Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone else leave their apartment door unlocked when they're at home?

A friend recently spent a night at my place and she was shocked I didn't lock the door before we went to sleep. She was even more shocked when I told her I usually leave the door unlocked if I have some errands nearby to run as well (those that take less than 45 minutes).

I live in small town and our apartment building has only 6 flats (and I know all of my neighbors) so I guess I feel protected enough by the locked building door downstairs. Should I be grateful I live in such a safe environment or am I just asking for trouble?

by Anonymousreply 133August 23, 2018 1:49 PM

No I lock up OP.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 12:55 PM

She’s dead now

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 12:55 PM

Being from New York City, I would never leave it unlocked.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 1:04 PM

I often watch clips about stalkers and serial killers who target gay men: lock up. Also plenty of drug addicts in the suburb next to mine: lock.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 1:10 PM

How difficult is it to take the 15 seconds it takes to lock your door, no matter how safe a place it is. It’s just a quick effort to prevent any possible problems. My BF leaves the keys to the car in the car when we visit his family in a small town and it sort of drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 1:35 PM

In the suburbs or x-urbs, you leave your doors open in case a neighbor or visitor needs your bathroom. It's not as if there are public toilets everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 1:39 PM

OP is an episode of an ID Discovery show waiting to happen...

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 1:45 PM

If I leave my for less than two or three weeks I leave the doors to my house and my workshop unlocked in case a neighbour needs to borrow something or use a power tool. If I'm gone for a month or more the people next door have a key. They walk through on a regular basis to make sure a pipe hasn't frozen, a bear hasn't broken in or a rogue wave hasn't washed away the boathouse.

Guess what? I don't live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 1:53 PM

It is odd that you do not lock your door-- why would you want to take that risk?? Seems like you do it only for the reason you can say that you do not- makes zero sense. Mary!

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2018 2:17 PM

I thought this was common amongst craigslist and grindr users.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2018 2:20 PM

OP you in danger gurl!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2018 2:56 PM

LOL It's cute how angry this makes people. OP you're just doing this to offend us, right??

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2018 3:51 PM

OP's apartment is chock FULL of tiny little UNDETECTABLE IP cameras catching everything do down. The chubby guy with glasses and a comb-over down the hall is furiously masturbating as he watches you do your thing. Dummy!

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2018 3:55 PM

I am unconcerned.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2018 3:57 PM

I leave both front and back open, lights and fans on - whatever the state is when I have to run out and do errands, usually back in a couple of hours. Do not lock doors at night. Only when we go on vacation do we lock the doors. We live in a resort community in a city that has some rough spots - but our neighborhood is fairly isolated and patrolled by police fairy frequently. Our mail carrier walks in and leaves mail and packages in our front room for us - she's a sweetheart. I probably should be more careful nowadays as the deplorable are emboldened.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2018 4:00 PM

R13 Aka Sliver.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 4:05 PM

Always locked: every door, every window. The alarm system armed at night.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 4:07 PM

OP: Don't be stupid. You can leave your door unlocked while you're at home during the DAY. Lock your door while at home when you're sleeping. And if you leave the house to do errands, lock your door. Don't be stupid.

My sister and her family live in a small town and don't lock the door during the day or when she runs out to do errands. She doesn't lock her car either sitting in the driveway. Dumb move in my opinion. However, she does lock her door when she goes to sleep at night. She thinks I'm crazy when I lock the doors when I'm visiting her and we run out to do errands. I also lock my car at her house. If she wants to leave hers unlocked, I think it's unwise.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 4:15 PM

My doors have always locked automatically. Isn't that more typical?

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 4:18 PM

I had a house out in the country and didn't lock my doors. I came home to find my house had been robbed. There wasn't much worth stealing except my new flat screen monitor and the few power tools I had. There were several home break-ins that summer in the area so I don't think locking the door would of mattered but I did afterwards.

I now live on the fourth floor of a condo and always lock my doors at night or if I'm going away for more than a couple of hours. There was one time someone got off on the wrong floor and walked in on me while I was masterbating.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2018 4:20 PM

Take it from me - my God the factual stories that I could tell! LOCK........YOUR.......DOORS.......AND.........WINDOWS.........AT..........ALL.........TIMES.

