Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Manafort's acquittal

Manafort won't be convicted of anything. All it takes is one juror who buys Trump's bullshit that everything Mueller does is tainted. If OJ can escape punishment, so can Manafort.

by Anonymousreply 69August 21, 2018 9:00 PM

Wouldn't that just result in a mistrial / hung jury? And a new trial for Manafart? The OJ jurors berated the "guilty" holdout jurors into voting "not guilty," if memory serves.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2018 10:22 PM

I hope you're wrong, OP. I hope not. because that would make Mueller appear weak. Now if there's a hung jury they can re try the case. But if the jury acquits him, the judge can always vacate the jury's decision and find him guilty. Then the Defense will appeal. I think that's how it might go. But honestly there was enough evidence of wrong doing to convict him.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2018 10:23 PM

The trial has been ridiculous especially that judge. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2018 10:25 PM

It takes a unanimous jury to convict or acquit. I swear, some people know nothing about the judicial system. (I'm looking at you, OP.)

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2018 10:39 PM

Unless you are a major lottery winner OP, you will excuse me if I don't reply on your powers of prediction, you are just another person with an opinion. Since it is a pretty good guess that you didn't hear a single second of testimony lets make that your guess, not opinion.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2018 10:43 PM

Yep, OP doesn't seem the understand the difference between a hung jury and a acquittal. Oh dear.

One jury member very much cannot cause an acquittal.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2018 10:44 PM

OP here...I meant that a series of hung juries are inevitable, and a unanimous guilty decision on any of the counts is impossible.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2018 10:51 PM

OP doesn't understand the US legal system

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2018 11:00 PM

I didn’t know that a jury had to be 100% unanimous in every trial with no exceptions.

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2018 11:00 PM

I could see Manafort being acquitted because of the disgust over Gates getting a plea deal in order to target Manafort. Gates is a confessed criminal. Also, all of the other people who testified who were immunized will probably not be looked at favorably. Jurors may think that something stinks if the whole gang wasn't tried and just Manafort was.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2018 11:10 PM

I'm not sure what OP means by the OJ reference. Totally different circumstances.

R2 - a judge can vacate a guilty verdict. He or she can't vacate a non-guilty verdict.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2018 11:11 PM

Juries convict all the time on the word of "confessed criminals". They're called snitches and the government uses them quite frequently.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2018 11:24 PM

Motion to acquittal denied.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2018 12:59 AM

R9, Please say you aren't an American. Because we have, and always have had, shows and movies up the wazoo about or featuring jury trials.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2018 1:04 AM

OP should kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2018 1:07 AM

He will NOT be acquitted.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2018 1:11 AM

What are his charges again?

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2018 1:16 AM

Trump is already planning to pardon him per MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2018 1:17 AM

For tax fraud? Why would Trump pardon someone he hardly knew?

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2018 1:19 AM

R14 - R9 wrote that he didn't know that a jury verdict had to be unanimous in all cases. They you criticized him for not knowing this.

Juries don't have to reach a unanimous verdict in all cases. Juries in a civil trial don't have to unanimous. Majority rules.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2018 1:20 AM

In state courts, whether a jury needs to be unanimous depends on the state and the type of trial. For criminal trials, nearly every state requires the jury to produce a unanimous verdict.

For civil trials, almost one-third of states only require a majority for a verdict. Some states require a majority if the money at issue in the trial is below a certain amount, and a unanimous verdict all other times.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2018 1:22 AM

I know it has to be unanimous to convict. Does it also have to be unanimous to acquit?

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2018 1:51 AM

Oops, I didn’t read the entire thread above, which I now have. So now I know.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2018 1:56 AM

The defense didn't even present any witnesses. This will be not "guilty" so much as "GUILTY!!!! with extreme prejudice.". You don't need a believable witness if you can follow the money.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2018 1:57 AM

"But if the jury acquits him, the judge can always vacate the jury's decision and find him guilty."

Oh, my people! My people!

R2, somehow you failed to learn the most fundamental, bed rock, principle of the American criminal justice system. Please tell us how you did that???

