Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old Guard Wealth

What are it’s defining characteristics and accoutrements?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 5, 2022 7:13 PM

Dried little bits of cheese on Ritz crackers.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2018 6:43 AM

Fancy title. Family estate.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2018 6:44 AM

They know the difference between “it’s” and “its” and when to use each...

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2018 6:46 AM

Oh it’s time to do this again . . .

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2018 6:56 AM

You never talk about money.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2018 7:15 AM

One eschews the media.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2018 7:17 AM

ONE never talks about money, R5!

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2018 7:27 AM

The women are all Secret Lesbians

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2018 7:45 AM

I wonder what the Jamaican tranny would say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2018 7:56 AM

Stupid nick names and congenital birth defects (caused by interbreeding).

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2018 9:17 AM

The barely tangible smell of lavender and death...

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2018 11:44 AM

Earrings (Cartier, inherited from granny).

Caftans (but only in Palm Beach or Nantucket).

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2018 12:07 PM

slightly worn tweed

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2018 12:08 PM

Extinction

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2018 12:11 PM

Old money treats their help very well with high pay, respect, long term employment sometimes for life and even inheritance. They know you cant do anything without good help. If they do something philanthropic, its usually very low key, sometimes anonymously.

New money is rude, demanding, distrusts those serving them, looks down upon them for not "making something of themselves" like they did, revolving door of employment, waited on hand and foot 24/7 and never leave them a dime more than a standard tip. Nothing is ever good enough for them and they think they could do a better job.

New money loves to flaunt, flaunt, flaunt their purchasing power with over priced designer cloths, high end status cars like a Porsche , oversized McMansions in some faux style they know nothing about or interest in architecture. They love to humble brag about the latest deal they made and how hard it is being rich. If they do something philanthropic, they want their name on the damn building in big bold letters. Its not worth it if they are not recognized for their public special of appearing to give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2018 12:12 PM

Young maids of color being used as modern day sex slaves.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2018 12:15 PM

Who said "New money shouts, old money whispers?"

think it was Dorinda on Housewives

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2018 12:19 PM

The clothes and cars are ten years old, if not twenty.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2018 12:26 PM

Old guard tend to have a lot more class. New money tend to be tacky as a toilet bowl. They think just because the watched Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman learn how to use a knife and for, they have learned all they need to know. Class is not about table manners, its about public and private behavior.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2018 12:41 PM

Hear hear r15.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2018 12:54 PM

Who the hell is that, R9?

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2018 1:08 PM

Discretion, discretion, discretion VS. Ostentation, Ostentation, Ostentation

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2018 1:59 PM

R21

DL fave Lady Colin Campbell

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2018 2:11 PM

Old rich: Judgement from afar.

New rich: In your face, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2018 3:42 PM

Being from Europe.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2018 3:48 PM

My grandmother worked for old money. Three generations of the same family, from her early 20's until she retired at 80.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2018 3:52 PM

I say old chap! Everything dickety-boo?

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2018 9:43 PM

Old money in America that I know of used to import European maids and other help because they intended to keep them long term. Also because that was their life long profession they were good at. Unlike America where we see it as some kind of temp job or something you do until you can find something better. Or only something untrained immigrants do for pay under the table.

New money loves unskilled type they can pay almost nothing for and at the same time bitch about the lack of quality service they get. It makes them feel superior. Especially if they are another race. They then love to bitch and brag to their friends that they cant find good help. When you point them where to find professionals, then its "oh no, I dont want to pay that". Champagne taste on a beer budget.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2018 10:15 PM

R9 is a dumb, lying twat. Lady Colin Campbell is not trans, you moron. She was born a biological female. Isn't that what you're always ranting and raving about, people who are born female and those who aren't?

[quote] Georgia Ziadie was born in Jamaica in 1949, one of four children of Michael and Gloria Ziadie. She had a genital malformation (a fused labia and deformed clitoris). Medical advice at the time was to assign her as a male so she could live a normal life. She was christened George William.[1] Though her family life was otherwise happy, Campbell has spoken and written of the struggles she faced being raised as a boy when she was physically female.[1]

[quote] Her family, the Ziadies, were prominent in Jamaica. Their father was descended from one of six brothers who emigrated from Lebanon in the early 20th century; they were Maronite Catholics.[2] Her mother was also Catholic, of English, Irish, Portuguese and Spanish descent, and her maternal great-grandmother was a Sephardic Jew.[2]

[quote] Campbell moved from Jamaica to New York City to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology.[3] She was not able to have corrective surgery until she was 21, when her grandmother discovered what had occurred and gave her the $5,000 she needed. At that time, Ziadie legally changed her name to Georgia Arianna and received a new birth certificate.[1]

You are a nasty, bigoted woman, R9, and you have no idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2018 10:25 PM

You dont live in southern calif and you dont remodel your house in the latest trends.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2018 11:44 PM

Paul and Bunny Mellon old $

Donald Trump and family...... new $ , even tho he is second generation wealth, his childhood seems to be so awful that he acts like new $

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2018 11:48 PM

R30, true, although areas of Pasadena and Montecito are acceptable.

Your antique oriental rugs are so threadbare they look like trash. They're worth a fortune but it doesn't matter, they stay where they are on the floors until they disintegrate. Vacation houses are chock full of old, worn out furniture, drapes, vehicles. It's sent out from other houses, other relatives, whatever. It's all very ramshackle and should not be smartened up. That would be gauche and try-hard.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2018 11:54 PM
by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 1:27 AM

fraying upholstery.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2020 1:29 AM

big veiny dongs

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2020 1:30 AM

big veiny horses

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2020 1:32 AM

Deep deep hardcore racism. The women all look like horses while their husbands chase any and all tail they can find. The women sit at home drunk from 8 in the morning till night torturing the maids because all women are slurs even though their chinless husbands hate them, and they know it.

THOSE are traditional old money values. Bank on it.

Oh, and they are the inventors of the lavender marriage.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2020 2:41 AM

“Do we know their people?”

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2020 2:53 AM

And lest I sound like an old priss, they’re pretty fun to party with, but leave early because that’s when things get weird.

R38

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2020 4:37 AM

I meant r37. Not r38.

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2020 4:38 AM

Old houses. Old furniture. Old wine.

Old clothes, things that still fit, still wear well, and are no more out of style than they ever were.