We are living in the technological era. All anyone needs to render your right to privacy null and void for ever more is at least a half hour in your home while you're away. Don't be stupid.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2018 4:25 PM

I have expensive figurines. I always keep my doors locked.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2018 4:28 PM

I live in Illinois. Anyone who steals my shit deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2018 4:53 PM

I live in a three-unit building. Lower unit is the landlady’s. Upper unit occupied by two young guys. I’m in the middle unit. The guys upstairs routinely leave the building’s front door unlocked. It drives me nuts. Even after the landlady circulated a memo about random neighborhood break-ins and attempted break-ins, they continued leaving the door unlocked. This is not the countryside.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2018 5:06 PM

Burglars are in and out in 5 min. They go to your night table, steal whatever is in there (usually cash, credit cards, jewelry), master bath / closet (jewelry). And medication. They'll take all medication, regardless of what it is and sort it out later. And, they'll grab any laptops and phones they can find. It's not worth leaving a door unlocked to have to deal with the aftermath of that.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2018 5:23 PM

I don't get the logic (illogical) of the question. If you had a baby, would you leave it in eye sight of the Walmart greeter when you went shopping at Walmart for an hour or so? Do you leave your dog in your car when it's 95 degrees outside? Do you let your twelve year old hang out in biker bars? NO! Of course not!

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2018 5:27 PM

[quote]Do you let your twelve year old hang out in biker bars? NO! Of course not!

What if the kid is an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2018 5:34 PM

In the $$$ suburb where I grew up, every summer we'd get a note from the local police warning people not to go away on vacation and leave their car keys in their cars because there had been a spate of car thefts from people who had done just that.

You'd think people would learn, but my dad just mentioned that yet again, the same email went out.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2018 5:40 PM

I always lock my door, but my young neighbor does not. He happens to be gay, but the previous young tenants (also in their 20s and straight) didn't lock it either, so it's not a gay or straight thing. LOL.

I know one day he's going to come home, find he's cleaned out and probably think it was me. (And no, I've never gone into his apartment when he wasn't home.)

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 5:41 PM

Growing up in small town Texas in the 80's, no one ever locked their doors. It was fairly common for the homeowner to return and find us neighborhood kids playing in their house. This stopped in the early naughts when some guy dragged a schoolgirl into someone's unlocked home and raped her while the homeowner was out running errands

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 5:42 PM

R26 You took a wrong turn somewhere on the interweb and landed here on our GAY site where nobody gives a fuck about your frauisms.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2018 5:45 PM

Always lock up. I live in a very safe town with one of the lowest crime rates in my state but burglaries still happen. Usually teenage boys are the thieves. Their method is to get in through unlocked garage side doors or unlocked window or they break a lock. It happened to my elderly parents and they felt so upset and violated. One time, ONE TIME, I left my car unlocked out front and someone emptied the contents of my glove compartment onto the street. IMO there are criminals everywhere waiting to pounce on trusting and innocent people to take advantage.

It's also my theory that for every human action there is a corresponding criminal action. Just answering your phone and giving info to the wrong person can make your life hell.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2018 5:49 PM

I used to be an assistant apartment manager, and there were times I'd get off on the wrong floor, and end up in the wrong apartment, and have to quickly exit and retrace my tracks. So I always locked my apartment door, and still lock my home and car doors, religiously.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 5:54 PM

OP, lock it up. I even keep my door locked when I am home. Strange, sad shit goes on every day. We always think it will never happen to us, until it does. What is that saying? Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2018 5:55 PM

Please read up about the crimes of the Golden Gate Killer – you will lock your doors after that, no matter where you live.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2018 5:55 PM

I have to protect my Joan Crawford memorabilia.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2018 5:56 PM

In my small city (murder rate virtually zero, burglary is what you have to watch out for), in a well-off neighborhood, burglaries happen in the daytime when people are at work. Or someone can be home with the door unlocked and a thief enters the front door, steals whatever is in sight without the occupant out back in the kitchen even hearing him. So yes, lock up at all times.

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2018 6:03 PM

This is the stupidest question ever. Why in the world WOULDN'T you lock your doors, not only when you are away from home but when you ARE home as well? How much effort does that take to turn a knob/key?

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2018 6:04 PM

What is the point of being a scary gay if I can't lure misguided, 18yo+ wayward youts into my lair to torture musically with opera?

