Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chris Pine out of "Star Trek 4"

Chris Hemsworth too.

Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth had both been set to return to Star Trek universe for the upcoming Star Trek 4, but it looks like they might be walking away. According to The Hollywood Reporter, talks between producers and both stars have ground to a halt over salary figures. Pine and Hemsworth both starred in JJ Abrams’ 2009 reboot, but both have become quite a bit more famous since – whilst the Star Trek films have just done sort of okay at the box office. Paramount is being cautious about paying whatever fee both stars now demand, and unless someone backs down, we’re not getting Star Trek 4 with Pine and Hemsworth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 21, 2018 8:44 AM

OP = worse than Hitler and Valerie Harper.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2018 1:35 PM

[quote]Can they swing for Pine, lose Hemsworth, and ditch the time travelling plot that’s already been written? Possibly, but that would likely mean a substantial time delay that would mess up everyone else’s schedules.

Fanboys have been griping about the undoubtedly silly plot that included Hemsworth in the first place.

Each movie has gotten progressively worse and more silly, like Star Wars since JJ took over that franchise, as well. And it's another one of the JJ crowd who's running STD.

If they HAD to have one of these guys, they should have gone with Whedon, not Abrams for Trek.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2018 1:37 PM

What else does Pine have going for him ? He's not the star of Wonder Woman. All of his other staring vehicles have bombed. Way to burn bridges.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2018 1:53 PM

Dumb of Pine to walk away, with the rest of the cast likely to be back. Someone should remind him that he was not the star of Wonder Woman. Hollywood needs to stop trying to shove Hemsworth down our throats. Frankly, I am okay with a Kirk-less Star Trek, let Spock or Bones fill in as captain for this movie and somehow let it be a lead in for a Next Generation reboot.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2018 1:58 PM

[quote]somehow let it be a lead in for a Next Generation reboot.

Dear god, no.

The best scenario for something related to TNG that has, in fact, been announced is a new series being done by Kurtzman: Picard about 15 years after the Nemesis movie with Stewart starring and executive producing.

We definitely do not need a reboot of TNG. Now, if they wanted to do new show set say 20-30 years after Voyager returned to earth with a whole new cast of people, that is something for which the fans have been begging.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2018 2:05 PM

Maybe the booze has caught up with him.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2018 2:08 PM

He's not aging well, if could be booze. He's getting really haggard-looking for a guy who's still in his 30s.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2018 2:14 PM

He's had awful skin since day one

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2018 2:22 PM

I've really been out of the loop here. What character was Chris Helmsworth supposed to play?

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2018 2:22 PM

[Quote] If they HAD to have one of these guys, they should have gone with Whedon, not Abrams for Trek.

Is Whedon a Trekkie?

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2018 2:25 PM

[quote]one of the JJ crowd who's running STD

Sounds like a HIPAA violation to me.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2018 2:27 PM

Chris Hemsworth played Pine's father in a flashback in the very first Star Trek film in 2009 - he died in the opening scene

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2018 2:29 PM

Thanks, R12. Yikes, I saw that film and don't even remember Helmsworth in it, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2018 2:31 PM

[quote]Is Whedon a Trekkie?

Not that has been widely reported, but that would be the point.

Both Star Trek and Star Wars stories have become more like bad fanboy fan fiction.

For Trek, you want original stories, not tired retreads of Khan or time traveling Spocks. You want the tag line - to boldly go where no one has gone before - to be an actual part of the stories. They actually need to go to new story places.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2018 2:46 PM

That's what most Trek fans want, r14. New characters in a new timeline, set after TNG/Voyager. No more reboots or prequel shit.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2018 3:38 PM

The problem is, they don't care what fans want. They want new fans.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2018 3:45 PM

Star Trek Beyond was widely lauded as being a big improvement over the first two films, R2. Unfortunately, Into Darkness =, despite being a hit, lowered people's expectation when it came to further films. That, and Beyond's huge budget, contributed to the film's box office malaise, resulting in budget cutting for any additional films...

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2018 3:50 PM

Star Trek 4 was supposedly going to correct the "Kelvin timeline" fracture, no? It sounds like fan catnip.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2018 3:55 PM

[Quote] Unfortunately, Into Darkness =, despite being a hit, lowered people's expectation when it came to further films.

They really shouldn't have cast a reptile as Khan.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2018 4:00 PM

Why is Chris Helmsworth being pushed on us by Hollywood?

Who has Chris Helmsworth dickmatized?

