Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charlie's Angels - Exploiting Women? or Empowering Women?

Watch below for Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith & Cheryl Ladd defend the show then discuss below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2018 4:35 AM

any1?

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2018 12:39 AM

I always thought the whole argument about "Charlie's Angels" being so-called "jiggle" TV was pretty silly. How was their wearing bikinis any different than say Starsky and Hutch or Baretta or The Six Million Dollar Man wearing tight jeans or always having their shirts open showing off their chests? That happened quite frequently as I recall but the critics never demeaned those shows with terms like "beef" TV. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2018 12:49 AM

[quote]How was their wearing bikinis any different than say Starsky and Hutch or Baretta or The Six Million Dollar Man wearing tight jeans or always having their shirts open showing off their chests?

If you have to ask, this is not the board for you.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2018 12:51 AM

So far the majority say the show EMPOWERED women!

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2018 12:52 AM

R3, if that's your idea of snark, you need to go back to the drawing board.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2018 12:54 AM

Empowering, I think. In the 70s, the only other woman fighting crime on TV that I recall was Nancy Drew and she was usually saved by the police in the end. Charlie's Angels usually caught the criminals themselves. I was a kid at the time, and I thought the show was ground-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2018 12:55 AM

There was Police Woman with Angie Dickinson

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2018 1:01 AM

R7 I used to watch that too. How could I forget?

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2018 1:09 AM

Police Woman frequently had to be rescued by her cop boyfriend. However, Charlie's Angels ALWAYS caught the bad guys BY THEMSELVES.

I voted "Empowered Women".

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2018 3:27 PM

Fuck your post. Why didn’t you use a picture of the original Angels? Farrah should not be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2018 3:36 PM

I'm watching the second episode in a row right now that hasn't shown an inch of body flesh on any of the Angels. Today's episode even let one angel's grandmother help deceive and subdue a bad guy after lecturing her granddaughter on writing her off as "too old" to get involved. Also Bosley doesn't really do anything but act as a sounding board for the angels' ideas. I vote empowerment.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2018 11:20 PM

Also, Julie on the Mod Squad who never really do anything except get rescued.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2018 11:24 PM

It exploited empowered women.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2018 1:37 AM

It exploited women, but for the time it was kind of empowering too if you were looking for it, (which I was).

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2018 1:41 AM

I remember Angie Dickinson in "Police Woman" being much more of a sex object than the Angels.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2018 4:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!