movies are just one special effect after another, acting is horrible. Star Wars for all the reasons cited above

by Anonymousreply 242September 3, 2018 10:14 PM

My apologies for not double spacing for each film in post above.

by Anonymousreply 243September 3, 2018 10:16 PM

R233 - Oh, you have reminded us all: "The English Patient" owns this thread!

by Anonymousreply 244September 3, 2018 11:54 PM

Anything that's won an Oscar in the past 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 245September 4, 2018 8:21 AM

I liked The Shining. Great cinematography, yes and Shelly Duval!

Intensely loathe: All Star Wars, all LOTR, all Spielberg, all super hero movies.

by Anonymousreply 246September 4, 2018 8:37 AM

Anything with Reba McIntire.

by Anonymousreply 247September 4, 2018 9:04 AM

Million Dollar Baby. It hit every cliche in the book:

Struggling waitress wants to be a boxer. She struggling because she eats leftover food that the customers leave behind.

Man that is estranged from his daughter and can't forgive himself no matter how often he talks to a priest.

Black man spouting wisdom, in an annoying voiceover.

White trash family on welfare.

The issue of mercy killing. "I know she'd rather die than be paralyzed."

All we needed is a hospital orderly molesting the paralyzed Hilary Swank, and we got a Lifetime original movie.

So Hilary Swank got two Oscars. Is it that hard to play a white trash dyke?

by Anonymousreply 248September 4, 2018 9:18 AM

Million Dollar Baby needed a differently abled trans person of color and it would have been tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 249September 4, 2018 9:21 AM

Yeah, Million Dollar Baby was bullshit. I saw it in theaters and was the only person not absolutely weeping when it was over. At the time I thought it was me but I soon realized people are fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 250September 6, 2018 4:33 PM

It Follows for me too.

by Anonymousreply 251September 6, 2018 5:13 PM

Crash owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 252September 6, 2018 10:42 PM

Eyes Wide Shut. Stupid movie.

by Anonymousreply 253September 6, 2018 10:53 PM

r252, Crash isn't beloved by anyone nowadays. Its generally loathed by everyone.

by Anonymousreply 254September 6, 2018 11:19 PM

Anything in the Marvel Universe.

by Anonymousreply 255September 6, 2018 11:21 PM

ET Forrest Gump Titanic As Good As It Gets (I fucking loathed that movie) Terms of Endearment Any Rom-Com

by Anonymousreply 256September 6, 2018 11:23 PM

Schindler's List

by Anonymousreply 257September 6, 2018 11:25 PM

[quote]Seconding [R223] on Pretty Woman, a loathsome sugarcoating of low-level street hookers and what they look like and what their lives are like - today it would be crucified, and rightly so.

THEY JUST MADE A CUTESIE PIE BROADWAY MUSICAL OUT OF THE FUCKER!

Tween girls will be begging their parents to take them to this musical about "female empowerment", I imagine!

Worst. Idea. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 258September 6, 2018 11:26 PM

Jumanji

by Anonymousreply 259September 6, 2018 11:27 PM

A Christmas Story

by Anonymousreply 260September 6, 2018 11:31 PM

Forrest Gump

by Anonymousreply 261September 6, 2018 11:33 PM

The Princess Bride

by Anonymousreply 262September 6, 2018 11:34 PM

Forrest Gump and EVERY FUCKING Superhero film.

by Anonymousreply 263September 6, 2018 11:40 PM

Pulp Fiction

by Anonymousreply 264September 6, 2018 11:41 PM

The Alien franchise.

by Anonymousreply 265September 6, 2018 11:43 PM

by Anonymousreply 266September 6, 2018 11:43 PM

The Shining is an overrated piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 267September 6, 2018 11:43 PM

The Triplets of Belleville

by Anonymousreply 268September 6, 2018 11:48 PM

"Did anyone say Jerry McGuire yet? Can’t understand what anyone sees in that movie."

I think it's interesting that Jerry McGuire is a movie that really was completely beloved when it came out and for years after, but didn't stay beloved for the long haul. It's not talked about like it used to be and I don't see a lot of references to it on lists or in other commentary.

by Anonymousreply 269September 6, 2018 11:54 PM

Any Harry Potters

by Anonymousreply 270September 7, 2018 12:10 AM

I just watched Gone With the Wind recently and it's STILL so entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 271September 7, 2018 12:49 AM

Beverly Hills Cops

by Anonymousreply 272September 7, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote]STEEL MAGNOLIAS. What a self indulgent piece of crap, with all the actresses trying way too hard with that trite ‘every line is a gem’ dialogue.

