Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dishy Kathleen Turner Interview

A must-read. She doesn't have anything nice to say about Nicolas Cage, Burt Reynolds or the cast of Friends, among others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446December 1, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote][Very famous Hollywood actress] has played the same role for 20 years. She even looks pretty much the same. She’s probably one of the richest women out there, but I would shoot myself if I were like that, only giving people what they expect.

Guesses?

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2018 4:25 PM

R1 Julia Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2018 4:27 PM

You beat me by 8 minutes, OP. It's a great interview.

[quote]You have to remember that my first big role was Body Heat, and after that I was a sexual target. I understood later, from Michael Douglas, that there was a competition between him and Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty about who would get me first. None of them did, by the by.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2018 4:28 PM

I figured Julia Roberts, r1, and the 20 years was euphemistic.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2018 4:29 PM

I thought attacking Elizabeth Taylor's acting skills was tacky. I'm not a Burt Reynolds fan but when they made that awful movie together she was rising to the top and he was sinking to the bottom and ill and she said she was quite cruel to him. I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2018 4:29 PM

I’ve always enjoyed KT’s performances. I love the evolution of “Joan Wilder” in RTS.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2018 4:32 PM

I love Kathleen Turner.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2018 4:33 PM

My mind automatically went to Diane Keaton based on the "she even looks the same" part.

Every character Keaton has played in the last 20 years has looked and sounded like Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2018 4:34 PM

[quote] She doesn't have anything nice to say about Nicolas Cage, Burt Reynolds or the cast of Friends, among others

This works out well because I don't remember anyone saying anything nice about Kathleen. No one has really mentioned her in over 20 years

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2018 4:34 PM

I worship this broad. Great interview. We need more like her.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2018 4:36 PM

R8 That's incorrect. Every character Diane Keaton has played in the PAST 40 YEARS has been the same.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2018 4:36 PM

Burt Reynold's fame is a cultural low water mark. Smarmy, yet banal. Just YECHH. Is it bc he's tall? I never got Clark Gable's appeal either. Both of them just LOOK like assholes.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2018 4:37 PM

Liz was the ultimate tryhard on screen and off.

I love when she gets dragged by people who matter.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2018 4:40 PM

R12 But it gave us Norm MacDonald's awesome impersonation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2018 4:42 PM

A lot of people think she's talking about Aniston or Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2018 4:48 PM

R9 didn't read the article, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2018 4:48 PM

They didn't talk about Serial Mom. She was so hilarious in that!

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2018 4:51 PM

Good read. Thanks OP.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I'd love to talk to her about it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2018 4:53 PM

No mention of Serial Mom is a travesty!

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2018 4:54 PM

It has to be Roberts, not Keaton. She says the woman is one of the richest women out there, and I would definitely say Roberts is much richer than Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2018 4:58 PM

Burt Reynolds feels the same way about her. I remember he was on Andy Cohen’s show and played his Plead the 5th game and was asked who the worst actress he ever worked with was. Without skipping a beat, he said Kathleen and then went on to trash her for a couple of minutes. Of course La Cohen was eating it up.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2018 5:00 PM

Burt Reynolds was the Chris Pratt of his era.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2018 5:01 PM

My mind immediately went to Goldie Hawn. But it’s been a lot longer than 20 years. Agree with the Aniston guess.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2018 5:04 PM

Kathleen Turner has never given a fuck, and I've always liked her for that.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2018 5:06 PM

I admire this lady, she really marches to the beat of her own drum

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2018 5:15 PM

Bullock is another obvious option...

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2018 5:18 PM

Aniston plays a crazy sex addict in the Horrible Bosses movies which is against her usual rom-com type. I don't think she fits 100% of Turner's description.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2018 5:22 PM

It's Jennifer Anniston. I doubt Kathleen has seen her in the 2 roles where she wasn't openly ripping off Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2018 5:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not thinking it's Aniston either. She hasn't really been in a ton of movies. As much as I can't stand Julia Roberts, she's hardly a one-trick pony. Keaton does seem like the right actress.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2018 5:29 PM

Tom Selleck also commented that the Friends went out of their way to make guest performers uncomfortable. Alesha Tyler said that only the guys and Kudrow were nice to her. I’m surprised though that they’d treat KT the same way considering that she was only there for 1 or 2 episodes.

Talk about clinical levels of insecurity.

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2018 5:34 PM

That is one woman I would never want to cross.

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2018 5:36 PM

Angry fat lady -- WATCH OUT!

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2018 5:38 PM

Sorry, but she comes off as a bitter and entitled frau. “Nobody offered me a chair, can you believe it, dahling”. Oh, please, lady.

I wouldn’t want to work with someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2018 5:39 PM

Anniston is not an actress, she's a personality.

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2018 5:41 PM

Chances are you won't, r33.

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2018 5:43 PM

Love her. That interview was great.

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2018 5:46 PM

R1 = Reese Witherspoon or Julia aLow Vera Roberts

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2018 5:48 PM

Angelina Jolie?

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2018 5:51 PM

[quote]Every character Keaton has played in the last 20 years has looked and sounded like Diane Keaton.

I don't think it's Keaton. She did some interesting roles at the beginning of her career, so she challenged herself to some degree. Also, Keaton is not known for $10, $20 million paychecks, which is what I think Turner is alluding to when she mentions wealth.

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2018 5:51 PM

She was doing so well until that Emma Stone praise.

by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2018 5:53 PM

It's talent free Reese Witherspoon

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2018 5:53 PM

Haha, I thought so too, R40, but no one's perfect. I can forgive her that one as the rest of the interview is great.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2018 5:56 PM

It is clearly Bullock she is referring to. She looks the same in every single movie, and always plays that somewhat ditsy, warm stupid but smart character. And she is obscenely wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2018 6:02 PM

[quote] Q. You didn’t think any of the press about your being “difficult” or your drinking or your illness was cynical?

[quote] A. The “difficult” thing was pure gender crap. If a man comes on set and says, “Here’s how I see this being done,” people go, “He’s decisive.” If a woman does it, they say, “Oh, fuck. There she goes.”

Women who are called difficult always fall back on this argument, and it's just not true. William Hurt, Edward Norton, Mike Myers, and Val Kilmer have enormous trouble finding work now because everyone in Hollywood knows what assholes they are.

It is true that there are some legendary male actors like Jack Nicholson who get or got away with murder, but there were also legendary actresses who did like Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2018 6:02 PM

R30 Wow! That makes me hate that stupid fucking show and the disrespectful brats in it even more. Didn't think it possible.

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2018 6:03 PM

Maybe, R43, but Bullock is likeable. And she doesn't pretend to be anything more than she is - she sticks to what she can play.

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2018 6:04 PM

R45 I hate them because their shit show was a cause of the downfall of DL favourite Murder, She Wrote!

(I do like Kudrow though)

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2018 6:05 PM

R47, Kudrow is by far the most talented comedian/actress of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2018 6:07 PM

And smartest too R48

Kathleen should have got more respect from The Oscars and Tonys over the years. She terrific. She should have won for Peggy Sue over that boring Marlee Matin performance.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2018 6:10 PM

Diane Keaton was great in The Godfather films. Reese was also treated like shit on Friends. Burt trys to act like a good old boy where men wear the pants. One of the reasons SF left him. It was literally talked about at the time that he wasnt going with her to the Oscar's because he was jealous she would win for Norma Ray. But that was his fault, he could have greenlighted any film but he wanted to do shit like Smokey and the Bandit and the Cannonball Run. Decades ago I read some article about an actor who had no respect for BR because he squandered his power and cache in HW making shit instead of good movies. I forget who it was, but they were right. He also beat first wife Judy Carne. So I have no doubt he wanted to be King on the set with KT and just wanted to have fun.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2018 6:11 PM

She didn't say that the actress was unlikable, R46, or even that she is a bad actress. Rather, her comment was that the actress did not stretch herself, and played the same character in every movie, because she wants to be liked. I'd say the description fits Bullock very well!

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2018 6:13 PM

It's Aniston. Turner acted with her again in Marley and Me so therefore saw first hand her playing Rachel over again.

by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2018 6:14 PM

The cast of Friends were close in order to build a united front when it came to salary negotiations. And because of being so tight the main cast got record breaking raises each time. The downside was that the main cast was shunning guest stars who may or may not been sent by the producers to break the cast apart. I remember Elle McPhearson asked the producers not to do the whole arc of her guest role, because she felt so unwelcome by the cast. Reese Witherspoon didn't return either for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2018 6:15 PM

R44, those guys are yellers, screamers, throwers and punchers. If a woman did that she'd be locked the fuck up. Those guys are just "passionate" and are still working. I loved her 3 sentence takedown of William Hurt and TRUMP'S DISGUSTING HANDSHAKE! That finger rub thing was something middle school perverts did so it makes sense that he'd be a practitioner.

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2018 6:17 PM

Reese and Aiesha and Applegate and maybe even Elle could have been seen as threats by the Friends cast but Kathleen Turner???? They were scared that the character of Chandler’s father would replace one or more of them? Wow, okay.

by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2018 6:19 PM

The cast of Friends always came off as smug. I'm glad KT dragged their acting, too. Such an overrated show.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2018 6:20 PM

Very cool interview. My guess is Sandy, cause it doesn't sound like she hates her, just that she wouldn't have made that choice.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2018 6:21 PM

Can't be Aniston. She played something very different in The Good Girl. It's someone who's a megastar, a producer, you name it. Someone who knows how to make a hit.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2018 6:23 PM

Great interview and she remains my favorite movie star of the '80s. I miss "broads" like her (and Cathy Moriarty) onscreen. And she's right about Elizabeth Taylor, in "Cat..." anyway. God, that voice makes me nuts in that movie (my least favorite Tennessee Williams altogether).

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2018 6:26 PM

The friends cast were notoriously cliquish and alienated just about everyone who made guest appearances on the show. Maybe some of this can be explained by the fact that they were joined together in salary negotiations, and they were also very protective of Matthew Perry's addiction problems; but from everything I've read, Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox (whom everyone agrees were the snobbiest and the most exclusionary) were basically mean popular girls who acted like they were in high school and who thought they'd be on top forever. I wonder that now they find it so much harder to get first-rate work if they regret being rude to people who are still on top, like Witherspoon. I'm sure she will never work with them again--she's gone on record saying how rude they were to her.

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2018 6:32 PM

GLAAAAADIATOR!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2018 6:32 PM

I loved her comment about Crimes of Passion. I'm always wary of stars saying they do all this research. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But it's refreshing that Turner was like "you think I'm really going to hang out with hookers?"

by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2018 6:32 PM

[quote] If a woman did that she'd be locked the fuck up.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2018 6:33 PM

I have just one question: Was the cast of “Friends” kind to its guest stars?

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2018 6:33 PM

Interesting comments about Eileen Atkins!

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2018 6:35 PM

R3, that's funny she said that because both she and Michael Douglas admitted to having an affair many times over the years.

by Anonymousreply 66August 7, 2018 6:39 PM

I love her and her Martha on Broadway was incredible. I saw her three times, pure perfection.

by Anonymousreply 67August 7, 2018 6:40 PM

I could see them being a little distant from day players (though the true pros are not) but, come on, stars like Kathleen Turner? Silly sitcom stars.

by Anonymousreply 68August 7, 2018 6:41 PM

You have my envy t57

by Anonymousreply 69August 7, 2018 6:45 PM

Omg. Please tell me she didn’t have photo approval.

by Anonymousreply 70August 7, 2018 6:53 PM

My grandparents took me to see her in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" in Philadelphia on the pre-Broadway tour. We somehow had really great seats, and I got to sit right in front of Daniel Hugh Kelly changing clothing. I'm pretty sure the whole thing made me gay. Kathleen Turner, near naked Kelly, Polly Holiday, Charles Durning (who I seriously thought was going to have a heart attack for real right there on stage) really amazed me.

I'm sure someone's going to say it was a terrible production, but I'll always remember it as being one of the best things I have ever seen....probably just a fond memory.

by Anonymousreply 71August 7, 2018 6:56 PM

I have the "lobby card" for that production hanging in my bathroom. Kathleen at her physical peak in a slip.

by Anonymousreply 72August 7, 2018 7:06 PM

These days, people say "shade" when they really mean flat out "insult." THIS is shade: "Listen, I made it work, honey."

by Anonymousreply 73August 7, 2018 7:07 PM

[quote] I'd say the description fits Bullock very well!

Yes, and ten other similar actresses. It's just that Bullock is not the first one that comes to mind (Roberts, Witherspoon, Aniston...).

by Anonymousreply 74August 7, 2018 7:12 PM

Interesting interview. I always did like Kathleen Turner. I remember seeing Body Heat when I was 13 years old and thinking she was amazing in it. Great movie that holds up today.

I'd always heard that the Friends cast was standoffish to outsiders. I guess I'm not too surprised they did this to KT when they did it to Reese Witherspoon, too. I never heard that Tom Selleck had that same experience, though. He came back a few times, so it couldn't have been that bad for him. KT came back, too.

by Anonymousreply 75August 7, 2018 7:12 PM

Fond memories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2018 7:33 PM

I vaguely remember hearing that the actress who played Ross' girlfriend Julie felt unwelcome on the set.