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2018 6:10 PM

Ex bf on West 50th St locked everything except the widow on the fore escape. Guy who came in stabbed him 17 times. Remember the massive scar across his back and torso and the knife scars. He was quiet boy from the midwest. Take no chances OP

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2018 6:15 PM

If you have health problems and live alone you might want to leave the doors unlocked in case EMTs ever need to get in.

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2018 6:31 PM

OP leaves his doors unlocked thinking all the Grindr twinks he fantasizes over will actually show up.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2018 6:51 PM

I douche, lube up, unlock the door and lie down on the bed with my ass up.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2018 7:09 PM

OP is desperate to be a rape victim but she might get murdered too.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2018 7:14 PM

[quote]In the suburbs or x-urbs, you leave your doors open in case a neighbor or visitor needs your bathroom.

I grew up in the suburbs in the ‘80s and ‘90s and have never heard of anything like this.

R41, EMTs will break down a door or break a window if they have to. It’s a normal part of the job.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2018 7:43 PM

One might know everyone of their neighbors, but do you know everyone coming and going from their homes? Lock up, someone maybe casing your place.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2018 8:04 PM

I would never leave my door unlocked. I had a previous apartment where this crazy B got inside. Granted it was a downtown location and she may have been a homeless person, but still. It was a secured building, but somehow she managed to get inside and up to my apt. on the 17th floor. Started banging on my door like crazy and tried to open the door. If it hadn't been locked she would have been inside. Freaked me out because it sounded like she was using a key.

I don't know how she got inside, but she did.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2018 8:18 PM

Growing up in a small town during the 80s, no one locked their doors during the daytime. I didn't even have a house key. I remember the maid locking me out one day while my parents were in Hawaii and I had to break a window to get inside.

The only time doors were locked were at bedtime and if we left town. However, I would watch a lot of horror films on HBO as a teen and get scared and lock all the doors.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2018 12:32 AM

We lock the front door of our house but not the back.

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2018 1:16 AM

I have ever since I read an interview with a serial killer who said he liked to walk around neighborhoods looking for an open window or an unlocked door.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2018 1:24 AM

I absolutely don't.

I have two friends (a couple) who sometimes don't lock. Their reasoning being that no one would steal anything on their floor as they're all old people who keep to themselves, but inside I scream about the rest of the building or how its actually somewhat easy to get into the building. They have a good bit that could be taken too.

I only leave the door unlocked as I take garbage out steps away, and the last I've left it unlocked long term I lived in almost the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2018 1:24 AM

I've been locking everything since Richard ramirez, aka "The Night Stalker"

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2018 1:34 AM

ALWAYS keep your doors locked. I've heard of too many horrible things happening to people because of an unlocked door or open window. Crazies look for opportunities like that. And when they get in they're capable of doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2018 1:36 AM

Do you live in Green Acres, OP?

I live on the nice side of a city of 700k and I lock my doors when I’m not there. I did that when I lived in a town of 20k

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2018 1:38 AM

Google the Vampire of Sacramento. You'll never leave a door unlocked again.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2018 1:45 AM

Unlocked doors are a sign of stupidity. As if crime never comes to small towns.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2018 1:54 AM

If you don't lock your doors then you deserve whatever you get.

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2018 2:40 AM

R26 made me laugh so hard!

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2018 2:47 AM

Hmmmm, what do you have in mind, Op?

(I'm anybody you want me to be.)

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2018 2:50 AM

Also consider the case of Jeanne Clery. She was a 19 year old student at Lehigh University. The coed dorm she lived had its doors frequently propped open with pizza boxes so visitors and food deliverers could enter easily. She and her roommate had gone to a frat party and got back at 3:00 in the morning. The roommate wanted to go out again (at 3:00 in the morning?) but couldn't find her key. So they left their door unlocked. I think it was even left slightly ajar. As it so happens, a sociopath named Josoph Henry, also a student at the university, entered the dorm, drunk and angry because he'd lost a student election. He'd flunked out of the college but had been reinstated. He was a time bomb. He saw the unlocked door, entered Clery's dorm room, and proceeded to rape, sodomize, cut, and strangle her to death. He was convicted and sentenced to death, but eventually struck a deal and now is serving a life sentence. Clery's parents blamed the school for their daughter's death, saying they weren't told there was a slew of violent crimes committed at the university in the previous years and that it was the university's fault the dorm's doors were propped open. They sued and got a big settlement. They created a foundation designed to promote campus security and there a law in Cleary's name that requires university's to keep a crime log. But Clery's atrocious murder could have been prevented by simply keeping a dorm room door locked. If Clery and her roommate had kept their door locked she'd still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2018 2:54 AM

"EMTs will break down a door or break a window if they have to."