I don't think anyone thinks Steel Magnolias is a great or beloved movie. It's still popular in certain circles because it's a deliciously over the top camp fest. I think of it as a Charles Busch parody of a "women's picture" with a real Hollywood budget, and the Busch role taken by Sally Field. All of the women in the movie are essentially drag versions of various Southern stereotypes - despite the fact they're played by women.

by Anonymousreply 273September 7, 2018 2:06 AM

Fiddler On The Roof

by Anonymousreply 274September 7, 2018 3:47 AM

Anything by Wes Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 275September 7, 2018 4:03 AM

Wes Anderson does have a lot of overrated movies ("The Royal Tenenbaums" sucks ass despite a great cast) but I absolutely LOVED "Moonrise Kingdom."

by Anonymousreply 276September 7, 2018 1:18 PM

FROZEN. Absolute garbage with a total made-by-committee feel. Terrible music and even worse plot. I bought it on iTunes expecting to love it since it combines so many favo gay elements: Idina Menzel, fierce blond princesses, and a wintry scenescape. But it does not hold a candle to the films of the 90s Disney Renaissance (89 - 98), even if it has one torch-burner of a song.

But Frozen has made billions of dollars in merch, so who cares right?

Moana, while formulaic, actually brought something new to the table with absolutely stunning visuals and a lot of research into - and love for - Polynesian culture. Of course it lost the Oscar to the, again, by-committee and overtly preachy Zootopia - another Disney film that belongs in the garbage bin.

by Anonymousreply 277September 7, 2018 2:42 PM

The Godfather. While these films are very well made I am put off by how they glamorize a bunch of low-life thugs.

by Anonymousreply 278September 7, 2018 3:06 PM

The Killing

Not a movie, but it's the American remake of the Danish TV series.

Talk about "arty" overkill. Dull. Confused. Empty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279September 7, 2018 5:15 PM

It’s A Wonderful Life, Casablanca and Duck Soup. I can’t stand the Marx Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 280September 7, 2018 5:35 PM

R58 Winona Ryder was the best thing about Black Swan, not Hershey (though she was good). Where's Winona's Oscar?!!!

by Anonymousreply 281September 7, 2018 5:36 PM

r278, There was nothing lowlife about The Godfather. They may have been criminals but so are most politicians. The were organized and disciplined like a fkin army. All the anarchist street gangs, bloods, and cryps could learn a thing or 2.

by Anonymousreply 282September 7, 2018 10:59 PM

Virtually every Woody Allen movie after Annie Hall. I liked the beautiful opening scenes of Manhattan but the movie's central relationship made me want to puke. I am not related to Mia Farrow or her family in any way, just to be clear. I loved early Woody Allen however.

Agree about It's a Wonderful Life being trash as well. Also La La Land (except maybe the great opening scene on the freeway)--not trash maybe--just bland and pretentious (the music, the leads).

by Anonymousreply 283September 7, 2018 11:59 PM

I always found it odd R258 that PW is loved by so many young girls. I've seen it played on ABC Family! Do girls like the idea of being saved whores? I chalked it up to the movie serving both men and women's wet dream. Women love the idea of a billionaire taking them shopping and saving them then turning them into Cinderalla and men get off on the idea of a whore in the bedroom and a lady on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 284September 8, 2018 4:21 AM

I don't exactly loathe "Inside Out" and "Zootopia" but I do think they're simplistic garbage.

by Anonymousreply 285September 8, 2018 5:08 AM

Children of Men. What a snoozer.

by Anonymousreply 286September 8, 2018 1:19 PM

R280 - Second your view of the Marx Brothers - I can take them for five minutes and that's it. I can sit trough "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" any old Halloween evening, but not Duck Soup., Horse Feathers, A Night at . . . .[ ] . . .

But must disagree on "Casablanca", whose narrative vacuity is redeemed by its matchless cast. It's eminently "watchable" which is not the same thing as being "good". That goes for "The Godfather" as well, which wasn't narratively vacuous, has a fantastic script, and a fantastic cast.

by Anonymousreply 287September 8, 2018 2:59 PM

[quote]Agree on Big Lebowski. It must be a straight guy thing.

This.

I have tried to watch "The Big Lebowski" several times bc all my straight friends raved about it and kept quoting "the dude abides" shit, and I just could not sit through it before boredom set in. It definitely is a straight guy thing.

