Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscars Won’t Televise All Awards, Adds Popular Film Category

Oh, good lord. Achievement in Popular Film??! Next they’ll break the categories down by race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 10, 2018 9:13 PM

Best Sequel!

Best Super Hero Movie!

Best Reboot!

Prettiest Smile!

Best Snapchat!

Best Fast and Furious Movie!

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2018 3:37 PM

Achievement in Popular Film? That's their way of honoring box office smashes that have no business being considered for Best Picture. Ugh. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2018 3:38 PM

Well its MTV Movie Awards, I guess...

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2018 3:38 PM

"Next they’ll break the categories down by race"

Yawn, freepers have to make everything about race, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2018 3:40 PM

This is their way to make sure “Black Panther” still wins something even when Oscar voters snub it like “Wonder Woman” and “Deadpool.”

Goodbye short film and sound categories during the broadcast. Those are obviously the ones they’ll ditch.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2018 3:42 PM

That's sure to bring in the teens by the droves. And the ads will be a windfall! Hello ratings gold!

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2018 3:46 PM

It's going further down the ghetto drain by the minute.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2018 3:47 PM

the Achievement in popular film Award /aka the Adam Sandler award goes to Chris Pratt for SuperFundie!

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2018 3:48 PM

"It's going further down the ghetto drain by the minute."

Only a retarded racist would say something like this, it's especially funny since most Academy voters are white anyway

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2018 3:49 PM

Look at all the old white men have meltdowns on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2018 3:55 PM

I'll be contrarian and say I think an achievement in popular film category is a fine idea. These blockbusters are a major part of the movie industry, might as well have an award that recognizes the best blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2018 3:55 PM

CAN'T THEY JUST RE-BRAND IT AS THE THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS 2 ?

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2018 3:56 PM

The Oscars has always been a marketing tool so it isn’t surprising that they would adapt to the changing market.

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2018 3:56 PM

Exactly r13, what is the harm to throw in an award to try to attract a larger audience and remain relevant.

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2018 3:58 PM

Will this change impact my Gucci Slyvie masterpiece?

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2018 4:00 PM

[quote] Adds Popular Film Category

That will be a nice change of pace. Most of the films that win, people didn't really like or didn't think they deserved to win. The Hollywood voters did. Those are two separate things

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2018 4:05 PM

So I guess we’ll never see Glenn receive her Honorary Oscar....🤭😬

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2018 4:06 PM

"Most of the films that win, people didn't really like or didn't think they deserved to win."

Most people probably haven't even seen the movies that have won in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2018 4:09 PM

After Glenn wins hers, the only white woman I want to see getting Oscar noms is Meryl Streep. Fill the categories with color. And make some undeserving white women -- Hillary Swank, Jessica Lang, that French one -- hand back their Oscars

#OscarsStillSoWhite

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2018 4:09 PM

[quote]Goodbye short film and sound categories during the broadcast. Those are obviously the ones they’ll ditch.

*cough*

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2018 4:14 PM

We need anti-bigotry Oscar revisionism: Dorothy Dandridge should've won in 1954; Meryl in 1985, 1987, 1995, 2003, 2009, 2013. To say nothing of the lack of noms for PoC.

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2018 4:15 PM

Who votes for Most Popular? One film will be the best and another will be the most popular? The Grammys did something similar and it just made the award more of a joke...

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2018 4:15 PM

[quote]Yawn, freepers have to make everything about race, don't they?

#OscarsSoWhite

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2018 4:16 PM

Translation: no fucking way are we giving Black Panther a "serious" Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2018 4:16 PM

This show will be 5 hrs long.

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2018 4:17 PM

r19 is trolling of course. Loves Glenn Close, but can't spell Jessica Lange's name? Okay.

r23, the changes have nothing to do with race, it's about trying to get more people to watch. You making it about race for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2018 4:18 PM

Yes this conversation has literally nothing to do with race, but OP is the one that first tried to interject race-baiting for whatever stupid reasons. Let's not.

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2018 4:20 PM

Calm down. Lots of international film festivals give out a juried best picture award, and then some kind of audience favoritte. It’s been done for years all over the place.

This will actually help end all the high/low snarling the Oscars have been trying to sidestep for decades.

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2018 4:22 PM

But those film festivals probably still have some limits as to the garbage that can win such an award, right R28? I do they really give awards to super hero movies?

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2018 4:34 PM

R28 - that may be true, I have no idea what the hgh/low snarling has been. The article makes it clear the intent of the popular film category is to boost ratings. Like it or not the years with the highest rating are those when blockbusters were nominated. The new category guarantees not only nominations but also an award. People get to see their favorite stars.

We know there are PR firms knocking themselves out to get nominations. So the process is already corrupted. Why not add a category that will draw a TV audience? If ratings keep dropping the Academy Awards could end up on C-SPAN.

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2018 4:42 PM

*Or do they

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2018 4:43 PM

[quote][R19] is trolling of course. Loves Glenn Close, but can't spell Jessica Lange's name?

No, I'm totally serious.

As for Lang/Lange that's a easy error. Not everyone spells their name properly.

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2018 4:50 PM

Calm down. This is only about ratings and getting people to tune into the ceremony again. It takes nothing away from the other films. However, can a film win best picture and most popular picture?

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2018 5:11 PM

I'm sure the answer is yes r33.

This is no different than when the Oscars introduced the "Best Animated Film" category in 2001.

And "Up" and "Toy Story 3" were nominated for both "Best Animated Film" and "Best Picture"

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2018 5:15 PM

That was my question, r33. My guess is that the induction of this category is to boost viewership. I agree that the People's Choice and MTV Movie Awards are for the blockbuster type of films, and it's not as if those award shows have tons of viewers either. Half of the presenters are the blockbuster stars anyway. Might as well give them another reason to be there.

While I like him as a person and he does do what he does well, it won't be long until we have Academy Award Winner, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

With the expansive arena of film and media in general, the idea of a "prestige" or "honor" in receiving an Oscar will fade. In a couple of years they'll likely add the "Best Performance by an Instagram Model in a YouTube Red Video" film category.

I'll get over it, but I thought the stretching of the Best Picture category to 10 was to include the popular films? I guess it wasn't enough. If any DC movie gets a nod, I'll expect Sharnado to sweep at the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2018 5:28 PM

So the last Pirates film is a now a slam dunk for a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2018 5:34 PM

Oh c’mon now. If you can accept that most Oscar winners are the ones who put on the best campaign, then you should be able to accept that they are trying to add this category to make the awards more accessible to a wider audience which will expose those small and indecent films to more eyeballs. This is not the end of the world or a diluting of the award.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2018 5:38 PM

r35 is exaggerating. The idea of a "popular film" category is nothing new. The first Oscar ceremony had two best picture categories - one for "best picture" and another for "best unique and artistic picture". The former was won by Wings (a big blockbuster) and the latter was won by Sunrise (an artier movie)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2018 5:40 PM

What about best CHRISTIAN film?

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2018 5:55 PM

There's a good point made in this article here:

[quote] If there are ten Best Picture nominees and then five additional Best Popular Film nominees, you’re now approaching ten percent of all of a year’s wide releases getting Best Picture nominations. That’s just too many.