I'm aware of that, R45, but those can be a lot of critical minutes.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2018 2:56 AM

OP- Umm, dear, what city do you live in? I ask because when we see you on the news having been gutted and mounted in your living room, we can link back to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2018 3:00 AM

OP- Umm, dear, what city do you live in? I ask because when we see you on the news having been gutted and mounted in your living room, we can link back to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2018 3:00 AM

OP- I like people like you.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2018 3:01 AM

[quote]when you went shopping at Walmart for an hour or so.

Dear, I don’t think you need to lock your doors, unless it’s to protect your meth.

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2018 3:03 AM

When I was growing up we always left a door unlocked so the neighbors could get the dog out if there was a fire. We never had a break in but a prowler did wake us one night. The dog, as it happened, didn't bark, but our canary raised holy hell.

Today I don't even step away from the computer or the ph one for one second without locking the screen, at home or at work. I lock things within the house., too, in case someone gets nosy while visiting.

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2018 3:04 AM

I was repeatedly told by co-workers to start my car and leave the engine running before heading out on really cold days. The only day I ever did that, my car was stolen within 5 minutes. When I told my friends about it, I was then told I was stupid for not locking the doors. Well, if the key is in the ignition, how would I lock the doors? Apparently everyone else keeps multiple car keys on different key chains. Well, I got my car back, a week later, full of 40 oz beer bottles and joints, after having been driven through a SWAT Team blockade.

My sister always left lots of change on her car dashboard, and her car was repeatedly burglarized. No many how many times my parents and I told her she was baiting the thieves, she never learned. Most criminals are opportunists: don't give them the opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2018 3:15 AM

^^ Key-less ignition. Take the keys.

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2018 3:17 AM

Better safe than sorry. Locking takes like 2 seconds and gives me peace of mind.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2018 3:24 AM

When you file your insurance claim, do they ask if you took basic security measures?

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2018 3:25 AM

We don’t lock our doors either - or turn off any of the lights when we leave!

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2018 3:30 AM

I live in the security building and I keep my front door locked.

I don’t let people in that I don’t know but I don’t know what my neighbors might do.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2018 3:58 AM

[quote]If you have health problems and live alone you might want to leave the doors unlocked in case EMTs ever need to get in.

EMTs generally carry specialized tools that get them in quickly.

It would take only one crime to change some of the sillier posts I've read above.

by Anonymousreply 73August 20, 2018 4:01 AM

I always lock my doors (4 floor, 50 unit apt building). Exception being if I'm running downstairs to check the mail or do laundry.

Door is locked when I'm home, door is locked when I'm out. Takes 2 seconds, keeps me and my stuff safe(r).

Why the hell wouldn't someone lock their doors?

Years ago, I lived in a 3 unit building. One time, door was unlocked for some reason. Drunk friend of my neighbor walked in (while I was home) and swandived onto my couch to take a nap. He was harmless and left after a few minutes, but yeah...could've been dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 74August 20, 2018 4:09 AM

I do. I live in Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2018 4:11 AM

I lock it before going to bed though.

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2018 4:13 AM

I leave my baby with that Wal Mart greeter all the damn time r26!

by Anonymousreply 77August 20, 2018 4:15 AM

Small-town-folk are so naive.

by Anonymousreply 78August 20, 2018 4:17 AM

Some of these people live in cities R78. Stupid is stupid, wherever you live.

I live in a city now, but grew up in a small town (graduating class was 97 people, two town high school) and never heard of doors being left open in case neighbors needed to pee. We always locked our house. Next door neighbor was one of mom's best friends and we always knocked on her door when we went over.

by Anonymousreply 79August 20, 2018 4:21 AM

Heroin and oxy addicts are everywhere... and they are always looking to steal to fund their next fix.

by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2018 4:29 AM

Definitely not anymore. I used to live in a building with two staircases on opposite ends, so you had to know which way to turn off of which staircase, otherwise you'd be walking away from your apartment if you weren't paying attention. On two occasions I had the same neighbor walk into my place inadvertently, because he kept turning the wrong way from the staircase. Some time after that, as I was watching a documentary (about Russell Williams, scarily enough!), I could hear someone trying to unlock my door, and when I went to the door and looked through the peephole, I saw someone I didn't recognize walking away and going to one of the staircases. It definitely was not the same neighbor.