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2018 4:31 PM

I feel plenty dickmatized myself, r20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2018 5:08 PM

Chris Hemsworth does nothing for me. I can look at him objectively and see that he's attractive, but I don't find him hot or interesting or fuckable. I've always felt the same about Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2018 5:09 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2018 5:12 PM

R23 Wow. That's how you look after a several day coke/alcohol binge.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2018 5:16 PM

Chris Pine is a star because he's got a big bulge and a great ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2018 5:19 PM

Pffft, pretty but unexceptional actors, let 'em go, they can get new window dressing.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2018 5:23 PM

I loved "Beyond".

But the first one was too manic for my tastes so I never watched the second one. "Beyond" turned up on prime so I watched it and really loved the story line.

It was fantastic and illogical but I still enjoyed it. And the villain was pretty damn cool.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2018 5:28 PM

I'll have to see Beyond. The first one was watchable, but not my thing, to I didn't see the second or third. I LOVED the last Star Wars, not Solo, the one starring Mark Hamill.

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2018 5:35 PM

Pine should do it out of loyalty to the franchise that gave his first big break. They shouldn't have to replace the lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2018 5:41 PM

Is it now just pretty much accepted that Chris Pine is a homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2018 5:42 PM

He's moved into Matthew Perry territory in R23

by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2018 5:56 PM

God, he was so fucking cute.

Stay away from the booze and the cigs kiddies, they'll make you looks turn to shit before you're even 40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2018 6:02 PM

They can just recast him. Star trek fan's are not attached to him in any way.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2018 1:34 PM

The fans who only know Star Trek through the new films are attached to him. I know of younger filmgoers, many female, who don't care about classic Trek but go to see the new films for Pine, Quinto, etc. A recast for those new fans would probably be a dealbreaker...

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2018 2:01 PM

What else does Pine have in the pipeline? He should just do ST4, it's not like his other non-scifi movies have done all that well.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2018 8:54 PM

This would be sad.

I hope they come to terms.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2018 9:11 PM

[quote]Star Trek 4 was supposedly going to correct the "Kelvin timeline" fracture, no?

God, I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2018 9:29 PM

^^Does that mean Winona Ryder comes back?

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote]Star Trek 4 was supposedly going to correct the "Kelvin timeline" fracture, no?

God, I hope not because it just makes the three movies even more pointless.

Also, since Yelchin died, they've stated that they do not plan to recast Chekov. At least the Kelvin timeline allows for him to be dead without further reconning the prime timeline.

As far as I'm concerned, the Kelvin timeline should just continue - with good movies.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2018 9:43 PM

Caftan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2018 1:38 AM

[quote]both have become quite a bit more famous

Pine and Hemsworth are not Oscar winners.

Why do they think they are?

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2018 1:43 AM

I hardly ever say this about any celebrity but he's aging terribly.

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2018 1:46 AM

If you like Pine, you might watch [italic]Bottle Shock[/italic], an early indie for him. The directors put more ideas into the movie than they could manage, so it isn't great. However, it has some charming moments, covers an interesting bit of American history, and stars Alan Rickman and Pine with Bill Pullman, Eliza Dushku and Dennis Farina in supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2018 1:52 AM

[quote]I hardly ever say this about any celebrity but he's aging terribly.

What has happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2018 1:55 AM

I will say this over and over and over again, you can have Chris, I will take Daddy Robert anytime even as he is today. Gorgeous Daddy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2018 1:57 AM

Elder Pine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2018 2:00 AM

The first reboot movie was … okay. Even good in spots.

The second one was one third good, one third bad, and one third terrible.

The third one was just terrible from start to finish.

I'm glad there won't be a fourth.

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2018 2:01 AM

"Beyond" was pure shit. Awful. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2018 2:04 AM

The original Star Trek crew was still the best.

The new ones are finding that out the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2018 2:13 AM

The second one was awful and the third was like a regular t.v. episode put on the big screen with nothing special outside of the new alien girl. So disappointing after how great the first one was.

Neither has shown that they can open a movie unless it involves superheroes, especially Hemsworth' s endless critical and commercial failures. I can't believe they think they will resurrect this version of Star Trek and should be paid like Tom Cruise or The Rock. Pass.

I knew Pine had some skin issues, but my God! And he has access to the best skin people in LA.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2018 2:13 AM

Star Trek Fandom is generally not forgiving of diva shit like this (Shatner was the exception that proved the rule).

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2018 2:20 AM

They will come to terms. I loved the Star Trek reboot. Casting was spot on but it is so sad that Yelchin was killed, I'm glad they are not replacing him. The second movie was a let down but it had some good moments. Third movie was back on form.

What's the Kelvin timeline?