[quote][Very famous Hollywood actress] has played the same role for 20 years. She even looks pretty much the same. She’s probably one of the richest women out there, but I would shoot myself if I were like that, only giving people what they expect.

Interesting that Kathleen was willing to bad-mouth living actors and dead actresses, but won't name the actress she's referring to here. She's not quite as courageous and bad-ass as she's trying to sound.

by Anonymousreply 77August 7, 2018 7:34 PM

[quote]I vaguely remember hearing that the actress who played Ross' girlfriend Julie felt unwelcome on the set.

On the set of Friends.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2018 7:35 PM

I'm pretty sure it was an editorial decision to take out Julia Roberts' name, not Kathleen Turner's who seems like she is out of fucks to give and didn't bring any fucks to the interview that day to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2018 7:35 PM

[quote] [Very famous Hollywood actress] has played the same role for 20 years. She even looks pretty much the same. She’s probably one of the richest women out there, but I would shoot myself if I were like that, only giving people what they expect.

I don't think this is Diane Keaton because she's been around for fifty years, not twenty.

by Anonymousreply 80August 7, 2018 7:37 PM

R79, she said in the interview that she didn't want the name of the actress to be listed.

by Anonymousreply 81August 7, 2018 7:37 PM

Kathleen Turner may be a cunt, but she is at least a beloved cunt.

by Anonymousreply 82August 7, 2018 7:38 PM

It could be that she likes her, or at least respects her, R77. That's how I read it.

by Anonymousreply 83August 7, 2018 7:40 PM

And doesn't want a silly feud. Winger always dogged Kathleen in interviews back then when they were contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 84August 7, 2018 7:44 PM

[quote] Interesting that Kathleen was willing to bad-mouth living actors and dead actresses, but won't name the actress she's referring to here. She's not quite as courageous and bad-ass as she's trying to sound.

Well, but she had actual beefs with those people and she doesn't necessarily have one with this person and sees no reason to hurt them or start a feud. She's using the career as a general example of how she did not want to run her career. There's no need to make someone feel shitty or start something up and she knows it.

by Anonymousreply 85August 7, 2018 7:50 PM

r70, I assumed it was a still promoting an upcoming gender-bending production of A Man For All Seasons.

by Anonymousreply 86August 7, 2018 7:52 PM

[quote]Aniston plays a crazy sex addict in the Horrible Bosses movies which is against her usual rom-com type. I don't think she fits 100% of Turner's description.

I don't think ol Kate brought the IMDB up on screen and perused it before she made her shady pronouncement. She was shooting off the cuff. And the exception proves the rule.

IMO it's Bullock. She plays the same character every single time and she's rich as fuck -- way way richer than Aniston. And Witherspoon? LOL she's not rich at all (by Hollywood standards).

by Anonymousreply 87August 7, 2018 7:53 PM

I think Reese Witherspoon or Sandra Bullock are excellent guesses. Neither one has any range as an actress, and they both look the same in every role. I lean more toward it being Reese because of the publicized (ridiculous) amounts of money she makes on each film.

by Anonymousreply 88August 7, 2018 7:59 PM

R77 is a little troll. KT wouldn't fall for it. Rather, she'd laugh her hearty laugh. Or not, depending on the occasion.

by Anonymousreply 89August 7, 2018 8:03 PM

r89 sure

by Anonymousreply 90August 7, 2018 8:06 PM

I'm a troll for critiquing an interview?

by Anonymousreply 91August 7, 2018 8:06 PM

If some stranger showed up one day to work on a group project and we knew they would leave in 5 days, I’d certainly be polite and cordial but wouldn’t bother myself to become besties with them. Why should the cast of friends be taken to task for this? Hate to break it you obsessed fans who have fairy tale notions of Hollywoid bonding rituals but making a sitcom week after week is a job like any other.

by Anonymousreply 92August 7, 2018 8:10 PM

This is what my grandfather would call "a good old broad".

by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2018 8:13 PM

Friends was a gigantic show worth millions of dollars. The audience exposure was huge. Any actor hopping into that environment would be justifiably terrified of screwing up the magic or getting fired.

No one expects to be invited to a sleepover but people expect minimal hospitality. Friends was the cast’s “house” and not only did they not welcome her, they went out of their way to make her uncomfortable.

That is beyond rude and unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2018 8:15 PM

How come she wasn't offered the Alex role in Fatal Attraction?

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2018 8:16 PM

- Top-Earning Actresses A Decade Ago: Jennifer Aniston And Julia Roberts Still Reign Supreme (2016)

[quote]Friends star Jennifer Aniston is one of the only actresses to stay on our highest-paid actresses list for a solid decade. In 2006, Aniston was the second top-earning actress with $18.5 million. This year, she ranks fourth with earnings of $21 million. Aniston still gets seven-figure upfront fees for films, but she gets most of her millions through endorsements with Smartwater, Aveeno and other brands.

[quote]Julia Roberts is also a regular on our highest-paid actress list. America's sweetheart placed 10th in 2006 with $8 million. Though her latest Garry Marshall flick Mother's Day bombed at the box office, Roberts moved up to No. 8 this year by banking $12 million.

[quote]Asides from Aniston and Roberts, seven of the top 10 highest-paid actresses from 2006 dropped off the list, missing the $10 million cut-off. (Technically, eight women dropped off the list, but Jennifer Lopez, who placed third in 2006 with $17 million, was categorized as a musician and still made the Celebrity 100 with $39.5 million.) These drop-offs -- Barrymore, Sandra Bullock, Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Garner, Patricia Heaton, Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts-- have hardly disappeared from the limelight, but they did not make the cut this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2018 8:21 PM

My first thought, R95, is that Kathleen was just as attractive as Ann Archer, and I think Alex would be played better by an actress less attractive than the person in the role of Dan's wife. Alex became insanely jealous of Dan's home life, and his wife's attractiveness, along with Dan's unavailability, would help her get that to that place.

by Anonymousreply 97August 7, 2018 8:23 PM

R60 Except Reese and Jennifer are good friends and about to do a series together.

by Anonymousreply 98August 7, 2018 8:33 PM

R97 You have a point. I just know Glenn wasn't the first choice and wondered if they had considered Kathleen for the role. You're right though that the Alex character shouldn't be a stunner. She needs to be an everyone who's been rejected in the past and damaged.

by Anonymousreply 99August 7, 2018 8:36 PM

Richest actresses in the world 2018:

10 Nicole Kidman

9 Julia Roberts

8 Jennifer Aniston

7 Angelina Jolie

6 Miley Cyrus

5 Victoria Principal

4 Julia Louis Dreyfus

3 Sandra Bullock

2 Jessica Alba

1 Jamie Gertz (he husband is a billionaire)

Witherspoon not even on the list, Roberts just barely on it. Bullock is the one closest to the top who plays the same character over and over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 7, 2018 8:49 PM

She is—and I mean this in the best possible way—a magnificent cunt.

by Anonymousreply 101August 7, 2018 8:55 PM

^^^spectacular douche

by Anonymousreply 102August 7, 2018 8:58 PM

What a stupid list. They list everyone's worth, which is unverifiable, as individuals, but Jami Gertz is listed as number 1 because of her husbands wealth.

by Anonymousreply 103August 7, 2018 8:59 PM

*worth should be wealth

by Anonymousreply 104August 7, 2018 9:00 PM

actually for many of us, those two things are synonyms

by Anonymousreply 105August 7, 2018 9:00 PM

I prefer nutmeg to synonym .

by Anonymousreply 106August 7, 2018 9:02 PM

[quote] Burt trys

Oh, dear.

[quote] Norma Ray.

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 107August 7, 2018 9:11 PM

Her description fits at least five different actresses, R100. And what you linked to is an accumulated wealth from other sources (commercials) not just acting salaries.

According to Forbes, Withersppon tops all the actresses on your list:

[quote]Reese Witherspoon's $198 Million-Plus Career Earnings Make Her The Top-Paid Primetime Emmy Nominee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 7, 2018 9:12 PM

[quote] If some stranger showed up one day to work on a group project and we knew they would leave in 5 days, I’d certainly be polite and cordial but wouldn’t bother myself to become besties with them. Why should the cast of friends be taken to task for this?

Because it's almost universally agreed they were neither polite nor cordial to these strangers.

by Anonymousreply 109August 7, 2018 9:14 PM

[quote]And what you linked to is an accumulated wealth from other sources (commercials) not just acting salaries.

So what? Turner didn't say "the top paid actress".

By the way, your Forbes article is about how much actresses have been paid over the careers, which has absolutely nothing to do with how rich they are right now.

by Anonymousreply 110August 7, 2018 9:16 PM

I love Kathleen Turner. Has the book already been released?

by Anonymousreply 111August 7, 2018 9:19 PM

The cast of Friends? LOL, What this deep voice ho say about those hacks.

by Anonymousreply 112August 7, 2018 9:19 PM

I believe she is talking about Anniston, Roberts, or Bollock. All of them never really stretched themselves and kept the same look throughout the years. Reese I feel stretched herself a bit and did some different roles. I think it's Anniston, since she wasn't thrilled with her Friends experience.

by Anonymousreply 113August 7, 2018 9:20 PM

And this thread is why I only watch comic book movies.

KT has always been a bitch. Never could stand her!

by Anonymousreply 114August 7, 2018 9:24 PM

[quote]By the way, your Forbes article is about how much actresses have been paid over the careers, which has absolutely nothing to do with how rich they are right now.

How much someone has been paid over the years has very much to do with their current wealth.

And the article you posted at R100 is different how? It also shows their overall wealth.

by Anonymousreply 115August 7, 2018 9:29 PM

[quote]How much someone has been paid over the years has very much to do with their current wealth.

It does not reflect current wealth. If someone is paid a million dollars a year twenty years and has spent a million dollars a year, they are broke. If someone else was paid three million dollars last year and has spent a million they are worth far more.

by Anonymousreply 116August 7, 2018 9:31 PM

She'd ask to leave out the name of someone slightly more Oscar-y than Aniston is my guess. I think Bullock and Julia Roberts are good guesses. Nicole Kidman? That'd be funny.

by Anonymousreply 117August 7, 2018 9:40 PM

If it were Aniston she'd come right out and say it. And Aniston did stretch, the audiences didn't follow is another matter.

Reese was fantastic in Man in the Moon, also in Election obvs. That she realised one thing sold well is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 118August 7, 2018 9:42 PM

And who cares about your opinion, R114! Go read a book. No, not a comic book. Go read Shakespeare, and then read another.

by Anonymousreply 119August 7, 2018 9:43 PM

Alas, much as I love her, Kathleen's book is a bit.... thin. And lacking in details. She barely covers her films. It's more of a Life Lessons kind of bullshit book. Wish she'd write a more dirty (and thorough) follow-up.

I volunteer myself as a ghost writer. I have LOTS of questions to ask Kathleen like "Did Randall (the cop) really spit in your face in "Crimes of Passion"? (The answer is yes, according to him when we met).

by Anonymousreply 120August 7, 2018 9:46 PM

[quote] I believe she is talking about Anniston,

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

[quote] Roberts, or Bollock.

Oh, [italic]DEAR.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 121August 7, 2018 9:50 PM

I can't imagine she meant Kidman. I don't like Kidman at all as a person, but one thing you cannot say about her is that she always plays the same part. Her characters in "To Die For" and in "The Hours" were about as different as possible.

by Anonymousreply 122August 7, 2018 9:52 PM

You're right, R122.

by Anonymousreply 123August 7, 2018 9:55 PM

Keaton is a great guess though, yes, she goes back far further than 20 years. I think it has to be someone big and one of her peers because she wouldn't know many of the new folks save for Emma.

by Anonymousreply 124August 7, 2018 9:57 PM

Sandra Bullock sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 125August 7, 2018 10:03 PM

I just turned on Romancing the Stone. I haven’t seen it for decades. Kathleen at the beginning had little makeup—bare eyes, thin upper lip, still gorgeous. I do admire this spunky lady.

by Anonymousreply 126August 7, 2018 10:03 PM

Kathleen Turner is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 127August 7, 2018 10:03 PM

Ridiculous to think she might be disparaging Kidman’s acting. No way. No one can take her acting ability away from her. She’s got an extraordinary gift.

by Anonymousreply 128August 7, 2018 10:04 PM

Her look alike in Body Heat (and the actress who took over her role on The Doctors after Turner left)

Hmm...I see similarities, then and now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 7, 2018 10:05 PM

“He has this gross handshake,” she explained.

“He goes to shake your hand and with his index finger kind of rubs the inside of your wrist,” Turner continued. “He’s trying to do some kind of seductive intimacy move.”

