Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Star Max Minghella Says He Has ‘a Very Cynical View’ of His Gender

Max Minghella is speaking out in an interview with Glamour, out now.

Here's what the 32-year-old The Handmaid's Tale star had to say...

On his character Nick being guilty until proven innocent: “I mean, I feel all men are guilty until proven innocent, in general. Maybe that has to do with the fact that women have been subjugated for so long, or that men can be gross in a way woman rarely are. Having a been a man for 32 years, I’ve always had a very cynical view of my gender. I’m relieved the rest of the world is now sharing it.”

On being a "pop culture whore": “It’s completely true. I’m obsessed with pop culture. I really am. I’m not, like, a great intellectual. I’m a Top 40 guy, I’m really into Riverdale. I love that it’s so clean and pop-y on the surface with something so sinister underneath.”

On best friend, Jamie Bell, who is married to Max's ex-girlfriend Kate Mara: “Nobody’s ever asked me about that. I will tell you this: It’s a beautiful part of my life. I see them every single morning, and Jamie’s son is my godson. I can understand why the optics might be very confusing, but it’s not a complicated thing for us.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2019 11:02 PM

He see's them every morning? He lives with them?

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2018 6:58 AM

"I mean, I feel all men are guilty until proven innocent, in general." Creep alert.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2018 7:32 AM

This is such an odd interview.

He sounds like one of those over the top “male feminists” that may end up having dark secrets of his own revealed later on.

Sometimes guys who are *really intense* about being feminists and all “anti-patriarchy” end up being found out later to be creeps themselves. I don’t understand it (that kind of hypocrisy) but it has happened several times...

Or maybe he just really is an earnest, emotional guy who thinks most other men are evil? I guess it’s possible.

Still think it’s a bit odd that he was with Kate Mara for *years* and is super happy that she’s banging his best friend and that he sees them “every morning”. Even if you are still friends with your ex, that all still seems like a bit much...

(Also: his dad was the famous late director, Anthony Minghella, who directed films like “The English Patient” and “The Talented Mr. Ripley”; this new interview made me wonder (if Max is sincere) if he has always been “jaded” about the male sex because of things he witnessed his dad do, or if he’s just referring to all *other* men....)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2018 11:40 AM

What R2 said. Any man who believes that all men are evil/rapists etc. is a rapist who believes that all men are just like him...

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2018 11:52 AM

His current fanbase is viewers of The Handmaid’s Tale who are the ones reading this interview. He is pandering to them with his “Men Suck” moaning.

When this show is cancelled and he is cast in The Fast and the Furious, he will do interviews about how he was always a gearhead who believes that one’s car is a manifestation of the soul.

Typical Hollywood PR claptrap.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2018 12:09 PM

Gender threads are division threads.

You’re being programmed to hate.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2018 12:16 PM

He's a child of privilege so of course he's cynical --agree,this is all a PR hand job

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2018 1:02 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 9:38 AM

That is strange that he sees Jamie and Kate every morning. It sounds very Honeymooners/Flintstones.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 9:41 AM

Handmaid's Tale and Dietland have been my favorite shows this year. That and the Dietland post show with Aisha Tyler.

Oh, and Pose.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2018 9:43 AM

His Dad was a great director. Max was good in The Social Network.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2018 9:44 AM

Jamie Bell is already on his 2nd marriage?

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2018 10:16 AM

Scratch the surface of any straight guy and you'll find he's done awful shit. There's no end to the entitlement they feel. Any semblence of ethics , moral compass or empathy is purely for show and dependant on their personal desires.

( I may be feeling extra cynical today because I just discovered someone I thought was one of the best did some awful shit.)

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2018 10:31 AM

Amen to R5 and R7

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2018 10:37 AM

Max Minghella gives a decent performance in "Art School Confidential".

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 11:00 AM

Agree with R14 -- R5 and R7 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2018 11:27 AM

Really R2 and R4?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2018 11:42 AM

Well done, r17.

Misogyny on the left must be acknowledged first in order for anything to be done about it.

Does the left have the will, though, to confront our own hostility toward women & girls?

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2018 3:46 PM

I think Max has too much estrogen in his system.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2018 3:58 PM

And that, R17, is why Bernie Sanders will never be president.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2018 4:01 PM

^^ Bernie won't ever be President because he'll be dead by 2020.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2018 4:02 PM

All men are guilty til proven innocent?

What an absurd thing to say, he is trying way too hard to "sound woke".

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2018 4:10 PM

R22, I have friends who will never leave their kids alone with a man/men. No matter how close they’ve known the guy, or how likable he is, it’s just not with the risk. Women have gotten burned so many times...and pervs target single moms.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2018 4:19 PM

Instead of white guilt, he has male guilt.

God I am so sick of SJW millennials.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2018 4:21 PM

Males should feel guilt...they commit 90% of all homocides. They constructed patriarchy & force the rest of us to live within it.

They are why we have Trump in the White House...and zero effort to get rid of him, but much effort to protect him.

Own it. I’m sick of the hypocrisy & double-standards. Men run the world, and the world is fucked up. They need to sit down.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2018 4:25 PM

So stereotyping people based on race is bad but stereotyping them based on their sex is okay?