Another one my straight male co-workers at the time raved about was "Kingpin." The way they talked about it, you would've thought it was laugh-out-loud funny. It was not.

by Anonymousreply 288September 8, 2018 3:19 PM

Couldn't agree with (191) more. Tarantino movies make me queasy and longing for a hot shower to wash that imagery out of my mind. So, this man is a brilliant genius? Who is promoting this BS?

by Anonymousreply 289September 8, 2018 3:44 PM

Old School.

by Anonymousreply 290September 8, 2018 3:46 PM

As a gay man, The Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies. It is like a mini- course in Buddhism and after watching it, you feel like everything that happens is ok - the good, the bad and everything in between. Of course, I’m a middle aged stoner as well - but I do relate to it more as an anti-capitalist wanna-be dropout than as a stoner.

by Anonymousreply 291September 8, 2018 4:12 PM

by Anonymousreply 292September 8, 2018 7:28 PM

Atonement

by Anonymousreply 293September 8, 2018 7:29 PM

Lost in Translation

by Anonymousreply 294September 8, 2018 7:30 PM

I am not crazy about Forest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 295September 8, 2018 7:59 PM

The Dark Knight

by Anonymousreply 296September 8, 2018 8:44 PM

The original two Batman movies by Tim Burton! Awful and self-indulgent!

So dull, and trying so hard to create a Batman LEGEND rather than just tell the Batman story! They recycled the same extras in all the scenes, you're not supposed to recognize them!

by Anonymousreply 297September 9, 2018 2:42 AM

The remake of Suspiria. Utter piece of vomit.

by Anonymousreply 298May 20, 2019 6:47 PM

Every comic book movie I have seen. No exceptions. Each one made me wonder what it wrong with the world.

by Anonymousreply 299May 20, 2019 7:50 PM

Good Will Hunting. It soured me on Matt Damon in just about everything he's been in since.

by Anonymousreply 300May 20, 2019 9:14 PM

Sleepless in Seattle. How is this bland trash considered a classic?

by Anonymousreply 301May 20, 2019 9:37 PM

Just about anything Spielberg has ever done. Sure, Jaws was entertaining and he's had a few other good ones but God, he's so fucking waywardly earnest and pompous in his judgment. Most of his works have ridiculous plots even in the world in which they exist. You know his remake of West Side Story is going to be abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 302May 20, 2019 9:53 PM

Every Wes Anderson film ever made, and all the future ones too.

by Anonymousreply 303May 20, 2019 10:42 PM

If you were young enough to see a movie like The Shining or Planet Of The Apes (the original) when they were first out, you were probably awed by them and have will have a different perspective and nostalgia from someone seeing them for the first time years later.

I don’t care for Woody Allen or Warren Beatty films yet some people go nuts asking how can you not like Annie Hall or Reds? I just don’t . Opinions and tastes vary and they change. Today’s creative and innovative director/film is passé tomorrow. Maybe future generations of movie viewers will look upon this era of Oscar winning movies as over hyped political agenda films and scoff at them or love them as period pieces -who knows?

by Anonymousreply 304May 20, 2019 11:07 PM

R303 - Preach! :)

by Anonymousreply 305May 20, 2019 11:41 PM

Inception. I didn't really get it, which seems to be the norm. But unlike other people I felt no desire whatsoever to watch it again. I didn't care about any of the characters or their 'mission', and it all seemed so pretentious, just like the kind of film straight movie geeks would wet themselves over. The only thing that made that movie * somewhat * human and touching was the wife sub-plot. But it's not like there aren't gazillions of other movies with tragic love stories in them.

The 3rd installment of Lord of The Rings. I quite liked the first one; it was very atmospheric and the story seemed a bit more complex and interesting than the usual hero vs. villain thing. The second installment still had some good moments. But towards the end I felt like it became less about the story and more about monsters, battle scenes and special effects. I also hated how every problem was solved by simply introducing some new 'species' (eagles, trees, ghost armies and what have you) that would just sweep in and save the hero at the last minute. That's such a cheap, unimaginative trick.

And I agree with the poster upthread who doesn't like 'old' movies. I can never tell apart the people in black-and-white movies, the bad audio quality (especially the voices) bugs the hell out of me and the acting and dialogues seem mannered/contrived to me. I can't relate to the characters at all, they don't even seem like real people to me.

by Anonymousreply 306May 20, 2019 11:54 PM

Terms of Endearment

But let us face facts: Avatar owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 307May 21, 2019 2:11 AM

Two comedies that I just coudn't get into and have never finished: Raising Arizona and There's Something About Mary.

