Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Openly gay Opera Star David Daniels accused of sexual assault

An up-and-coming baritone singer alleges he was drugged and violently raped in 2010 by two of opera/classical music’s shining stars, David Daniels and Scott Walters.

Daniels, 52, the most famous countertenor in the world, has been a favorite of the Metropolitan Opera, while his now-husband Walters, 36, is a respected conductor.

The couple is so highly regarded that they were married in 2014 by Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Samuel Schultz claims that in 2010, the same couple drugged and raped him following a performance in Texas, leaving him unconscious. He claims that he awoke the next afternoon in a strange bed, disoriented, in pain and bleeding from the rectum.

Schultz, then a 23-year-old graduate student at Rice University, says he was frightened of repercussions and hid the alleged event for years. Emboldened by both the #MeToo movement and upon learning that Daniels had made tenure at the University of Michigan — where he’d be in close personal contact with young aspiring singers — Schultz filed a complaint with the U-M Police Department’s special victims unit in July. Authorities in Michigan, in turn, passed the complaint on to the Houston Police Department.

The investigation is active and no arrests have been made, Houston police said. They declined to provide any further details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2018 10:34 PM

MORE: OF ARTICLE

Schultz told the Daily News and wrote in his complaint that after meeting Daniels and Walters at a closing night party on May 14, 2010, for Houston Grand Opera’s run of “Xerxes,” starring Daniels, he was invited back to a corporate apartment where the couple was staying. Walters told him, Schultz says, to keep the invite a secret because the couple didn't want to cause jealousy among those who weren’t invited.

Schultz, a marathon runner, said he doesn’t normally drink alcohol, but accepted a drink to not cause waves.

He says he only remembers taking a few sips of the drink at the couple’s apartment — and then he blacked out.

He says and wrote in his police complaint that he woke up the next afternoon, “in a bed alone, completely naked. I was sore and I didn’t know why. I made my way to the bathroom to figure out why I hurt. I was bleeding from my rectum. I became numb. I was paralyzed with fear. What had happened? How could I escape? How would I get out? Where were my clothes? I tiptoed out of the bedroom to discover that David and Scott were not there. When they came back from eating somewhere, I think they asked if I had a good time. … I remember David saying, ‘Don’t worry about the BB thing, I’m totally negative.’ BB in this case meant bareback, otherwise known as raping me without a condom.”

Schultz says he called a health center to make an appointment following the encounter, but afraid to admit why he needed to see a doctor, was told he’d have to wait three weeks. By the time of the visit on June 1, all evidence of the alleged rape was gone, but he wanted to make sure he was disease free.

In the days following the alleged assault, he discussed his traumatic experience with Megan Gale, a friend who was then an employee in Rice University's music department.

Gale recalled to The News that Schultz came to her in shock, saying that he was sure he'd been violated and drugged, and that he told her he'd woken naked and bleeding in a strange bed.

Gale says at the time she did not advise Schultz to go to police.

He also visited a therapist within a week of the alleged assault. The therapist — who was given permission by Schultz to speak to The News, but prefers not to be publicly identified — said Schultz shared “specific details” with her, and that the alleged incident greatly affected him.

“His emotional state, his psychological state of mind and functionality were markedly affected,” the therapist said. “He has proceeded over to time to work very hard to address this abuse in an attempt to recover from the impact and has managed to turn this into a cause so that he’s not dragged into hell [by it].”

Schultz posted a heartfelt essay online in July about being raped, but did not identify Daniels or Walters at the time.

“I have been terrified to talk about this publicly… There was a legitimate danger of always destroying my career by reporting someone else’s assault against me,” Schultz wrote in the essay. “Because of this, I have lived with the fear of exclusion and being silenced.”

The essay by Schultz — a former Senate page who has appeared with the Houston Grand Opera, the Santa Fe Opera, the Washington National Opera and the Houston Symphony Orchestra, as well as on the Grammy-winning recording of “Wozzeck” — was met with support from his followers, fans and friends.

“Thank you for your bravery in sharing your story,” one commenter wrote. “I’m so devastated and angry by what happened to you, but grateful you chose to stay positive … you are such a beacon of light and love in so many lives.”

Schultz admits that now telling his story publicly is “absolutely terrifying” and has caused his post-traumatic stress disorder to resurface.

The May 14, 2010, performance of “Xerxes” was the final show of the run at Houston Grand Opera featuring Daniels. Walters — Daniels’ then-boyfriend — posted numerous times on Twitter about spending time in Texas at the time of the alleged encounter.

