Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blaxploitation Movies

What are your memories of these movies, their style and impact, that time, etc. What are your favorites?

I like Three the Hard Way and of course, Coffy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2018 2:41 PM

Rudy Ray Moore's Dolemite movies are a hoot—basically blaxploitation meets John Waters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2018 4:14 AM

Not legit Blaxploitation but based on them type of movies. Jackie Brown! My favorite scene of that super movie. Feelings in film or tv is where it's at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2018 4:19 AM

Who's the black private DICK who's a sex machine for all the chicks?

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2018 4:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2018 4:23 AM

Ahhhhh SUPERFLY (starring Curtis Mayfield's badassed soundtrack).

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2018 6:12 AM

It's a more obscure title, but "The Muthers" from 1976 is about a band of female-led pirates battling then-modern day slavers in order to liberate a prison camp. The titular ladies include Jeannie Bell, Rosanne Katon, Trina Parks, and Jayne Kennedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2018 6:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2018 6:53 AM

I loved it when mainstream white actors showed up in them like Ed McMahon in Slaughter's Big Rip-Off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2018 7:00 AM

All of Fred Williamson movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2018 7:55 AM

The Jim Kelly movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2018 7:59 AM

Jim Kelly's movies were awesome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2018 8:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2018 8:03 AM

Shaft has a friend who's a gay bartender.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2018 8:05 AM

Friday night colored talk

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2018 9:24 AM

Everything on paper deems "Blacula" as grade Z blaxplotation but it's actually a really terrific movie. Funny, some really creepy scenes, a great actor as Blacula and the gorgeous Denise Nicholas. A hit that earned a sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2018 10:01 AM

Rudy Ray Moore's "Petey Wheatstraw, The Devil's Son-In-Law". Here is the first four minutes....you're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2018 10:07 AM

The two Cleopatra Jones movies are great. Not so great but worth a laugh - Black Shampoo.

And anyone who loves these movies should check out Black Dynamite.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2018 10:08 AM

Cleopatra Jones, for sure!

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2018 10:09 AM

Love em.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2018 11:20 AM

We all love her as Lt. Uhura on "Star Trek," but she truly earned my respect as Dorinda in "Truck Turner."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2018 1:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2018 1:31 PM

[quote]We all love her as Lt. Uhura on "Star Trek," but she truly earned my respect as Dorinda in "Truck Turner."

I concur!

Supposedly gorgeous Richard Roundtree did a fleeting full frontal in "Shaft In Africa" but I've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2018 2:27 PM

In Shaft in Africa, Richard Rountree has an extended nude scene and he was sexy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2018 2:34 PM

All the leads in the most popular movies Roundtree, Ron O'Neal, Jim Kelly, Fred Williamson were all incredibly sexy and didn't mind displaying it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2018 2:38 PM

Can't leave out "Foxy Brown."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2018 2:43 PM

MANDINGO, featuring the smoking hot Ken Norton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2018 2:55 PM

The granddaddy of them all - Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song by Melvin van Peebles. Hung out with him some. Total genius, that guy.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2018 2:58 PM

So let's exploit! Fred Williamson and Jim Brown were very generous with their asses, and Jim went on to give Playgirl its greatest moment. Jim's bert ass shot was in I Escaped from Devi's Island.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2018 3:10 PM

I had no idea what Blaxploitation films were until i came across a documentary about Roger Corman on tv (it was really weird to see Jack Nicholson crying). They then showed Blacula, Coffy and Sugar Hill. Coffy was a real eye opener lol

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2018 3:20 PM

My mother dated a black guy in the early 70's, so I got to live with his 2 similarly aged sons. Their blue haired grandmother took us to see, "Blacula" , "Die! Blacula, Die!, and "Raw Meat' (white exploitation) without knowing what it was about. I was 9 years old, and had a blast.

Saw this as an adult, and the costumes are so fun (but they're not really shown in this trailer):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2018 3:28 PM

Did anyone see the Superfly remake? Was it shit?

Curtis Mayfield was superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2018 3:49 PM

Mandingo? Come on, now.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2018 3:56 PM

The woman in R30 is Mother Jefferson! (Actress Zara Cully)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2018 3:56 PM

Coffy... she'll cream you.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2018 3:57 PM

R34 I have am original "Coffy" lobby card framed and hanging in my office.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2018 4:41 PM

What is a lobby card?