Now that they're adding a Best Popular Film category, I think they should cut the number of Best Picture nominations back to five at most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2018 5:59 PM

[quote]If there are ten Best Picture nominees and then five additional Best Popular Film nominees

So, a film can only be nominated in one of those categories? They're assuming if a film is popular it could not possibly be nominated for Best Picture? And vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2018 6:25 PM

I suspect films will be eligible for nominations in both categories, R41, but in reality I don't think there'll be much overlap.

by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2018 6:31 PM

LMAO, of course this is their way of "fixing" the Oscars. First of all, it's a cliche that people don't want to see Best Sound Mixing/Sound Editing/etc. and it should've been taken off the telecast years ago. And the "Most Popular Film" is yet another patronizing choice in a sea of them. Maybe rethink using awards ceremony as a public venue for their tone-deaf political Twitter posts, allowing them to preach their need to keep on slave-wager employees instead of hiring an American worker for a livable wage, or actresses who sucked a dick to gain leverage in getting a role expecting to be treated with the credibility of a victim for it, and essentially the 1% bitching about the stupid choices of the 99% while expecting them to watch with bated breath and buy all the Axe body spray advertised.

Colbert hosting the Emmys was the nadir of this and it came as a surprise to no one outside of Hollywood that people would finally be fed up with this. It used to be understood that people shouldn't talk about politics in outside circles without alienating some of the people around them. Not saying this should be the way, but when you use an awards ceremony as a way to preach your (cloistered) worldview, you can't be expecting when people turn it off too.

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2018 6:34 PM

The category I want to see is best performance on a casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2018 6:36 PM

Best Bearding!

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2018 6:38 PM

Now that this category exists, I hope Black Panther isn’t nominated for best picture and just gets the best popular award instead.

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2018 6:41 PM

W&W for r43.

by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2018 6:48 PM

Harvey's whores should hand back their Oscars

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2018 6:55 PM

But who gets the Oscar and who gets to make an acceptance speech in the best popular film ? The director ?

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2018 6:56 PM

New Mission Impossible film wins the best popular film it's a really good film

by Anonymousreply 50August 8, 2018 6:57 PM

Mad Max absolutely sucks. Hardcore Parkour. We should revoke them Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 51August 8, 2018 6:59 PM

The producers accept the award, like the BP winners do, R49.

I wouldn't mind that, r50. It was good and Henry Cavill in a tux is always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 52August 8, 2018 7:00 PM

r5 is right. Although I'm afraid that Marvel will be a nominee every year they release a movie. Which is every year. I'd love it if a horror movie won (although "Silence of the Lambs" was considered a thriller).

by Anonymousreply 53August 8, 2018 7:03 PM

What are ratings? And which streaming service will have the ceremony available to view?

by Anonymousreply 54August 8, 2018 7:06 PM

Still can't believe Mad Max Fury Road won Oscar for Best Costume Design!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 8, 2018 7:08 PM

The 5 (only 5?!) nominees for Best Picture in 1978 were Annie Hall; The Goodbye Girl; Julia; Star Wars; and The Turning Point.

That's a pretty good mix of art and commerce. At lest three of those films were "popular" and two were smashes. Sure, Annie Hall beat Star Wars, but the nom that Star Wars got was in the Best Picture category, back when it was more of a big deal to be nominated. Same with Goodbye Girl. If they had been relegated to a "popular" category, it would have diminished the value of the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 56August 8, 2018 7:11 PM

They should just call it the Black Panther award because they only created it to save themselves from being called racists by Twitter trolls when Black Panther isn't nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2018 8:49 PM

I certainly agree with making it a shorter broadcast. And the new award can't really hurt anything. It will be interesting to see if movie producers will want to get a nomination in that category? Might make them more money and not exactly prestigious. But what good is it, if nobody is watching the broadcast. They almost had to do this.

by Anonymousreply 58August 8, 2018 8:53 PM

Quite frankly, it would have made more sense to create a best picture - drama and best picture - action/comedy.. But I really hope that people don’t make this racial because of Black Panther. That would really be unfortunate, because people have been talking about ways to broaden the appeal of the Oscars for years now. This is not some special “set-aside” for Black Panther.

by Anonymousreply 59August 8, 2018 8:59 PM

So if it's most popular I guess it's based on how much it made at the box office. So there really doesn't need to be any nominations.

by Anonymousreply 60August 8, 2018 9:04 PM

Too lazy to read the article but who picks the nominees and eventual winner for Best Popular Film? And what would be the criteria - b.o. gross?

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2018 9:07 PM

Yeah, I thought the award for popular movies was the money.

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2018 9:07 PM

The Oscars can put someone into a coma. Funny how they think they need to keep changing the rules and categories when nobody even gives a s**t anymore. You know the winners three months before the ceremony. It's the dullest "show" on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2018 9:10 PM

R38 Had no idea 'Sunrise' got a special Oscar, it should have won for best pic, it is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2018 9:11 PM

Two things: this is a remarkably shitty idea and will in no way entice more viewers to sit through a three hour ceremony just to see one award. You either care about the Oscars or you don’t. Adding a People’s Choice award or whatever isn’t going to change shit.

And second, this has corporate fingerprints all over it. Who broadcasts the awards? ABC, which is owned by Disney which will soon own most of Fox. Which corporation contributes the most money to AAMPAS aka the Academy? Why that would be Disney. And which studio never seems to see its films in the hunt for awards, save outside the animation category?

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all subterfuge— a way to create a backlash that ensures say Black Panther (tm Narvel/Disney) a Best Picture slot.

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2018 9:12 PM

WTH are the criteria? I'm on board with this if ROB LOWE can present it each year after a CRAPTASTIC production number that summarizes each nominee with stupefying glamour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2018 9:14 PM

"Maybe rethink using awards ceremony as a public venue for their tone-deaf political Twitter posts, allowing them to preach their need to keep on slave-wager employees instead of hiring an American worker for a livable wage, or actresses who sucked a dick to gain leverage in getting a role expecting to be treated with the credibility of a victim for it, and essentially the 1% bitching about the stupid choices of the 99% while expecting them to watch with bated breath and buy all the Axe body spray advertised."

Translation: I'm a racist Republican and I'm pissed that most people in Hollywood don't share my far right views. You freepers keep forgetting that Trump lost the popular vote. Love how you think 99% of people support Trump.

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2018 9:16 PM

Won't it highlight the fact that most "popular/action" movies are dominated and lead by men?

by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2018 9:27 PM

So ABC was apparently behind the push for this popular film category. ABC just happens to be owned by Disney who also owns Marvel. This pretty much gives Disney a guaranteed Oscar win every year. Nothing like paying the Academy to give you a high profile Oscar every year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2018 9:57 PM

If they have a most popular shouldn't have nominations or voting. Just add up the box office receipts. If they want to include Star Wars and Marvel they should just have a scifi or. adventure category. It would be less patronizing. I've always thought there should be separate comedy and drama awards. The Grammys have a bunch of categories and then have album of the year and song of the year. The Oscars could do the same.

I think the biggest problem the Oscars have in terms of relevancy is that a lot of the prestige films aren't very good and are often formulaic. Back in the nineties and before, the nominated movies were popular. They weren't usually the biggest block busters, but they made a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2018 9:59 PM

[quote] It's the dullest "show" on Earth.

*Ahem*

by Anonymousreply 71August 8, 2018 10:21 PM

None of this is a surprise. Think about how networks have changed the coverage of the DNC and RNC conventions. Look at the change in the coverage of Olympics.

