Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Silent Treatment

Do you give it? How do you respond when you get it? Is it always a sign of emotional immaturity?

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2018 2:05 AM

How is the silent treatment different than ghosting? Is the silent treatment done in person only?

If it's done over a rectifiable situation that only requires communication to fix then, yes, that's emotional immaturity. Sometimes, though, when someone is stuck in a situation where they've been treated like crap but can't get out of it and they have no power to change the circumstances (like a work situation), then I think the silent treatment is fine as long as any actually work-related communication is kept short and professional. There is no requirement to engage in small talk or banter or give anything other than simple, few word answers in that situation, at least until you can remove yourself from it.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 7:24 PM

I'm thinking less of ghosting and more of the silent treatment within the context of a relationship, r1 -- friendship, familial, or romantic.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 7:30 PM

Ohhhhhh! "The Silent Treatment"

This is my favorite game! Nobody freezes harder or faster than !!

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 7:30 PM

I think the silent treatment is okay short-term in those kinds of relationships, R2, but usually only when it's needed to get the idea that there's a problem through the thick skull of a narcissist or egomaniac. They don't listen anyway but they sure seem to pay attention when they think they've lost your attention. When you stop responding to them, they get it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 7:33 PM

Good observation, r4

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 7:36 PM

It’s a no-win. Tell them why you’re upset, then leave the door open for communication but state your boundaries, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 7:38 PM

Only way to deal with a psychopath. Do not engage.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 7:55 PM

[crickets]

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 7:59 PM

I tell the person that I don't know what he/she is upset about and I won't know if he/she won't talk to me. I continue to talk to them but after anything I say, I pause and wait for a reply. If I don't get one, I finish with "...or are you still not talking to me?" One could argue that that's just a different kind of passive-agressiveness but at least I make it clear that I'm open to communication. It works well enough.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2018 7:59 PM

Not in my private life, but I have a few times at work. When you work with people who will go to Human Resources over any possible perceived slight, it's better not to give them any ammunition by conversing with them.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2018 8:00 PM

My mother does it and I hate it. I'm the only one of her four children who takes care of her, but she still pulls that shit. Sometimes it's something I did, but most of the time I eventually find out it had nothing to do with me. I try now to just ask her once and then let her stew, but it still hurts.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2018 8:10 PM

I sometimes do it when I am in such a rage that I am unable to express my problem unemotionally. I will be mite and try to be alone u til I calm down - sometimes the problem goes away completely because I realize it was my own emotional,overreaction. Sometimes it is better left unsaid - like when my elderly mother acts needy or crosses boundaries and I feel like cursing her out.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2018 9:04 PM

I would much prefer the silent treatment to a never ending argument.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2018 9:26 PM

I used to give people the silent treatment when I was mad at them.

And then I turned 11 and realized it was kind of baby-ish

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2018 9:27 PM

Silent treatment is passive aggressive behavior.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2018 9:29 PM

People act crazy now. It's the only way sometimes. ESPECIALLY when they keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 9:36 PM

I have a partner who is an expert at it. I call it "the Laura Petrie treatment".

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 9:41 PM

Are you a teen girl, OP? Real men have no clue what "the silent treatment" is.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 10:43 PM

Purposely not talking to someone out of anger or spite is what children do. When I see adults do this, I have no sympathy for them. Though, saying that, I've had to get a very close friend out of my life due to his self-destructive behavior. Drugs and out of control (unsafe) sex. I've tried to talk with him about it, but he says nothing is wrong. It just made me so sad to see him dissolve into someone I don't know anymore. I should have told him I couldn't see him anymore, but thought a gradual parting of the ways might be best. As it think about it, probably benefited me more than him.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 11:24 PM

Agree with R4 and R16. I come from a family of crazies and it's the only way to deal with them sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2018 12:19 AM

[quote]Are you a teen girl, OP? Real men have no clue what "the silent treatment" is.

You've got to be kidding. Men invented this shit. They walk around silently brooding for days. You ask them what's wrong and get no answer. Some of them actually pout. They are the biggest babies there are.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2018 1:37 AM

My BPD ex was queen of the silent treatment. Not a day went by where she didn't give me the silent treatment for a completely innocuous comment. Worst relationship I've ever been in.

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2018 2:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!