To build on R60's story, about 10 years ago at a university (somewhere in Ontario I believe) a former student and his friend sneaked into one of the residence buildings in the middle of the night, and went into several unlocked rooms occupied by female students. The former student raped two of the girls by the end of the night. Later on, at their trial, the rapist's attempt of a defense was that the girls should have kept their doors locked.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2018 4:34 AM

[quote]My doors have always locked automatically. Isn't that more typical?

I hate that. I'd lock myself out.

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2018 8:13 AM

My door is unlocked for less than a minute a day, and that's only as I'm going in or out.

Not two months ago, some drunken loser in my apartment block tried to open my door. If it hadn't been locked, he would've burst right in and who knows what could've happened?

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2018 8:36 AM

No excuse not to lock the doors OP. Yes, be grateful you live in a safe idyllic locale, but still do your part to be responsible. I often leave my backdoor open, and screened storm door window open, but it makes me nervous, even though it locks. I feel the same way about one kitchen window off my deck. If I feel sleepy, or lounge on the sofa, everything gets locked or I cannot really relax. You have lulled yourself into a false sense of security, and you are too comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2018 9:22 AM

I leave my door unlocked all the time, except when I go out of town. But I'm kind of a slob, so any would-be burglar would walk in and assume that my house had already been burgled, turn around and leave. I'm mostly a homebody and I teach a musical instrument in my house, so I have students in and out most of the day, on irregular schedules as well as family members that live in the same city with me. Someone casing my house would give up trying to figure out a time when I wouldn't be home or someone wouldn't be inside it. I also live in a safe neighborhood, in a safe city. I lived in NYC for 7 years. Naturally, I locked up everything there. Everyone in NYC had a door luck, a dead bolt and a chain lock, at a minimum. I live in a duplex where there's always activity, but it looks like a single house, so that's another thing that would deter a random break in. If I lived in a house all by myself, without that level of activity, I'd lock the door at night, and when I left the house, but I wouldn't lock it while I was inside of it during the day unless there was some crime spree going on. That just seems weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2018 10:15 AM

I'm not scared of being robbed, but that some stranger could hide in my house and wait till I was asleep to kill me.

I have an active imagination, and have lived in big cities with high crime rates. Would never leave my door unlocked, even when I'm home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2018 10:32 AM

Not any more! Recently we’ve had a spate of burglaries in our neighbourhood (break ins whilst people have been at home). Also, certain family members in the past took it upon themselves to walk in, unannounced, and caught us in situations which were embarrassing for all.

by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2018 10:35 AM

R27 - love it!

by Anonymousreply 88August 20, 2018 10:39 AM

I would never leave my door locked unintentionally, particularly in the city where I live, but I have discovered a few times that I forgot to lock the door before bed. If I lived in a house or a townhouse...that would be very bad. But I am in a relatively large condo building with many floors of a long hallway a la The Shining, and someone would have to be pretty wacky to walk down the hall testing out all the doorknobs trying to find an open door...and from there, I don’t know what that person would do. Come in despite the screaming of the resident inside and steal a lamp, and then take the elevator down and exit past the security person? Seems unlikely when there are easier-to-access-and-escape homes all over.

by Anonymousreply 89August 20, 2018 10:43 AM

[quote]r85 I wouldn't lock it while I was inside of it during the day unless there was some crime spree going on. That just seems weird to me.

It probably depends on the amount of true crime shows one watches.

by Anonymousreply 90August 20, 2018 10:47 AM

If you have ever had some stranger open your door when you are naked in the living room, you will start locking the door.

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2018 10:49 AM

Exactly! @ R91 (or, more mortifying, your mother walking in on you having sexy times with another).

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2018 10:53 AM

I have mindlessly tried to unlock a neighboring apartment door a few times. Mixing up doors myself is enough motivation for me to try to keep mine locked at all times. I might have a heart attack if someone just walked into my apartment whether I was in an embarrassing situation or not.