by Anonymousreply 308May 21, 2019 2:12 AM

Annie Hall

Animal House

Blues Brothers

Westerns

Rambo

Rocky

Gremlins

All of the horror series like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream

by Anonymousreply 309May 21, 2019 3:44 AM

Moonstruck

Goodfellas

by Anonymousreply 310May 21, 2019 3:49 AM

R306 you had me at Inception, I hate that tedious crap with a passion, but list me when ranting about black and white movies. You sound very young.

by Anonymousreply 311May 21, 2019 4:42 AM

I'm in my thirties, so not that terribly young. To each their own. There's only like half a dozen movies or so that ever really left a lasting impression on me, so I guess I'm not easy to please. The oldest movie I ever really enjoyed was made in 1973 if I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 312May 21, 2019 4:58 AM

The Royal Tenenbaums

Oy vey! Look at my movie! It's full of quirky adorable characters! Not one of them a believable human being....plus, GOOP!

by Anonymousreply 313May 21, 2019 5:40 AM

I cannot get into Nolan movies - did not care for Inception and Dark Knight for me was just silly.

by Anonymousreply 314May 21, 2019 6:15 AM

One more - Citizen Kane - I get that in its time it was a great directorial achievement but now it reeks of cheap psychology.

by Anonymousreply 315May 21, 2019 6:17 AM

Another vote added to the posters above re the Marx Brothers. Ten minutes is all I can take, ditto Laurel and Hardy, and, heretical as it is, Charlie Chaplin's work from the same era. Oddly, I find the exception to these comedic acts to have been the Abbott and Costello team. Guilty pleasure admission: "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" (which includes meetings with Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Lon Chaney, Jr.'s Wolf Man) hilarious and can always watch it. Yet, I can't take more than five minites of Groucho & Co., L&H, and Chaplin. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 316May 21, 2019 12:46 PM

The Shining

by Anonymousreply 317May 21, 2019 2:22 PM

Boogie Nights

by Anonymousreply 318May 21, 2019 2:23 PM

'Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein' is indeed great, and is incredibly the only time Lugosi reprised his iconic Dracula character on film.

by Anonymousreply 319May 21, 2019 8:53 PM

R319 - Great to meet another A&CMF fan.

by Anonymousreply 320May 22, 2019 1:00 AM

Gone With the Wind. The Carol Burnett re-boot was more watchable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321May 22, 2019 1:37 AM

Kubrick/Tarantino/The Coen Brothers: The Straight Man's Trinity, Holy of Holies.

Give me a Vincente Minnelli movie every time.

by Anonymousreply 322May 22, 2019 1:58 AM

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. It's like a clown beating you over the head with a giant mallet for two and a half hours while screaming "See how funny I am?" Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 323May 22, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote]Kubrick/Tarantino/The Coen Brothers: The Straight Man's Trinity, Holy of Holies.

Can't sign on to the Coen brothers being lumped in that bunch. Fargo, by far their biggest hit, was all about an unassuming but strong woman taking down a big pile of nasty, amoral men. Not only was she pregnant, she never broke a sweat in the face of genuine danger.

by Anonymousreply 324May 22, 2019 3:36 AM

Citizen Kane is a very good movie.Orson welles brilliant performance, great dialogue, moody music by Bernard Herman and moving dialogue. I love it, don't care what anyone thinks.

by Anonymousreply 325May 22, 2019 4:10 AM

Most melodramas made by Bette Davis in the 30s and 40s like Now Voyager and Dark Victory just look so silly and shrill now, even though considered classzics. Dark Victory and it's depiction of brain cancer is so romanticized and phoney it's almost laughable. Now Voyager is very mawkish especially with the kid. And the mother is like something from a brothers Grimm fairy tale. Totally unbelievable, and overplayed.

by Anonymousreply 326May 22, 2019 4:16 AM

Abbott and Costello are unwatchable to me. It is hard to imagine just how popular they were even though after a very few years they basically did the exact same schtick in every movie. Their movies were so fast and inexpensive to produce they were a huge gold mine to Universal.

by Anonymousreply 327May 22, 2019 5:35 AM

R327 - Well, all according to taste. I can't even nail why I found them appealing and not some who were thought of as comedic geniuses.

by Anonymousreply 328May 22, 2019 1:09 PM

All Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

All of the Star Wars franchise. Peee-uke!

by Anonymousreply 329May 22, 2019 1:35 PM

The original Alien.

by Anonymousreply 330May 22, 2019 1:51 PM

Love Is Nice with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere

by Anonymousreply 331May 23, 2019 2:58 PM

Never cared for The Godfather

It insists upon itself

by Anonymousreply 332May 23, 2019 3:10 PM

R332 - Makes itself an offer it can't refuse?

by Anonymousreply 333May 24, 2019 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!