Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Childbirth

Everyone talks about childbirth from the mother's perspective, but if you really stop and think about it, the whole process is probably most terrifying from the perspective of the child. Seriously. It is a good thing we don't remember it, because I feel quite certain that it is the most traumatic thing most of us will ever endure.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 4:54 AM

You remember it do you?

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 3:55 AM

Some people do remember their births. I’m too lazy to google it, but I don’t think they recall it as terrifying. People who are able to remember things from before they had language tend to just remember sensations. If it’s the dawn of your consciousness, you have neither language, expectations, or experience to amplify or contextualize what’s happening. So it’s a string of somewhat objective, or at least affectless, sensations/visuals/sounds you noticed.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 4:25 AM

Oh I see. You want to take this from us, too. Fuck off. clueless male.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 4:30 AM

[quote]Some people do remember their births.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 4:40 AM

I’m with you, OP. Imagine what it must feel like to be squeezed for hours, your head used as a battering ram. It’s terrifying if you think about it. And an infant is capable of feeling fear even if it doesn’t have language yet.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 4:43 AM

Exactly, you have to learn to instantly adjust to a completely foreign environment, totally unlike (if not the exact opposite of) anything you have known prior to that moment. You have to learn to instantly adjust to:

light other people loud noises and sounds different textures

And to top it all off, you have to suddenly learn how to fucking BREATHE.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 4:48 AM

R6, I don't think a baby has to learn to breathe, I think instink kicks in immediately. I can't imagine what that first breath of air feels like.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 4:50 AM

R5 the babies head is not in the birth canal for hours. The hours of contractions are the mother's body preparing for the baby to come out.

Babies can see some light and hear some sounds in the womb. Dimmed and muffled of course. I think the worst part for the newborn is the temperature. Amniotic fluid is the perfect consistent temperature. The outside world is not.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!