“You pull your hand away and go yuck,” she added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 7, 2018 10:06 PM

R100 interesting that three of the actresses are retired on that list, Principal, Gertz and Alba. Well maybe not Alba but I can’t remember the last thing she was in.

by Anonymousreply 131August 7, 2018 10:06 PM

Reese was great in Freeway and it was a very different part than in her lame Rom Coms. One could also name her performance in Walk the Line also as being good and different role.

Aniston was good on the short lived sketch comedy show The Edge. She played a variety of characters and usually pretty well too. I haven't cared for her in anything else though.

I agree it has to be Roberts of Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 132August 7, 2018 10:11 PM

Fun fact: Romancing the Stone is set in Cartagena, Colombia, where the women of the Real Housewives of New York just crashed a boat.

by Anonymousreply 133August 7, 2018 10:11 PM

[quote]Well maybe not Alba but I can’t remember the last thing she was in.

Alba started some company that sells environmentally-friendly household products or something like that, though I can't imagine it makes enough to put her on that list.

by Anonymousreply 134August 7, 2018 10:14 PM

[quote]I agree it has to be Roberts of Bullock.

Sounds like a tony shoe store in Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 135August 7, 2018 10:15 PM

Jessica's company is The Honest Company R134.

by Anonymousreply 136August 7, 2018 10:19 PM

I'm glad she mentioned Accidental Tourist a few times - the interviewer did not. I'll bet she gets a lot of people telling her how much they love that film and that has given her a great affection for it - deservedly. I don't think she's made a lot of films people feel as cozy about.

by Anonymousreply 137August 7, 2018 10:21 PM

Trying to imagine R33 showing up at the office and not being given a place to sit.

by Anonymousreply 138August 7, 2018 10:25 PM

How did Michael Douglas get billed as a hot A-list star? He looks like Ellen DeGeneres.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 7, 2018 10:25 PM

[quote] I have LOTS of questions to ask Kathleen like "Did Randall (the cop) really spit in your face in "Crimes of Passion"? (The answer is yes, according to him when we met).

R120 I'd like to ask her more esoteric questions about her filmography, too. I'm dying to know if she was smoking a real blunt in NAKED IN NEW YORK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 7, 2018 10:28 PM

Friends truly is vastly overrated. It was modestly entertaining at the time but I never made a point of watching it, and could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another episode.

by Anonymousreply 141August 7, 2018 10:31 PM

Friends is based on an outdated concept.

by Anonymousreply 142August 7, 2018 10:34 PM

According to Bette Midler you got to have friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 7, 2018 10:36 PM

DL turned me on to "Naked in New York" (a different thread). I liked it though many of these '90s indie films when watched now seem almost like parodies of '90s indie films. Kathleen looked great in it and Macchio was damn cute too.

by Anonymousreply 144August 7, 2018 10:38 PM

^^OT but yeah, Ralph Macchio stole NINY from leads Eric Stoltz and M-L Parker. Only Timothy Dalton and ofc Turner herself outshone him.

Note also Ralph was playing a gay man - in 1992 and against the advice of his agents - which gives him credibility in spite of how awful the film was.

by Anonymousreply 145August 7, 2018 11:09 PM

R100.. I would think Salma Hayek would be on that list. She's married to a French billionaire businessman.

by Anonymousreply 146August 7, 2018 11:20 PM

Great interview.

Two parts I really liked:

[quote]How was Nicholson to work with?.....He was great. Partly that’s to do with John Huston. He challenged Jack. He said to Jack that he always winked at the audience as if to say, “That’s not what I mean.” John challenged him to not do that, to not put a lie to his character, which can be very tempting for stars to do because you want audiences to like you. Avoiding that temptation is a great lesson.

Very interesting. I never liked Nicholson. Too self indulgent. Huston's take on him was so true.

[quote] I will say that I miss Meryl onstage. I remember seeing her in The Taming of the Shrew many years ago. She charged out on stage swinging a footstool. I was like, “Oh yeah!” — I loved the energy of it. I wish she would do more stage work.

Yes!

I don't really like Meryl but saw, long ago, on PBS a video of Joseph Papp's version of "The Taming of the Shrew" that KT mentions with Raul Julia as Petruchio. Interspersed with the play were small snippets with the actors talking about the play. Wonderful.

I've checked and that version is up on Youtube in 2 parts!

Here's a link to Part 1 of "Kiss Me Petruchio".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 7, 2018 11:20 PM

I never really studied acting. People talk about these different techniques — Meisner, all this stuff. I don’t know what they’re talking about most of the time.

It shows! She's hammy, in love with her own voice, and over the top theatrical. Given that, she does give a good cunty interview.

by Anonymousreply 148August 7, 2018 11:41 PM

[quote] My grandparents took me to see her in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" in Philadelphia on the pre-Broadway tour. We somehow had really great seats, and I got to sit right in front of Daniel Hugh Kelly changing clothing. I'm pretty sure the whole thing made me gay. Kathleen Turner, near naked Kelly, Polly Holiday, Charles Durning (who I seriously thought was going to have a heart attack for real right there on stage) really amazed me. I'm sure someone's going to say it was a terrible production, but I'll always remember it as being one of the best things I have ever seen....probably just a fond memory.

First you got great seats because it was before Mel Brooks destroyed the thrill of Broadway for the average theater goer by implementing Premium Seating where most of the orchestra seats are now hundreds of dollars.

Second the show was great, all pros up there doing their best work. It was hit but always a limited engagement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 7, 2018 11:41 PM

Indiscretions, starring Kathleen Turner, Eileen Atkins, and a young nude Jude Law, made me gay.

by Anonymousreply 150August 7, 2018 11:45 PM

Turner, she's great. Yeah, hmm. Why is my cock so big?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 7, 2018 11:45 PM

That's wonderful, r147! I wondered if that was Deborah Rush.....it was.

by Anonymousreply 152August 7, 2018 11:47 PM

I’m going to be banned for this, but young Meryl was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 153August 7, 2018 11:49 PM

It really does paint the Friends cast in a negative light. I hope at least she and Morgan Fairchild were able to have a few laughs together. They seem like two broads you'd love to hang out with.

I am surprised that they glossed over Serial Mom, which Kathleen seems to still get a kick out of. I have to say that, despite her health struggles and addictions which cost her her looks, she's had an enviable career. She's played some great roles in some great films and her theatre work has been excellent. Hell, I think that her career is certainly more interesting than Meryl's.

by Anonymousreply 154August 8, 2018 12:19 AM

I think it's Keaton.

She's obsessed with buying and flipping real estate. She said so in an interview and implied that taking her film roles was for the dough-ray-mee to supplement her capital gains on her real estate transactions.

In other words, phone it in, pick up check.

by Anonymousreply 155August 8, 2018 12:26 AM

I don't think it's Keaton. In her first decade, Keaton showed extraordinary range - heck, in 1977 alone the fact that she played Annie Hall and Theresa Dunn showed what a strong actress she is. I agree she's phoned it in for the past fifteen years (Something's Gotta Give is her last really strong performance).

I'm not so sure it's Roberts. At least Julia has been trying to show some range with August: Osage County, The Normal Heart and a rare villain turn in Mirror, Mirror.

I think it's either Reese or Sandra.

I agree with r154. I miss Kathleen on the screen. She is my favourite actress from the '80s - Body Heat, A Breed Apart, Crimes of Passion, Prizzi's Honor, Peggy Sue Got Married, Julia and Julia, The Accidental Tourist, Switching Channels, The War of the Roses. Even if the film wasn't great, she made it better.

by Anonymousreply 156August 8, 2018 12:35 AM

Eileen Atkins was forced to withdraw from the broadway production of INDISCRETIONS because she was diagnosed with cancer. Supposedly, what she said at the time was 'the bad news is I have cancer. The good news is I don't have to work with Kathleen Turner anymore.' ouch.

by Anonymousreply 157August 8, 2018 12:38 AM

I've never heard anyone describe the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf film that way. It's interesting that Edward Albee didn't like it. It's making me second-guess how good I thought it was. I also find her comments about Elizabeth Taylor spot on, especially her criticism of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 158August 8, 2018 12:41 AM

I'd never thought of the Virginia Woolf film that way either. I thought Liz was great in the movie, but I forgot that George just nurses one drink the whole show. That really did change in the film.

by Anonymousreply 159August 8, 2018 12:43 AM

Mike Nichols didn't like it either. He wanted to a remake for HBO in the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 160August 8, 2018 12:43 AM

THe first movie she ever did was the best in my opinion, Body Heat. Its the perfect movie.......I know why she didnt do it, but I wished she would have played more parts like that. Back in the studio days when you had a 7 year contract...the way they made stars was by having them do the same thing over and over. It might not be challenging from an actors point of view but you build a massive audience that way which translates to more $ in your career.........and she is in her 60 s and it sounds like $ is something of an issue..... so I can see why that could have been a mistake on her part to some extent. Regardless, she is interesting and bright and its fun to hear her views.

by Anonymousreply 161August 8, 2018 1:02 AM

Not to belabor the Friends issue but....

The trans character played by KT took some guts for a woman to play and required tremendous sensitivity. The character couldn’t be too femme or too masc and had to be likable and funny. AND the actress had to be a believable nightclub cabaret performer.

KT did a fantastic job in a tough role. To know that the Friends could have been shitty to her really gets my goat. Fuck them!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 162August 8, 2018 1:06 AM

What she said R161 is it hurt her financially. Nowhere does it say she is hurting for money.

by Anonymousreply 163August 8, 2018 1:06 AM

R163, if she's teaching acting, she's not doing so well, money-wise.

by Anonymousreply 164August 8, 2018 1:10 AM

Bullshit R164.

by Anonymousreply 165August 8, 2018 1:17 AM

[quote]I don't think she's made a lot of films people feel as cozy about.

LISTEN TO YOUR FILTHY MOUTH YA FUCKIN' WHORE!!!

by Anonymousreply 166August 8, 2018 1:27 AM

We all love "Body Heat" but it's easy to forget that it wasn't much of a hit when it first came out. Home video helped make it iconic but Kathleen herself said she had to go back to waitressing after. And she didn't book again until "Man With Two Brains" -- another femme fetale. So she was in danger of being a one trick pony. The one two punch of "Crimes..." and "Romancing the Stone" (the only one I hate, bad 80s filmmaking by the book) sealed the deal but that was four years after "Body Heat".

I didn't get her at first either, fought her -- and then loved her so much as China Blue that I became an instant fan. What American actress today would take those kinds of risks?

by Anonymousreply 167August 8, 2018 1:32 AM

I certainly can't see any mainstream actress taking on China Blue these days.

by Anonymousreply 168August 8, 2018 1:34 AM

great interview.

but shes not one of my faves.

weight gain and something called v.i. warshowski put the breaks on that film career.

by Anonymousreply 169August 8, 2018 1:34 AM

VI Warshawski was the movie that seemed to start her career decline. She had just had a big hit the year prior with War of the Roses, and there was a lot of buzz surrounding this flick, which was supposed to be the first in a series of films. Then the bad reviews came in, the movie tanked, and it was like she fell from the top practically overnight.

By the mid 90's, there were tons of cruel jokes being made about how fat she was, and rumors abounded about her being an alcoholic. A shame, because she had the chops to turn into a fine film character actress. I'd put her performances up there with the best: Streep, Lange, Bates, Huston.

by Anonymousreply 170August 8, 2018 1:35 AM

shes dead on about liz taylor. liz was a great big movie star but a terrible actor, same with audrey hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 171August 8, 2018 1:39 AM

sidenote, hubby was a slumlord in nyc. this comes up regularly because of the happyland fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 8, 2018 1:43 AM

R152

[quote]That's wonderful, [R147]! I wondered if that was Deborah Rush.....it was.

Sorry. I don't understand your comment.

by Anonymousreply 173August 8, 2018 1:44 AM

I recognized Deborah Rush playing Bianca in that production, r173.

by Anonymousreply 174August 8, 2018 1:47 AM

I wrote this elsewhere but do you know who they went after first for China Blue? She passed because of the non-negotiable nudity involved (much like Jack Gylenhaal passed on "The Dreamers" for the same reason).

Hint: she would've been great and had a voice almost as good as Kathleen's. And both were much thinner then (though I heard they had to be careful what days to shoot KT in that blue satin China Blue dress because she'd retain water on some days and look boxier.)

Answer: Kirstie Alley. And Jeff Bridges passed on the male lead "Quarterback" guy, to everyone's disappointment. And the Anthony Hopkins character was written as posing as a doctor originally and then it was changed to a street preacher.

by Anonymousreply 175August 8, 2018 1:51 AM

R175 How did the writer find working with Ken Russell? And thanks for the info, I am hard now

by Anonymousreply 176August 8, 2018 1:54 AM

Loved him and his vision. Fought with Kathleen a lot though. You probably know this but there was a LOT of Annie Potts cut out but it's back on the DVD now. She's pretty bad in the role though, so one note and insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 177August 8, 2018 1:56 AM

Why hasn’t their been a remake of RTS? It seems to be the perfect vehicle for Jennifer Lawrence. She can be funny/slapsticky and sexy. Pair her with Efron. Boom! $600 million.

by Anonymousreply 178August 8, 2018 1:57 AM

R177 Ha, Annie was so dreary, assumed she was playing the ennui of the frau. Is a bloody good film, unlike anything else, and no actress now would go near a character like China Blue

by Anonymousreply 179August 8, 2018 1:57 AM

Wouldn't JLaw tower over Efron? She looks so big onscreen to me.

by Anonymousreply 180August 8, 2018 1:58 AM

Randall Brady was so hot as the blonde cop who gets cuffed and abused by Kathleen. Pretty sure he was gay in real life too. Nice guy when we met, good looking but (what's new) seemed much smaller in person. That's when he told me he really spit in her face (when I asked).