Maybe the OP is an exhibitionist who wants someone to walk in on him.

by Anonymousreply 93August 20, 2018 10:56 AM

OP do you like surprise anal?

by Anonymousreply 94August 20, 2018 10:57 AM

My in-laws started locking their doors, and they live in a quiet, well to do, idyllic beachside town. There’s always visitors from out of town to consider, as we used to tell them, as well as a growing number of meth users. It’s a helluva drug! They got burgled in the middle of the day, whilst they were home, holding a garage sale. You could see their back door from the garage, and some cheeky fucker must’ve walked in, taken all their jewellery, money (yes, they kept large sums of cash in their home), medications, shoes (WTF?), and appliances. They must have been occupied dealing with people at the sale. Their neighbour had her son and his druggie friends coming by all the time, and woke up one night to someone eating from their fridge while another urinated in the carpet. They learned.

by Anonymousreply 95August 20, 2018 10:58 AM

Yeah I have had neighbors get robbed in the middle of the day...two guys just came in, pushed the wife to the floor and took anything they wanted with in four minutes...their little kids were waiting in the car across the street.

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2018 11:03 AM

[quote] I got my car back, a week later, full of 40 oz beer bottles and joints, after having been driven through a SWAT Team blockade.

Your car is cooler than you.

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2018 11:16 AM

A university neighborhood is not a safe neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2018 11:17 AM

The "it was common to leave your house unlocked so neighbors could use your bathroom" guy is trolling you.

by Anonymousreply 99August 20, 2018 11:17 AM

R22 - nobody wants your 'expensive' figurines.... MARY!

by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2018 11:24 AM

WW for R97!

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2018 12:00 PM

No. We live in a safe neighborhood but better to be safe than sorry. There have been two attempted break ins at our home. One was friends of the next door neighbor’s 20 year old kid, looking for booze. We have a sliding door in back which they tried to jimmy. But it also has a plywood stop. No way they were getting in without breaking the window. Another time, I left the kitchen window open slightly as I ran to the store. The guys cutting another neighbor’s lawn stood on a lawn chair and started to jimmy it when I came home.

My grandparents lived in the country. Their home was broken into by meth heads.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2018 12:18 PM

I lock my apartment whenever I leave. Unlock when I return and lock again as soon as I am in.

Not so much safety concerns but routine. That way I never have those "did I lock my apartment?" moments. Just like whenever I come home I put my phone, loose change, keys and wallet in the same place. Whenever I leave I put in the same pant's pockets.

Anyone who leaves their car keys in the car is an idiot. There are liability issues.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2018 1:29 PM

What r103 said. How else do you live?

by Anonymousreply 104August 20, 2018 1:33 PM

The only time I left my door unlocked I was waiting on all 4s wearing a hood presenting hole to the door. Sadly those days are over.

by Anonymousreply 105August 20, 2018 1:35 PM

[quote]wearing a hood presenting hole to the door

KKK initiation?

by Anonymousreply 106August 20, 2018 1:45 PM

Not often. But I lock my door when I go to bed

by Anonymousreply 107August 20, 2018 1:57 PM

Jews aren't happy unless everyone once normal is turned paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2018 2:25 PM

a conservative friend uses this argument with me about 'the wall' -- she asked me if I locked my doors at night? Well, yeah!

Then, maybe a wall would serve the same purpose.

by Anonymousreply 109August 20, 2018 2:27 PM

Nazis aren't happy until they publish a Jewish joke online and share it with their bund. Go to your bund, r108.

by Anonymousreply 110August 20, 2018 2:29 PM

It doesn't matter how "safe" or "unsafe" you think an area is. Crime can happen anywhere, and why the fuck would you not lock your door as a simple, easy precaution?!

It is routine, I do it without thinking about it.

It boggles my mind that some people would refuse to do it. What do you gain by leaving your door unlocked? Saving you the two seconds of opening it...? I mean what is the point.

by Anonymousreply 111August 20, 2018 3:10 PM

Weak, r110

by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2018 3:15 PM

Go to [italic]your[/italic] bund, r112.

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2018 3:19 PM

OP here again. Lots of Marys in this thread. The only reply that truly freaked me out was R55's - I read wiki page of that guy and this part is really scary:

[quote] He attempted to enter the home of a woman two weeks later, but because her doors were locked, he walked away. Chase later told detectives that he took locked doors as a sign that he was not welcome, but unlocked doors were an invitation to come inside.

I guess I shoud mention that I'm not from the US - if you guys lived in a town of 5000 people (in a country with a population smaller than that of Brooklyn) you'd probably be less squeamish about leaving your doors unlocked too. But I'm pretty sure I'll lock the door tonight, after reading that Richard Chase wiki page. Don't want to give any serial killers the idea that they're welcome LOL

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2018 4:20 PM

I live in a town of 2000 people, not in the US. And I lock my doors, even if I trust my neighbors. Why ? Because burglars and squatters.