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2020 4:56 AM

The Ivies.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 4:38 AM

House is decorated once using a lot of passed down pieces and doesn't ever really need to change in major ways because it's classic.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 5:47 AM

New money buys shiny leotards, sequined vests and pricey workout shoes for aerobics class.

Old money sticks to sweats and PF Flyers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 10:58 PM

The family office handles everything for them. No monsters.

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 11:09 PM

The use of the word “accoutrements,” as if you didn’t know.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 11:31 PM

Old money doesn't think about money. It's just THERE. Always has been; always will be.

Old money is amused.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 11:39 PM

Gold, lots of gold.

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 11:40 PM

The distinctions are disappearing. Once upon a time, the old money separated itself by neighborhoods or schools. Now the Ivies and prep schools have all types of people. Country clubs are still relatively homogenous but people often fall in love with people they meet through work or school.

An old money type I know (his parents considered the Vanderbilts new money) married a Jewish woman he met in law school and they have 2 young kids. His grandparents could not have imagined such a thing.

The old money style of his parents and grandparents is unfashionable. Now new money tries to look like old money. Debutante balls and such are outdated except for new money princesses.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 11:41 PM

Grey Poupon...

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 11:53 PM

Lady Mary from Downton Abbey said something like this: "We don't buy furniture for our homes. We inherit them."

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 11:54 PM

[Quote]Deep deep hardcore racism. The women all look like horses while their husbands chase any and all tail they can find. The women sit at home drunk from 8 in the morning till night torturing the maids because all women are slurs even though their chinless husbands hate them, and they know it.

[Quote]THOSE are traditional old money values. Bank on it.

[Quote]Oh, and they are the inventors of the lavender marriage.

Tell us what you really think, r37. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 11:57 PM

Fly fishing club memberships

Rubber boots

Actual gardening, with gloves and Latin names for plants and everything

Snooker

A roque court

An exquisitely beautiful but cranky sports car of some obscure marquee you've never heard of and which doesn't exist anymore that spends 99% of its time in a rotting Victorian garage with a blanket over it

An ornithologist's knowledge of bird-sightings

Milkweed plantings

Verandas

19th century wicker

A Steinway somebody actually fucking plays

A Tiffany glass dish full of Worth's butterscotch

Cutting the crusts off sandwiches

Postcards from Long Lake

A Cubist drawing in the guest bedroom (couldn't think of where else to hang the dreadful thing).

Taffeta

Canasta, pinochle, euchre and bridge

Chess games involving cursing

Brandy Alexanders on Christmas Eve

Ice yachts

Reusable swizzle sticks

Waterford highball glasses with the game birds of America etched on them

A brace of Purdys

Favorite sweaters

First edition novels from the 1920s

An entire library of some extremely dignified and intellectual but intensely boring subject with which the patriarch is obsessed, such as torte law in Spanish Florida

A patriarch

Girls with peekaboo hairstyles and blood red lipstick who are secretly judging you

Tweeds

Beautiful idiot second sons who would probably be gay if they had the wattage to realize the fact

The dim memory of an arabesque fantasy visible as a mere ghostly outline on the floor (i.e., the carpets)

Sung Dynasty ceramics

French and American Impressionist watercolors

Fluency in French

Generous donations to local conservation societies and animal shelters

A sinister cousin named Eudora, Malcolm, Mortwell or Violette

Enormous smelly dogs named after Saxon kings

A mud room

Mud

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2020 11:59 PM

I’ve definitely had that guy in that little sports car that OP posted. 😉

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2020 12:03 AM

Old money: investing in their childrens' education early so they are accepted to an Ivy League university or 7 Sisters college.

New money: Bribing college officials so their academically unprepared children are accepted to an Ivy League university or 7 Sisters college.

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2020 12:12 AM

threadbare rugs

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2020 12:16 AM

The billionaires haven taken over. They’re all new money.

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2020 12:16 AM

Bill Gates, old money; Jeff Bezos, new money.

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2020 12:19 AM

Summer homes in Maine

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2020 12:43 AM

R58 Bill Gates is not considered old money. He is from an upper middle class, white background but not old money. Old money like the Sedgewicks and the deForests were listed in the Social Register.

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2020 12:49 AM

Living on residual income.

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2020 12:53 AM

Bezos’ stepfather also is upper middle class. He is a white man who came from Cuba. The whites in Cuba were well off before Castro.

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2020 12:54 AM

All countries have their old money. But with the exception of Europe, the really rich are mostly new money.

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2020 12:56 AM

Gates, as did his parents, carries himself like old money.

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2020 12:56 AM

Nobody in the 21st century could give a fuck about "Old Money." The world and society have moved on.

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2020 1:01 AM

R54 That may be your opinion but the old money types at the Century Club mock his mansion where the temperature adjusts to the preference of who enters the room.

This thread asks about attributes of old money. Old money homes aren’t “tricked out” with super new technology. They are well-worn.

And no, Warren Buffett, isn’t old money just because you think he carries himself that way.

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2020 1:03 AM

r66 that world you speak of is now irrelevant. Even the younger generations of Old Money families have joined the 21st century. They don't have threadbare old ramshackle houses filled with antiques and many of them marry outside their narrow circle.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2020 1:06 AM

R64 not 54. And you are certainly not the judge of who carries themselves like old money. That’s the whole point, it’s the insiders who decide. You are a simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2020 1:06 AM

Marrying well. There is a family in New Jersey called the Frelinghuysens. These people have been in office, whether in the state or federal government, in some capacity, since Colonial times. They also are very rich. How do they do? Every generation, a member marries into some other wealthy, sometimes richer family, preserving the wealth. They have married beer heirs, sugar refining heirs, the Procter and Gamble people, you name it. Then they reproduce. They also stay under the radar, even though the family includes office holders. One was in Congress until 2018, I think. That is ooooold money, at least in US terms.

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2020 1:07 AM

R67. Yes, I said that in R49.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2020 1:08 AM

R69 Yes, we know them from our Princeton days.

by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2020 1:10 AM

r68 and you're a relic from a time that's passed.

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2020 1:11 AM

R72 You don’t know me, you’re just upset because I corrected your Gates/Bezos example.

