Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A new Vietnamese restaurant opened near me.

What should I order?

by Anonymousreply 102September 3, 2018 4:18 AM

Everything. If you're not familiar with Vietnamese, start with summer rolls and vermicelli bowls with grilled meats.

If they have more than one kind of pho, ask which one is best.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2018 9:13 PM

Order the Cat Rolls with plum sauce.

They're delish!

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2018 9:15 PM

If this is the your first having vietnamese food, then get the Pho.

It is basic, but it is the most famous item from Vietnamese food.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2018 9:16 PM

They have tons on their menu. I'm torn between BBQ chicken, spring roll Vermicelli and vegetable Pho.

How are Vietnamese subs different from regular subs?

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2018 9:24 PM

Chicken with Lemongrass

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2018 9:24 PM

If you like Chinese eggrolls, be sure to try the deep-fried Vietnamese version. They're smaller, but you wrap it in a lettuce leaf and dip it in a sauce. SOoooo much better than a Chinese version. I also really like the spring rolls, which are cold, wrapped in rice paper and usually have shrimp and pork (or sometimes you have order with just pork or other meats).

And Pho, and vermacelli bowls, and pork chops. All amazing. Don't be afraid to try their dessert drinks (like Boba teas). They look odd, but are yummy.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2018 9:25 PM

Don't get a sub. I don't even know what they mean by that.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2018 9:26 PM

I can never get enough mì xào giòn (crispy noodles)

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2018 9:27 PM

Vietnamese subs are called Banh Mi, and are usually made with a fresh baguette, a shrimp spread, various other meats and fresh vegetables. Maybe the best sandwich ever.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2018 9:27 PM

Would those be salad rolls, R6?

I'm not, R7.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2018 9:28 PM

Ah, thanks, R9. They sound delicious.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2018 9:29 PM

All Vietnamese food is delicious. Just work your way down the menu.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2018 9:30 PM

Skip the dog meat.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2018 9:43 PM

[quote]Vietnamese subs are called Banh Mi, and are usually made with a fresh baguette, a shrimp spread, various other meats and fresh vegetables. Maybe the best sandwich ever.

They're delicious, filling but not heavy. Usually made with a small smear of paté to moisten the bread and a very light hand on the meat filling. The rest is cucumber, carrot, cilantro, a bit of jalapeño and various Vietnamese herbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2018 10:13 PM

Banh Mi delish!!!

Also try Bo Kho, it's the Vietnamese version of beef stew; American beef stew is nothing compared to this.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2018 10:23 PM

Cum of Sum Yun Gai.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2018 10:27 PM

Pho is full of salt. Don't live on the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2018 10:31 PM

If you don't know what to order, then you are NOT Vietnamese.

So don't go there.

Never mind that the owners want you there.

Never mind that sharing food is at the heart of the human experience.

Just do as I say.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2018 10:40 PM

Gỏi cuốn

Aka spring rolls, aka salad rolls, aka summer rolls. The ones served cold.

Dip them in either peanut sauce or hoisin sauce, or better yet, hoisin sauce with chopped peanuts in it.

Sometimes mistakenly called "gun gun" in the southeastern U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2018 10:48 PM

Chả giò

Aka fried spring rolls, aka Imperial rolls. The fried ones, served hot.

Served with lettuce and mint. Wrap the mint and lettuce around one.

Unfortunately served with a diluted fish sauce, which smells of rancid fish. Forego that and just dip them in soy sauce or something else instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2018 10:54 PM

I really like Vietnamese food and have enjoyed most of the things mentioned here. Another of my favorites is Lemon Grass Chicken. It is a stir fry of chicken and onions flavored by lemon grass, hot peppers and other spices.

I also like an egg roll salad that many of the Vietnamese restaurants serve. It is a variant of the vermicelli salad (Noodles, lettuce, carrots, daikon, peanuts, bean sprouts and either mint, Thai basil or cilantro) It is topped with two egg rolls and served with fish sauce which I think is delicious and not gross at all.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2018 11:03 PM

Cà phê sữa đá

Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk

The traditional way to serve it is in a tiny drip coffee pot over a glass with sweetened condensed milk. When it has finished dripping, you stir the coffee and milk together, then pour that into a glass of ice. Really delicious and usually quite strong in caffeine.

Because the drip process takes so long, some places offer it ready-made so you can start drinking it right away.

