Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brandon de Wilde grew up to be a cute geek

Here he is accepting Melvyn Douglas' Oscar (plus Miss Patty Duke!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2019 11:24 PM

Geek? Maybe twink but no way a geek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2018 7:40 AM

in the Oscar clip he's more geeky r1 (the glasses)

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2018 7:48 AM

Didn't he die young?

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2018 8:12 AM

Yeah... died at thirty when he crashed his camper van. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Sad. He's cute in OP's vid.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2018 8:18 AM

He was traveling to appear in a production of Butterflies are Free.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2018 8:19 AM

I would have happily made sweet love to him.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2018 8:28 AM

He was nominated for an Oscar when he was 11 for Shane. Frank Sinatra beat him. Was Sinatra really that acclaimed as an actor?

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2018 8:39 AM

I went to high school with his cousin, who looked a lot like him. Same last name, so I asked him . Very blond. Nice kid.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2018 10:40 AM

De Wilde was gorgeous in Hud

Actor Brian Geraghty is a dead ringer for him, he’s what De Wilde would have looked like if he lived past 30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2018 10:49 AM

Brandon was a big boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2018 11:45 AM

R10, yum!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2018 6:11 PM

Such a fine (and handsome!) young actor —his death was heartbreaking. I remember seeing his “What’s My Line” appearance on YouTube — what an adorable charmer!

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2018 6:15 PM

There simply must be some nude photos of this delicious young man!

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2018 6:21 PM

Charming indeed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2018 6:22 PM

R10, that's where he stowed his chewing tabacky.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2018 7:13 PM

I seem to remember that when he died the great Julie Harris, with whom he costarred in "The Member of the wedding," wrote a lovely tribute to him.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 7:25 PM

Brandon De Wilde and Julie Harris also appeared on an episode of “The Name of the Game” (along with Anne Baxter, Steve Forrest and Tisha Sterling) in 1968. I haven’t seen the episode so I don’t know if they shared any scenes, but it’s cool to think of two stars of “The Member of the Wedding” reunited.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 11:42 PM

He grew up to be incredibly handsome and it's alleged that he was packing.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2018 12:39 AM

R18 See R10. I think we do away with the "alleged" part.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 11:26 AM

One of the all time great kid performances in Shane. Unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2018 11:35 AM

Here he's depicting the average datalounger during childhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2018 11:44 AM

Nice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2018 11:47 AM

Found this YouTube. Brandon deWilde is in the segment with Ann Sothern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2018 11:56 AM

R23 I loved this show growing up!

Brandon's girlfriend in that segment was played by Brenda Benet, the tragic ex-wife of Bill Bixby and lesbian lover of Faux News' Tammy Fox.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2018 1:54 PM

^^ Make that Tammy Bruce.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2018 1:54 PM

“Love American Style” was a Friday-night perennial during my growing-up years, it was always a treat to see who was going to pop-up in those iconic opening credits (Diane Keaton! Sue Lyon! DL icon Vivian Vance!)

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2018 4:54 PM

Wow, R24 — I didn’t know that Brenda Benet was involved with Tammy Bruce before her death! Quite an age difference there, and if Bruce is truthful about her age, she was a teenager when her relationship with Benet began!

This is why I love DL — not only a thread about the wonderful Brandon de Wilde, but info I didn’t know about Brenda Benet and Tammy Bruce!

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2018 5:24 PM

Brandon deWilde was also in In Harm's Way which is kind of an odd film... a WWII movie (Pacific war) directed by Otto Preminger and filmed in black and white in 1965. Big name cast: John Wayne, Patricia Neal, Kirk Douglas, even Henry Fonda has a cameo role. Solid supporting cast including BdW.

Picture a movie that starts around the time of Pearl Harbor, in Honolulu, yet all the women have 1965 teased hair styles and are wearing 1965 sheath dresses and stiletto heels. It's very disorienting. i know that hair and makeup are frequently anachronistic but this takes it to a whole new level.

Kirk Douglas plays a booze and broads, good-time Charlie guy who is a pilot. He meets up with a young virginal nurse (Jill Haworth) who is the girlfriend of BdW, says he'll drive her home from a party (I forget exactly) and rapes her. She is so distraught she kills herself. He ends up volunteering for a suicide surveillance mission.

It's weird because of the whole Natalie Wood rumor, when was that supposed to have happened?

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote]Brandon deWilde was also in In Harm's Way which is kind of an odd film... a WWII movie (Pacific war) directed by Otto Preminger and filmed in black and white in 1965.

I spilled several loads to the Playboy pictorial that included a semi-nude still of Hugh O'Brian from that film.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2018 6:02 PM

Agreed, R28, the bouffants and outfits that Jill Haworth and Barbara Bouchet sport in “In Harm’s Way” are VERY anachronistic. I read in Elizabeth Ashley’s book “Actress” that Otto Preminger offered her a role (my guess would be the one later played by Paula Prentiss) in the film, but she turned it down.

Preminger was known to be rough on actors, hope that Brandon de Wilde’s experience with him was a good one!

