Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Larry King Special: The Death of Aretha Franklin

Sad news, folks—the Filet of Sole, Miss Urethra Franklin Roosevelt, has died. We'll have the vivacious Miss Elaine Joyce on in just a bit, but first, this word from Fletcher's Castoria.

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2018 12:13 AM

Roosevelt Franklin, the Muppet of Soul, is devastated to learn of esteemed sister's passing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2018 4:30 PM

Carol Channing, as the Queen of Broadway and as a fellow black woman, what do you have to say about the passing of the Queen of Soul?

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2018 4:41 PM

Now that she's dead, will we ever get to hear the Trump Tapes?

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2018 5:06 PM

Friends, it's a sad day here at Larry King Live. The Queen of Soul has taken that midnight train to Georgia, has danced her last dance, and found her way to San Jose.

We've got lots of tributes ahead for her. Everyone from former Beatle Mick Jagger to ex Ronnette Diana Ross as well as ex Doobie Brother Don Henley has something to say. We'll also talk to her husband, Ben, who you will recall invented electricity.

Plus, I understand that President Trump will even join us for a few minutes to talk about his love of Aretha. You'll recall, Aretha sang at his inauguration.

But first, this word from Poligrip, which helps cement you dentures in for the entire day. I can personally attest to how strong that grip is!

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2018 6:00 AM

Joining me now are singers George Michael, who of course, sang that wonderful duet with Aretha, "I Knew You were Naked for Me"

What? He's dead? George and Michael are dead? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things before I go on the air!

Sorry, viewers. Very sad about George and Michael. And of course, Aretha.

Instead, we've got Ray Charles joining us. He, of course, did that wonderful duet with Aretha, "It Takes Two to Tango." Ray, welcome.

What! Dead? Ray Charles is dead! Aretha is dead. George and Michael are dead? Is there some kind of epidemic killing off soul singers!? Why are they all dropping dead today?

We'll have to explore that in the second hour, but this hour is about Aretha.

Joining us now, is the very much alive, Whitney Houston, who of course did that wonderful cover of Aretha's song, "I Will Always Love You."

No, wait, my producer is telling me Whitney had died too! This is a tragedy. All these people dropping dead today. I suspect there's a much bigger story coming about why all these singers are dying today. So, stay tuned.

All right. Let's try this one more time. Joining us now is singer Patti LaBelle.

Patti, you are alive aren't you? Good, glad to hear your voice. Patty, oh, Patty I'm so sorry about Aretha. You two must have been especially close. This must be hitting you hard. Aretha sang all those songs you originally did, "I Say A Little Prayer," "That's What Friends are For," "Walk On By."

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2018 6:20 AM

After the break, former President Barack Osama talks about what this means for the African American colored community.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2018 2:13 PM

Later we'll talk to Jim Belushi who starred with her in Blue's Clues

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2018 2:58 PM

We have former President Obama on the phone now. "President Obama does the white mother side of you mourn Urethra as much as the anonymous black father side ? Oh, you know who your father was ? Well, isn't that a rarity ? How about Michelle, is she wearing black right now ? "

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2018 3:04 PM

In the studio we her sister Erma. Could you tell us what it was like growing up with a famous father who had signed both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution?

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2018 3:49 PM

Love the Larry king threads. Keep going please!

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2018 3:58 PM

On the phone we have her brother, former Minnesota Senator Al Franklin. Thank you for taking the time to be with us today. As the queen of soul food, she must have been an amazing cook. Tell us what was her favorite dish to prepare?

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2018 4:12 PM

If any good can come of this tragedy, at least it has shined a light on urethra cancer. We have a urologist here to tell us the warning signs. Please welcome Dr. Babe Ruth Westheimer...wait, I know she's dead. She isn't? Are you sure? Poke her with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2018 4:34 PM

In the studio, we have Nike co-founder Phil Knight. Phil, could you describe to the viewers at home the impact the queen of soles had on the shoe industry?

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2018 4:48 PM

And now a word from our sponsor. From the makers of Fletcher's Castoria comes another fine product!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2018 4:54 PM

Larry: Folks, we have a real treat - Here in the studio is an old friend, someone who needs no introduction, Miss Liza May Minnelli. Liza darling, you look marvelous! How are you? When's your next concert tour starting?

Liza: Larry, I can't walk....

Larry: That's fantastic. Liza, you and I go way back and I'm thinking of that movie you made with the late great Aretha. I can't think of the name of it. The two of you were driving around eating candy bars and drove off a cliff. Darling, what was the name of that movie?

Liza: Larry, it wasn't a movie, it was a commercial for Snickers bars, and we....

Larry: THELMA AND LOUISE! Great movie.

Liza: Larry, I.......

Larry: The legendary Liza Minnelli, ladies and gentlemen. One of the greats!

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2018 5:22 PM

She was a civil rights pioneer, especially for immigrants, with her controversial songs "Chain of Migration" and "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Citizen."

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2018 5:40 PM

And now for a special treat, we have the famous British soul singer, Robert Plant singing that favourite old gospel song of Aretha's: Stairway to Heaven!

Take it away Robert!

Whaaa? Not Robert Plant?

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2018 6:32 PM

Oops, sorry. Have to turn the channel......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2018 7:05 PM

We're back from the break and are now joined by sportscaster George Michael who had a hit with Aretha in 1987 with "I Blew You While You Were Waiting"

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2018 7:39 PM

And now a message from our sponsor, Fletcher's Castoria.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2018 5:28 PM

From the time I was I think 10 I always called her Urethra Franklin. I thought I was being so cute.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2018 5:32 PM

R15 wins!

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2018 5:36 PM

My condolences, Ms Warwick. Was Aretha your only daughter?

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2018 12:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!