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2018 2:21 AM

The third movie was even worse than the second one. It wasn't "back on track". It was fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2018 2:24 AM

I bet he had laser resurfacing after the first trek film came out. It used to be highly recommended for acne scarring but now they're starting to figure out that for some people it just completely fucks up collagen production a few years down the road and you end up looking worse than ever. Explains the sudden improvement followed by rapid aging.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2018 2:33 AM

I liked the first one.

Into Darkness was so bad I fell asleep in the theater.

I liked Beyond.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2018 2:42 AM

[quote]I hardly ever say this about any celebrity but he's aging terribly.

Booze, cigarettes and possibly coke.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2018 2:44 AM

[quote]Booze, cigarettes and possibly coke.

I've never understood why some actors smoke & do drugs.

Don't they realize their careers depend on their looks?

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2018 2:51 AM

Daddy Pine. Yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2018 2:55 AM

I know, r57. It is weird, so much of an actor's employment depends on their face. You'd think they would never touch cigarettes or drugs and only drink very moderately. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2018 2:56 AM

Replace Pine. He looks like shit and should not be rewarded. Hire Chris Evans and see if anyone complains.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2018 3:13 AM

Loved the first Trek re-boot, the second one was pretty good. Hated how much screen time that alien girl had in the third film. She was that franchise's Cousin Oliver, for me.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2018 3:27 AM

I didn't think Beyond was that bad, but like others have said it felt like an episode of the tv show instead of a movie. I agree that Into Darkness kinda sucked. I like Cumberbatch in other roles, but he was miscast as Khan. There is absolutely nothing firece or menacing about BC, and the actor playing Khan definitely needed to have those ablities.

The first movie was pretty fun, imho.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2018 3:31 AM

HUH?

Chris Pine is nuts! I can't think of a single film he's done outside of the Star Trek franchise! Be grateful, and grab that check, you'll be thankful at the autograph shows years from now!

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2018 3:39 AM

R63 never heard of a block buster movie named "Wonder Woman", apparently.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2018 3:47 AM

What were they expecting? $20 million each?

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2018 3:49 AM

R65 At least, I would think

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2018 4:09 AM

Wonder Woman depended on Gal Gadot, and more importantly, the director. Pine could have been replaced with a number of guys without missing a beat. In fact, everyone could have except for Gadot.

If they were asking for anything over $5 million, in the meeting I would bring up a presentation detailing their numerous box office failures outside of superhero movies. It is not if they can bargain with major acting nominations or awards, although Pine is miles ahead of Hemsworth in acting.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2018 12:02 PM

Pine knows the current re-boot is trying to re-create the ensemble dynamic that made the original such a classic. If he leaves, it will be jarring because that dynamic will be disrupted. Maybe a lot of moviegoers wouldn't particularly notice or care, but ALL of the fans will and they won't take kindly to it (especially since a lot of them had to get used to Pine as Kirk, and now that they've accepted him they won't like being asked to accept yet another Kirk). I suspect Pine could care less how it shakes out. He'd like the money, but he considers himself a serious actor and wants to branch out, and who can blame him? I think he has the ability to do better than ST, but his acting choices (in his smaller films) don't do him any favors. See "People Like Us" to witness how out of his depth he can get.

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2018 12:29 PM

The Star Trek reboot did a great job with the casting of the characters (except for Uhura - who I think would be tough due to the uniqueness of the original actress, the fact that the character really did not do much in the first place, and giving her something to do by having her be in a romantic pairing with Spock was a misfire). That said, I agree the movies aren't that good (how many times are we going to see the Enterprise go through a major CGI destruction),, and while not bombs, I don't think they have been a bit of a disappointed in box office. It might be time to let the franchise take a long break.

[quote] Pine is miles ahead of Hemsworth in acting.

I don't know if I agree with this. Pine was pretty painful to watch in his ending dramatic scenes in WW and Hemsworth has loosened up in recent years. He showed some good comedic timing in Ghost Busters and Thor 3 (which was a lot more entertaining than the Star Trek movies).

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2018 12:49 PM

All Thea tors are too young for their role. Also, not bright enough. They should all be obviously geniuses to have such important positions at such young ages.

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2018 1:04 PM

Maybe this is just Pine's way of quitting. I doubt he gives a shit about these mediocre movies.

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2018 1:21 PM

Chris Pine was 29 in the first movie. Shatner was 35 when the tv show premiered. But it was that "different era" thing where people just looked and acted more mature. I was more worried that the reboot would be a bro movie (like the reboot of Hawaii 5-0 which is unwatchable) but fortunately it did not seem that way to me, not overly so anyway.

