Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Could a homeless person live in a tall shrub?

I know lots of homless people live in parks or woods but have you ever heard of one living in shrubbery? There’s an older guy I see around my neighborhood all the time. I’ve talked to him a bit and know he’s between houses and couch surfs. We’re not close and I live in a small apartment so I haven’t offered him a place to stay. Several times in the past week I’ve seen him ducking in and out of these tall shrubs in front of my apartment building. I brought it up to my neighbor and she said she saw the same thing at odd hours and thought he may be living in there. Is that even possible though? Have you ever heard of someone living in a bush?

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2018 3:39 AM

You sound like a fucking idiot OP. Just sayin.........

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2018 6:02 AM

One of DL's best EVER thread titles.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2018 6:05 AM

I give it 1.5 out of 10, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2018 6:05 AM

Pardon me for not being a hobo expert

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2018 6:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2018 6:06 AM

Was he carrying a dildo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2018 6:07 AM

What strain of dope did you smoke, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2018 6:08 AM

If people do it all the time out in the middle of the street in San Francisco sure why not. Thousands of them.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 6:10 AM

Just look for the litter and piles of human shit, it's usually the giveaway, isn't it? Here in San Diego we had a hepatitis outbreak because the homeless who pour in here from around the country use streets and alleys as their personal toilets. Everyone in the city was being urged to get a hepatitis shot.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 6:14 AM

They also like to panhandle (which is legal in San Diego) often at the end of off ramps of freeways leaving their rubbish and garbage all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2018 6:18 AM

I imagine that if someone is sleep on the group, rough, they're very vulnerable to attack if they're in a more accessible area. So finding a spot underneath a large shrub would offer some privacy and shelter. But I can't imagine anyone actually living inside a shrub, like a songbird in a nest.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2018 6:22 AM

OP is a hobophobe.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2018 6:25 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2018 6:25 AM

Is he skinny enough to hide behind said shrubs, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2018 6:25 AM

Leave a glass of milk and a plate of cookies beside the shrub and see if they disappear overnight.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 6:34 AM

I say prance over there to that shrub, drop the caftan, and present hole.

Then you'll know.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2018 6:43 AM

Actually r11 here in San Diego there were a series of bizarre murders of homeless men a couple years ago. They couldn't find the murderer for quite a few weeks and police were trying to warn these homeless guys to not sleep alone outdoors. They finally caught the guy, who was in his 20s if I recall correctly. His victims were often older men and he would do stuff like pound nails into their skulls as his "calling card". It was almost a Jack the Ripper thing in a way.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2018 6:43 AM

Hon, that's where he shits, your precious shrubs are his toilet.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2018 6:46 AM

No but a gargoyle can live in a bush.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2018 7:21 AM

Sort of like the Keebler elf living in an enchanted tree baking cookies all day.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2018 7:34 AM

Having worked with the homeless. I am guessing he doesn’t live within. Behind or underneath the shrubs. He could be taking a shit, or he could be using them as coverage to case the neighbourhood. Poverty and homelessness do correlate with mental health issues, health issues, and in some cases where necessity dictates, criminality.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2018 8:12 AM

No idea why I inserted full stops. Apologies for terrible punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2018 8:13 AM

Look for a TARDIS, OP.

Oh, and if your homeless friend looks like Peter Capaldi I want you to suck his dick on behalf of gay nerds everywhere. Use lots of spit, too.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2018 8:35 AM

I also found needles lying around in front of the bushes

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2018 8:49 AM

OP, there's a slight chance your homeless man is actually a closeted married man attempting to score Truvada without his spouse's knowledge.

Heroin addiction is part of his ruse.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2018 8:54 AM

I love you R23. And OP - your homeless man is a diabetic, snow dropping voyeur

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2018 9:02 AM

He doesn't live in a shrub. That'll be where he keeps something he uses but doesn't want to carry all day. Sometimes homeless people need to hide their sleeping gear or other stuff because otherwise the council workers will clear it away/chuck it out.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2018 9:09 AM

Thanks for all the insight

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2018 12:09 AM

A bush? Impossible! A tall shrubbery, on the other hand . . . . Most certainly. And quite comfortably, too.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 12:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 12:17 AM

Maybe he's in there having the hobosex?

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2018 5:58 AM

We had a giant shrub in the yard when I was a kid. It was intact and full looking from the outside but the inside was completely open. It was our clubhouse. We could have easily lived in there with a sleeping bag and a tarp to keep the rain off and no one would have seen us. If I was homeless, I might try to find a giant shrub to make it my own little place to hide away.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2018 7:16 AM

This is a sad state of affairs.

Where is this op?

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 8:39 AM

I’d live in the woods if I were homeless. I’d try to get out to the country.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2018 11:48 PM

Except, R34, any resources you might need are in the city. We have homeless people that live in the forest preserves around here and the police keep taking them to the hospital and dumping them there, instead.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2018 1:38 AM

Time for pics of hot homeless men...

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2018 1:53 AM

For R31 :

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2018 2:57 PM

Couldn't a hobo live off berries or learn to grow corn?

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2018 6:59 AM

Berries? When did I eat berries?

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2018 10:01 AM

I'll never look at shrubs the same.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2018 2:13 AM

The Hobos near me like to live in the historic burying grounds. The ones where there are no longer active burials, and no family visitors.

In one, they broke into a number of the tombs and slept in them, to get out of the rain. I assume they cleaned out the bones, first.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2018 3:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!