I am not old nor was I born in this country. It was at my prep school and Princeton that the old money taught me these things.

by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2020 1:14 AM

[quote]You don’t know me, you’re just upset because I corrected your Gates/Bezos example.

That wasn't me

[quote]It was at my prep school and Princeton that the old money taught me these things.

God only knows what decade that was.

by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2020 1:18 AM

Old Money people wear sweaters in their houses because they’re drafty.

by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2020 1:21 AM

R74 I came to this country in 2002. I was a child in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2020 1:23 AM

R65 Some people care. I didn’t start this thread.

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2020 1:25 AM

The Gates/Bezos comment was clearly a joke.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2020 1:26 AM

can Joos be Old Money?

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Snobs to the core. Their time is over.

by Anonymousreply 80August 2, 2020 1:38 AM

In New England they belong to a discreet yacht club.

They summer in Maine or sail the Maine Coast.

Cocktails every night at sunset, if not before.

Refer to everyone in conversation by first names only because, well, we all know each other, dahling.

All the women have ridiculous nicknames: Bunny, Boopsie, Muggins.

Drive cars at least ten years old.

The husbands are all drunks.

They like to hunker down on Star Island.

All the furniture, pricey antiques, are uncomfortable to sit on.

Wives buy Joy perfume by the gallon.

They can't cook to save their lives.

They stay married to keep up appearances.

The women's wardrobes are half-filled with couture and half with L.L. Bean.

by Anonymousreply 81August 2, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote]Every generation, a member marries into some other wealthy, sometimes richer family, preserving the wealth. They have married beer heirs, sugar refining heirs, the Procter and Gamble people, you name it. Then they reproduce.

Oh wow, r69. I bet they have a just FABULOUS gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2020 1:47 AM

R81...Star Island in Miami? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2020 1:52 AM

[quote]Every generation, a member marries into some other wealthy, sometimes richer family, preserving the wealth. They have married beer heirs, sugar refining heirs, the Procter and Gamble people, you name it. Then they reproduce.

Not with any of the current generations. Again, DLers are living decades in the past.

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2020 1:55 AM

I think the thing about old money is that is isn't necessarily "really rich". It's just old money. And that can be a profoundly good or bad thing depending on the character of the people involved.

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2020 1:55 AM

Gravel drives...never paved

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2020 1:56 AM

Nobody knows what these people are like, get real. The closest you'll get to seeing these people are the royal families (the zoos of the aristocracy).

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2020 1:58 AM

R87, oh?

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2020 2:08 AM

Just watched the Slim Aarons documentary on Amazon Prime this weekend. He was a society photographer whose work in the 50s, 60s and 70s defined old guard wealth. Beautiful timeless images that inspired Ralph Lauren and other designers and continues to do so at present day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2020 2:17 AM

Except for R53, our anthropological hero.

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2020 2:19 AM

A hazard of a life spent north of Hyde Park, as they say, R87.

by Anonymousreply 91August 2, 2020 2:24 AM

So they are the ones who won't let Gilligan in their hut?

by Anonymousreply 92August 2, 2020 2:48 AM

When your entire home is populated by persons not related to you by blood, it pays to be kind to them if you value not only your life, but that of your spouse, children and family.

Treat servants badly and at very least they will up and leave. At very worse they will murder you and your children in their beds or wherever they can lay hands upon.

British upper classes often treated their servants quite beastly, seeing them as nothing more than bodies to be used for any or various purposes. This was prior to WWI and certainly by between war years. Once the lower classes (from where the servant class was drawn) began leaving service for office, retail, manufacturing, trades or even emigration the "servant problem" became acute.

American families of same period treated their servants far better including offering them employment in homes that had every mod con money could buy.

by Anonymousreply 93August 2, 2020 2:52 AM

One can never be too rich or too thin.....

Would have loved to experience 1970's Palm Springs, CA. Old fucking California up to their god damn necks. The lifestyle seems so effortless and beautiful....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 2, 2020 2:57 AM

The gorgeous and fabulously wealthy Gloira Schiff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 2, 2020 3:01 AM

To answer OP's query first off OGW you'll need a nickname. Something simple, easy to pronounce yet also remember.

Bunny, Sunny, Reggie, Slim.....

by Anonymousreply 96August 2, 2020 3:08 AM

Looks hideous. Look at those awful clothes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 2, 2020 3:09 AM

Mayonnaise is considered spicy.

by Anonymousreply 98August 2, 2020 3:12 AM

I worked everyday for over 15 years with old guard money -- Robber Baron level (during the gilded age).

Shuns media attention Doesn't talk about money openly CHEAP as HELL except for lawyers, club memberships, restaurants, accountants, and overseas vacations (usually staying at even wealthier persons places) Ridiculous WASP-y names/nicknames Endless family in-fighting and drama LAND Named homes "Family Legacy/History" Board memberships (regardless of competency) Nepotism and sinecures Family foundations (where most of the money went minus the trust funds) Money mostly marries other money

by Anonymousreply 99August 2, 2020 3:29 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the éminence grise of the idle rich ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 2, 2020 3:32 AM

R69

Charming family, I'm just dying to meet them; some time....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 2, 2020 9:43 AM

They really do know everybody and are related to everyone who matters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 2, 2020 9:50 AM

The Frelinghuysens are Jersey trash.

by Anonymousreply 103August 2, 2020 1:46 PM

The best guide to American old money is "Class" by Paul Fussell. It's brilliant. Fussell identifies 9 classes, plus "Category X," which exists outside of the class system. (This was ultimately the source of the name "Generation X.")

He sketches out a pinpoint accurate portrait of the "Top Out-of-Sights," as he calls the old money types. (Because you can't see their houses from the road, and they don't mingle much outside their class.) Some of the things he nailed that I found interesting.

In several cases, he draws a parallel between the very upper classes and the very lower classes. What they have in common is no striving to move up in class and no fucks given about what anyone else thinks of them. And, in the case of the "Bottom out-of-sights" (those in institutions or living on the street), they also rarely mingle outside their class.

Top out-of-sights tend to be very boring, even provincial. They have meat-and-potatoes tastes in food, and most everything else. Adventurousness is discouraged. They are incurious.

They don't generally drink fancy name brand liquor. Fussell says they drink to get tight, not to impress anyone with their refined taste in imported vodka or their rare bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.