That is the scene I always showed people to prove how brave Kathleen was. Don't think it was in the original release on-screen, put back in for video which was just then taking off. In the movie cut, it would go from her putting on her wig after Perkins traps her in the work elevator -- and straight to the old lady picking her up for her dying husband. The old lady, of course, is Peggy Furie, popular acting coach for Jessica Lange and many others; she died a bit later when she fell asleep at the wheel with that disease that makes one do that. (I don't think Kathleen was ever really in the backseat of that car with Peggy driving as a result).

by Anonymousreply 181August 8, 2018 2:05 AM

R181 Oh that cop scene is fucking outrageously good, perfect wank bank material

by Anonymousreply 182August 8, 2018 2:07 AM

Eileen Atkins is terrible to work with. She's barely literate so needs a lot of time to learn her lines. She turns down work in BBC radio as her reading isn't good enough.

by Anonymousreply 183August 8, 2018 2:12 AM

Miss Turner needs to rewatch Sweet Bird of Youth. That's not Elizabeth Taylor. Maybe Kathleen was drunk?

by Anonymousreply 184August 8, 2018 2:17 AM

Taylor did "Sweet Bird" for TV, with Mark Harmon.

by Anonymousreply 185August 8, 2018 2:19 AM

While Kathleen gives great quote in this interview, and I’m sure she put up with more than her share of crap in her time... I’d bet she was a huge bitch back when she was beautiful and on top of the world.

by Anonymousreply 186August 8, 2018 2:23 AM

R183 Eileen Atkins wrote the screenplay for the 1997 film version of Mrs. Dalloway. I have a hard time imagining someone who's barely literate writing a screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 187August 8, 2018 2:26 AM

I give her credit for not ripping Nic Cage apart. Of course Coppola would side with his nephew. Unfortunately Nic seems to be in a completely different movie.

by Anonymousreply 188August 8, 2018 2:28 AM

r186

being drunk and high all the time doesnt help matters.

r188 his was the weakest performance in the film,

by Anonymousreply 189August 8, 2018 2:30 AM

R187 I have a hard time imagining she did that all by herself.

I can honestly tell you for a fact she declines work offered to her on radio because she's not a strong reader. Perhaps she's dyslexic or something but she cannot work where it's required she reads from a page.

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2018 2:31 AM

I love Kathleen's candor. Skewering Hollywood's sacred cows and not giving two shits and a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 191August 8, 2018 2:31 AM

Cage sued her over her book.

There's a moment in "Peggy Sue" where he is about to kiss her and practically burps in her face and she can barely disguise her disgust, clearly not warned he was going to do it. Watch, it's pretty funny. I loved him in the film myself. Voice and all. He was a real actor then.

by Anonymousreply 192August 8, 2018 2:32 AM

I love Kathleen Turner. Peggy Sue Got Married is a nearly perfect movie. She’s brilliant in it. And let’s be real, Elizabeth Taylor was a stunningly beautiful icon and star, but that doesn’t mean she could act.

by Anonymousreply 193August 8, 2018 2:34 AM

Cage won the lawsuit, which may raise questions about the accuracy of some of her other statements in her book and in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 194August 8, 2018 2:35 AM

The Cage story had something to do with a stolen dog, I think. He couldn't sue over her opinion of working with him though.

Did Cher like him? That performance was just as over the top (and just as good if you ask me).

by Anonymousreply 195August 8, 2018 2:40 AM

I don't believe it's Aniston she's talking about. She wouldn't slag off all six of the main cast of Friends then suddenly demure from mentioning one of them by name. She seems pretty pissed off by their behaviour so is unlikely to decline criticising one of them for her career. She didn't pull back from criticising people she's worked with closely, never mind some people she only worked with for a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 196August 8, 2018 2:42 AM

cage was excellent in moonstruck. i get shivers when he orders cher to his bed.

cher liked cage in some other film and requested him for moonstruck, another great 80s film

by Anonymousreply 197August 8, 2018 2:44 AM

Well, thanks for thinking I've kept my looks, but I moved beyond Chrissy Snow LONG ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 8, 2018 2:46 AM

I go back and forth on Cage in Peggy Sue- it’s such a bizarre bit of acting. Somehow it works.

Turner should’ve had the Oscar though. It’s still a pretty extraordinary performance. I wonder what the thinking was: Fonda and Spacec already had BA Oscars, did Weaver and Turner as the up-and-comers cancel each other out?

by Anonymousreply 199August 8, 2018 2:47 AM

There was a "Peggy Sue Got Married" musical on the West End? Who saw it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 8, 2018 2:48 AM

Cher absolutely loved Cage and I think it's that offbeat persona that she thought would be ideal for Moonstruck that made her root for him to be cast.

I think Peggy Sue Got Married is one of Coppola's best films, and yet it never seems to be put in the same league as his other films as it's kind of written off as one he did for the $$. But Turner's performance is outstanding. The scene where she picks up the phone and it's her grandmother on the other end is heartbreaking. I think being released a year after Back to the Future didn't help but I think it's a far superior film. I like Cage's performance in it. He's quirky and charming. I wish it would get a proper Blu-ray release with deleted scenes. I remember seeing shots in the trailer that didn't end up in the movie.

Turner is one of those actresses who I can remember specific scenes in her films because she is so good in them: the aforementioned scene in PSGM, Barbara telling her husband she wished he was dead in War of the Roses, the scene between China Blue and the old man in Crimes of Passion, any scene in Body Heat, Joan typing her final words for her book, crying and toasting to her... cat in Romancing the Stone.

by Anonymousreply 201August 8, 2018 3:12 AM

She didn't like Taylor's performance in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? THEN FUCK HER.

I hope her arthritis seizes up when she's at the top of a long flight of stairs.

by Anonymousreply 202August 8, 2018 3:17 AM

r201

the breakup scene in peggysue where she tells cage she has to close her heart and move on with her life is excellent too

by Anonymousreply 203August 8, 2018 3:18 AM

r203 yes, great scene. Definitely a movie I need to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 204August 8, 2018 3:23 AM

She should play Katy Mixon's mother on "American Housewife."

by Anonymousreply 205August 8, 2018 3:38 AM

Fun interview. I think Bullock is the actress who's played the same role for 20 years. Has she ever played an unlikeable character or even a cold one? Witherspoon's played daffy blondes, tough gals and villains. She doesn't have the biggest range as an actress--but Tracey Flick is a different character than Elle Woods. Nicole Kidman's done a lot of different roles. Diane Keaton's range isn't huge, but Annie Hall isn't the same character as her part in Marvin's role. She basically does supporting roles now. Aniston's not much of an actress, but she has tried on some serious roles--Cake, the bad boss one--in between her rom-coms. It's lack of range, not willingness to take chances. Roberts is closer to playing the same role, but she mixes in different sorts of movies--Erin Brokavich isn't Tinker Bell or hooker with the heart of gold in Pretty Women. Not a huge range, but not no range.

But Bullock is always the nice, warm woman-next-door. And she's in the position to take risks. She can afford it, but she chooses not to do so. Could she play a villain? Who knows? She's never done it.

And her plastic surgery's *great*--she does look the same.

She sounds like a nice-enough person--so no reason to make an enemy of her. Basically, she fits the description more than any of the other actresses.

by Anonymousreply 206August 8, 2018 4:13 AM

I’m not sure when this interview is from, but her voice has gotten way deeper. She sounds like Christine Jorgensen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 8, 2018 4:30 AM

It's a Canadian late night talk show, r207, on CBC. The host is really pretentious and boring.

by Anonymousreply 208August 8, 2018 4:32 AM

Sorry, r207, I thought you wrote "where" not "when".

by Anonymousreply 209August 8, 2018 4:33 AM

How dull of Diane Keaton to be flipping real estate.

by Anonymousreply 210August 8, 2018 4:54 AM

Love love love her voice. Actors should have memorable voices.

by Anonymousreply 211August 8, 2018 4:55 AM

What did Winger say about her?

by Anonymousreply 212August 8, 2018 4:56 AM

Diane Keaton also slaps her name on wine.

by Anonymousreply 213August 8, 2018 5:03 AM

My first Broadway show was Gemini in ’78. I played this spoiled white girl

Really, Kathleen? What, "Raisin in the Sun" wasn't being produced?

by Anonymousreply 214August 8, 2018 5:29 AM

The actress who played Ross' girlfriend Emily on Friends also didn't feel welcome on set.

by Anonymousreply 215August 8, 2018 5:47 AM

Forty years ago I hung out at Hanratty's bar on the UWS. She was briefly a waitress there. Very soon after, I was watching her in Body Heat.

by Anonymousreply 216August 8, 2018 5:54 AM

I heard Tom Selleck cried himself to sleep every night during his stint on Friends because the cast was so cold and indifferent toward him during rehearsals and while filming.

by Anonymousreply 217August 8, 2018 6:11 AM

Courtney and Jen didn’t want to share their coke with strangers.

by Anonymousreply 218August 8, 2018 6:13 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 219August 8, 2018 6:16 AM

Exactly what R206 said. And I like Sandy too, so I wouldn't bash her. Even though, yes, she's been playing the same part for 20 years. She filled a very nice niche in the late 90s and beyond with that sweet lesbian vibe in very Hollywood movies. It was comforting while waiting for something better.

by Anonymousreply 220August 8, 2018 6:17 AM

[quote]You’ve done a handful of television. To pick one show you guest-starred on: What stands out about your experience on Friends?

[quote]I’ll be quite honest, which is my wont: I didn’t feel very welcomed by the cast. I remember I was wearing this difficult sequined gown — and my high heels were absolutely killing me. I found it odd that none of the actors thought to offer me a seat. Finally it was one of the older crew members that said, “Get Miss Turner a chair.” The Friends actors were such a clique — but I don’t think my experience with them was unique. I think it was simply that they were such a tight little group that nobody from the outside mattered.

[quote]How did you find them as actors and actresses?

[quote]I won’t comment on that.

I'm trying to imagine the scenario where all of the Friends cast members would be just sitting there while Kathleen stood in her dress and high heels (which she describes as being uncomfortable as if she really was a man in drag). I would think the cast would be either rehearsing their parts too, or not even on stage. Would it be up to them to think of getting someone a chair? I would think that would be the stage manager's job.

And, whether or not one approves of their non-chair-giving etiquette, the Friends cast members were pretty good actors on that show. I don't really get the gratuitous dig at their talent.

by Anonymousreply 221August 8, 2018 9:25 AM

R221, you wouldn't know talent if you sat on it.

by Anonymousreply 222August 8, 2018 9:40 AM

Were they supposed to be Shakespearean while performing in a weekly sitcom, R222? They were talented on that show.

by Anonymousreply 223August 8, 2018 9:42 AM

[quote] And she didn't book again until "Man With Two Brains" -- another femme fetale.

I read in an interview somewhere that she was getting offered nothing BUT femme fatale roles, and took MWTB thinking a spoof of that kind of character would put an end to those offers.

by Anonymousreply 224August 8, 2018 9:53 AM

Im glad people are finally openly saying about female Hollywood icons what they’ve been saying about males for decades — that many of them couldn’t act.

People say it about Heston and Wayne, but not Taylor and (Audrey) Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 225August 8, 2018 10:43 AM

[quote]I wish it would get a proper Blu-ray release with deleted scenes. I remember seeing shots in the trailer that didn't end up in the movie.

From what I remember, one of those subplots, about the paraplegic classmate, was removed entirely. We only briefly see her as an adult at the reunion, but in the past she’s a celebrated athlete before a car crash? or something and Peggy Sue debates on warning the woman about her accident.

by Anonymousreply 226August 8, 2018 11:52 AM

Hmmm... No mention of her two failed attempts to find success in a one-woman play about Tallulah Bankhead.

Those reviews were memorable. She is definitely talented, but she should try attending acting class for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 8, 2018 1:00 PM

I got to meet Kathleen at the Monstermania horror convention in Cherry Hill, NJ. I was glad to meet her but it was sad to see her doing a convention like this. She had a decent line but at times she had no one. She was friendly but did seem to hate being there. Got my blurays of Body Heat, Romancing the Stone and Serial Mom autographed.

by Anonymousreply 228August 8, 2018 1:05 PM

She was totally speaking of Roberts. Good interview, she is indeed a good broad.

by Anonymousreply 229August 8, 2018 2:24 PM

If you read the article, you would know its not Anniston she talking about. She explicitly said she wouldn't comment on Friends cast.

by Anonymousreply 230August 8, 2018 3:05 PM

r230 she also says she won't explicitly state who it is, actress-wise, that she is speaking of

by Anonymousreply 231August 8, 2018 3:36 PM

Sandy has played unlikeable a few times.