Interesting parallel with Douglas/“In Harm’s Way/the Natalie Wood rumor.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2018 6:39 PM

It was shocking in the movie, his character didn't seem to have any real regrets. Sad that she died, of course but a bit mystified why she took the pills. No real fallout from his buddies or superior officers? It's been awhile since I've seen it. Of course he died a hero, radioing in the location of the Japanese fleet.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2018 7:04 PM

It's one of the few John Wayne films where he didn't seem like an anachronism in "modern dress". Preminger could be a petty tyrant and got worse with age, but he managed to get some semblance of a performance out of Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2018 8:00 PM

de Wilkde did a lot of episodic tv in the 60s. He no longer was a movie star, but he seemed to do ok as a working actor.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2018 8:04 PM

He was an excellent child actor-"Shane" ," Member if the Wedding" ,and" Hud". Don't forgot " They All Fall Down". When he was on Broadway, as a little boy, he used to run and knock on everyone's door when it was showtime because he was so excited.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2018 8:11 PM

R27 Yes; Tammy was 19 when she got involved with Benet, who was 36. Tammy had been her personal secretary. She was at the house the day Benet killed herself.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2018 1:27 AM

He worked with some amazing people over the course of his too-brief career, a testament to his talent and charisma.

I seem to recall a biography a few years ago, though I’m unsure of of its quality.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2018 1:10 PM

I grew up in Denver, and I remember being a kid and seeing the reporting of his death on the local news. It was so weird to know that a famous Hollywood person had died on a street in my little city!

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2018 1:36 PM

Shane? ... Shane?

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2018 2:23 PM

Damn, poor Brenda...I'd kill myself too if I was involved with Tammy Bruce...

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2018 2:49 PM

Here’s Brandon deWilde, Julie Harris, Steve Forrest, Tisha Sterling and Anne Baxter in “The Name of the Game”. Obviously inspired by the Starkweather killings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2019 3:43 PM

[quote]Was Sinatra really that acclaimed as an actor?

Perhaps not, but let’s just say his “people” had an enforcement division.

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2019 3:48 PM

R41 plus Sinatra was in the midst of a comeback with From Here to Eternity. It was a popular victory. I’ve heard De Wilde’s parents didn’t take him to the Oscars and he found out he lost awhile after the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 42March 2, 2019 3:59 PM

Brandon and Eva Marie Saint are excellent in John Frankenheimer's "A Fall Down". Warren Beatty, as Brandon's older brother, gives one of his most painful Method performances, and Angela Lansbury, as the mother, is over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2019 4:08 PM

I believe deWilde was discovered when they were having trouble finding a 7-year-old for the stage play THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING, and someone remembered one of the stage managers had a son.

Or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2019 4:09 PM

Growing up, I always assumed his last name was pronounced "dee wild", but a few years ago a friend pronounced it "duh wilda" -- which is correct?

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2019 4:16 PM

The latter - though it's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2019 4:18 PM

Agreed, R43, Eva Marie Saint and Brandon deWilde have the best performances in “All Fall Down”. Karl Malden and (sad to say) Angela Lansbury were a bit over the top, and Warren Beatty was an Actor’s Studio caricature. Allegedly, Beatty’s self-indulgent acting preparation antics were a source of irritation on the set. Even Lansbury later spoke about it, albeit diplomatically.

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2019 4:20 PM

GAVE the best performances, not have — sorry!

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2019 4:21 PM

Da wilduh? Well, I never in all my life.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2019 4:26 PM

De Wilde was one of those child actors that never made the transition to an adult career, and not because of his premature death, but because he kept doing the cutesy bit that made him seem mentally challenged.

by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2019 4:29 PM

I don’t think he did a cutesy bit as an adult, the performances I’ve seen have shown him to be a fine, sensitive actor. But I too have wondered why his star dimmed by the late-60s. Maybe Dustin Hoffman’s ascension in “The Graduate” rendered deWilde’s more preppy type less interesting? At any rate, his untimely passing was a loss for the performances that might have been.

And incidentally, performance aside, deWilde’s role in “The Name of the Game” episode posted upthread features a pivotal scene in his underwear!

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2019 4:38 PM

There was a cultural upheaval & by the late 60s, anything not hip was passé. Annette & Frankie, Sal Mineo, Bobby Vinton, Tommy Sands...people like this were washed up. (Mineo was attempting to revive his career when murdered). Poor Brandon was part of the previous generation of actors.

Child actor Kurt Russell was appearing in dreck when he had an incredible break out role in Escape From New York. That kind of career revival was rare.

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2019 5:16 PM

He drove Paul Newman to distraction.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2019 5:22 PM

[quote] Brandon de Wilde grew up

Not really

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2019 5:24 PM

Interesting theory, R52 — I agree!

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2019 5:57 PM

Obviously R53

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2019 8:06 PM

His death was the subject of the Gram Parsons song, "In My Hour of Darkness."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2019 8:31 PM

And Emmylou Harris and Bill Danoff, in turn, wrote this song about Gram Parsons' death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2019 8:54 PM

Never knew that, R57!

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2019 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!