France occupied Vietnam for 100 years, so during that time French bread and rolls became popular (thus the bánh mì sandwiches) and coffee became popular. But fresh milk was rare so condensed milk became the standard for coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2018 11:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2018 11:08 PM

Lemongrass chicken

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2018 11:11 PM

Cơm tay cầm is fried rice baked in a clay pot with spices and other ingredients such as chicken or shrimp, and it has the "five spice" flavor. Really good but not every Vietnamese restaurant has it, because it takes a long time to make. It might be called "clay pot rice" or "earthen pot rice."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2018 11:21 PM

I'd go for the Big Red Snapper.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2018 11:22 PM

My favorites at the Vietnamese place near me are:

BANH MI CHIEN TOM / Shrimp Toast. Two slices of bread with Shrimp paste and butter

GOI CUON / Fresh Spring Rolls, Shredded Lettuce, Carrots, fresh Mint and Rice Vermicelli, combined with a choice of Shredded Chicken, Sliced Pork, Shrimps or a traditional combination of Sliced Pork, and Shrimp, then wrapped into a softened Rice Paper. A low-fat favorite served with peanut dipping sauce.

GOI TOM THIT / Combination Salad. Poached Shrimp and Chicken with shredded Carrots, Cabbage, fresh Mint, roasted Peanuts, Onions and our home-made dressing

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2018 11:27 PM

Their spring rolls.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2018 11:30 PM

[quote]Unfortunately served with a diluted fish sauce, which smells of rancid fish.

Oh, honey--I'm used to it by now.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2018 11:39 PM

Hi. Just got back from Vietnam a couple of weeks ago and all the food was amazing. One thing I loved that I have not seen in many Vietnamese restaurants in the U.S. is bánh xèo. It’s a delicious rice-flour crepe. If you don’t see it on the menu, you could still ask if they can make it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2018 11:40 PM

I'm a vegetarian, and pretty much the only things I can order in a Vietnamese restaurant is pho and spring roll. I live in Nashville, and there are many Vietnamese restaurants, and what I can get is delicious. One thing I particularly love: their coffee!!! Here, it is usually Cafe du Monde with sweetened evaporated milk. It is sweet and delicious.! I don't knwo if that is a Nashville thing, or in Vietnamese restaurants everywhere, but it is pretty spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2018 11:44 PM

r31 Sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated (which is just milk with much of the water removed.)

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2018 11:58 PM

Yes, of course, R32, that's right! And it is delicious!

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2018 12:01 AM

The fresh spring rolls are disgusting. They could benefit from a bath in a hot pot of grease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2018 6:37 AM

You just made me hungry, R34.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2018 1:15 PM

Is Jane Fonda on a tank making fun of captured torchered Americans?

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2018 2:01 PM

She's only at the one I go to on the third Thursday of the month, R36.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2018 2:30 PM

Get the fried spring rolls. To die for.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2018 4:44 PM

Yes, but the fish sauce is to die from.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2018 4:47 PM

Pho

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2018 4:49 PM

And one of the fruit milkshakes.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2018 4:50 PM

If you like fish - get the Cahn Chua. It's a tamarind broth soup with chunks of tomato, okra, pineapple, elephant ear stems and bean sprouts. You should get a bowl of rice to spoon into the sweet and sour broth and a smaller plate with chopped peppers to add to the broth or pour a little fish sauce on to make a spicy/salty dipping sauce for your meat/veggies.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2018 5:08 PM

[quote] torchered Americans

oh DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2018 6:01 PM

I only like food that has not been captured by the Vietnamese.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote] Forego that and just dip them in soy sauce

Ugh. Use the dipping sauce.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2018 6:25 PM

Order the snails.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2018 6:48 PM

r45 I agree. Soy sauce is not a Vietnamese thing at all. I don't get people who say they love Vietnamese food (or Thai or Filipino or Indonesian) but hate fish sauce. Authentic southeast Asian food uses fish sauce as a primary source of saltiness.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2018 6:49 PM

^ (Sorry, I hit enter too quickly.) It's very likely already in the food served to you, not just in the dipping sauces. Besides, with fish sauce you get umami, which you don't get with salt.

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2018 6:51 PM

The only fish sauce that's potent is the fermented kind. The normal kind has a nice taste to it.

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2018 6:51 PM

Bun Boe Hue is good.