R61 - none of that has been decided.

by Anonymousreply 72August 8, 2018 10:32 PM

If they have a popular film category, they should have one for artistic/indie films.

by Anonymousreply 73August 8, 2018 10:34 PM

Weak, r67

by Anonymousreply 74August 8, 2018 10:36 PM

I love how everyone on the internet is trying to blame Black Panther for this change. Sweethearts, Black Panther was going to get a slew of nominations anyway. It's not the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 75August 8, 2018 10:37 PM

Chris Pratt, 8 time Oscar Award Winner is presenting tonight!

by Anonymousreply 76August 8, 2018 10:39 PM

Yea, this would make sense if they also added an independent film category, and had the best of those two (pop and indie) be represented in the best picture category.

by Anonymousreply 77August 8, 2018 10:43 PM

Black Panther was a great movie, but it deserves to compete as Best Picture of the Year, where it belongs. "Best Popular Film" is asinine, and it demeans both the films that are nominated for that category (like they're not good enough to compete with "real movies") and the films nominated for Best Picture of the Year (you're good, but the public doesn't give a shit about you). It should be Best Film of the year.

All these ideas over the last decade have been stupid and haven't helped the telecast AT ALL. Go back to five nominees for Best Picture. Ditch Best Animated Feature, which has become the obligatory "Let's give an award to Pixar" category and now this nonsense. And please, go back to putting the honorary winners on the actual show. Shit, at this point I wouldn't care if they just did the honorary achievement awards at the show and did all the other categories in a private ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 78August 8, 2018 10:44 PM

If they want more viewers, they should also give out "Worst" awards in all the categories.

by Anonymousreply 79August 8, 2018 10:44 PM

Black Panther was lousy. I never pay to see Marvel movies. I am opposed to their takeover of the cinema. I sometimes watch them once they're free on TV. But the reviews of Black Panther led me to believe it was a Great Movie. Bullshit. Boring. Just like Great Movie Wonder Woman was.

by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2018 10:47 PM

Evolve or die bitches!

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2018 10:49 PM

Wonder Woman was better than Black Panther, r80.

by Anonymousreply 82August 8, 2018 10:50 PM

This cheapens my work. With that being said, G might finally win.

by Anonymousreply 83August 8, 2018 10:51 PM

R80 all superhero/space movies are crap..

by Anonymousreply 84August 8, 2018 10:52 PM

R80 So agree, what are reviewers eating nowadays to believe WW and BP were decent movies?

by Anonymousreply 85August 8, 2018 10:55 PM

no matter what it cheapens the quality because many box office smashes have been nominated for best picture. In the years in which no "big film" is really that good, it will basically win a consolation prize by nabbing the "achievement in popular film" award. But ratings are ratings I guess.

by Anonymousreply 86August 8, 2018 10:56 PM

I remember the Oscars night that Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty screwed up the Best Picture Oscar winner. Was that two years ago? DL was really fun that night.

by Anonymousreply 87August 8, 2018 11:01 PM

r87, Yes that was 2017. Many say its when the oscars officially jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2018 11:03 PM

Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, the 2 Screenplays, Animated Feature, Original Score, Original Song, Documentary Feature, Foreign Language Film. IMO those are the only awards that should be telecast. The rest of them - editing, costume, makeup, etc. etc. can either be awarded during a different, untelevised show or just eliminated. I doubt most people give a shit about them.

by Anonymousreply 89August 8, 2018 11:12 PM

Should they have considered a different host?

by Anonymousreply 90August 8, 2018 11:20 PM

Soon the Oscars will be like the People's Choice Awards or the MTV Movie Awards with categories like "Best Onscreen Kiss by a Biracial LGBTQIAPK+ Couple."

by Anonymousreply 91August 8, 2018 11:25 PM

r91 = Republican

Get a brain, trumpster

by Anonymousreply 92August 8, 2018 11:26 PM

Wonder Woman and Black Panther are not great movies and don’t deserve Oscar love.

The last 1/3 of Wonder Woman was... not great. I was disappointed by the last fight scene: it was dark and small scale and lacked energy. If you’re going to show two gods fighting make them use more than a small airstrip as their battlefield.

Black Panther’s fight scenes looked like they were choreographed by a first time action director. They were also too claustrophobic with not enough wide shots of the hand to hand combat scenes. And the CGI? horrible.

by Anonymousreply 93August 8, 2018 11:30 PM

R88 I think mishaps should make more people want to watch. That's the appeal of live TV anything can happen. I miss the old days when there would be a least a couple people who were loaded, actresses didn't have stylists and would sometimes design their own dresses. I want laughable opening numbers and bad clothing and drunks/coke heads. It's all so bland and predictable now.

by Anonymousreply 94August 8, 2018 11:35 PM

How about a category for the best simulated gay sex?

by Anonymousreply 95August 8, 2018 11:46 PM

People seem to be confusing what makes for good television and a professional organization rewarding the accomplishment of members.

They aren't the same. If the Oscars are to remain on network TV they have to be good TV first and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 96August 9, 2018 12:19 AM

R96 it's not like the People's Choice Awards get great ratings. I don't think this popular category is going to bring in that many viewers. Viewership is declining because there are more channels and people can look up winners online. The show itself is boring and predicable. It's usually pretty obvious who the top two contenders are because of the SAGs and DGAs.

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2018 12:32 AM

[quote]It's usually pretty obvious who the top two contenders are because of the SAGs and DGAs.

The one thing they (possibly) did right was move up the ceremony to Feb 9, meaning all the other award shows will have to hustle to get in before the Oscars. Hopefully a few won’t and the awards will less predictable due to fewer precursors.

by Anonymousreply 98August 9, 2018 1:00 AM

Won't happen. It will just give people even less time to screen movies, and more of an incentive to check off the popular person in that category.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2018 1:03 AM

[quote]If there are ten Best Picture nominees and then five additional Best Popular Film nominees, you’re now approaching ten percent of all of a year’s wide releases getting Best Picture nominations. That’s just too many.

The movies getting nominated and winning are not movies that got wide releases. There are way more than 150 movies released annually.

For those saying this was done for Black Panther, I thought they said they weren't going to implement this new award until next year's awards. So the ceremony for 2019 movies sometime in 2020.

I love the suggestion above about incorporating a few 'worst' categories for fun - worst actor, worst actress, and worst picture. Just watching what happens when one actor/actress is nominated in both would be worth the Razzie copy. Do they show up and risk winning the worst category or risk not being there if they win best?

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2018 1:09 AM

Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks must be rolling in their graves... Disgraceful

by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2018 1:10 AM

add honorary category for overdue actors so they can win without robbing Oscars

add ingenue category for Jennifer Lawrence, Vikander, Emma Stone, Brie Larson et al

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2018 1:10 AM

They can improve the Oscars by banning Streep from ever getting nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 103August 9, 2018 1:12 AM

"Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks must be rolling in their graves... Disgraceful"

Why would they be? Pickford is probably the least deserving Best Actress winner and they would have been around to have seen the two "Best Picture" categories at the first Oscar ceremony

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 9, 2018 1:16 AM

Best out gay actor

Best out gay actress

Seriously it's utterly ridiculous and absurd seeing closet cases winning Oscars year after year and having multiple nominations! but no out actors.

no openly gay man or woman ever won the best actor/actress Oscar! :mad:

by Anonymousreply 105August 9, 2018 1:28 AM

R103 and Amy Adams, DiCaprio, Bradley Cooper, David O'Russel, Jennifer Lawrence too

by Anonymousreply 106August 9, 2018 1:31 AM

Add a category for best American films and another category for real films

by Anonymousreply 107August 9, 2018 1:32 AM

Best White Person

Best Beige Person

Best Brown Person

Best Person of Indeterminate Shade

by Anonymousreply 108August 9, 2018 1:33 AM

r94 = whoopi goldberg

by Anonymousreply 109August 9, 2018 1:47 AM

Pls tell me that added a category for best closeted hollywood actor.

by Anonymousreply 110August 9, 2018 1:48 AM

They should just move the Oscars to TCM and then the Academy could tell ABC to go fuck itself.

by Anonymousreply 111August 9, 2018 1:50 AM

R110 closeted actors are winning every year

by Anonymousreply 112August 9, 2018 1:52 AM

Maybe ABC should get a new host if they want to improve ratings

by Anonymousreply 113August 9, 2018 1:54 AM

Disney is so fucking awful. It sickens me that they have basically normalized what will be a monopoly soon enough because "OMG X Men can meet the Avengers!!"