Rest at previous link

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2018 4:12 PM

Something like this rarely happens just once. If they drugged his drink and had sex with him, they must have done it many times. I'm waiting for others to corroborate.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2018 4:16 PM

People who spike your drink should be publicly flogged.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2018 4:18 PM

[quote]People who spike your drink should be publicly flogged.

At the very least. That's just low, scumbag maggot behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2018 4:29 PM

everyone in this mess is fucking ugly!

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2018 4:30 PM

I don't follow opera. Will this be considered major news?

Thread title should say "rape" instead of sexual assault.

So they went out for breakfast and didn't bring him any?

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2018 5:24 PM

Yes, this is major news in the classical music world! Daniels is widely admired, and was one of the first classical musicians to be out as a gay man for his entire career.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2018 5:29 PM

Daniels is a hot bear

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2018 6:00 PM

Daniels is "the worlds most famous/celebrated counter-tenor"?

Pfft. Maybe, but only since Brian Asawa died.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2018 8:20 PM

Brian Asawa didn’t have 1/100th of the career Daniels did. Daniels is a major star in the opera world. He had records with a major label, has won Grammys, has sung at multiple international venues for many years, and had productions mounted for him at the Met. Asawa never remotely came close to that.

That being said, Daniels has a long standing reputation about sexual proclivities for very nearly underage twinks and prostitutes, and this is known industrywide. I’d never heard of rape before this accusation, but’s he’s definitely played with the boundaries of using his stardom to pick up students that he’s worked with in masterclasses and the like. He’s definitely gotten a lot of side eye for it. In the classical music world this is a very big deal, and he’s going to lose his teaching position at University of Michigan because of it. Other stars of his ilk like Susan Graham are defending him on Facebook while others are backing the baritone (who, by the way, is not a “rising star” - his career is what could be generously described as stalled, but is mostly over.) Daniels’ husband was never a conductor. He’s a real estate agent. They were married by Ruth Bader Ginsburg who is a long standing opera fan and is a friend and fan of his. There are lots of inaccuracies in both the Daily News and Times articles.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2018 12:42 PM

My coworker used to hang in this guy’s social circle when he lived in Atlanta and would always try to impress with tales of “the opera star”. Coworker is an asshole too so no surprise this guy is a sleaze.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2018 12:59 PM

R10, yeah, death tends to have a rather adverse affect on ones career - name one Grammy that Daniels has won.

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2018 12:28 PM

Lol, is there really a Brian Asawa troll on DL? Now I’ve seen everything. His career was over long before his death R12, but you knew that.

Meant to say Grammy NOMINATIONS, of which David Daniels has FOUR and Brian Asawa has ZERO. Mmmkay?

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2018 2:20 PM

[quote]People who spike your drink should be publicly flogged.

If spiking someone's drink = rape, I've been raped twice.

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2018 2:30 PM

It sounds as if the victim has covered all of the bases and that the charges are entirely credible and being taken seriously. It's extra sad if this is a pattern and Daniels (and his spouse) has used his fame to assault people and expected to get away with it. I guess he's the gay Bill Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2018 3:51 PM

Hubbies:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2018 6:39 PM

Ruthie and co.:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2018 6:40 PM

I would think that in the world of opera, Daniels and his hubby would have no problem finding willing partners. Why rape somebody? Was it a power thing?

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2018 6:43 PM

How exactly did Brian Asawa die?

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2018 8:27 PM

Liver failure.

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2018 8:30 PM

Asawa had a hardcore drinking problem because hus career had never panned out the way he expected many years before.

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2018 8:48 PM

Now who’s the Brian Asawa troll r21?

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2018 1:56 AM

Brian Asawa was the first countertenor to sing at the MET, I believe. He was in Handel’s Guilio Cesare with Kathleen Battle and I was there opening night.

The first second he opened his mouth, the audience sort of laughed. By the time he was done, everyone was cheering.

I did like David Daniels and Bejun Mehta better because they had heftier instruments, but I’d rather have mezzos plays those roles, actually.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2018 2:09 AM

Has this storm in a teacup been resolved yet?

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2018 10:07 PM

Maybe these two should join with Jimmy Levine in group therapy. Throw in Peter Martins, Charles Finlay, Placido Domingo and David Geffen. They should open a psychiatric-therapy clinic for sex abusers at Lincoln Center.

The place does strange things to people.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2018 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!