Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I almost died in a grease fire

I was cooking tonight, and the recipe called for six strips of bacon to crumble in it. The way I do this is baking it on a cookie sheet. Since I was doubling the recipe for a buffet tomorrow night, I just put all the strips from the package in there (about 15)

The good thing about this method is you don't have to turn the bacon or really watch it closely, and your hands and stovetop are free for other tasks. The bad thing is the sheet fills with SEARING BACON GREASE which you must pour off halfway through, lest the entire oven explode in an enormous fireball.

Or at least, after being told I should "die in a grease fire" repeatedly here, that's what I imagined happening.

I was so nervous pouring of the grease, sure you were all going to get your wish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2018 1:14 PM

Wow! That's a lot of bacon! Whatever you're making must be really scrumptious! I've never wished that anyone would die in a grease fire (I'm not on of the meaner DLers).

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2018 8:07 AM

Ingredients •t1 large cauliflower •t4 oz. cream cheese (softened) •t1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese •t1/2 cup sour cream •t6 slices of bacon •t1/4 cup chopped onion •tSalt and pepper to taste

Instructions 1.tFry 6 pieces of bacon. 2.tCut out stem and core from cauliflower, and break into pieces. 3.tCook cauliflower in a large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is al dente. (10 mins) 4.tPreheat oven to 350F 5.tIn a large mixing bowl mix cream cheese, sour cream, onion, parmesan cheese and chopped, fully cooked bacon. 6.tDrain cauliflower well, then pour over top of the ingredients in large mixing bowl. 7.tMash with potato masher until the consistency is to your liking. 8.tSpread evenly in a medium-sized (8x8) casserole dish. 9.tBake for 15-20 minutes at 350F

(I serve this as a side dish, but it's also good over linguine as a main course.)

(For some reason I found this on a low carb web site) (which seems insane)

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2018 8:19 AM

Okay...the cutting and pasting of that bulleting and the numbered steps DIDN'T work.....but you get the idea

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2018 8:21 AM

Cook the bacon the same way on top of the broiler pan. Line the inside of the pan with aluminum foil. You won't have to drain the grease off during baking.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2018 8:36 AM

You save every last bit of that grease. You may use it with cabbage&onion. I would tell you other things, but that's the amount of grease you earned.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2018 8:37 AM

Well OP I cook bacon that way all the time. You do have to be careful. The thing is, you don't put the bacon on a rack, you put it flat in the pan so the bacon cooks in it own fat. You are right, its a lot of grease. Instead of trying to remove a shallow pan full of blistering hot grease, I check up on it about 3/4 way through, fold a couple of paper towels into a thick blotter and using my metal tongs blot up big pools of grease with the rolled up paper towels. Dont need to get all of it, just let it soak up what you can.

After you finish baking to the right color, I usually place the strips on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess grease. I also throw 2 sheets on top, and for some reason, even though it doesn't seem like it would do much, It makes a big difference. 5 minutes later, you have the best crispy bacon you have ever had.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2018 8:42 AM

Bacon and oven, hmm. I've always cooked on stove top and kept close watch, turning and moving, etc. If you do the oven thing, use a rack of some sort so you can pull bacon out independently of the cookie sheet that should act as a drainage collector. Pulling flat sheets out of oven with sizzling fat isn't easy unless it's a roasting pan with high edges.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2018 8:42 AM

[quote]You may use it with cabbage&onion

Gross. The cabbage I mean.

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2018 8:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2018 8:47 AM

OP Try baking it on a rack with a deep dish or roasting pan underneath. Similar idea to R4, but most newer ovens don't come with the broiler pans of previous models where the heating element is at the bottom. Do not use Aluminium foil either! It is proven to give off particles in the heat of the oven. It is fine when no contact with food occurs, like parchment-lined, etc. Great thread title OP, you ought to win an award! Recipe sounds great too, and do save that bacon fat like R5 says. Great in beans, spinach salads, to pan fry mushrooms, eggs, tomatoes, pork chops, ham, etc... So many good uses.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2018 8:48 AM

[quote]Try baking it on a rack with a deep dish or roasting pan underneath.

Thunder-stealer, copy cat. Bah.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2018 8:58 AM

R11 Sorry mate, 4 posts came through as I was typing, and saw yours after mine went through. At least we agree on the best method.