Others have mentioned this, but -- old, non-ostentatious cars (striving for the new model, or showy cars -- it's all very bourgeois and try-hard).

Houses seldom redecorated. Sometimes old, ratty items handed down from great-granny. Nothing trendy. They aren't gonna bother redecorating their kitchen because they have a cook and they don't spend much time in the kitchen other than to nip in for ice or something.

In short: They don't give a flying fuck about impressing you or asserting their class. In fact, it's better if most people don't know the size of their fortune. It just breeds resentment, danger, and more hands out for handouts.

by Anonymousreply 104August 2, 2020 1:48 PM

I know a couple old money families (one has a couple presidents in the family tree, another was on the original board of the empire state building) and yes, these markers are right. there might be the visual artist member of the family who sort of mingles a bit too freely with other classes, but they are generally stay at home, nothing showy types, they may vacation in gstaad, but generally rather provincial.

by Anonymousreply 105August 2, 2020 2:16 PM

Will gay men ever stop slobbering over the wealthy and the elite? It’s so grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 106August 2, 2020 2:18 PM

horrors

by Anonymousreply 107August 2, 2020 2:19 PM

Capitalize, R105. If you're proud enough to capitalize your "I," you can extend yourself for an entire region of Bern.

And it's really nothing special to have presidents in one's background. Look at all of Jefferson's descendants.

by Anonymousreply 108August 2, 2020 2:20 PM

I heard a lot of the furniture in the fifth Avenue apartment of Jackie Kennedy onassis, was somewhat ratty and worn out. I guess that's what some of you mean.

Eventhough you'd expect different from a former American first lady.

by Anonymousreply 109August 2, 2020 3:54 PM

The Kardashians are the very epitome of ostentatious trashy new $$$. Before their reality TV fame, and billion dollar bank accounts. They were just upper middle class in hidden hills California.

But reality tv money and all of the various business ventures economically put them in the billionaire upper classes. The Kardashian-Jenners like so many today, made a massive fortune through the internet. Internet billionaires really are the ones with the real money nowadays, not the so called old guard.

by Anonymousreply 110August 2, 2020 4:01 PM

Pat Boone is old money

by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2020 4:05 PM

R104 your description makes me feel bad for them.

by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote]The best guide to American old money is "Class" by Paul Fussell. It's brilliant. Fussell identifies 9 classes, plus "Category X," which exists outside of the class system.

Yeah, if you're looking for a guide that was relevant four decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 113August 2, 2020 5:12 PM

R113, that's exactly the point -- for old money, nothing has changed, really, in the intervening decades. And "Class" is certainly still relevant, especially for the "top out-of-sights," "blue bloods," "old money," or whatever your chosen term is. Others' observations here clearly bear that out.

Just looking up the book and noticing that it's not new doesn't count as a trenchant observation. Try reading it.

by Anonymousreply 114August 2, 2020 5:18 PM

I love Class, was flogging it here on DL the other day. But I think Fussell was best on the middle classes. He probably didn't have more social contact with uppers than most of us here. His main point on them is that they are intellectually lazy. They have no reason to try.

by Anonymousreply 115August 2, 2020 5:21 PM

[quote] that's exactly the point -- for old money, nothing has changed, really, in the intervening decades. And "Class" is certainly still relevant, especially for the "top out-of-sights," "blue bloods," "old money," or whatever your chosen term is. Others' observations here clearly bear that out.

[quote]Just looking up the book and noticing that it's not new doesn't count as a trenchant observation. Try reading it.

But old money families don't live like that anymore, except for the very old folks. The ones of my generation aren't in dusty old houses full of ratty old furniture. They're full participants in the modern world. Even many of the ones from the Boomer generation are not like what Fussell described,

by Anonymousreply 116August 2, 2020 5:21 PM

They're generally funny looking, you don't know who they are, they don't talk about money (though they think about it all the time) and they don't like publicity, so when you read about them, you don't know who they are. Generally, they have good manners.

by Anonymousreply 117August 2, 2020 5:24 PM

R115, yes, and it's clear he doesn't much like the old-money folks either. You got the crux of his opinions: intellectually dull, pedestrian tastes, boring and lazy in every way except when it comes to holding on to what they have.

by Anonymousreply 118August 2, 2020 5:25 PM

[quote] Fussell identifies 9 classes, plus "Category X," which exists outside of the class system. (This was ultimately the source of the name "Generation X.")

No, it wasn't. The source was Douglas Coupland's book "Generation X."

by Anonymousreply 119August 2, 2020 5:27 PM

[italic]Money and Class in America[/italic] by Lewis H. Lapham is another insightful book on this subject. Lapham was an oil baron heir. Went to Hotchkiss, Yale and Cambridge. Was Editor of Harper’s Magazine for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 120August 2, 2020 5:40 PM

And his son is married to the daughter of Brian Mulroney, making said son brother-in-law to the lovely and talented Jessica Mulroney, much remarked upon of late.

by Anonymousreply 121August 2, 2020 5:42 PM

R119, from Wikipedia, Coupland discusses the source of "Generation X":

Coupland has presented different narratives concerning the origin of the title Generation X. In one version, the title came from the work of Paul Fussell.[4] In Fussell's 1983 book Class, the term category X designated a part of America's social hierarchy rather than a generation. As Coupland explained in a 1995 interview, "In his final chapter, Fussell named an 'X' category of people who wanted to hop off the merry-go-round of status, money, and social climbing that so often frames modern existence." However, in a 1989 magazine article[5] Coupland attributed the term Generation X to Billy Idol, since it’s the name of the band Idol broke through with.

by Anonymousreply 122August 2, 2020 5:56 PM

[quote] boring and lazy in every way except when it comes to holding on to what they have.

Its not easy to sustain wealth through successive generations. And the type of work they do to maintain their wealth is not really recognizable as work to the plebs. Not many are going to give away their fortune and embrace the hardships of the middle-class.

by Anonymousreply 123August 2, 2020 6:29 PM

The rich have their own problems, no more need to minimize theirs any more than your own.

by Anonymousreply 124August 2, 2020 6:30 PM

We have had a few posters here over the years who have known old guard rich people and have written very amusing posts about them. There was one guy who was hired to take care of some family's quail hunting dogs when they went on vacation a few times per year that was funny.

by Anonymousreply 125August 2, 2020 6:36 PM

R123 Many people from old money have law degrees, work on Wall Street or have medical degrees. It is very difficult to sustain wealth unless you collect massive amounts of rent (economic rent, not just leasing apartments).