She was an out-of-control drunk in 28 Days, an asshole boss in The Proposal, and a shrill racist in Crash.

by Anonymousreply 232August 8, 2018 4:09 PM

By scraping the bottom of the IMDb barrel of Bullock, Aniston, Keaton, etc., we are assuming that Kathleen Turner has done the same when she said that this certain actress has been playing the same role for 20 years. Somehow I doubt she did that. Her comment sounded more like a cursory observation on the actress' career over the past 20 years. Even that number could have been some rough throwaway estimate.

This wasn't a blind item where the interviewer meant for us to guess conclusively who it is. There are more than a few possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 233August 8, 2018 4:19 PM

Its Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 234August 8, 2018 4:38 PM

DL Sandra Bullock Historian, would you recommend 28 days?

by Anonymousreply 235August 8, 2018 5:07 PM

[quote]None of them did, by the by.

Sure Kathleen. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 236August 8, 2018 5:12 PM

"Peggy Sue" is mostly great but the script was chopped to bits. There's at least 10 pages of getting to know the now Peggy Sue up front, at her bakery, etc. (maybe with the son too, now invisible in the film) before she goes to the reunion. And a whole story about the girl in the wheelchair, how she got there (gymnastics accident) and how Peggy can't stop it from happening again. Ditto more about those rings Mom is selling or whatever.

We are rewriting history when we think Marlee Matlin wasn't the shoe-in for the Oscar that year. Kind of like the year the deaf girl won Miss America after dancing to music in her head. Nobody else had a prayer. And her film was up for Best Picture too, which always helps.

by Anonymousreply 237August 8, 2018 5:54 PM

(I think Coppola fell in love with the opening shot idea of Peggy and her "reflection" in the mirror -- played by a double -- that he threw out all the backstory. So it kind of feels like walking into a movie with a reel missing).

by Anonymousreply 238August 8, 2018 6:05 PM

[quote]I got to meet Kathleen at the Monstermania horror convention in Cherry Hill, NJ. I was glad to meet her but it was sad to see her doing a convention like this. She had a decent line but at times she had no one. She was friendly but did seem to hate being there. Got my blurays of Body Heat, Romancing the Stone and Serial Mom autographed.

There was major fuck up with that show as it was oversold and the fire department closed it off to any new people. There were a lot of people who paid for tickets that were turned away. At a normal show she would have had people online all day. That was her first show so it must have been lucrative or she didn't hate it because she has booked more shows.

by Anonymousreply 239August 8, 2018 6:47 PM

I love her. What a broad! My friend was an assistant to CZ Guest and Kathleen and her used to come over and go out on the balcony and smoke cigs. She was always fun and cool.

by Anonymousreply 240August 8, 2018 7:15 PM

My friend met her at that convention and said she was a fun lady, but didn't like the posed pictures much when people would try to touch her. Who could blame her?

by Anonymousreply 241August 8, 2018 7:30 PM

I think that you have to have a certain personality type to enjoy being a celebrity guest at fan events like conventions. Kathleen Turner does not strike me as being that type.

by Anonymousreply 242August 8, 2018 7:42 PM

[quote] We are rewriting history when we think Marlee Matlin wasn't the shoe-in for the Oscar that year. Kind of like the year the deaf girl won Miss America after dancing to music in her head. Nobody else had a prayer. And her film was up for Best Picture too, which always helps.

No dear, we're not. Matlin was seen as something of a surprise, and the field that year was actually wide open because of the paucity of good lead female roles. When you have to draw from Jane Fonda in The Morning After (terrible choice) or Sigourney Weaver in Aliens (which was more of a happy surprise but would have never happened in a more competitive year), then you know anything can happen. There actually were more performances to draw from if the companies that were distributing these films would have put money into an Oscar campaign. Glenda Jackson in Turtle Diary, Martha Henry in Dancing in the Dark, Chloe Webb in Sid & Nancy, Laura Dern for Smooth Talk (though who knows what year she was considered since Smooth Talk had a very odd release and could have been 85.)

Going into the ceremony, Matlin had won exactly ONE award, the Golden Globe for Drama. Spacek may have actually been considered the front runner as she won the most pre-Oscar awards (GG for Comedy and the NYFCC). Turner won the National Board of Review, Chloe Webb won the National Society of Film Critics for Sid & Nancy and Sandrine Bonnaire won the LAFCC for Vagabond.

The award frontrunners were Turner and Spacek, with Matlin the dark horse. Weaver and Fonda were nothing more than category fillers.

by Anonymousreply 243August 8, 2018 7:53 PM

Not how I remember it and I was waist deep in the biz then. And with boyfriend/co-star William Hurt presenting, having won the year before, so he could sign to her when she won... an Oscar moment waiting to happen. Matlin was the frontrunner. (And "Peggy Sue..." was considered a piece of fluff, hence no other nominations).

by Anonymousreply 244August 8, 2018 8:16 PM

John Wayne truly was a dreadful actor...one of the most one dimensional actors in Hollywood. He makes Walter Brennan look like Olivier. And Brennan sucked.

by Anonymousreply 245August 8, 2018 9:03 PM

[quote]We are rewriting history when we think Marlee Matlin wasn't the shoe-in for the Oscar that year. Kind of like the year the deaf girl won Miss America after dancing to music in her head. Nobody else had a prayer.

You can't beat that.

by Anonymousreply 246August 8, 2018 9:10 PM

With Wayne, there are better films.

He was good in "Red River" and "The Searchers".

by Anonymousreply 247August 8, 2018 9:19 PM

R92, it was Kathleen Fucking Turner! She deserved to be treated far better than they treated her.

by Anonymousreply 248August 8, 2018 9:37 PM

You're giving everyone a headache R243 It was different time. It was when anyone could be the winner, unlike now when every major category is known from the Golden Gloves to Oscar night. Sally Field's reaction was genuine where now everyone feigns surprise and goes home and puts the Oscar on the mantle with the 32 other awards they won that year. So Marlee was a shoo in for some and a complete surprise for others.

by Anonymousreply 249August 8, 2018 9:47 PM

[quote]from the Golden Gloves to Oscar night

I'm gonna say one thing: Fuck Trump!

by Anonymousreply 250August 8, 2018 9:52 PM

Nice shot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 8, 2018 9:56 PM

There was a time when I found her to be very Anne Baxter.

by Anonymousreply 252August 8, 2018 10:08 PM

The one scene where Peggy Sue gets on the phone with her Grandmother was Oscar worthy in itself. It so touching, I know Mary! It always gets me verklempt.

She is right about Liz Taylor. Her voice always annoyed me.

by Anonymousreply 253August 8, 2018 10:13 PM

Kathleen was most definitely a front runner for the Oscar that year. And Peggy Sue was not considered a piece of fluff by everyone. Both Siskel and Ebert put it on their ten best of the year list and raved about Turner's performance. Turner was considered a frontrunner in part because she had also been snubbed for previous nominations. in Romancing the Stone and Prizzi's Honor. She also had the biggest hit in that category after Sigourney's Aliens.

I think perceived arrogance turned the voters off. There was that infamous quote about going into a room and if a man didn't glance at her, it was because they were gay that circulated around that time. Plus, there were also rumors that she was difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 254August 8, 2018 10:24 PM

She's in one of the greatest campy movies of all time, "Serial Mom". I fkin love that film. Its so underrated.

by Anonymousreply 255August 8, 2018 10:58 PM

In case someone hasn't already updated poor delusional R60 yet . . . Reese and Jen are co producing and co starring in a new series that was announced a year ago. And from the hundreds of recent photos of the two of them together online, they sure look like good buddies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 9, 2018 12:02 AM

R235, it is passable.

Sandy hits a rather shocking low at her sister Elizabeth Perkins’ wedding, shown in flashback.

There is a gay character at the rehab with her, strictly for laffs, which were not elicited from me. He’s sexlessly played by the otherwise sexy Alan Tudyk.

Viggo Mortensen and Dominic West are the hot guys in the film.

It’s directed by Betty Thomas, who acted in Hill Street Blues.

Maybe DL is in need of a Sandy B thread?

by Anonymousreply 257August 9, 2018 12:25 AM

While I don't think KT can act subtly to save her life, I'm surprised and saddened that she hasn't taken on any great character roles in all of the dramatic series that are now being produced by HBO, SHO, Netflix, Amazon, AMC, etc. etc.

Surely, Margo Martindale and Ann Dowd can't play all those old broads?

by Anonymousreply 258August 9, 2018 12:43 AM

[quote]We are rewriting history when we think Marlee Matlin wasn't the shoe-in for the Oscar that year. Kind of like the year the deaf girl won Miss America after dancing to music in her head. Nobody else had a prayer.

I'm signing "fuck you" to the person who wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 259August 9, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote]Kathleen was most definitely a front runner for the Oscar that year. And Peggy Sue was not considered a piece of fluff by everyone. Both Siskel and Ebert put it on their ten best of the year list and raved about Turner's performance.

No it was A list from the get go. I got to go to the World Premiere at the New York Film Festival at Lincoln Center and Coppola and the cast came out on stage after the picture.

by Anonymousreply 260August 9, 2018 1:16 AM

I am guessing r12's father was a jock with a mustache and dark oily hair.

by Anonymousreply 261August 9, 2018 1:34 AM

For all of the Taylor-bashing, she was terrific in Virginia Woolf. I saw KT on Broadway and she was very good in the first half, but she rushed the last portion which robbed it of the shattering effect it needed. Yes, Taylor had an untrained voice that veers into screechiness, but her breakdown in the last part of WAOVW is exquisite, while Turner left me completely unmoved.

by Anonymousreply 262August 9, 2018 1:43 AM

I remember seeing her in a tiny cameo in a piece of total, delicious schlock called Nurse 3D a few years back. It's literally a glorified slasher film and Kathleen is in it for a split second. I wonder if she owed someone a favor. It seemed like such a weird choice to put someone like her in a role where she has maybe 5 lines and could have been played by any unknown day player. It was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 263August 9, 2018 1:45 AM

'28 Days' is one of the worst and most tone-deaf films I've ever seen. It's basically a typical Sandy Bullock romcom unsuccessfully masquerading as a serious film about addiction. It makes rehab look like one big slumber party.

Just watch '28 Days Later' instead.

by Anonymousreply 264August 9, 2018 1:46 AM

If you look back in Globes history winning the best actress drama globe over the comedy best actress globe makes you a serious contender and in many instances the front runner. Matlins handicap plus the film being nominated for best pic along with three acting nominations cemented her win.

by Anonymousreply 265August 9, 2018 1:47 AM

[quote]My friend met her at that convention and said she was a fun lady, but didn't like the posed pictures much when people would try to touch her. Who could blame her?

Varla Jean Merman tells a similar story — KT was nice and wanted to get a picture, but when VJ went in for the standard arm around the waist, Kathleen snapped at her. "Maybe it was the arthritis," Varla Jean said.

by Anonymousreply 266August 9, 2018 2:35 AM

I was 10 and my whole family knew Marlee Matlin was gonna win. Same way we knew Sean Connery would win next year. Don’t rewrite history.

by Anonymousreply 267August 9, 2018 2:43 AM

"Serial Mom" is great fun, but when an actress with a resume like Kathleen Turner's finds herself working for John Waters and playing Divine's old role, it is not a good career omen.

by Anonymousreply 268August 9, 2018 2:46 AM

[quote] I was 10 and my whole family knew Marlee Matlin was gonna win. Same way we knew Sean Connery would win next year. Don’t rewrite history.

Sure, hon. You and your flyover brood all sat together and made the prediction after popping a bowl full of popcorn. And no one even made fun of you for being such a hyperactive flounce as soon as the show started.

by Anonymousreply 269August 9, 2018 3:06 AM

I saw her in The Graduate with Jason Biggs and Alicia Silverstone. It was okay! And I saw KT's boobs, which looked perfectly respectable.

I think she was talking about Julia Roberts.

Even though Reece and Aniston are besties now, Reese really was treated like crap on the set of Friends. Clearly they've made up -- and why not. I'm sure they'd both be comfortable with admitting they'd had moments at when they'd not been at their best.

I think she downplayed her alcoholism and the effect it had on her behavior at work, and the overall effect it had on her career. No drunk who's still drinking wants to admit that their drinking affected work. Somehow people think it's okay to admit they treated everyone else in their life like shit when they were drunk, and then are proud to tell you, "it never affected my work."

by Anonymousreply 270August 9, 2018 3:39 AM

Okay, you've all been fairly warned now. Anyone else want to come for us? Because you will not succeed in dividing us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 9, 2018 4:09 AM

R271 The Friends cast may not have been divided, but viewers sure were: that gif alone is enough to remind me why I was only able to watch two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 272August 9, 2018 4:15 AM

Shit, I didn't know things were so bad for KT that she was doing autograph shows.

by Anonymousreply 273August 9, 2018 4:18 AM

I worked for William Morris Agency in NY when Children of a Lesser God had been adapted from play to screenplay and was being sent around. At that point, everyone pretty much knew the part itself as Oscar bait. Whoever ended up landing it opposite star William Hurt, (who had come off 2 straight Oscar noms) would win the following year. Our minds didn't change when it was released and everybody was talking about Marlee Matlin.

