Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Juliet Hulme and Pauline Parker

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2020 11:32 PM

[quote] Having been told that she would be going to live in South Africa, and with Pauline’s mother standing in the way of the two teenagers both moving there, she feared Pauline would take her own life ‘and it would be my fault’.

That's interesting. For a very long time Perry claimed that she participated in the murder because she was taking medication for her tuberculosis that affected her mentally.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2018 9:11 PM

Terrific movie, isn't it?

It was based pretty much verbatim on the diaries of Pauline Parker, the girl whose mother was murdered by her daughter and her friend. I always thought that the movie made the mother appear nicer than she really was, because the actress played her as worried and kind of sympathetic. But if you listen to what she actually says to her kid, it's all vile.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2018 9:12 PM

Honestly, one of my top ten films of all time. Granted, this was before Peter Jackson's huger successes. It was when I saw Kate Winslett as a true actress. She was unreal in it. As was the other actress. At the time (KEY WORDS), it was ground breaking.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2018 9:15 PM

Pauline Parker/Hilary Nathan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2018 9:23 PM

I worked for Anne Perry’s publisher back, back in the day - they tried to cover up her true identity

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2018 9:26 PM

To me Anne Perry has never seemed so much remorseful as sorry that she got outed. As R1 noted, she claimed for a long time that she had no memory of the murder due to the medication she had been prescribed. But the two of them had hatched an elaborate plot to murder Pauline's mother, then escape to New York, become famous writers, and ultimately conquer Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2018 10:15 PM

So, are they lesbians?

They seem to have been involved in a lesbian relationship as teenagers, yet Holme/Perry at least grew up to marry a man. Don't know about Parker, didn't she have girlfriends later in life?

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2018 10:44 PM

Anne Perry has denied being gay and Hilary Nathan has denied it through her sister, who was interviewed by a New Zealand magazine in the mid-'90s (see link).

Hilary/Pauline was reportedly spotted at lesbian bars after she moved to England, but before the murder she got in trouble for sneaking out and hooking up with a male student at the University of Christchurch, where Anne/Juliet's father was the chancellor.

They were assumed to have slept together based on passages from Pauline's diary:

[quote]Pauline was allowed to stay at the Hulme's home for two weeks before Juliet's departure. Defence psychiatrist Reginald Medlicott said, during this period, the violence in their writing increased to "a fantastic crescendo". Writing their novels and worshipping their "Saints" in the middle of the night, the girls would return to bed together to act out how they believed each of them made love. These diary entries for June 1954 were used in the trial to show the girls' relationship was homosexual: June 11: "…we acted out how each Saint would make love in bed, only doing the first seven as it was 7.30am by then. We felt very satisfied…" June 13: "We spent a hectic night going through he Saints. It was wonderful! Heavenly! Beautiful! And ours! We felt satisfied indeed. We have now learned the peace of the thing called bliss; the joy of the thing called sin."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2018 11:10 PM

Perry/Hulme is a sociopath, she committed a murder & writes murder mysteries for a living, thumbing her nose at her victim & the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2018 11:24 PM

She is strange.^ I remember reading an interview and she said words to the effect “when something that terrible happens to you as a child” like she was a victim. I’m sure it was far worse for the mother who died at the hands of her child.

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2018 12:35 AM

But the mother was VILE! If anyone deserved to die, it was she.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2018 12:48 AM

How is she allowed to live in the US when she is a convucted murderer? They just let in anybody nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2018 1:01 AM

OP, there's a great book on the case "So Brilliantly Clever" by Peter Graham. Interesting that for years the two women were living just a quick drive away from each other (though never seeing each other.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2018 1:13 AM

The mother was VILE according to her daughter's diary, which is the primary source material for the film and for most of the discussion of this case.

But R11 do you think teenage girls are accurate judges of a parent's character?

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2018 1:39 AM

Are Anne Perry's books any good?

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2018 1:44 AM

What was so vile about the mother? Specifics?

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2018 2:21 AM

"They just let in anybody nowadays."

Nowadays? She's been living here for years. Btw, she was a juvenile at the time of the crime

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2018 2:24 AM

"The mother was VILE according to her daughter's diary, which is the primary source material for the film and for most of the discussion of this case."