Traditionally marriage was between families so that power and money could mutually be sustained.

by Anonymousreply 126August 2, 2020 6:41 PM

My elderly parents are currently paying their housekeeper her full salary and grocery bills while she stays at home with her family. We are neither old nor new money. We just have class.

by Anonymousreply 127August 2, 2020 6:44 PM

"such as torte law in Spanish Florida"

Oh Dear!

only new money would smuggle a file into prison in a cake.

by Anonymousreply 128August 2, 2020 6:52 PM

Keeping the wealth over generations is as easy as marrying the kids off to the nouveau riche and then tutoring the offspring. Too bad some old money didn't fix the Trumps for us.

by Anonymousreply 129August 2, 2020 6:59 PM

Edith Wharton is better for this than Fussell.

by Anonymousreply 130August 2, 2020 7:04 PM

The two Trump boys will lose everything they have.

by Anonymousreply 131August 2, 2020 7:05 PM

The Trumps are persona non grata in the old money circles.

by Anonymousreply 132August 2, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote]The Trumps are persona non grata

O cara.

The Trumps are [italic]personae non gratae[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 133August 2, 2020 7:22 PM

That's the problem, R132. He bigly wanted to rule Manhattan society. Now we all have to suffer.

by Anonymousreply 134August 2, 2020 7:22 PM

R81 can you let me know if that is Joy perfume by Jean Patou, or Joy perfume by Dior?

R83 I think R81 is mentioning Star Island off the coast of Maine/New Hampshire, not the Star Island of Miami Beach Florida?

by Anonymousreply 135August 2, 2020 8:04 PM

So where does the Hiltons fit into all of this talk of New VS Old Money?

They're showy, but not in the way that other trashy whorie family is. They're still somewhat traditional in how they carry themselves, but in a Hollywood way of course.

by Anonymousreply 136August 2, 2020 8:04 PM

New, but not, you know, new new

by Anonymousreply 137August 2, 2020 8:09 PM

CULTURE March 2009

Class Dismissed A new status anxiety is infecting affluent hipdom

SANDRA TSING LOH MARCH 2009 ISSUE The Big Sort BY BILL BISHOP HOUGHTON MIFFLIN The Return of the Player BY MICHAEL TOLKIN GROVE/ATLANTIC Class BY PAUL FUSSELL TOUCHSTONE SOME 25 YEARS have passed since the publication of Paul Fussell’s naughty treat Class: A Guide Through the American Status System, and I think this quarter-century mark merits the raising of either a yachting pennant, an American flag, or a wind sock with the Budweiser logo (corresponding to Fussell’s demarcations of Upper Class, Middle Class, and Prole). For readers who somehow missed this snide, martini-dry American classic, do have your assistant Tessa run out and get it immediately (Upper), or at least be sure to worriedly skim this magazine summary over a low-fat bagel (Middle), because Fussell’s bibelot-rich tropes still resonate.

Back in 1983, Fussell—author of the renowned book The Great War and Modern Memory—argued that although Americans loathe discussing social class, this relatively new, rugged country of ours did indeed have a British-style class system, if less defined by money than by that elusive quality called taste. To be sure, Fussell’s universe is somewhat passé, in that its population is almost exclusively white (with the Mafia thrown in for color), and the three “classes” in his opening primer conform to clichés we might think of as Old-Money WASP, Midwestern Insurance Salesman, and Southern Trailer Trash. The top classes, according to Fussell (with a hint of Nancy Mitford), drink Scotch on the rocks in a tumbler decorated with sailboats and say “Grandfather died”; Middles say “Martooni” and “Grandma passed away”; Proles drink domestic beer in a can and say “Uncle was taken to Jesus.”

The still-fresh guilty pleasure of the reading, however, comes from the insistent unspooling, with an almost Ptolemaic complexity, of Fussell’s cocktail-party-ready argument.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 2, 2020 8:11 PM

Probably Patou, r135. Dior is so common.

And r182, I was at Princeton with Joy Frelinghuysen, and she was genuinely Ralph-Lauren-model gorgeous, so she obviously didn't do too badly out of her gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 139August 2, 2020 8:33 PM

* meant to address r82, not 182 above

by Anonymousreply 140August 2, 2020 8:34 PM

I was at school with a number of guys who would qualify as coming from "old guard wealth". I was good friends with two brothers who were a year older and a year younger than me. One became a veterinarian and the other worked for a number of high end department stores as a buyer. They both make decent incomes from their jobs, but they were trust fund babies and inherited a great deal of money when their parents died and lead pretty good lives not possible with just their working income. The family money came from very safe and conservative investments so they aren't hugely impacted by changes in the stock market.

Their mother was very proud of them for, in her words, "not going down the Wall Street route" (she mentioned that to me several times) and for having "regular, interesting jobs". You wouldn't expect it coming from a woman who belonged to a rich and prominent family with a well-known name. One of her sons (the gay one) told me she was often asked by her friends why they chose "unlikely careers". His mother would laugh and respond, "Well, I don't know about yours, but my children are happy."

by Anonymousreply 141August 2, 2020 8:41 PM

[Quote][R64] not 54. And you are certainly not the judge of who carries themselves like old money. That’s the whole point, it’s the insiders who decide. You are a simpleton.

Insiders like you with your ad hominem attacks?

by Anonymousreply 142August 2, 2020 8:52 PM

r15 that's all well and good but it appears that THE old money families all did the things you talked about, yet their descendants remain respected. It's just funny when old money types and the people that look up to them like to rewrite history acting like they are some gentle types.

I will always love this scene from Billions about the come-up of new money over a stuffy old-money family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 2, 2020 10:08 PM

Genteel* not gentle.

by Anonymousreply 144August 2, 2020 10:10 PM

r134 Trump did not want to rule Manhattan, he just wanted cheap fame. If he wanted to rule Manhattan he wouldn't have been basically a hermit while married to Melania. They barely went out in public according to those in the know about NYC.

by Anonymousreply 145August 2, 2020 10:14 PM

Then why didn't he stay in Queens?

by Anonymousreply 146August 2, 2020 10:16 PM

r146 because it's fucking Queens, lol. He wanted to make a name for himself but he wasn't ruling shit. NYC titans weren't going to Atlantic City.

by Anonymousreply 147August 2, 2020 10:23 PM

R109

Nothing uncommon about "ratty" furniture at all; you see same thing in castles and other homes of nobility, "old money" wealth, etc... all over UK and Europe. These are families so old as to be ancient, and have more than enough money to throw things out and buy new, and or have pieces redone.

