Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Re - defrosting butter.

I took it out of the freezer. Can I defrost it in the fridge? Or should I just leave it out?

I didn't even know I could freeze butter until recently (from DL) - but I forgot to ask about this.

TIA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 5:28 AM

Leave it in the fridge unless you're going to use it soon, say within the next 8 hours.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 12:32 AM

OK. Thanks, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 12:34 AM

Why would you need to freeze butter? It lasts for a couple months in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 12:44 AM

I'll add that most Americans refrigerate butter, but it's not necessary if your home is maintained at a comfortable temperature. In the old days, before central air, you'd have a mess on your hands if you left butter unrefrigerated, and you'd risk having it turn rancid. I have a covered butter dish that sits on the counter. It's nice to be able to spread the butter on the morning's toast. On the other hand, if you're planning to use the butter to make pastry, you definitely want it refrigerated.

R3, I freeze butter because I normally buy it at Costco, where it comes bundled-wrapped so that you're buying several pounds of butter at a time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 12:50 AM

Sit it on the counter and watch an episode 'Coffee Talk with Linda Richman'. It's like buttah. Watch it melt.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 12:57 AM

70 views?

LOL

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 1:09 AM

I always buy extra butter and freeze it when it's cheap (prices fluctuate a lot and I do a lot of baking.) What you do with it after you take it out of the freezer depends on how you're going to use it. You can soften or melt it in the microwave, or just let it come to fridge temperature in the refrigerator. Remember that unsalted butter doesn't keep as long as salted butter.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 1:44 AM

Salted butter doesn't need to be refrigerated. That was the original purpose of salting the butter, to presrve it. Unless you use a pat of it only once a month, that stick of butter can sit in your butter dish for a week or so.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 1:45 AM

Who goes though a stick of butter in a week?

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 2:13 AM

There was a great bit on Everybody loves Raymond where Ray and Debra are at a restaurant and they’re looking for anything to talk about....finally they start talking about the bread and butter, and how the butter is the perfect temperature slash density. Cool (so you know it’s not rancid) yet spreadable. Butter is almost always too fucking frozen in restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 2:23 AM

R9 Is that you Jeffery?

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2018 2:46 AM

Me R9. I go through two at least.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2018 2:52 AM

A butter crock (beurrier) keeps butter fresh longer at room temperature. It's designed to keep butter submerged in water while sitting on your counter.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2018 2:53 AM

I don't use a whole lot of butter, but occasionally, I make Hollandaise sauce, or bake a quiche, and then I use plenty of butter. For Hollandaise, I melt the butter in the microwave, but for a quiche crust, I keep it refrigerated until right before I create the dough, and then put the dough back into the refrigerator after rolling out the dough, to let it rest. If you want soft, spreadable butter, but you're afraid to leave it out on the counter, you can bring it to room temperature, put it in a mixing bowl, and whisk an equal amount of olive oil into it, then put it in a covered container, and put it in the fridge. It will remain soft and spreadable. BTW, that 'butter flavor' they add to microwave popcorn actually comes from rancid butter, not fresh butter. When I have access to plenty of nice vegetables, I do use quite a bit of butter, since it makes vegetables like fresh peas, steamed broccoli and braised lettuce especially delicious.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2018 2:59 AM

That butter I posted a pic of "President" - comes in that plastic container which seems to keep the butter perfectly for easy spreading straight from the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2018 3:08 AM

[quote]A butter crock (beurrier) keeps butter fresh longer at room temperature. It's designed to keep butter submerged in water while sitting on your counter.

I used to use one of those, but the butter kept falling into the water.

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2018 3:36 AM

Never had that happen to me, r16, and I've had one for many years. Maybe your butter wasn't soft enough when you slapped it on, or maybe it wasn't packed well enough.

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2018 3:43 AM

If you're going to spread butter on toast, bagel, etc, please use good salted European butter. Life is too short to use ordinary butter.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2018 3:53 AM

R18 I love Kerri butter, I think better than President.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 5:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!