Considering the fact that Pauline Parker was a sociopath I think her view of her mother would be rather suspect. Anyway, neither she nor Juliet Hulme aka Anne Perry have ever expressed any remorse for their truly ghastly crime. Perry says she never felt any sorrow over the death of Parker's mother because she hardly knew the woman. She blames her participation in the murder on being ill and on drugs. Parker is a very hostile old lady (when somebody came to where she lived in hopes of speaking with her she screeched and almost bodily drove him off the place) who has never said a word about feeling guilty for bashing in her mother' head over forty times. Photos of the two after their arrest are truly chilling; Parker looks pleased and Hulme is grinning from ear to ear. Two nasty little murderous girls.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2018 2:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2018 2:37 AM

Yes, two nasty girls. And I totally believe a teen girl’s assessment of her mother as VILE shortly before she murders her.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2018 2:42 AM

Their parents were homophobes

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2018 2:49 AM

No offence, R18, but you don't have the faintest idea what either of them feel about the murder.

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2018 3:51 AM

Yes, R21, but everyone was in the 1950s.

And some if Perry/Hilmes' books are quite good, I enjoyed some of her 19th century police mysteries before I found out who she really was.

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2018 6:01 AM

Both Winslet and Melanie Linsky were fantastic in that movie. It’s really too bad that Linsky hasn’t gotten the same accolades that Winslet has. I don’t even need to see her in starring roles in blockbusters. Just a more solid career in indie films would be nice. It’s hard to accept she had to slum it on Two and a Half Men.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2018 7:47 AM

Lynskey said that slumming it in 2.5 Men makes it possible for her to take passion projects

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2018 9:31 AM

So were they caught in a [italic]folie à deux[/italic], a shared psychosis, and once separated by jail and time, both were comparatively normal again?

Or were both "scared straight" by jail, and that's why they never offended again?

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2018 10:46 AM

Lynskey probably made big bucks on Two and a Half Men

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2018 3:14 PM

Good questions, R26, and I wish someone knew the answers.

But the fact is all we really know is that neither one has been caught committing another murder.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2018 3:41 PM

Can I touch it?

Love her descent on the stairs with that dreamy dramatic string arrangement!

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2018 3:43 PM

Stick it up your bot tom!

You know she really wanted to go all out and let him have it verbally and vocally but she’s a proper lady!

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2018 3:46 PM

Perry's books are superb

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2018 3:50 PM

I hated that movie. The poor woman! The murdering scene was so real.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2018 4:00 PM

The grunt that the mother lets out as the brick smashes her skull is AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2018 4:06 PM

R33 that's the grunt I was thinking of! It's awful!

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2018 4:10 PM

R2 Sarah Peirse, who played the mother, is a fascinating actress to watch. She was recently in a mini-series called Seven Types of Ambiguity, that was very good. Seeing her after nearly 25 years was almost like seeing someone come back from the dead - she's exactly the same, except older. Still a fascinating actress to watch.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2018 4:36 PM

[quote]Or were both "scared straight" by jail, and that's why they never offended again?

Anne/Juliet has stated that the prison she served her time in was brutal. Though a teenager, she was sentenced to hard labor and frequently worked until she passed out.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2018 4:40 PM

R15 the very first one that was published, The Cater Street Hangman, is very strange in its ending. Her books make for good reading, but it creeps me out that she's making a living out of crime, albeit imaginary crime. R6 and R9 are correct.

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2018 4:41 PM

R33 R34 Yes, that is an extraordinary piece of acting. It stayed with me for many years.

Watch Sarah Peirse in something else if you can.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2018 4:43 PM

"Heavenly Creatures" is Peter Jackson's one great film. I loved "Lord of the Rings", but other than that he's not much of a filmmaker, he never knows when to stop and that's why those "Hobbit" films were such a godawful overstuffed overlong mess.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2018 10:00 PM

R39, you can't blame Peter Jackson for the bloated Hobbit trilogy, that's on the production company who only cares about $$$.

In their eyes, why make a single Hobbit film and gross, say, $500 million, when they can spend a bit of extra time and money to make three films that will each gross $500 million?

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2018 8:47 AM

Thank you, R13. I didn't know about that book -- ordered it yesterday.

I wish there was a Criterion edition of Heavenly Creatures.

Melanie Lynskey is appearing now on Hulu's Stephen King mashup series "Castle Rock" as a drug-addicted, stalkerish empath. She's good, but it's a shame that she's forever stuck in the role of 'off-kilter woman.'