A mistake they made in the 2nd movie was killing off Pike. I know it provided the motivation but y'know, lots of things could have provided motivation.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2018 2:31 PM

Pine is too old and fat for this.

by Anonymousreply 73August 20, 2018 2:47 PM

Pine needs to ask his dad for advice on skincare and healthy living and stop doing...whatever it is he's been doing.

by Anonymousreply 74August 20, 2018 2:57 PM

Hemsworth is good for playing a dufus or the like, I will grant you that.

by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2018 3:16 PM

I always thought ZQ would quit before Pine did.

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2018 3:50 PM

Being a lead ST actor is a sinecure; foolish to give it up.

by Anonymousreply 77August 20, 2018 5:15 PM

ZQ has bills to pay, baby! Got to bring home the bacon!

by Anonymousreply 78August 20, 2018 5:21 PM

This has to be a negotiating tactic by Pine. This is his only shot at being the lead of a major theatrical release. It’s not like studios are banging on his door to lead films, is it?

And ZQ would take any role he was offered in a studio film; he will make these films as long as they want him.

by Anonymousreply 79August 20, 2018 5:23 PM

ZQ has a pouty, petulant boyfriend who hasn't worked a day in his life to support. And they live in Manhattan. He needs to take whatever job he's offered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2018 6:27 PM

As much as I love Chris Hemsworth in stuff like Thor, I'd be happy if he was taken out of Star Trek. His character was not that major. I don't want them creating some stupid plot around just cause he is star. Like how they have been ruining the X-men movies with J-Law trying to make Mystique the central character that is half villain/hero. She was never that big of a character! And then the story sucks, kick her out! No one is going to X-men to see J-Law pander for screen time. And the millions they were offering Pine and Hemsworth then good riddance the opportunities these people get and forget how they came from nothing is infuriating. Like Shailene Woodley refusing to do any more Divergent work, bitch you would be nothing if it wasn't for that movie launching you.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2018 6:43 PM

i have no doubt that The studio and Chris Pine will come to an agreement.

Although I think Hemsworth is great in his Thor capacity, playing Kirk's father who was, what was he? Not a Captain. Was he an engineer? Not the "leader" exactly and the deadpan humor of Thor isn't going to be appropriate with Kirk Sr. I did really like his opening scene in the first movie, it was very moving.

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2018 6:47 PM

Pine isn't asking for more money, he just wants the studio to honor the contract he signed when they made the last one. The promised him a certain amount to keep him attached to the franchise and are trying to weasel out of it.

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2018 9:33 PM

I do hope they come to an agreement with Pine. His Kirk is central to this new Trek incarnation and if he's not there, or replaced by another actor, it lessens my interest in future movies by more than half, because the whole dynamic will be different. A Pine-less Kirk is a no for me.

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2018 9:42 PM

Hemsworth was only in the first movie for five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2018 9:45 PM

The first time I became aware of Hemsworth was from watching the opening scene of Star Trek and thinking he was stunningly handsome. I thought he was great as Kirk's father.

I don't want any movie with Kirk's father and see no need for him to be in it.

I'd rather they make their own mythos with new characters and villains. If they're going to retread villains, I'd rather they go back to Klingons and reuse Michael Ansara's Kang.

by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2018 9:51 PM

[quote]Pine isn't asking for more money, he just wants the studio to honor the contract he signed when they made the last one. The promised him a certain amount to keep him attached to the franchise and are trying to weasel out of it.

Terrence Howard tried the same thing and got booted from the Ironman movies as a result.

by Anonymousreply 87August 21, 2018 4:38 AM

His other movies haven't done all that well and he's not getting any younger or hotter. He should stay with the Star Trek gig.

by Anonymousreply 88August 21, 2018 5:12 AM

Oh, I didn't see Wonder Woman. I knew he was in it, but I forgot.

He played the Karen Lynn Gorney role....

by Anonymousreply 89August 21, 2018 5:42 AM

The day that Hollywood lets a franchise actual die and go away permanently, will also be the day when hell freezes over.

by Anonymousreply 90August 21, 2018 5:52 AM

R83, R84 = Chris Pine

Hi, Chris! Welcome to DataLounge, we love/hate/wanna fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 91August 21, 2018 8:31 AM

Chris is the grandson of actress Anne Gwynne, who appeared in such Hollywood classics as "Ride 'Em, Cowboy," "We've Never Been Licked, " and "Weird Women."

by Anonymousreply 92August 21, 2018 8:41 AM

Are those classic porn films R92? I've starred in a porn with Chris Pine myself. Don't inform him.

by Anonymousreply 93August 21, 2018 8:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!