Given love of dogs by some British and French families it also isn't uncommon to give them free access to entire house. This includes making themselves at home on expensive (but now often threadbare upholstered furniture, or cuddling up in the miles of fabric pooling on floor from drapes.

As a young lad Prince Charles lost a dog lead; upon informing HM, the Queen sent him right back out to find the thing telling the young prince "dog leads cost money....".

In film "Metropolitan" one of the Park avenue debutants has a problem with her dress; the mother comes in, examines dress and takes it away to get her sewing kit. That woman or family easily could have given girl money for a new dress, but that isn't how things are done.

by Anonymousreply 148August 2, 2020 10:29 PM

They were the UHBs, R148, not the uppers.

by Anonymousreply 149August 2, 2020 10:45 PM

R126

Until pushed out by the Jews, "old money" (as in WASP) dominated publishing, advertising, good amount of banking/finance and in many local areas (certainly New York City) real estate. They were also well represented in the "gentlemanly" professions of law, medicine, architecture.

Other area of course was politics (think Roosevelt family), and or government appointments. At one time US Department Of State was totally dominated by WASPS from "old families" , this went on right up until and through WWII.

Henry Morgenthau Jr. was Secretary of the Treasury to FDR and one of few Jews in that administration. His efforts at rescuing Jews from Holocaust in Germany/Europe were continuously frustrated by old money WASPS who controlled state department.

Even when not exactly from old money or WASP backgrounds those who have attended their institutions of learning and higher education held and hold large numbers of influential positions in government, law, business, etc..

Of 44 POTUS 16 have their undergraduate and or law degrees from Ivy League colleges/universities. The SCOTUS though varied by race and religion still resembles a public works project for Harvard, Yale and Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 150August 2, 2020 10:47 PM

You wish the SCOTUS varied by religion, R150.

by Anonymousreply 151August 2, 2020 10:59 PM

Unless all Protestant and then no Protestant counts as varied.

by Anonymousreply 152August 2, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote]f he wanted to rule Manhattan he wouldn't have been basically a hermit while married to Melania. They barely went out in public according to those in the know about NYC.

They never went out because in good company they are considered toxic and as such were never invited.

by Anonymousreply 153August 2, 2020 11:17 PM

Food-stained tie

by Anonymousreply 154August 2, 2020 11:20 PM

Justice Gorsuch is the only Protestant on the Supreme Court. The rest are Jews and Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 155August 2, 2020 11:47 PM

Gorsuch is a crypto-Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 156August 2, 2020 11:55 PM

Zero criminal history, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 157August 3, 2020 12:03 AM

r157, “behind every great fortune is a great crime.”

by Anonymousreply 158August 3, 2020 12:13 AM

Hundreds of empty cat food cans lying about; or was it Pâté?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 3, 2020 12:14 AM

You tell ‘em, R29. We love Lady Colin Campbell!

by Anonymousreply 160August 3, 2020 12:19 AM

The house from the OP is always worth a look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 3, 2020 12:36 AM

R158 What I mean is someone from Old Money living today has no verifiable criminal history no matter what they have done.

by Anonymousreply 162August 3, 2020 1:43 AM

Lady Colin is a big tranny. A big fun tranny.

by Anonymousreply 163August 3, 2020 2:21 AM

Was that house in one of the Gatsby movies? It seems familiar.

by Anonymousreply 164August 3, 2020 3:42 AM

R164

Marble House, a Vanderbilt mansion (or rather summer cottage) in Newport was location for 1974 Great Gatsby. Not sure about 2013 version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 3, 2020 7:50 AM

R162

I'm sorry?

You don't have a clue do you? Not a single one........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 3, 2020 7:57 AM

r166 ew. He was 34 and living off of $1000 a week? That's basically a COVID unemployment check. Like for a rich guy with a Princeton education, that's not a lot of money. I suppose he wasn't picking up any dinner tabs.

by Anonymousreply 167August 3, 2020 8:13 AM

R153

Back in the go-go 1980's DT and Ivana were everywhere; charity events, society balls, Paris fashion week...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 3, 2020 8:36 AM

By the 1990's came various setbacks to DT's business fortunes, piled onto the scandal of Marla Maples, a very nasty divorce from Ivana, more business setbacks..... Then another divorce (from Marla) dredged up more fodder for scandal.

Again as has been mentioned already; DT is from a middle class Queens, NY background. He never bothered nor really seemed to want in to NYC society unless they did so on his terms. For their part much of NYC society saw DT as not just HKLP sort, but a scheming and conniving bounder who only wanted into society for what he could get out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 3, 2020 8:54 AM

He “looks” rich to those who don’t know better.

by Anonymousreply 170August 3, 2020 9:49 AM

E187. The rare exception that proves the rule.

by Anonymousreply 171August 3, 2020 11:41 AM

Trump is poor racist dirty deplorables idea of what the real wealthy elite is. And of course they're wrong.

Trump will always be gaudy tacky cheap trash.

by Anonymousreply 172August 3, 2020 4:07 PM

When you google them NOTHING shows up unless a wing in a building is named after you.

Today's new money doesn't get that.

by Anonymousreply 173August 3, 2020 4:51 PM

So is Trump considered Old Money or New Money?

by Anonymousreply 174August 3, 2020 7:23 PM

[bold] The One Where DLers Pretend It Is Still 1957.

by Anonymousreply 175August 3, 2020 7:28 PM

You have to ask, R174? Did you even read the thread?

by Anonymousreply 176August 3, 2020 8:11 PM

R173

Oh I don't know... It's a mixed bag.

"Sanford I. Weill, a Wall Street billionaire, and his wife, Joan, have decided not to donate $20 million to a struggling northern New York college after a judge ruled that it could not be renamed for Mrs. Weill, college officials said on Thursday.