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2018 11:07 AM

"[R39], you can't blame Peter Jackson for the bloated Hobbit trilogy,"

I blame the production company for making three films, and I blame Peter Jackson for making the three films absolutely dreadful.

Someone needs to remake "The Hobbit", there's no reason it can't be made into a single charming film!

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2018 5:25 PM

"You don't have the faintest idea what either of them feel about the murder."

I do know that after their arrest they expressed no remorse for their crime. Statements that Perry has made about the murder indicate that she wasn't particularly affected by what she did. In fact, she says doesn't remember it or think about it at all: ""I'm not amnesiac, I just don't choose to remember certain things." When asked if she ever thought about her victim she said "No. She was somebody I barely knew." Perry has quite an ego and a great love for herself.

As for Pauline Parker, she's as strange and anti-social as she ever was. As previously stated, she violently drove off a young filmmaker named Alexander Roman who came to speak with her. He came bearing gifts; when he encountered her she snarled at him "You have the wrong person. This is the wrong place. Go immediately." She "pushed" him into a waiting car. After he left her realized he had left some battery packs for his camera in the bag of gifts he gave her. He wanted to get them back so he returned to her place. She "strode" towards him and he "recognized the look on her face, the angry, protruding lower lip, from her mug shot" She screamed at him "Get out!" He asked for the battery packs and she screamed "I burned them! I burned everything!" The taxi driver who brought the filmmaker there saw some kind of altercation going on and asked "Is there something wrong." She snarled "There is something SERIOUSLY wrong. This man is harassing me. Take him away at once." "I wouldn't let a woman like that in my pub", said the taxi driver as he and Roman drove away. Wow. Seems like Pauline Parker is still a pretty violent psycho.

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2018 11:57 PM

I loved Heavenly Creatures. Heavenly Creatures, Meet The Feebles and King Kong are my top 3 favorite Peter Jackson films.

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2018 12:08 AM

Perry sounds like a sociopath

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2018 4:33 AM

A mural that Hilary/Pauline painted in her former home in Kent, England

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2018 5:09 AM

[R40] has no idea how filmmaking works if he thinks PJ was just a gun for hire.

PJ has said it was his vision. And judging by the horrible adaptation of The Lovely Bones, the man who crafted Heavenly Creatures (one of my favorite films) is DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2018 6:46 AM

I grew up in the same town that PJ did, and went to the same school. I still live in the area and we know a lot of secrets about PJ.

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2018 6:54 AM

In Parker's defense, R43, if someone came to my house wanting to film me talking about some terrible episode from my past and threatening to destroy my anonymity and the life I'd built for myself, I'd give him the bum's rush too. And I'd throw his gifts after him!

So while I think it's entirely possible that either Parker and Hulme are sociopaths or that both are, I don't say that your episode proves that Parker is.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2018 7:17 AM

Not even just some terrible episode [R49] the worst thing you've ever done/worst day of your life.

by Anonymousreply 50August 11, 2018 5:59 PM

"So while I think it's entirely possible that either Parker and Hulme are sociopaths or that both are, I don't say that your episode proves that Parker is."

She could have politely told him to leave. He was not intent on harassing her, so he would have done so. Instead she acted like an out of control harridan, losing her temper and screaming. By the way, his mention of her mug shot photo is quite apt. Her lower lip is poked out and she looks as though she'd like to kill the photographer. That photo is truly a face of evil.

by Anonymousreply 51August 11, 2018 7:06 PM

[quote]I blame the production company for making three films, and I blame Peter Jackson for making the three films absolutely dreadful. Someone needs to remake "The Hobbit", there's no reason it can't be made into a single charming film!

r42, making films of this magnitude is a huge undertaking. Jackson had no intention of directing the Hobbit movies after the mammoth job that was LOTR, Guillermo del Toro was supposed to direct. del Toro pulled out quite close to production start and thus the job was thrust upon Jackson as he was producing the films.

by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2018 9:42 PM

The film is thirty minutes too long, and certainly all the stupid fantasyland crap needed to go, too much, adds nothing. Also found the film has a strange 'into the killing' vibe that is icky

by Anonymousreply 53August 13, 2018 6:56 AM

R48 Spill

by Anonymousreply 54August 13, 2018 7:00 AM

I just got done rewatching Heavenly Creatures for the first time in around a decade, and it still holds up. I personally don't find the fantasy sequences in it overlong or overbearing; I think they are balanced nicely against reality and show the extent of the girls' wild imaginations veering into madness. Some of the sequences are even humorous, such as the Orson Welles bit where they imagine they're being chased by him after they see "The Third Man" in the movie theater.