No surprise at all when she won.

by Anonymousreply 274August 9, 2018 4:22 AM

Matlin and Hurt are good in the film, but the script is unrelievedly heavy-handed, like a lousy Lifetime movie, and I just wanted it to end. It's only 2 hours long, but it felt like 4 to me.

by Anonymousreply 275August 9, 2018 4:27 AM

I have always irrationally hated her. I thought her most believable role was as Chandler’s trans father.

by Anonymousreply 276August 9, 2018 4:33 AM

Could they not have taken a better picture?

by Anonymousreply 277August 9, 2018 4:36 AM

Well, R262, Ben Brantley begs to differ:

"Part of the gorgeousness, by the way, of Ms. Turner's performance is its lack of vanity. At 50, this actress can look ravishing and ravaged, by turns. In the second act, she is as predatorily sexy as she was in the movie "Body Heat." But in the third and last act she looks old, bereft, stripped of all erotic flourish.

When she sits at the center of the stage quietly reciting a litany of the reasons she loves her dearly despised husband, you feel she has peeled back each layer of her skin to reveal what George describes as the marrow of a person. I was fortunate enough to have seen Uta Hagen, who created Martha, reprise the role in a staged reading in 1999, and I didn't think I would ever be able to see "Virginia Woolf" again without thinking of Ms. Hagen.

But watching Ms. Turner in that last act, fully clothed but more naked than she ever was in "The Graduate," I didn't see the specter of Ms. Hagen. All I saw was Ms. Turner. No, let's be fair. All I saw was Martha."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278August 9, 2018 4:38 AM

r264 Zombies in both. What’s the difference? Seriously, though, I stupidly ignored 28 Days Later for some time because, not even having seen the trailer, I just assumed it was a sequel.

r278 Ben Brantley is hardly the last word in theatre criticism. But that was pretty well-written, if a bit fanboyish.

by Anonymousreply 279August 9, 2018 4:44 AM

Kathleen had it all: Global success, Hollywood stardom, Peggy Sue, Body Heat, Martha, China Blue, Joan Wilder, Jessica Rabbit, Oscar Nomination, Tony Nomination, John Waters, John Huston, gorgeousness, fat, wealth ,health, disease, drama, laughter, victory, loss, Jack Nicholson, Nic Cage, Michael Douglas, William Hurt and the naked body of John Laughlin spread all over her.

Who can ask for anything more?

by Anonymousreply 280August 9, 2018 4:50 AM

I love that the right-wing imbeciles who were faux apoplectic over criticism of Huckabee's smokey eye (because they're slow-witted morons who missed that the joke wasn't about her looks) are attacking a woman in her 60s over her looks because she like every other normal human being knows Trump is just a fucking gross pig who appeals to low-life trash regardless of their bank account.

I saw one of these morons put a side-by-side of Melania vs. a current day Turner. I mean when they do that, do they know they're idiots both for their hypocrisy in whining about imagined attacks from "libtard" comediennes on Huckabee's looks as they attack an old woman's looks and also their delusions that Melania and her plastic surgery are even in the same league as a natural beauty like Turner in her 20s/30s/40s.

by Anonymousreply 281August 9, 2018 4:57 AM

I just found this little gem:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282August 9, 2018 5:12 AM

This is R281

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283August 9, 2018 5:20 AM

Is Julia and Julia worth watching? The plot sounds intriguing but it has a rather crappy IMDB rating.

by Anonymousreply 284August 9, 2018 5:46 AM

[quote] I worked for William Morris Agency in NY when Children of a Lesser God had been adapted from play to screenplay and was being sent around. At that point, everyone pretty much knew the part itself as Oscar bait. Whoever ended up landing it opposite star William Hurt, (who had come off 2 straight Oscar noms) would win the following year.

Really? You knew this all even though at the time the script was being sent around, Hurt had yet to be nominated for either of those two Oscars (the 2nd of which WAS for Children of a Lesser God). I didn't realize WME was populated with an office full of clairvoyants.

by Anonymousreply 285August 9, 2018 5:54 AM

r284 it's worth watching for Sting's beautiful ass.

by Anonymousreply 286August 9, 2018 6:06 AM

"Peggy Sue Got Married" is brilliant, and Kathleen's performance is perhaps her best.

"Serial Mom" is one of the slyest, most audacious black comedies of the last couple decades and is considered to be John Waters and Turner at the top of their games.

by Anonymousreply 287August 9, 2018 6:13 AM

Nobody expected Turner would receive an Oscar nom for Serial Mom. But, c'mon, she could have gotten a Golden Globe nom in the comedy category. She, by far, gave the greatest comic performance that year!

by Anonymousreply 288August 9, 2018 6:27 AM

R285 Yes. we did. And we were right. I could give you a ton more examples if you want.

But anyone who worked in that part of the business knows an Oscar script and an Oscar role when they see it. It doesn't always pan out, but it does often enough.

Personally, I love Kathleen Turner and I wanted her to win, (mostly to make up for not even being nominated for Romancing the Stone or Crimes of Passion because the competing votes might have canceled her out). But I recall that year was considered weak in the actress category, and at the time of nominations, Matlin was considered a shoo-in.

by Anonymousreply 289August 9, 2018 6:33 AM

r286 Sting's ass was also in full view in Brimstone and Treacle, on the whole a better movie.

I saw Serial Mom Friday night of opening weekend. I have rarely been with an audience that was so completely in a movie's control. We reacted as one with shock, disgust, glee, laughter, horror, you name it, all the "right" reactions John Waters was going for. (Enough people still remembered who Patty Hearst was, I guess, because there were titters all around every time she came on.)

by Anonymousreply 290August 9, 2018 6:40 AM

This thread is making me feel nostalgic, even remembering William Hurt in Kiss of the Spider Woman and that decade of movies and actors. It really doesn't feel like that anymore, culturally speaking, and I'm not smart enough to articulate what I'm trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 291August 9, 2018 6:49 AM

Is this the cocksucker residence?

(cracks me up! every time!!!)

by Anonymousreply 292August 9, 2018 7:55 AM

Possibly, R257. Thank you for all the info on 28 days! I might check it. One of the few Sandy films I haven't seen. Interesting points, R264. This means again I have to see it and report back. The fact that I never bothered before is however indicative...

by Anonymousreply 293August 9, 2018 8:45 AM

R258 Margo Martindale, Ann Dowd, and Harriet Sansom Harris, are WAY thinner. They're all fantastic actresses btw. Anyway. It's all about what the audience wants. It's a business.

by Anonymousreply 294August 9, 2018 8:48 AM

[quote]Shit, I didn't know things were so bad for KT that she was doing autograph shows.

Lots of people do the shows now. Most the superheros do. Hell, Harrison Ford the most successful actor in the history of movies has done couple of private signings.

by Anonymousreply 295August 9, 2018 12:01 PM

Fun fact: Kathleen and Tina Turner are first cousins! You can hear the resemblance in their raspy voices and the nose and mouth areas.

by Anonymousreply 296August 9, 2018 12:12 PM

Autograph shows can be very lucrative. It was just sad looking over and seeing her alone at her table while the kids from IT had lines out the door. I realize the kids from IT are the bigger draw at a horror convention but it's Kathleen Fucking Turner. I remember years back going to the Big Apple Comic Con in a run down hotel in NY and in the corner of this big crowded room was poor Celeste Holm. She had her Golden Globe on her table which sadly looked like a third place soccer trophy. It was just sad.

by Anonymousreply 297August 9, 2018 12:17 PM

what is IT? Apart from IT from work, obvs. I would have gone to Kathleen Turner.

by Anonymousreply 298August 9, 2018 12:36 PM

R298 Stephen King movie about a sewer-dwelling, child-killing clown that turns out to be a lame shapeshifting spider killed by a slingshot.

Kathleen Turner would make a terrifying IT.

by Anonymousreply 299August 9, 2018 12:43 PM

[quote]This means again I have to see it and report back. The fact that I never bothered before is how

Don’t bother, R293. We don’t care

by Anonymousreply 300August 9, 2018 12:46 PM

Oh, It... Yes I see what that is. Uninteresting as far as I'm concerned. Everyone was reading that book in HS. Who cares. Misery and The Shawshank Redemption were good, though. Not a big fan of Stephen King. I guess The Shining seems good too (the book).

by Anonymousreply 301August 9, 2018 12:50 PM

Her constant shitting on Elizabeth Taylor reeks of insecurity to me. Turner's Martha never touched ET's and she knows it, but also who cares? Taylor gave one of the iconic performances in all of film in that movie, so why be so incessantly critical?

Turner also did an interesting rewrite of history as far as her career decline was concerned. Blamed it all on the arthritis and not on her own behavior. Still like her, though.

by Anonymousreply 302August 9, 2018 1:17 PM

I wonder how you talk about someone you dislike.

by Anonymousreply 303August 9, 2018 1:19 PM

I remember Miss Turner herself saying it was Marlee's year when she was on the red carpet before the ceremony even started.

It was on ET's post Oscar recap.

If I ever find the old videotape with her saying that I will post it and bump up this thread.

by Anonymousreply 304August 9, 2018 3:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305August 9, 2018 3:51 PM

Seriously, did ANYONE think they weren't going to reward the first hearing impaired actor/actress nominated in film history? In a lead? Hollywood? The Oscars?

Nobody wanted to beat Matlin that year. Who'd want that? It would've felt heartless.

by Anonymousreply 306August 9, 2018 3:55 PM

Whatever, r306. Kathleen should have kicked her in the cunt. Pulled the baby’s breath out of her hair then kicked her in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 307August 9, 2018 3:59 PM

We should be spreading the Donald Trump creepy handshake quote everywhere. It will make Trump furious.

by Anonymousreply 308August 9, 2018 4:52 PM

Taylor does have an awful, untrained voice, but then, so does Sally Field. Doesn't mean that she (or Sally) haven't given some good/great performances. Taylor is great in Virginia Woolf, though there are other ways to play the role, but so much of Martha is contingent on the performance of the actor playing George and vice-versa. Taylor's Martha suited Burton's George. Didn't see Turner's performance. Turner really focuses on the voice, I suspect since her voice is so celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 309August 9, 2018 5:28 PM

Taylor sounded like Minnie fucking Mouse. But that was one of the least problematic things about her - her poor acting talent, her neediness and her hanging around with paedophile were much worse.

by Anonymousreply 310August 9, 2018 5:43 PM

Great interview - like a leisurely chat with a barfly at the Mizpah Hotel who has been through a couple of bad marriages and is ready to dispense advice on any subject.

by Anonymousreply 311August 9, 2018 5:55 PM

r311 I was going to say like Judy on Jack Paar.

by Anonymousreply 312August 9, 2018 6:03 PM

Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 313August 9, 2018 6:06 PM

I never paid much attention to Eileen Atkins but I liked her reoccurring character on Doc Martin, very dry wit. She was fantastic in the first season of The Crown as Queen Mary. That curtsy to Elizabeth, just an amazing scene.

by Anonymousreply 314August 9, 2018 6:12 PM

Has Eileen Atkins ever written a memoir? Haven’t seen anything online. Interesting what she said about Turner, and am most curious about her recollections of working with Woody Allen, Robert Altman, and eccentric Sarah Miles (with whom Atkins worked in the original London cast of “Vivat! Vivat Regina!”)

by Anonymousreply 315August 9, 2018 6:17 PM

Miss Atkins.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316August 9, 2018 7:23 PM

[quote] [R285] Yes. we did. And we were right. I could give you a ton more examples if you want.

That's okay. After your example of William Hurt coming off of two Oscar nominations before Children of a Lesser God was even filmed, I think we all know just how knowledgable you are.

by Anonymousreply 317August 9, 2018 7:35 PM

So, Turner is doing a cabaret act now? I never knew she was a singer. I do seem to remember her disdain of musicals in an interview once where she said "what's wrong with them just talking? Isn't that enough?" I picture her singing voice a lot like Elaine Stritch's.