In my fabulous country, if random people enter your house or apartment when you're not here and if they can prove they've been here for two days, the fuckers can stay. And it can take weeks to evict them, legally.

by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2018 4:50 PM

R115 Wow, so all I have to do is to hide myself in the garage of some multi-millionaire's mansion in your country for 48 hours and then I'll be able to move in with him?

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2018 4:56 PM

small town America is crawling with desperate oxy addicts. Look your doors, OP

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2018 4:57 PM

R6 LOL

My elderly parents leave their house door open in the countryside in UK. They lock up when going out but always hide the key under a cloth on the windowsill. So stupid. My Father also leaves his keys in the car as well. Different generation!

by Anonymousreply 118August 20, 2018 6:47 PM

Err, which country is that r115? I doubt that law applies for houses/apartments that actually have someone living there already.

by Anonymousreply 119August 20, 2018 7:18 PM

Legally speaking, is there a difference between "entering" and "breaking and entering?" If someone came into your home uninvited and stole things while you left the doors unlocked and the windows open, then that would NOT be considered "BREAKING and entering" correct?

by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2018 7:43 PM

Incorrect r120.

"Breaking and entering" is not actually the name of a charge.

Regardless of whether the door is locked or not, if you enter a property without permission and steal something it is burglary.

If you enter a property without permission without committing a crime, it is still trespassing.

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2018 7:46 PM

^Thank you

by Anonymousreply 122August 20, 2018 7:48 PM

I do leave my door unlocked when I go out to run a quick errand, but then I freak myself out about when I get back, thinking I have to check every closet and hiding space for prowlers before I go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 123August 20, 2018 7:48 PM

I once unlocked my car trunk to load some stuff and stared in shocked disbelief at contents that clearly weren't mine. The car looked exactly like mine, same make and year and the key worked. It took me a short while to figure it out but my brain couldn't process what I saw at first.

Not the same as leaving a door unlocked but can't you just imagine the disconnect if you walked into someone else's home by mistake?

by Anonymousreply 124August 20, 2018 7:52 PM

My car was parked a few spots away. I didn't know some trunk keys work on multiple cars.

by Anonymousreply 125August 20, 2018 7:53 PM

I'm always amazed at those who sleep with their bedroom door open. Aren't they afraid of someone standing in their doorway and watching them sleep?

That really creeps me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 20, 2018 7:59 PM

France R119.

Did some google search and thank god the law has changed three years ago (no more two days limit), but you still need a public prosecutor and a bailiff to help with your case and it can still take days to get squatters evicted.

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2018 8:34 PM

R119 is right . By definition to be a squatter you have to inhabit an unoccupied property. In other words even in France if you leave your home unlocked and some moves in that's trespassing not squatting.

by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2018 11:21 PM

I’ve been robbed twice. Looking back, I made foolish choices that inadvertently contributed to my becoming a crime victim. I no longer walk alone in isolated places and I lock my doors at all times. I no longer believe crime happens to “other” people in “other” neighborhoods.

Another thing I learned: Most crime isn’t publicized.

by Anonymousreply 129August 21, 2018 12:01 AM

Car always locked, tracking device or alarm set. House 2nd floor windows stay open depending on outside weather/,, temperature../time of year.

Always lock the front door when I leave and come back. Back and sliding doors always locked when gone, usually unlocked when home. When I hear partner coming home from work I unlock the door for him.

Always been this way. College was difficult because dorm room, airhead roommates, etc

by Anonymousreply 130August 23, 2018 11:45 AM

I even lock my bathroom door when I’m home alone.

by Anonymousreply 131August 23, 2018 11:49 AM

I always lock my front door. I have a screened slider door in the back, that I like to keep open.. for the air. I thought the screen door didn't lock (it's old), so kept it unlocked. After reading this thread, I checked the lock on the door... and it works. So... locking the screen door from now on. Other than that, I always lock my doors and my car doors when driving.

by Anonymousreply 132August 23, 2018 1:40 PM

R126... Not only that, but if there's a fire in your home, a closed bedroom door is a barrier, giving you more time to survive, or get out.

by Anonymousreply 133August 23, 2018 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!