Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I love stills from old movies.

Reminds me of old movie magazines and the days when they were all you had to look at until the movie you wanted to see was released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2018 6:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 3:56 AM

me too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 4:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 8:11 AM

But do they love YOU?

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 8:32 AM

It's depressing that people think of "An Unmarried Woman" as an old movie.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 4:06 PM

I used to collect movie stills as a kid and subsequently worked at a memorabilia store near Hollywood and Vine. I still have a lot of my stills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 4:16 PM

I remember when cell pictures from cartoons used to be a big deal. They were usually very expensive, too.

I guess the internet has killed that market, too.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 4:30 PM

[quote]It's depressing that people think of "An Unmarried Woman" as an old movie.

Hon, it's forty years old. I think it passes for old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 5:08 PM

Some of these pictures are actually "Lobby Cards" - they'd be in the foyer of the cinema where the film was showing. Often you'd decide to see a movie based on their appeal. I know I used to.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 5:11 PM

a lobby card from on old, vintage classic from the bygone era of moving pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 5:28 PM

There would be a set of black and white stills, set of color Lobby cards, pressbook, one-sheet posters, half sheets, soundtrack albums, movie tie-in paperbacks, countless magazine clippings and sometimes a cardboard standee. I don't know if anyone owns all for, say, An Unmarried Woman, but if they did they'd be considered a pretty avid fan of the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2018 5:34 PM

The photos and 2 lobby cards framed with the movie poster outside was always intriguing. You’d look at it before entering the theatre and then again afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2018 5:36 PM

[quote]here would be a set of black and white stills, set of color Lobby cards, pressbook, one-sheet posters, half sheets, soundtrack albums, movie tie-in paperbacks, countless magazine clippings and sometimes a cardboard standee. I don't know if anyone owns all for, say, An Unmarried Woman, but if they did they'd be considered a pretty avid fan of the film.

I've got a press release. The LP. The VHS. The novelisation...and several copies of the DVD (which was wise of me as they're now very rare).

I think that's it.

If this outs me as a homosexual, I don't care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2018 5:44 PM

Sometimes the pics were so dreary. I mean how would THIS draw someone into the theater?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2018 5:47 PM

I remember admiring all the displayed lobby cards and poster after going to see The Towering Inferno with my parents. They had programs for sale too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2018 5:48 PM

R13 I was lucky enough to have scored a used copy of the soundtrack album with all of this stuffed inside...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2018 5:51 PM

This might just be the Holy Grail for Unmarried Woman collectors..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2018 5:53 PM

There used to be a place in Toronto called "Consolidated Theatre Services" that provided posters and lobby cards for all the movie theatres and if you called ahead, members of the public could go in and buy stuff. I ended up buying a poster of "Shampoo" and a lobby card of Peter O'Toole from Lawrence of Arabia. They had tons of classic film cards and posters so I wish I had purchased more.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2018 5:56 PM

r8 I know, but it's still depressing that any movie you saw as an adult (first-run) is considered "old." I'm 65; "old movies" to me are ones from my parents' generation.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 5:57 PM

How amazing, R16 - I wonder who it originally belonged to.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2018 5:57 PM

[quote]I remember admiring all the displayed lobby cards and poster after going to see The Towering Inferno with my parents. They had programs for sale too.

I rarely got a program. But the few I had, I loved....and examined and re-examined ad nauseam.

Did they have "intervals" in the USA? When an ice-cream lady would appear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2018 6:02 PM

I used to collect old stills of noir dolls with guns. Unfortunately I don't have this one, which is Betty Lou Gerson in "Red Menace". What surprised me about her when I looked her up is that she was the voice of Cruella de Ville in the original Disney cartoon. She was born in Tennessee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2018 6:08 PM

I have TONS of movie stills I collected from 1970 on - all originals - that I bought for 0.20 to 0.40 cents each. I'm in the process of airing them out to get the cigarette smoke smell off them (yes, that works).

I collected current movies (The Godfather, Funny Girl, The Graduate, Chinatown, Murder on the Orient Express), and the classics like the one below. Back then, still from classic movies were LESS expensive believe it or not. I can't believe these are selling on eBay now for $30-50 each.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2018 6:16 PM

There are a lot of cool posters for auction on emovieposter but they end up selling for astronomical prices.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2018 6:23 PM

The Wild One

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2018 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!