At the end of the day, though, the film really belongs to Melanie Lynskey and Kate Winslet—both of them gave phenomenal performances in it. The last twenty minutes of the film are almost sickening to watch. Powerful, but unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2020 6:28 AM

Wow, this just blows my mind how the UK/New Zealand treats its criminals—murderers even!

I saw the movie and thought it was excellently done with phenomenal performances by all and found it to be frightening and chilling (as said upthread, those last 20 minutes feel almost “too real” and are unforgettable—whether you want to forget it or not).

I would never have guessed after watching it that the girls were going to get such swanky, care-free lives after what they did.

It reminds me (sadly) of the Karla Homolka (sorry if that’s misspelled) from Canada, where the bitch raped and murdered her own 17 year old sister (and others) and yet she now has a home, husband, kids, and a new identity courtesy of the Canadian government. It’s unreal. These governments treat these murderers like children instead of criminals.

I feel awful for all of their victims because they never really get justice and their families have to live with the knowledge that their loved one’s murderers are out there living there best life with the help of their own government. Completely wrong in my opinion.

By the time you are 15 years old, you know what the fuck you are doing and definitely know what murder and death is.

The girls are probably both sociopaths and basically got just a slap on the wrist for such a brutal and horrible crime.

They were out by the time they were 20, given new names and identities by the UK government, and at least one of them is a millionaire best selling author in a luxury home. Great job, UK!

They served as much as someone in the US might serve for an armed robbery or drug deal and then they get great new lives and both act very entitled and don’t seem to care about the poor mother they killed.

I have no proof that they are sociopaths (though I suspect they are) but I can say for sure that they are both bitches!

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2020 12:18 PM

That article posted above goes to great lengths to point out that Juliet Hulme/Anne Perry’s “breathtaking” 400,000 pound house in Scotland was built and designed by her “from the ground up” and was *“Built in the shape of an H”*.

The article mentions that detail several times.

Is it just a coincidence she chose that very specific shape/letter to build the luxury home she has lived for 25 or more years at into or does it signify something deeper?

Is she a narcissist and the “H” is a throwback to how proud she is of her *true* name, Hulme?

Or is she giving an even bigger middle finger to her murder victim, who just happens to be named Honora?

by Anonymousreply 57February 19, 2020 12:27 PM

*I don’t care how good that evil bitch writes; she’s still evil and I wouldn’t want her next door to me.

by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2020 12:28 PM

Okay, look at Juliet Hulme/Anne Perry (blonde) looking at reporters/photogs during the trial; beaming with joy and loving the attention!

I’m convinced she has sociopath face. In all other pics she is smiling cooly or staring placidly with dead eyes.

She’s pretty when young, but it’s her creepy, dead eyes that give her away every time.

Her childhood pictures look the same. In fact as a school child she really has the whole “Bad Seed” vibe going on with her cherubic blonde looks and cold dead eyes.

She may he a born sociopath. I find her very creepy and her public success very creepy too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2020 12:38 PM

Cold eyes showing (shudder...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2020 12:40 PM

On the right is Pauline’s mother, who these bitches killed...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2020 12:49 PM

I realize I’m basing this on a superficial assessment, but the friendship pictured at R59 makes no sense to me.

Pauline on the left looks like such a little dolt. Why would someone that looks and carries herself like Juliet be friends with the likes of Pauline except to have someone to manipulate and feel superior over?

It seems like a constant exercise in ‘what instincts can I get this little idiot to ignore THIS time?’

by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2020 1:52 PM

[quote]Pauline on the left looks like such a little dolt. Why would someone that looks and carries herself like Juliet be friends with the likes of Pauline except to have someone to manipulate and feel superior over

That's a pretty superficial reading. It's been explained time and again that they shared many of the same tastes, interests, even obsessions, and had similar sensibilities. They were curious, artsy, imaginative teenagers who were being stifled in a culturally undernourished family environment and bonded over that.

by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2020 6:58 PM

Interview with PJ and the ladies in 2015. About halfway down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2020 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!