Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Fabulous Allan Carr

I finally ended up watching it. I'm a great fan of Can't Stop the Music and flamboyant cheesiness and this was divine.

I was especially jealous of the decadent gay pool parties; I spotted Al Parker in one of the photos.

Has anyone else watched this documentary? Were any of the older DL folks witnesses to the depicted debauchery?

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 10:03 AM

Fabuloush

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2018 11:58 PM

Oh God, he was such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2018 12:01 AM

Caftanic fabulousness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2018 12:05 AM

this is fabulous?

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2018 12:12 AM

I finally got a chance to see it last night. It was great. I loved the Party Animals book on him. Automat Pictures is always so reliable when it comes to profiles on gay celebs from yesteryear. I loved their docs on Jack Wagner, Divine, and Tab Hunter. I think there's another one I'm forgetting. I'd love to see a biopic or limited series on Carr.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2018 10:54 PM

Is it good?

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2018 11:04 PM

Was he really an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2018 12:36 AM

You know, I get the idea that Carr was going for with the 1989 Oscar Awards. Kind of a salute to old, vintage, glamorous Hollywood, etc. He just didn't execute the idea very well. Guess the public humiliation of all of this pretty much destroyed him.

The Oscars did keep one or two of Carr's ideas though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2018 12:38 AM

I've never read that Carr was an asshole. People have theorized that when Carr's epic Oscar fail happened that Hollywood seized upon the opportunity to get rid of the guy who had "seen too much" and who "knew too much".

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2018 12:40 AM

Did he really have the exact replica of Frenchy's bedroom from Grease in his house or is that just an urban gay myth?

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2018 12:45 AM

When Rob Lowe took the actress who was to play Snow White in the Oscar skit to meet Carr at his house, Lowe told her “Never trust a man in a caftan.” Truer words have never been spoken.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2018 12:49 AM

Allan and Shelley Winters shared a love of caftans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2018 1:03 AM

he had a terrible reputation in Hollywood, and in that town, that is saying something. One example ...... He spread the gossip that Rock Hudson had aids, somewhat prior to the story breaking because Hudson had lead him on on a project Carr wanted him for and Hudson bailed at the last minute a few years before............ and that is how he got his payback.......

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2018 5:37 AM

He was a RICH horrible flamboyant FAG

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2018 7:38 AM

I saw the film. Sad to see how Valerie Perrine is now.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2018 5:52 AM

That Snow White was pretty dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2018 6:02 AM

There is a biography about a decade ago. It was informative but not great. There is also a Hollywood classic “You’ll Never eatL Lunch in this town again!” Which was written by an agent. It talks about about Allan Carr. He was apparently very rich and powerful.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2018 6:44 AM

Snow White was very good till it drifted

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2018 6:46 AM

Poor Valerie is in a terrible way with Parkinson's. Upset me to see her this ill, though I have to say that facially she is still a very attractive woman without the use of surgery or injectables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 7:08 AM

Oh, poor Valerie. A singular presence and an underrated actress, I'm so sorry to see her suffering from Parkinson's disease.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 7:21 AM

So - loved Valerie back in the day! - and it’s so sad to see her looking so unwell now :(

Question tho: I’d read that lots of people who were heavy coke users back in the seventies and eighties seem to have contracted Parkinson’s - and that there definitely seems to be a link between it and heavy coke use when young.

Valerie was certainly a fixture on the party circuit then - does anyone know if she was a user (tho really - weren’t they all?)

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 8:27 AM

Seeing Allan's comeback with La Cage was pleasing. That interview with Lorna Luft was odd, when she was telling the story of how he wanted her to play Snow White. All those jump cuts seemed to imply Lorna was rambling.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 8:56 AM

I met Steve Guttenberg in the early 80's (before Police Academy and Three Men and a Baby) and told him I had seen him in a movie but couldn't think which one. He rattled off 5 or 6 titles, pretty much everything he had done to that point.... except Can't Stop the Music. I finally realized that was where I'd seen him, but since he clearly wasn't proud of it enough to mention it I played dumb when he asked me if I had remembered the next day. Really nice guy, btw.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 10:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!