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2018 4:48 PM

What a soy eating cuck!

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2018 4:49 PM

R25 makes some valid points.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2018 9:09 PM

So the tiresome narrative of men all being evil, and women all being victims rolls on Yawwwn!

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2018 9:36 PM

Then end toxic masculinity, r29, & respect women.

The truth is that it would just as healing to men to value women & listen to women as it would be for women. The entire world would be better off...all of us. If feminine power & energy were as valued as male.

I don’t hate men. They have fantastic qualities. But the power is not balanced. We will all suffer if the status quo continue.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 5:28 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2018 12:03 PM

Does anyone remember the last thing they did "as a gender"? I just don't get this. When I make choices everyday as an adult, I'm the only one making those choices, I don't have a guardian or conservator and I'm responsible for the choices I make, not the guy at the gas station, some movie star or my Senator.

I don't get moral collectivism. Yes, societies have norms and values but that's a reflection of the accumulated behaviors and choices of the individuals who make up a whole. You can even claim something is a "national value" but, like it or not, it really isn't if 80% of a nation doesn't agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2018 12:21 PM

I'm grateful for the white men who use the term "SJW" so that I know I never ever need to hear another of their opinions again.

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2018 12:30 PM

So... he's gay?

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2018 1:37 PM

Ugh creep, and he's dating dakota fanning's lil sis, gross! Hope he dies in tht!

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2018 4:52 PM

[quote]not the guy at the gas station

From now on pump your own bub.

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2018 4:58 PM

R36 For not blaming him for any poor actions I should choose to make? I continue to expect full service.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2018 5:00 PM

[quote]I continue to expect full service. Twice on Mondays

And I expect you to pay twice as much. Full service hurts my back sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2018 5:03 PM

r13 you are absurd. Scratch the surface of almost anybody any you will find they have done awful things. Out of curiosity what did your former friend do ? Vote republican perhaps ? As far as people and their ethics, morality and moral compass. It can change for most , depending who is in the room.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2018 12:34 PM

Hes a barely male version of Lens Dunham.

Congratulations, Max.

Check your crotch. I think your balls are missing.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2018 12:44 PM

Yes, r35 that's the rumour. He's dating 20 year old Elle Fanning who starred in the movie he was directing. (she was probably younger than that when they met). So basically he bangs on about feminism and how men subjugate women then dates a junior 13 years younger. Don't pretend, Max and come out with all the #metoo stuff though maybe it's got you a shag with Elle.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2018 12:50 PM

This thread is full of Beef Curtain Alley Fauloons.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2018 12:55 PM

What a virtue signalling asshole. Be sure the people who preach this kind of thing don't really practice it. It's all to gain favour with the new social climate.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2018 2:08 PM

[quote]Scratch the surface of almost anybody any you will find they have done awful things.

Well, it's true that almost everybody has faults and has made mistakes, but not everyone does "awful things".

I don't think all of us end up assaulting someone or committing murder.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2018 8:06 PM

Annoying but he's so damn cute, I will forgive him. One I would happily fuck in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2018 8:40 PM

What's the issue with a single man banging a single 20 year old hottie?

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2018 9:52 PM

What's the issue with a single girl banging a 32 year old hottie?

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2019 12:00 PM

I'm also confused why men are put on a pedestal, no questions asked. The ultimate prize, if you're lucky enough to nab one!

As a gay man I've grown to consider them a liability. They can do incredible damage to your life.

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2019 12:45 PM

R48 Sounds like you have some issues to work through there.

by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2019 12:47 PM

[quote]I mean, I feel all men are guilty until proven innocent, in general.

He must think that all men think like straight men / men who sleep with women.

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2019 12:52 PM

[quote] He's dating 20 year old Elle Fanning who starred in the movie he was directing. (she was probably younger than that when they met).

Yeah, that isn't the best look.

by Anonymousreply 51March 14, 2019 1:07 PM

Is he still dating Elle??

by Anonymousreply 52March 14, 2019 2:23 PM

😑

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2019 6:08 AM

R52 I think so.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2019 8:58 AM

He was in Feb, but this is Hollywood time, so everything's accelerated!

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2019 9:10 AM

Apparently, he went to her 21st birthday party recently. However, he keeps dodging the question when asked and her side aren't saying anything. Maybe they realise it's not a good look preaching about #metoo and lecturing at men when you're a 33 year old dating someone almost half your age that you cast in your movie (and you probably met when she was 18)

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2019 9:30 AM

With all the actresses he meets, couldn't he have found someone a little closer to his age?

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2019 9:39 AM

[quote]R1: He see's them every morning?

Oh, dear fucking God.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2019 9:43 AM

He sounds insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2019 10:48 AM

So judging women collectively is misogyny, but judging men collectively is ok and just?? The hypocrisy never ends!

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2019 12:14 PM

Max Minghella: “I Was Raised Almost Entirely by Gay Men”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2019 6:06 PM

I automatically block anyone who uses that term or "virtue signaling," r33. I know I don't need to hear anything else they have to say once I see them.

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2019 6:25 PM

This post needs butt shots. It’s round, with a deep crevice

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2019 6:32 PM

I liked him in the interview in r61. He seems interesting.

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2019 11:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!