I always thought she'd make a great Joanne in Company. Maybe even a great Phyllis in Follies. Hell, why not aim high - I'd see her as Mama Rose in Gypsy, too.

by Anonymousreply 318August 9, 2018 8:59 PM

Oh, THAT's who Eileen Atkins is. That old cunt from the Crown?

by Anonymousreply 319August 9, 2018 9:03 PM

r318 She would be crucified on DL for not being able to pull off the dancing in the Loveland sequence. Or would have been, if she had done it before the weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 320August 9, 2018 9:27 PM

Let me tell you about Eileen Atkins...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321August 9, 2018 9:41 PM

Recently she had a guest part on The Path as Cal's horrible mother. I didn't recognize her, but she was great.

by Anonymousreply 322August 9, 2018 9:58 PM

That's DAME Eileen Atkins, to you plebeians.

by Anonymousreply 323August 9, 2018 10:04 PM

She makes ME look good!

by Anonymousreply 324August 9, 2018 10:09 PM

Every time I see her or read about KT I recall her on 9/11 standing outside a NYC hospital manning a rolling bed waiting for casualties to arrive. She kept asking frantically 'where are they? where are they? ".

by Anonymousreply 325August 9, 2018 10:16 PM

Woah! Did Kathleen really do that on 9/11? That's kinda awesome.

by Anonymousreply 326August 9, 2018 10:20 PM

I liked that she only gave one interview that day -- in Spanish. On Telemundo, I think. So she didn't turn it into a press conference.

by Anonymousreply 327August 9, 2018 10:26 PM

In Wit,, as a John Donne scholar. Starts about 44 seconds in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328August 9, 2018 10:42 PM

Snake and jeans are a great look!

by Anonymousreply 329August 9, 2018 10:46 PM

Dame Atkins was also in "I Don't Want to be Born", one of the campiest horror films ever made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330August 9, 2018 10:58 PM

[quote]Woah! Did Kathleen really do that on 9/11? That's kinda awesome.

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331August 10, 2018 12:06 AM

Except she didn't say "where are they" R331.

by Anonymousreply 332August 10, 2018 12:12 AM

I loved her in MAN WITH TWO BRAINS! I haven't seen it in 30 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333August 10, 2018 12:25 AM

Colin Farrell is so cute.

by Anonymousreply 334August 10, 2018 7:37 AM

R332. She certainly did. And that's why she left. Because they didn't arrive.

by Anonymousreply 335August 10, 2018 8:00 AM

Interesting comments about Jewel of the Nile. It has to be the worst sequel to a good movie. Michael Douglas should have sucked it up and paid the RTS screenwriter to write the script.

by Anonymousreply 336August 10, 2018 2:36 PM

I just watched Romancing the Stone and it is very dated.

by Anonymousreply 337August 10, 2018 4:23 PM

Into the mud, Scum Queen!

by Anonymousreply 338August 10, 2018 5:03 PM

She’s quite loose with the facts and alwsys has been. So every man at the time propositioned her and she was so virtuous she turned them ALL down?? But in her bio she admits to having an affair with Michael Douglas? She’s full of shit - and you know she wasn’t born with that affected concoction of a voice don’t you?

by Anonymousreply 339August 10, 2018 10:23 PM

She's from Europia.

by Anonymousreply 340August 10, 2018 10:27 PM

R1 Maybe Susan Sarandon. She’s great at conveying emotion and intelligence but it IS pretty much always the same.

Granted, most stars are like that. Kathleen Turner included.

by Anonymousreply 341August 10, 2018 11:07 PM

[quote]So every man at the time propositioned her and she was so virtuous she turned them ALL down??

She never made this claim.

by Anonymousreply 342August 10, 2018 11:08 PM

R336 I believe original RTS writer was killed in a car crash not long afterward

by Anonymousreply 343August 10, 2018 11:17 PM

Peggy Sue Got Married needs the Criterion treatment.

by Anonymousreply 344August 11, 2018 1:29 AM

She was right about Jewel of the Nile. I loved it as a kid because RTS was so much fun and the Billy Ocean song was a huge hit. But watching it years later, it is a slog to get through.

I think RTS is still very enjoyable. Turner and Douglas have great chemistry, terrific Alan Silvestri score and fun action scenes.

And fantastic idea, r344. Criterion seems to be doing more mid-to-late '80s films lately like Bull Durham and sex, lies and videotape.

by Anonymousreply 345August 11, 2018 2:51 AM

I always loved Julia Phillips in her book regarding Kathleen's taste in men like her slumlord hubby and her fat ugly Gersh agent, David Guc, whom she fucked to the top (in the guise of "dating"): "She must not look in the mirror much if she is dating these scumbags" or something like that. True, she never really went for the Hollywood co-star thing. Living in NYC kept her a bit of an outsider.

Julia re Kathleen: "Her features are more pug in person and her teeth are badly capped..."

by Anonymousreply 346August 11, 2018 2:55 AM

R345 - Jewel Of The Nile was disappointing but I enjoyed the three stars appearing in Billy Ocean’s video. They looked like they were having a blast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347August 11, 2018 3:00 AM

r339

im almost certain michael douglas and turner had a long term fling.

by Anonymousreply 348August 11, 2018 3:01 AM

r347 yeah that is a fun video. RTS and JOTN are such fun memories of the '80s.

Interesting that Billy Ocean ended up getting the big song. Eddy Grant wrote and produced Romancing the Stone but there was some type of dispute with the producers and the song was cut from the film. Apparently a snippet of the instrumental is played but I don't recall hearing it. Great song, shame it was dropped. (The record cover used the font from the film poster).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349August 11, 2018 3:05 AM

Turner was fantastic is War of the Roses,

by Anonymousreply 350August 11, 2018 3:07 AM

Rephrase: The original RTS writer was killed shortly after the first film was completed. Or at least couldn't write the sequel since she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 351August 11, 2018 3:08 AM

She punches like a dude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352August 11, 2018 3:11 AM

If the screenwriter had been male, they would probably have paid up R336. She probably wasn't making that much to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 353August 11, 2018 3:29 AM

Actually, the screenwriter's death (her name was Diane Thomas) in 1985 is one for the numerous Steven Spielberg threads.

by Anonymousreply 354August 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Michael Caine was intended to be KT's co-star in that film based on HIs Girl Friday (spacing on its title). So she was justifiably grumpy to be presented with a smarmy Burt Reynolds instead.

by Anonymousreply 355August 11, 2018 12:21 PM

Interesting (well, I think it’s interesting, anyway!) Turner-related factoid: The role of Matty Walker in “Body Heat” was originally offered to Catherine Hicks, hot off her great reviews in the Marilyn Monroe miniseries. But Hicks was reluctant to take on two sexy roles in a row for fear of typecasting (not to mention being daunted by the nudity) so she turned the role down.

Hicks later co-starred with Turner in “Peggy Sue Got Married” (Turner’s best performance, IMO) and has said that she could never have played the role in “Body Heat” as well as Turner did.

by Anonymousreply 356August 11, 2018 4:15 PM

r356 So many recognizable names and faces in Peggy Sue Got Married, even in small roles: Catherine Hicks, Joan Allen, Helen Hunt, Jim Carrey, Barbara Harris, Maureen O'Sullivan, Marshall Crenshaw...

by Anonymousreply 357August 11, 2018 4:47 PM

WHET Catherine Hicks? Didn't she become a nurse or something?

by Anonymousreply 358August 11, 2018 4:52 PM

Good question, R358, I always liked Hicks. Checked IMDB, her last credit was 2016. I saw her in documentary on Netflix, “That Gal” about working in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 359August 11, 2018 4:58 PM

Hicks started on Ryans Hope with Kate Mulgrew. Hicks got "Tribune" on Broadway with Jack Lemmon over Mulgrew and there were some hard feelings over it.

She's very happily married and I think happily semi-retired. I think she'd do a role if asked but if she isn't asked, she won't pursue it.

by Anonymousreply 360August 11, 2018 5:06 PM

she looks a frau now!! like someone you would see pulling into Costco driving a Chevy Tahoe

by Anonymousreply 361August 11, 2018 5:30 PM

Well, Hicks was on 7th Heaven for a number of years. Of course, like the rest of the cast, she lost out to lots of residuals because of the fallout of the Stephen Collins scandal.

by Anonymousreply 362August 11, 2018 5:33 PM

Hicks was very likable in Sidney Lumet’s “Garbo Talks”.

by Anonymousreply 363August 11, 2018 5:38 PM

[quote] Pair her with Efron. Boom! $600 million.

Zac Efron could never have carried a film like that even in his heyday. And he's already been over for quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 364August 11, 2018 5:47 PM

For the last time: if she had meant Diane Keaton, she would have said forty or forty years ago, not twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 365August 11, 2018 5:49 PM

Catherine Hicks would have been so miscast in that role.

This scene alone made Turner a star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366August 11, 2018 5:55 PM

On DL, she is to be referred to as Nurse Catherine Hicks.

by Anonymousreply 367August 11, 2018 5:58 PM

R357 and don't forget Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 368August 11, 2018 6:09 PM

Those who are only familiar with Hicks as the preacher’s wife on that awful family show should seek out her performance as Marilyn Monroe. She is quite good. Unfortunately for her she got relegated to mom roles along with most actresses once they reached 35.

by Anonymousreply 369August 11, 2018 8:00 PM

[quote]WHET Catherine Hicks?

She does the autograph circuit now with Chucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370August 11, 2018 8:05 PM

Hicks as Marilyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371August 11, 2018 8:11 PM

Hicks at her best (MM movie wasn't one of them) was barely a walk on extra compared to KT in Body Heat.

by Anonymousreply 372August 11, 2018 8:19 PM

LOL, she's not even close to capturing Marilyn. It's almost as wrong as Jamie Lee Curtis playing Dorothy Stratten (!) TV movies were always parodies of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 373August 11, 2018 8:21 PM

I absolutely can NOT believe that no one's mentioned that La Hicks is Anne Welles #2!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374August 11, 2018 8:26 PM

I don't know her name but the actress who played Marilyn (Sarando played her mother) came closest to capturing something real of Monroe. The film wasn't great and no one is as beautiful as Marilyn, but this woman had her voice and her essence down. Who was it?

by Anonymousreply 375August 11, 2018 8:35 PM

Joan Allen played the girl in the wheelchair in Peggy Sue. A few years later Turner presented Allen with a Best Actress Tony for Burn This and I still remember a chill between them when Turner handed her the award. I really do believe the bitch stories about Turner when she was young, hot and successful.

by Anonymousreply 376August 11, 2018 9:34 PM

[quote] Joan Allen played the girl in the wheelchair in Peggy Sue. A few years later Turner presented Allen with a Best Actress Tony for Burn This and I still remember a chill between them when Turner handed her the award. I really do believe the bitch stories about Turner when she was young, hot and successful.

Why would there be a chill between them? Turner hadn't even done Broadway at that point and was a huge movie star.

by Anonymousreply 377August 11, 2018 9:36 PM

No chill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378August 11, 2018 9:43 PM

No, Joan Allen was Maddie the prude and on two legs. The wheelchair girl was Lucinda Jenney or Lucinda Dickey, one or the other. She also saw the rapist go off with Thelma in "Thelma and Louise". Good actress.

by Anonymousreply 379August 11, 2018 9:43 PM

Did Lucinda whoozits have any scenes during the teenage sequences?

by Anonymousreply 380August 11, 2018 9:49 PM

In the script, whole subplot of her getting paralyzed in gymnastics accident and Peggy trying to stop it on the same day when she goes back in time. Not in film. Not sure if they shot it or not but assume they did since she was still in wheelchair at reunion.

by Anonymousreply 381August 11, 2018 9:54 PM

I wish Kathleen had brought some of this fire to her interview on the Serial Mom Blu-ray. She let John Waters and Mink Stole talk right over her, and at one point Mink even makes fun of her right to her face. The whole thing was awkward!

by Anonymousreply 382August 11, 2018 10:06 PM

How could she be so cruel to the cast of Friends, especially while Matthew Perry is battling the effects of an assplosion?

by Anonymousreply 383August 11, 2018 10:07 PM

And I’m dying.

by Anonymousreply 384August 11, 2018 10:08 PM

And I have clitoral cancer of the tongue. Not from Kathleen, but from Cathy.

by Anonymousreply 385August 11, 2018 10:11 PM

That photo looks like a fat Brett Butler

by Anonymousreply 386August 11, 2018 10:13 PM

Does KT have any thoughts about the legendary Barbara Harris? I'm dying to know!

by Anonymousreply 387August 11, 2018 11:00 PM

I’m sure KT was disappointed at learning that Burt Reynolds was cast opposite her (and cannot day I necessarily blame her) but I call bullshit that he made her leave the room sobbing.

[quote] “The first day Burt came in he made me cry. He said something about not taking second place to a woman. His behavior was shocking. It never occurred to me that I wasn’t someone’s equal.”

[quote] She continued, “I left the room sobbing. I called my husband and said, ‘I don’t know what to do.’ He said, ‘You just do the job.’ It got to be very hostile because the crew began taking sides. But as for the performance, I was able to put the negativity aside. I’m not convinced Burt was.”

by Anonymousreply 388August 12, 2018 1:12 AM

Why is that unbelievable?

by Anonymousreply 389August 12, 2018 2:34 AM

I don't think it's unbelievable. Burt could be a real asshole.