The donation had been offered on the condition that Paul Smith’s College change its name to Joan Weill-Paul Smith’s College. Mrs. Weill has been actively involved with the college’s development for more than two decades and served on the board of trustees."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 3, 2020 9:18 PM

OTOH David Geffen got Avery Fisher Hall renamed after donating a pile of money.

Here in NYC you can't get away from things named Tisch, Loeb, Weil, and other associated new money names.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 3, 2020 9:20 PM

R178 But they needed to pay off the Avery Fishers to do so.

by Anonymousreply 179August 3, 2020 9:28 PM

R174 I think Trump is considered more Dirty/Mob Money more than anything else.

He is also a media whore and both of those things are anathema to the Old Money types.

by Anonymousreply 180August 3, 2020 10:41 PM

Old money can be quite a burden, such as when your slutty daughter-in-law murders your son and you have to mobilize money and Society to make sure the guilty whore is acquitted so as to preserve the dignity of the family name.

by Anonymousreply 181August 3, 2020 11:21 PM

Old guard wealth does not give interviews complaining about how no one has asked them if they are "okay".

by Anonymousreply 182August 3, 2020 11:41 PM

Glad someone brought up Anne Woodward. Mentioned her once and didn't want to seem harping on about the woman.

In television dramatization of book "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles ", Alice Grenville (played by Claudette Colbert) shows how things are done.

When the slag DIL Ann Arden Grenville (played by Ann Margaret) is arrested for the murder of her son, Alice Grenville springs into action.

One of her first telephone calls is to the governor, there Mrs. Grenville senior calls in old favors and plays on familial connections to get Ann Grenville moved to a mental ward instead of jail where she was currently being held.

That mission accomplished Alice Grenville then rings up publisher of local newspaper where a reporter has been covering the murder story, and digging up all sorts of sensational dirt. Again playing on connections Mrs. Grenville Sr. asks the publisher to "lean" on said reporter, and or otherwise put an end to the nasty media coverage. Alice Grenville even throws in "the Grenvilles will be very generous at your next charity...." as a sweetener. Her daughters are rather confused by their mothers actions on Ann Grenville's behalf, and Alice explains it had nothing to do with Ann per se; but that there was quite a lot of dirt in that marriage she didn't want coming out.

Later when Ann Grenville tries to give her MIL the queen bee treatment, Alice Grenville basically says "who do you think you are?". She goes on to say just how does Ann thing she got removed from jail to her current accommodations that required action by governor who is sole person in state with authority to make such a decision. Throwing in "or do you think this is your rightful due?"

Leaving aside who did or didn't murder William Woodward, saddest thing was the collateral damage. We can dispute whether or not Ann Woodard was no better than she should have been, and got what she deserved in the end, but it is the sons you feel sorry for most, both dead by their own hands.

They're all up in Woodlawn now; Woodward pere (murdered). Woodward madame et mere (suicide), et les fils Woody and Jimmy (suicides)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 4, 2020 1:35 AM

Donald Trump didn’t want to give to charity. This is important in all rich circles.

by Anonymousreply 184August 6, 2020 4:59 PM

Over here, asset rich, cash poor. Generally drive beat up old cars. Excellent manners. Don’t give a fig what people think of them. Hatred of artifice and hypocrisy usually.

by Anonymousreply 185August 6, 2020 5:07 PM

Maybe R53 had this in mind, R128

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 6, 2020 6:41 PM

After college, I was a nanny for a family on Martha's Vineyard; they weren't rich in the Vanderbilt/to the manor born sense, but both parents came from wealthy families. They were horrified that their youngest son didn't want to learn how to sail (the kid was just fucking with them), they drove shabby old cars even though they could've afforded better and when they'd buy expensive items, like this beautiful couch, they left it in a spot in the house getting direct sunlight so in a brief period of time, the fabric faded (and of course they didn't care that the kids regularly ate on the couch & spilled shit). To them, it was like money was something that was always there, so they didn't really care about it or worry about much things cost the way most people do. Moreover, they didn't care so much about education, but cared about the types of things they expected their kids to know how to do, like sail, play lacrosse, go to certain types of camps & hang out with other kids with similar backgrounds. It's like they didn't worry about the typical middle class striving.

by Anonymousreply 187August 6, 2020 7:06 PM

r187 I don't know what decade you are talking about, but education and careers are much more of a priority and lots of emphasis is placed on it because the modern world is much more competitive. Back in the day if you were from a blue blood family you were guaranteed placement in an Ivy League and a lucrative professional career you could walk into. Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 188August 6, 2020 7:33 PM

Correct, r188. That chute from a prep school to an Ivy ended in the late 1960s. GW Bush was part of the last cohort where that still worked. Now coming from a well-off white family is almost as big a disadvantage for Ivy admission as being Asian. Even legacies have a hard time getting in these days.

You can still go from a prep school to a reputable second-tier college to a career in the family company, though -- although you'll probably need to get an MBA somewhere along the way. Of course, that only helps you if the family company survives contemporary capitalism and COVID.

by Anonymousreply 189August 6, 2020 8:18 PM

R188 All the wealthy families I know care quite a bit about education. Life will get harder with climate change catastrophes coming more frequently and an education can never be taken away. With an education comes networks and skills. Even now, having a good education gives you flexibility. It’s often the nouveau ruche who spend gobs of money on clothes.

by Anonymousreply 190August 7, 2020 12:31 AM

*riche

by Anonymousreply 191August 7, 2020 12:33 AM

Come, not comes

by Anonymousreply 192August 7, 2020 12:35 AM

R189

Exactly!

When Claude Upston speaks of Patrick Denis future as "I can slip him into a berth on Madison Avenue or a seat on the stock exchange.", that went out by 1960's, the twilight years of when WASPS still had any sort of lock on adverting, publishing, banking or finance... to extent even an idiot son or SIL could be palmed off somewhere. Those days are long gone...

by Anonymousreply 193August 7, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] When Claude Upston speaks of Patrick Denis future as "I can slip him into a berth on Madison Avenue or a seat on the stock exchange.", that went out by 1960's

Thank you. I got my job solely on my intelligence and hard work!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 194August 7, 2020 8:13 AM

R193 is correct. Nepotism died in the sixties. Just like racism.

by Anonymousreply 195August 7, 2020 11:13 AM

Maybe just the classy kind of nepotism is dead.

by Anonymousreply 196August 7, 2020 1:47 PM

Nepotism hasn’t died but it’s not what it once was. The percentage of legacy admissions at top schools is much lower and there’s more competition from people, like the Kushners, who donate money for the same spots.

by Anonymousreply 197August 7, 2020 4:35 PM

[quote] The percentage of legacy admissions at top schools is much lower and there’s more competition from people, like the Kushners, who donate money for the same spots.