R113 No, the dinosaurs in charge need to realize that many people don't watch on cable anymore and others have outgrown it. The young folk would much prefer live streaming on youtube or some other video hosting site or streaming the next day, and the older folk don't recognize as many of the younger stars. While there are things they could do to improve the show, like get rid of the lame sketches that take up time, the other two things are much bigger deals that they can't fight. They just have to accept and get with the times.

by Anonymousreply 114August 9, 2018 1:58 AM

List of actors with two or more Academy Award nominations in acting categories

many of them are gay but not out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 9, 2018 1:59 AM

But how will I know if moral compasses like Streep and DeNiro hate Trump?

by Anonymousreply 116August 9, 2018 2:00 AM

Sunrise and Wings are both great movies!

by Anonymousreply 117August 9, 2018 2:02 AM

Academy Award for Best Sexual Assaulter

by Anonymousreply 118August 9, 2018 2:03 AM

They just dumbed down the show for morons.

The People's Choice awards and MTV movie awards already give out this shit.

by Anonymousreply 119August 9, 2018 2:03 AM

Academy Award for Best Beard Companion

by Anonymousreply 120August 9, 2018 2:04 AM

Why would what ABC/Disney says matter at all? Don't they have to bid to show the Oscars like the networks bid for sporting events every couple of years or so?

by Anonymousreply 121August 9, 2018 2:06 AM

Titanic would have won best picture and best popular picture. It can happen where the best film makes the most money

by Anonymousreply 122August 9, 2018 2:07 AM

Neither the Academy or ABC will ever fucking learn. How many times do they have to be told that if they want to cut down the length of the telecast (and hopefully improve ratings in the process), then get rid of all the stupid-ass skits (like ordering pizza for the movie stars in the audience), all of the shitty-ass best song musical numbers, unnecessary clip packages (one is enough), and please God get rid of the horrid "let's go out into the streets and find some regular people into the theater to embarrass" bullshit. When will they ever fucking learn this?

This is what they have to do, not create another pointless, stupid category.

by Anonymousreply 123August 9, 2018 2:08 AM

They should cut it to 2 hours max, including all commercial breaks, and ask everyone to be piss elegant and concise. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 124August 9, 2018 2:09 AM

Academy Award for Best Lavender Marriage

Kidman/Tammy

Will/Jada

Anal/Clooney

Princess Tinymeat Pitt/Jolie

[bold]Richard Gere/Gerbil ‡[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 125August 9, 2018 2:10 AM

s/b "find some regular people to BRING into the theater to embarrass" bullshit

by Anonymousreply 126August 9, 2018 2:10 AM

"Lord of the Rings" was also another popular picture that won the top award.

by Anonymousreply 127August 9, 2018 2:12 AM

Everybody and his dog can tell the Academy what's wrong w/ the broadcast it is too damn long and painful to watch.

** Don't eliminate airing the awards of the skilled craftspeople who have made the damn movies.

DO:

*cut out the fucking 30-minute unfunny intro

* Don't perform all of the songs at length.

* Ban the host from leaving the Kodak theatre and forcing the worldwide audience to watch painful, stupid interactions w/ unsuspecting tourists who happen to be watching a film on Hollywood Bl. at the same time of the Oscar broadcast.

* Eliminate scripted unfunny banter between the 2 presenters.

* Stop the pre-show red carpet insanity of the emphasis on "who are you wearing?"

* Film Montages should be clips from the currently nominated films.

* The Memorium should be up-to-date and quit snubbing the dead people who made a real difference in the film industry regardless of their job. Yearly, there seems to be at least 3 galling omissions.

The creative talent of many people in front of the camera and behind it make a film memorable. Don't throw them aside just to see a dance interpretation of Marvel's latest comic book movie or a host intercut w/ film clips or milking some response from Matt Damon or George Clooney sitting in the front row.

by Anonymousreply 128August 9, 2018 2:15 AM

^^^ Everybody and his dog can tell the Academy what's wrong w/ the broadcast. It is too damn long and painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 129August 9, 2018 2:16 AM

Academy Award for Gerbil of the year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 9, 2018 2:18 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, R128.

by Anonymousreply 131August 9, 2018 2:25 AM

They need at home audience participation. In the first ten minutes people at home vote for the 10 awards they want to be presented, all the others are given behind the scenes and announced at the very end.

No skits, no songs, 1 minute for speeches. Even with commercials, that's an hour tops.

by Anonymousreply 132August 9, 2018 2:25 AM

The Oscars' 'Popular Film' category is an insult to moviegoers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 9, 2018 2:27 AM

R121 They pay 75 million every year to host the Oscars and the Disney/Fox merger just got approved. Disney is now 40% of box office. Disney paid to get this category so their marvel, star wars, and live action adaptation films are pretty much guaranteed an Oscar or at least a nomination. This gives them more promotion.

by Anonymousreply 134August 9, 2018 2:31 AM

Perhaps consider good acting in those movies like James McAvoy in X-Men: Days of Future Past and Split

by Anonymousreply 135August 9, 2018 2:32 AM

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Disney were annoyed that a DCEU movie (Suicide Squad) won an Oscar before a MCU movie.

by Anonymousreply 136August 9, 2018 2:34 AM

The 2017 Nominees for Best Picture:

Call Me by Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Get Out

Lady Bird

Phantom Thread

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Get Out and, maybe, The Post would be the only two possible crossovers in the new system. I think Get Out would have only been in the Popular category, which, honestly, is exactly where I think it belongs. It is entertaining but not a work of art in any way.

Most of these were not even released nationally by the time the Oscar show aired.

by Anonymousreply 137August 9, 2018 2:34 AM

Cancel Oscars if Toni Collette doesn't win Best actress Oscar for Hereditary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 9, 2018 2:35 AM

And speaking from my experience having worked in the film industry for over 25 years, the domination of crappy comic book movies with their prequel, sequel regurgitation has ruined everything. So sad to see gifted actors like Tom Hiddleston and Ezra Miller being folded into this banal fuckery.