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2018 5:10 PM

My all time fave is Black Belt Jones. Everything about it is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2018 6:30 PM

R36 Lobby cards are like posters but smaller, usually 11x14 inch. Typically issued in sets, each featuring a different scene from the film.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2018 7:07 PM

Eddie Murphy is working on a Rudy Ray Moore movie for Netflix. I like Eddie Murphy but I don't believe he can capture the genius of Rudy Ray Moore.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2018 7:57 PM

I'm not sure these films exploited everyday blacks. I was never drawn to any of them and therefore didn't see any...that being said my criticism I suppose is somewhat illegitimate. The producers of these films only gave everyday blacks what they wanted to see. A Raisin in the Sun, Daughters of the Dust, Eve's Bayou and Nothing But a Man and the Wedding are more to my preference.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2018 9:15 PM

The everyday blacks were presented as normal, and puzzled by the behavior of the main cast.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2018 10:45 PM

Mandingo was not a blaxploitation flick.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2018 12:33 AM

Blackenstein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2018 12:34 AM

When I was growing up, on Saturdays, my Dad would take my brother and me to a grindhouse theater that played movies 24/7 for a single price of admission. (The Empire Theater in Over-the-Rhine/Cincinnati is no more). The floors were sticky, and the place full of derelict people just trying to get off the street. So I saw pretty much every Blaxploitation movie, as well as Kung-fu, European horror, motorcycle gang/Billy Jack and any other kind exploitation kind of movie that was in circulation at the time). I remember Richard Rountree, Fred Williamson and yes, Rudy Ray Moore, all happily showing their asses. I don't remember Jim Kelly showing anything other than his chest. My Dad loved Pam Grier (I still do). The other guys at my all-male Catholic school were shocked that bespectacled, nerdy little me had seen things like 'Shaft' and 'Superfly'. But I was raised on that stuff. Now my friends are amazed at how little interest I have in going to movies. I always end up explaining that they can't imagine the countless hours I've spent in my life watching bad movies. At the same time, I can really enjoy the hell out of a bad movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2018 12:37 AM

That is some slumming glamour! Bravo

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2018 12:46 AM

Well, to help give this fine thread some support, here's Jim Brown, in his regal majesty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2018 1:06 AM

And Fred Williamson, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2018 1:07 AM

I agree r15, Blacula is fantastic. I got interested in the genre last year. Here's an interview with the star, William Marshall. He was an interesting guy and had a beautiful speaking voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2018 1:11 AM

A lot of blaxploitation movies were terrible, but the soundtracks (Shaft, Superfly, Trouble Man) were excellent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2018 1:18 AM

I told this story here before. I went to the CHILLER autograph show in Jersey a few years ago. Pam Grier was a headliner. I told her that I had read thirty celebrity autobiographies that summer (true) and that hers was the best (true). She jumped up and gave me a big hug. Then she grabbed her bag and pulled out some 45 rpm records. She told me she had just digitized her collection and she grabbed one, Sly & The Family Stone "Everybody Is A Star", personalized to me and signed it as a thank you. She was very cool and honestly if you want a great read, get her book "Foxy", even if it's from the library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2018 2:23 AM

Isaac Hayes' Truck Turner soundtrack is a good album. I listen to it about 1x a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2018 2:33 AM

"Blackula" - 1972

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2018 2:36 AM

R50, I love that story! And this isn't Blaxploitation, but Pam Grier deserved an Academy Award nomination for 'Ft Apache - The Bronx'. She was a truly terrifying, force of nature. The best part of that movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2018 2:36 AM

Foxy Brown - hilarious lesbian bar fight scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2018 2:40 AM

The entirety of Coffy is fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2018 2:52 AM

Yes, r49, Trouble Man is one of my favorite albums. So under appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2018 4:53 AM

The Mack is one of the best movies out there from that time period. I wish it got the same attention and remembrance as Shaft and Superfly. It actually told a great story about the pimping game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2018 5:22 AM

The Mack also had a great soundtrack by Willie Hutch. This one is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2018 5:24 AM

The Shaft In Africa soundtrack is great too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2018 5:26 AM

R58 I also love "I Choose You" from that soundtrack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2018 5:27 AM

DOLOMITE!

by Anonymousreply 61August 17, 2018 5:30 AM

My favorite Blaxploitation song: James Brown "The Boss" from Black Caesar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 17, 2018 5:31 AM

[quote]I love that story! And this isn't Blaxploitation, but Pam Grier deserved an Academy Award nomination for 'Ft Apache - The Bronx'. She was a truly terrifying, force of nature. The best part of that movie.

Not going to spoil it but she tells a really funny story about her audition for that movie in the book and she shows great respect for the Philippines portion of her career. Like I said, a great read. Tarantino should adapt it.

by Anonymousreply 63August 17, 2018 2:12 PM

[quote]What is a lobby card?

In the good old days of grand movie theatres, they would have poster frames. A movie poster in the industry is a called a one sheet. A film could have many different size posters. In theater they would have a poster case with the one sheet in the middle and then smaller frames surrounding it with scenes from the film. Lobby cards usually came in sets of eight. These were still being produced in the eighties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 17, 2018 2:22 PM

Could these films be successful today, do you think? Which group would object most?

by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2018 2:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!