However, I have to say I actually like Switching Channels. I think Reynolds, Turner and Reeve were all great.

by Anonymousreply 390August 12, 2018 2:40 AM

R390 she was pretty in that movie but already getting pudgy. It wasn’t all the RA that fucked up her looks. She’s an naturally big woman.

by Anonymousreply 391August 12, 2018 3:17 AM

Wasn't she also pregnant during the movie, r391? Maybe that's why she hates Burt so much because he was mean to her while pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 392August 12, 2018 3:22 AM

She have anything to say about Martin Short? MS, while appearing on Letterman, if memory serves, once did a pretty funny bit, describing KT and her speaking voice with words along the lines of "beautiful, but husky, and, and, little Spanish . . ."

by Anonymousreply 393August 12, 2018 4:03 AM

The actress she shades is definately Julia or Sandra. She would think nothing of badmouthing an Aniston or even a JLaw. I think she knows she probably shouldn't be trashing Roberts or Bullock in print. And perhaps even likes them but doesn't like their choices. Of the two I think Julia has mixed it up more than Sandy. Closer and AOC seem to be more exploratory choices than even Sandra's stunt casting in Crash. Plus Aniston isn't exactly movie rich. She's Tv rich and anything she's done on the big screen doesn't seem like anything Turner would be curious. She'd likely be more curious about watching something with a big time movie star.

by Anonymousreply 394August 12, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote]It wasn’t all the RA that fucked up her looks. She’s an naturally big woman. "

Thank you Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 395August 14, 2018 1:43 AM

elizabeth taylor is so corny and awful and let’s not even talk about how scary she looked in her old age

by Anonymousreply 396August 18, 2018 3:41 AM

no complaints regarding taylors looks, even when liz was morbidly obese she still had the flashing deep blue eyes and beautiful jet black hair.

the acting chops?

none.

taylor is stunningly beautiful, incomparably so in suddenly, last summer but her acting skills are so shoddy kate hepburns (another terrible actor) performance against her shines.

liz is also terrible in cat on a hot tin roof, father of the bride, etc.

a great big beautiful no talent movie star.

'we didnt need talent, we had faces then'!

by Anonymousreply 397August 18, 2018 5:40 AM

There's a reason why she had jet black hair in old age...

by Anonymousreply 398August 18, 2018 8:13 AM

After they removed Liz's brain in the early aughts she didn't have thick hair any more and she always wore cowboy boots and day jewelry. Very nice but she shouldn't have gone out to gay bars begging to be told she was beautiful. In the AFTERNOON. She had no shoes on at Liza's wedding but it was no problem. David Guest lent her a pair of his silver pumps. Liz never really stood up after 1985 anyway.

by Anonymousreply 399August 18, 2018 8:29 AM

r394 When I read the interview, Sandra immediately came to mind. Wasn't there something on DL about the Friends cast years ago and guest appearances? Surprisingly Courtney was the only somewhat cordial one.

by Anonymousreply 400August 18, 2018 8:37 AM

Diane Keaton for sure. With the Book Club just released, it is very evident Diane is still playing the kooky urbane mature, but still cool, lady role.

by Anonymousreply 401August 18, 2018 9:26 AM

R401 That makes complete sense to me now. Keaton hasn't done anything decent since Marvin's Room.

by Anonymousreply 402August 18, 2018 9:30 AM

For some reason, I still like Diane Keaton anyway. There must be a market for her films, since she keeps making them.

by Anonymousreply 403August 18, 2018 10:05 AM

It's a stretch, but could she be referring to Meryl Streep?

Meryl is the same 'pearl clutcher' in each movie over the past 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 404August 18, 2018 10:22 AM

No R404 she said they look the same in every film they've made in the last 20 years. She also goes on later in the interview giving Streep praise for her work.

by Anonymousreply 405August 18, 2018 10:43 AM

Thanks for that clip, r378. What excellent actresses, all of them. I wish I had seen any of those performances.

by Anonymousreply 406August 18, 2018 11:18 AM

Though Elizabeth Taylor was never much of an actress she somehow nevertheless consistently scored the female lead in so many prestigious films throughout the 1950s and 1960s, beginning with Giant (and ending with Va Woolf IMHO) when she was barely out of her teens.

For whatever reason, she rarely made light romantic comedies and was always considered a serious actress. Odd, in that she was supposedly one of the funniest women in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 407August 18, 2018 11:28 AM

*beginning with A PLACE IN THE SUN

by Anonymousreply 408August 18, 2018 12:13 PM

[quote[no complaints regarding taylors looks, even when liz was morbidly obese she still had the flashing deep blue eyes and beautiful jet black hair.

Violet, Dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409August 18, 2018 12:32 PM

The 20 years cunt missle could only be reasonably be aimed at Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts. Diane Keaton is like 300 years old. La Turner isn't even looking there.

by Anonymousreply 410August 18, 2018 11:54 PM

R410 I believe the suggestion isn't the address has only been working 20 years, but more so for the past 20 years they have been coasting along, and looks the same - same style, same trademarked 'cool mature Mom'.

Keaton use to do more varied and stretching roles in the 70s and 80s, but starting from the 90s, undertook effectively the same role - particularly the easy going woman who by the end of the end of the movie, stands up for themselves or 'let's go' a bit.

This is the Keaton role for the past 20 years starting with The First Wives Club all the way through to her current 'Club' movie 'The Book Club'.

by Anonymousreply 411August 19, 2018 12:17 AM

Tranny looking Kathy T isn't shading anyone but Julia and Sandra in that fabulous interview. Let her. My money's on Julia. The cuntinest of the two.

by Anonymousreply 412August 19, 2018 1:00 AM

Kath Turner is a DL icon after that interview.

by Anonymousreply 413August 19, 2018 1:03 AM

R411 Not to mention Turner has been known to be at least loose with the facts - I don’t think she’s sitting there counting the exact number of years X actress has been coasting, she was just going on a rant.

I’m inclined to guess Keaton because I’m sure she sees herself as part of the Keaton, Streep generation of actresses even if she’s a bit younger - and isn’t half the actress of either.

by Anonymousreply 414August 19, 2018 3:12 AM

Anyone who has seen Looking For Mr Goodbar knows Keaton is a real actress. And made experimental choices. Granted it was early on. I still don't think Turner would criticize her perceived generation. Probably more so the one after.

by Anonymousreply 415August 20, 2018 3:14 AM

Keaton has actually allowed herself to age--and, yeah, she's doing mom roles, but that's probably what she's offered. I doubt there's a ton of choice about it. Bullock and Roberts are in a much better position to pick and both are pretty much frozen in face.

by Anonymousreply 416August 20, 2018 4:07 AM

Well, Taylor has 2 more Oscars than Turner will ever have, so bloated, bitter Kathleen can suck it. Whatever her opinion, Taylor is considered a legend. Turner will barely be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 417August 20, 2018 4:27 AM

R417 three, if we count the honorary award for her humanitarian work.

by Anonymousreply 418August 20, 2018 3:16 PM

Incredible to think that Kathleen Turner was only ever nominated ONCE for an Oscar. Along with Peggy Sue one could make very good arguments for nominations for Body Heat, Crimes of Passion & Serial Mom as well. Other I'm sure would also throw in Romancing the Stone & Prizzi's Honour (she was the only cast member NOT to be nominated WTF).

Funny, in Marlee Matlin's book she mentions how Jane Fonda, Sissy Spacek & Sigourney Weaver all congratulated her on winning (Fonda using sign language BTW). Kathleen Turner isn't mentioned - maybe disappointment as at the time it was seen as a three horse race (Matlin, Spacek & Turner).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419August 20, 2018 3:39 PM

Bullock for sure. But what she said applies to all of them - Bullock, Roberts, Witherspoon.

I love Kathleen. I never completely got Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf until I saw her in it, and I had seen the movie and a couple of stage versions. She was heartbreaking in it.

by Anonymousreply 420August 24, 2018 8:07 PM

I don't think it applies to Julia Roberts. I don't like her one bit. But she does not play the same role over and over again. I will give her that.

by Anonymousreply 421August 24, 2018 8:10 PM

Keaton has done some great things but in the past 20 years, she hasn't varied at all and always looks the same. I think it is her.

by Anonymousreply 422August 24, 2018 8:27 PM

Hanoi appropriated Louise Fletcher’s heartwarming and heartbreaking Oscar acceptance speech to her deaf parents in sign language when she accepted her undeserved Oscar for the execrable Coming Home. Then she signs congratulations to Marlee Matlin on her win. Has the woman no shame?

by Anonymousreply 423August 24, 2018 9:58 PM

Roberts being the bigger name I tend to think that's who she trashed. Sandra despite her success is probably still overlooked by the first of her kind.

by Anonymousreply 424August 25, 2018 4:07 AM

La Turner wouldn't waster her time keeping up with any of those careers but Roberts. I doubt Sandy and Reese are on her radar

by Anonymousreply 425August 25, 2018 4:41 AM

r425 Yes, I'm sure she has little spare time.

by Anonymousreply 426August 25, 2018 5:39 AM

She's got a book to sell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427October 2, 2018 1:34 AM

Oooh, thanks for the heads up, ran to ebay to get it. 300 pages so hopefully more dish than her first (slim) one.

by Anonymousreply 428October 2, 2018 1:55 AM

I suppose the bitch will be running down Burt Reynolds & Another Perkins again. And she claimed in her fast rag that Ken Russell was a drunk. Bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 429October 3, 2018 2:03 PM

Wonder if she'll take on Nicolas Cage again. He sued the first time and won.

by Anonymousreply 430October 3, 2018 3:59 PM

I bruise and sue easily.

by Anonymousreply 431October 3, 2018 4:15 PM

R429 Ken Russell, a drunk??? How dare she!!!

by Anonymousreply 432October 3, 2018 8:16 PM

She thinks very highly of herself, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 433July 9, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] And Witherspoon? LOL she's not rich at all (by Hollywood standards).

This thread is from two years ago, but Witherspoon has actually made a ton of money from her production company, from her lifestyle company Draper James, and from her book club. I think she's a terrible human being, but I do admire her ability to make a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 434July 9, 2020 2:28 AM

Kathleen is very good on "Mom".

by Anonymousreply 435July 9, 2020 2:52 AM

R433 bumped a two year old thread to say something idiotic. Wow. Guess COVID really does cause brain damage.

by Anonymousreply 436July 9, 2020 3:00 AM

R436, R433 is bumping threads to get karma for her sockpuppet accounts. Here's how that works and why trolls do it:

You can only post to the Datalounge if you have a paid account, or if you have a free account with sufficient karma. How do you get that karma? You have to wait, but it helps if you post to threads and don't get downvoted. Which is why she chooses old threads to post to, thinking that nobody will notice what she's doing and won't downvote. She also usually posts a few more comments after her bump, in order to confuse the issue.

She has to do this continually, because in order to control trolls (hey webmaster - it's not enough!), Muriel locks threads after a certain threshold of unpaid posters have posted to the thread. When this happens, the trolls must start yet more new threads.

Why do they have to keep making new accounts? Because the trolls get FFed and their troll accounts get locked, making them useless. Then they have to create new accounts with new emails, and obtain enough karma to post and start threads. They bump old threads, and here we go again.

You can respond by FFing and blocking the troll who bumped the thread, in this case, R433. You may be astounded at how many threads get blocked, because you're blocking the troll's new threads too.

If you don't like it, write webmaster at datalounge dot com, and tell them that you don't like the constant sockpuppet trolling, and that they could easily stop it if they locked all old threads to new posts, say after 30 days of inactivity or so. This would stop people like R433. At this time, I don't think enough people have asked the webmaster to do this.

by Anonymousreply 437July 9, 2020 3:39 AM

The only reason I bumped the thread is because Switching Channels is on right now on Movies! I don't know what the hell a sock puppet is or why you think I am 2 different posters.

I thought we were supposed to have fun around here. Why be so serious? Who cares if I bumped a thread? Is that not allowed?

Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 438July 9, 2020 3:45 AM

I don't buy it R438. There are a bunch of bumped threads tonight, as there are many nights and mornings. You could start a new thread and link to the old one. Thread bumping wastes people's time reading old dead posts, clicking on dead links that sometimes host malware, and by giving trolls a chance to keep trolling.

Your comment in R433 offered nothing to any conversation about anything including the movie you claim to be interested in. It is a typical thread bump with throwaway content, basically a non sequitur.

by Anonymousreply 439July 9, 2020 5:00 AM

She should have played Katie Otto's mother on "American Housewife," instead of Wendie Malick. She and Katy Mixon look so much alike.

by Anonymousreply 440July 9, 2020 6:44 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 441December 1, 2020 1:25 PM

Love her to death.

by Anonymousreply 442December 1, 2020 3:33 PM

Oh do fuck off, R9.

by Anonymousreply 443December 1, 2020 3:35 PM

Does Kathleen ever mention that drunks like herself are generally difficult to get along with? I mean, she can be great, but, come on.

by Anonymousreply 444December 1, 2020 3:40 PM

Now she “shares a glass of red wine”? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 445December 1, 2020 4:11 PM

Why didn't they ask about her time on The Doctors? She worked with Alec Baldwin on that. She had a hilarious maid named Mildred.

by Anonymousreply 446December 1, 2020 4:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!