And Birdman was vomitous and unwatchable. The fact that Birdman and Crash won Best Picture just taints the whole Academy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 139August 9, 2018 2:35 AM

R139 Was with you until you said Hiddleston and Miller were gifted actors. They're both mediocre at best.

by Anonymousreply 140August 9, 2018 2:37 AM

Miller is good but he can't do accents and Hiddleston is at least better than Pratt, Reynolds, ...

by Anonymousreply 141August 9, 2018 2:38 AM

But, R134, isn't it possible that another network will air the Oscars at some point and be the ones paying money to air the show? Why would the Academy care? Are there no other networks that want to bid on the Oscars? I also don't understand why it would matter if these already popular and high earning movies won Oscars. Just for bragging rights? They won't earn any more money for having won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 142August 9, 2018 2:39 AM

Star Wars and Comic Book Movies killed the movies

by Anonymousreply 143August 9, 2018 2:40 AM

Harvey Weistine kill the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 144August 9, 2018 2:44 AM

This is officially the end of the Oscars as we know it. Good bye old friend, you kept it classy for decades.

by Anonymousreply 145August 9, 2018 2:44 AM

So this is to make sure Black Panther wins an award. So tiring.

by Anonymousreply 146August 9, 2018 2:47 AM

Yawn, r146, so tired. If they loved Black Panther so much, they could nominate it for Best Picture. This is for ratings, but tell that to the race-baiting freepers.

by Anonymousreply 147August 9, 2018 2:48 AM

Besides the reasons already mentioned, the politicization of the telecast is also responsible for decreased viewership. Deplorables aren't going to watch a show that is 4 hour Trump hatefest.

by Anonymousreply 148August 9, 2018 2:50 AM

R144 yes Harvey and his whores

by Anonymousreply 149August 9, 2018 2:52 AM

R140

Did you see Hiddleston/ Tilda Swinton in Only Lovers Left Alive? Did you see him in the visually arresting but horribly bloody and ultimately awful film Crimson Peak?

I'm the only person on earth who hasn't read ANY of the Harry Potter novels or seen the films.

Did you see Ezra Miller in: Perks of Being a Wallflower We Need to Talk About Kevin

If you think those aren't good performances, there is no need for discussion.

by Anonymousreply 150August 9, 2018 2:53 AM

Unfortunately, R148, in reality almost no one mentioned Trump except in deplorable fantasy world. Why are deplorables such perpetual victims of things that never happened?

by Anonymousreply 151August 9, 2018 2:55 AM

Ezra Miller was great in We Need to Talk About Kevin

by Anonymousreply 152August 9, 2018 2:57 AM

Nobody gives a shit about the fucking Oscars anymore except the people in Hollywood who want to win one so they can raise their fucking rates.

by Anonymousreply 153August 9, 2018 3:00 AM

Did you see Ezra Miller in:

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

2. We Need to Talk About Kevin

3. City Island

4. Beware the Gonzo

I don't want to see Ezra Miller having to wear spandex as The Flash. It is beneath him. I don't begrudge him wanting to make some big money ,but it hurts see him go the comic book route.

by Anonymousreply 154August 9, 2018 3:00 AM

Fuck the deplorables. Streep making an anti-Trump speech doesn't affect their lives the way their stupid vote affects everybody else's.

by Anonymousreply 155August 9, 2018 3:00 AM

R153

Fuck you! People who work in the film industry have made many sacrifices in their lives to put these films out. It works out to McDonald's wages.

by Anonymousreply 156August 9, 2018 3:02 AM

Superhero fatigue syndrome has set in

by Anonymousreply 157August 9, 2018 3:04 AM

When I first heard they were adding a category I was afraid it was for Best Transgendered Actoress.

by Anonymousreply 158August 9, 2018 3:08 AM

All these guys starring in the latest Comic book movie IIXXV look all the same. Chris Pratt, McAvoy, Hoult, the guy from 50 Shades of Gray... all wall-eyed, Fetal Alcohol Eyed-guys.. whatever.

The only time most people see these guys is when they are waiting in the doctor's office and can't avoid the DVD playing.

by Anonymousreply 159August 9, 2018 3:09 AM

Hollywood stars should leave their sanctimonious political messaging at home on Oscar night.

Hollywood stars cannot positively effect national political races. I think slowly the entertainment product and help with social and moral change however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 9, 2018 3:14 AM

While waiting to for the doctor or dentist, it seems that it is either Captain America or Kevin James playing on the monitor. I prefer Kevin James in Mall Cop.

by Anonymousreply 161August 9, 2018 3:16 AM

My dentist has a large beautiful salt water aquarium.

by Anonymousreply 162August 9, 2018 3:19 AM

R100 - the announced plan is to add the new category for the ceremony held in 2019 meaning for the movies released in 2018. The format change would also implemented for the 2019 ceremony. It is the date change that will be implemented in 2020.

The report at OP's link claims the number of viewers correlates to the popularity of the nominated films more than anything else. By popularity I assume they mean box office.

R97 - you've kind of made the point for adding the changes. There are lots of channels and unlike channels on cable network TV is not a niche market. It has to have broad appeal. So for example compare the best picture nominees for 2017 with the box office numbers for 2017. The Shape of Water wins best picture with a box office gross of 63 million dollars. Star Wars: The Last Jedi top the domestic box office gross at over 620 million dollars. Star Wars wasn't nominated for best picture.

You add a category in which Star Wars is nominated what does that get you? Not only a telecast where you see the popular stars but also there is a reason to include the movie in the entertainment part of the telecast. With the format change you have time to do this.

Seems to me all the nominees and winners would benefit by the additional viewers a popular movie category might bring to the awards.

by Anonymousreply 163August 9, 2018 3:19 AM

"Hollywood stars should leave their sanctimonious political messaging at home on Oscar night."

Translation: You freepers are pissed that most stars don't share your views. If they showed up with signs saying "God Hates Fags" you'd probably praise them.

by Anonymousreply 164August 9, 2018 3:24 AM

R159 I would say all the Chrises look the same but McAvoy doesn't look anything like them

by Anonymousreply 165August 9, 2018 3:24 AM

Reese Witherspoon for her second Oscah!- best actress in popular film for Legally Blonde 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 9, 2018 3:34 AM

R165 McAvoy's eyes are 5 inches apart just like the male and female and male leads in Branaughs gagging remake of Cinderella. I don't like that look.

That said, I'm interested in Gal Gadot's real -life story, but I would have to be tortured to watch "Wonder Woman."

by Anonymousreply 167August 9, 2018 3:37 AM

R156 I work in the film industry so fuck you too.

by Anonymousreply 168August 9, 2018 3:41 AM

I'm fine with this - the Oscars have been skewed older in nominations and awards the past 10-15 years. It's always a bizarre and head-scratching nomination list. Who in WHAT?

Not saying they didn't give good performances - but let's face it, it's all political. May as well give the public a say.

Golden Globes are always soooo much better and more fun.

by Anonymousreply 169August 9, 2018 3:42 AM

Academy Members React to "Popular" Oscar News: "The Film Business Passed Away Today."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 9, 2018 3:42 AM

Academy Creates More Problems Than It Solves With "Popular" Oscar:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 9, 2018 3:43 AM

R168 Ok. You are bitter because craft services doesn't receive an Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 172August 9, 2018 3:43 AM

BOTTOM LINE: The downward trajectory of people caring about the Oscars continues and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences have become desperate.

by Anonymousreply 173August 9, 2018 3:44 AM

"We Are Definitely Upset": Oscars Shake-Up Sparks Fear and Outrage Among Crafts Members:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 9, 2018 3:45 AM

[quote]Hollywood stars should leave their sanctimonious political messaging at home on Oscar night.

Rich businessmen should leave their profiteering and harmful political messaging at the office all the time.

by Anonymousreply 175August 9, 2018 3:45 AM

What's worse, the new category or the shameless and blatant Oscar campaigns that are conducted to get the award?

by Anonymousreply 176August 9, 2018 3:51 AM

R167 McAvoy's eyes are 5 inches apart

McAvoy's eyes are not 5 inches apart maybe it's the eye bags? McAvoy used to be hot but aged poorly

Who cares how he looks he's a great actor and plus he can do accents (which most actor can't) he's so underrated and underused

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 9, 2018 3:51 AM

That Variety article about the end of film reads more like "old white men think too many women and non-white men have been allowed in the Academy over the last few years and we don't like it" than the death of film. Film is fine, Hollywood is dying because they keep catering to men...the old ones behind the studios who are scared of everything new and the young ones by continuing to make these fucking comic book movies because young men are so stupid that they'll pay tons of money to see the same movie ten times.