One man's donation is another woman's bribe.

by Anonymousreply 198August 7, 2020 5:32 PM

The Old Guard is really dying out now, very few of the authentic ones left

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2020 7:21 PM

Tattered 50 yesr old cardigan sweaters and darned socks. They are mandated

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2020 8:03 PM

wearing dead parents or grandparents' clothes, why throw out perfectly good stuff

by Anonymousreply 201September 2, 2020 2:31 PM

Wool rugs.

by Anonymousreply 202September 2, 2020 2:32 PM

Ancient rusting Mercedes diesel station Wagons

by Anonymousreply 203September 4, 2020 4:01 PM

In-breeding and hemophilia.

by Anonymousreply 204September 4, 2020 4:04 PM

Old money is no money.

Ha.

by Anonymousreply 205September 4, 2020 4:16 PM

The older the money, the greater the dowd factor.

Expect dust and rust.

by Anonymousreply 206September 4, 2020 4:49 PM

So old money is more like $100 million. While new tech money is more like $6 billion? Is that the ratio between the two classes?

by Anonymousreply 207September 4, 2020 4:54 PM

What's the car in OP?

by Anonymousreply 208September 4, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote] After college, I was a nanny for a family on Martha's Vineyard;

And since this is Datalounge, we can assume the story is set about 40 or 50 years in the past and thus the anecdotes rendered are only of historical value.

by Anonymousreply 209September 4, 2020 5:09 PM

Prep to Ivy and little Ivy is still a thing. One of the defining characteristics of old money that I've noted has been a tendency to tell you about 2/3 of their story. A colleague told me where he grew-up in suburban Cleveland and where his mother was from (a place where old money winters). I didn't need to know any more about him---his name is not unusual but in Cleveland it's old money. He didn't need to tell me anything more and didn't ask me where I was from---we understood and it would have been gauche to ask anything further about his family background. I've known people from non-old money background who do this, but it's more obvious that they're playing a game. The Old Money people don't want to talk about the obvious, although they care that you know. The wannabes really want you to guess what they left out.

by Anonymousreply 210September 4, 2020 5:17 PM

I recognise a lot of this from England. How does Old Money vote?

by Anonymousreply 211September 4, 2020 6:51 PM

You should only have your picture in the newspaper upon your birth, engagement/marriage, death. Later included, your deb events.

by Anonymousreply 212September 4, 2020 7:03 PM

R8, Would that really be true, that "the women are all secret lesbians?" Considering that so many of their husbands have secret affairs ie "Do whatever you want but don't ever scare the horses" I've always wondered.

Men don't necessarily work a regular job but have an all consuming hobby.

by Anonymousreply 213September 4, 2020 7:08 PM

"All the men have offices to get mail, but no one really works there."

"The weekends are very long, you leave on a Thursday and come back on a Tuesday."

I heard those from Anne Slater on the old Dominick Dunne show, "power privilege and justice."

by Anonymousreply 214September 4, 2020 7:25 PM

r199 serves them right for having more than one child and dividing their wealth between the children. should have just given the estates to the oldest male (carry the name) and give the rest of the brood well funded trusts that they can access at 25. Rinse and repeat like the British did. But no, they broke up land and wealth. Their industries are also older and can't compete with the internet corporations. It's ok, a new 21st century old guide is forming.

by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2020 3:41 PM

Anonymity, except in the toniest of enclaves, as well as the dirtiest of mobs.

Daughters on the equestrian circuit; male scions on the polo one.

Yachts moored in Monaco; money parked in the Caymans (or Trump Towers, heh).

First crack at diamonds, IPOs, and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2020 4:45 PM

Marjorie Gubelmann is as “old WASP money” as they come and she’s flashier and more of a press whore than the most nouveau riche arriviste you can think of.

Yes there is some truth in some of these traits but a lot of the stuff listed here is fetishized bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 217September 8, 2020 4:18 AM

Well, then separate the wheat from the chaff, R217. Tell us what’s what, if you know.

by Anonymousreply 218September 8, 2020 12:30 PM

Why the hell is someone like Marjorie Gubblman a damn DJ? Does she do it for $?

by Anonymousreply 219September 8, 2020 12:40 PM

The Hiltons aren't old money, they're mid-century modern money (most of the fortune dates to the 1940s and 50s.) Real old money goes back to the 19th Century (or earlier.)

by Anonymousreply 220September 8, 2020 4:59 PM

The Hilton hotels first started in 1919, So your right. I've never thought of them as old money either.

But I guess their getting there.

by Anonymousreply 221September 8, 2020 7:46 PM

It’s about restraint.

by Anonymousreply 222February 1, 2021 2:00 AM

It's about cuffs and restraints

by Anonymousreply 223February 1, 2021 5:48 PM

Understated, discreet, and not showy.

by Anonymousreply 224February 1, 2021 11:07 PM

[quote] the go-go 1980's

I detest this phrase.

by Anonymousreply 225February 1, 2021 11:37 PM

The Hiltons have been wealthy for 100 years. At this point, they deserve to be considered old money. The Vanderbilts and Rockerfellers were considered old money by the 1980s and their fortunes were only 100 years old, at the most. This country is 243 years old. The Hilton's have been wealthy for nearly 90-100 years of that time. I say they deserve to be called old money. It's lasted about 4 generations.

How do you all define old money?

by Anonymousreply 226February 4, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote] How do you all define old money?

If you have to ask...

by Anonymousreply 227February 4, 2021 11:49 PM

Old money is at least 3 generations.

by Anonymousreply 228August 10, 2021 4:12 AM

Savoir faire.

by Anonymousreply 229May 26, 2022 2:58 AM

Triscuits

by Anonymousreply 230May 31, 2022 5:04 PM
by Anonymousreply 231December 2, 2022 5:31 PM

tattered Brooks Brothers underpants

by Anonymousreply 232December 5, 2022 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!