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2018 9:02 AM

Try Bacon Wrapped dates! People go mad for these at a party. Secret to these that other recipes don't have is Stuffed with Manchego cheese and brushed with maple syrup to carmezlie the outside.

Recipe: Anne-Burrell - bacon-wrapped-dates-stuffed-with-manchego

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2018 9:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2018 9:07 AM

Bacon Wrapped Scallops with a lemon sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Yes, you need a proper bacon pan, for the oven, the kind with the rack. You can drain the fat from a skillet of bacon too. I prefer to do that rather than wash that big pan.

And they make little bacon racks for the microwave that are built to drain fat too.

You can make some kickass popcorn with a few drops of bacon grease. Now don't believe everything you read! Cookie sheet! Amateurs!

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2018 11:26 AM

I cook bacon this way routinely and never drain the fat during cooking. You must be using an exceptionally fatty cut of bacon. I use a baking sheet with 1" high sides, lines with parchment paper. You probably should have used two pans for the amount you cooked.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2018 11:49 AM

Fat frau thread.

Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2018 12:39 PM

I use a roasting pan with high sides lined with aluminum foil and place the strips on the bottom with no rack.

Now I find I'm going to die.

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2018 1:22 PM

We need a television personality who can convince people to save and use their bacon grease and lard. It doesn't take much to really punch up a gravy or sauce.

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2018 7:46 PM

I'm curious about cooking bacon in the oven. Doesn't it splatter?

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2018 8:07 PM

nope

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2018 8:10 PM

Go fuck yourself with hot bacon grease R18. No calories that way, and you don't get to enjoy the flavah!

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2018 8:14 AM

Good, R18. More bacon for us.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2018 8:32 AM

Why not put the bacon strips on a mesh rack and allow the grease fall into a collecting pan?

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2018 8:48 AM

Because I don't have one.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2018 8:53 AM

Go buy one. No risk of a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2018 8:58 AM

[quote]Why not put the bacon strips on a mesh rack and allow the grease fall into a collecting pan?

Because it gets crisper cooking in its own fat as apposed to drying out on a rack.

Its just like cooking it in a cast iron pan. Can you imaging putting a rack in that?

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2018 9:02 AM

It can become just as crisp without the confit method R28.... Just cook it longer, or turn it over half way through. I always set oven for 400*; perhaps you are not pre-heating long enough or setting thermostat too low.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2018 9:21 AM

I am afraid the collective grease in the pan, whether the bacon is suspended on a rack above it or not, will combust. And I will therefor die in a grease fire.

I feel I must pour off the grease halfway through. If there's a rack in the pan, it's two white hot pieces to remove from the oven in this process. Plus, it's two things to clean afterwards instead of one.

Again = Certain Death

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2018 9:32 AM

You're killing me OP! Just come over to my place and I'll make the bacon for you! Or you can buy the pre-cooked kind.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2018 9:36 AM

Well, OP you can microwave bacon without anything special. Just a plate and 2 layers of paper towels both on top and bottom of the bacon. Maybe 6 minutes on high. No mess, no grease fire. Comes out really crispy, paper towels absorb all the grease, but not the same as frying it.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2018 9:41 AM

[quote]t1 large cauliflower •t4 oz. cream cheese (softened) •t1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese •t1/2 cup sour cream •t6 slices of bacon •t1/4 cup chopped onion •tSalt and pepper to taste

This recipe types fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2018 9:44 AM

[quote] I always set oven for 400*; perhaps you are not pre-heating long enough or setting thermostat too low.

Actually, bacon is one of the few things that benefits from a cold pan or cold oven. You really DON'T want to preheat. The reason being is that the cold bacon cooks slower in the cold pan as it heats up. The slower you cook it, the more time the fat has to render out and the bacon to cook evenly. If you cook too fast or too high, you end up with spots that are over cooked while some spots are still raw. Not to mention more shrinkage.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2018 9:46 AM

OP....based on your rebuttals, i think this was an attempted suicide.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2018 9:46 AM

That is exactly why the recipe looks so good R33. Cauliflower is good for you, so it has that going for it, and low-carb as well.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2018 9:47 AM

The best potatoes I have ever had were fried in bacon grease! I don't do this myself, but they were amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2018 9:48 AM

R34 I never have had a problem, and have been doing it this way for decades. (I buy thick-cut bacon too) Almost all American hotels prepare the bacon this way too, according to an American friend who is a Maitre D and chef.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2018 9:53 AM

[quote]R31 You're killing me OP! Just come over to my place and I'll make the bacon for you! Or you can buy the pre-cooked kind.