Catering to men killed the film industry. For proof, see the film industry of the first half of the 20th century. Basically, everything before Star Wars and Jaws.

by Anonymousreply 178August 9, 2018 3:52 AM

Sigh. R150 sorry but Ezra Miller is NOT a good actor. He just plays himself. And because he's considered "brave" in real life for being out and proud, some people equate that with him being a great actor. He aint. His extreme gayness means he has NO range. He also seems really ashamed, underneath all that sparkle.

by Anonymousreply 179August 9, 2018 3:56 AM

R172 I'm not bitter I just know how it works. I work in post and have a nomination myself. I doubled my rates.

by Anonymousreply 180August 9, 2018 4:04 AM

What does it matter what the ratings for the Oscars are? How does it affect anything?

by Anonymousreply 181August 9, 2018 4:12 AM

They need to have Best Extra.

by Anonymousreply 182August 9, 2018 4:15 AM

The Oscars Made Some Dumb Decisions Today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 9, 2018 4:30 AM

The ‘Best Popular Movie’ Oscar: WTF Is the Academy Thinking?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 9, 2018 4:32 AM

With all the shit they're getting, I wonder what are the chances they'll reverse their decision?

by Anonymousreply 185August 9, 2018 4:34 AM

You get an Oscar. And you get an Oscar. And you get an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 186August 9, 2018 4:37 AM

So they figured out a way to give Star Ward and Oscar.

And it still won't increase the audience. The Academy Awards are supposed to be for film excellence. Not the most popular super hero come to life.

by Anonymousreply 187August 9, 2018 4:39 AM

*Wars

by Anonymousreply 188August 9, 2018 4:39 AM

Why stop there? Why not Popular Actor and Popular Actress?

by Anonymousreply 189August 9, 2018 4:42 AM

I wish they would give comedic actors and actresses a break - they almost never get nominated for anything because it's not dramatic enough. It's fucking hard to be hilarious with a script.

I can't think of too many who have won for comedic roles. But bring in a death scene or tears and wait for the nomination.

Crying is easy.

by Anonymousreply 190August 9, 2018 4:45 AM

R189 their best actor and best actress winners are basically always popular actors and actresses

by Anonymousreply 191August 9, 2018 4:47 AM

The telecast should be narrowed down to the following categories: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Foreign Language Film, Best Animated Feature Film, Best Original Score, Best Original Song, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, Best Visual Effects.

Maybe throw in the honorary Oscar as well.

by Anonymousreply 192August 9, 2018 4:49 AM

Bet all you fussy queens still watch it anyway, just so you can post about how awful it was.

by Anonymousreply 193August 9, 2018 4:51 AM

Best Picture is now split into Best Popular Film and Best Unpopular Film.

by Anonymousreply 194August 9, 2018 4:53 AM

Best Rack and Best Bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 9, 2018 4:56 AM

Future categories: Best Black Person in a movie, Best Non-Binary Person in a movie, Best All Female Reboot, Best Anti-Trump movie.

by Anonymousreply 196August 9, 2018 4:58 AM

Best Fat Black Woman, you mean.

by Anonymousreply 197August 9, 2018 5:02 AM

R179 I don't know what R139 and R150 are on but I'd like some. Neither Hiddleston nor Miller is capable of brilliant or nuanced performances. They're very one note.

by Anonymousreply 198August 9, 2018 5:05 AM

"Future categories: Best Black Person in a movie, Best Non-Binary Person in a movie, Best All Female Reboot, Best Anti-Trump movie."

It's so funny when gays attack other minorities - what's wrong with you? Gay Republicans are mentally defective. How stupid to you have to be to support Trump as a gay person?

by Anonymousreply 199August 9, 2018 5:14 AM

Isn't the Best Actress/Actor race actually the Best Prosthetic Body Part/Disability/Death Scene anyway?

by Anonymousreply 200August 9, 2018 5:16 AM

The real bad news is that total hack JJ Abrams will probably win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 201August 9, 2018 5:30 AM

The only 2 good things to come out of this are that they want a hard 3 hour max time limit (there really is no reason it should be longer) and moving it up to early February. Awards season goes on WAY too long, into early March with the Oscars. By the time the ceremony has rolled around all of the other awards have gone out (Cricic's Choice, Golden Globes, SAGS, Guild AWards) so the Oscars have become anti-climactic. Awards season is too long and people are burned out my the time things finally culminate with the Academy Awards in early March.

The "Most Popular Film" Oscar is a totally stupid idea that won't draw younger viewers. But getting rid of a number of tech awards at the main ceremony will help. Who wants to sit through sound mixing/editing, and stuff like that. Those belong at the tech Oscar ceremony held the week before. Hell, even short film, costumes (it always goes to the same few people), makeup and the like could be shipped over to that ceremony.. People only give a crap about the acting categories, director and some interest in screenplays and best song.

A three hour slimmed down telecast with only the main categories done in early February is very very smart.

Adding Most Popular Film is the dumbest idea ever. Leave that to MTV and People's Choice.

The reason the Golden Globes have retained solid numbers are they're the first major awards show of he season in early January/ They're looser, only feature categories involving actual stars (TV and Film, no techie stuff) and they ply the audience with tons of booze which always makes for a lot more fun speeches and/or cutaways. It's WAY more entertaining than the stuffy Oscars with so many more memorable moments.

by Anonymousreply 202August 9, 2018 6:25 AM

I haven't watched the Oscars since they gave that Network actress first prize for showing her titties while having sex with Bill Holden in a non-Christian position!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 9, 2018 6:31 AM

Miss Dunaway did not expose her titties in Network.

by Anonymousreply 204August 9, 2018 6:46 AM

I like it when the announce they wrong winner.

by Anonymousreply 205August 9, 2018 6:50 AM

R204 Yes she did. Watch the old VHS un-cropped version (that aired in the theater) and you see both titties when she's getting undressed.

And if you read Mad as Hell: The making of Network by David Itzkoff that was released 2 years ago, it talks about how Faye considered suing because the scene wasn't cropped right.

cunt

by Anonymousreply 206August 9, 2018 6:55 AM

R204 what r u blind?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 9, 2018 7:11 AM

Oh. Sorry r207. They must edit them out on TCM

by Anonymousreply 208August 9, 2018 7:33 AM

[italic]"And the nominees for Best Actor in a Piece of Shit are...."

by Anonymousreply 209August 9, 2018 7:47 AM

[quote] Future categories: Best Black Person in a movie, Best Non-Binary Person in a movie, Best All Female Reboot, Best Anti-Trump movie.

Which should compliment the current categories well (e.g. best (white) male actor, best (white) female actor, best (white) film (starring all or 99% white people).

It’s interesting to see the white supremacist, who routinely argue that black movies don’t and shouldn’t get made because they are not popular, now arguing that an award for the most popular movies was created for black movies.