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2018 6:53 PM

All fish sauce is fermented; it's how you impart salt with the "fishy" flavour. But, yes, some fish sauce (perhaps what you refer to as the normal kind) is fermented only briefly.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2018 6:54 PM

Pho and Vietnamese sub are the best food in the world, period. 😋

I have to order them today

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2018 6:57 PM

[quote]All fish sauce is fermented; it's how you impart salt with the "fishy" flavour. But, yes, some fish sauce (perhaps what you refer to as the normal kind) is fermented only briefly.

Really really old fish sauce, then. :)

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2018 7:06 PM

r53 Absolutely. I think it ferments for as long as two years or something! The mild ones more like a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2018 7:07 PM

From Cooks Illustrated:

What is Fish Sauce?

To the uninitiated, fish sauce might seem like an odd concept. Like soy sauce, it’s both a condiment and an ingredient, and it’s full of glutamates that enhance flavor in food. But while soy sauce is made from comparatively mild-tasting fermented soybeans and grains, fish sauce gets its signature flavor from something far more potent: fermented anchovies. Manufacturing methods vary among producers, but the basic process is the same: Fresh, whole anchovies are layered with sea salt and left to ferment in vats for at least 12 months. Over time, the fish breaks down and the salty liquid that forms is collected and filtered before bottling. It’s strong stuff with an intense aroma. But there’s a reason that this pungent sauce is a critical component of many Asian cuisines and is becoming increasingly commonplace in American kitchens. It boasts a rich, savory taste and a brininess that brings out depth and flavor in everything from dipping sauces and soups to stir-fries and marinades. How We Tasted Fish Sauce

When we last tasted fish sauce, we deemed all six brands in our lineup acceptable. But recently, when we developed a recipe for chicken braised in a fish sauce–spiked caramel sauce, we noticed significant variations in saltiness and quality among brands. An update was in order. We gathered five products from grocery stores and Asian markets and sampled them over white rice, mixed into a simple Thai dipping sauce, and in our Cook's Illustrated recipe for Vietnamese Caramel Chicken. Look For Higher Protein Content

Every brand was intensely flavored, but the best of these balanced saltiness with a complex, savory taste. Less successful brands were either overwhelmingly salty or unpleasantly “fishy.” Two brands listed “anchovy extract” instead of “anchovy” on their ingredient lists, but one was near the top of our rankings and one at the bottom, so we discounted it as a significant factor. What did turn out to be key was protein content. An independent lab confirmed that our winner contained nearly double or even triple the protein of the other products in our lineup: 20.58 percent protein by weight, compared with 11.44 percent for our runner-up and 7.44 to 8.92 percent for the remaining products. Though this sauce also had the highest sodium level, its abundance of protein kept it from tasting overly salty. Moreover, the other products tended to taste saltier, even though they actually had less sodium than our winner. This sauce was also the only one that didn’t contain sugar.

Our new favorite is the second most expensive option in the lineup, but we think its “rich, meaty depth” and complex flavor are worth a few more pennies per ounce.

------

Their winner was Red Boat Fish Sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2018 7:12 PM

I agree. Red Boat is the best fish sauce.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2018 7:19 PM

Bún bò Huế - I've only had it without the dried pig's blood, but everyone says it's good.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2018 7:30 PM

You’ll need to keep all your pets safely indoors now.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2018 7:34 PM

Why, are there Irish people outside waiting to make stew out of them, R58?

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2018 7:48 PM

It's the stupid American food trend du jour.

Just like all other ethnic cuisines were, that preceded them.

It'll fade away eventually. Just like all the others.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2018 8:35 PM

Peking Duck, and some Saki to wash it down.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2018 8:38 PM

Peking duck = Chinese, sake = Japanese. Or do you generalize everything as "Oriental"? Go away.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2018 8:41 PM

Triggered humorless SJW alert coming from the basement of R62!

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2018 8:44 PM

Keep KaPhopectate on hand.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2018 9:08 PM

R59=30 Stockton Yellow Bag Lady

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2018 9:11 PM

And then?

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2018 9:58 PM

And then leave a modest tip.

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2018 10:00 PM

Aaaaaaaand then?

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2018 10:05 PM

R60, Vietnamese cuisine is more than just a food trend. Look at it's history.

by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2018 10:06 PM

Fish sauce for dipping is usually mixed in with ginger, scallions, pepper, and sugar so that there's very little if any fishy taste. It's a very dense source of glutamates, which gives food that great umami savoryness. It adds the same richness to the broths in Pho and other Vietnamese soups and sauces. Don't sell yourself short by avoiding it.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2018 6:08 AM

Do NOT touch that fish sauce. It is disgusting. And the way it's made is disgusting. Use some other sauce.