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2018 2:08 AM

if Trump pardons Manafort it'll be Obstruction.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2018 2:09 AM

Manafort pardoned is probably of more use to Mueller. He will have testify and will have no access to the Fifth Amendment as he will face no legal jeopardy. If he lies while testifying, then he can be tried and potentially convicted for his perjury. And then what? Trump pardons him again? That loop never ends.

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2018 2:18 AM

If Manafort is acquitted, Mueller is finished. The defense certainly seems to think they have it in the bag since they’ve basically not bothered to mount one.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2018 2:29 AM

What are the chances of getting Manafort for perjury? Any?

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2018 2:34 AM

Maybe Mueller anticipated this. He isn't a dumb man. He does think strategically. So Manafort is tried for bank fraud separate and apart from the Russia investigation. He'll probably get convicted. Then he becomes bait. Mueller is waiting for Trump to pardon Manafort. Manafort still has another trial pending. He is also under investigation in the Russia probe. This is just the first step.

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2018 2:41 AM

[quote] R28: The defense certainly seems to think they have it in the bag since they’ve basically not bothered to mount one.

Or, the defense had no credible character witnesses. And had no way to refute the incontrovertible evidence. I keep hearing that the case is solid.

He exaggerated his income to get loans. Then he minimized his income to reduce his taxes. He failed to report foreign bank accounts. These are all illegal. Should be easy to understand by the jury.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2018 2:42 AM

I think Manafort knows Trump intends to pardon him.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2018 2:47 AM

The prosecution case was so, so strong. Tons of evidence Manafort hid money he got from foreign sources and laundered it to get it into the US.

Gates was an accomplished and he pled guilty to something smaller because he testified against Manafort.

No way Gates did this all on his own in some sinister way. Manafort was the head of it all. The jury isn't stupid.

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2018 3:04 AM

I think Manafort is afraid of Russian retaliation.

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2018 3:04 AM

Isn't Manafort also facing state charges? My understanding is Trump can't pardon him for state charges.

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2018 3:09 AM

Bingo, R34. He would rather rot in jail than see his wife and daughters get offed by Putin's operatives.

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2018 3:16 AM

The defense - if the special counsel hadn't been poking around, they never would have found any of this evidence. Seriously???

If Manafort gets a pardon and gets his passport back, he'll leave the country and never be heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2018 4:03 AM

It’s not looking good for Mueller. The defense was very happy with the jury questions today. He’s going to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote] He’s going to get away with it.

He's facing 18 charges. He'll likely be acquitted on some counts, but beating all of them is pretty unlikely. It's like being shot at with a shotgun at close range. Some of the pellets may miss, but not all of them. And it only takes a couple to really fuck you up good.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2018 3:08 AM

I hope you’re right R39, because right now it’s looking like everyone is going to be getting away with it. And yes, cunts, I’m concern trolling, because if this one domino doesn’t fall in Mueller’s direction, it’s going to be very very bad for the country and his investigation.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2018 3:32 PM

considering these yahoos needed the judge to explain what reasonable doubt is i have little faith in their decision making abilities

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2018 3:59 PM

Those jurors are hating life right now. There has got to be at least one deplorable who is making their lives miserable.

I served on a Federal jury. The judge will insist that deliberations continue at the slightest evidence that the jury can’t agree on a verdict. He does not want a hung jury and he has ways of preventing it—making miserable people even more miserable.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2018 4:05 PM

Ha,wishful thinking.....Manafort still has NY state fraud charges to deal with in September.You forgot this is just his 1st trial.Mueller loaded him up,even if the justice obstructing circus clown living on Pennsylvania Ave decides to pardon (I hope he does,but i feel like he won't. ...his party will crucify him on a backwards cross)

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2018 4:07 PM

it's very clear at this point that there is at least 1 fucking deplorable piece of shit who is refusing to believe Manafort did anything wrong because Trump is his/her/their god and this is all a left wing hunt!1!1!1!

I'll be shocked at this point if Manafort is convicted of all the charges. There are plenty of charges that seem straight forward but deplorables have proven they DO NOT CARE ABOUT FACTS. If they did, they wouldn't be supporting Trump

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2018 10:32 PM

and all a deplorable juror would have to do is turn on Fox "News" to be brainwashed into thinking the Manafort case is all political and no crimes were committed. There's no way with internet and phones now to stop this from happening

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2018 10:56 PM

Its not looking great for a guilty verdict as they are still deliberating what should have been a quick guilty verdict in the first day.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2018 11:24 PM

Am I correct in understanding that the jury must vote unanimously to either convict, or to aquit? And anything else would be a mistrial?

