Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lupe Velez's suicide

Why did she do it?

She was still quite young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2018 8:29 AM

Oh, you know, probably over some guy.....

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 4:54 AM

She was pregnant. The babydaddy wouldn't marry her, she thought abortion was long, and an out of wedlock pregnancy would have killed what was left of her career. Plus she was getting too old to be a starlet, soon she'd age out of her job, and would have to face the ordeal of supporting a kid as an unemployed and unemployable has-been.

Any other questions?

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 4:56 AM

The "babydaddy" as you call him had agreed to marry her for proprietys sake. She was well acustomed to being past the starlet stage. She lived passionately. She died on her own terms.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 5:20 AM

She was funny in Mexican Spitfire.

I really don't understand why she didn't do more Mexican cinema. Dolores Del Rio had a great career in Mexico after leaving Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 5:22 AM

I read she was a bitch did she ever meet fellow bitch Miss Lessuer?

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 5:24 AM

Was the babydaddy the Tidy-Bowl man?

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 5:26 AM

She was probably borderline. A lot of actresses are. Hello Angelina! You take care now...

Not only will around 70 percent of those diagnosed with BPD attempt suicide, but around 8 percent to 10 percent will succeed in taking their own lives.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 5:29 AM

I thought she did great in Zandunga opposite hottie Arturo De Cordova. I love the Southern Mexican culture which most Americans don't know about. I know this is an insult to Lupe, but she reminds me of Eva Longoria. lol

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 5:34 AM

Zandunga, don't tell me she doesn't look like Longoria....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 5:42 AM

She slept around a lot and got pregnant and none of the potential fathers wanted to hook up with her the long term. She was seen just as a good lay, party girl. They’re no fun pregnant and growing old.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 5:46 AM

Were there actresses who didn't sleep around? Marjorie Main?

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2018 6:12 AM

Marie Dressier: NYMPHO

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2018 6:17 AM

She was also age 36 and had been making films for about two decades.

It was unlikely her star was going to climb higher. She was on her way down, and hadn't risen that far to begin with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2018 6:55 AM

Murder, most foul.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2018 12:45 PM

Bitch was always envious of my career.

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2018 3:56 PM

Was she the one that drowned vomiting in the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2018 3:58 PM

r9 are you kidding? She looks nothing like Eva. She's pale with angular features. Eva's tan with more rounded features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2018 4:56 PM

She looks like Eva to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2018 5:01 PM

Errol Flynn fucked her. But then so did most the Hollywood studs of the day .

Lupe wasn’t exactly marriage material. So any baby she shad would be doomed to be a bastard.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 5:06 PM

I can't remember a single film she was in.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2018 6:44 PM

Little Latin Lupe Lu. There was a pic of the baby daddy, Harold Ramond, in one of the Hollywood Babylon books. He was standing in front of her coffin looking downcast. (and relieved.) A very handsome boy toy type.

Found it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2018 7:02 PM

I think younger generations became acquainted with her and the toilet-related suicide through Frasier. At least I did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2018 7:07 PM

Or "The Simpsons"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2018 8:19 PM

Got to 2:23 for the Lupe Velez reference in the above video.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2018 8:21 PM

Good Lord! I just took a look at her Wiki page and the woman was voracious and volatile. She had just about every notable man of the era, including the author All Quiet on the Western Front. And poor Gary Cooper. Wasn't he known as a mild mannered guy?

[quote]the rocky relationship had taken its toll on Cooper who had lost 45 pounds and was suffering from nervous exhaustion. Paramount Pictures ordered him to take a vacation to recuperate. While he was boarding the train, Vélez showed up at the train station and fired a pistol at him.[33]

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2018 8:52 PM

^I should have said notable men in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2018 8:58 PM

This is the one that actually drowned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2018 12:38 AM

R6, fuck you're old! Even I had to look that one up! Hopefully all your junk still works and your toes haven't shifted like tectonic plates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2018 12:57 AM

The drowned-in-the-toilet story is a Kenneth Anger fabrication. He made up a lot of stuff in that lurid Hollywood Babylon book.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2018 1:27 AM

R28, not R6, but since that commercial was in the late 70's, that means R6 may only be in his 40's. Is that "old"?

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2018 1:28 AM

R28 is 13 years old.

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2018 8:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!