Apparently they’ve finally figured out that larger television audiences are not going to tune in to watch a 3 hour awards show for movies no one saw and awards chosen mostly by senior citizens.

by Anonymousreply 210August 9, 2018 7:52 AM

They = The Academy

by Anonymousreply 211August 9, 2018 7:54 AM

How about Best Performance By Meryl Streep This Year

by Anonymousreply 212August 9, 2018 7:57 AM

Or, [italic]Best Performance Glenn Won't Win For....

by Anonymousreply 213August 9, 2018 8:01 AM

The industry died when they started ignoring women and started chasing the teen/young male audience. Popular and prestige films in classic Hollywood usually had mass appeal; men and women, young and old. But women made up the majority audience because they filled the theaters on weekdays when the men were at work. "Chick flick"/romcom is a synonym for cookie cutter script and rancid acting nowadays, but they used to have some actual effort put in.

by Anonymousreply 214August 9, 2018 8:39 AM

210 - so there has to be a new category just to fulfill the "diverse" quota?

by Anonymousreply 215August 9, 2018 8:41 AM

[quote]Seems to me all the nominees and winners would benefit by the additional viewers a popular movie category might bring to the awards.

Viewers aren’t going to tune in to a 3 hour awards show just to see Robert Downey Jr or the Star Wars cast accept one award. And even if they do care, they’ll just wait for the clip to hit youtube or read about it on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 216August 9, 2018 8:52 AM

[quote] 210 - so there has to be a new category just to fulfill the "diverse" quota?

It’s interesting to see the white supremacist, who routinely argue that black movies don’t and shouldn’t get made because they are not popular, now arguing that an award for the most popular movies was created for black movies.

by Anonymousreply 217August 9, 2018 9:25 AM

Currently the most popular movies are always the super hero comic book stuff. So relax klan members.

by Anonymousreply 218August 9, 2018 9:31 AM

This is completely banal and now render the Oscars meaningless. If one says its not then why stop there; why not have categories lest best actor in a popular film, best actress with he most social media followers in a supporting role.

The Oscars like the Grammys is intended to celebrate excellence in their respective industries, filmmaking and music. Because art is subjective, popular films already have an advantage because they are more likely to have been seen, discussed, critiqued and considered for nomination. The Oscars inherently should be nominating superior popular films. Right? But again I assert art is subject. What is popular is not always the best. That is why we have award shows to recognize what is truly great in cinema, that is not bound by the mass public's opinion. The whole notion to do anything other than that undermines the award and ultimately the purpose of the Oscars at its core.

by Anonymousreply 219August 9, 2018 9:49 AM

To create this award completely says we shouldn't have an award where industry experts and actual filmmakers decide what is best in film. This won't even fix the ratings problems. The problem with the ratings has to with with wide over saturation of media, more diverse US population with vastly different cultural tastes, and quite frankly an over abundance of award shows.

What they can do is actually make the show funny, shorter, and more fluid. When is the last time a truly charismatic, funny host took over and completely brought the thing together. the hip-hop generation is not going to turn into the oscars anytime soon, and certainly not because you add a category where Black Panther and other biggest superhero movies of the year duke it out.

by Anonymousreply 220August 9, 2018 9:55 AM

People think this is about what is nominated. I'll agree that less popular films nominated and winners tend to correlate with lower ratings, but thats hardly the problem. There was a time when the Oscars was also about the experience of hollywood. Seeing the biggest stars on stage. What they were wearing, how they interacted on stage, good chemistry of a-listers. But today's population is bombarded with celebrities 24/7. Thats what happens when everything is commodified. Why the fuck would they tune into to see the oscars.

by Anonymousreply 221August 9, 2018 10:00 AM

R219 To many the award was already meaningless. Which is why the television audience continues to shrink.

R220 The academy is made up of a mixture of people who voice their subjective opinions and who may or may not have some skill set or level of expertise. They are not chosen by Jesus. Many.of the people voting don’t even bother seeing the films. And keep in mind the awards also have a political aspect. Actors do campaign for them.

The academy had to continue to evolve in order to stay somewhat relevant. Some of the changes will work some won’t. But they have to do something.

by Anonymousreply 222August 9, 2018 10:04 AM

The MTV MOVIE Awards and People Choice Awards come on every year without huge ratings. This move is shortsighted and down right dumb. The Oscars have officially died.

by Anonymousreply 223August 9, 2018 10:10 AM

The MTV awards have never had huge ratings. Yet at a time when award show ratings are generally down across the board. MTV managed to grow their viewership this year.

[quote] The MTV Movie & TV Awards got a big ratings boost from host Tiffany Haddish and a savvy scheduling shift. The Monday-night telecast drew 3.371 million total viewers across 10 Viacom-owned cable channels, including MTV and VH1 — up 21% from the 2017 installment — according to Nielsen live-plus-same day. Monday’s show was also up 20% from last year in the 18-34 demo with a 2.39 rating, and up 21% in the 18-49 demo at 2.21. Viewership was more concentrated this year on core channels MTV and VH1. Total viewership on the two networks was up 37% from last year, while ratings grew 30% in the 18-34 demo and 35% in 18-49.

But yes R223 this 1 new category will totally kill this awards show that currently most people ignore.

by Anonymousreply 224August 9, 2018 10:24 AM

It was mentioned early on, but I am sick to death of the sermons and political lectures by celebrities. Even though I agree with the liberal views expressed, I’m tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 225August 9, 2018 11:53 AM

R128 nailed it. I’m sick & tired of the lame hosts of the show. Billy Crystal was the last great host of the Oscars. It’s been downhill ever since. Get rid of the host & just start presenting awards like they used to. Also, get rid of the ABC red carpet show show from 8p-830p & just start the Oscars at 8p.

The networks have to understand that social media has destroyed the anticipation & glamour of all the award shows.

by Anonymousreply 226August 9, 2018 1:46 PM

Remember when people said Wonder Woman should be nominated for Oscars - for best director and film. Why? It was a shit movie with a shit actress and a shit script. The same with Black Panther. The Oscars are meant to be about talent and excellence. It's bad enough they've turned into marketing pissing contests but now they have to turn into popularity contests. Not everyone deserves a trophy. #Oscarsopandering

by Anonymousreply 227August 9, 2018 5:56 PM

The gap between popular and artsy films has never been wider. Opposite of the old days. Something had to give.

by Anonymousreply 228August 9, 2018 6:47 PM

R225 That's the real reason why people are tuning out. Adding a new silly category isn't going to get them better ratings.

by Anonymousreply 229August 9, 2018 6:51 PM

Yes R229 most people don’t see most of the movies nominated, many of the actors nominated are foreign, many of the academy voters don’t even actually see the movies and award show ratings are down for most awards shows. But yes it’s totally the acceptance speeches that are sinking the ship.

by Anonymousreply 230August 9, 2018 7:05 PM

Hmm. Why are ratings down?

1) Is it because ratings are down for everything across the board as fewer and fewer people watch live television?

2) That we are at historic levels of disconnect between what films do well at the oscars and which films are popular based on box office revenue?

3) Or is it because the darn actors are just too LIBRUHL!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 9, 2018 7:06 PM

Heh, great mind thinks alike r230.

by Anonymousreply 232August 9, 2018 7:07 PM

Yay!

Star Wars Citizen Kane 2001...

by Anonymousreply 233August 9, 2018 7:11 PM

The Oscars and the Tonys are the only two award shows I watch and care about. Do not give a flying fuck about the Emmys, the Grammys, the Golden Globes, or any of the rest.