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2018 1:54 AM

[quote]Its not looking great for a guilty verdict as they are still deliberating what should have been a quick guilty verdict in the first day.

They have 18 separate counts to consider. If they’re being thorough and reviewing evidence for each one, it’s conceivable that this could go on for several more days. It’s also possible that they are finding it easy to reach unanimous verdicts on a dozen or more of the counts and they’re laboring over a small handful. There’s just no way to know.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2018 2:34 AM

[quote]considering these yahoos needed the judge to explain what reasonable doubt is i have little faith in their decision making abilities

Per Chuck Rosenberg, a former federal prosecutor now an MSNBC commentator, this is a fairly common question from juries.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2018 3:12 AM

Right, R49, and thank you. He also said that in many of the cases he has tried the jury asked for a definition of and/or clarification about reasonable doubt. According to Rosenberg, in most (if not all) of those cases, the jury returned a guilty verdict.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2018 3:26 AM

When you’re deciding whether or not to send a person to jail for life, I think it’s the smart thing to do, to get the standard defined for you by the judge.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2018 3:33 AM

R46 they have a mountain of evidence to go through and they were hoping on the first day, once they listened to the judge's instructions, then picked a foreman, to go through the mountains of evidence and match exhibits to the documents, etc. it's pretty impossible to complete that, review all the documentation, and r discuss it and reach a verdict in one day. Or two days for that matter. I never expected a quick verdict. I always expected them to take three or four days to really look at everything ask questions and then discuss it. So by day four if they aren't forthcoming then I may start to get concerned.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2018 3:47 AM

I’m wondering how voir dire went in the beginning. The judge did deny the defense request to ask prospective jurors whom they voted for. However, something had to come up about “WITCH HUNT!” I couldn’t find info about what the jurors were asked during jury selection, but I’m actually not terribly worried about deplorables on the panel. Yes, they could lie, but generally deplorables like to shout from the rooftops that anything related to Mueller’s probe is a witch hunt.

Are there any on this jury who voted from Trump? Possibly, but I’d think the prosecution did well to weed out the hardcore loons who didn’t think this former Trump campaign manager could do no wrong. Then again, nothing suprises me now.

This is a federal trial, all rulings must be unanimous for the jury. They do have a lot of charges to wade through. This takes time. A full acquittal seems very unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2018 3:55 AM

I'm ok with them taking their time and doing it right.

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2018 3:57 AM

^loons who didn’t think this former campaign manager could do [italic]any[/italic] wrong.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2018 3:57 AM

The context was criminal trials, r20 and r21.

by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2018 3:34 PM

Still no verdict and jury is done for the day. They stayed later today than usual though

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2018 10:20 PM

Still no verdict and jury is done for the day. They stayed later today than usual though

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2018 10:20 PM

1 major issue the fucking idiot judge Ellis didn't allow certain documents to be presented in the case so the jury is seeing them for the first time

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2018 10:20 PM

Manafort may be a creep but this reeks of prosecuturial overreach.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2018 10:30 PM

Oh God

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2018 10:33 PM

The title of this thread is misleading, I almost had a conniption.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2018 10:42 PM

it was some pearl clutching concern troll, r62. And the saner folk have taken over to discuss the case without clogging up the general treason threads.

I'm sure that once a verdict is reached, there will be a "BREAKING!!!" news thread.

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2018 10:48 PM

The only reason TRE45ONOUS is still in office, is those who could remove him still haven't agreed on what happens next.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2018 10:56 PM

Nothing unusual in what's going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2018 11:07 PM

Eat it OP!

by Anonymousreply 66August 21, 2018 8:56 PM

Manafort found guilty on 8 counts of bank and tax fraud, per the news now.

by Anonymousreply 67August 21, 2018 8:57 PM

Op is a dummy

by Anonymousreply 68August 21, 2018 9:00 PM

OP would make a good tv psychic.

by Anonymousreply 69August 21, 2018 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!