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2018 6:12 AM

Stay way from the cat.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2018 6:19 AM

Mi xao toi- a garlic noodle dish that I have dreams about if I go to long without having a bowl.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2018 6:35 AM

The fish sauce is fine. Please don't dump soy sauce on everything like a fucking mangia cake

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2018 6:39 AM

[quote]Stay way from the cat.

Stay away from R72 and his low rent mother's M&M based repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2018 6:40 AM

HAHAHAHA

Eating cat jokes so velly funny! Pwease do more of them!

Joke never get old.

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2018 6:45 AM

Obviously DL old crones were raised in beef Wellington households. Nevertheless, they type as having foodstamp backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2018 10:00 PM

Banh mi!

by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2018 10:04 PM

Vietnamese BION, are cleaner and have better hygiene than Chinese or Filipino people. This includes their restaurants thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2018 10:07 PM

I worked with a Vietnamese man and he told me that his family made the dipping sauce with 1/3 Fish Sauce, 1/3 rice vinegar & 1/3 water. The add a small amount of shredded carrot, green onion & Ginger.

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2018 11:25 PM

R79 = John/PMBT

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2018 11:26 PM

R80 you got it right

by Anonymousreply 82August 25, 2018 2:17 AM

I love Vietnamese salads, lots of fresh herbs and crunchy Julienne veggies.

by Anonymousreply 83August 25, 2018 2:24 AM

[quote] veggies

Ugh. Almost as bad as “veg”.

by Anonymousreply 84August 25, 2018 2:55 AM

Banh mi

Grilled Pork Vermicelli

Spring rolls

Pho

and French-Vietnamese pastries for dessert

by Anonymousreply 85August 25, 2018 2:57 AM

And then?

by Anonymousreply 86August 25, 2018 3:00 AM

Fried Golden Retriever

by Anonymousreply 87August 25, 2018 3:01 AM

lol R87.

"taste like chicken!"

by Anonymousreply 88August 25, 2018 3:04 AM

rotfl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 25, 2018 11:04 PM

Love beef pho. There’s a Vietnamese restaurant across the street from me and I get it all the time. Once, when I was home sick from the flu, I ordered takeout from them. Beef pho. When they delivered it to me, I took it to the kitchen and pulled the ingredients out of the bag. Imagine my surprise to see that the beef was raw!! I called the restaurant and told them that they sent me uncooked food! The woman on the line calmly explained that the beef had to be placed into the hot broth, let me tell you how embarrassed I was...we had a good laugh over it.

by Anonymousreply 90August 26, 2018 1:15 PM

Pho is surprisingly easy and good to make at home. It takes some time to make the bone broth and finding a few unusual ingredients, but if you have an Asian market available, it's not difficult.

by Anonymousreply 91August 27, 2018 8:48 PM

Bangh Mi Ass Pho Shure

by Anonymousreply 92August 27, 2018 8:58 PM

It's the 3000 mg of sodium that makes pho so tasty.

by Anonymousreply 93August 27, 2018 9:01 PM

They call it the special of the day but it's usually just strays.

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2018 12:54 AM

You need to cook the bones for at least 10 hours to get all the flavors out, it has to be gelatin-ey and that just takes time.

The bone broth is infused with fennel, aniseed, cardamon and cloves and some other herbs and spices.

I usually get it with raw beef, noodles, bean sprouts, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil and lemon wedges. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2018 8:33 AM

Spend the night close to a private bathroom with plenty of toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2018 8:50 AM

R96 staying in his parents’ basement for the last 40 years

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2018 9:15 AM

This makes me absolutely desperate to try Vietnamese cuisine. Unfortunately I live in a small, unsophisticated area of Florida with few Asian immigrants, so there are no restaurants. Perhaps the next time I am in Orlando I can experience this yummy sounding food.

by Anonymousreply 98August 31, 2018 10:37 AM

Tender chicken, OP. Oh, wait, I see you have already ordered!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 31, 2018 11:13 AM

R15, thanks for the recommendation about Bo Ko. Tried it at one of my regular Pho haunts and it really is good. The combo of stew meat and carrot with other normal Pho garnishes made for a much richer broth than just typical Pho - didn't have to add any hoisin to add depth.

by Anonymousreply 100August 31, 2018 1:27 PM

Crispy Pancakes are among my favs, also Pho and spicy noodle soups. Love Vietnamese food!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 3, 2018 4:17 AM

And then?

by Anonymousreply 102September 3, 2018 4:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!