I'm very old school where it comes to the Oscars -- yes, they're always too long and can at times be boring, but what turns me off more than anything else usually are the silly, unnecessary skits by the hosts. It just eats up too much time and often isn't very funny, just silly and sometimes cringeworthy. But on the other end of the spectrum, I'm a rarity I guess because I love the presentation of the technical categories -- that's part of what makes the Oscars the Oscars in my opinion. Unlike other award shows, they just have a way of doing it that's just so artistic and elegant. For example, for production design, they will put the artist's sketches on the screen (so you can see how their idea began) beside the finished look of the film as the presenter is reading the name of the nominee. And putting the words from the writer's screenplay on the screen and reading the directions ("Michael enters, takes a deep breath, and ...") as the actor in the film then says the line. It's all done so beautifully and something that's special only to the Oscars and I'd hate to lose it just because 14-year-olds don't care unless something is blowing up. But having said all this, I get it -- people are tuning out more and more each year and something has to be done.

[quote]Awards season goes on WAY too long, into early March with the Oscars. By the time the ceremony has rolled around all of the other awards have gone out (Cricic's Choice, Golden Globes, SAGS, Guild AWards) so the Oscars have become anti-climactic. Awards season is too long and people are burned out my the time things finally culminate with the Academy Awards in early March.

So true. I personally don't think a lot of the tuning out just has to do with people not caring anymore about the Oscars. I think it mostly has to do with all of the other award shows leading up to the Oscars -- so many that, by the time we get to the Oscars in late February/March, all of the suspense is gone. Rarely are there any surprises anymore since the same people who have been winning for the past two months are likely going to win again. That is what I think is killing the patient here, not any kind of apathy that's particular only to the Oscars.

Which brings me to the addition of the new category "Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film." Stupid, pandering, and insulting to the other serious Best Picture contenders ("Sorry, but you're not really popular like these movies over here"). If this is what it takes to keep people from turning off the Oscars altogether, then perhaps it is time to bring it all to an end. And enough about "Black Panther" -- this shit started going all the way back to "The Dark Knight," an overrated superhero film that didn't get nominated for Best Picture (because it didn't deserve to be) and because the fanboys lost their shit, the Academy panicked and expanded the Best Picture category the next year to make them happy. It was a slippery slope that continues to get more and more slippery every year and now this ridiculous "Popular Film" category is the rock bottom result. It's a lousy idea and just makes the Academy look like the pathetically desperate fools they've become over the last several years.

[quote]The Oscars are meant to be about talent and excellence.

THIS, times a thousand. It's not about rewarding dinosaur and superhero movies. The minute Iron Man walks out onstage to accept his "Popular Film" Oscar, that will be the moment you know this goose is cooked.

by Anonymousreply 234August 10, 2018 1:13 AM

IF they're going to do this, then just base it on box office since that's an understandable indicator of popularity. "Best Popular Film" on top of "Best Picture" would just be odd. So, have it be a pure popularity contest used to market the ceremony. I don't like it, but I'd like it even less if there's some sort of deep thought put into what's the most popular film.

by Anonymousreply 235August 10, 2018 2:16 AM

R216 - In addition to a new category and new format has also been announced. Now I'm sure you've spent hours going over the data to find what correlates to high viewership numbers upon which to base your opinion. Apparently the Academy came up with different results. You might want to share your with them.

In addition to the actors in the most popular movie attending the movies themselves can be worked into the entertainment part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 236August 10, 2018 2:27 AM

The popular film award is kind of obsolete. The BP Oscar is voted on by the academy. Who voted for the popular film? Those same people? Also, if they go via box office results, we will know who wins that oscar months in advance, so what's the point in airing it? If the winner is selected by the BO, how will films be judged if some films open earlier in the year, and some open on holidays which guarantee a bigger BO for a while. I don't see an actually "fair" way to select a winner. Unless it is a "viewers vote online" kind of thing. Then the Oscars become the People's Choice Awards, losing any amount t of prestige they still may have.

I still think the academy will undo their decision. Most people are unhappy, as they believe the academy will put Black Panther in the popular category instead of best picture where they feel it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 237August 10, 2018 2:27 AM

How are the Golden Globes' ratings? They are the first show out of the gate and kind of take the buzz off the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 238August 10, 2018 2:32 AM

Well none of my films will get get a nod.

by Anonymousreply 239August 10, 2018 2:33 AM

The Globes are my favorite awards anyway. Sure they're blatantly bought and paid for, but at least (when they have Gervais hosting) they're fun. And they have separate dramatic and comedic award categories. Plus you get to see Leo side-eye Lady Gaga as she brushes by him.

by Anonymousreply 240August 10, 2018 2:37 AM

How insulting is the Academy's new best popular film category? Extremely. The decision is a slap in the face to anybody who values good movies. Here's why:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 10, 2018 3:25 AM

Outstanding Popular Film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 10, 2018 3:44 AM

They already do this at the BAFTAs: Best British Film, Best Newcomer, Audience Favorite Film, Best Film by a first-time director...

by Anonymousreply 243August 10, 2018 3:58 AM

R208 You're forgiven. Such a nice reply to my snark deserves a nice comment in return.

by Anonymousreply 244August 10, 2018 4:10 AM

The Razzies should create a new category. Worst achievement in arthouse filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 245August 10, 2018 4:29 AM

I don't totally like the idea of the popular film category but, honestly, the Academy has gone too far to the other side recently and completely ignored all films that weren't obscure art house films that played nowhere except in NY or LA until after March or, more recently, the politically correct films that really didn't deserve the nomination they got, like Get Out. If they didn't act like a bunch of uptight elitist snobs in the nomination process, there wouldn't be an issue. I mean, Phantom Thread? Really?

by Anonymousreply 246August 10, 2018 4:38 AM

R243 Hilarious comparison, the BAFTAs are so small in comparison, you are silly

by Anonymousreply 247August 10, 2018 4:38 AM

I agree that Get Out did not deserve a Best Pic nod. For one they need to trim it back down to only 5 nominations, or trim the thing down into two categories: drama & comedy.

by Anonymousreply 248August 10, 2018 4:43 AM

I don't want them to break it into drama and comedy categories. You end up with idiocy like putting The Martian in the best comedy category as happened at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 249August 10, 2018 4:52 AM

Sometimes shitty films become big no hits I see Michael Bay winning an Oscar. Actually I prefer him over JJ Abrams.

Actually Black Panther and Wonder Woman are almost great films. When you call them bad you are without a doubt in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 250August 10, 2018 11:33 AM

Where does Meryl have to stand to be drenched in green glop!

by Anonymousreply 251August 10, 2018 12:07 PM

r249, NO you put films like The Martian, which is a sci-fi drama with comedic elements in the drama category where it fucking belongs. That comedy nod was hollywood malpractice.

by Anonymousreply 252August 10, 2018 8:21 PM

Well, since this move is pretty much being mocked all over the media, it seems like the Academy may have stepped in some deep shit.

Seriously, if the best "popular" films can't make it in a category that allows TEN nominees, then too bad for them.

As has been posted above, and reported on for the past few days, plenty of very popular movies have not only been nominated for Best Picture, but won.

by Anonymousreply 253August 10, 2018 8:43 PM

What's next? Everyone gets a participation Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 254August 10, 2018 8:51 PM

I agree with the posters who said they should just merge the Oscars with the Razzies! That would make things a whole lot more interesting!

by Anonymousreply 255August 10, 2018 8:59 PM

R250 Shame, shame, shame. Both for your opinion of WW and BP but also for the failed semantic argument of "without a doubt" when there is much doubt.

by Anonymousreply 256August 10, 2018 9:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!