This is very kind of you. I will come by every Sunday for a batch...just leave it by the back stoop.

Whole Foods used to have crisp bacon out on its brunch table/thing on the weekends, for To Go stuff, and I'd buy a boxfull. It didn't weigh very much so was quite a bargain.

Then I think they caught on.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2018 10:02 AM

Hotel food is not the same as home cooked food R38. Bacon taste better being fried in its own grease usually in a cast iron pan. Its just not practical to do that on a large scale in a hotel so its not a surprise that they take an easier but less tasty method. It's not bad, just not the best it can be. like an electric BBQ vs Fire. Both do the job but real fire imparts more flavor and smokiness.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2018 10:04 AM

[quote](For some reason I found this on a low carb web site) (which seems insane)

Because it IS a low carb dish, OP.......or was, until you dumped it over a plate of pasta. Good grief. Your recipe is a typical (if dressed up) recipe for cauliflower mashed "fauxtatoes". They have been a staple of low carb diets for eons.

BTW--no need to mess around with a whole head of cauliflower. Just get a bag of fresh cauliflower "rice" at the grocer. Pop in the micro for a few mins to cook. Add all your other ingredients....mash and so on.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2018 10:11 AM

But sour cream, bacon, cream cheese and parmesean cheese all have carbs in them, right? And that recipe uses a lot. That just doesn't sound exactly [italic]negligible.

PS: can you imagine how gross this would be, in most people's ovens?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2018 10:15 AM

[quote]But sour cream, bacon, cream cheese and parmesean cheese all have carbs in them, right?

Wrong. Maybe you should look up what foods contain carbs. Bacon? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2018 10:27 AM

OMG STOP with the cauliflower! More than a dozen posts on this already from the same person. This thread is about bacon!

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!

Start your own damn thread about cauliflower, if its so important to you. But my money is on the fact that you wont. You know why? Because no one in any great quantity gives a shit about cauliflower! You would be lucky if you got more than a hand full of responses.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2018 10:50 AM

Hey remember me? I'm Bacon over here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2018 10:52 AM

Is there anything better than a BLT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2018 10:55 AM

You can get crispy (or any style) of bacon easily in the microwave. Put paper towels below and above the bacon to catch the grease and avoid splattering. But it works very well.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2018 10:57 AM

I'm making them today R46, and quite excited!

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2018 10:58 AM

Microwave it. Job done.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2018 4:42 PM

Will the bacon cook in it's own drippings in a pan lined with parchment rather than foil?

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2018 1:28 PM

R44 You have discovered a DL truth: Cauliflower trolls are a part of the Cabbage mafia, hence Boris bots.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2018 1:53 PM

[quote]OMG STOP with the cauliflower! More than a dozen posts on this already from the same person. This thread is about bacon!

No it isn't. It morphed into a bacon discussion. OP posted his cauliflower mashed fauxtatoe recipe @ R2---you know, the whole reason he needed 6 slices of bacon?

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2018 1:56 PM

by Anonymousreply 53August 11, 2018 12:51 AM

R40 I tried it your way, and didn't notice any improvement in flavour: only greasier bacon! The oven method is recommended in Joy of Cooking, as well as numerous cookbooks I own. I usually agree fat is where the flavour is, but American style bacon really is mostly fat to begin with, therefore no gain. Browning (Maillard reaction) is responsible for deep flavour, and it browns quite well when baked in the oven on a rack. I added my drippings to some Organic Rosarita refried beans, and it was excellent on toast.

by Anonymousreply 54August 13, 2018 7:08 AM

Meanwhile on a terrazza ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2018 12:54 PM

OP, fuck off with all your cooking threads. You have enough threads going with low responses so just use one of your old ones. Stop making new threads.

by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2018 1:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!